homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Things we did   » Auctions   » The Peanut Gallery (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The Peanut Gallery
Auctioneer

Going... going... gone!
# 12

- Posted      Profile for Auctioneer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Step right this way... the Peanut Gallery is now open!

This is the right place for your sage observations, jokes at the expense of the nouveau riche, catcalls and banter. Serious questions for the management (e.g. about avatars, titles, the auction rules, etc. etc.) don't belong here, so please post them on the other top-of-page auction threads.

Thankyew.

Fen Church
Shipmate
# 9899

- Posted      Profile for Fen Church   Email Fen Church   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think that Sine feels that $100 to be 21 again is cheaper than plastic surgery.

--------------------
"I always thought God was just for athletes and Grammy winners, but he's there for me too." - Homer J. Simpson

Posts: 257 | From: London | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Paige
Shipmate
# 2261

- Posted      Profile for Paige   Email Paige   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fen Church:
I think that Sine feels that $100 to be 21 again is cheaper than plastic surgery.

Since he doesn't need plastic surgery, I think he's just a show-off. [Devil]

--------------------
Sister Jackhammer of Quiet Reflection

Posts: 886 | From: Sweet Tea Land, USA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder how high he's willing to go. Probably higher than me, but we'll see...

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Could someone bid for #1000 please? I only bid to be first bidder.

Ho hum, I'll regard it as part of my tithe. I wonder if the elders will?

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Could someone bid for #1000 please? I only bid to be first bidder.

Plenty of time yet. The serious bidding probably won't start until the last few days before the auction closes.

These are just the first few 'feeler' bids, to test the water as it were...

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead*     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Smart move on Pyx_e’s part, I think. Mention of his “lucky number” makes a dubious (im)moral claim to the number (which might dissuade the fluffy bunnies). In the scale of things 24 isn’t greatly different from 21 as a number, but is likely to be much cheaper.

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Posts: 7082 | From: Turbolift Control. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Matrix
Shipmate
# 3452

- Posted      Profile for Matrix     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sine's trying to blow the competition out of the water before they start!

Those poor african children though...

M

--------------------
Maybe that's all a family really is; a group of people who miss the same imaginary place. - Garden State

Posts: 3847 | From: The courts of the King | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chapelhead:
Smart move on Pyx_e’s part, I think. Mention of his “lucky number” makes a dubious (im)moral claim to the number (which might dissuade the fluffy bunnies). In the scale of things 24 isn’t greatly different from 21 as a number, but is likely to be much cheaper.

(plus the hint at my lowly finacial status [Biased] )

P

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Fen Church
Shipmate
# 9899

- Posted      Profile for Fen Church   Email Fen Church   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, but the gaps are getting smaller in the blackjack bidding war. Only up $25 this time.

--------------------
"I always thought God was just for athletes and Grammy winners, but he's there for me too." - Homer J. Simpson

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
Originally posted by Matrix:
Sine's trying to blow the competition out of the water before they start!

Not that there's any way of knowing before 12:01pm on the 2nd of September, but I wouldn't be surprised if we haven't even reached the reserve price on #21 yet [Biased] ...

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Jen.

Godless Liberal
# 3131

- Posted      Profile for Jen.   Email Jen.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmm. this bidding stuff is slightly addictive. I don't even really want things... but as always want to be involved.

J

--------------------
Was Jenny Ann, but fancied being more minimal.

Posts: 5318 | From: Manchester, England | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alicďa
Shipmate
# 7668

- Posted      Profile for Alicďa   Email Alicďa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jenny Ann:
Hmm. this bidding stuff is slightly addictive. I don't even really want things... but as always want to be involved.

J

damn! thats what gets me too!
I'm a bit like this with shopping too, I always buy things I don't really need.

--------------------
"The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world." Georgia Elma Harkness

Posts: 884 | From: Where the Art is. | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead*     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I suppose it's the odd combination of shopping and gambling that's addictive.

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Posts: 7082 | From: Turbolift Control. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ooohh. I love Sine's style.
[Axe murder]

[Checks self in the mirror: Nup. Never make the Pool Attendant look I'm afraid]

Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Fen Church
Shipmate
# 9899

Sorry, Cooty, it takes at least 5 A* at A level these days to qualify as a pool boy.

Thankfully, that is now an easy set of qualifications to get!

--------------------

dolphy

Lady of Perpetual Responsiblity
# 862

- Posted      Profile for dolphy   Email dolphy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jenny Ann: Hmm. this bidding stuff is slightly addictive. I don't even really want things... but as always want to be involved.
On a par with Ebay!

<wonders when the first support thread will be started! [Two face] >

--------------------
Looking forward to my rock moving closer again.

Posts: 15134 | From: my camper van | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Auctioneer:
This is the right place for your sage observations, jokes at the expense of the nouveau riche, catcalls and banter.

Right. I keep looking at that avatar and thinking: cocktail sausage on a mattress.
Jen.

Godless Liberal
# 3131

- Posted      Profile for Jen.   Email Jen.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dolphy:
quote:
Originally posted by Jenny Ann: Hmm. this bidding stuff is slightly addictive. I don't even really want things... but as always want to be involved.
On a par with Ebay!
oh no, i don't like ebay. far too scary. this seems much safer (well, it will be until stoo comes back and sees What I Have Done™

J

--------------------

jedijudy*

Jedi defender of ship's cats
# 1059

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy*   Email jedijudy*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just wondering why Sister Dolphy bid on a higher number than she now possesses? [Biased]

--------------------
ENFP...do you see a "T" anywhere??? I don't think so.

Posts: 3248 | From: Soon to be inhabiting identity # 333!!! | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Matrix
Shipmate
# 3452

- Posted      Profile for Matrix     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
Just wondering why Sister Dolphy bid on a higher number than she now possesses? [Biased]

It's the thrill of it all...

333 a special number for you? It kinda has a jedi ring to it, but i don't know why.

M

--------------------
Maybe that's all a family really is; a group of people who miss the same imaginary place. - Garden State

Posts: 3847 | From: The courts of the King | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
SteveTom
Contributing Editor
# 23

- Posted      Profile for SteveTom   Author's homepage   Email SteveTom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
I keep looking at that avatar and thinking: cocktail sausage on a mattress.

That's either an unfeasibly small mattress or a bloody big cocktail sausage.

--------------------
I saw a naked picture of me on the internet
Wearing Jesus's new snowshoes.
Well, golly gee.
- Eels

Posts: 1363 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
dolphy

# 862

- Posted      Profile for dolphy   Email dolphy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy: Just wondering why Sister Dolphy bid on a higher number than she now possesses? [Biased]
Because I can [Snigger]

--------------------

Liopleurodon

Mighty sea creature
# 4836

- Posted      Profile for Liopleurodon   Email Liopleurodon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmm, I have these guys just around the corner from me... I wonder if they would be interested. Maybe they could have a whipround for their "sacred" number.

(Incidentally, should anyone be interested, I'm sure that they more than qualify for the fruitcake zone.)

--------------------
Our God is an awesome God. Much better than that ridiculous God that Desert Bluffs has. - Welcome to Night Vale

Posts: 1921 | From: Lurking under the ship | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

There's some pretty frenetic bidding going on here. I hate to think what the bids will be up to in a fortnight [Ultra confused] ...

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I was wondering that about Curious who is bidding for 777 despite having a two digit number (93) already!

Curious indeed!

Carys (who is perfectly content to remain number 78!)

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
dolphy

# 862

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
There's some pretty frenetic bidding going on here.

And that is just from you No 1000, in your dreams [Biased]

As for bidding on a number higher than ones own, I don't see no rules about that. Perhaps some of us would like the number since we have warmed to it, perhaps it has sentimental values, perhaps we are happy to give our money to the organ fund (or perhaps just donate our organs!), or perhaps we are just plain nuts! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
As for bidding on a number higher than ones own, I don't see no rules about that. Perhaps some of us would like the number since we have warmed to it, perhaps it has sentimental values, perhaps we are happy to give our money to the organ fund (or perhaps just donate our organs!), or perhaps we are just plain nuts! [Big Grin]

The last part almost certainly applies - but having finally reached 1000 posts with a two-digit number, perhaps I shouldn't feel too nutty... [Razz]

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember Alan Clark being snotty about the sort of people who bought their own furniture.

I forsee a trend of people being snotty about people who bought their low number.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
JimT

Ship'th Mythtic
# 142

- Posted      Profile for JimT     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can you believe the cheap bastards scrapping for 777? I bet that's going to be the most hotly contested bidding.

Prediction: soon they will be including cents (pennies, $0.01s).

Scrappy lot of blue collar riff-raff, you ask me.

Posts: 2619 | From: Now On | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alicďa
Shipmate
# 7668

- Posted      Profile for Alicďa   Email Alicďa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JimmyT:
Can you believe the cheap bastards scrapping for 777? I bet that's going to be the most hotly contested bidding.

Hey! one of those cheap bastards would be me ... and bids of Ł1 are perfectly within the rules [Razz]

I'm a hard up student, thats my excuse and I'ms ticking to it!

[ 18. August 2005, 15:14: Message edited by: Lady Alicia of Scouseland ]

--------------------
"The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world." Georgia Elma Harkness

Posts: 884 | From: Where the Art is. | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Matrix
Shipmate
# 3452

quote:

Did we ask you, huh, did we?

[Razz]

anyway, Simon says we have to bid in whole $s.

M

--------------------

Pânts*

Ship's underwear
# 4487

- Posted      Profile for Pânts*   Author's homepage   Email Pânts*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
There's some pretty frenetic bidding going on here.

And that is just from you No 1000, in your dreams [Biased]

Definitely the latter.

--------------------
I'm not here any more. Dial 999 to get me. (No. Please don't really. Bit you could PM me on my new number cos I never get PMs!)

Posts: 8380 | From: The Stables | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
JimT

Ship'th Mythtic
# 142

- Posted      Profile for JimT     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, that explains why there were no pennies. I was wondering...

OK, so do you want my number? 14 divided by 2 is 7. Very secret. Very DaVinci.

JimT

Ship'th Mythtic
# 142

Hey hey: 1 + 4 + 2 = 7! That's two sevens. Gotta find the third...
dolphy

# 862

quote:
OK, so do you want my number? 14 divided by 2 is 7. Very secret. Very DaVinci.

Codes have been broken before [Biased] [Razz]

--------------------

Sine Nomine*

Ship's backstabbing bastard
# 3631

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine*   Email Sine Nomine*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callan:
I remember Alan Clark being snotty about the sort of people who bought their own furniture.

I forsee a trend of people being snotty about people who bought their low number.

Of course we will, human nature being what it is. It's so easy to look down on New Money, but they're generally the folks who, for social reasons, financially support the museums, operas and symphonies...or the organ fund, as the case may be.

I, of course, can afford to pay extravagantly for any number I wish, since I've never had to buy any furniture or flat silver myself. Ok. A mattress. But who wants Grandmother's mattress? Not me.

JimT

Ship'th Mythtic
# 142

OK. 4 + 2 = 6 and 42/6 = 7. Then 1 * 7 = 7. That's the other 7.

I already have a secret 777 number!

JimT

Ship'th Mythtic
# 142

quote:
Originally posted by Sine Nomine:
I, of course, can afford to pay extravagantly for any number I wish...

If I were still a Beltway Bandit, I'd spank you like I was your Daddy, young man. You shoulda seen me when I was in my financial prime! Why I'd...

These very butch feelings of exclusivity and achievement are welling up in me during this highly ritualistic process...

Get thee behind me Jesus! Don't make me do it!

strathclydezero

# 180

- Posted      Profile for strathclydezero   Email strathclydezero   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Hey hey: 1 + 4 + 2 = 7! That's two sevens. Gotta find the third...

2^(4-1)-1

Damn, needed the 1 twice.

[ 18. August 2005, 15:28: Message edited by: strathclydezero ]

--------------------
All religions will pass, but this will remain:
simply sitting in a chair and looking in the distance.
V V Rozanov

Posts: 3276 | From: The Near East | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jen.

Godless Liberal
# 3131

well, thats me out of the running for 24.

ah well, I was winning for a while.

J

--------------------

dolphy

# 862

quote:

There are other numbers to bid on. I assume you know Stoo's bank details [Biased] [Snigger]

--------------------

Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

- Posted      Profile for Papio   Email Papio   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why did I have to sodding skint when this happened? [brick wall] [brick wall] [brick wall] [brick wall]

If I was more immature than I am, I would sulk. [Frown]

The only one I really wanted was #21, and I was out of the running immediately.

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Posts: 12176 | From: a zoo in England. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy*

Jedi defender of ship's cats
# 1059

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy*   Email jedijudy*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matrix:
quote:

It's the thrill of it all...

333 a special number for you? It kinda has a jedi ring to it, but i don't know why.

M

[Big Grin] Exactly! Plus, they add up to 9, which has always been a favorite number of mine because of all the fun they provide in addition and multiplication. OK, that's Way Too Much Information about how I get my kicks. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
ENFP...do you see a "T" anywhere??? I don't think so.

Posts: 3248 | From: Soon to be inhabiting identity # 333!!! | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
strathclydezero

# 180

- Posted      Profile for strathclydezero   Email strathclydezero   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Still no silly money on 37. Double digits are still affordable.

--------------------
All religions will pass, but this will remain:
simply sitting in a chair and looking in the distance.
V V Rozanov

Posts: 3276 | From: The Near East | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jen.

Godless Liberal
# 3131

quote:
quote:

There are other numbers to bid on. I assume you know Stoo's bank details [Biased] [Snigger]
He he he, that would be bad.

And he would get cross.

and now papio has bid against me for 37. its not fair!

J// goes off muttering,people bidding against you isn't personal...

--------------------

Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

- Posted      Profile for Papio   Email Papio   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jenny Ann: I hope you won't mind me saying this, but the several times I have met you, you seemed like a decent person. It isn't personal.

I have just decided my credit card can cope, as I will be earning soon. [Snigger]

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Posts: 12176 | From: a zoo in England. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jen.

Godless Liberal
# 3131

quote:
Originally posted by Papio.:
Jenny Ann: the several times I have met you, you seemed like a decent person.

Mwahahahahahahahaha! The Plan worked!

J

--------------------

JimT

Ship'th Mythtic
# 142

Yeeeesss, iGeek! Strike a blow for Project Mgt Consultants everywhere!!

Sine, you can't touch IT consulting money. You just can't.

dolphy

# 862

Keep your eyes on the Jedi... I thought she was fibbing about having more money than sense!

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Unfeature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016