homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Things we did   » Auctions   » The Peanut Gallery (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The Peanut Gallery
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Who said anything about the Ship's account? [Big Grin]

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now, Erin. We both know it's all about supporting the ship! You wouldn't cling to that meaningless number if it meant a nice contribution would you? [Big Grin]

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
2 isn't meaningless! I'd give my eyeteeth (if they hadn't been pulled in jr. high) for #2--it's the only even prime number. Extremely cool.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
$250 to the Ship if you'll give up yours, Ruth! [Snigger]

--------------------

Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

I'd give a right arm to be a fly on the wall of the Host's board right now. [Killing me]

--------------------

Sine Nomine*

Ship's backstabbing bastard
# 3631

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine*   Email Sine Nomine*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You know, there's only so much one can share with one's real life friends. A little earlier I was trying to explain to someone about the auction and when I mentioned a sum I was willing to pay for some number on an internet discussion he looked at me very strangely. Indeed the invitation I had been expecting was not forthcoming.

Which is rather disappointing since things had been going swimmingly to date. Perhaps I shall tell him I was making the whole thing up. Better to be thought a liar than a fruitcake I suppose.

JimT

Ship'th Mythtic
# 142

- Posted      Profile for JimT     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sine, has he any idea that your current number is a rather slummy and highly undesirable 3631? Has he any idea that it is a Christian discussion group where you are affectionately known as the "backstabbing bastard" of the group? A few small details like that should straighten things out.
Posts: 2619 | From: Now On | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gort:

Not even close to enough. But thanks for asking.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'd give a right arm to be a fly on the wall of the Host's board right now.

No you wouldn't. It's all dull as ditchwater housekeeping stuff like "Oh, look. Purgatory has nine pages of threads, it's time to remove the less worthy old ones. Are there any we want to keep?". It's like church committee meetings, only more so. All very worthy, but not worth an arm.

Trust me, I'm a mad scientist.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine*   Email Sine Nomine*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
quote:

Really, Gort. I can't believe you'd think Ruth could be bought for so paltry a sum. You shouldn't listen to cafe gossip. It's probably not true.
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pyx_e, don't do it. Don't give up 57. 57 is a number that's full of beans and variety. You don't really want to be 24.
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't worry it went past my penurious purse five minutes after Sine threw petrol on the bonfire.

P

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Left at the Altar

Ship's Siren
# 5077

- Posted      Profile for Left at the Altar         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sine Nomine:
You know, there's only so much one can share with one's real life friends. A little earlier I was trying to explain to someone about the auction and when I mentioned a sum I was willing to pay for some number on an internet discussion he looked at me very strangely. Indeed the invitation I had been expecting was not forthcoming.

Which is rather disappointing since things had been going swimmingly to date. Perhaps I shall tell him I was making the whole thing up. Better to be thought a liar than a fruitcake I suppose.

Didn't you show him your Bobble-head Jesus? Numbers aren't everything, Sine.

--------------------
Still pretty Amazing, but no longer Mavis.

Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sure it indicates something unfortunate about me, but I can't think of a sum for which I'd give up my beloved "10". It's so ... low, so complete, so indicative of quality, so straight yet so round.

Ruth: Raoul won't be free until after my vacation next week. But he only hangs out with people with numbers below 100. [Big Grin]

Sine is clearly trying to drive the bidding up in an effort to help the ship. I suspect he secretly adores his number, and wouldn't trade it for anything.

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

Posts: 16883 | From: East Coast, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead*     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Laura:
Sine is clearly trying to drive the bidding up in an effort to help the ship. I suspect he secretly adores his number, and wouldn't trade it for anything.

I'm not so sure. I suspect he might give quite a bit for your number, in order to become, "the big one, oh!"

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Posts: 7082 | From: Turbolift Control. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I suspect he secretly adores his number, and wouldn't trade it for anything.
I can think of LOTS of things he would trade his number for ; eternal youth , diamonds , one more night with ********** (name delted to protect the innocent) , a wrinkle cream that worked , pianists hands ...........

P

--------------------

John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I really love my number. I might consider 222... 3 swans floating in a row, or maybe that should be coots [Bingo voice: 2 little ducks, 22], but there is something nice about 220. It reminds me of the Leunig cartoon where a pixie in a tugboat (hidden from view) is pushing a very weary looking swan forward.

Of course, 22o would work better for that.

Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's an interesting observation: I was just browsing through Limbo (as you do), and it appears that whoever buys Lot 4 (#66) gets a free post in Limbo into the bargain.

In fact, looking at the most recent posts for that number, they'll get four free posts [Big Grin] ...

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
quote:
I'd give a right arm to be a fly on the wall of the Host's board right now.

No you wouldn't. It's all dull as ditchwater housekeeping stuff [...]
Never anything like, "What are we gonna do about so-and-so toeing the line?" or "Why are the Purg threads always going off on prurient tangents?" I always thought it would more exciting gossipy stuff. [dang]
quote:
Originally posted by Sine Nomine:
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
quote:

Really, Gort. I can't believe you'd think Ruth could be bought for so paltry a sum. You shouldn't listen to cafe gossip. It's probably not true.
Hmmm. Here I was thinking we were all supporting a noble cause purely for philanthropic ideals. Is there no double-digit member who will demonstrate their lack of pride by sacrificing for the greater good?

Name your price, Ruth! [Two face]

--------------------

jedijudy*

Jedi defender of ship's cats
# 1059

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy*   Email jedijudy*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by strathclydezero and followed somewhat later by Pyx_e:
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
Ruth, 13 is my very favoritest number! I turned 13 y-o on Friday the 13th of a particular year long, long ago!

1913?
Sound I so old to young Shipmates? [Biased]

I think my very own #1059, a comfortably low example of a four-digit number, is looking quite nice right about now.

The lottery that Sister Dolphy isn't going to tell y'all that I won was a lottery for volunteer w*rk at the local park.

I won "Clean the Toilets".

So, unless I can bid using cleaning materials (slightly used) I think I'll be quite happy to watch y'all bid (and for some numbers higher than mine! [Yipee] )

--------------------
ENFP...do you see a "T" anywhere??? I don't think so.

Posts: 3248 | From: Soon to be inhabiting identity # 333!!! | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead*     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Much like the original, the Battle of Hastings seems to be turning into a slugfest.

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

JimT

Ship'th Mythtic
# 142

- Posted      Profile for JimT     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Slugfest? It's just numbers. You need to insult people back and forth, like IngoB is doing. It's hard not to bid on that one.

Until I remind myself that my number has all the digits in the two most hotly contested numbers: 21 and 24. Also, I see my four sisters flanked by my parents to the right and me predictably to the left. In keeping with Unitarian tendencies, three is avoided, but in keeping with a Trinitarian background, three is everywhere implied, as shown before (1+2, 4-1).

God has clearly assigned me my number.

I'm going to read Daniel now.

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JimmyT:
three is everywhere implied, as shown before (1+2, 4-1).

Don't forget 1+4-2. They're even in the same order then...

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cancel what I said about Martin PC Not. I think you are channelling John D. Miller, JimmyT.

For the unaware, I googled Mr Miller and SoF hoping to get Simon's Vale to him, but instead turned up an amusing blog where an entry was praised as 'beyond Ship of Fools-worthy'. The comment list also contained a coherent post by Mr Miller and ('Gold! Gold! A sausage roll!) a link to him in top form.

Go here and scroll down to 'The Great Pyramid and Crop Circles'.

Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

- Posted      Profile for Flausa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JimmyT:
You need to insult people back and forth, like IngoB is doing.

Which sort of begs the question as to how insulting we can be.
Posts: 4610 | From: bonny Scotland | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
JimT

Ship'th Mythtic
# 142

quote:
Originally posted by The Coot:
I think you are channelling John D. Miller, JimmyT.

It's nothing to do with channeling. Some of us simply will not tolerate the tyranny of one personality.
Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

Will no-one else take pity on poor 1966, languishing on $25?

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

- Posted      Profile for Flausa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No one is stopping you from bidding for it, Chapelhead.
Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

quote:
Originally posted by Flausa:
No one is stopping you from bidding for it, Chapelhead.

I have my objective, and at the moment it seems to be mine, all mine, [Devil]

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

Yay for basso, yay for basso! [Smile]

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Traveller
Shipmate
# 1943

- Posted      Profile for Traveller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Laura's number is the perfect geek number in binary, forget about 256. Someone (I forget who) has the sig "There are 10 sorts of people: those who understand binary and those that don't" [Big Grin]

--------------------
I will sing unto the Lord as long as I live:
I will praise my God while I have my being.
Psalm 104 v.33

Posts: 1037 | From: Wherever the car has stopped at the moment! | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Omigod! That means Laura is the binary version of Erin. [Paranoid]
Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chapelhead:

neener, neener, neener! [Razz]
Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

quote:
Originally posted by jlg:
Omigod! That means Laura is the binary version of Erin. [Paranoid]

There are times when the whole universe suddenly seems to make sense.

They usually involve alcohol.

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Traveller:
Someone (I forget who) has the sig "There are 10 sorts of people: those who understand binary and those that don't" [Big Grin]

Several people have used that for their sig. At the moment, A Feminine Force has it.

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
Will no-one else take pity on poor 1966, languishing on $25?

Perhaps they think it's all over?

--------------------

Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

I'm not sure if that's [Killing me] or [Roll Eyes] .

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

Did IngoB just crack a joke?

P

--------------------

babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Which sort of begs the question as to how insulting we can be.

I don't care. [Big Grin] Flausa and IngoB's banter make the 'fight for 95' the only auction thread worth reading.
Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

quote:
Originally posted by jlg:
quote:

neener, neener, neener! [Razz]
And neener ne ne neer ne, back to ya. [Razz]

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

$320? some poor wedding couple are getting fleesed for this. How will you be able to afford to fill up your Vantage ?

P

--------------------

dolphy

Lady of Perpetual Responsiblity
# 862

- Posted      Profile for dolphy   Email dolphy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:
$320?

Sheesh, some people have more money than sense! [Eek!]

--------------------
Looking forward to my rock moving closer again.

Posts: 15134 | From: my camper van | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

Er, no, dolphy - you are not looking at this in the right perspective. These are the generous and charitable people who are helping out the Ship.

Also, they are self-selecting as the rich people would-be trophy boys and girls should practise falling in love with. (It is as easy to fall in love with a rich person as a poor person after all)

[Angel]

[ 20. August 2005, 13:35: Message edited by: The Coot ]

Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

Actually it's just a return to the 1980s.

Gordon Gekko, greed is good, stripey shirts and red braces all round.

[Devil] [Devil]

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

quote:
Originally posted by babybear:
Flausa and IngoB's banter make the 'fight for 95' the only auction thread worth reading.

Well, if you want to help the banter continue, you could always PM with a dollar amount that you'd be willing to chip in. All for the Ship's cause, of course. [Big Grin]
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

quote:
Originally posted by dolphy:
quote:
$320?

Sheesh, some people have more money than sense! [Eek!]
If some people had $1 they would have more money than sense, mentioning no names..........

P

--------------------

dolphy

# 862

- Posted      Profile for dolphy   Email dolphy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If some people had $1 they would have more money than sense, mentioning no names..........

Well isn't it funny how some people who have only $1 have been bidding, perhaps you are right, perhaps they have no sense. [Razz]

--------------------

Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

You know, at first I thought this auctioning numbers thing was a bit silly. Now I know it's silly, but I'm really enjoying myself. I also decided, well if Sine thinks it's the socially acceptable thing to do, then how can I not participate. [Biased]

P.S. To the amazing and gracious poster who's just PM'd me about Lot 95 - your PM box is full! Open up a slot so I can PM you back.

dolphy

# 862

quote:
Originally posted by Flausa: I also decided, well if Sine thinks it's the socially acceptable thing to do, then how can I not participate. [Biased]
OMG, I never realised that Sine was the genius behind the auction. In this case I will call my broker right now and then start bidding once more. *I wonder if if should shower and dress in my best beige suit in order to make the call!*

--------------------

Sine Nomine*

# 3631

quote:
You know, at first I thought this auctioning numbers thing was a bit silly. Now I know it's silly, but I'm really enjoying myself.

It's a sad fact that people will rarely do something for nothing. Although buying imaginary numbers on the internet is about as close to "something for nothing" as we're likely to get.

But of course the prestige to be gained from having a sexy membership number is immense. I expect my inbox to be flooded with propositions of an interesting nature once I've got mine.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Unfeature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016