homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Perfidious Albion (Page 47)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  44  45  46  47  48  49  50  ...  54  55  56 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Perfidious Albion
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I agree, sell the land or lease it out long term with a requirement in the sale/lease that a suitable hall is built for the use of the Cathedral, preferably with good acoustics and a small but succulent chamber organ [Big Grin]

- - - -

We fell at the last hurdle today - we were short one required certificate and no chance of getting hold of it in time for me to avoid a trip to at least Sri Lanka at the end of next month so I came home and booked my tickets and got my visa thingy - and only later discovered that the offices will be closed the day after I arrive [Poya Day, a public holiday there] so I can't apply for my next visa for here until a couple of days later!

Oh well, hopefully it will all be through in time for me to fly home on the day I am booked in for.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You are in the wrong script Wodders - The guests at Best Exotic Marigold Hotel didn't have the challenges that you have been having [Biased] seriously though, I hope it all goes smoothly and you have a lovely time in Sri Lanka.

Bitterly cold wind here today, but still I was surprised to notice that the roads have been gritted & salted.

Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:

We fell at the last hurdle today - we were short one required certificate and no chance of getting hold of it in time for me to avoid a trip to at least Sri Lanka at the end of next month so I came home and booked my tickets and got my visa thingy - and only later discovered that the offices will be closed the day after I arrive [Poya Day, a public holiday there] so I can't apply for my next visa for here until a couple of days later!

Oh well, hopefully it will all be through in time for me to fly home on the day I am booked in for.

Double-dang Blast with a side order of Grrr.

Hope the re-entry visa comes through OK PDQ and that your next attempt is fruitful. The only time I had to do anything like this, Mediterranean bureaucracy saved us from unpleasantness. Manana there being a synonym for extreme urgency!

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Whatever happens the thing is that it won't be the end of the world - and if I am raptured before my flight date I won't be too worried, either. A date change for the flight back might cost me a tenner or so but what the heck?

No cold wind here today, daisydaisy [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That sounds so difficult Wodders, hope you sort it all out soon.

There was a discussion on Radio 4's Feedback yesterday about BBC tickets for recordings of shows, how unfair the system was. I found it interesting as although I haven't (so far) managed to get tickets for the NewsQuiz, Now Show, Infinite Monkey show or a few other things both my daughter and I tried for and did want to see, I have seen Old Harry's Game, John Finnemore's Souvenir Programme, the Museum of Curiosity, NewsJack and have a pile of tickets for shows coming up. One of the real problems is the notice, tickets are only sent out two to three weeks before and you don't know if you're going to get anything until they arrive, so it's all very short notice

As my daughter can't get time off to come I currently have one spare ticket to something on Sunday night (tomorrow) and Monday evening if anyone is interested - both in London. PM if you want to know more.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] Wodders

I'm just back from a happy and fruitful day in Liverpool with my friend. Fabulous new winter coat bought, coffee consumed, lots of photos taken and a windswept walk round the waterfront.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I love the Pierhead - and some great photos to be had down there! I was an adopted scouser for a long time, most of my career was on Merseyside and I still love the place, despite its many faults.

But I don't miss the cold wind blowing off the river at all.

--------------------

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just a reminder that the clocks fall back tonight. An hour extra in bed - yay! Unfortunately, it means that it gets dark an hour earlier - not so yay.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Nearly had heart failure - we have tickets for a Max Boyce concert at Abergavenny and I couldn't remember the date and panicked it had been this week. Phew! It's on Monday!. [Overused]
I'd have been seriously cheesed if we'd missed it!

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:
Just a reminder that the clocks fall back tonight. An hour extra in bed - yay! Unfortunately, it means that it gets dark an hour earlier - not so yay.

Thank you for the reminder - I'd forgotten [Hot and Hormonal]
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Let me see if I can work it out: does that mean some will arrive for morning services an hour late or an hour early? ISTR somebody arriving a whole two hours late, but I'm not sure that was spring or autumn: they must have moved the clock the wrong way!

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Very likely. If you're accustomed to waking up at 8 am, that will now be 7, so you get an extra hour in bed. It's surprising how quickly you get used to the change, though: and are then faced with the deduction of the hour in March.

(Most people don't seem to make the early morning train that first Monday after the change in March, and those that do look grumpy.)

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The clocks went back when we got married, we got an extra hour in bed on our wedding night [Smile]

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
... tickets for a Max Boyce concert ...

Good Lord, is he still doing concerts? Used to really enjoy his TV show back in the 70s. [Big Grin]

Thanks for the thoughts about the hall. Selling isn't an option as there's some ill-conceived Diocesan rule that if we sell any of our glebe land, the Diocese gets the money. [Mad] Some sort of leasing situation is probably more likely, but we shall see ...

Sale went off fairly predictably today; it was a filthy wet day, which may have brought people scuttling in from the rain. We certainly felt fairly busy doing morning coffee and there was a goodly crowd at the turkey supper.

The funeral was very well-attended; it was held in the chapel at the Anglican funeral parlour which was full to overflowing. The liturgy was unfortunate (Book of Alternative Services - ugh!) but executed with as much decorum as can be expected and we were glad we had gone.

Requiescat in pace. [Votive]

PS Wodders - hope the trip to Sri Lanka works out - think of it as a holiday with photographic possibilities. [Smile]

[ 28. October 2012, 01:08: Message edited by: piglet ]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
quote:
... tickets for a Max Boyce concert ...

Good Lord, is he still doing concerts? Used to really enjoy his TV show back in the 70s. [Big Grin]

Max Boyce has revivals whenever the Wales has a really good year in the Six Nations! A friend of mine, born in Pontardulais, has been dreading this latest one since the middle of March.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Himself is now a married man - it all went swimmingly apart from the usual Indian attitude to time where the Spanish attitude of manana [with an accent somewhere that is beyond my powers to recreate] is seen as being in a rush! Something above 300 photos yet to be downloaded and sorted.

...and much sleep needed!

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good to hear the wedding went well.

As for mañana, or at least the ñ, I google words with accents, then copy and paste. A lot easier than searching in Character Map.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If you type & ntilde; but close up the space after the ampersand, you get ñ as in mañana.

Congratulations to Himself and Mrs. Himself. [Smile]

There's a pot of veggie soup on the stove ready for virtual tasting, if anyone needs warming up.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

balaam, yes, I usually google as well but last night was too tired - but now mañana from piglet! I will forget this by lunchtime, of course.

...and carrying on about the wedding of the year, I managed to download the photos and they looked so happy! It was lovely.

...and as we left the reception her mum was having a little cry - the last of her brood leaving the nest.

...and I still got a phone call from Himself last night just checking I was okay! People seem to forget I lived alone in Britain for nearly 20 years and I coped quite well - and here I have Mrs E to spoil me rotten*.

...and I feel sorry for the bride at a Hindu wedding here - she arrives at the event in one saree and is then taken on one side to change into another saree just for the ceremony then after the ceremony is taken on one side and changes into a third saree for the reception then after the reception travels to reception number 2 at the groom's house where she changes again into saree number 4 before the reception begins! She looked lovely in all of them, particularly the one I chose, of course! Actually the best one was the last which was not a colour I'd have chosen for her but it looked fab.

Today they will come and disassemble the marquee, etc.

*which I thoroughly deserve.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

An opportunity (indeed, a duty) to get four new dresses - what's not to like? [Smile]

shopaholic piglet

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Here are a few of the wedding photos - we go to collect them in the morning and their room isn't ready yet and won't be ready on time! We may get the new curtains tomorrow but if they have to be made to order it will be next week.

Ah well, they'll cope - worse things happen at sea.

--------------------

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

Lovely photos, Wodders - many congratulations to Himself and Herself.
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Nice pictures Wodders. They look very happy.

What are the buckets with newspaper lids for?

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Under the newspaper lids were clingfilm type lids and they were full of some great curries! I don't normally like fruity curries but their pineapple and grape was superb!

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

That is my portion size.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Well with all that cycling and other exercise I reckon you need the calories.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
They look so happy in the picture together (and she has a lovely smile). Blessings on them both!
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I know I've said this before, Wodders, but you really do live in the most colourful place imaginable (and the bride's dresses were beautiful). Cracking photies as ever!

Hallowe'en has come and gone, and despite a last-minute dash to buy sweeties (we forgot), not a single guiser or trick-or-treatist crossed the drawbridge of Castle Piglet.

I suppose we'll have to eat them* ourselves ... [Big Grin]

* the sweeties, not the trick-or-treatists. [Devil]

--------------------

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

You're turning vegetarian?

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Great photos Wodders - what a fabulous marquee!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by QLib:
quote:

Good grief, they were trick-or-treating on an industrial scale round our way, [Mad] despite howling winds and rain coming down like stair-rods. An executive-style housing development of detached homes is perfect, you see - big enough to have money, but the houses are still fairly close together so you don't have to walk half a mile up a drive to find out there's no-one home. Mr. S and I snuck out for a curry with half a dozen friends - we could have bought a sweetshop for what it cost us, but it's the Principle of the Thing!

Mrs. S, the Hallowe'en equivalent of Scrooge (Bah, sweeties?)

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Bah, mint humbugs! perhaps?

- - - -

They are home! We went and collected them - there was a lovely Brahmin who cooked a special Brahmin Payasam that involved cashews and chopped bananas and a whole big jar of ghee [clarified better, 1 kg] and about 3 kgs of cracked wheat and 4 litres of milk and raisins and 3 kgs sugar and cardamom and then some more sugar but in big crystals like Preserving Sugar used to be in UK.

Then there was a big Puja then we ate bits of the payasam - which was lovely but very rich! Then lunch then we came home.

Then I 'rested my eyes' for a bit and when I got up wondered why I couldn't sign into the Ship but was still half asleep and using the wrong password!

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
... a whole big jar of ghee [clarified better, 1 kg] and about 3 kgs of cracked wheat and 4 litres of milk and raisins and 3 kgs sugar and cardamom and then some more sugar ... lovely but very rich

You don't say! [Big Grin]
quote:
Originally posted by Qlib:

Me? Vegetarian? Wash out your mouth with soap! [Devil]

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Ten to seven AM and I'm all ready for work (bar the clothes) and playing on the Ship. (Quoits anyone?)

Being semi-retired is great, I recommend it! You get the pleasure and camaraderie of the workplace without the stress. Yesterday we were making bonfires and fireworks with sparkly tails for a display. Today we are going swimming, followed by play writing, followed by a science investigation into sieving and filtering.

Every Wednesday I make cakes to take in on Thursday. So my arrival is greeting with big smiles and enthusiasm (Cupboard love, I know - but any love is good imo, ask anyone who keeps pooches)

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sitting here on the sofa with the cat nestled into a tiny gap between my leg and the sofa armrest and thinking that I could happily sit here all day. But I'm out for coffee with a friend in a bit and then off to work.. if you can call a trip to Pizza Express work!

Anyone got the kettle on? I could do with a nice hot cup of coffee to take with me into the bathroom while I get ready to go out. A cup of coffee and a good book, but I've already got the good book. It's looking a bit wrinkled, though - a bit like its owner (thought I'd get that in before Weasel!) - seeing as I left it in the bathroom and my beloved son decided it needed a shower!

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Plenty of coffee spare here... help yourselves.

I am thoroughly enjoying a few gentle days without travelling to work.

Trip to the cinema was somewhat marred by the inability of about 20 different people to refrain from checking their phones at regular intervals throughout the film, and the rudeness of the couple in front of me who informed me I had no right to ask them to stop checking their phones. I think I will cross cinema visiting off my occasional treats list - the constant, regular flickering of phone screens is obviously not going to go away as a problem, and staff in the cinema seem to be powerless to stop it.

Today is lunch with a friend, and shoe shopping!

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks for the coffee - I've got a few home-made shortbread biscuits left if anyone wants one........

Managed to get into a few shops on Wednesday and came out with far more than I intended, of course. But enjoyed myself - haven't been shopping like that for ages, as I usually do it on-line.

On-line hasn't got quite the same pizzazz!

(is that how you spell it??)

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Day off yesterday here (All Saints is a public holiday).

My friend T is a legend. He works selling photographic equipment in a well-known electronics chain. The store where he was working just got closed down (not a drama, they've transferred him to a different store) so on the last day they held a party for all the employees. It featured a prize draw for various items out of the shop. T won a 54" [Eek!] flat screen TV.

So yesterday's day off featured sitting on T's sofa all day watching DVDs on the Biggest TV in the World™ [Big Grin]

[ 02. November 2012, 09:50: Message edited by: la vie en rouge ]

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
T won a 54" [Eek!] flat screen TV.

So yesterday's day off featured sitting on T's sofa all day watching DVDs on the Biggest TV in the World™ [Big Grin]

Blimey. It must have felt like sitting in a cinema! Sound quality to match I expect?

Sounds fantastic - I have a 15" tv and have been wondering about getting a (slightly) larger one when this one bites the dust. I've had it for 20 years or so, but it still works pretty well.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

We've had a Grand Day Out - but without the trip to get a moon full of cheese!

I went to the local temple with the newly weds this morning, but I waited outside as I hadn't showered early then we had breakfast then I was told that we were going on a Grand Tour and that I was going along!

We went to a temple in a nearby big town where newly weds go to pray for fertility, etc. - and at other times of year there are various festivals which we tried to take PeteC to once but there were just too many people! Then we went to the first ever mosque in India [that has its own museum, soon to be expanded] then to another temple that is also a protected ancient monument then to a nearby church where Himself usually goes every Tuesday then, after a break for lunch, we went to the beach for a walk along a rather splendid breakwater then we went to visit our friend of the recent motorcycle accident [where I ended up giving him some maths coaching as he has an exam tomorrow] then we came home and I had an hour's much needed kip. I now have 139 photos to download and sort!

Gosh but it's a busy life.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:

Sounds fantastic - I have a 15" tv and have been wondering about getting a (slightly) larger one when this one bites the dust. I've had it for 20 years or so, but it still works pretty well.

Goferit. And get one that is HD. Your life will then drain away unregarded as you sit enraptured by the hyper-reality before you.

[ 02. November 2012, 17:01: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Goferit. And get one that is HD. Your life will then drain away unregarded as you sit enraptured by the hyper-reality before you.

I get the same effect from my computer.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
... a 54" flat screen TV ...

54"? That's nearly five feet! [Eek!] I haven't got a house big enough to accommodate that.
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
I've had [a 15" TV] for 20 years or so

These days that's positively ancient for a television. My parents' first TV lasted about 20 years (although it was really superseded by colour rather than completely going phut), but they never had another one that lasted nearly that long. We're on our second one since coming here, and that was less than 10 years ago (although again, it was rather brought on by having a wee bit of spare money and going for a flat-screen one).

I earned a bit of pocket-money this afternoon; the Curate phoned me this morning to ask if I'd act as verger for a wedding. Not really an onerous task: put on a cassock, light the candles (not easy for a vertically-challenged piglet), smile in a vaguely official way at the guests as they come in and then tidy up the orders of service afterwards.

Is it my imagination or are heel heights getting really vertiginous? There was a girl acting as an usher whose heels must have been about 8". [Eek!]

However, because it wasn't a very nice day, they came back into the church to do a load of photographs, and D. and I had to wait and lock up after them, so I felt as if they'd got their money's worth.

Someone mentioned lunch and shoe shopping ... [Cool]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
These days that's positively ancient for a television. My parents' first TV lasted about 20 years (although it was really superseded by colour rather than completely going phut), but they never had another one that lasted nearly that long. We're on our second one since coming here, and that was less than 10 years ago (although again, it was rather brought on by having a wee bit of spare money and going for a flat-screen one).

Yes, I quite like the idea of a flat-screen one. My TV was an expensive-ish one at the time, but I wanted a good make that would last for a while, something light and easy to carry if I had to move flats, and the picture quality (reception apart) is very clear with good colours. It was also one of the first to have a Scart socket so can still be used now we've all gone digital.

I do still have the electric kettle I had at university, which my mother bought in 1974. It still works, though you can sometimes see a bit of a green flash when the switch is flicked. At present I use the one that came with the flat, which is pretty definitely on its way out after only a few years, so it'll be back to the old one in due course.

If something still works well, age is no barrier to it still being used IMO.

[ 03. November 2012, 08:33: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I'd forgotten about SCART sockets. Our new flat screen thingy has all sorts of inputs but the set top box from the satellite company has an HDMI socket amongst others so we use that in HDMI input 1 [of 2], purely because it was less effort to wire!

HDMI 2 is reserved for the video cameras, I think, with the DVD player going in on A/V cables.

I know there is a heck of lot of wire back there somewhere that waits until we are all in bed then tangles itself in all sorts of knots.

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You may notice I never touch your teevee, Wodders. Even the multiplicity of remotes drives me around the bend.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

We still have remotes lying around when the device itself is long gone...

...go figure.

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
OOOH, I have a job in January, then.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just got in from my monthly OU tutorial, today we looked at health as a social construction, how body image influences health and the effect of housing/environment on health (we explored a news article on hurricane Sandy to apply the practical implications of this). Nice chatty group of students too.
This afternoon I need to make a skirt as a gift for a friend's little girl - the fabric is fabulous, it has bright flamingos all over it.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

We don't have a TV and whenever we are on holiday I get terribly confused by the remotes. But a huge screen must be great for watching films, definitely popcorn time.

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  44  45  46  47  48  49  50  ...  54  55  56 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016