homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Pacifica plays... Australia, NZ and the like! (Page 12)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  28  29  30 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Pacifica plays... Australia, NZ and the like!
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Boett----. Don't want to post full name here and you don't have PMs enabled.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
? again.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
James the Confident
Ship's Pastor
# 9678

- Posted      Profile for James the Confident   Author's homepage   Email James the Confident   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Off to Adelaide tomorrow for the SCA conference. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"How do you get all those coins?" asked Mort.
IN PAIRS
"Mort", Terry Pratchett

Posts: 3219 | From: Geelong | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's reported in this morning's paper that Joe Hockey finds the wind turbines down Vulpior's was "utterly offensive."

I know what I would rather look at and it isn't him.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I agree with Hockey - they are ugly and spoil what was a marvellous landscape. Then, even their operator admits that they are not economically viable, save for an enormous government subsidy. I wonder just how environmentally viable they are also. The wind may be free and non-polluting, but what about the materials and manufacturing?

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I find wind turbines rather elegant. But it depends where they're put, I suppose. My late friend who was a senior engineer with the then government electricity generating department thought the pylons marching across the wide uplands of the central plateau were quite beautiful.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I love them. Nature at work within the demands of modernity.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Though my own photo is prettier [Biased]

[ 05. May 2014, 07:03: Message edited by: Zappa ]

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I like the photo Zappa. I like wind turbines too, but I think some have been thoughtlessly place near houses. The noise would drive me batty.

As for pylons I have a vague memory that someone like Dennis Glover, A.R.D Fairburn or someone of that vintage wrote about them striding across the land. (Fairly sure it wasn't Baxter).

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My father used to have a thing about photographing pylons: whenever we had the dreaded Annual Holiday Slide Show™ he'd be pointing out pylons in every photograph.

I can't make up my mind about wind turbines: sometimes I think they look quite elegant, at other times I'm not so sure, and I'm not really convinced of their efficacy.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
As your antipodes wake up 24 hours late to the party...

Our family ANZAC is buried at Centennial Park Cemetery in Adelaide. Are there any Adelaide based shipmates who might have reason to go there (I say this because I believe that the cemetery is vast and the park humungous!) who would be willing to take some photos? I can unearth (pun intended) the details of the plot.

Many thanks,

AG

Only just saw this as not on ship much at moment. Currently coming home from port Macquarie. Pm me.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Emendator Liturgia
Shipmate
# 17245

- Posted      Profile for Emendator Liturgia   Author's homepage   Email Emendator Liturgia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
It's reported in this morning's paper that Joe Hockey finds the wind turbines down Vulpior's was "utterly offensive."

I know what I would rather look at and it isn't him.

I'm with you, Loth - and besides their looks, they produce something that is useful, whereas out of the Treasurer's mouth ....

--------------------
Don't judge all Anglicans in Sydney by prevailing Diocesan standards!

Posts: 401 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
I'm with you, Loth - and besides their looks, they produce something that is useful, whereas out of the Treasurer's mouth ....

It depends on my mood and I wasn't speaking about cost or usefulness or productivity etc.

At times, like GG, I find them elegant.

At other times they remind me of something out of Dr Who, advancing across the landscape. Still more attractive than Hockey, especially lately.

--------------------

Emendator Liturgia
Shipmate
# 17245

- Posted      Profile for Emendator Liturgia   Author's homepage   Email Emendator Liturgia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
When we drive down to our country property which is half-way between Crookwell and Cowra, we pass by the Crookwell Wind Farm - even on quiet daws with just enough breeze to make the sails turn there is hardly any discernible noise - though there are only 8 turbines there. There is also the much larger farm on the ridges further south - they d look elegant, though images of the War of the world's machines is somewhat apt, in a non-deadly way.

Loth - our communities were so glad to hear of Miss M being at school and wanting to pick up the threads of normal day-to-day life: we keep them posted as it is as if she and her family have become one of ours!

--------------------
Don't judge all Anglicans in Sydney by prevailing Diocesan standards!

Posts: 401 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Miss M is back in hospital for more chemo. Only one more lot like this. Goes in Sunday afternoon, tests, chemo, line flushes, more chemo and comes out on Thursday afternoon. The next week of the cycle she can go to school if at all possible. So three more weeks in this lot of treatment. Then something else starts.

Her markers etc are all right where doctors want them to be at this stage.

She's a bit cheeky and has a definite opinion to express but that's better than seeing her cowed. While she's making progress, she has had to face that a couple of children whom she had known from hospital haven't made it. So sad. Kids like her grow up too fast.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
[QUOTE]At other times they remind me of something out of Dr Who, advancing across the landscape. Still more attractive than Hockey, especially lately.

When I was driving down to Canberra the other week, I saw the windmills and did not like them any more than on any previous occasion. So far, I've not seen Joe Hockey standing out in a paddock waving his arms, so I can't comment.

Sad for anyone to have to deal with issues like that let alone someone as young as Miss M.

--------------------

Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We can see the windmills from where we are. I'm a proponent of new forms of energy so am going to be in favour.

There is a proposal for another wind farm in the other direction, east of us. There's lots of neighbours up in arms against it. We could be surrounded by "industrial" activity: the Woodlawn bioreactor, wind and solar farms, and sand mining. Mum says in that case we should be like the industrial suburbs of the ACT and open a brothel!

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I thought our government was pretty slack, but yours appoints a climate change skeptic (an endangered species, I thought, but with a very loud cry) to review the Renewable Energy Target.

A poster on my facebook page reads 'Plot idea: 97% of the world's scientists contrive an environmental crisis, but are exposed by a plucky band of billionaires and oil companies'.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Roll Eyes] Some of you may remember my whinging about the ongoing work on relining the sewers after the quakes, and how long it was taking. The workers have now moved into the main road that my street runs into and have been working there since March to the accompanyment of whiffs of raw sewerage. Today I asked one of the workers if he had any idea of when this stretch of infrastructure whoud be complete and he said "Months, rather than weeks."

So not only will the pong (which started in November) continue, but also those of us who rely on the bus service to go and get out groceries will have further to carry them as our bus stop has been put out of commission [Waterworks]

I am thinking of running away to sea.

I feel like a reak sook. There are people living in cars because of insurance disagreements and rents have skyrocketed due to the shortage of housing and profiteering. Some landlords had the value of their properties increased due to the repairs (funded by their insurance) have now increased their rents enormously and are renting room by room to workers who have come for the rebuilding of the city, rather than families, some of whom have been priced out of the market.

And winter is starting to bite.

Bloody earthquakes.

Huia

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

Huia, I sometimes think some governments would have chipped in and got all the rebuilding sorted long ago, houses and all – but if a disaster the size of Christchurch's happened in a country with a population of not 4 1/2 million but 400 million or even 40 million it would be a relative drop in the bucket, so to speak.
Meanwhile tonight's news was of the Chch rebuild costing half a billion more than originally estimated, and I don't know if that includes the flood problem where the land has sunk. I was impressed by Leanne D when I heard her speak a couple of years ago but she'd need to be superwoman to sort out this situation.

GG

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

While doctors are happy with Miss M's progress, this childhood cancer is a terrible thing. I have just posted in the prayer thread about C, a 15 year old boy who shared a hospital room with her recently.

He died a few days ago, and all now left of his family are his mum and a sister. Mum's first husband suicided and the second died of cancer two years ago. Just horrible.

He was in Year 9, the third year of high school at the local school which bussed all students from that year to the funeral.

It has hit my son quite hard.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Goodness, Loth - there really are no words for how that poor lady and her daughter must be feeling.

[Votive]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What piglet said - [Votive]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Amidst all the crap (some of it literal) of the city recovering from the quakes I am grateful to the creative and eccentric people who brighten our lives.

The neighbour who used chicken-wire to sculpt a woman in a bathtub and put it on his front lawn.

The woman on the front of the paper today who crochetted a road cone and attached it over her bike helmet

The person who saw the water in the semi-demolished swimming baths and added a couple of decoy ducks (it's duckshhoting seasn here).

And my old favourite, the people who used an old upright fridge with a glass door to make a library of paperback books that is still being used two and a half years later.

These are only a few examples, but there is some joy among the ruins.

I only wish some of the insurance delays could be settled to enable the re=building to go ahead more quickly,

Huia

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Re-build, but keep these eccentricities as well. How a bout growing ivy over teh chicken wire, and then keeping it trimmed?

--------------------

Arabella Purity Winterbottom

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Our choir is doing a concert tonight commemorating the Pike River mining deaths - also a wonderful piece about the Chilean miners who survived, and another wonderful piece commemorating the Waihi Miners Strike in 1912 in which an innocent man was killed by police. Some of you may have seen Dave Dobbyn with members of the Pike River families. I suspect it will be quite emotional... All the pieces are NZ premieres, and the two NZ ones have never been performed before.

Huia, I love eccentrics. We have a gent about 3 houses along who has filled his front yard (one can't call it a garden) with sculptures he has made. Every now and then the display changes, usually in response to some news story or other. It isn't high art, but it is very entertaining. At the moment it seems to be all about dogs, without a single dog sculpture in sight.

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Posts: 3702 | From: Aotearoa, New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I still miss the lounge room setting complete with lamp on lamp table that was nailed to the roof of a house opposite our local shops. The authorities made the guy living there remove it.

Anyway it has been an interesting week. My sister and I became grandmothers again within the space of two days. Ryan Daniel (I think that's right) born in the Top End, and today, on my father's birthday, Evie Magnolja arrived here (Croation spelling).

Much celebrating amongst the Territorians in the family. [Yipee]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Congratulations on the additions to your family Banner Lady [Yipee]

Arabella the May 10 -16 NZ Listener which I picked up just after I posted, has an article on ChCh artists including a painting of a ballerina that I saw for the first time when I was wandering, and some beautiful arches made of laminated wood which I hope will become a more permanent feature of the rebuilt city.

Huia

--------------------

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
Congratulations on the additions to your family Banner Lady [Yipee]

Arabella the May 10 -16 NZ Listener which I picked up just after I posted, has an article on ChCh artists including a painting of a ballerina that I saw for the first time when I was wandering, and some beautiful arches made of laminated wood which I hope will become a more permanent feature of the rebuilt city.

Huia

I took some photos of the arches when I was down for work. They're lovely, particularly the way they echo a church structure.

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

James the Confident
Ship's Pastor
# 9678

- Posted      Profile for James the Confident   Author's homepage   Email James the Confident   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] for miss M and her friends.

I'm back from the SCA conference in Adelaide.It was preceded by the Christening of my three month old great nephew--who slept through the whole proceeding!

I met with LKK who did indeed buy me a drink, thank you. [Big Grin]

I will be in Sydney from Sunday the 6th to Friday the 11th of July, I'd love to meet. Friday is out, it is the last day I have with my fiancée so want to spend it with her.

She's at a conference so I'll be free most days, no programme as yet, I'll clarify later.

--------------------
IN PAIRS
"Mort", Terry Pratchett

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:
... born in the Top End ...

That must have been interesting for the midwife ... [Eek!] [Big Grin]

Huge congratulations to you, your sister and the rest of the Clan Banner. [Yipee]

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

I hope that the following day she is no longer fiancée but becomes wife if it's to be the last day you spend with her.

--------------------

James the Confident
Ship's Pastor
# 9678

quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
I hope that the following day she is no longer fiancée but becomes wife if it's to be the last day you spend with her.

[Killing me] No, it will be the last day before we see each other the next month! This long distance relationship... [Frown]

--------------------
IN PAIRS
"Mort", Terry Pratchett

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

That's better.

--------------------

James the Confident
Ship's Pastor
# 9678

A question, is there anyone who can suggest some cheap (or free [Big Grin] ) parking around Wynyard? That is where we are staying and the parking fee is astronomical!

--------------------
IN PAIRS
"Mort", Terry Pratchett

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

None that I know of. The best near-by is an early-birder at Australia Square, but make sure you tell them when you go in that you want to take advantage of it, not just assume that if you keep the hours it will work. The cheapest is to park in the commuter car-park near us and catch the train in and out.

--------------------

Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Cheap or free parking near Wynyard [Killing me]

Some years ago there used to be good rates (by Sydney CBD standards) at Quay West which is a short walk from Wynyard. Might be worth checking out, I have no idea if their rates remain competitive. Good luck!

[ 12. May 2014, 11:52: Message edited by: Evangeline ]

Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

James, again as Evangeline said [Killing me]

The parking firm Wilsons does have different rates but you have to ask for them. Some early bird rates are quite cheap, but the hours are enforced. There is a Wilsons under Wesley Mission in Pit Street, entrance from Castlereagh Street. Relatively close to Wynyard to walk. Do some googling on earlybird and Wilsons and see what you can find.

Good luck. You could buy a small suburban home for the same price as permanent parking in Sydney.

--------------------

James the Confident
Ship's Pastor
# 9678

So I've discovered! Ouch. I think I'll pay the hotel prices.

--------------------
IN PAIRS
"Mort", Terry Pratchett

Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Where we stay on the border of Darlinghurst and Surry Hills charges $20 per night for parking. Apart from being conveniently located near places we want to be, and relatively easy to drive to, that's a major factor in sticking with them. We'll be disappointed when they close for a major rebuild.

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Parking in central Sydney = ouch.

Autumn in Canberra also = ouch, especially if it has rained overnight and there are wet leaves all over your sloping driveway.

BL is now somewhat slower, thanks to a fractured ankle. It happened at 8am on Mother's Day as I was dashing off to church. Only got around to having it seen to today, having hobbled along for 3 days.

The doc asked me how come I hadn't been in to deal with it sooner - didn't it hurt?

My answer was "Compared to what? Childbirth? Nah."
[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

Headlines yesterday about Aussie 'Coal Bonanza risks climate change' – ouch. Greg Hunt and now Clive Palmer – where do you find these people? And I thought our lot were a bit slack.

GG

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

BL, remember the saying that there's nothing quite as satisfying as seeing a friend skid on his own bathwater - in a climate where the water frozen in the pipes would crack them. You've done the Canberra equivalent. But get bette soon, with plenty of rest and some good physio as well.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Being forced to slow down, Banner Lady? Whatever it takes, I guess. Hope it heals quickly and please be careful as you hobble around.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Hope you heal quickly, BL - take it easy and look after yourself.

[Votive]

--------------------

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

Ouch, BL, hope it recovers quickly.

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

B 1.2 was most impressed with my moonboot. I told him I was practising for the zombie apacolypse.

BL (bloody lurching)

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Can you still drive BL? And given that it's an ankle, I hope you'r still getting the tarting wood broken and then the rest split. If needed, we can send Dlet to do that - he's pretty good at it now, one of my successes in parenting. But best wishes to you, and heal well and quickly.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

quote:
Originally posted by Galloping Granny:
And I thought our lot were a bit slack.

GG

A bit ?????

Best wishes for a speedy recovery BL.

Huia

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:
Parking in central Sydney = ouch.

Autumn in Canberra also = ouch, especially if it has rained overnight and there are wet leaves all over your sloping driveway.

BL is now somewhat slower, thanks to a fractured ankle. It happened at 8am on Mother's Day as I was dashing off to church. Only got around to having it seen to today, having hobbled along for 3 days.

The doc asked me how come I hadn't been in to deal with it sooner - didn't it hurt?

My answer was "Compared to what? Childbirth? Nah."
[Roll Eyes]

But what about compared to paying Sydney parking prices?

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  28  29  30 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016