homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Crappy Choruses & Horrible Hymns redux (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  34  35  36 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Crappy Choruses & Horrible Hymns redux
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Oriel
That`s not the one that goes

OJesusI have prom ised (pom pom pom)
Toservetheeto the end (pom pom pom pom)
Bethouforev er near me (pom pom pom)
Mymasterand my friend
I-shall-not fear the battle (da-da-da)
If-thou-art by my side
No-or WANder from the pa-athway
If thou wilt be my guide (pom, pom, PA-da and into next verse)

is it?

*Irony* Thank you so much - you've now removed my current crap chorus from my brain almost totally. I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not...

Anyhow, anyone else get really bugged by " I want to walk with Jesus Christ"? It's not the words, so much as the tune, which sounds as though it should be performed by a German Ooom-pah band!! I'm almost completely incapable of singing this, as I end up convulsed with laughter!

--------------------
I came to Jesus and I found in him my star, my sun.
And in that light of life I'll walk 'til travelling days are done

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
sophs

Sardonic Angel
# 2296

- Posted      Profile for sophs   Author's homepage   Email sophs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
Honest version of 'here I am Lord':

Someone else, Lord
Please not me, Lord
I am hiding underneath my bed
I won't go, Lord
I'm too scared, Lord
Won't you please send someone else instead?

Exactly what i'm thinking ATM...Thanks GillH!!

Posts: 5407 | From: searching saharas of sorrow | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
3M Matt
Shipmate
# 1675

- Posted      Profile for 3M Matt   Email 3M Matt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
We did a couple of new songs on Sunday and once again Christian Music is leading the way. First up was A delightful ditty which started off with the line "Two sins have we commited".Yeah and the rest.

If you are talking about the song that goes:
"two sins have we committed,
Two sins are plain before our eyes
We have turned from you,
the fount of living water
and have tried to drink from cisterns cracked and dry"

Then you are talking about a song written by a guy called Sam Chaplin who is a mate of mine and a thoroughly fantastic bloke and

It's also a cool song. and YES I believe he's right about the two sins. That essentially is what all our sin revolves around...rejecting God and embracing idols..including idolising ourselves.

As a general point, is taking the piss out of people's musical efforts really neccesssary?

If you don't like them. Don't sing them. But as a song writer myself, I HATE placing new songs before churches. It takes a lot of guts for people to stand up in front of a church with a new song.

The Bible calls us to "sing a new song to the lord" and ok, so you might not like it, but you could at least applaud people for having a go.

Our offerings to God are like a child's painting. When your 3 year old kid tells you you they've painted a picture of you, you don't comment on their water colour technique. You love it for the offering and the gift of love it represents.

Stop dissing your brothers an sisters and start encouraging them instead.

Ok....getting all het up now. This is hell after all

--------------------
3M Matt.

Posts: 1227 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
OP3
Apprentice
# 2703

- Posted      Profile for OP3   Author's homepage   Email OP3   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
"be a bloomin' tree".... hmmmm..... and the bit about the store....HELP!!!!! Even though I use musique all across the spectrum in worship (meaning worship of the Almighty, not of my own whatevers...), THAT is a bit much....(heading to the WC to barf)

--------------------
For G-d so loved the world, he did *not* send a committee!

Posts: 1 | From: Broadway, VA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
da_musicman
Shipmate
# 1018

- Posted      Profile for da_musicman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Matt the Mad Medic:
Then you are talking about a song written by a guy called Sam Chaplin who is a mate of mine and a thoroughly fantastic bloke

I have no doubts that he is but sorry I just don't like that song. Personally If I make something which people don't like I'd like to know as you've let me know with your reply.

Posts: 3202 | From: The Dreaming | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You're months too late, MTMM. I got the rum, the crap songs got the boot.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Oriel
Shipmate
# 748

- Posted      Profile for Oriel   Author's homepage   Email Oriel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Not a crappy chorus or a horrible hymn, this one, but rather a pretty good song that is really let down by the arrangement, and by one line of the lyrics.

The song: O let all who are thirsty. It`s a lovely slow piece, which I sang solo in church yesterday. But the arrangement! It needs a moving bassline, for sure, but does that justify the dee-daw siren effect that goes right the way through it? This was in the most recent edition of Hymns Old and New. In an older edition there`s a different arrangement; not that good either, but a lot better. So why did they feel the need to change it?

And the lyric? The third line of the last verse. "Bring the children without might". What on earth is that about?

--------------------
Unlike the link previously in my sig, I actually update my Livejournal from time to time.

Posts: 796 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Charientist
Shipmate
# 2269

- Posted      Profile for The Charientist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A happy-clappy college church I used to attend programmed this one a lot:

My heart shall sing
Of the day you bring
Let the fires of your justice burn
Wipe away all tears
For my dawn draws near
And the world is about to turn

They invariably accompanied it with a flute and a fiddle and played gaily-tripping-along at breakneck speed. This caused my friend Bob and me to dub it "The Pirate Ditty." Whenever the choir launched into it we'd catch each other's eye across the nave and mouth the words, "Arr Matey!" while gleefully hoisting imaginary flagons of ale.

--------------------
Is the Empire really a threat? Or is its much-feared fleet just little models?

My new home.

Posts: 131 | From: I've moved! So long, suckers!! | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
hippimama
Apprentice
# 463

- Posted      Profile for hippimama     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hippimama has picked herself up from the floor where she has been convulsing with combined howls of tears and loathing and is now seriously pissed off with you all for putting these ghastly songs back in her head when she has spent the better part of the last decade exorcising them.... To revenge herself, does anyone remember the horrible lyrics that were set to the even nastier theme tune from The Chariots of Fire?

My personal favourite bad hymn is "There is a fountain filled with blood" -- I once worked in a Christian community where the naughty students would repeatedly request this, and it was then sung very earnestly by half the community while the other half bit the insides of their cheeks hard to keep from screaming. Seriously though, I direct a kids' choir at our church and it's awfully tough to find songs for the un-tutored young singer that don't make me barf. Any suggestions?

Posts: 17 | From: new york | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
oh don't get me started on "fountain filled with blood". my mentally handicapped (autistic) brother took a shine to that hymn when it was used in church one time, and he's STILL talking about it... grosses my mother out. don't think she's ever forgiven the minister.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oriel -- don`t know Hymns Old And new, but what you sang looks a lot to me like a song from the 70s by the St. Louis Jesuits (Foley, SChutte are the key names). In which case, the mysterious line is "Bring the children, without price" -- for rationale, look at the passage from Isaiah (I think) from which this is drawn.

John Holding

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I rather like "There is a fountain". Hard to see how someone who can't handle that could keep a straight face during the Eucharistic Prayers.

My current unfavourite is nothing to do with the (rather pleasant) tune but the utterly un-Christian theology.

"Dear Lord and Father of Mankind"

I now find strength not to sing it. Maybe when I'm a bit bolder I'll find the strength not to stand up when everyine else is.

It should appear in no Christian hymnbook. Vile.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Oriel
Shipmate
# 748

- Posted      Profile for Oriel   Author's homepage   Email Oriel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I rather like "Dear Lord and Father of Mankind", I have to say. I don`t find it at all unChristian, and am puzzled as to what you find in it that is. It is a prayer that we may not be whipped up into an artificial emotional frenzy or seek that in our worship -- running after feelings instead of truth. The whole poem from which the words are taken, The Brewing of Soma by John Greenleaf Whittier, makes this quite clear.

quote:

Oriel -- don`t know Hymns Old And new, but what you sang looks a lot to me like a song from the 70s by the St. Louis Jesuits (Foley, SChutte are the key names). In which case, the mysterious line is "Bring the children, without price" -- for rationale, look at the passage from Isaiah (I think) from which this is drawn.

Given that the next line is "Easy the load and light", I reckon somebody at some point decided that rhyme was more important than sense. Of course, good writers can do both at once.. Here are the full words, including "Without might".

--------------------
Unlike the link previously in my sig, I actually update my Livejournal from time to time.

Posts: 796 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have heard people object to the first line of "Dear Lord and Father of Mankind", on the basis that God is not the Father of everyone, but only of those who have been saved. Personally I disagree with that view (if I was going to be picky I'd object to exclusive language, but I don't believe in rewriting hymns), but I've never heard anyone condemn the whole hymn. What's the problem with the rest of it?

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Dear Lord and Father of Mankind considered harmful

quote:

I have heard people object to the first line of "Dear Lord and Father of Mankind", on the basis that God is not the Father of everyone, but only of those who have been saved. Personally I disagree with that view (if I was going to be picky I'd object to exclusive language, but I don't believe in rewriting hymns), but I've never heard anyone condemn the whole hymn. What's the problem with the rest of it?

It is perfectly Biblical to say that God is the father of us all! Trust me, I'm, a Calvinist.

The problem is first that the rest of the hymn, as a hymn, though perhaps theistic, is not Christian. I can cope with that - obviously much of the praise we use is Jewish and not Christian, and I have no problem with those beautiful Muslim prayer-poems the exordium to the Koran and the call to prayer...

But DLAFOM is specifically anti-Christian at points, anti-incarnational, gnostic, anti-materialist.

Oh nuts, I think we need to start a new thread because this wanders off-topic.

I'm going to try to set one up in Purgatory because it merits Serious Theological Discussion rhater than name-calling. If it works it will be my first thread!

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
adso
Shipmate
# 2895

- Posted      Profile for adso   Email adso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I once went to a Big Christian Event (never again)where the latest hit had one verse that went:
Jesus has all authority in this place
All authority here (rpt)

while verse 2 went:
Satan has no authority in this place
No authority here

As you can imagine the words sometimes got a bit confused after a few repetitions. It was kind of surreal to watch earnest Christians swaying around, hands raised, asking Satan to have all authority... [Devil]

We have a very varied selection of music at church which is mostly OK. At the "modern" end my particular hate is "Great is the darkness that covers the earth" (anyone else agree that choruses that go on about "nations" are ususally crap?) [Mad] while at the "ancient" end, a few lines in "Come thou holy Paraclete" (nothing like accessible terms for the Holy Spirit!) always make me start sniggering:

"What is rigid, gently bend;
What is frozen, warmly tend;
Strengthen what goes erringly."

Oh, and there's an obscure verse in "For the beauty of the earth" that contains the line:
"For thy virgins robed in snow"

[Eek!]

--------------------
os justi meditabitur sapientiam, et lingua eius loquetur judicium. lex dei eius in corde ipsius, et non supplantabuntur gressus eius. alleluia.

Posts: 688 | From: pays de galles | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

- Posted      Profile for Sarkycow   Email Sarkycow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by adso:
Oh, and there's an obscure verse in "For the beauty of the earth" that contains the line:
"For thy virgins robed in snow"

[Eek!]

Presumably these virgins would be frigid? [Snigger]

Viki

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I suppose that would make it easier for them to remain virgins...

Sieg

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
da_musicman
Shipmate
# 1018

- Posted      Profile for da_musicman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Now I couldn't decide whether to put this her on in the Tunes for Hymns thread(Something like that.) in Mystery Worshipper but it seemed more a this thread thing so you lovely people can enjoy it.

Now we sometimes sing a children's song in church which has the following words.

"Our God is a great big God
Our God is a great big God
Our god is a great big God
and he holds us in is hands

He higher than a skyscraper
Deeper than a submarine
He wider than the universe
and beyond our wildest dreams
He's known me and he's loved me since before the world began
How wonderful to be a part of God's amazing plan.(Then back to Great big bit.)"

Now a friend of mine pointed out to me last night that this song fits the tune of YMCA.Go on just give it a try.Which personally makes it sound a lot better to me.Though I don't dislike it to start with.

Posts: 3202 | From: The Dreaming | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
mysticlisa

Ship's seer
# 2867

- Posted      Profile for mysticlisa   Author's homepage   Email mysticlisa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Finally took the time to read this thread and laughed 'til my face hurt... Brought back many memories...

Our young people's group singing with gusto to a tune resembling a very happy march...
(Low voice:)
Un-told mil-lions are still un-told
(high voice)
un-told mil-lions are out-side the fold
(low voice)
who will tell them of Je-sus love
(high voice)
and the heav-en-ly man-sions a-wait-ing a-bove

The elders made up stop singing it begun it was too "fun".

Not the song's fault... just twisted students at Calvary Bible College singing in loud, happy voices:

Years I spent in vanity and pride
Caring not my Lord was crucified
Knowing not it was for me He died...
While At Calvary!

And finally... is there anything worse than contemporary Christian wedding music??? I probably hate this 1) because it only talks about a woman's submission and nothing about a man's role... and 2) I'm divorced and am probably still bitter and angry and.... No!!! This song is crap! And I had to sing it at my college roommate's wedding:

(picture sweet fluttery music)
A gen-tle, qui-et spi-rit
An in-ner pee-eace of mind
A gen-tle qui-et spi-rit
Such hap-pi-ne-e-ess I find
Through yield-ing i-in sub-mis-sion
This is the Fa-a-ther's plan
Show-ing sweet love for my man.

Not sure if I want to [Waterworks] or [Projectile]

--------------------
"More things are wrought by prayer
than this world dreams of."
-Alfred Lord Tennyson

Posts: 483 | From: my laptop | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Equinas
Shipmate
# 2907

- Posted      Profile for Equinas     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by mysticlisa:

Not the song's fault... just twisted students at Calvary Bible College singing in loud, happy voices:

Years I spent in vanity and pride
Caring not my Lord was crucified
Knowing not it was for me He died...
While At Calvary!

And finally... is there anything worse than contemporary Christian wedding music??? I probably hate this 1) because it only talks about a woman's submission and nothing about a man's role... and 2) I'm divorced and am probably still bitter and angry and.... No!!! This song is crap! And I had to sing it at my college roommate's wedding:

(picture sweet fluttery music)
An in-ner pee-eace of mind
A gen-tle qui-et spi-rit
Such hap-pi-ne-e-ess I find
Through yield-ing i-in sub-mis-sion
This is the Fa-a-ther's plan
Show-ing sweet love for my man.

Not sure if I want to [Waterworks] or [Projectile]

My most detested, music-and-words-wildly-mismatched hymn is "Love Lifted Me".

"I was sinking, deep in sin
Far from the peaceful shore.
Very deeply stained within,
sinking to rise no more..."

and so on. The music is "Gay 1890's" treacle, which is bad enough, IMO, but to put it with these lyrics sets my teeth on edge. Not that crazy about the lyrics, either. Seems like quite a few hymns of this era were on the sappy side.

As to the wedding song, both responses are appropriate, IMO. Sugar-coated everything, hardly a realistic view of marriage.

--------------------
Linda

Posts: 567 | From: Deep South, USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Equinas
Shipmate
# 2907

- Posted      Profile for Equinas     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Clarification: Meant to say "The music reminds me of "Gay 1890's treacle". Not sure when it was actually written.

--------------------
Linda

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
How about this for a wedding song?
Three part harmony

Not too treacly, and no mention of submission.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Beethoven

Ship's deaf genius
# 114

- Posted      Profile for Beethoven   Email Beethoven   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I know it's been covered earlier in the thread, but our vicar currently seems to have adopted 'Bind us together'. Thanks CM - this will never be the same again (and I never liked it to start with!).

But what really gets me is the people-will-like-us-if-we-use-'popular'-tunes-in-the-liturgy. So we have had the following Gloria:

To the tune of 'English Country Garden'

Glory to God, to Go-od in heaven
a-and peace to ev-ry (bom) na-a-tion

It continues, but gets no better.

I started working out how the Gloria could be done to Londonderry Air, but gave up since our dear Rev. would think it was a serious suggestion

[Flaming]

--------------------
Who wants to be a rock anyway?

toujours gai!

Posts: 1309 | From: Here (and occasionally there) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snow White
Apprentice
# 2390

- Posted      Profile for Snow White         Edit/delete post 
Does anyone else know this one? I can't remember all of the words but I know it starts like this...

"Mister Cow, how do you
Say to God "I love yoooo"?

AHHHHHH! [Help]

Posts: 30 | From: Reading | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Equinas
Shipmate
# 2907

quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
How about this for a wedding song?
Three part harmony

Not too treacly, and no mention of submission.

Much better. [Smile]
Hubby and I used favorite hymns and choral works, both of us being ultra-trad in our sacred music preferences.

--------------------
Linda

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Beethoven:
our vicar currently seems to have adopted 'Bind us together'. Thanks CM - this will never be the same again

I live to serve. [Smile]

David
now with 35% less salacious humour

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Inanna

Ship's redhead
# 538

- Posted      Profile for Inanna   Email Inanna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The current "pick of the pops" for weddings at our church recently is (and darn, I can't remember the composer. One of the Big Three I think - Haugen, Haas or Schutte) "Wherever you go".

Which is very nice, based on Ruth's words to Naomi, and bits from Song of Solomon... apart from the opening line:

Come set me like a seal upon your arm
A seal protecting your heart

I can't sing/hear that without wanting to make barking noises and start clapping flippers together...

Shame really, coz my partner would rather like it for our committment ceremony...

Kirsti

--------------------
All shall be well
And all shall be well
And all manner of things shall be well.

Posts: 1495 | From: Royal Oak, MI | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
likeness
Shipmate
# 2773

- Posted      Profile for likeness   Email likeness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Inanna:
Come set me like a seal upon your arm
A seal protecting your heart

Erm...doesn't that make two seals? [Paranoid] If this is derived from the Song Of Solomon, I hate to think what they might be up to. [Wink]

--------------------
The eye is the lamp of the body.

Posts: 464 | From: No. 43 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A seal protecting one's heart can't be on one's arm?

Reader ALexis

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Scot

Deck hand
# 2095

- Posted      Profile for Scot   Email Scot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It can if one is standing sideways. Perhaps that pose should adopted into the liturgy?

scot
demonstrating why I'd never make it in MW

--------------------
“Here, we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it.” - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 9515 | From: Southern California | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I see. You are only used to protective shields with very limited range. Or very, very small ones.

Look at a warrior who uses a shield to protect his chest. He wears it on his arm.

Reader alexis

--------------------

Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

- Posted      Profile for Sarkycow   Email Sarkycow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Snow White:
Does anyone else know this one? I can't remember all of the words but I know it starts like this...

"Mister Cow, how do you

AHHHHHH! [Help]

Allow me to drive you all insane...

Mi-ster Cow, how do you
Say to the Lo-ord I lo-ove you?
Mi-ster Cow, how do you
Say to the Lo-ord I love you?

Well I stand around in a field all day
Which gives me plen-ty of time to say:
Mooooo, moooooo
I love you.

Repeat with Mr. Duck, Mr. Hen, Mr. Sheep Mr. Horse etc.

Note:
  • All animals are male.
  • If you ask kids for suggestions, censor them - I sang this with a group of four-yr olds, and one suggested Mr. Rabbit...
Viki, who felt Hell needed a little stirring up [Wink]

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

Brandy Alexander
Shipmate
# 2792

- Posted      Profile for Brandy Alexander     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh for pity's sake! WTF is the theological objection to Old MacD - or is it just we don't dare sing it at Sunday School in case someone accuses us doing something just for fun!

-----------------------------
Run for the hills.

Posts: 52 | From: Oxford | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
birdie

fowl
# 2173

- Posted      Profile for birdie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by sarkycow:
quote:
Originally posted by Snow White:
[qb]Does anyone else know this one? I can't remember all of the words but I know it starts like this...

"Mister Cow, how do you

AHHHHHH! [Help]

Allow me to drive you all insane...

Mi-ster Cow, how do you
Say to the Lo-ord I lo-ove you?
Mi-ster Cow, how do you
Say to the Lo-ord I love you?

Well I stand around in a field all day
Which gives me plen-ty of time to say:
Mooooo, moooooo
I love you.

[QB]

I have a sneaking fondness for that one, but only becuase the frst time I heard it, it was on a tape that our sunday school co-ordinator had got from somewhere and was maing us listen to because it was funny. Especially that when it gets to Mr Sheep, when he replies he has a very definite Welsh accent. (Well I sit arrrrround..). No stereotyping here! [Razz]

Wouldn't ever consider actually singing it in church though!

bird

ps. it won't let me preview my post. a thousand apologies if the nested quotes are messed up.

Posts: 1290 | From: the edge | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
um... mister cow? hasn't anyone ever pointed out that a mister cow is actually a bull ?? [Eek!]

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

"Cow" is like "Duck" or "Goose." The generic term for the species as a whole is also the female-specific term. Thus, all bulls are cows but not all cows are bulls. All drakes are ducks but not all ducks are drakes. All ganders are geese, but not all geese are ganders.

Your Handy Roadside Pedant Service Representative,
Alexis

--------------------

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Inanna:
wanting to make barking noises and start clapping flippers together...

Shame really, coz my partner would rather like it for our committment ceremony...

Not... saying... a word!

David
snickering uncontrollably at the resulting image [Razz]

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

quote:
Main Entry: 1cow
Pronunciation: 'kau
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English cou, from Old English cu; akin to Old High German kuo cow, Latin bos head of cattle, Greek bous, Sanskrit go
Date: before 12th century
1 a : the mature female of cattle (genus Bos) b : the mature female of various usually large animals (as an elephant, whale, or moose)

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

How convenient for you that you cut the definition in half, leaving out item #2:

quote:
2 : a domestic bovine animal regardless of sex or age
Nice try. Too bad others have access to dictionaries too, isn't it?

Alexis

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Sorry, I left out the demoniacal laughter:

Bwahahahahahaha! [Devil] [Devil] [Devil]

-Alexis

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

first definition is the main one. so there. thhhhppttt.......

[Razz]

(but ok, how about we call it a truce?)

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Main schmain. Depending on the dictionary, it could be the older one, the more widespread one, the one that is closest to the etymology, or just the one that the editors thought looked best going first.

Truce works for me.

Alexis

--------------------

Bishop Joe
Shipmate
# 527

- Posted      Profile for Bishop Joe   Email Bishop Joe       Edit/delete post 
I don't know if this has been addressed before, but I would forego Advent and even happily skip Christmas not to have to sing "Oh come, Oh come, Eee-MAAAAAAAHHHnnnnYOOOOOOelllll". Maybe this dirge-upon-a-dirge sounds better with a British accent, but to me it sounds like a cross between a distant jackhammer and the bad oboe reed competition just outside the nave.

Probably some people put this classic on a par with real tunes like "In the Bleak Midwinter" or "It Came Upon a Midnight Clear," but after 30 years of churchgoing I just can't warm up to the durn thing. If the clerics feel they MUST use this invitation to suicide, couldn't they give us advance warning?

PO'd in the Midwest [Wink]

Posts: 150 | From: Chicago, IL USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Sorry you don't like that song, BJ, but some of us do. I find it very lovely if sung properly.

Although "It came upon the midnight clear" is clearly a classic, it wasn't even written by a Trinitarian Christian but by a Unitarian as a protest against the impending US Civil War. My fave version is on Bruce Cockburn's Christmas album, where he sings it in a minor key and it works extremely well.

I'm not sure, however, if Christmas Carols really are on-topic for this thread?

Reader Alexis

--------------------

tomb
Shipmate
# 174

- Posted      Profile for tomb   Author's homepage   Email tomb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Of course it's on topic!

What could be more hellish than Christmas in July (unless, perhaps, it's Christmas in December).

Despise "It came upon a midnight clear."

Posts: 5039 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by tomb:
What could be more hellish than Christmas in July?

Obviously, arguing about whether Christmas in July is hellish.

The minor key version really undoes the syrupy aspects of the melody so it's far more palatable to people without a serious musical sweet tooth. The smug self-righteousness of the lyrics, however, remain.

But there are few Christmas Carols that I will denigrate. It's one of my absolute favorite art forms. Even more than oil-on-velvet paintings of nude ladies.

Reader Alexis

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Quote from Bishop Joe
quote:
I don't know if this has been addressed before, but I would forego Advent and even happily skip Christmas not to have to sing "Oh come, Oh come, Eee-MAAAAAAAHHHnnnnYOOOOOOelllll".
I suspect your organist plays it in a very slow, dragging manner. Some people think that all plainsongs should sound like dirges.

I like it very much the way it is sung in my church.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hmmm...yes....but where are you meant to breathe. I generally end up going blue in the face by the end of the first four lines, and squeaking out the 'Rejoice, rejoice..' [Frown]

--------------------
"I don't feel like smiling." "You're English dear; fake it!" (Colin Firth "Easy Virtue")
Growing Greenpatches

Posts: 4739 | From: The Kitchen | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Miffy, you wouldn't do well in our choir, where some of our sheet music actually has things like "Don't Breathe Al Fin." or "NO BREATHING THROUGHOUT" written on it. Our choir director is so insistent on our not breathing that the choir once bought her a t-shirt that says "Don't Breathe. Stagger."

Which is what you have to do -- stagger your breathing with other people singing the same part. You have to coordinate with your partmates as to who is going to drop out which words (so you don't all do it at the same time) in order to breathe.

It really gets interesting when someone is particularly short of breath on a given day and has to breathe more often than usual. [Roll Eyes] But most of the time the end result is a smooth piece of music with no gasping inhales audible in it. [Smile]

Reader (and ersatz Tenor) Alexis

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  34  35  36 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016