homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Crappy Choruses & Horrible Hymns redux (Page 34)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  31  32  33  34  35  36 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Crappy Choruses & Horrible Hymns redux
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
I imagine that John's probably right about the genesis of these tab lines. Like I said, some of the chords are so fantastically obscure that I have to assume it's some vast, cold machine deciding on the basis of the recording that that's what was played.

A friend in a pub tells me that is exactly what has happened. There is a computer program that notates scores on the basis of recordings. It is widely used. Apparently the default setting is extremely sensitive. Even on more sensible settings it is apparently not very competent.

My friend was not complementary about it.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
O-o-o-kay.....

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Killing me] Scary and snigger-worthy on so many levels.

Has anyone actually sung that one in church?

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alex Cockell:
Premier Radio are doing another radiothon - and they offered as a "reward" for gathering enough donations in an hour (900 quid) - to play Julia Plaut's "Mr Cow".

Someone has to die.

AAAAAGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Another telethon - and they're airing the fucker AGAIN!

Posts: 2146 | From: Reading, Berkshire UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Could you not offer to pay money for them not to play it? [Biased]

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

mrs whibley
Shipmate
# 4798

- Posted      Profile for mrs whibley     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I apologise if this has had a mention before. We sang a song last Sunday (in the children's slot, thankfully) which contained the couplet:

God's love is big, God's love is great;
God's love is fab and he's my mate.

While I had no problem with the rest of the song, that 'mate' thing kept my inner theologian occupied for the rest of the service.

Posts: 942 | From: North Lincolnshire | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh - I was on video desk today for both services, and this morning, we had a couple of kiddie ones that need to be seen to be believed...

One went -
"IF YOU WALK LIKE A MODEL or walk with a waddle
You are, you are, you're God's indeed
If you're very, very funny or good at making money
You are, you are, you're God's indeed"

DOug Horley was responsible for it - here's the rest...

And another one started "I will wave my hands in praise and adoration..."... yes, thanks for nothing, Ian Smale...

AND....

"I’m gonna walk by faith, not by sight,
I’m gonna walk by faith, not by sight,
I’m gonna follow Jesus and do what’s right,
I’m gonna walk by faith, not by sight,"...

That last one by Jim Bailey...

At least it got better from there..

Charles Had a Splurge on
Shipmate
# 14140

- Posted      Profile for Charles Had a Splurge on   Email Charles Had a Splurge on   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Alex,

where's your sense of fun? These are songs for children, the children like singing them, what's the problem?

Actually I think the Jim Bailey one sucks. But mainly because the children have no idea what the words actually mean. Oh and the tune.

--------------------
"But to live outside the law, you must be honest" R.A. Zimmerman

Posts: 224 | From: What used to be Berkshire | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Aravis
Shipmate
# 13824

- Posted      Profile for Aravis   Email Aravis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You'd be surprised. Some children pretty much always hate action songs. And most grow out of them, usually just a bit younger than their families/Sunday school teachers/teachers expect them to.
Posts: 689 | From: S Wales | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Low Treason
Shipmate
# 11924

- Posted      Profile for Low Treason   Email Low Treason   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Indeed, and most children are sensible enough to know when adults are patronising them with all this junk.. [Disappointed]

--------------------
He brought me to the banqueting house, and His banner over me was love.

Posts: 1914 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

quote:
Originally posted by mrs whibley:
I apologise if this has had a mention before. We sang a song last Sunday (in the children's slot, thankfully) which contained the couplet:

God's love is big, God's love is great;
God's love is fab and he's my mate.

While I had no problem with the rest of the song, that 'mate' thing kept my inner theologian occupied for the rest of the service.

That one came up this morning. Thank goodness I just had to project the lyrics, but couldn't resist a smirk at the memory of your CCHH post...

Coupled with it was the one that alludes to believers suffering concussion when colliding with the Lord... [Devil]

Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

Upcoming sunday school anniversary service...

Some of the numbers are....

I may never bend like Bananaman

Track 12 - "If superpowers could be ours" accompanied by a presentation with loads of licensed images of fictional superheroes..

Hmm - maybe this ought to be a prayer request for my sanity...

Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We came across a song in our hymnbook about David and Goliath.

The first verse contains the lines:

His sword was sharp and his spear was long
Biggest isn't always best

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Squirrel: I see that there is another thread on "Kum By Yah." That got me thinking- what was the absolute WORST hymn ever sung during the Folk Mass craze of the Sixties and early Seventies? My nomination:

Sons of God
Hear His holy word
Gather 'round
the table of the Lord
Eat His Body
Drink His blood
And we'll sing a song of love
Allelu, Allelu
Alleluia

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bene Gesserit
Shipmate
# 14718

- Posted      Profile for Bene Gesserit   Email Bene Gesserit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Sons of God
Hear His holy word
Gather 'round
the table of the Lord
Eat His Body
Drink His blood
And we'll sing a song of love
Allelu, Allelu
Alleluia

Oh my goodness, I had completely forgotten that one. Please don't let it be an earworm!!!

--------------------
Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus

Posts: 405 | From: Flatlands of the East | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
An agog nation needs to know: how are your ears???

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

Could one fictional candidate be that rap from episode 2 of Rev? The one that ran...

Love me, take me, Jesus; make me feel brand new, Love me, take me, Jesus, our resurrected Jew..

I'll have to see if I can discuss clearing a lyric quote...

But it's on episode 2...

mrs whibley
Shipmate
# 4798

- Posted      Profile for mrs whibley     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
To return to the discussion on page 3:

A 'friend' has just posted "There is a fountain filled with blood" as a facebook update. Of course I had to come straight here to [Projectile] [Projectile] [Help]

--------------------
I long for a faith that is gloriously treacherous - Mike Yaconelli

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That is a particularly 'ewww' song, isn't it? I think it's the veins that make it worse. TMI.

--------------------

- Lyda Rose

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
But that's a good one! And I think I have even sung it in church once. Can be very moving. Really.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Helen-Eva
Shipmate
# 15025

- Posted      Profile for Helen-Eva   Email Helen-Eva   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Has anyone seen the "A Prayer and a Pint" sketch on That Mitchell and Webb Look? It's a kind of skit on Harry Seacombe involving an amiable but clueless presenter type talking irrelevantly to some "interesting" local person and then singing a hymn. The hymn is always the same and it really only has one line: "All I want to do is praise him". I assume it's made up for the show but it's not nearly as bad as plenty of the real thing.

If I've managed to learn how to do links you should be able to see it on YouTube here

--------------------
I thought the radio 3 announcer said "Weber" but it turned out to be Webern. Story of my life.

Posts: 637 | From: London, hopefully in a theatre or concert hall, more likely at work | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

in searching for something else I came across O praise the Lord, God had a plan.

Jengie

Somebody please tell me this song is a joke? Please please?
Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
BlueOpal
Shipmate
# 15895

- Posted      Profile for BlueOpal     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Not sure how relevant this is, but a titter used to go around the church during services back in my schooldays every time the phrase "he has rais'd our fallen manhood" was sung. The hymn in question was sung every service. I'd have hoped they'd have learned.

Also, "Sing it in the Valleys, Shout it From the Mountain Tops" made me have less than ideal amounts of Christian patience towards the music teacher bobbing up and down with a manical grin while the school congregation managed a halfhearted bellow of "oh!" between lines. More often that not, someone would use the shouted line "oh" as an opportunity to make either an orgasm noise, or a Michael Jackson impression.

Church in Wales high schools, nothing quite like 'em...

--------------------
Well, I tell ye, there'll be no butter in Hell...

Posts: 111 | From: Rule Britannia | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Belle Ringer:
quote:

in searching for something else I came across O praise the Lord, God had a plan.

Jengie

As far as I know it is genuine.

Now a new horror has crossed my path, I will look it up after work but has anyone sung no 913 in Songs of Fellowship. Just for starters it has "goose" ryhming with "noose". I will put up the first verse, reading more is not required.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

quote:
Originally posted by Belle Ringer:
quote:

Jengie

Sadly no joke. But it can be countered with Mannish Boy... [Devil]
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The first verse of 913 in Songs of Fellowship

quote:

Lost in a shuffle
I was lost as a goose
The devil had a rope out
and it looked like a noose
but just before I went off at that deep end
My father through me out a line
forgave me for my sin

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Jengie - you didn't give them the chorus too - it adds a certain something to that ...um ... not sure what to call it.

It's by Wayne Drain and you can hear it if you click the film bit of the link.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
mrs whibley
Shipmate
# 4798

Actually, I don't think that would necessarily be a bad song as a performance. Being required to sing it in corporate worshp though, [Eek!]

--------------------
I long for a faith that is gloriously treacherous - Mike Yaconelli

joan knox

Knoxy is my homeboy
# 16100

- Posted      Profile for joan knox     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think if I were being swung up in the air, I'd be the one throwing up, not God...

--------------------
Jesus saves, Allah protects, Buddha enlightens, Cthulhu thinks you'll make a nice sandwich

Posts: 906 | From: edinburgh | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Just Me
Shipmate
# 14937

- Posted      Profile for Just Me     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The hymn has been mentioned before (though not since 2007 if google is my friend) but I thought I'd mention that when I acquired my grandmother's copy of Hymns Ancient and More Ancient the hymn In the Churchyard Side by Side: Mrs C.F. Alexander was rendered even more hysterically funny by finding it in the section "For the Very Young". I see from the link it was originally published in "Hymns for Little Children".

I bet there were kids who loved it!

Posts: 104 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged
Annagyijjk
Apprentice
# 16324

- Posted      Profile for Annagyijjk   Email Annagyijjk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The moment you see the [spam removed], I believe you would think of the [spam removed]. Yes , it is not hard for you to combine [spam removed]. Now many people are interested in the game. Would you like to play it? And how much do you know about [spam removed]? Just have a go!

[This spammer has been reported to the admins- thanks L]

[ 31. March 2011, 10:01: Message edited by: Louise ]

Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't think these Maple Story links are very singable - doo be doo be dum dum Maple S-t-o-r-yyy ...nope.

whoops, x-posted with the above...

[ 31. March 2011, 10:02: Message edited by: Pine Marten ]

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There sure seem to be a lot of crappy newer "hymns" that throw in sexual innuendo... here is an excerpt from "God Made Me To Be A Man" from hymnal.net:

Oh, just call on Him,
He'll fill you to the brim!
Fill, fill, fill! I'm full of Him.
Joy, joy, joy! Overflowing.
Love, love, love! Coming from Him within.
Oh, I have touched the King!

And this little romantic bit:

Lord, I just open up to You;
I let You do what You want to do.
Lord, I just give myself to You,
'Cause I love You—Lord, I do.

Source: http://www.hymnal.net/hymn.php/ns/231#ixzz1IJeb5Bay

And one more:

Lord, how long, dear Bridegroom,
'Til You come, Lord, how soon?
Don't delay for that coming day, coming day.
Grant me, Lord, to be filled
With You, Lord, every day.
Dearest Lord, take me all the way.
Come, Lord Jesus,
Please come, dear Bridegroom;
Precious One, come soon, come soon.
Lord, consume me!
Oh Lord, don't let me stray,
Faithful to You all the way.

Source: http://www.hymnal.net/hymn.php/lb/40#ixzz1IJffWfNl

These "hymns" really creep me out! [Ultra confused]

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh, no! Aaaaaaaaaaah, someone hand me a gallon of brain bleach!!

"Oh Jesus now grow in me;
I want for You to be
Pleased to be in me what You want to be
And when it gets too hard feel free
To grow some more in me."

Source: http://www.hymnal.net/hymn.php/ns/39#ixzz1IJgRg6ry

I'm not sure what's getting hard and I probably don't really want to know... [Projectile]

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Killing me] Paddy

The writer of this just needs to get herself a nice fella and a room.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

Eek! Makes "Your love is surprising, I can feel it rising" seem pretty tame by comparison.

--------------------

- Lyda Rose

The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
[Killing me] Paddy

The writer of this just needs to get herself a nice fella and a room.

Or, HE does! I sent these atrocious lyrics to all my Gay male pals so they could get a good laugh from some of those lines... "fill me to the brim..." [Killing me]

--------------------

birdie

fowl
# 2173

- Posted      Profile for birdie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
Eek! Makes "Your love is surprising, I can feel it rising" seem pretty tame by comparison.

Oh man, that's one of my pet hates. Mainly because it seems that Brian Doerksen wrote a perfectly adequate first verse, then seemed to think 'but one verse cannot possibly be enough', and came up with.... that.

When I use it in worship I try to only use the first verse, but often the congo gets carried away and we're singing the second verse before we know it. Some worship leader I am.

--------------------
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness."
Captain Jack Sparrow

Posts: 1290 | From: the edge | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Our school loved "Autumn Days", it was the unofficial school song. I like the way it brings ordinary everyday things into the realm of things to be thanked for. But I hated the jet plane line. The only refuelling planes I could think of were military. I wrote to the editor of the BBC Hymn Book to ask about it, and he thought it referred to stacking to come in to land, and that the author would never have intended the military connection.

I tried to find a substitute line - no rhymes available that weren't forced or meaningless. It would mean dumping that beautiful visual image from line one.

Meanwhile, reading this thread makes me glad I left singing churches for the Friends. Losing hymns had been my one regret.

Penny

[ 11. April 2011, 10:28: Message edited by: Penny S ]

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Today we had a new hymn in church; "Come into the streets with me" with the chorus

"Come and Follow my Leader.
Come and Follow my Leader
Jesus Christ is riding by
Come and Follow my Leader."

I surely can't be the only one who hears these words and visualises a game of Follow My Leader in progress down the streets of Jesusalem, complete with side kicks, bunny hops and bum wiggles.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am so, so, so, happy to be able to report that as far as I remember I have never heard of "Autumn Days" before this thread, never knowingly sung it, and have no idea what the tune is. [Razz] <== Smug Smiley.

--------------------
Ken

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
ken ... next pub meet, we'll have to educate you.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My school loved it too! It was one of my favourites along with "dance then wherever you may be..."
Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I know we've done PSA to the point of collective madness, but I still think "There is a green hill" belongs in here.

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Today at church we sang umpteen verses of the old spiritual "Ride On, Jesus Ride." We do this every year...we sing part of it during the Eucharist, and then part of it for the ending hymn.

It's painful to listen to rhythm-impaired white people butcher any traditional Negro spiritual, but for a dozen verses (and let's not forget the refrain!) on a special day, it's just too much.

The problem seems to be that our organist only knows three Palm-Sunday-appropriate hymns, and this is one of them.

During the closing verses, I could help leaning over to DP and whispering, "I'm sorry -- what's the name of this hymn again?", creating a chain-reaction titter down the row.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Emma Louise:
My school loved it too! It was one of my favourites along with "dance then wherever you may be..."

Ah, Lord of the Dance is beautiful! Not that I had any understanding of what it was all about when I sang it at school...

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Darkwing
Shipmate
# 16207

- Posted      Profile for Darkwing     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
One time in College Chapel, the speaker said, "You know, chapel could be a lot worse" and proceeded to show us this.

I apologize in advance.

--------------------
"Science was my most favorite subject, especially the Old Testament!"
- Kenneth, 30 Rock

Posts: 161 | From: NW Oregon, USA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by FooloftheShip:
I know we've done PSA to the point of collective madness, but I still think "There is a green hill" belongs in here.

Indeed - I refuse to have it sung in my church.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:
Originally posted by FooloftheShip:

Indeed - I refuse to have it sung in my church.
I love it! And I'm very much looking forward to singing it on Friday.

If it is right to talk about "looking forward" to commemorating a brutal act of torture, and spending two days thinking about sin and death and pain. Is it morally permissible to enjoy Good Friday music?

--------------------
Ken

LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Before each service at our church we have a little hymn sing using a home-made hymnal containing an odd mix of 70's folk mass favorites and old-school camp meetings beloved of a few of our elder members.

One of the very worst of the latter is "Fill My Cup, Lord -- a prototype of the "Jesus is My Boyfriend" genre of Christian songwriting from a past century. I can handle most of the other stuff in our little songbook...but when someone suggests this song I find myself creating alternative lyrics in my head:

Fill my cup, Lord,
I'm throwing up, Lord
Come and heal this retching in my soul...

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  31  32  33  34  35  36 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016