homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » It's Geek to me: Translating computereze (Page 28)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33 

Source: (consider it) Thread: It's Geek to me: Translating computereze
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
OK. After some screen failure and computer crashes which reset my pc to January 2002 (I've since amended the date and time), I can't connect to any secure sites any more. I'm getting an error message saying

"Secure connection: fatal error (1066)

The response from the online certificate validation (OCSP) server was too old."

Any ideas how I can get around this? It's Windows XP Service Pack 3 and I'm not a computer expert so simpler explanations would be helpful if possible. Should I do a system restore?

TIA.

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Now sorted (I hope) [Ultra confused]
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've got a box booting Linux Mint Cinnamon, and a box booting Windows 7, with Linux Mint Cinnamon in a Virtualbox.

I would like to remote desktop, controlling the linux boot machine from the windows boot machine, either from windows or from within the Virtualbox. I've installed Remmina on both, and can't see either machine from the other one. They're both talking to the internet, so I know they're connected to the router.

Help.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Look at me. Look at me. I did it. The product anybody should want to remote desktop with Linux beasties is nomachine. Fabulous product, easy to use, good online tutorial for setting everything up. And I even managed to install from a .deb file, which is maybe a first.

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This is regarding Skype, and their innumerable, never communicated and never detailed (for the user) updates.

I still have version 6.14.xx. I let it upgrade once, but only to revert ASAP via system restore - whenever I turned it off, it came up with a nagging screen, like 'Do you really want to turn off Skype? You won't be able to receive any calls, messages or files'; well, yes, and that's why I like to turn it off (not the invisible mode, but off as in 'shut down the programme'), if I don't need it.

Anyways: in another of the so-wise (not!) updates, and when talking with a someone who has version 7.0.59.xx, I noticed that if he sends me a file, this is no longer sent witin Skype, but now provides me a link to a Skype website, similar to this:
code:
https://api.asm.skype.com/s/i?0-cus-xxx

He, on the other hand, can still download my files within Skype. Question: Is there any way that users with upgraded, more recent versions can send you direct links, or has this now all been abolished in favour of webbased, i.e. cloud storage of said files?

I used to like Skype as a separate entity from a web browser, and I still think this is preferrable. Cloud may be fine for some items, but I don't want to always be logged into Skype on their website as well!

Any ideas?

(NB. There are frequent complaints within the Skype community about new features, which you find doing a websearch. However, I haven't found any outside look at Skype and helpful comments on a non-M$ website. Is there independent Skype watching?)

Thanks. [Smile]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Scots lass
Shipmate
# 2699

- Posted      Profile for Scots lass   Email Scots lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've downloaded all the metadata from my (well, work's) Flickr site, and it's currently in a plain text format. Ideally I want it in Excel/CSV - is there a straightforward way of doing that? Preferably described in relatively non-technical language, getting it out of Flickr was pretty much the limit of my technological skills...

It's for a work project, so theoretically I could probably get our IT people to do it, but I'd prefer to do it myself as that way I keep control of the content!

Posts: 863 | From: the diaspora | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
First of all it may be in CSV already as CSV is a popular pure text format.

If it isn't then there is a good chance Excel can read it anyway.

If not then the final thing is to get hold of a decent text editor with decent find and replace and put it manually into csv format.

One of the skills of my job when I started out and things did not talk to each other too well was the ability to get data out of any package and into another. If you have a friendly older statistician they might well be able to use a stats package to do it, if the first two fail.

Jengie

[ 28. January 2015, 21:02: Message edited by: Jengie jon ]

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Scots lass
Shipmate
# 2699

- Posted      Profile for Scots lass   Email Scots lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks for that. I think it may end up as the manual edit (*looks at the amount of data, weeps*) but will try the other ideas first!
Posts: 863 | From: the diaspora | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scots lass:
Thanks for that. I think it may end up as the manual edit (*looks at the amount of data, weeps*) but will try the other ideas first!

How do you intend to do the manual edit? Is there some pattern to the text?

Is there some simple marker ending a row/cell in a row (in which case then excel definitely can cope_using the method above).
Does it rely on a fixed number of characters (in which case it can cope again).
If it's HTML style you might be able to open in IE and then copy/paste? Or use find/replace.

And if none of that is suitable, then it should be possible to bodge something up.

[posting as think the methods Jengie gave ought to work and be fairly quick, and if they don't it's for a reason that someone might know how to resolve if they know the right details]

[ 28. January 2015, 22:24: Message edited by: Jay-Emm ]

Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
ought wasn't the right word to use above.
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This isn't so much about translating something as about seeing if anyone here is aware whether something exists...

I'd like a page where I can store links in folders - like an online filing cabinet of links to articles and things. Not a bookmarks bar - I don't want to clutter that up with links to one article here, one here, but something like a blog that's just for storing and organising links. Something I could go to, find a link and share it on Facebook or here or whatever - or better, share it so it redirects people straight to the whatever-it-is. There're more and more interesting articles appearing on my FB timeline (for example), and I'd like to be able to keep them on a website somewhere so I could go "oh, an article about Canadian water-buffallo, yes I read something about that, look in the "animals" section, see a preview (like those you get on Facebook, you know the type) and think, yes, that's the one. I can message that to a friend who's just bought one as a pet.

Does that exist (for free?) I'm sure it must, but I'm not sure how best to google for it, and I think I must be missing something obvious.

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well there's save-and-read-it-later sites like Pocket and Instapaper. These actual save a version of the article (webpage) which you can retrieve and read later. They have apps and browser extensions so one way to use them is save the article using the browser extension and then read in the app later, on your phone or tablet.

For organisation Instapaper has folders, Pocket has tags.

If you just want something to store links then I use Delicious which again uses tags.

There are probably many other such sites these are the ones I've used.

Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My PC (Windows 7) has suddenly started refusing to zip files, whether with the usual tool or with WinRar. I get a message along the lines of:

"Impossible to complete: access refused"

Multiple files on from webmail are still automatically zipped on downloading and I can unzip everything.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on?

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Google may be your friend, although if it's worked all along and suddenly stopped, I'd be suspicious of what may have happened (virus?).

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks, that helped resolve it.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Paul.:
Well there's save-and-read-it-later sites like Pocket and Instapaper. These actual save a version of the article (webpage) which you can retrieve and read later. They have apps and browser extensions so one way to use them is save the article using the browser extension and then read in the app later, on your phone or tablet.

For organisation Instapaper has folders, Pocket has tags.

If you just want something to store links then I use Delicious which again uses tags.

There are probably many other such sites these are the ones I've used.

Thank you. Delicious seems good. I can't put them in folders, but apart from that it's ideal. Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you to say thanks.

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A fairly basic question here. Is there such a thing as good free anti-virus software for a machine running an MS operating system? Or, as with so much in life, is it a case of you get what you pay for?

(I currently run the free versions of Malwarebytes and avast!, and all I can say is I don't think I have any virus problems. But I have the same quality of evidence for this tin of tiger repellant I have on my desk...)

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
For general, always running in the background, I favor Norton. It's not free, but it's reliable and they don't shove other crap down your throat all the time (I'm looking at you, McAfee).
For spot cleaning or special issues, MalwareBytes is my go-to.

--------------------
Siegfried
Life is just a bowl of cherries!

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The free (personal) version of Avast! has always done OK by the various friends and relations I get blagged into helping. Not too resource hungry, seems reasonably effective.

Notes:
- make sure you get it from the legit site, as it's one of those tools that gets re-packaged in wrapper installers and offered with malware from download sites, oh the comedy

- you need to register annually (give it an email address) but IME it doesn't result in any unwanted communications

- at renewal time it will try to sucker you into the paid for version (fair enough) so keep your wits about you (or pay, if you like it and can afford it)

- turn off the voice notifications, they're weird and disconcerting [Smile]

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Alisdair
Shipmate
# 15837

- Posted      Profile for Alisdair   Email Alisdair   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
For the sake of offering a genuine alternative to anti-virus software, consider this:

Unless user's of the machine are in the habit of visiting the less salubrious parts of the net, or are naive enough to click on any link or unexpected PDF that happens to land in their mailbox, the chances of being infected by a virus are actually quite low. Not vanishingly small, but not likely to be a weekly or even a monthly occurance. I have run internet connected machnies 'naked' for years had no infections; but YMMV. ;-)

Anti-virus software has a terrible habit of taking over your machine, ruining it's performance, and too often behaving effectively like malware, i.e. the kind of software you really don't want to have and shouldn't have to put up with, let alone pay for.

What to do?

Run a regular and effective backup regime. Something we should all do, but all to few of us actually do, and then of course, sooner or later, there are tears.

By 'imaging' your system now and again, and keeping regular backups of your personal files you can run your computer without the overhead and intrusiveness of anti-virus software, and should disaster strike it is a simple matter to reinstall a 'clean' system and recover all your data. This is effective against crypto-locker attacks as well as any other virus type attacks. AND, you don't have some unaccountable corporate entity roaming freely on your computer and demanding 'protection money' every year.

This is not offered as a panacea, but as a viable alternative approach to securing your computer and data. It won't suit everyone, but it is effective.

[ 11. February 2015, 16:32: Message edited by: Alisdair ]

Posts: 334 | From: Washed up in England | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by luvanddaisies:
This isn't so much about translating something as about seeing if anyone here is aware whether something exists...

I'd like a page where I can store links in folders - like an online filing cabinet of links to articles and things. Not a bookmarks bar - I don't want to clutter that up with links to one article here, one here, but something like a blog that's just for storing and organising links. Something I could go to, find a link and share it on Facebook or here or whatever - or better, share it so it redirects people straight to the whatever-it-is. There're more and more interesting articles appearing on my FB timeline (for example), and I'd like to be able to keep them on a website somewhere so I could go "oh, an article about Canadian water-buffallo, yes I read something about that, look in the "animals" section, see a preview (like those you get on Facebook, you know the type) and think, yes, that's the one. I can message that to a friend who's just bought one as a pet.

Does that exist (for free?) I'm sure it must, but I'm not sure how best to google for it, and I think I must be missing something obvious.

I'm a bit late replying to this so you may be fixed up but I use Evernote for this sort of thing. Evernote

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Posts: 600 | From: Cloud Cuckoo Land | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
jrw
Shipmate
# 18045

- Posted      Profile for jrw     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:

I currently run the free versions of Malwarebytes and avast!, and all I can say is I don't think I have any virus problems.

Are you running two anti-virus programs on the same computer? Not a good idea, apparently. I read that they 'fight against' each other.
Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

quote:

(I currently run the free versions of Malwarebytes and avast!, and all I can say is I don't think I have any virus problems. But I have the same quality of evidence for this tin of tiger repellant I have on my desk...)

At least with the tiger repellent you&I know there aren't any tigers nearby* (regardless of the cause).

*in our respective environments. (and assuming tigers haven't learnt to pick locks silently).

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Have any of you ever used TeamSpeak 3 (linkie) for IRC, i.e. chatting, for file transfer and audio conversations? What's your experience?

Thank you! [Smile]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Snags
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by jrw:
quote:

I currently run the free versions of Malwarebytes and avast!, and all I can say is I don't think I have any virus problems.

Are you running two anti-virus programs on the same computer? Not a good idea, apparently. I read that they 'fight against' each other.
Avast! is av and memory resident. Malwarebytes, in free trim, runs on demand. No significant conflicts in that scenario. They also cover slightly different but overlapping issues, so again, minimal internal fisticuffs.

--------------------

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Re free anti-virus and such:

AVG is good, IME. Also Spybot. They do different things.

PCPitstop has some good paid-for programs; but also has freebie tests you can run, and then fix the problems yourself. And it has forums where you can get help with problems.

I had a bad time with paid-for anti-virus programs--especially Norton and Kaspersky.

IME, you can use multiple AV programs if you don't run them at the same time. It's good to have more than one, though, because they pick up on different things.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm going to be on holiday later this year, mainly in Northern Europe. If I take my tablet pc with me, will I be able to log in to BBC iPlayer and watch live programmes?

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Sparrow: I'm going to be on holiday later this year, mainly in Northern Europe. If I take my tablet pc with me, will I be able to log in to BBC iPlayer and watch live programmes?
I don't think you can watch BBC streaming outside of the UK.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
When I try to watch BBC iPlayer in the USA, I get a notice saying it's available only in the UK.

There was a time when people went on vacation to foreign lands to enjoy the culture. Now they go to keep up with their iPlayer feeds from home . . . ?

[Stop the world. Miss Amanda wants to get off.]

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Secure VPN

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

In addition to what lilBuddha is saying:

I've used the FoxyProxy add-on (standard version) for Firefox plus their paid-up UK access for many years. Only very few lapses, good customer service; both are quite reliable!

The free add-on is for FF, Chrome and IE, possibly others, see their site. The minimum, non-recurrent (or recurrent, if you like) subscription for their proxy/VPN services for 1 month is about $10. There's a 3-day free trial. Absolutely no problem to cancel within that period (I did this when trying it out, and later before upgrading to longer period subscriptions. These are then somewhat cheaper). Access to other countries is offered too.

Other proxy services are available, of course. It's just that I've found this one to be excellent. [Cool]

--------------------

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's ok, on further investigation it won;t be needed. I wanted to see whether, if necessary, we could get BBC football on the tablet for BF when we are away on holiday, but on looking at the schedules for his team (Liverpool FC) [Overused] [Overused] [Overused] it won't be necessary.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Anyone here have any experience with CodeWeavers? Does it work?

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Anyone with experience of sharing calendar (in particular) info between an iPad and an Android phone?

I have just got a whizzy new Sony Xperia, and an iPad Air (plus I have my old iPad 2, which I will continue to use). It would be really useful to have to enter upcoming events on any one of these and have it sync to all of them.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Anyone with experience of sharing calendar (in particular) info between an iPad and an Android phone?

I have just got a whizzy new Sony Xperia, and an iPad Air (plus I have my old iPad 2, which I will continue to use). It would be really useful to have to enter upcoming events on any one of these and have it sync to all of them.

That reminds me, has anybody experience of sharing a calendar between Windows Live Mail on a PC, and an Android tablet?

--------------------

Snags
# 15351

Calendar sharing: the least-hassle route is to use a server-based system so each client device is just a view on the same data.

So if you're hooked into something like Exchange it all Just Works.

If not, your best bet, particularly with Android, is to try to integrate your disparate applications into something like a Google Calendar. Otherwise it's a world of shims and kludges, generally, in my experience.

--------------------

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

The story so far: I have run into a problem in trying to set up two devices to synchronise calendars. I have a Windows phone (Nokia Lumia) and an Android tablet (Samsung Galaxy) with a Microsoft account (@live.com) running on both. I have had some success in that when I enter an appointment in the calendar on the phone, it shows up also on the Android tablet. But I can’t make it happen in reverse. Anything I put in the calendar on the tablet, doesn’t show up on the phone. I am sure there is just one small thing I need to do to make it work, can anyone advise please?

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
From having dealt with Android devices for a while are you sure that the calendar that you are making the appointment on the Samsung device is actually the one attached to the live.com account? I find that most devices have the default calendar to be the one that is run by the manufacturer in this case "Samsung".

I use Calengoo app on all devices after falling out with the Sony calendar on the phone before last. This allows me to easily change calendar and have similar experiences on all devices.

Jengie

[ 06. March 2015, 20:02: Message edited by: Jengie jon ]

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

That's it! I just needed to change the setting so the Samsung calendar synchronised with the right email address. It works now! Thanks a lot.

--------------------

Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Why is it so fripping hard to install software in linux? My God, they go out of their way to make it as difficult as possible.

Okay so I've downloaded fuckme.tar.gz. The online instructions say to do this:

tar xvzf fuckme.tar.gz

Okay that works, it extracts the folder inside the tar file. Then the instructions say to look for a "readme" file. None. Fine. Now it says do this:

./configure

result:

bash: ./configure: No such file or directory.

WHAM. Stymied. I'm fucked. Can you google for "./config no such file or directory"? Hell if you can.

Cloud help? Puhleeze. And of course I can't find a man entry for configure if configure doesn't exist.

Linux may be wonderful, but Windows has it all over Linux in installing software. Hands down, no contest, for installing software, Windows rules, Linux drools.

So all of you Linux kool-aid drinkers, please help me. How do I install this software?

Tarballs are not really the best way to install for Linux. The Software Repository (popularised and referred to as App Stores under Android or Apple) are your best bet here.

The intended way for most distributions is for software to be installed and tested by QA people - who then repackage it and release it onto repositories. You then use a Package Manager to yank it.

In Debian-based distros - this would be the apt-get or aptitude package; in Red Hat, this would be the RPM tools, typically YUM.

Packages are built with the current-for-distro-version baseline packages.. upstream source tarballs are compiled and tested by release management personnel (we called them AppAdders at work), then QA is done and the package released to production servers.

The user (you) would then issue a command like sudo apt-get install (packagename).

NEVER install tarballs unless you know what you;re doing, and you don't mind risking breaking another dependency.

Posts: 2146 | From: Reading, Berkshire UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Alex Cockell:
NEVER install tarballs unless you know what you;re doing, and you don't mind risking breaking another dependency.

Well that would be just peachy if the software I wanted was available through apt-get, with which I am thoroughly familiar, thank you very much. When the software I want is not available through apt-get, when it's tarballs or nothing, it has to be tarballs. Which is what prompted my original complaint.

--------------------

Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
One solution would be to raise a package request with your distro provider in their bug tracking system.

Supply the location of teh software - a release bod could then work on it for future releases...

Oh - did you look around for a PPA (personal repo)?

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=31954

[ 07. March 2015, 14:43: Message edited by: Alex Cockell ]

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Alex, that question was raised in December last year. It's now March. It's not really ongoing any more.
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Alex, that question was raised in December last year. It's now March. It's not really ongoing any more.

Sorry - was catching up;
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I get daily pop ups titled Adobe Flash Player Settings: blah blah blah dot com is asking permission to store information on your computer.... I keep clicking 'deny' but it's hard to make the dang message go away. What's up with this?

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mousethief

Is there a configure.ac file in the folder produced by tar?

If so running autoconfigure will cause it to produce the configure file. And then you can run the configure file by typing ./configure

Using autoconf to Create configure

The reason it's so complicated is that it has to build the software to run on your version of Linux with the compiler you use (like gcc) and for your hardware. It's a lot messier than windows because you're actually doing the builds yourself.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Anyone here have any experience with CodeWeavers? Does it work?

Yes. I used it extensively for a number of years, though have gone to free versions of wine more recently because what I needed to do either ran in VirtualBox or VMware installs of winxp.

My normal question if someone asks about running windows software on Linux is what task they are trying to accomplish or thing they find is missing within Linux. Many times the task can be done another way, or there is some expert who can tell you what to do.

I see your subsequent posts are about compiling or building from source (tarballs). Are your questions connected? I'd be happy to help if I can, but would want to know what distro you're using and what the problem is.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
jrw
Shipmate
# 18045

- Posted      Profile for jrw     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pearl B4 Swine:
I get daily pop ups titled Adobe Flash Player Settings: blah blah blah dot com is asking permission to store information on your computer.... I keep clicking 'deny' but it's hard to make the dang message go away. What's up with this?

I don't know what operating system you are using, but in Windows XP you can go into the control panel on the start menu, click on Flash Player and you'll be able to change the settings from 'ask me...' to either 'block...' or 'allow...'.
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

(bump)
Sarah G
Shipmate
# 11669

- Posted      Profile for Sarah G     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Can anyone recommend a bit of free software to copy DVDs that doesn't come with nasties attached?

I used to use Nero, but you have to install OpenCandy.

Thanks for any replies.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016