homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Don't blink (Dr Who thread) (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  10  11  12 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Don't blink (Dr Who thread)
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I understand that the old thread has disappeared into the Void, so I guess it's ok if I start a new one?

If I got it right, The Magician's Apprentice will air on the 19ᵗʰ, so ten days from now. I don't think it is a spoiler if I say that it contains Missy and the Daleks. I think there is going to be a prequel too.

I have to say that I'm not completely convinced about Missy yet. In my opinion, the way Michelle Gomez portrays the character looks a bit too much like how John Simm did it. But if this episode completely blows my mind and changes my opinion about her, all the better.

All I want to say is, I can't wait.

[ 09. September 2015, 21:12: Message edited by: LeRoc ]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Missy is the only version of the character that I enjoy. Until she turned up I thought 'evil counterpart of the Doctor' was just a bit of an unimaginative concept. (The Master's origin was in the UNIT years when they were trying to make Doctor Who more like every other action tv series there was.) I'm not sure what it says about me that I think Missy does work.
I suppose that good as Delgado was as an actor, his version of the Master was a generically evil mastermind with overtones of dodgy foreigner too clever by half. (There's probably some old residue of anti-Jesuit prejudice if not anti-Muslim or anti-semitism.) Ainley was a camp imitation of Delgado; Simm a more modern updating of Ainley. Gomez, even if her version is based on Simm, takes the character out from under Delgado's shadow.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Dafyd: Gomez, even if her version is based on Simm, takes the character out from under Delgado's shadow.
I can see how Gomez wanted to start out with Simm and take it from there. I have seen the 'start out with Simm' part; now please give me the 'take it from there' part [Biased] I guess this is one of my hopes for Season 9.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
Ainley was a camp imitation of Delgado; Simm a more modern updating of Ainley. Gomez, even if her version is based on Simm, takes the character out from under Delgado's shadow.

I view it differently. Delgado's Master was evil. Charming, but evil. But it was a very cold, calculating, sane evil. Ainley's Master, by contrast, was barking mad (or meowing mad in Survival). I didn't object to that because, by character history, he had already been a decomposing corpse of a body and was currently living by body snatching others. That's the sort of thing that might make one go bonkers. While the very brief view we had of Jacobi as the Master seemed more sane, Simms then went back to Master-as-imperfect-anagram-of-"Mad-as-a-Hatter." And Gomez has self-declared as bonkers. Crazy evil is fun, but it would be nice to go back to a cold sane evil version of the Master. In other words, somebody willing to go back under Delgado's shadow.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Tell you what, I love me some Michelle Gomez. Can't wait to see her do stuff.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I can't stand Missy - thanks for the warning. I may skip the episode.
Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

- Posted      Profile for Jack o' the Green   Email Jack o' the Green   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm not a great fan either. I prefer my evil 'almost normal/sane but lacking empathy and remorse' rather than pantomime whacky.
Posts: 3121 | From: Lancashire, England | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Ariel: I can't stand Missy - thanks for the warning. I may skip the episode.
I think it's a two-parter, so you may want to skip the next one too [Smile]

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Jack o' the Green: I'm not a great fan either. I prefer my evil 'almost normal/sane but lacking empathy and remorse' rather than pantomime whacky.
I like my villains a bit tragic. For example a villain doing terrible things who honestly believes that he's doing good.

I have the feeling that they tried to bring some drama into the Master with this "Gallifreyans are forced to look into the Untempered Schism when they're eight years old" thing. I think there is more to be explored there, more stories to be told. This is what I would be doing.

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:
Delgado's Master was evil. Charming, but evil. But it was a very cold, calculating, sane evil.

Have you thought about some of the schemes Delgado's Master got up to? In his first adventure he tried to take over the world by distibuting deadly plastic daffodils. Then the Doctor tells him that his allies might try to double-cross him and the Master goes oh dear, I hadn't thought of that, I'd better switch sides.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
I have the feeling that they tried to bring some drama into the Master with this "Gallifreyans are forced to look into the Untempered Schism when they're eight years old" thing. I think there is more to be explored there, more stories to be told.

I don't think that's drama. That's just angst for the sake of angst. Maybe if you brought Romana back and explored how she coped with the experience there'd be an actual story. But as it is, it's just an obviously artificial attempt to create a tragic backstory.
Anyway, I thought you wanted to get away from the Simm Master.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Dafyd: I don't think that's drama. That's just angst for the sake of angst.
I largely agree with you. It hasn't become dramatic because so far, they have treated this part of his backstory in a rather superficial way. But if they'd set their minds to doing it better (you already gave a suggestion for that), it could become a compelling story and give a lot of interest to this villain.

quote:
Dafyd: Anyway, I thought you wanted to get away from the Simm Master.
I'm just having a light chat here [Smile] I guess what I want to get away from is the feeling that she is imitating his mannerisms a bit too much.

[ 10. September 2015, 09:04: Message edited by: LeRoc ]

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I quite liked Missy. I think it was a case of the writers testing the waters to see how fans would react to a female Doctor. If they do go down that road, I think Mariah Gale would be a good choice.

I'm hoping they'll come up with a good new villain. Since the show was brought back with Christopher Eccleston's doctor, I've only found the Weeping Angels and The Silence to be particularly good.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I wish we could get the current series here in the US.

Our adult daughter is a hard-core fan: she goes to a meeting of a local Dr. Who fan club every Tuesday night.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
I quite liked Missy. I think it was a case of the writers testing the waters to see how fans would react to a female Doctor.

Totally no from my POV, though that's not why I object to Missy: she's just excruciating to watch.

quote:
I'm hoping they'll come up with a good new villain. Since the show was brought back with Christopher Eccleston's doctor, I've only found the Weeping Angels and The Silence to be particularly good.
Yes, I agree. The Daleks have been a bit over-used in recent years I think.

[ 10. September 2015, 10:53: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
Have you thought about some of the schemes Delgado's Master got up to? In his first adventure he tried to take over the world by distibuting deadly plastic daffodils. Then the Doctor tells him that his allies might try to double-cross him and the Master goes oh dear, I hadn't thought of that, I'd better switch sides.

I never said he didn't have a sense of humor. But the point of the daffodils was that you can kill a human with just a few inches of plastic to seal off the nose and mouth--that is cold, calculating evil. The fact that he chose plastic daffodils as a delivery system also made sense. It beat going door to door and hand-applying the plastic gag to each person. The free daffodils wouldn't get everybody, but they would go to enough people to kill enough people to cause massive disruption to society--which was the point.

As for abandoning it because he realized his ally would double-cross him, that also is logical. For example, I often wonder, in WWII, if Germany had developed the atom bomb first, whether Japan wouldn't have "pulled a Master" and thought "Uh oh! Maybe we should switch sides because we can't trust Germany not to double-cross us." Such re-thinking can happen among sane people.

But that was the Delgado Master's weakness: he listened to logical argument and considered it sanely. That beats heck out of Loony Tunes Master who thinks he can blackmail the entire Universe by sending out a tape recording from Earth....

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
The free daffodils wouldn't get everybody, but they would go to enough people to kill enough people to cause massive disruption to society--which was the point.

I'm not saying that there wasn't some rationale behind it. What I'm saying is that any sane mind capable of coming up with the plan he did come up with would certainly be capable of coming up with a plan that was simpler and more straightforward.

quote:
As for abandoning it because he realized his ally would double-cross him, that also is logical.
It might be logical. The question is, why given that he's such a sane calculating genius, hadn't he given the possibility some thought earlier? It's not as if he's Eddard Stark who would never double-cross anyone and therefore never thinks that anyone would double-cross him.

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

Wasn't there an episode where Jo asks the Doctor why the Master is doing such-and-such, and the Doctor explains that he is just like a small boy stirring up an ant pile. Just doing it for the fun of it. Maybe the whole Nestene Consciousness team-up could be explained that way. The method chosen is inefficient, but he doesn't want efficiency. The fun was causing wide-spread but apparently unrelated deaths. To achieve that effect, the daffodils were perfect.

And, because he was doing it for the fun of it, when the Nestenes got big enough to actually be a threat to him, he called it off.

Or, alternatively, he expected that, by the time the Nestene got a foothold (or tentacle-hold, or whatever-hold) on Earth, he expected to be in his TARDIS and away. Didn't the Doctor disable the Master's TARDIS, thereby trapping him on Earth as well? That would be reason enough for the Master to switch sides.

Of course, that would assume that the Master knew his TARDIS had been disabled...but I'll just say that the Doctor whispered that info to him off-camera just before he changed sides....

<Hedgie, happily rewriting history like the First Law of Time didn't exist>

[tangent]Does anybody else tend to confuse the Nestene Consciousness with the Great Intelligence?[/tangent]

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
I wish we could get the current series here in the US.

Our adult daughter is a hard-core fan: she goes to a meeting of a local Dr. Who fan club every Tuesday night.

BTW, BBC America will be showing the new series more or less concurrently. In other words, the first episode of the new series will be shown on September 19 here in the US as well. The trick is getting access to BBC America. Fortunately, it is part of my regular cable package.

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Wasn't there an episode where Jo asks the Doctor why the Master is doing such-and-such, and the Doctor explains that he is just like a small boy stirring up an ant pile. Just doing it for the fun of it.

Isn't that's description of Ecclestone's Doctor? The boyish grin when about to enter a dangerous situation? The Doctor/Master parallels are part of the fun of it.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Anyone else seen

[ 11. September 2015, 12:33: Message edited by: Pine Marten ]

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Bugger! Anyone else seen this yet?

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bene Gesserit
Shipmate
# 14718

- Posted      Profile for Bene Gesserit   Email Bene Gesserit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have now - and that is interesting!

--------------------
Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus

Posts: 405 | From: Flatlands of the East | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

- Posted      Profile for Jack o' the Green   Email Jack o' the Green   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bene Gesserit:
I have now - and that is interesting!

It certainly is. Am really looking forward to the new season now.
Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

quote:
quote:
Jack o' the Green: I'm not a great fan either. I prefer my evil 'almost normal/sane but lacking empathy and remorse' rather than pantomime whacky.
I like my villains a bit tragic. For example a villain doing terrible things who honestly believes that he's doing good.

Yes, I like that too. However, it takes a very good actor and script to pull it off well. As illustrated by its extremely poor execution in 'Revenge of the Sith'.
HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have a stray question. As I recall, at the end of the episode about the doctor's daughter, she died, or appeared to, and the doctor left thinking she was gone. After that, she revived and dashed off to have adventures.

If that's correct, then the doctor must still think she is dead. In an episode at the end of season 8, Clara (pretending she is the doctor) recites various facts about him, including the existence of his daughter. How could she know this? (I know, the facetious answer is that she has watched that episode.)

I would like the BBC to create a spin-off series about the daughter. The actress who played the role was charming, but if she does not want to do it again, she could regenerate into another actress. She needs to have a Tardis or at least one of those time-travel wrist gadgets, but it would be fun to have a genuinely young Time Lady learning who she is. What kind of companions should she have? (Nonhuman, to avoid sexual complications.)

Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
HCH: In an episode at the end of season 8, Clara (pretending she is the doctor) recites various facts about him, including the existence of his daughter. How could she know this? (I know, the facetious answer is that she has watched that episode.)
The way I understand it, it has to do with her being the Impossible Girl. She jumped in to his time-stream thingy, and was therefore present at various times in his life. Something like that.

quote:
Jack o' the Green: However, it takes a very good actor and script to pull it off well. As illustrated by its extremely poor execution in 'Revenge of the Sith'.
I completely agree. In fact, I've all but forgotten about RotS. I like having a female Master, and Michelle Gomez is obviously a good actress, but my hope for Missy is that they would pull something like this off. That would be brilliant.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by HCH:
I have a stray question. As I recall, at the end of the episode about the doctor's daughter, she died, or appeared to, and the doctor left thinking she was gone. After that, she revived and dashed off to have adventures.

If that's correct, then the doctor must still think she is dead. In an episode at the end of season 8, Clara (pretending she is the doctor) recites various facts about him, including the existence of his daughter. How could she know this? (I know, the facetious answer is that she has watched that episode.)

I would like the BBC to create a spin-off series about the daughter. The actress who played the role was charming, but if she does not want to do it again, she could regenerate into another actress. She needs to have a Tardis or at least one of those time-travel wrist gadgets, but it would be fun to have a genuinely young Time Lady learning who she is. What kind of companions should she have? (Nonhuman, to avoid sexual complications.)

I've gotten the feeling they are gradually building up to something much like this. I'll put a bar of Maya Gold on it.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

quote:

quote:
Jack o' the Green: However, it takes a very good actor and script to pull it off well. As illustrated by its extremely poor execution in 'Revenge of the Sith'.
I completely agree. In fact, I've all but forgotten about RotS.
Aren't you lucky! Wish I had. Sorry for the reminder! Together with the third of Christopher Nolan's 'Dark Knight Trilogy', it was my largest cinematic disappointment. First world problems and all that.
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've read a piece somewhere about the guests to be expected in the upcoming series, with hints about David Bowie and Keith Richards being wished for by Capaldi. But the actress who plays Arya Stark in "Game of Thrones" is to be in, and in more than one episode, with an aside about her being a special character.

And my mind went to the first daughter post up thread.

[ 12. September 2015, 21:08: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
But the actress who plays Arya Stark in "Game of Thrones" is to be in, and in more than one episode, with an aside about her being a special character.

I'd like it to be Romana. (Although they'd ask Lalla Ward if she could do the regeneration if necessary.)

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Pine Marten: Anyone else seen this yet?
Ohila? Hmm ...

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
But the actress who plays Arya Stark in "Game of Thrones" is to be in, and in more than one episode, with an aside about her being a special character.

I wish they wouldn't do that. There are times when I think it's turning into a vehicle for celebrity guest appearances. It doesn't need it.
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think it's rather that the people who have grown up with it want to be on it, and now have the power to achieve it.

Which makes it rather like trying to watch the Severn Bore with no surfers.

[ 13. September 2015, 20:00: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
The Daleks have been a bit over-used in recent years I think.

I think not! My wife and I were on holiday in Cornwall and we visited Land's End in 2007. There was a traveling Dr. Who museum there. The scariest monsters we ever saw in our lives were the
FLYING Daleks! Pity they were out of salt cellars and pepper mills!

My wife does think the Weeping Angels are worse, but they did not exist at the time.

Pity we cannot get a Television Licence!

[brick wall]

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
One of my best Delgardo moments was last year when I was watching the Daemons and he appeared as the local vicar. Middle Rogueling (aged 14) was audibly shocked.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Clara is leaving. To be honest, I'm not terribly sad over that. The latest interviews have been all about how very much attuned Clara and the Doctor have become to each other. I think that's a dead end in the long run; I'd like a little more tension between the Doctor and his companion.

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I like Jenna - I hope she is in all sort of other stuff.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Okay, the stakes have been set. I definitely need to see that one again.

--------------------

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well I thought that was rather good. A couple of slow bits - notably the medieval scene, which I didn't like at all - but generally really rather good and, I hope, a setup for a suitably twisty conclusion to the story next week. (If next week is the conclusion - I've been carefully avoiding spoilers.)

I thought Missy was much better than last time round - back to a semi-rational Delgado style Master rather than the twitching maniac we saw from Anthony Ainley onwards. And I thought the Other Guest Character was perfectly acted and really quite disturbing - just how he should be!

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

I very much enjoyed it. I agree that Missy was significantly better than last series. Some thought provoking ideas, and nicely set up for next week.
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Adeodatus: I thought Missy was much better than last time round
Me too. For example when she was dancing. I can imagine Simm dancing, but for him it would be something like "I'm going to dance because I'm mad as a hatter and I want to dance tralala!" In Gomez's case, it was more "I'm going to dance because I'm completely superior to you and I can dance if I want to." That's a nice difference.

I'm not completely convinced by "Missy is the Doctor's best friend" yet. Of course it is a well-known trope that archenemies come to develop a sort of respect for eachother. But I like it when that is subtle, it is a bit too much in your face for me here. Let's see where this goes.

quote:
Adeodatus: notably the medieval scene, which I didn't like at all
Neither did I. The joke "look for tiny anachronisms" and then he comes in on top of a tank playing electric guitar is OK, but they should have left the scene right after that.

quote:
Jack o' the Green: nicely set up for next week.
Definitely! Looking forward to it.

--------------------

Athrawes
Ship's parrot
# 9594

- Posted      Profile for Athrawes   Email Athrawes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, that was very interesting. I don't really like Missy, but she is interesting this time around.

--------------------
Explaining why is going to need a moment, since along the way we must take in the Ancient Greeks, the study of birds, witchcraft, 19thC Vaudeville and the history of baseball. Michael Quinion.

Posts: 2966 | From: somewhere with a book shop | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

BTW What do you think of Clara, the UNIT superwoman? I can't say I'm very fond of that.

(Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that female companions shouldn't have an active role; quite to the contrary. I just don't feel that this is a very interesting way to bring this about.)

--------------------

Athrawes
Ship's parrot
# 9594

- Posted      Profile for Athrawes   Email Athrawes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I got the impression that they were trying to bring back the 'genius' bit they had at the beginning, and that we've seen so little of. And that UNIT only contacted her because they couldn't get onto the Doctor and thought she might have more info. (Hoping that isn't a spoiler...)

--------------------
Explaining why is going to need a moment, since along the way we must take in the Ancient Greeks, the study of birds, witchcraft, 19thC Vaudeville and the history of baseball. Michael Quinion.

Posts: 2966 | From: somewhere with a book shop | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Capaldi was playing the guitar for real. Released by Radio Times.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
Capaldi was playing the guitar for real. Released by Radio Times.

I was fairly sure he must be, partly from watching the fingering, and partly because it wasn't that flash, which made it plausible he could be doing it rather than having Steve Vai doing overdubs [Smile]

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am guessing that might be a reason for it lasting so long.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
balaam: Capaldi was playing the guitar for real.
Yes, very cool.

quote:
Schroedinger's cat: I am guessing that might be a reason for it lasting so long.
I don't have a problem with the length of the guitar solo, but the whole speech and him inventing the word 'dude' ... We already had the big anachronism joke, I don't think there was a need for a couple of small ones after that.

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

I had a feeling that as well as referencing Star Wars in the cantina, there were hints of Bill and Ted as well.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  10  11  12 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016