homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Eccles: Daily offices (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  19  20  21 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Eccles: Daily offices
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DitzySpike:
But I'm looking for the Dominican Book of Hours that uses the splendid ICEL Liturgical Psalter.

Since I'm interestend in all things Dominican, I googled around for this. You have me confused... As described here, the offical Psalter for the Liturgy of Hours is currently the Grail 1963 translation, not the ICEL 1994 version which had its imprimatur removed.

Now, the only post-Vatican II "Dominican" breviary I could find is "Breviary According to the Rite of the Order of Preachers, St. Saviour's, Dublin, 1967", shown here on the timeline and here in more detail (under the subtitle "After the Council - The First Wave - 1963 to 1970"). This apparently has the Grail Psalter and is based on the 1962 Latin text. There's also an abbreviated version without Matins.

Now, the full edition is currently available (used) from Alibris for a mere US$ 374.95. Just a tad too pricey for me. [Biased] If there's anything else "Dominician" around (or in the works), please let us (or me) know!

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bartolomeo:
I am most comfortable with contemporary langauge and would find the archaic forms a distraction. Being in the U.S. and from a low church background, I'm not sure quite where best to turn.

You might also want to take a look at The Divine Hours Summertime and Wintertime editor Phyllis Tickle.

[Edited URL as it didn't work. Hope these are right - T]

[ 10. March 2005, 21:15: Message edited by: Tubbs ]

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
DitzySpike
Shipmate
# 1540

- Posted      Profile for DitzySpike   Email DitzySpike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
Now, the full edition is currently available (used) from Alibris for a mere US$ 374.95. Just a tad too pricey for me. [Biased] If there's anything else "Dominician" around (or in the works), please let us (or me) know! [/QB]

Found it here http://www.op.org/domcentral/life/chorbook.htm

Wrote to them but yet to get a reply [Frown]

Posts: 498 | From: Singapore | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace*

Shipmate
# 4754

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace*   Email Amazing Grace*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jlg:
quote:
Originally posted by Bartolomeo:
I am most comfortable with contemporary langauge and would find the archaic forms a distraction. Being in the U.S. and from a low church background, I'm not sure quite where best to turn.

You might also want to take a look at The Divine Hours Summertime and Wintertime editor Phyllis Tickle.
There is also a Springtime volume, as well as some smaller seasonal ones for Christmastide and Eastertide.

Charlotte

--------------------
.sig on vacation

Posts: 2594 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead*     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another thing that puzzles me, towards the end of Compline in CCP is the sentence

quote:
[Come with the dawning of the day
and make yourself known in the breaking of the bread]

Are the square brackets here an indication that this is only said in some circumstances - if one is expecting to partake of Communion the next day, perhaps? If so,what if a group of people are saying this and some will take Communion the next day?

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Posts: 7082 | From: Turbolift Control. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Second Mouse

Citizen of Grand Fenwick
# 2793

- Posted      Profile for Second Mouse   Email Second Mouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been using Common Worship: Daily Prayer, recently, and finding it very helpful.

So far I've just been substituting in my own Bible readings from something I was following anyway, which has worked ok, but I'd like to try it with the proper lectionary readings.

I found a massively huge database on the CofE website, with the whole year in an enorrrrrrrmous table - and I really struggled to make sense of it.

Does anyone know of an easier way of finding the information on the web. Is there a site anywhere that would just tell me todays readings, or this weeks readings, in a nice, simple manner, that wouldn't leave me utterly befuddled???

Or should I resort to buying a paper version, somewhere?

Posts: 1254 | From: West Yorkshire | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Did you check out all the links already provided on this thread, Second Mouse? I seem to remember that some of them went to "Today's Office" type of websites.
Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chapelhead:
Another thing that puzzles me, towards the end of Compline in CCP is the sentence

quote:
[Come with the dawning of the day
and make yourself known in the breaking of the bread]

Are the square brackets here an indication that this is only said in some circumstances - if one is expecting to partake of Communion the next day, perhaps? If so,what if a group of people are saying this and some will take Communion the next day?
That is what I (and at least one friend) have always presumed. On one occasion at college Chapel that sentence was used and said friend felt that this meant he had to make the effort to get to Mass the next day! In the case of a group, if I were leading, I would only use it if I knew that the `group' would be having a communion service the next day (so, on retreat where there was a daily celebration, on a Saturday night or the like). Saying it on my own, I would use it if I were planning to go; having said that, I don't use the CW version but the Modern and Mediaeval Music* version which doesn't have the versicle!

*Or whatever it's called. I can't find my copy atm.

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When leading Compline in Chapel, I've used the Compline versicle/response if the Mass is to be offered the next day, regardless of whether we're going to be there or not - that was the Chaplain's advice, and it seemed reasonable.

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

Second Mouse

Citizen of Grand Fenwick
# 2793

- Posted      Profile for Second Mouse   Email Second Mouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Did you check out all the links already provided on this thread, Second Mouse? I seem to remember that some of them went to "Today's Office" type of websites.

Some, but not all. I'll go back and have another look. Thanks.
Second Mouse

Citizen of Grand Fenwick
# 2793

Ok, I've had a thorough look now....

I found this page, which links to the Common Worship Daily Prayer services for today and tomorrow, complete with all the readings and other bits and pieces for the day in full. Very good and helpful.

I guess I'd still be interested if anyone knows somewhere where I could just find and print out the references for the upcoming readings, so I can do it away from the computer more easily.

(All this to avoid paying £3 for the little book with it all in [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] Maybe I'll just go and do that instead)

Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Second Mouse:
I guess I'd still be interested if anyone knows somewhere where I could just find and print out the references for the upcoming readings, so I can do it away from the computer more easily.

(All this to avoid paying £3 for the little book with it all in [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] Maybe I'll just go and do that instead)

That's one of the annoyances with Common Worship: the need to buy the separate lectionary. It should be available for free in many forms. [Mad]
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DitzySpike:
quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
Now, the full edition is currently available (used) from Alibris for a mere US$ 374.95. Just a tad too pricey for me. [Biased] If there's anything else "Dominician" around (or in the works), please let us (or me) know!

Found it here http://www.op.org/domcentral/life/chorbook.htm
Wrote to them but yet to get a reply [Frown]

I did (the email on the website is defunct, I tracked down the contact person):
quote:

These books are no longer available. Sorry.

Michael A Winkels, OP
Technology Director

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead*     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On a slight tangent (but within the thread subject area)....

At the back of my mind I have the idea that CofE priests are supposed to say Morning and Evening Prayer daily (whether they do or not is another matter), but I can't find a reason for me thinking this. Canon B11 suggest that they should be said in Parish Churches daily (with exceptions), but doesn't say who should say them.

Am I right in thinking that there is an "official" expectation that CofE Priests shold say MP and EP daily, and if so where is this stated?

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
At the back of my mind I have the idea that CofE priests are supposed to say Morning and Evening Prayer daily (whether they do or not is another matter), but I can't find a reason for me thinking this. Canon B11 suggest that they should be said in Parish Churches daily (with exceptions), but doesn't say who should say them.

In the BCP 1662, p. x, in the section "Concerning the Service of the Church"...

And all Priests and Deacons are to say daily the Morning and Evening Prayer either privately or openly, not being let by sickness, or some other urgent cause.
And the Curate that ministereth in every Parish-Church or Chapel, being at home, and not being otherwise reasonably hindered, shall say the same in the Parish-Church or Chapel where he ministereth, and shall cause a Bell to be tolled thereunto a convenient time before he begin, that the people may come to hear God's Word, and to pray with him.

Fermat
Shipmate
# 4894

- Posted      Profile for Fermat   Email Fermat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
On a slight tangent (but within the thread subject area)....

Am I right in thinking that there is an "official" expectation that CofE Priests shold say MP and EP daily, and if so where is this stated?

Canon C 24 (of priests having a cure of souls)
1. "Every priest having a cure of souls shall provide that, in the absence of reasonable hinderances, Morning and Evening Prayer daily and on appointed days the Litany shall be said in the church, or one of the churches, of which he is the minister."

But perhaps more relevant:

Canon C 26 (of the manner of life of ministers)
1. "Every bishop, priest and deacon is under obligation, not being let by sickness or some other urgent cause, to say the Morning snd Evening prayer, either privately or openly;..."

Hope that helps

Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

Thank you, both of you. [Smile]

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

DitzySpike
Shipmate
# 1540

- Posted      Profile for DitzySpike   Email DitzySpike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Knitter:
It's on my eBay watch list, and I would dearly love to have it -- for an insanely low price, which I know is not going to happen -- but I do have a copy, albeit not in new condition. So I probably won't bid, as I don't want to drive up the price. You're welcome. It would be very nice if someone from here were to win the auction and buy this fantastic breviary. I dearly wish they would reprint it!

Got the book (Prayer Book Office)! It's really quite good - enough variation for the seasons and festivals and a comfortable number of psalms in a day. I'm adapting some plainsong to a few of the antiphons for the fun of it.

Prayer Book Antiphonary

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

Cool link, Ditzyspike.

(What is that final "e o e e a e" cadence at the end of each setting?)

DitzySpike
Shipmate
# 1540

quote:
(What is that final "e o e e a e" cadence at the end of each setting?)

The vowels of the the ending of the glory be - 'be forever amen'. To cue the second half of the psalm tone.
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

Thanks!

Plainchant notation is suddenly beginning to click so that I can sightsing the simple stuff now. [Yipee]

MSHB
Shipmate
# 9228

- Posted      Profile for MSHB   Email MSHB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cheesy*:
I was wondering what offices other liturgically minded shipmates use, why and how.

I originally started with the (Anglican) Australian Prayer Book and Lectionary, many years ago. I followed this liturgy because I had an Anglican background, and because I had the book handy in my house. Also, I had found the Catholic M&EP to be somewhat distant and dry.

After attending a weekend retreat at a Benedictine monastery, where the seven daily hours were kept, I switched over to the (Catholic) Morning and Evening Prayer. The weekend had shown me that the "distance and dryness" was more a matter of approach. The AAPB was trying to be consciously edifying - a bit like a Bible Study tries to be. The M&EP was more contemplative - working below the surface rather than on the surface, so to speak (well, I know what I mean!).

Anyway, I pray MP and EP daily, and during Lent recently also NP.

Until reading this thread, I was the only (lay) person I know who did something crazy like pray the Office daily. It has been comforting to read that I am not alone in the world!

I find that praying the Office, too, can lead into more contemplative forms of prayer (i.e. the "Prayer of Quiet", as I understand it): where you have to put the prayer book aside and just "gaze at God". Anyway, my prayer life has led me to an interest in the Carmelites (T of Avila, T of Lisieux, and others) - a blend of liturgical and contemplative prayer. Also love the Desert Fathers, who were great pray-ers of the psalms.

Funny thing is, I was raised a Presbyterian, became an Anglican, and now attend a small independent lay fellowship with no clergy. I think the liturgical hours in my personal prayer life help to balance the highy non-liturgical and non-conformist group worship at my church. I can only take so much prayer that is subjective and ex tempore. As prayers, the psalms, etc have stood the test of more than 2000 years.

--------------------
MSHB: Member of the Shire Hobbit Brigade

Posts: 1522 | From: Dharawal Country | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ogre
Shipmate
# 4601

- Posted      Profile for Ogre   Author's homepage         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a previous correspondent correctly said, The vowels at the end of a psalm are in order to save valuable printing space and serve as [Votive] indicators of how to disperse the notes and syllables in the termination of the doxology, when it is sung in Latin. The words are; 'World without End, Amen' or in Latin "S ae c u l a s ae c u l o r u m, a m e n".

--------------------
Pete Ergo Religionem

['Therefore Seek a Way of Life']

Posts: 480 | From: West Midlands, UK | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Seeker963
Shipmate
# 2066

- Posted      Profile for Seeker963   Author's homepage   Email Seeker963   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just found a website for the Annual Lectionary for Common Worship although I have to admit that I've not investigated the information.

--------------------
"People waste so much of their lives on hate and fear." My friend JW-N: Chaplain and three-time cancer survivor. (Went to be with her Lord March 21, 2010. May she rest in peace and rise in glory.)

Posts: 4152 | From: Northeast Ohio | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

Another question for those of you who regularly say the offices privately; do you still say the offices privately if you have also (or will also) said/say them corporately? That is, if you are going to Morning Prayer in church do you also say MP on your own? And if you have been to Evensong or Compline do you still say EP and NP?

As someone who generally only attends Eucharistic services this hasn’t been a situation I have come across, but no doubt I will in time. Even after just a couple of months of saying the offices, it would seem odd not to say them on my own, but on the other hand saying one of the offices twice doesn’t seem entirely sensible.

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No. I either say the Office privately or corporately (with the latter always being preferable), but not both.

If I have been to a corporate service, and particularly want to say an Office, then I'll say prime, midday prayer or compline.

Thurible

--------------------

dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree with that. I might say Compline before going to bed if I've been to a corporate Evensong earlier, but it's usually an "either/or" case.

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
Another question for those of you who regularly say the offices privately; do you still say the offices privately if you have also (or will also) said/say them corporately? That is, if you are going to Morning Prayer in church do you also say MP on your own? And if you have been to Evensong or Compline do you still say EP and NP?

No...if I've prayed a particular office with others, I consider that more than sufficient, as it's the ideal. Would that I could get to my parish church twice a day to pray with our clergy, nuns, and fellow parishioners.
Amazing Grace*

Shipmate
# 4754

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace*   Email Amazing Grace*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
*bump*

Charlotte

Posts: 2594 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
Originally posted by Amazing Grace:
*bump*
Charlotte

Sorry, but what does that mean? [Confused]
TubaMirum
Shipmate
# 8282

- Posted      Profile for TubaMirum     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
She's just elevating the thread to the top of the list.

She could have written "Cincinnati" or "Baked Potato." But "bump" is sort of onomonopaeic, or descriptive. Or whatever.

She's "bumping" the thread to the top, so that people will read and comment on it again.

Posts: 4719 | From: Right Coast USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
StJerome
Shipmate
# 9276

- Posted      Profile for StJerome   Email StJerome   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As many of you will know the new Common Worship Daily Prayer is now avaliable. (Also on amazon at 30 % off!) This seems a little silly that the cofe is giving a 5 % discount to churches (for the 20 book box) but a big discount to amazon (must be huge if they can discount by 30%!). Just my 2p

Also, has anyone seen "The Manual of Anglo Catholic Devotion"? Had a quick read at Church House bookshop and it looks quite good - would feel guilty buying it though (since i'm supposed to be protestant!)

--------------------
Gloria Patri et Filio et Spiritui Sancto: Sicut erat in principio et nunc et semper et in saecula saeculorum. Amen

Posts: 264 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace*

Shipmate
# 4754

quote:
Originally posted by TubaMirum:
She's just elevating the thread to the top of the list.

She could have written "Cincinnati" or "Baked Potato." But "bump" is sort of onomonopaeic, or descriptive. Or whatever.

And is the customary term used on the Ship.

[tangent alert]

When I was a newbie, it puzzled me too. I looked for the UBB "bump" command or menu option until the light, as they say, dawned. [Hot and Hormonal]

[end tangent]

quote:
She's "bumping" the thread to the top, so that people will read and comment on it again.
... from the convenience of page 1 of the board [Big Grin] .

Charlotte

--------------------
.sig on vacation

The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by StJerome:
Also, has anyone seen "The Manual of Anglo Catholic Devotion"? Had a quick read at Church House bookshop and it looks quite good - would feel guilty buying it though (since i'm supposed to be protestant!)

Yes.

I started off using that at the end of 2000 (I bought it in December of that year, and was surprised to see that the publication date was 2001) [Confused]

It's good if you're just starting out with the office, as it operates on a very basic 4-week cycle, allowing you to familiarise yourself with the workings of daily prayer, but once you've "graduated", it really isn't adequate. You're better off with something more "hard-core" if you're already an office-prayer. I gave my copy away last month to someone I thought would benefit from oit, as it just sat on my bookshelf as a reference book.

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

It's a very useful reference book, though, with some beautiful prayers in.

Thurible

--------------------

Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
Originally posted by Back-to-Front:
You're better off with something more "hard-core" if you're already an office-prayer.

I'd be very interested in hearing what "hard-core" office-prayers use, as I fancy myself such but am quite undisciplined.

[fixed quote tags. Please use Preview Post!]

[ 02. May 2005, 18:20: Message edited by: Siegfried ]

Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

As someone who has prayed the Office for the last four years (which I suppose makes me an 'hardcore' office-pray-er), I use (depending on what time of year it is, and also what mood I'm in/which service I go to) the 1928 BCP, Common Worship: Daily Prayer, or the Divine Office. I suppose that I prefer a), c), b), in order of preference/"helpfulness".

Thurible

--------------------

Rusty John
Shipmate
# 9305

- Posted      Profile for Rusty John     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Those of you who use the "cute little black" two volume ECUSA Daily Office Book:

I see that they use the RSV for the lessons. Are the rest of the forms provided in Rite I language, or Rite II, or both?

Posts: 76 | From: Chicago | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace*

Shipmate
# 4754

The canticles come in both traditional and contemporary language format, as part of the respective offices.

The collects (a different section) are in traditional and contemporary format, too, just like they are in the BCP.

The Psalter and the Readings are in RSV only, although some traditional-language psalms are in MP/EP Rite I.

Does this answer your question?

Charlotte

--------------------
.sig on vacation

Rusty John
Shipmate
# 9305

- Posted      Profile for Rusty John     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes! Thanks very much.
Posts: 76 | From: Chicago | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
David Goode
Shipmate
# 9224

- Posted      Profile for David Goode     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'd be very interested in hearing what "hard-core" office-prayers use, as I fancy myself such but am quite undisciplined.

Monastic Diurnal for all hours. On really big feasts, I may also pray Matins from the Anglican Breviary, though I'm not as much of a stickler for doing that as I am for the sevenfold daily office from the Diurnal.

In the parish, we have Evensong from Common Worship followed by Benediction on Sundays, and Common Worship: Daily Prayer for MP and EP during the week. Midday prayers daily and EP on Saturdays are from the Franciscan book.

But I don't make to to church for the office very often except for E&B on Sundays, so it's almost always the Monastic Diurnal for me.

Dave

[ 04. May 2005, 06:47: Message edited by: David Goode ]

Posts: 654 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by David Goode:
In the parish, we have Evensong from Common Worship followed by Benediction on Sundays, and Common Worship: Daily Prayer for MP and EP during the week. Midday prayers daily and EP on Saturdays are from the Franciscan book.

Sunday Evensong is BCP not CW. Sunday morning MP is CCP (the Fransiscan book) too. EP on Saturday is followed by the Gospel for Sunday (I can't remember what the section in CCP is actually called though).

The offices do get a reasonable attendence four or five most evenings and more than that on Saturdays. There are a couple of people who are always there and some more erratic attenders (like me).

Carys

--------------------

Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

- Posted      Profile for Trisagion   Email Trisagion   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I use the Roman Breviary. I think that the familiarity, even the repetition, is a key part of the Daily Office. Chopping and changing for the sake of novelty or even to avoid a phase of boredom misses the point, ISTM.

--------------------
ceterum autem censeo tabula delenda esse

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Posted by St Jerome:
quote:
As many of you will know the new Common Worship Daily Prayer is now avaliable.
Has anybody got it / used it yet? I notice it's a few dozen pages longer than the draft version - does anyone know what changes have been made?

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
David Goode
Shipmate
# 9224

- Posted      Profile for David Goode     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Carys:
Sunday Evensong is BCP not CW.

It's Common Worship, p72ff, with numbers 1 and 8 of the permitted variations from p80, and 'Let us bless the Lord, etc' at the end as per the order beginning on p38.

After taking these variations into account, you'd be able to follow the service from the BCP, because the CW Sunday Evensong is almost exactly the same as the BCP Evensong.

Confusing, yes; pedantic, yes; but, as a regular server who stands next to the officiant, I can assure you he uses CW.

;-)

Dave

StJerome
Shipmate
# 9276

- Posted      Profile for StJerome   Email StJerome   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've seen it at Church House bookshop (near westminster abbey). Its also on sale at the Wesley Owen I went to as well.

It looks quite cool. You do need to have the lectionary booklet for the readings though. Theres morning, evening and night prayer stuff.

http://www.cofe.anglican.org/worship/dailyprayer/

--------------------
Gloria Patri et Filio et Spiritui Sancto: Sicut erat in principio et nunc et semper et in saecula saeculorum. Amen

Posts: 264 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
David Goode
Shipmate
# 9224

quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
Posted by St Jerome:
quote:
As many of you will know the new Common Worship Daily Prayer is now avaliable.
Has anybody got it / used it yet? I notice it's a few dozen pages longer than the draft version - does anyone know what changes have been made?
I haven't seen it yet, but a brief list of changes is at the Church House web site.

Dave

Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

quote:
Originally posted by David Goode:
quote:
Originally posted by Carys:
Sunday Evensong is BCP not CW.

It's Common Worship, p72ff, with numbers 1 and 8 of the permitted variations from p80, and 'Let us bless the Lord, etc' at the end as per the order beginning on p38.

After taking these variations into account, you'd be able to follow the service from the BCP, because the CW Sunday Evensong is almost exactly the same as the BCP Evensong.

Confusing, yes; pedantic, yes; but, as a regular server who stands next to the officiant, I can assure you he uses CW.

I had also observed the use of the CW by the celebrant, possibly because we use the CW collects and so one volume is easier to deal with, however, just saying it is CW is misleading as that would imply (or at least I would infer) that that meant the use of 'An Order for Evening Prayer on Sunday', that is certainly what I would mean by CW Sunday Evensong. This is quite different; I know as I go to a service which uses that probably 18 times a year as that is what we use in Chapel (at the moment at least). AIUI, CW includes the BCP offices and Communion (which is what Order 2 is, although it is BCP as is usually done which is not necessarily identical with how it appears in the BCP!) for ease so that one volume suffices (for Sunday at least). It is called BCP though in CW. Thus I think it is a lot clearer to say we use BCP Evensong on Sunday even though the celebrant uses CW for the collects. If we're going by the book most used, it would be most accurage to say it's from The Manual of Plainsong!

Carys

--------------------

dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mimbling about in SPCK on Saturday, I came across Angela Ashwin's "Woven Into Prayer", described as a "flexible office". Not having enough sight to do a thorough examination, I wasn't able to glean much about the material in it - has anyone else encountered/prayed with/hated/used to steady a wobbly table, this book?

--------------------
"He was wrong in the long run, but then, who isn't?" - Tony Judt

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

"Mimbling"?

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  19  20  21 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016