homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: The political junkie POTUS prediction thread (Page 105)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  102  103  104  105  106  107  108  109  110  111 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: The political junkie POTUS prediction thread
Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

- Posted      Profile for Triple Tiara   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What a nasty boorish crowd at McCain's speech - and indeed, a gracious speech by McCain.

Congrats USA!

--------------------
I'm a Roman. You may call me Caligula.

Posts: 5905 | From: London, England | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think the American people are best at judging competence. If Obama and the Democrats fuck up, the Americans should throw them out in four years. The reason McCain and the Republicans lost is simple. They fucked up the economy and America's foreign policy.

Competence, not ideology, at the end, should be the judge of elections.

Congratulations to my American brothers and sisters. I'll sleep well tonight.

[ 05. November 2008, 03:30: Message edited by: Anglican_Brat ]

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We voted by mail. We vote at the kitchen table, with all the papers and state-published election pamphlets spread out before us, arguing each candidate and each proposition (etc) back and forth, and the kids are welcome to listen in if they wish (and chirp in). I wouldn't have it any other way.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post 
If that McCain had shown up during the campaign, it would have been a helluva lot closer. So right now, I'm kinda feeling like he can go fuck himself.

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dee.
Ship's Theological Acrobat
# 5681

- Posted      Profile for Dee.   Email Dee.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congratulations US,

Never thought I would see it, this wee kiwi is all teary and goosebumpy. McCains Speech was really gracious, full credit to him for that.

No more Bush

Thank you God

--------------------
Jesus - nice bloke, bit religious

Posts: 2679 | From: Under Downunder | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Spouse

Ship's Pedant
# 3353

- Posted      Profile for Mr. Spouse   Email Mr. Spouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by FreeJack:
The time zone issue is not really a factor in single time zone British election coverage.

It isn't a factor at all in the UK!

As my first US election witnessed first hand, it is a bit weird though to watch the results coming through and the winner declared by 8.30 in the evening here in California.

--------------------
Try to have a thought of your own, thinking is so important. - Blackadder

Posts: 1814 | From: Here, there & everywhere | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
FreeJack
Shipmate
# 10612

- Posted      Profile for FreeJack   Email FreeJack   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
From the coverage here, the impression given is that McCain was still thought to be the best candidate that the Republicans had, with the almost impossible task of keeping the right-wing conservatives energised without losing his moderate / maverick independent supporters. In the end, looks like he kept the conservatives and lost the independents. If he had been more of his own man and gone for the independents what would have been the consequences of losing the right-wing conservatives?
Hedgerow Priest
Shipmate
# 13905

- Posted      Profile for Hedgerow Priest   Email Hedgerow Priest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Yipee] [Yipee] RESULT!!!! [Yipee] [Yipee]

McCain:Nice speech mate [Overused]

--------------------
"Where is the Love"
Saint Fergy de Pea

Posts: 362 | From: London | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Bede's American Successor

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

- Posted      Profile for The Bede's American Successor   Author's homepage   Email The Bede's American Successor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
We voted by mail. We vote at the kitchen table, with all the papers and state-published election pamphlets spread out before us, arguing each candidate and each proposition (etc) back and forth, and the kids are welcome to listen in if they wish (and chirp in). I wouldn't have it any other way.

I know.

Those people who still vote like they are going to an outhouse don't know what they are missing. You quickly get over waiting in line at the polling place.

And, vote by mail increases turnout.

This actually gives our current governor problems in her re-election race. The two largest counties in Washington still has polling places (with absentee optional for all). King and Pierce Counties are two of the stronger Democratic counties in the state, but have lower percentage turnout.

Last year Governor Gregoire (D) won by about 150 total votes statewide. This was a record for being close.

You think she would have found the money in the state budget to pay Pierce and King to go all vote-by-mail for this year, just in case. [Biased]

--------------------
This was the iniquity of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride of wealth and food in plenty, comfort and ease, and yet she never helped the poor and the wretched.

—Ezekiel 16.49

Posts: 6079 | From: The banks of Possession Sound | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by FreeJack:
If he had been more of his own man and gone for the independents what would have been the consequences of losing the right-wing conservatives?

He wouldn't have. There is no way on God's green earth that the Republican base would have voted for a black man whose middle name is Hussein and whose father was a foreign national from Africa (!!). McCain could have literally told the Republican base to go fuck itself with a rusted tire iron and they would have voted for him anyway, because who else did they have? The very most that would have happened is that some would have stayed home and not voted at all, but really, let a black man win?

--------------------

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm not going to say the Democrats have power wrapped up for a generation, but I think it's safe to predict that the Republican coalition is going to explode in midair and fall screeching to the earth with this crushing loss. My prediction, based on nothing: the libertarians will head for a third party while religious conservatives will run a line of unelectable crackpots. Here's hoping anyway....

Zach

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jerry Boam
Shipmate
# 4551

- Posted      Profile for Jerry Boam   Email Jerry Boam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank God.

Tears of joy flowing here.

--------------------
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.

Posts: 2165 | From: Miskatonic University | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
OMG. President Barack Hussein Obama II. It's still sinking in.

Can't wait for the acceptance speech in Chicago.

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Yipee] [Axe murder] [Yipee] [Axe murder] [Yipee] [Axe murder] [Yipee]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

- Posted      Profile for The Bede's American Successor   Author's homepage   Email The Bede's American Successor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Erin:
If that McCain had shown up during the campaign, it would have been a helluva lot closer. So right now, I'm kinda feeling like he can go fuck himself.

But that McCain wouldn't excite the Republican base, so they would have stayed home.

The problem with being a maverick.

He was damned if you do, and damned if you don't. This is why you don't let non-party people help choose your candidate.

--------------------
This was the iniquity of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride of wealth and food in plenty, comfort and ease, and yet she never helped the poor and the wretched.

—Ezekiel 16.49

Posts: 6079 | From: The banks of Possession Sound | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
OK, irt's starting to sink in a little now.

Wish I could stay up and celebrate with everyone (Hi Jerry B, btw, long time no see) but I have to get to bed.

*sigh of deep satisfaction*

Life is good.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congratulations America. I hope you can support your new President through every threat ahead, because it sure ain't gonna be plain sailing. But my heart is so glad at this choice, and it will be interesting to see how Obama continues to empower all those at grass roots level who really care what happens next. If he can raise funds for his own campaign from millions of ordinary Americans - many of who never bothered to vote before; then I am sure he can tackle your financial crisis with the same pragmatism. I believe you have elected the right visionary for the job. [Votive] ascending.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
talexa
Shipmate
# 11292

- Posted      Profile for talexa   Email talexa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
[Yipee] [Axe murder] [Yipee] [Axe murder] [Yipee] [Axe murder] [Yipee]

Ditto!

--------------------
Be the change you wish to see in the world.

-M.K. Gandhi

Posts: 52 | From: Duluth, GA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
RadicalWhig
Shipmate
# 13190

- Posted      Profile for RadicalWhig   Author's homepage   Email RadicalWhig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've been checking the Arab media. "Barack Hussein Obama" looks good in Arabic. Maybe there is a chance for America to win back some friends and supporters in the hot and sandy parts of the world.

--------------------
Radical Whiggery for Beginners: "Trampling on the Common Prayer Book, talking against the Scriptures, commending Commonwealths, justifying the murder of King Charles I, railing against priests in general." (Sir Arthur Charlett on John Toland, 1695)

Posts: 3193 | From: Scotland | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I can decide whether to cry or howl or laugh or run around in circles until I puke.

I'm sorta doing all three.

[Yipee] [Tear]

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
ChaliceGirl
Shipmate
# 13656

- Posted      Profile for ChaliceGirl   Email ChaliceGirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Holy Electoral Vote Count Batman!

Never did I think Obama would win by this much!

Party at my house: Jan 21, 2009!
Reason: To celebrate Obama [Big Grin] coming in, and to kiss Dubya's butt goodbye! [Yipee]

--------------------
The Episcopal Church Welcomed Me.

"Welcome home." ++Katharine Jefferts Schori to me on 29Mar2009.
My KJS fansite & chicksinpointyhats

Posts: 710 | From: Philadelphia, PA, USA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
can't decide.

dangit.

--------------------

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

and here he comes.

crying it is.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ooooh "gay and straight" --- in the victory speech. Wooohoooo!

--------------------

ChaliceGirl
Shipmate
# 13656

- Posted      Profile for ChaliceGirl   Email ChaliceGirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A President who is only 8 years older than I. Holy cow!

The Phillies win the World Series and now this! I think Hell just froze over! [Big Grin]

--------------------
The Episcopal Church Welcomed Me.

"Welcome home." ++Katharine Jefferts Schori to me on 29Mar2009.
My KJS fansite & chicksinpointyhats

Posts: 710 | From: Philadelphia, PA, USA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

woot! all that and a new puppy!

(that man has class! [Big Grin] )

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

What African American person, standing at a "blacks only" drinking fountain in 1964, would believe that there was a little black boy alive who would become president? I really do feel proud of this great country of ours.

--------------------

St. Stephen the Stoned
Shipmate
# 9841

- Posted      Profile for St. Stephen the Stoned   Author's homepage   Email St. Stephen the Stoned   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
New puppy for White House!

Yippeeeeee!

--------------------
Do you want to see Jesus or don't yer? Well shurrup then!

Posts: 518 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
RadicalWhig
Shipmate
# 13190

- Posted      Profile for RadicalWhig   Author's homepage   Email RadicalWhig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I haven't felt this good about the future of the world since Alex Salmond was elected as First Minister of Scotland in 2007.

[Yipee]

--------------------
Radical Whiggery for Beginners: "Trampling on the Common Prayer Book, talking against the Scriptures, commending Commonwealths, justifying the murder of King Charles I, railing against priests in general." (Sir Arthur Charlett on John Toland, 1695)

Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
...a measured and heartfelt address - preach it Barack.

--------------------

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

quote:
What African American person, standing at a "blacks only" drinking fountain in 1964, would believe that there was a little black boy alive who would become president? I really do feel proud of this great country of ours.

Commentators mentioned that when BHO was born (a number of years after I was born [Eek!] ), his parents marriage was illegal in a large number of states.

--------------------

—Ezekiel 16.49

Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

- Posted      Profile for Triple Tiara   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Getting a bit Martin Luther King there!

--------------------

Orb

Eye eye Cap'n!
# 3256

- Posted      Profile for Orb   Author's homepage   Email Orb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
He's just made a big promise. But if you don't believe it, I guess you leave the country.

I think this is bigger than the United States putting a man on the moon. Who's with me?

--------------------
“You cannot buy the revolution. You cannot make the revolution. You can only be the revolution. It is in your spirit, or it is nowhere.” Ursula K. Le Guin, The Dispossessed

Posts: 5032 | From: Easton, Bristol | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
St. Stephen the Stoned
Shipmate
# 9841

- Posted      Profile for St. Stephen the Stoned   Author's homepage   Email St. Stephen the Stoned   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, a good speech from McCain. I even felt it was sincere. I really believe it was. And an excellent speech from Obama (still going on as I write). No boos in his audience though.

Well done America, and thank you.

This is not a time for cynecism, (even if I could spell it!). This is a time for GIN!

--------------------

RadicalWhig
Shipmate
# 13190

I really wish I didn't have to get up and go to work in a few hours time, because it is time for a strong celebratory drink.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

he makes a damn good preacher!

--------------------

The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank God! Thank God, Obama won! Oh, hallelujah! Oh, Lordy day, I may have to celebrate tomorrow with hundreds of my closest friends! Yippeeeeeeeeeeee! [Big Grin]

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

yep. I'm blubbering.

this is so damaging to my cynical chick reputation.

I'd just about given up on this country. OMG things might just bve okay.

--------------------

Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

Indeed MT!

And it certainly worked to stir up some hope across the world, not just in the US!

--------------------

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

quote:
he makes a damn good preacher!

Name one African-American politician in the US that wouldn't?

One. That's all I ask.

Obama just is a bit more polished, probably based upon education.

(Many of them are also licensed/ordained preachers. Take the Executive of King County, Washington, for example.)

--------------------

—Ezekiel 16.49

Orb

Eye eye Cap'n!
# 3256

- Posted      Profile for Orb   Author's homepage   Email Orb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's the "finger pressed to the screen" that broke me...

Not the full-blown waterworks though. Maybe when he gets inaugurated!

--------------------
“You cannot buy the revolution. You cannot make the revolution. You can only be the revolution. It is in your spirit, or it is nowhere.” Ursula K. Le Guin, The Dispossessed

Posts: 5032 | From: Easton, Bristol | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by BillyPilgrim:
Yes, a good speech from McCain. I even felt it was sincere. I really believe it was. And an excellent speech from Obama (still going on as I write). No boos in his audience though.

Well done America, and thank you.

This is not a time for cynecism, (even if I could spell it!). This is a time for GIN!

Or, for those of us who don't drink... hot chocolate?!
[Biased]

--------------------

Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

That was easily the best Presidential election acceptance speech in history. Short, eloquent, inspirational and to-the-point. Now - if they would just tone down the Lord of the Rings soundtrack. Gack.

--------------------

The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

quote:
Originally posted by Orb:
It's the "finger pressed to the screen" that broke me...

Not the full-blown waterworks though. Maybe when he gets inaugurated!

Yeah, during Obama's speech I could feel the tears working their way up my throat but I held fast and didn't start crying. The Inauguration though... I KNOW I'm going to dissolve in a puddle of tears and sobbing.

--------------------

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

quote:
Originally posted by Gort:
That was easily the best Presidential election acceptance speech in history. Short, eloquent, inspirational and to-the-point. Now - if they would just tone down the Lord of the Rings soundtrack. Gack.

What LOTR soundtrack?

(I'm listening to KPLU/NPR.)

--------------------

—Ezekiel 16.49

The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

quote:

THAT was sooooooo cool!! I did think to myself that that would no doubt inflame the haters even more, though.
[Frown]

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

quote:
Originally posted by Paddy O'Furniture:
I did think to myself that that would no doubt inflame the haters even more, though.
[Frown]

fuck'em.

--------------------

Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

You people are made of STONE, I swear to God, I have been crying since MSNBC called it.

I feel sorry for Alaska, though, because Palin looked pissed.

--------------------

St. Stephen the Stoned
Shipmate
# 9841

quote:
Originally posted by Paddy O'Furniture:
quote:

THAT was sooooooo cool!! I did think to myself that that would no doubt inflame the haters even more, though.
[Frown]

This ******-lovin' commie faggot is SOOOOOO happy!

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  102  103  104  105  106  107  108  109  110  111 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016