homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: The political junkie POTUS prediction thread (Page 88)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  85  86  87  88  89  90  91  ...  109  110  111 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: The political junkie POTUS prediction thread
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I suspect that "corporate libertarian" means "corporations should be able to do whatever the heck they want, with little or no regulation".

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hiro's Leap

Shipmate
# 12470

- Posted      Profile for Hiro's Leap   Email Hiro's Leap   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
From Wikipedia:
quote:
The Economist generally supports free markets, globalisation, and free immigration, has been described as neo-liberal. It also supports social liberalism, including legalised drugs and prostitution. [...]
The Economist has endorsed both the Labour Party and the Conservative Party in recent British elections, and both Republican and Democratic candidates in the United States.

Here's a more comprehensive list of their editorial stances. It's interesting reading but they still represent a particular ideological viewpoint, i.e. economic liberalism, with a good dose of social liberalism and a few articles that go against type.

[ 14. October 2008, 21:49: Message edited by: Hiro's Leap ]

Posts: 3418 | From: UK, OK | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
agrgurich
Shipmate
# 5724

- Posted      Profile for agrgurich   Email agrgurich   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
quote:
Originally posted by agrgurich:
]Even those of us who choose mot to support St. Barack can read & comprehend whole sentences,
Insulting people who disagree with you may make feel superior, but does your cause no good.

I agree. I asked you a while back - why do you think terrorists are attacking the USA ?
When did I say terrorists were attacking the USA?
Do you have me confused with someone else? [Confused]

--------------------
Life is a comedy to those who think & a tragedy to those who feel.-Horace Walpole

AJG

Posts: 4478 | From: Michigan's Copper Country | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Even those of us who choose mot to support St. Barack can read & comprehend whole sentences,
Insulting people who disagree with you may make feel superior, but does your cause no good.

Do you think it does your cause good to insult supporters of Obama by calling him "St. Barack"?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Atheist
Arrogant Bastard
# 12067

- Posted      Profile for The Atheist   Author's homepage   Email The Atheist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is there much hand-wringing going on that the Reps picked the wrong bloke?

They'd be a much more attractive ticket with Mitt Romney up front right now.

Posts: 2044 | From: Auckland | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
They'd be looking a whole lot better with anyone besides Sleaze-girl in the number two spot. I mean, come on, even her local newspaper has some pretty harsh things to say about her:

Anchorage Daily News Calls Palin a Big "Orwellian" Liar

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

- Posted      Profile for Alogon   Email Alogon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The golf-course Republicans, and probably the foreign-policy paranoids, would love Romney, but as a Mormon he would not go down much better with the religious right than McCain (and for once, I agree with the religious right).

I also read months ago that Romney was the Democratic strategists' dream Republican candidate because he was such an inept campaigner who tended to express himself abrasively. He seems to have excellent managerial skills, and I wouldn't mind seeing him in certain cabinet posts of any administration, but as top dog-- never.

--------------------
Patriarchy (n.): A belief in original sin unaccompanied by a belief in God.

Posts: 7808 | From: West Chester PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
quote:
]Even those of us who choose mot to support St. Barack can read & comprehend whole sentences,

I agree. I asked you a while back - why do you think terrorists are attacking the USA ?
When did I say terrorists were attacking the USA?
Do you have me confused with someone else? [Confused]

I think it was you who was saying that you feel that McCain has the best hope of keeping America safe - on that basis I was wondering what you think the causes of the current increased threats to the USA are. (America certainly is being attacked by terrorists, just as the UK is, but they are just not being especially successful on home territory at the moment.)

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

- Posted      Profile for Alogon   Email Alogon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
From what I hear, ever since the Democratic convention, Hillary has been an awfully good girl, campaigning vigorously for Obama-Biden. If he is elected, how is he going to repay her? High cabinet post (Attorney General, maybe)? Supreme Court? Even though she is probably very useful for the cause as a senator, clearly she wants to move on. Any speculations? I think Justice Hillary Clinton would be a great idea provided that she would accept it. Life appointment in a position badly in need of someone with her views, and she wouldn't need to work with Obama on a day-to-day basis (since they don't seem to get along too well personally).

--------------------

agrgurich
Shipmate
# 5724

- Posted      Profile for agrgurich   Email agrgurich   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
Even those of us who choose mot to support St. Barack can read & comprehend whole sentences,

Do you think it does your cause good to insult supporters of Obama by calling him "St. Barack"?
Since when is calling someone a saint an insult? [Snigger]

In any case, I'm making fun of some of the over-the-top devotion of some of Obama's fans. I saw the same thing with JFK. I didn't like it then & don't like in now. All of you say that McCain is a sure loser, so why should my opinion of Obama matter to you?

--------------------
Life is a comedy to those who think & a tragedy to those who feel.-Horace Walpole

AJG

Posts: 4478 | From: Michigan's Copper Country | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zwingli
Shipmate
# 4438

- Posted      Profile for Zwingli   Email Zwingli   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
I suspect that "corporate libertarian" means "corporations should be able to do whatever the heck they want, with little or no regulation".

Which is absolutely nothing like what the Economist believes, and not what even most free market economists advocate, so hopefully Josephine was not that misguided.
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
All of you say that McCain is a sure loser, so why should my opinion of Obama matter to you?

I wasn't talking about your opinion of Obama, but about your opinion of people who support Obama. And if you can't take what you dish out, you should think twice about dishing it out.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zwingli:
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:

Which is absolutely nothing like what the Economist believes, and not what even most free market economists advocate, so hopefully Josephine was not that misguided.
Hey, Zwingli, I'll post an explanation of corporate libertarianism on my thread of questions for libertarians and free market types.

It's quite possible that I've misunderstood what the Economist believes, or that I've misunderstood free-market economics entirely -- as you'll note from my OP on the other thread, I'm really quite ignorant of economics and finance. I'm learning, though, and if you want to contribute to my education, I'd be happy to listen to what you have to say.

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by trouty:
I think you are missing my point. I am saying that the Economist bases its arguments on evidence, facts and reason, not on partisan emotion.

Yes, I understand that. What you're missing is that basing arguments on evidence, facts and reason and having particular values, in this case a preference for free-market capitalism, are not mutually exclusive. The Economist has basic premises rooted in values. Nothing wrong with that, either, but don't kid yourself that they don't have a point of view.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
further on what Ruth said - even the most vetted, most tightly defined news source has it's biases. some of them are perfectly obvious. I feel no shame as a journalist advocating for the first ammendment, for instance.

if I were to try and be "objective" on that, I'd undercut my own reason for getting up in the morning.

Most large news organizations also spend a lot of time focusing on the needs and wants of their "demographic". the Economist, like npr, probably focuses their efforts towards the interests of highly educated, property owning, white collar people focused on international affairs. it only makes sense. but it does mean that they are operating under a bias. on purpose.

I've been to many an NPR event where they talk about remembering the demographic, and it drives me batshit crazy. in most of the US (no doubt more than 90% of npr listeners, I'll grant you) focusing on the highly educated white collar exec is fine.

but in some places, the NPR demographic is every man, woman, and child in the town. many of whom might not have english as a first language and good chance dont have any education and may or may not be literate.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Orb

Eye eye Cap'n!
# 3256

- Posted      Profile for Orb   Author's homepage   Email Orb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Atheist:
They'd be a much more attractive ticket with Mitt Romney up front right now.

Except of course for the simple truth that, to use a British phrase, he is a git.

McCain was always their man. And, it seems, he was always destined to lose.

--------------------
“You cannot buy the revolution. You cannot make the revolution. You can only be the revolution. It is in your spirit, or it is nowhere.” Ursula K. Le Guin, The Dispossessed

Posts: 5032 | From: Easton, Bristol | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Hiro's Leap

Shipmate
# 12470

- Posted      Profile for Hiro's Leap   Email Hiro's Leap   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Call me superstitious, but this "he was always destined to lose" stuff seems like awfully bad mojo.
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hiro's Leap:
Call me superstitious, but this "he was always destined to lose" stuff seems like awfully bad mojo.

That's not superstition, that's learning a lesson from history. I remember John Major was "destined to lose" in 1992. [Frown]

[ 15. October 2008, 08:58: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hiro's Leap

Shipmate
# 12470

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
I remember John Major was "destined to lose" in 1992. [Frown]

Me too. It's not just about back luck: too much gloating before the results are in can look pretty ugly to all those undecided voters. IMO 'cautious optimism' is wise, unless you're very sure of results (e.g. you're Robert Mugabe).
tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

- Posted      Profile for tclune   Email tclune   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by tclune:
quote:
Originally posted by Choirboy:
This may mean nothing to you, but I am a life-long Red Sox fan. I have seen defeat snatched from the jaws of victory far too many times to count.

They're one game down. Lighten up!

--Tom Clune

OK, Now you can start to panic...

--Tom Clune

--------------------
This space left blank intentionally.

Posts: 8013 | From: Western MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
FreeJack
Shipmate
# 10612

- Posted      Profile for FreeJack   Email FreeJack   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
I feel no shame as a journalist advocating for the first ammendment, for instance.

Zorro
Shipmate
# 9156

- Posted      Profile for Zorro   Author's homepage   Email Zorro   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
That's not superstition, that's learning a lesson from history. I remember John Major was "destined to lose" in 1992.
That was in the UK though Sioni, this is the US. The Major thing was really down to 2 things-Labour's complacency in holding their victory Rally in Manchester (which the Obama camp could do admittedly) and the Sun's infamous headline (which wouldn't happen in the US-The only Media outlet with enough clout to swing an election that badly would probably be Fox News and I'd be pretty stunned if they went Dem in the next 3 weeks [Biased] )

It's true, they might still lose this-but it'd take a lot of work. The bi-party system in the states makes it less likely that you'd get that big a swing even if Obama lost the plot and had a victory rally before time.

Zorro.

--------------------
It is so hard to believe, because it is so hard to obey. Soren Kierkegaard
Well, churches really should be like sluts; take everyone no matter who they are or whether they can pay. Spiffy da wondersheep

Posts: 2568 | From: Baja California (actually the UK but that's where my fans know me from) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orb:

In the dim dark past even McCain has told jokes about how no one from Arizona can ever become President (Goldwater, Udall...). So maybe it IS his destiny to lose. One can always hope.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Hiro's Leap

Shipmate
# 12470

quote:
Originally posted by Zorro:
It's true, they might still lose this-but it'd take a lot of work.

Tell you what - I'll believe it's all sewn up when New Yorker converts. [Paranoid]
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

For some reason, I keep hearing a country song start in my head with these words.

Like Goldwater back in the day, the man always knew his place in the shade...

Always destined to lose, though never one to forget to make a move...

[eta: pls forgive me.]

[ 15. October 2008, 14:18: Message edited by: duchess ]

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by duchess:
Like Goldwater back in the day, the man always knew his place in the shade...

That almost makes me tear up: the guy was fighting the fight knowing he was destined to fail, against statism.

[Votive]

Posts: 4236 | From: Bentonville | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
New Yorker
Shipmate
# 9898

- Posted      Profile for New Yorker   Email New Yorker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Tell you what - I'll believe it's all sewn up when New Yorker converts. [Paranoid]

Hey, I'm still fighting the good fight for God and country! Don't count me out just yet!
Posts: 3193 | From: New York City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Clint Boggis
Shipmate
# 633

- Posted      Profile for Clint Boggis   Author's homepage   Email Clint Boggis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by New Yorker:
quote:

Hey, I'm still fighting the good fight for God and country!
So you have converted, yes?

Posts: 1505 | From: south coast | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
agrgurich
Shipmate
# 5724

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
All of you say that McCain is a sure loser, so why should my opinion of Obama matter to you?

I wasn't talking about your opinion of Obama, but about your opinion of people who support Obama. And if you can't take what you dish out, you should think twice about dishing it out.
It seems to me that it's the Obama Brigade that's
overly sensitive. Any criticism of Sen. Obama & his supporters is followed by howls of anguish that anyone should would dare question the Man Of Destiny or his acolytes.

Go ahead, whack me again. [Killing me]

--------------------

AJG

Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post 
You know, I keep hearing about how Obama is seen as the second coming by his followers, but I've only ever seen the accusation from desperate Republicans. Can you point me to where Obama's supporters are actually engaging in this behavior?

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
ToujoursDan

Ship's prole
# 10578

- Posted      Profile for ToujoursDan   Email ToujoursDan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Has Obama worship really exceeded the Reagan worship of the past 20 years by the right?

--------------------
"Many people say I embarrass them with my humility" - Archbishop Peter Akinola
Facebook link: http://www.facebook.com/toujoursdan

Posts: 3734 | From: NYC | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Foolhearty
Shipmate
# 6196

- Posted      Profile for Foolhearty   Email Foolhearty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Nonsense. Destiny has nothing to do with it. If McCain loses (as I devoutly hope), it will be because he tossed this election overboard.

He postponed and shortened his party's convention, though possibly for good reasons. But it didn't help him any.

He chose a dimwit as his running mate.

He scurried off to "advise" the Economics Guys in Washington when Wall Street went wonky, then basically did nothing.

He cancelled, then uncancelled, his debate with Obama.

He has pretty consistently followed Obama's policy leads and campaign strategies whenever he's altered campaign content, instead of striking out in "maverick" directions of his own.

Fer cryin' out loud, if McCain is reduced to either (A) running around squawking like Chicken Little or (B) accepting/following Obama's lead on policy issues and campaign strategies, how on earth can he hope to come off as leaderly and presidential?

If Obama wins, it will be because Obama's pulled a great organization and a lot of money together, and it's also because McCain seems determined to throw the election to him.

Posts: 2301 | From: Upper right-hand corner | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
agrgurich
Shipmate
# 5724

quote:
Originally posted by Erin:
You know, I keep hearing about how Obama is seen as the second coming by his followers, but I've only ever seen the accusation from desperate Republicans. Can you point me to where Obama's supporters are actually engaging in this behavior?

Here are two articles for you, one left-wing, one right wing.

http://www.motherjones.com/mojoblog/archives/2008/02/7209_barack_obamas_m.html

http://www.americanthinker.com/2008/03/obamas_messiah_shtick.html

Just for laughs:

http://newsweek.washingtonpost.com/onfaith/undergod/2008/02/obama_the_messiah.html

It amuses me to razz The Great OZ & his follwers & I intend to continue.

--------------------

AJG

Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

quote:
Any criticism of Sen. Obama & his supporters is followed by howls of anguish that anyone should would dare question the Man Of Destiny or his acolytes.

I'm praying that any howls of anguish will soon be replaced by the howls of hilarity that should greet such concocations. I'm ready to listen to any criticisms of Barack Obama from his detractors that make some sense. The only one I've heard that makes or once made sense is that he is short on executive experience. This was true a year ago, anyway; since then, however, he has proven able to assemble a formidable campaign organization and to stay in the saddle on top of it (something that it seems McCain hasn't managed). So I'm not too impressed anymore even by that caveat.

I can well imagine how unenviable a job it is finding holes to poke in a man whose personal character is as squeaky-clean as Barack Obama's; but when one attempts to tar him with events that occurred when he was eight years old and living in Indonesia-- gimme a break.

Of late, the ranks of "his acolytes" have been augmented by seniors in Florida who have seen their retirement funds go even farther south than they did. Some of them also weren't too flattered when Ms. Palin skipped right over them in her recent tour of the State, obviously taking them all for granted.

--------------------

RuthW

# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

This writer is full of shit. He says Obama has a Messiah complex based on section of a speech in which Obama doesn't even use the words "I" and "me." He doesn't ask people to follow him.

quote:
And this too is bullshit. People cited in that article are claiming that Obama is a great leader. Only time will tell, but while we're waiting for the history to be written, it would be a good idea for you and some green-eyed bloggers to learn the difference between "messiah" and "leader."

quote:
Seriously? In Purgatory? If so, prepare to be called to Hell.
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Any chance of agriguich or new yorker telling me why they believe The USA has been subject to terrorist attack over the past decade ?

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
quote:

This writer is full of shit. He says Obama has a Messiah complex based on section of a speech in which Obama doesn't even use the words "I" and "me." He doesn't ask people to follow him.

I can't help adding that if he does want to be seen as a messiah (which I doubt), the present administration could hardly have done a better job of handing the opportunity to him on a plate.
I mean, look at us. We're fighting two wars and losing at least one of them. The rest of the world hates us. The stock market has crashed. People are losing their jobs and being kicked out of their homes. The economy is such that lifelong true-blue free marketeers have turned on a dime and suddenly become socialists, all since a month ago. The government tries to quell worries about credit and liquidity with massive bailouts and transfers on such a scale as only to replace these worries with worries about the unprecedented national deficit and debt. Everyone is afraid to say the D word out loud but everyone is whispering it...
And a candidate has "a messiah complex" for saying that we need change? [Killing me]

Jesus Christ could sort out this mess if He returned to earth, but I don't place that much faith in anyone else. It would be a relief just to have someone give it his best shot whose heart is in the right place, and who could at least keep things from getting still worse any faster than necessary. If Obama is elected, I'd like to send him a copy of the Meditations of Marcus Aurelius for bedtime reading, who had a similarly grim lot in presiding over the crumbling Roman Empire. If he proves to that kind of figure, which I don't think is unrealistic, it will be miraculous enough.

--------------------

trouty
Shipmate
# 13497

- Posted      Profile for trouty   Email trouty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
For the Americans here - Ronald Reagan won by a big majority in 1984 and Bill clinton won comfortably in 1996. On both occasions it was an incumbent being massively endorsed. Did the elections seem as though they were going to be so one-sided at the time? Did the media try to make them seem more competitive than they actually were?
Posts: 205 | From: Somewhere out there | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
agrgurich
Shipmate
# 5724

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
quote:

quote:
And this too is bullshit. People cited in that article are claiming that Obama is a great leader. Only time will tell, but while we're waiting for the history to be written, it would be a good idea for you and some green-eyed bloggers to learn the difference between "messiah" and "leader."

quote:
Seriously? In Purgatory? If so, prepare to be called to Hell.

McCain may be attacted here, but Obama can not even be joked about? No wonder there are so few Obama opponents in this thread.

--------------------

AJG

agrgurich
Shipmate
# 5724

quote:
Originally posted by trouty:
For the Americans here - Ronald Reagan won by a big majority in 1984 and Bill clinton won comfortably in 1996. On both occasions it was an incumbent being massively endorsed. Did the elections seem as though they were going to be so one-sided at the time? Did the media try to make them seem more competitive than they actually were?

By the end of the campaigns, it was pretty clear what the result was likely to be. I don't recall the media doing what you suggest, but they probably did.

--------------------

AJG

agrgurich
Shipmate
# 5724

quote:
Any chance of agriguich or new yorker telling me why they believe The USA has been subject to terrorist attack over the past decade ?

No.

--------------------

AJG

RuthW

# 13

quote:
McCain may be attacted here, but Obama can not even be joked about?

Joke about him, attack him, I don't care. But razzing his opponents I will consider personal attack and, per the Ship's 10 commandments, will take to Hell.
TraineeChristian
Shipmate
# 12972

- Posted      Profile for TraineeChristian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
/tangent alert/

Please could someone explain the term "hockey mom" to this confused brit? I've looked it up on wiki but I'm not sure I get it. Is it derogatory??

/end tangent/

Posts: 274 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Erin:

How about inspirational words from The One Himself?
quote:
"... a light will shine through that window, a beam of light will come down upon you, you will experience an epiphany ... and you will suddenly realize that you must go to the polls and vote for Obama" - Barack Obama - Lebanon, New Hampshire. January 7, 2008.
quote:
...generations from now, we will be able to look back and tell our children that this was the moment when we began to provide care for the sick and good jobs to the jobless; this was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal; this was the moment when we ended a war and secured our nation and restored our image as the last, best hope on Earth. From Obama's Nomination Victory Speech In St. Paul June 3, 2008.

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

New Yorker
Shipmate
# 9898

- Posted      Profile for New Yorker   Email New Yorker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

My personal opinion is that the Muslim Terrorists hate the West and what we stand for. They hate US based capitalism (which they don't have to worry about for awhile or ever) and they hate our support for Israel. (Which they won't have to worry about if The Messiah is elected.)
Posts: 3193 | From: New York City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
agrgurich
Shipmate
# 5724

quote:
Originally posted by TraineeChristian:
/tangent alert/

Please could someone explain the term "hockey mom" to this confused brit? I've looked it up on wiki but I'm not sure I get it. Is it derogatory??

/end tangent/

A hockey mom is one who is very involved bringing her kids to & from hockey practice & games, fundraising etc. It's like a soccer mom only hockey instead.

It's not derogatory

--------------------

AJG

Orb

Eye eye Cap'n!
# 3256

- Posted      Profile for Orb   Author's homepage   Email Orb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Yes, "destined" was the wrong word.

"Bound" is better.

And Obama has already joked about people seeing him as some kind of Messiah figure. [See Gort's first quote, which I believe came after he was accused by the Clintons - remember this in years to come, folks - of being pie-in-the-sky.]

Come on, people! He's not Bono.

--------------------
“You cannot buy the revolution. You cannot make the revolution. You can only be the revolution. It is in your spirit, or it is nowhere.” Ursula K. Le Guin, The Dispossessed

Posts: 5032 | From: Easton, Bristol | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
Originally posted by New Yorker:
My personal opinion is that the Muslim Terrorists hate the West and what we stand for. They hate US based capitalism (which they don't have to worry about for awhile or ever) and they hate our support for Israel. (Which they won't have to worry about if The Messiah is elected.)

OK - so:

a) Why would Muslims hate capitalism ? (Bearing in mind that Mohamed was a trader.)
b) What is it that you think, they think, the West stands for - that they hate ?
c) Why do you think many Muslims (not just terrorist fundamentalists) have a problem with Israel ?

(I am not disputing these things maybe true - I am asking what you think causes this state of affairs. Because I suspect that different views about causation, are at the root of different views about which approaches would make the USA safer.)

[ 15. October 2008, 19:57: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------

Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Forget New Yorker--I'm still stunned that I'm voting for a candidate endorsed by Chris Buckley!

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

I would guess that it's mildly derogatory as a stereotype, and stereotypes are always at least a little derogatory or insulting. I recall seeing a quintessential soccer mom once in a strip-mall parking lot, straight out the comic strip. She was standing next to her SUV, at the open sliding door, into whose none-too-tidy interior several uniformed kids were climbing, as she chattered away on a cell phone. It was a rather endearing image-- I mean, if you're going to drive an SUV, what better justification is there than filling it with children-- but at the same time faintly ridiculous, especially given the cell-phone part. It's an image of Koyaanisqatsi, or life out of balance. "Soccer mom" is a term usually applied to third persons. To apply it to oneself might show a self-deprecating sense of humor but also makes a listener to wonder whether the speaker lacks enough ironic distance to see the ridiculous side of it.

All this applies to "hockey mom" as well, except that the reputation of hockey players and fans as to good sportsmanship has become even more tarnished of late.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  85  86  87  88  89  90  91  ...  109  110  111 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016