homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: The political junkie POTUS prediction thread (Page 100)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  97  98  99  100  101  102  103  ...  109  110  111 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: The political junkie POTUS prediction thread
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by FreeJack:
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
Around here #102 is the same as California's #8.

You have 102 things to vote on?

It just seems that way. I think the digit with which the number begins indicates if it's state, county, city, etc.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've been getting dozens of robocalls (including one very annoying one digused as an opinion poll). I am in a swing state (Virginia). Our ballot is simplicity itself. President, Senate and House. That's it.

I visited family in Tennessee (not a swing state) recently, and was rather surprised how little campaigning was happening there. We've been bombarded 24/7 for the last six months.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hiro's Leap

Shipmate
# 12470

- Posted      Profile for Hiro's Leap   Email Hiro's Leap   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
<off-topic> Just posting to belatedly wish this thread a Happy 100th Page. Is this some kind of record? I can't see anything approaching it in Limbo. </off-topic>
Posts: 3418 | From: UK, OK | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hiro's Leap, I have to adit I was wondering if it would make 100 pages before Election Day, and here it has, with several days to spare. [Big Grin]

edited for really bad typo.

[ 01. November 2008, 18:56: Message edited by: Nicolemrw ]

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hiro's Leap

Shipmate
# 12470

- Posted      Profile for Hiro's Leap   Email Hiro's Leap   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Your bad typo wasn't to mis-spell "Election" was it Nicolemrw? [Big Grin]
Posts: 3418 | From: UK, OK | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Actually I was wondering if anyone would come up with that, but seriously, no it wasn't. (In fact, I misspelled your name. Which just seemed so impolite I had to correct it. And then I somehow managed to miss the fact that I also misspelled "admit". Some days you just can't win. [Roll Eyes] )

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Izzybee
Shipmate
# 10931

- Posted      Profile for Izzybee   Author's homepage   Email Izzybee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Campbellite:
I've been getting dozens of robocalls (including one very annoying one digused as an opinion poll).

I got that very same one up here in Maryland, which is, to put it politely, not exactly a swing state. I must admit that I can only guess which campaign the call was from, since I hung up as soon as I realized it was a robocall.

--------------------
Hate filled bitch musings...

Posts: 1336 | From: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Campbellite:
Our ballot is simplicity itself. President, Senate and House. That's it.

We have President and House (no Senate this year); State Legislature (House and Senate); Sheriff; County Attorney; School Board (elementary and high school); Judges (approve or disapprove); bond issues; a bunch of propositions; and probably more that escape my mind right now.

I'm glad I already voted and turned in my ballot. They're expecting huge crowds on Tuesday (early voters had to wait in line for several hours), and with all of the candidates and issues on the ballot each voter can take a long time.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In addition to President, Senate, and House races, my ballot contains a County Board race, a School Board election, and a number of local initiatives mostly having to do with raising money for infrastructure improvements. Pretty standard, aside from all the attention my swing state has been getting.

I thought about voting absentee this year, but I have to admit I'm a bit of a junkie for going down to the polling place on election day. It is, in many ways, a civic religion for me. My one qualm is the implementation a few years ago of those %*^@#$! paperless touchscreen polling stations. Those things seem like an abomination to me. Ballots should be easily countable and re-checkable by anyone with basic literacy skills. Once you've implemented a system where special technical knowledge is required to do so, you've further separated the people from the process.

I've voted in person in every election since I turned eighteen, with one exception. I was out of the country that year and had to vote absentee.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
eeGAD

Wandering Stowaway
# 4675

- Posted      Profile for eeGAD   Email eeGAD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It is very intriguing to go back to page one to see where everyone's thoughts were a year ago. (I've been reading this thread since it started, just haven't had much more to add.) It's fascinating to me that there were loots of mentions of Hilary, not much mention of McCain. And with the exception of comet, I don't think any of us had heard of Palin.

Within the last week In Virginia they have begin making Palin-McCain buttons, posters etc. which I find pretty gross. I also have seen very few Obama/Biden stickers but rather Obama for America. From my point of view it looks like the Rebuplicans have slightly abandoned their own candidate in favor of the running mate, but the Democrats are focusing on the candidate.

eeG

--------------------
You don't fix faith. It fixes you. - Shepherd Book

Posts: 976 | From: The Land of Mary | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

Hey Cro! Long time no hear from! Drop me a line.

--------------------

Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
I thought about voting absentee this year, but I have to admit I'm a bit of a junkie for going down to the polling place on election day. It is, in many ways, a civic religion for me.

We vote by mail -- most folks in these parts do. I've got to admit, I love it! We have the ballots, the state and county booklets with the candidate statements and the official explanation of any and all ballot measures (with official statements pro and con), pages we've saved from the newspaper with coverage we want to be able to refer back to, and a computer, all spread out over the kitchen table. We can talk, argue, look things up, explain our choices to the kids, explain our choices to each other.

I understand the appeal of going to the poll. But I really, really like kitchen table voting.

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by eeGAD:
Within the last week In Virginia they have begin making Palin-McCain buttons, posters etc. which I find pretty gross... From my point of view it looks like the Rebuplicans have slightly abandoned their own candidate in favor of the running mate, but the Democrats are focusing on the candidate.

eeG

While in Florida...McCain's name nowhere to be seen at Palin rally.

--------------------
~Tortuf

Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Gov. Palin punked by The Masked Avengers in fake Nicolas Sarkozy phone call.

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
McCain wins election by one vote. Outraged public blames RuthW.

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

UnShaggy

UnSurly shipmate
# 82

- Posted      Profile for UnShaggy   Author's homepage   Email UnShaggy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gort:
McCain wins election by one vote. Outraged public blames RuthW.

Superb!

--------------------
We are like sailors who on the open sea must reconstruct their ship but are never able to start afresh from the bottom. Otto Neurath

Posts: 462 | From: That's me in the corner | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Laurence Eagleburger on Sarah Palin on Thursday:

quote:

The NPR host went on to ask if Palin could step in during a time of crisis. "It is a very good question," Eagleburger said. He paused, laughed, and added, "I'm being facetious here. Look, of course not."
Just to add to the entertainment, Eagleburger added, "Give her some time in the office and I think the answer would be, she will be [pause] adequate. I can't say that she would be a genius in the job. But I think she would be enough to get us through a four year... well I hope not... get us through whatever period of time was necessary. And I devoutly hope that it would never be tested."

And, allegedly his opinion on Saturday:

quote:

You are witnessing something quite unique—a man who’s about to talk to you while he has his foot in his mouth. I made a serious mistake yesterday. I was quoted correctly. I wasn’t thinking when I said it—in fact, I was discussing foreign policy, and this was in that context. And I was just plain stupid. And if I have given the flim-flam artist Barack Obama some success with this, I am deeply apologetic. I did not intend it.

In fact, if you look at this carefully, on the question of experience for example, Sarah Palin has been a governor, she has executive ability, she knows energy issues. Now you tell me what Barack Obama has ever done in the way of executive business, doing anything in the executive field. He has been in the Senate for some two years and he has been there half of the time and seldom votes on issues.
I’m sorry, I made a terrible mistake.

[link corrected]

[ 02. November 2008, 07:32: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I voted Saturday! [Yipee]

I went down to City Hall to vote absentee, thinking there wouldn't be too many people out on a rainy Saturday with a possible thunderstorm on the way.

Boy, was I wrong! When I got there, the line to go through security was already out the door. After I made it through that, then I went to the voting line. (Actually, it was split in two, and the helpers alternated which group went into the registrar's office next.)

There were maybe 200 people total in line when I was waiting. People seemed to be in a good mood. They really wanted to be there. The office was packed. The staff were very organized, and the person I got was very pleasant. When I left, the lines were still full, and more people were coming in!

If the lines were this long on Saturday, Tuesday should be something to see!

A certain coffee company with a green mermaid on their cups is running a great tv ad about voting...and after they get you all fired up to vote, they say that they'll give free brewed coffee to people who come in on the official election day and say they voted! [Smile]

BTW, the current episode of "Saturday Night Live" is really, really good! Track it down online! I'm mostly a fan of the "back in the day" SNL with the original cast. But IMHO, this episode is approaching that quality.
[Cool]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
eeGAD

Wandering Stowaway
# 4675

- Posted      Profile for eeGAD   Email eeGAD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
While in Florida...McCain's name nowhere to be seen at Palin rally.
Anybody care to explain what this means? Has the Republican party given in? Are they hoping McCain will fall ill? <shudder> What does it mean when they stop printing the candidate's name on the banners?

eeG

--------------------
You don't fix faith. It fixes you. - Shepherd Book

Posts: 976 | From: The Land of Mary | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'd only just picked myself up off the floor after listening to the Masked Avengers, when I discovered that Ms. Palin has redefined the 1st Amendment as freedom FROM the press:

quote:
... for reporters or columnists to suggest that it is going negative may constitute an attack that threatens a candidate's free speech rights under the Constitution, Palin said.

"If [the media] convince enough voters that that is negative campaigning, for me to call Barack Obama out on his associations," Palin told host Chris Plante, "then I don't know what the future of our country would be in terms of First Amendment rights and our ability to ask questions without fear of attacks by the mainstream media."

Palin: First Amendment Rights Threatened By Criticism

The phone call was hilarious, this is appalling. How can she possibly take an oath to uphold the Constitution if she has no fucking clue what it says? OliviaG

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I read somewhere recently that Gov Palin's IQ is 116. Perhaps she took the test on a good day ...

On the other hand, for those who think that the Republican attacks on Obama are not smear-motivated, here from the UK Sunday Times is a story of a failed dirty trick.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
SeraphimSarov
Shipmate
# 4335

- Posted      Profile for SeraphimSarov   Email SeraphimSarov   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
McCain was hilarious on SNL. I think that should be his new job. He can laugh at himself which is good to see.

--------------------
"For those who like that sort of thing, that is the sort of thing they like"

Posts: 2247 | From: Sacramento, California | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by OliviaG:
How can she possibly take an oath to uphold the Constitution if she has no fucking clue what it says? OliviaG

That never stopped the current incumbent...

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
I read somewhere recently that Gov Palin's IQ is 116. Perhaps she took the test on a good day ...

My take on it is that Palin is not stupid, but she's simply not interested in anything that doesn't advance the cause of Sarah Palin. It's all about her.

I also suppose she thinks (at least at some level) that she's advancing the Kingdom of God, or that it's all ok because she is "anointed".

But, yeah, it sounds like she cut civics class the days when the Constitution was discussed [Biased] .

Charlotte

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zwingli
Shipmate
# 4438

- Posted      Profile for Zwingli   Email Zwingli   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Every President for the last century at least has been an enemy of the Constitution. FDR was the worst, followed by GWB, TR, Nixon and LBJ. But I don't think there has been a single President in the last hundred years (and probably not since before Lincoln) who would let the Constitution interfere with their plans if they thought they could get away with it. I don't see Palin as being especially bad in that regard.
Foolhearty
Shipmate
# 6196

- Posted      Profile for Foolhearty   Email Foolhearty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Another black eye for standardized IQ tests.

quote:
On the other hand, for those who think that the Republican attacks on Obama are not smear-motivated, here from the UK Sunday Times is a story of a failed dirty trick.

I particularly like this quote from the article:

quote:
Millican took a preliminary look and found the charges “very implausible”. A deal was agreed for more detailed research but when Millican said the results had to be made public, even if no link to Ayers was proved, interest waned.
"Country first," and all that.

[ 02. November 2008, 16:50: Message edited by: Foolhearty ]

--------------------
Fear doesn't empty tomorrow of its perils; it empties today of its power.

Posts: 2301 | From: Upper right-hand corner | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

quote:
Every President for the last century at least has been an enemy of the Constitution. FDR was the worst, followed by GWB, TR, Nixon and LBJ. But I don't think there has been a single President in the last hundred years (and probably not since before Lincoln) who would let the Constitution interfere with their plans if they thought they could get away with it. I don't see Palin as being especially bad in that regard.
Which is of course why we have a constitution and (more importantly) a Bill of Rights in the first place. Because people in power, even the best of them, are going to take as much as they can in order to do what they think is right/neccessary/best for them/whatever.

That doesn't mean that they don't need to know where the limits are!

--------------------

Zwingli
Shipmate
# 4438

- Posted      Profile for Zwingli   Email Zwingli   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Nicolemrw - I agree. I just don't think Palin is especially bad, and I don't think she has the brains to be as bad as some of the snakes who have been President.

Foolhearty - the only time I have seen Palin's IQ mentioned as 116 is those annoying ads for online IQ tests, which feature a politician and a number plucked from the air - "Tony Blair's IQ is 127, are you smarter than Tony?" I think it's just made up. Although, 116 would put her just above one standard deviation above the mean. I don't think that's implausible. I suspect that many moderately bright people would come off as really, really stupid if thrust into the race to be Vice-President of the United States. I know there's a chance I would.

Foolhearty
Shipmate
# 6196

- Posted      Profile for Foolhearty   Email Foolhearty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Zwingli, I put next to no faith in standardized tests, IQ or otherwise, as I think intelligence manifests in a variety of ways. On the garden-variety IQ tests, "high avergage" generally translates as a score in the 110-119 range -- for whatever that's worth, and whatever that means.

I'm sure I'd come off no better than Palin if abruptly called upon to utter cogent statements on topics about which I knew little, cared less, and had thought not at all. But her quoted spontaneous remarks, when translated into print, do reveal some . . . what should I call it? . . . lack of coherence. Whatever intellect she may have appears not to be expressed strongly in verbal ways.

OTOH, she possess the kind(s) of intelligence(s) required to get elected to public office. Is judgment a form of intelligence? Was it good judgment on her part to say "yes," knowing, as she must have known, how unprepared she was?

[ 02. November 2008, 18:03: Message edited by: Foolhearty ]

Posts: 2301 | From: Upper right-hand corner | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Palin does strike me so much as stupid as ignorant. And the worst kind of ignorance: not the normal, limited educational experience type of ignorance-- the way all of us are by necessity limited by the simple fact that no one can be fully expert at everything. Rather hers seems more like that peculiar fundamentalist anti-intellectual strain of willful-- even prideful-- ignorance. The type that wears that ignorance as a badge of honor.

Normal, run-of-the mill ignorance is just a fact of life. Willful ignorance is dangerous.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Zwingli
Shipmate
# 4438

Is she wilfully ignorant? I haven't seen any instances of her deliberately choosing to stay ignorant. She seems to have, up until now, had a reasonably full life - putting herself through college when her parents couldn't afford to send her, getting involved in local politics, disagreeing with local Republicans and having to think for herself in order to do so. I think she plays the "goshdarnit I'm just a simple hockey mum from Alaska" card so much because she doesn't have any other options - she would never beat someone like Biden on knowledge of world affairs, so rather than concede defeat she changes tack and tries to turn it to her advantage. The way she speaks is a deliberate attempt to get a subset of the electorate onside. And it seems to be working, though that subset is probably too small to win the election. I have more doubts about McCain, who chose her not because he had no other options but deliberately so she would play that card.

FWIW, I've heard that those who have met George W Bush in private, or heard him speak at a small gathering that isn't being filmed or recorded, say he comes across as much, much smarter in those situations than he does on TV or in press interviews. I remember David Brooks in the NYT (a Republican, but not a Bush hack) say that, and I'm sure I heard it somewhere else as well.

As to IQ tests - I find them very useful, but then no doubt I'm biased as I tend to do well on them. Like it or not people will always try to gauge the intellectual ability of others, and a standardised IQ test seems as good a way as any to do that in a limited amount of time in a mostly unbiased manner. Maybe there are people who are very clever in other ways who do poorly on them, and they find them frustrating, but that applies to anything, from a college exam to a conversation to an online bulletin board. I can usually guess the IQ (when they do the test on Facebook) of my old friends and acquaintances to a pretty high degree of accuracy, even those I haven't seen in a decade or more, so there must be some correlation with real life applied intellect for me to be able to estimate their IQ from knowing them IRL.

trouty
Shipmate
# 13497

- Posted      Profile for trouty   Email trouty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So what are the predictions everyone? Not based on who you want to win but on who you think will win and by how much.
Posts: 205 | From: Somewhere out there | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My predictions, worth precisely what you're paying for them:

1. Obama/Biden win.

2. McCain takes a position as a correspondant on the Daily Show.

3. Palin resigns as governor to take a spot on The View, sitting just to the right of Elizabeth H.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Choirboy
Shipmate
# 9659

- Posted      Profile for Choirboy   Email Choirboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Obama with about 360 electoral votes. There will be one disappointment somewhere in the quadrant bounded by North Carolina, Minnesota and New England, but with enough robust pathways to victory, Obama still wins.

I hope we don't see efforts by teams of lawyers to disenfranchise voters in battleground districts. I'm not yet convinced we won't.

Posts: 2994 | From: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hiro's Leap:
Just posting to belatedly wish this thread a Happy 100th Page. Is this some kind of record?

Gosh, er, gee, erm, this little thing?

About damn time someone noticed... [Razz]

Paraphrasing one of my favorite songwriters: Planet lurches to the left as ideologies engage.

So: who is it in 2012? [Two face]

Posts: 4236 | From: Bentonville | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zwingli:
FWIW, I've heard that those who have met George W Bush in private, or heard him speak at a small gathering that isn't being filmed or recorded, say he comes across as much, much smarter in those situations than he does on TV or in press interviews. I remember David Brooks in the NYT (a Republican, but not a Bush hack) say that, and I'm sure I heard it somewhere else as well.

I recall reading somewhere that before the 2004 election Clinton told Gore that although Bush acted like he was stupid, it would be a *big* mistake to believe that image. With Bush, I didn't think it was a matter of (a lack of) raw intelligence so much as a severe intellectual laziness. That's why I really liked Clinton's comment at last week's Florida rally, that with Obama in office we would have a President that was not just capable of understanding complex issues, but also interested in understanding them.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

I think it will be a tighter race than we're anticipating, but I have hopes for Obama coming out on top.

Afterwards, McCain will finish out his term as senator, then retire. Palin I'm not sure about. It will really depend on the outcomes of the ethics violations investigations. If she gets hit hard by them, I could see her quitting politics and going into something like radio talk show hosting, or being a televangelest. Something that allows her to get a fanatical following without much oposition.

--------------------

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The geography is changing. Obama can win without Ohio - possibly even without Pennsylvania (though I think he looks likely to take Pennsylvania - & surely he will win in New Jersey?)

I suspect the South-West & the Mountain states are going to be very good for Obama. Colorado's going Dem by a big majority, and Nevada and New Mexico by smaller ones. Not even Arizona will be Republican by a landslide - if McCain were not from there it would be going Obama. Some people are even talking about Democrats winning Idaho and Montana (and one poll gives Obama Wyoming!). I'd be willing to bet that Utah will stay Republican but thats the only state in the region they are sure to win.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My prediction is that it won't be as close as people think. My predicted breakdown of states is that Obama carries all Kerry states and picks up Colorado, Iowa, New Mexico, and Virginia. That gives him 286 electoral votes (minimum) for the win.

States I consider too close to call at this point: Indiana, Missouri, Nevada, North Carolina, Ohio, and everyone's favorite swing state Florida. Interestingly enough, these are all states that went for Bush in 2004, so any of them represents a Democratic pick-up. What's interesting about this arrangement is that Obama can win without Ohio or Florida, which were the Democratic Achilles' heel in 2004 and 2000, respectively.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

Another interesting question is when will the race be "called"?

My prediction (going back to my previous post) is that Obama does manage to pick up Ohio and Florida, but that difficulty in the returns of Missouri leave that state up in the air until later. This pushes back the determination of the winner until the polls close in Iowa and Nevada (10:00pm EST), which finally puts Obama over the top in the Electoral College sometime around 10:15pm EST.

--------------------

Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Wyoming and Idaho polls sound like big outliers to me.

Montana, OTOH, is a definite possibility for flipping - big GOTV effort and a very energized D base. They have a Senate seat up but the R candidate looks somewhat to the left of Ralph Nader so it's not a race that will get the R base out.

One blog I read had someone go to a big fancy Dem event in Chicago a couple of weeks back (courtesy of her employer) - Montana was definitely being talked about. Blew my mind! ("Wait... you didn't mean to type "MO", did you?")

(My gut feeling: Montana D, ND R but close, Obama comes within 5 points in AZ.)

Charlotte

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

Strong feelings are getting stirred up all over the place. Here's one example from Michigan of someone going way overboard.

Yes, I understand you've got strong feelings, but you're putting politics where it really doesn't belong.

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

OK, just to give equal time to another view, I just spoke to my brother who is very depressed because his friend the psychic (don't ask. Just don't ask) said that all of the members of her psychic hotline group (no, really, don't ask) are depressed because none of them see Obama as the next president, either because the Republicans steal the election, or else because he'll be assasinated.

Remember. You read it here first. [Roll Eyes]

I love my brother. Honestly, I do...

--------------------

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zwingli:
I haven't seen any instances of her deliberately choosing to stay ignorant.

Oh, really?. I seem to recall that it was widely reported that Palin continued including falsehoods in her stump speech even after they were pointed out to her. Mix that in with her apparent ignorance of the US constitution, US legislative function relative to the executive brance, and any sort of realistic understanding of the rest of the world - things you might expect her to, you know, have polished up on in preparation for the debates.

I really don't know how she could cram any more deliberation into her staggering ignorance.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anna B
Shipmate
# 1439

- Posted      Profile for Anna B     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolemrw:
OK, just to give equal time to another view, I just spoke to my brother who is very depressed because his friend the psychic (don't ask. Just don't ask) said that all of the members of her psychic hotline group (no, really, don't ask) are depressed because none of them see Obama as the next president, either because the Republicans steal the election, or else because he'll be assasinated.

Oh, for heaven's sake. If they were so psychic there would be no "either/or" about it.

--------------------
Bad Christian (TM)

Posts: 3069 | From: near a lot of fish | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

I'll have to remember to point that out to my brother, Anna. However, I think it's more a case of some are saying Republican skullduggery, and others are saying assasination. I could be wrong though.

--------------------

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Here's what my UMC Pastor put in today's bulletin:
quote:
In the next few days before election, let us come together in prayer for our country. Some important points to remember is how your candidate feels about same sex marriage and abortion. If you have questions that might still be unanswered, there are a couple of Christian websites you can look up infromation at:
Followed by a couple of sites. Grammatical mistakes his own.
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
Here's what my UMC Pastor put in today's bulletin:
quote:
In the next few days before election, let us come together in prayer for our country. Some important points to remember is how your candidate feels about same sex marriage and abortion. If you have questions that might still be unanswered, there are a couple of Christian websites you can look up infromation at:
Followed by a couple of sites. Grammatical mistakes his own.
Does your church still have tax exempt status?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

Does your church have spell check?

--------------------
~Tortuf

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Does your church still have tax exempt status?
Pastor probably assumes that if James Dobson can get away with it and keep his tax-exempt status for the last 20 years or so, s/he can do the same.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  97  98  99  100  101  102  103  ...  109  110  111 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016