homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Wycliffe Hall in trouble (Page 42)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  39  40  41  42  43  44  45  46  47 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Wycliffe Hall in trouble
pete173
Shipmate
# 4622

- Posted      Profile for pete173   Author's homepage   Email pete173   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No, I didn't sign it. Of the 30 odd (very odd!) evangelical bishops who meet regularly (self-described, with no sense that we are an exclusive bunch), 20 of us signed it.

--------------------
Pete

Posts: 1653 | From: Kilburn, London NW6 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

- Posted      Profile for Nightlamp   Email Nightlamp   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hermeneut:
Another development (or possibly pure speculation)

here

I thought the comment about the NT scholar was more telling.

--------------------
I don't know what you are talking about so it couldn't have been that important- Nightlamp

Posts: 8442 | From: Midlands | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Fr Jim
Apprentice
# 13384

- Posted      Profile for Fr Jim         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Could someone tell me whether Andrew Goddard has been replaced, or Elizabeth Goddard? And I read this on another blog page about David Wenham's possible successor. Does anyone have any info?

'Friday 1 February 2008 - 12:48pm
Wycliffe Hall has been having problems finding a good New Testament tutor to replace David Wenham. (You will all recall that the hitherto unknown Andy Angel withdrew his acceptance of this post last year). I met some people last night at a church meeting in Oxford who told me that WH had interviewed four candidates who weer all young PhD types from North America. No good candidates from the UK, it seems.

Posts: 5 | From: Annapolis MD | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Scribehunter
Shipmate
# 12750

- Posted      Profile for Scribehunter         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't have much in the way of concrete information on this, but I would have thought that the scenario of US candidates is pretty plausible.
a) Plenty of reformed-conservative types with spurious doctorates.
b) Americans are quite used to having crazy autocrats in charge (e.g. Bush and Cheney).
c) Americans are not likely to have heard of the Wycliffe troubles (since they have mostly taken place in England, which is after all pretty much a foreign country).
d) There are thousands of them in need of jobs.
e) Lots of them have conservative views.
f) Most NT lectures in Church of England colleges are foreigners.

Fr Jim
Apprentice
# 13384

Thanks, Scribehunter, but I can assure you that no-one I know in the Eastern States would touch Wycliffe Hall with a proverbial barge pole. We Americans might not be that smart, but the smart ones among us know when an institution is going into meltdown. This doesn't mean, of course, that WH won't attract any Americans who teach New Testament. There are plenty from Texas, Kansas or Oklahoma who, as you rightly point out are used to near-idiot leadership and are are very easily impressed by Englanders! God bless them.
Scribehunter
Shipmate
# 12750

- Posted      Profile for Scribehunter         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fr Jim:
Thanks, Scribehunter, but I can assure you that no-one I know in the Eastern States would touch Wycliffe Hall with a proverbial barge pole. We Americans might not be that smart, but the smart ones among us know when an institution is going into meltdown. This doesn't mean, of course, that WH won't attract any Americans who teach New Testament. There are plenty from Texas, Kansas or Oklahoma who, as you rightly point out are used to near-idiot leadership and are are very easily impressed by Englanders! God bless them.

Father Jim,
I perceive that you are a prophet. I gather that the new appointment indeed comes direct from Oklahoma Baptist University. (But that he has been properly educated with a doctorate from that other place in the bogs of East Anglia)

FreeJack
Shipmate
# 10612

- Posted      Profile for FreeJack   Email FreeJack   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Scribehunter:
Father Jim,
I perceive that you are a prophet. I gather that the new appointment indeed comes direct from Oklahoma Baptist University. (But that he has been properly educated with a doctorate from that other place in the bogs of East Anglia)

I could just about stomach the choice of an American, but a Tab, never. Say it isn't so!
Charles Read
Shipmate
# 3963

- Posted      Profile for Charles Read   Author's homepage   Email Charles Read   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do you refer perchance to this university ?

--------------------
"I am a sinful human being - why do you expect me to be consistent?" George Bebawi

"This is just unfocussed wittering." Ian McIntosh

Posts: 701 | From: Norwich | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Scribehunter
Shipmate
# 12750

quote:
Originally posted by Charles Read:

I think the other one in the same town. Are degrees from Cambridge recognised in Oxford?
Scribehunter
Shipmate
# 12750

quote:
Originally posted by FreeJack:
quote:
Father Jim,

I could just about stomach the choice of an American, but a Tab, never. Say it isn't so!
Yes a Tab indeed; and a Texan. From an Oxford perspective which is worse?
Arrietty

Ship's borrower
# 45

- Posted      Profile for Arrietty   Author's homepage   Email Arrietty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know anything about the appointee other than what's been posted here, but what would concern me more than where they got their degree would be whether they were able to fulfil effectively any role they took as a tutor in ministerial formation for ordinands in the C of E.

--------------------
i-church

Online Mission and Ministry

Posts: 6634 | From: Coventry, UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Fr Jim
Apprentice
# 13384

There are some neat guys in religion at Oklahoma Baptist University. But they are guys. If I remember OBU doesn't have women teaching religion there - I don't think they even have women adjunct professors in nice, 'female' areas like pastoral care and counselling.
I doubt if anybody from OBU could start to understand the workings of the Church of England, Arrietty, and wouldn't know how to start preparing ordinands for it. But if what I read about Wycliffe Hall is true, what does it matter -they will feel right at home amongt the present faculty.

John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

I think the other one in the same town. Are degrees from Cambridge recognised in Oxford?
Degrees from Cambridge (and Trininty COllege, Dublin) are (or were in my day) the only degrees from other universities formally recognized in Oxford. The others existed, but had no formal standing -- so Doctors from such trivial universities such as Harvard and the Sorbonne were (and probably still are) awarded Oxford MAs to give them something to wear on academic occasions and formal standing in the university.

Cambridge did/does the same.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, from the clues ....... ... this seems to be the man.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

- Posted      Profile for Custard   Author's homepage   Email Custard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Arrietty:
I don't know anything about the appointee other than what's been posted here, but what would concern me more than where they got their degree would be whether they were able to fulfil effectively any role they took as a tutor in ministerial formation for ordinands in the C of E.

[brick wall]

The people in charge of ministerial formation here are all Anglicans. This is a primarily academic post and, like most colleges, we employ several non-Anglican teaching staff.

--------------------
blog
Adam's likeness, Lord, efface;
Stamp thine image in its place.

Posts: 4523 | From: Snot's Place | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Arrietty

Ship's borrower
# 45

- Posted      Profile for Arrietty   Author's homepage   Email Arrietty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Custard, having been fully trained and ordained for several years I am, believe it or not, possibly a little further on than you in my understanding of ministerial formation and the resources needed to sustain someone as an ordained minister.

The fact you seem to think you know everything there is to know about formation doesn't surprise me because it's consistent with my perception of your attitude across this whole thread. However, just because you believe something it doesn't make it true.

My comment was not, believe it or not, intended as an invitation for another spirited defence of Wycliffe Hall and everything it does.

I have a right to be concerned about training because anyone now in training could in due course end up as a colleague. If ordinands are not properly trained in the end it's other people who will have to pick up the pieces, not Wycliffe Hall.

--------------------
i-church

Scribehunter
Shipmate
# 12750

quote:
Originally posted by Custard.:
quote:
Originally posted by Arrietty:

[brick wall]

The people in charge of ministerial formation here are all Anglicans. This is a primarily academic post and, like most colleges, we employ several non-Anglican teaching staff.

This is clearly nonsense and I hope it is a Custardism rather than a Wycliffe principle. The New Testament ought to be entirely central in ministerial education and formation. The tutor in NT is a central appointment in any theological college.
Yerevan
Shipmate
# 10383

- Posted      Profile for Yerevan   Email Yerevan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sort of with Custard on this one (wow!). Anyone training ordinands for Anglican ministry has to be familiar with Anglicanism and willing to work within an Anglican framework. On the other hand I'm not sure they have to be Anglican (its probably a healthy thing if a few of them aren't). On the other hand I can't help thinking they could have done better then a young guy from OBU*, which makes me wonder if there wasn't an 'ideological' element to the appointment.

*Ok, he has a PhD from Cambridge, but so do literally thousands of other people who still aren't qualified to hold an important academic post.

[ 06. February 2008, 09:17: Message edited by: Yerevan ]

Posts: 3758 | From: In the middle | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If this horse isn't up and running soon, the kindest thing is to take it out and shoot it.
When it runs everyone will see if it has a future.
Get it running.
I for one don't really care if it's staffed by Americans, English or our brethren from the land of Eskimoes.

J Whitgift

Pro ecclesia dei!
# 1981

- Posted      Profile for J Whitgift   Email J Whitgift   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's not unusual to have teachers from outside of a theological College's tradition taking seminars. Both my father (an Anglican) and the Anglo-Catholic theologian, Ken Leech, have taught at a particular Baptist Theological College in South London. I've met other Priests who've taken on similar positions in the past.

However, I agree with Arietty. We need to ensure that 'formation' produced well trained Priests, able to work and cope with the life of a Priest in the modern world. Therefore the person filling the post must meet academic standards and be effective in their work in 'formation'. Other considerations are surely secondary to that.

--------------------
On the issue of homosexuality the Liberals have spent their time thinking, considering and listening (in the spirit of the Windsor process), whereas Conservative Anglicans have used the time to further dig their feet in and become more intransigent.

Posts: 2838 | From: Gone shoreside | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Low Treason
Shipmate
# 11924

- Posted      Profile for Low Treason   Email Low Treason   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Not exactly: the Official Line is that Oxford does not recognise the degree but does recognise that Cambridge graduates have reached the standards and other qualifications required to obtain Oxford degrees - so Cambridge (and Trinity Dublin) graduates are entitled to proceed to the same degree at Oxford that they have already taken at Cambridge.
This is known as 'Incorporation'

--------------------
He brought me to the banqueting house, and His banner over me was love.

Posts: 1914 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
IME, tutors in e.g. Church History, NT and OT did not per se have much involvement in the ministerial formation aspects of training. Those whose personal qualities or experience suited them for that role did along with those whose appointments were specifically directed to that task. Everyone was expected to support the ethos of the college which was oriented towards formation as well as the technical aspects of training.

I guess the kinds of concerns one might have about an NT tutor from outside the Anglican Communion would be whether in relation to baptism, church order, or the ministry of women (to choose the three most obvious cruxes (cruces?) I can think of) they had strong views about what the NT has to say which would sit uncomfortably within a training institution preparing people for ministry in the whole Church of England.

Otherwise - if this is the person appointed - he seems to be a promising teacher who is suitably qualified, and his profile is not unlike that of other appointments to theological colleges.

People of the status and calibre of (e.g.) David Wenham are, I believe, relatively rare in those settings.

[ 06. February 2008, 11:11: Message edited by: BroJames ]

Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

- Posted      Profile for Nightlamp   Email Nightlamp   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't see any problem with a non-anglican appointment.

--------------------
I don't know what you are talking about so it couldn't have been that important- Nightlamp

innocent(ish)
Shipmate
# 12691

- Posted      Profile for innocent(ish)   Email innocent(ish)   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't see a problem either. At the only Anglican Trianing institution of which I have direct experience (Ridley Hall), the New Testament tutoring was given by at least four different people, whose background was from a variety of churches. As NT lectures were given to all those in the Cambridge Theological Federation at the same time, there wasn't a particular slant one way or the other.

Each of the member institutions had seperate lecturers concerned with the formation of their individual traditions. All round a very good way of doing things IME (mind you, I have nothing to compare it with)

[ 06. February 2008, 12:00: Message edited by: innocent(ish) ]

--------------------
"Christianity has become part of the furniture ... like a grand piano nobody plays any longer.I want the dust to be taken off and people to play music." Archbishop John Sentamu

Posts: 109 | From: Rochester | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Arrietty

Ship's borrower
# 45

I trained in an ecumenical institution so I don't have any problem with non-Anglicans per se either.

However the concept of people teaching ordinands on a purely academic basis with no input to their formation is clearly a non-starter in a theological college setting. The theological education and ministerial formation are meant to take place together. You form a community which is geared towards ministerial formation and everyone is a part of that. Otherwise why bother?

--------------------
i-church

Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

- Posted      Profile for Custard   Author's homepage   Email Custard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree to an extent. I think, for example, that lifestyle issues and personal holiness (for which read humility, avoiding gossip, sexual morality, etc) should play a major part in selecting candidates for this sort of job.

On the other hand, it's also important to recognise that Anglicans don't have a monopoly on those. What do you need Anglicans for? Teaching about issues affecting the Anglican church and how to work within the Anglican church. It's the Anglican didactic content side of things rather than the Christian living side of things that needs Anglican staff.

And the Anglican didactic content side of things is headed up by Will Donaldson (formerly DDO or something to Pete Broadbent), who is very definitely Anglican.

We've already got one Baptist and one Dutch Reformed member of academic teaching staff, both of whom have been here at least as long as Richard Turnbull. We've also got quite a few non-Anglican students. It really isn't a problem.

--------------------
blog
Adam's likeness, Lord, efface;
Stamp thine image in its place.

Posts: 4523 | From: Snot's Place | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think anyone has suggested that the appointee would have no input into the formational side of training. Just that apart from the formational task of the institution as a whole, others might have the express task of formation within the Anglican tradition.

(What innocent(ish) has said.)

Arrietty

Ship's borrower
# 45

quote:
Originally posted by BroJames:
I don't think anyone has suggested that the appointee would have no input into the formational side of training.

Actually I think Custard has - at least that's how I read:

quote:
Originally posted by Custard.:

[Coding]

[ 06. February 2008, 14:36: Message edited by: Arrietty ]

--------------------
i-church

Scribehunter
Shipmate
# 12750

Typically integrated thinking here from the Custard. One would hope that in an evangelical theological college students would be formed for ministry by the evangel. Like it or not the NT Tutor has a primary role in helping students encounter, study and interpret that evangel.

This new guy sounds pretty good for a Texan. Seems quite human (although young like the policemen), has a recognised PhD, has an academic book, knows about Galatians, looks basically heterosexual, seems to enjoy teaching and challenging students. He probably has extensive experience in the Church of England while in Cambridge (StAG?).

J Whitgift

Pro ecclesia dei!
# 1981

- Posted      Profile for J Whitgift   Email J Whitgift   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
... looks basically heterosexual ...

[Paranoid]

You can tell just by looking!?! Wow!!

[Reminder to self: Get Gaydar/Straight Person sensor fixed. [Big Grin] ]

--------------------
On the issue of homosexuality the Liberals have spent their time thinking, considering and listening (in the spirit of the Windsor process), whereas Conservative Anglicans have used the time to further dig their feet in and become more intransigent.

Posts: 2838 | From: Gone shoreside | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cadfael
Shipmate
# 11066

- Posted      Profile for Cadfael   Email Cadfael   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by J Whitgift:
quote:
... looks basically heterosexual ...

[Paranoid]

You can tell just by looking!?! Wow!!

[Reminder to self: Get Gaydar/Straight Person sensor fixed. [Big Grin] ]

Surely, the wife and two children listed on the profile are something of a clue... aren't they...?

Unless the implication is that a prospective member of staff for WH would be qualified if he looks like he is, whether he is or not?

Are there similar criteria at the other Anglican college in Oxford ...?

Posts: 576 | From: North by North West | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Charles Read
Shipmate
# 3963

- Posted      Profile for Charles Read   Author's homepage   Email Charles Read   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
His not being Anglican is no problem per se but he will need to acquire sufficient understanding of and empathy with the C of E to engage in the formational aspects of the job - for NT tutior is a crucial formational post!

My NT colleague in Durham was a House Church leader with a Baptist ecclesiology but understood the C of E and could challenge students (esp. conservative evangelical ones!) about their readiness to minister within it. He was an excelllent colleague - even when we disagreed!

--------------------
"I am a sinful human being - why do you expect me to be consistent?" George Bebawi

"This is just unfocussed wittering." Ian McIntosh

Posts: 701 | From: Norwich | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Fool on Hill
Shipmate
# 12183

- Posted      Profile for Fool on Hill     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have no problem with non-Anglicans. What does trouble me is the idea that academic study and ministerial formation can be separated - I believe they are intimately related. The separation of the two is dangerously reductionist, has led to a deep suspicion of academia in large parts of the church, leaves us under-resourced in our practical theological and pastoral reflection and is a thoroughly bad thing.

In fact it reflects a faulty reductionist anthropology, rather than the all-encompassing command to love God with heart and mind and soul and strength.

--------------------
God appointed a worm that attacked the bush so that it withered.

Posts: 171 | From: Berkshire | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
FreeJack
Shipmate
# 10612

- Posted      Profile for FreeJack   Email FreeJack   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Yes a Tab indeed; and a Texan. From an Oxford perspective which is worse?
Well I've dated a Texan, but never knowingly dated a Tab!

[For non-classical readers, Tab is a slang short form of the University of Cambridge in Latin.]

Magistra
Apprentice
# 13066

- Posted      Profile for Magistra   Email Magistra   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Synod debate over the Ecclesiastical Offices Measure on Tuesday morning contained a discussion about use of secular courts to settle employment disputes, to which Dr Storkey contributed. To hear the debate, go to the last link "Audio of Session" and skip forward 56 minutes. Dr Storkey's contribution can be heard at 1hr 6mins. This discussion deals with many of the questions raised on this thread.
Posts: 37 | From: Oxford | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Magistra
Apprentice
# 13066

- Posted      Profile for Magistra   Email Magistra   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apologies - I should have acknowledged Jody at Fulcrum for the heads-up.
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Magistra. I'll listen to the rest at leisure. The prolongued round of applause after Elaine Storkey spoke (IMO in a very measured and sensible way as to the principle) said rather a lot.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Magistra
Apprentice
# 13066

She spoke calmly and purposefully, certainly, but not without a note of (righteous?) fury. Her point, as I understand it, was that in an ideal world the Church would have internal structures to deal justly with employment disputes - albeit "in public view" - as recommended in 1 Corinthians 6. But, since the relevant ecclesiastical authorities so clearly failed to uphold justice in the Wycliffe case, it is legitimate to turn to a secular court which (unlike the courts available to the Corinthians) is firmly grounded in Christian values. She identified these as the defence of the vulnerable; the principle that the law should be "no respecter of persons"; the pursuit of justice for the oppressed. She finished her speech by asking why, when blessed with a judicial system shaped by Christian ideals, should clergy and employees of the Church not stand alongside any other vulnerable person in this nation?
We also had a further glimpse into the series of events which led to this awful situation (large sums of money offered to staff to leave quietly, etc.).

Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

It leaves me wondering which would be considered to be the most morale taking pots of cash and hiding a sickness in a christian organisation or taking a christian organisation to court.

--------------------

innocent(ish)
Shipmate
# 12691

- Posted      Profile for innocent(ish)   Email innocent(ish)   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I see that the new bishop of Coventry is to be Chris Cocksworth, currently principal of Ridley Hall Theological College. The College has thrived under Chris and Graham Cray before him, and it should be interesting to see who replaces Chris at Ridley.

The danger I guess is for the Ridley Council in their efforts to not repeat the same situation that happened at Wycliffe, that they go for someone who is safe and steady rather than dynamic and forward looking.

I suppose Richard Turnbull could apply [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Christianity has become part of the furniture ... like a grand piano nobody plays any longer.I want the dust to be taken off and people to play music." Archbishop John Sentamu

Posts: 109 | From: Rochester | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
FreeJack
Shipmate
# 10612

Well Elaine Storkey probably wouldn't get an interview...

How about Charles Read?

BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

This recent blog post from Simon Vibert is as interesting for what it doesn't say as for anything that it does. While one could hardly expect any detailed comment about ES and the Goddards it does look like a dramatic piece of airbrushing!

[ 07. March 2008, 19:44: Message edited by: BroJames ]

Arrietty

Ship's borrower
# 45

Why is Richard Turnbull writing on Simon Vibert's blog? Is Simon Vibert his sock puppet?

You have to admire the chutzpah of someone in his position who can sum up the last year by saying

quote:
a number of improvements have been made to our staff structure, to ensure that we, as a leading theological college, continue to uphold the highest level of academic standards, whilst equipping men and women for modern Christian Ministry
Maybe he's hoping for the 'Dallas' solution where all the nasty bits turn out to have been a dream.

[ 07. March 2008, 22:48: Message edited by: Arrietty ]

--------------------
i-church

FreeJack
Shipmate
# 10612

I should imagine that Vibert is just quoting the 'press/student release' on his blog because Turnbull hasn't got one.

They can't easily refer to the cases before the courts, even if they wanted to.

Arrietty

Ship's borrower
# 45

quote:
They can't easily refer to the cases before the courts, even if they wanted to.

Yes, but if I were, say, in the middle of a messy divorce based on my alleged misbehaviour, it might look a little economical with the truth if I sent out a Christmas round robin saying 'recent adjustments in our relationship have left Fred's and my marriage in better shape than ever'.

[ 08. March 2008, 14:04: Message edited by: Arrietty ]

--------------------
i-church

Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

They really say something like 'Despite the significant staffing issues and mistakes made by different people the college as a community is thriving and we can see God at work in the life of everyone here'.
A positive spin on a bad situation is better than ignoring it.

--------------------

Arrietty

Ship's borrower
# 45

I think if I had been unfairly dismissed I might feel it was a bit more than spin to see that represented as something which had improved the staffing structure and increased its upheld its academic standards.

--------------------
i-church

BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

quote:
Originally posted by Nightlamp:
They really say something like 'Despite the significant staffing issues and mistakes made by different people the college as a community is thriving and we can see God at work in the life of everyone here'.
A positive spin on a bad situation is better than ignoring it.

Where do they do this, Nightlamp? They don't make any reference to any problems at all. Or did you mean to put "They really should say..."?
Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

quote:
Originally posted by BroJames:
Or did you mean to put "They really should say..."?

Ooops, yes, a vital should was missing.

--------------------

Qupe
Shipmate
# 12388

- Posted      Profile for Qupe   Email Qupe   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So the question is - my question, anyway - for a would-be ordinand such as myself, is Wycliffe off the menu for the time being? Is it somewhere people can learn and grow etc etc (esp. if, like myself, they don't fit the Con-Evo mould)?

--------------------
'Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.'

Posts: 802 | From: Down the road from the chocolate factory | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  39  40  41  42  43  44  45  46  47 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016