homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Recipe thread - another delicious helping (Page 7)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  41  42  43 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Recipe thread - another delicious helping
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thurible:
i) I'd rather hoped the marinade would soak through to the chicken flesh but it didn't; it simply made the skin scrummy. To make it do so, should I just put some underneath the skin?

Usually the advice is to put a couple of gashes in the meat/fish and rub the marinade in.

quote:

ii) Would it have made more sense to let the vegetables roast without the chicken for fifteen minutes or was taking the meat out a bit before the end to stand the best thing?

I think the secret of getting the all-in-one-pan roast right, is the proportion of meat and veg. I do this kind of meal quite often, since it's quick and easy. In the course of cooking, both meat and vegetables will produce moisture (in varying degrees), so you need to decide what you want to do with this liquid.

If, for example, I am roasting a whole chicken, I conserve the moisture for about two-thirds of the cooking time (by wrapping the bird in foil, and putting 'moist' aromatics like onion and garlic in with it). I then pour the resultant juices off, to form the basis of the gravy, uncover the bird, up the heat and let it finish cooking to a dry, crisp finish.

If I were wanting a 'dry' open tray roast of chicken pieces and vegetables, I would probably either not put all the vegetables in the same tray - more the ones which flavour the meat - and either expect them to be soft and a bit soggy with the juices, or - spread everything out a bit and up the heat, so that more evaporation takes place, and you get more of a caramelised finish. The harder sorts of veg, such as root, I would tend to tip into a separate tray with a little pre-heated oil, and dry roast them that way.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
rosamundi

Ship's lacemaker
# 2495

- Posted      Profile for rosamundi   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Yangtze:
Probably too late for those peppers...

But not for the one I've had loitering in the fridge for a couple of days, making me feel guilty - thank you!

--------------------
Website.
Ship of Fools flickr group

Posts: 2382 | From: here or there | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thurible:
I'd rather hoped the marinade would soak through to the chicken flesh but it didn't; it simply made the skin scrummy. To make it do so, should I just put some underneath the skin?

ii) Would it have made more sense to let the vegetables roast without the chicken for fifteen minutes or was taking the meat out a bit before the end to stand the best thing?

It would make more sense (and be a healthier alternative) to remove the skin altogether.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

- Posted      Profile for Flausa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure this constitutes much of an actual recipe (and I'm not sure that I should label it lunch), but I just made myself a really scrummy lunch.

I microwaved a sweet potato, split it open and dropped on some butter, chopped walnuts, a sprinkle of salt, and a couple sprinkles of caster sugar. It was like sweet potato pie without the faff (and probably half the calories).

Washed down with a glass of chocolate soy milk, it tasted a deliciously sinful autumnal treat.

Posts: 4610 | From: bonny Scotland | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
chukovsky

Ship's toddler
# 116

- Posted      Profile for chukovsky   Author's homepage   Email chukovsky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone got any ideas about what to do with lettuce, apart from salads, burgers/sandwiches, and tacos?

We have a huge one every week at the moment from our organic veg subscription plus some smaller leaves growing in a pot in the garden!

--------------------
This space left intentionally blank. Do not write on both sides of the paper at once.

Posts: 6842 | From: somewhere else | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Braised lettuce with mushrooms is good and braised lettuce with peas.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Made a pie the other day, the leftovers of which I've just finished.

Chop onion (roughly) and leek (small). Sweat in butter for about 15 mins. Add garlic to taste. Throw in 2lb mushrooms. When they're cooked (rather than fried), take out and put into a mixing bowl in which you've mixed half a pack of cream cheese and a handful of real cheese (I used stilton). Stir them all together.

Flash fry some diced beef and bacon. Add to the mixture.

Put it in a piedish (or a crockery roasting tin if you don't have one!). Put a pastry lid on the top (I made my own pastry for the first time since I was at school and it was rather nice). Glaze and whack in a pre-heated oven at 200 for about half an hour.

I served it with mashed potato - and added some of the juices from the various stages to the gravy (Bisto granules, I'm afraid). All very lovely.

Served two of us at dinner on Monday and there was a portion left over for lunch and one for dinner.

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chukovsky:
Anyone got any ideas about what to do with lettuce

Lettuce soup. No, really. Mother's garden used to be overrun with them, and she would make it in bulk and freeze it.
chukovsky

Ship's toddler
# 116

- Posted      Profile for chukovsky   Author's homepage   Email chukovsky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Seriously? Is it nice? (ditto braised lettuce - both sound a bit weird to me!)

--------------------
This space left intentionally blank. Do not write on both sides of the paper at once.

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:

Yes. Make with veg or chicken stock, a few fresh herbs, liquidise, swirl of cream - very fresh and summery. Braised with peas is very good too - after all, it works for endive.
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never tried a pure lettuce soup, but it can make a nice ingredient added to a basic vegetable soup. Just chop the lettuce up and, near the end of your usual cooking time (about ten or fifteen minutes before), stir it in. It adds a different texture and a pleasant flavor to the average veggie soup. And it can freeze reasonably well.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
chukovsky

Ship's toddler
# 116

OK, I'll be brave, and report back!

(If anyone sees Mr Spouse here, send him away, he needn't know what's in it until he's tried it and liked it, is my policy)

--------------------

Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I sometimes add lettuce that's gone limp to a stir fry right at the last second. That way it's meant to be limp!

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a Chinese cookbook that says you can substitute lettuce for bean sprouts in stir-frying.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My mother used to make lovely green creamy soup by substituting the watercress in a soup recipe with lettuce. I think the original was probably from Delia Smith's Cookery Course (mid-1970s).

On the cooking haggis question, this is going to sound heretical, but the butcher we used to buy it from in Belfast (a champion haggis-maker) told us to microwave it, and it was never less than delicious.

[Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
I think the original was probably from Delia Smith's Cookery Course (mid-1970s).

or, rather, Delia Smith's Cookery Course (timeless).

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

chukovsky

Ship's toddler
# 116

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
quote:

Yes. Make with veg or chicken stock, a few fresh herbs, liquidise, swirl of cream - very fresh and summery. Braised with peas is very good too - after all, it works for endive.
Well, despite my reservations, I made this from a recipe someone else directed me to which sounded roughly like yours - it asked for cream but we had fat free sour cream (I know, how can you have fat free cream? which is why I didn't notice when I bought it! I thought it was reduced-fat like reduced-fat creme fraiche!) so I put that in. And it wanted parsley but we don't like parsley but had fresh coriander.

And it was rather nice.

--------------------

Clarence
Shipmate
# 9491

- Posted      Profile for Clarence   Email Clarence   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a recipe for 'gardener's soup' which contains lettuce, but I found that it didn't translate from UK to Oz. The type of lettuce is important: the variety I used in UK (I think it was a little Gem) isn't what I tried here and the soup was bitter and inedible. Moral: don't do what I did and have to whisk the soup spoons from the table and advise the guests that soup was off the menu [Hot and Hormonal] - trial the lettuce type before the dinner party!

--------------------
I scraped my knees while I was praying - Paramore

Posts: 793 | From: Over the rainbow | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tropical Beachcomber
Shipmate
# 9009

- Posted      Profile for Tropical Beachcomber   Email Tropical Beachcomber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have two very large marrows sitting looking at me in the kitchen! I'm going to stuff some of one, but I want to make marrow and ginger jam with the rest - a substance I remember with pleasure from my childhood. Alas, I have no recipe! Please, can anyone help?

TBC

Posts: 157 | From: south of the river | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bit late for the lettuce, but when I used to get organic bags (I wish I still did but I never managed to pay the suppliers on time) there was a lettuce every week, sometimes two. And a lettuce a week is far too much for one person.

So sometimes I roast them. (or perhaps bake woudl be a better word) Honest. It works as a side dish. If I was cooking anything else in the over I'd and put the whole head of lettuce in a pyrex dish with maybe some onion and a little water (only a little) and some butter on top. Might put cheese on it. Or even breadcrumbs. If its a floppy sort of lettuce might need to tie it round with a string to keep it together.

One thing it showed you was how little eating there is in a lettuce.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone have a recipe for fish soup - the rich, substantial non-translucent kind - that doesn't involve 60 different kinds of fish, obscure veg and 12 hours in the kitchen?

I'm happy to make my own fish stock and go from there, but would like to keep it relatively simple.

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thurible,

To make up for my gaffe about +Duncan, try this. Easy, and while the pork is cooking, you can do some mangetout peas or asparagus to serve with it, and the salad to follow.

The day before, brush oil over a dish just big enough to hold your pork chops/cutlets/medallions. Sprinkle with a spice mix and some finely chopped thyme. Put the pork into the dish, brush the tops with oil and add more of the spice and herb. I use a recipe from Elizabeth David for the spice mix - pepper, with some cloves, nutmeg and juniper berries ll ground finely. You may find one in a local deli which you like.

On the evening, take the pork from the fridge about a half hour before you wan to start cooking. Place them in a frying pan over a very low possible heat. No need to add any more oil. Chop an onion and a pear and place them around. Turn the pork after 20 minutes, and cook for another 15. Remove and keep hot. Pour in some dry vermouth/dry white, boil rapidly until good and mushy, pour in a bit of cream and reheat. Serve A good Rhine Riesling goes well.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Does anyone have a recipe for fish soup - the rich, substantial non-translucent kind - that doesn't involve 60 different kinds of fish, obscure veg and 12 hours in the kitchen?

I have two versions of fish soup (or rather, stew).

One is Chowderish. Begin by frying a bit of diced bacon. Add chopped onion and chunked potato. Add stock. When potato almost tender, add fish. Last of all add spoonful or two of creme fraiche.

The other is a Sophie Grigson recipe - I'm working from memory - but essentially it is create a thin tomato sauce with onion, garlic, tinned tomatoes, red wine, herbs and sugar. Simmer for 10 or 15 minutes or until you feel it is adequately mellow. Tip in fish.

Left alone and unsupervised with some fish stock, I would probably try to nudge it towards Tom Yam Goong by chucking in chili, lemongrass, nam pla, shallots (anything I had to hand that seemed vaguely Thai) and then poaching the fish in that.

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks!

Fish soup already under way - stock made with salmon trimmings, onion, carrot, fennel, herbs; and the soup itself is supermarket's Fish Pie mix which is pieces of diced haddock, salmon and smoked haddock. Not quite what I had in mind, but with fresh tomatoes, onion, red wine, garlic and seasoning it's actually turning out to be very nice, although not as thick as I wanted.

The chowder sounds great and I have everything in so that'll be next to try in a couple of days.

(You know how it is. You go somewhere for lunch, have this wonderful dish and spend some time unsuccessfully, but enjoyably, trying to recreate it at home.)

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ariel, that sounds delicious. Have you ever tried Cullen skink? It's a sort of smoked haddock chowder with potatoes and onions.

Good luck! [Smile]

PS I've never tried to link to a web-page before as I'm a technof*ckwit, so if it doesn't work, then I apologise.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The link worked for me, piglet, and it sounds delicious!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Thanks piglet! That's on my list of things to try... a good rich fish soup or fish stew is nice to come home to on a cold autumn evening.
Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Going back to the subject of kohlrabi - today we tried it with pasta and cheese sauce in the manner of cauliflower cheese and it was very tasty. We added smoked bacon, mushrooms, onions and sweetcorn and lots of black pepper. Also used crushed cornflakes in lieu of breadcrumbs on top which also worked well.

--------------------
Nea Fox

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Did the Keren-Gumblet like it? [Big Grin]

--------------------

Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A friend brought back some vanilla powder for me from Bali, knowing how much I like vanilla. What should I use it for? I presume I could use it like vanilla essence but want ot make something more "special" than my ordinary uses.
Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
PS I've never tried to link to a web-page before as I'm a technof*ckwit, so if it doesn't work, then I apologise.

Absolutely hunky dory tiddly boo, I assure you [Smile]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ferijen:
A friend brought back some vanilla powder for me from Bali, knowing how much I like vanilla. What should I use it for? I presume I could use it like vanilla essence but want ot make something more "special" than my ordinary uses.

It will be wonderful for enhancing things like custard - make custard then whisk in some vanilla powder and some real cream - YUMMY!

There must be a zillion other uses but my brain has seized - except for home made vanilla ice cream, or home made vanilla frozen yogurt!

I'm sure others will be along shortly to give other suggestions.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Vanilla powder

Make sweet filo parcels filled with something like apricots and ginger, then mix a small quantity of vanilla powder with icing sugar and sprinkle over the top.

Cheat none dairy double-cream (does not whip). Get the single cream substitute, ground up almonds and grind them even finer, add almonds to the single cream substitute and add a small quantity of vanilla powder. Mix well. It really is delicious.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rice pudding.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
Vanilla powder

Make sweet filo parcels filled with something like apricots and ginger, then mix a small quantity of vanilla powder with icing sugar and sprinkle over the top.

Cheat none dairy double-cream (does not whip). Get the single cream substitute, ground up almonds and grind them even finer, add almonds to the single cream substitute and add a small quantity of vanilla powder. Mix well. It really is delicious.

Jengie

Mmmm!
Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

quote:
Originally posted by Keren-Happuch:
Going back to the subject of kohlrabi - today we tried it with pasta and cheese sauce in the manner of cauliflower cheese ...

quote:
Did the Keren-Gumblet like it? [Big Grin]

Well, he ate the pasta and the cheese sauce which is good enough for me! [Smile]

--------------------
Nea Fox

Suzywoozy
Shipmate
# 6259

- Posted      Profile for Suzywoozy   Author's homepage   Email Suzywoozy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I mentioned on the New Little Britain thread that I had made a yummy parsnip cake and had requests for the recipe so here it is.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup grated parsnip (I made parsnip crisps with the big ends of three parsnips and used the bottom ends for this)

7 tbsp margarine
2 cups SR flour
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup raisins (I'd run out so used currents)
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp mixed spice
1 cup water

Put everything except the flour and salt in a pan. heat gently until melted. Put salt and flour in a bowl add melted ingredients. Stir until just mixed. Pour into a tray. cook for 35-40 mins at 160 deg C.

I have to say that my oven is rubbish and only cooks from the top so it stayed in a lot longer and got covered with foil half way through.

This made a sticky, kind of treacly tasting cake. Everyone here loved it - it didn't taste of parsnips at all. Parsnips were on special offer in Morrison last week so we have rather a lot.

--------------------
My life.

Posts: 658 | From: Ambridge | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone have any good and simple recipes for making sweets and/or chocolates? I am thinking about making some for friends for Christmas.

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
chukovsky

Ship's toddler
# 116

I've made chocolate truffles before, which have been appreciated: recipe similar to this one, but use decent dark chocolate broken up into bits.

Rum balls are another family favourite, we use digestive biscuits for the biscuits, and golden syrup is pretty much the same as they syrup they ask for. Make in a food processor but put the biscuits in first and don't try to blend too much at one time (she says, from bitter experience.)

Are you sensing a theme here?? Walnut- or almond-stuffed dates, rolled in caster sugar, are also very nice, and rum-free.

--------------------

Agent Smith
Shipmate
# 3299

- Posted      Profile for Agent Smith   Email Agent Smith   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Delia Says"*
http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/home-made-chocolate-truffles,796,RC.html

This is my truffle recipe, - yummy. (However can get messy and you need to keep it in the fridge when not working with it otherwise it goes into a gooey mess. [Snigger]

(* dad learnt to cook using Delia, and seems to have learnt everything she has to say. I can recommend her Christmas cake too, I have one being fed brandy for a housewarming cake (by the time I move it will be more brandy than cake [Big Grin] )

--------------------
"I'm so English, I am probably descended from a Cricket Bat and a cup of tea".

James May - 20th Century

http://www.flickr.com/photos/agentsmith1974/

Posts: 536 | From: Inside M25 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Suzywoozy
Shipmate
# 6259

- Posted      Profile for Suzywoozy   Author's homepage   Email Suzywoozy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Last year we made blackberry vodka and when we took the blackberries out we coated them in dark chocolate (I just used cheap stuff)and let them set on grease proof paper. I gave these away for Christmas presents.

I've just this morning got the sloe gin and blackberry vodka going. We went sloe picking with lots of friends yesterday and usually get enough for three bottles but this year the sloes were thin on the ground and we only got enough for one bottle.

--------------------
My life.

Posts: 658 | From: Ambridge | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Low Treason
Shipmate
# 11924

- Posted      Profile for Low Treason   Email Low Treason   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wiff Waff:
quote:
Originally posted by Ferijen:

It will be wonderful for enhancing things like custard - make custard then whisk in some vanilla powder and some real cream - YUMMY!

There must be a zillion other uses but my brain has seized - except for home made vanilla ice cream, or home made vanilla frozen yogurt!

I'm sure others will be along shortly to give other suggestions.

You don't [EMAIL]have[/EMAIL] to await consignments of vanilla powder from Bali, you can buy vanilla pods and make your own vanilla sugar. Even Tesco sells them (at a price..)

Just put the pods in an airtight container covered with the sugar, and its ready to use in a day or two.

Vanilla enhances the flavour of chocolate things such as cakes and puddings.

--------------------
He brought me to the banqueting house, and His banner over me was love.

Posts: 1914 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
frin

Drinking coffee for Jesus
# 9

- Posted      Profile for frin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Doris:
Does anyone have any good and simple recipes for making sweets and/or chocolates? I am thinking about making some for friends for Christmas.

Auntie Doris x

Lakeland sell chocolate moulds at the moment, which could make simple flavoured chocolate look great. e.g. good dark chocolate with grated crystallized ginger mixed in.

My question is:
I'm going to a harvest meal where we need to bring something to eat or drink from our own crop of whatever we've been growing. I've been super lazy this year so I have apples and mint. Everyone else also has apples, so I wondered about focussing on the mint - what would you make with an abundant home grown mint crop? Cocktails? Icecream? Ideas and recipes welcome.

'frin

--------------------
"Even the crocodile looks after her young" - Lamentations 4, remembering Erin.

Posts: 4496 | From: a library | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

I did a lot of this, this summer - (It's sort of tzatziki, but the cookbook - a Greek one - doesn't actually call it that).

1 cucumber
1 small onion or shallot
loads of mint
greek yoghourt

Chop the cucumber and onion, finely chop the mint, mix into the yoghourt.

Alternatively, in a glass, mash together lime juice, sugar and mint. Add rum. Personally, I would stop there, but some people go on to add ice and fizzy water.

Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

A veggie friend is expecting baby no. 2 shortly and I'd like to take them round some food for when there's no time to think, let alone cook.

Does anyone have any suggestions for simple, one-pot veggie meals that are easy to freeze and reheat? I've got a good minestrone recipe but would like to do something else as well. Thanks!

--------------------
Nea Fox

Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What about a vegetarian chilli - use lots of kidney beans, Quorn mince if they like it, or just extra veggies if they don't.
Or a vegetarian red-bean moussaka. (Slightly more original than a veggie lasagne) Make a sauce with kidney beans (crushed slightly) tomatoes, cinnamon, red wine, herbs, onions etc. Layer with a bechael sauce and fried aubergine slices (or boiled potato slices if you prefer) Grated chhese on top.They need to bazke for about 30 minutes at about 180°

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Suzywoozy:
I mentioned on the New Little Britain thread that I had made a yummy parsnip cake and had requests for the recipe so here it is.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup grated parsnip (I made parsnip crisps with the big ends of three parsnips and used the bottom ends for this)

7 tbsp margarine
2 cups SR flour
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup raisins (I'd run out so used currents)
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp mixed spice
1 cup water

Put everything except the flour and salt in a pan. heat gently until melted. Put salt and flour in a bowl add melted ingredients. Stir until just mixed. Pour into a tray. cook for 35-40 mins at 160 deg C.

I have to say that my oven is rubbish and only cooks from the top so it stayed in a lot longer and got covered with foil half way through.

This made a sticky, kind of treacly tasting cake. Everyone here loved it - it didn't taste of parsnips at all. Parsnips were on special offer in Morrison last week so we have rather a lot.

I can confirm that this is indeed yummy - I've just made it with part of a giant parsnip from my allotment and of course I had to sample it before taking it into w*rk [Smile]
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Keren-Happuch:
A veggie friend is expecting baby no. 2 shortly and I'd like to take them round some food for when there's no time to think, let alone cook.

Does anyone have any suggestions for simple, one-pot veggie meals that are easy to freeze and reheat? I've got a good minestrone recipe but would like to do something else as well. Thanks!

Not a recipe as such but for something filling and warming that could be frozen and then brought out, how about Shepherdess Pie. It is Shepherds pie with beans and/or lentils replacing the mince.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curious Kitten
Shipmate
# 11953

- Posted      Profile for Curious Kitten     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My Chinese flatmates stirfry lettuce.

--------------------
Happiness is not having what we want but wanting what we have.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Keren-Happuch, for your veggie friends, what about home-made macaroni cheese? Mix in some fried mushrooms and onions and finish it off by grating extra cheese over the top, and decorate it with sliced tomatoes. If you give it to them as it is, all they need do is put it in the oven until the top bubbles nicely.

[Smile]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  41  42  43 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016