homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Through the Lens (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  10  11  12 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Through the Lens
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've only had one Escheresc photo actually work for me.

[ 14. June 2011, 03:18: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
I've only had one Escheresc photo actually work for me.

Likewise and that was more by good luck than good management. I was experimenting with my new camera. I do like the picking up the same colour at the bottom of the stairs as is at top.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This one was from last year, but I did get a few reflections in puddles in the past week or so, three out of I don't know how many I took, I liked enough to put up. They are in that same set, together with a water droplet I was pleased with (which I won't link to, because the poor hosts don't like it)

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Lothlorian, that is a seriously cool photo.

CK, I like that one and the droplet, but I think the Zinfandel my favorite of your Escher type pics. It is as if the building in the glass does not exist in the scene. Or is an alternate version of the actual building. Very M.C.E.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you, lilBuddha - I put that lot together because, for my sins, I'm trying to teach a unit on photography, based on mirrors and reflections, and studying M C Escher, so showing how it works is part of the what I need to do. (It's one unit of four of an entry level art and design course, and just as I've put everything together, the syllabus has changed, but fortunately this bit is still in the new qualification.)

I'm also amused, because there's a droplet photo in popular now, which has a sparkle on it - like one of mine - and the guy is so pleased he got flare! I didn't realise it was all that special.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I recently discovered that you can put up videos that you have put on youtube as well as photos........could be a bad thing

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

We noticed - I watched the tortoise video

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't know that I have just one figure who influences me, I think it is all a bit more mushy for me - what I'd like is a decent camera back so I can have a go at more! Another complication in that yesterday morning when I switched on the system one of the power boards went fiiizzz-phut! and then the UPS wouldn't work so I am currently working on Ye Olde Laptoppe - I managed to take some photos yesterday in the [flooded] city but will wait until the UPS man has been later this morning before I download, choose and then upload.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've just bought a replacement compact camera as my last one suddenly developed a mark that looked like a burn on my photos. It's a nice camera, but annoyingly it doesn't come with a separate battery charger, you have to plug it into the computer. Also the manual is on a CD as a pdf.

I suppose this is standard practice now but I can't say I like it. It's not terribly helpful if you're on holiday and haven't brought the pc with you.

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I finally gave up spool film cameras recently when my latest one gave up the ghost. For several years it has been rather erratic, and somehow had a spider's leg caught in the lens. So every photo I took looked as if the attack of the giant killer spider was about to happen at each tourist spot (and every family gathering) in the British Isles.

Digital is so much cheaper! And the zoom facility is ace.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My daughter in BC Canada bought herself a superior camera and did a web-based photography course so she became used to taking a lot of photos every day and choosing the best first for her tutor and then for the 365 Project. The kids make great subjects, but anything can turn up – after a busy day recently it was the light on a glass of wine.

We love checking out on the day's photos.

(After I bought myself a good camera I developed a Benign Essential Tremor, which makes photography difficult – and it's not convenient to cart around a tripod. Pity – I was a keen photographer in my younger days.)

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I like the contrast of curved, shiny leaves and straight lines and boxes here. This is outside my door looking down to garden on floor below. Mid morning today on a grey day.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Galloping Granny:
(After I bought myself a good camera I developed a Benign Essential Tremor, which makes photography difficult – and it's not convenient to cart around a tripod. Pity – I was a keen photographer in my younger days.)

What a shame. Tripods make it so much easier - I just bought one and it's really useful for indoor photography (haven't felt brave enough to try it outside yet).

[ 15. June 2011, 10:57: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The little mini-tripods are great! I prefer the non-bendy ones but both sorts are useful. We have a proper sized one and a monopod as well - the monopod is great for HWMBO's camcorder so I don't get the chance to use it much.

I got a call today and the old Canon S3 1S is ready to collect from the camera clinic so I will go and get that tomorrow or Saturday, sadly the Fuji will be another week. Anyway when I go and collect the Canon I may get a new mini-tripod as mine fell apart after many years service and I have been borrowing Nephew Person's one but he needed it so took it back - I'd only had it 18 months or so [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
I like the contrast of curved, shiny leaves and straight lines and boxes here. This is outside my door looking down to garden on floor below. Mid morning today on a grey day.

Playing with contrasting shapes, colours and textures is fun!

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Michael Snow
Shipmate
# 16363

- Posted      Profile for Michael Snow   Author's homepage         Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
I'm just thinking of having a go at Project 365, I registered today; I'm an ardent taker of photos and have been since I got a Brownie 127 as a present when I was 11, over half a century ago!...

Do we really have to go into the 'half a century' bit? (I try to ignor that)

My first camera, well, the one I used first was my folks, was a Brownie Flash Six-20. Years later I was very disappointed to find that my mother had put it in the Goodwill. I have one now, found it on Ebay.

Second camera was again my folks Argus C-3.

After a few instamatic years, I got my Nikkormat FT 2 in 1976. I still have it and also a Nikon FA.

And, finally, had digital Kodak Z712 supersoom which was stolen in Germany in Feb. and I replaced it with a Panasonic FZ35.

And I still shoot some film:

See mikesnow.org the venice shot there is film as are the other night shots in the link.

I thought about starting the 365 thing in Germany but was having internet problems at the guesthaus. Just stared thinking about it the other day.

--------------------
http://spurgeonwarquotes.wordpress.com/

Posts: 62 | From: S. Dak./ Romania | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Michael Snow
Shipmate
# 16363

- Posted      Profile for Michael Snow   Author's homepage         Edit/delete post 
If my half century plus wasn't wearing on me, I'd go back and correct my typos.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Superb photos, Michael

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
Superb photos, Michael

Yes indeed.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Very nice photos Michael!

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

lilBuddha, you were muttering that you were cheating putting up fillers, but if you look, quite a few of the shots that reach the popular page have been taken months if not years ago. The latest competition, some of the nicest shots are going to end up disqualified because the competitions usually give dates for taking and uploading the pictures. One of the recent arrivals who is being featured on New Faces a lot seems to be uploading their favourite shots from the past several years.

I'm not sure it's cheating, but it means you won't be able to look back on the year and see improvements, or get anything out of the blogging aspects

--------------------

Michael Snow
Shipmate
# 16363

Thanks, everyone, for the generous comments.

And thanks lilBudda for teaching me sometning today. In my sheltered world I had not heard of an
Escheresc photo. I am jealous.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

My favourites on 365 project (link in my sig) is full of Escheresc photos. I didn't favourite all of them either.

--------------------

nomadicgrl
Shipmate
# 7623

- Posted      Profile for nomadicgrl   Email nomadicgrl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
lilBuddha, I liked your question about photographic influences. I certainly haven't been able to emulate his work, but I'm very inspired by Steve McCurry. I have a book of his portraits and the intimacy with which he captures his subjects is amazing. It's funny, I didn't realize that the 365 site had an Art Theme based on his style until a post by Curiosity killed... mentioned it. I've enjoyed seeing the Escher style photos people have linked to here. Another inspiration is using photo sharing sites and forums to search for subjects and styles and see what people are doing with them.

Mikesnow, wonderful photos, thanks for sharing. I sometimes think about pulling out my old film camera, mainly to try a roll of infared - I know you can replicate the effect in Post Processing, but I like the unpredictability of the film.

If you choose to print a digital photo, what makes you choose it for that? Do you tend to print to frame and hang on the wall, or to put in an album?

Posts: 437 | From: Living in the land of Anne (with an e) | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
nomadicgrl
Shipmate
# 7623

- Posted      Profile for nomadicgrl   Email nomadicgrl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sorry, Michael Snow, I was going by memory for your name, and when I tried to correct it in editing I hit flood control [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
The care of another,even material, bodily care is spiritual in essence. Bread for myself is a material question; bread for my neighbor is a spiritual one.- Jacques Maritain

Posts: 437 | From: Living in the land of Anne (with an e) | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Yay! Sunshine today for about the first time in ten or so days. It's blowing a gale but I've been out and about with the camera, trying different settings and angles for photos. The wind has blown a few cobwebs out of my head too.

There was an article in this morning's paper about a woman trying photos in a different suburb each week for a year. OK if one has a car. I don't.

A few years ago, a man in his 90s walked every street in 287 Sydney suburb and has photos and stories. Have a poke around on his site under secrets. Lots of interesting pictures.

[ 18. June 2011, 04:35: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I've got my Canon S3 back!!

The part cost two thousand rupees, including p&p from Japan and another five hundred for the fitting for a total of under 35 UK pounds so I'm a happy bunny. I also got a new mini tripod only available today in bright yellow, which just happens to be one of my favourite colours; I had to walk right across town to get it but it was worth it.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Can anyone else access the 365 site or is it just me who can't?
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Nope, I can't either - it's meant the website is up-to-date very early this week!

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Thanks for that - I have an idiosyncratic connection that won't let me access a few sites, so good to know it hasn't just added this to the list.
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Thanks for that - I have an idiosyncratic connection that won't let me access a few sites, so good to know it hasn't just added this to the list.

I've tried several times this afternoon but can't get through let alone upload the photo I took on way to church this morning.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

No access from here either - hopefully this afternoon or evening.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Just got through and uploaded. Just as well, it's 8:28 pm and my photo would have been a day late if uploaded tomorrow. [Frown]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

The software doesn't mind at all, thankfully - I uploaded a day late one day this week but the photo was from the missed day, if that makes any sort of sense.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

It's not a problem. I uploaded three days' worth yesterday and started by uploading one accidentally with tomorrow's date! People often upload a week's worth or so when they come back from holiday - you're fine.
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Can someone enlighten me about lens filters please? Would you say they are generally a useful thing to have - and if you use them, what sort do you use?
nomadicgrl
Shipmate
# 7623

quote:
Can someone enlighten me about lens filters please? Would you say they are generally a useful thing to have - and if you use them, what sort do you use?

I've used a circular polarizer filter before, and am saving up for one to fit my current main camera lens. They add a richness to skies that is hard to replicate any other way - even in processing.
They can also help minimize/maximize reflections.

I know some who also swear by graduated neutral density filter - this filter darkens part of the scene and leaves the other half with "as is lighting", used for bringing down the exposure of an overly bright sky for example. There used to be lots of special effects filters too (like ones that made a kaleidoscope effect)but I think those have fallen off the radar now that software can do the same thing.

--------------------
The care of another,even material, bodily care is spiritual in essence. Bread for myself is a material question; bread for my neighbor is a spiritual one.- Jacques Maritain

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

I like non-graduated neutral density filters. They allow for the reduction of light on a bright day. This allows one to use a slower shutter speed.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:

I'm not sure it's cheating, but it means you won't be able to look back on the year and see improvements, or get anything out of the blogging aspects

Cheating for my purposes, for that which I am trying to accomplish. Not that I have played completely by the rules. There are several instance, including what I am about to upload, I have spread shots from one day across several. Those, however, have been within the parameters I set for myself.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
(Art shot of the washing machine, anyone? [Ultra confused] )

stick the self timer on, as wide an angle as possible, and put the camera in the machine for a picture looking outwards [Biased]

(obviously don't turn the washing machine on [Eek!] )

[ 22. June 2011, 21:06: Message edited by: Wet Kipper ]

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

On a DSLR a UV or sunlight filter is a very useful thing to have, if for nothing else than to stop dust or scratches gettting on the actual lens front.
I got one of mine in a set which came with a "warm" filter which is a bit orangey and I've never used, and a circular polarising filter which helped give the "deeper as you get higher" sky colouring in this picture as well as the rainbow effects in the canopy

I've also recently bought a set up close-up filters, which are essentially magnifying glasses to stick on the end of the lens, but haven't tried playing with them yet.

I'm fond of long exposure pictures, so should probably invest in an ND filter to cut down on the amount of light and allow for slower shutter speeds

[ 22. June 2011, 21:26: Message edited by: Wet Kipper ]

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Does this mean you're coming to join us on 365?

--------------------

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

I neither have the time nor the self discipline to take a photo a day and upload them. Look at my Flickr stream - it's over a year since I put anything up there ! (though I have been sticking some on facebook since then)

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by Wet Kipper:
I neither have the time nor the self discipline to take a photo a day and upload them. Look at my Flickr stream - it's over a year since I put anything up there ! (though I have been sticking some on facebook since then)

Well I do have the time now, although my days fill up quite quickly. Certainly it's a discipline and as I'm learning, the discipline helps. However, I have on occasion used shots from one day spread over several entries. The project is an aid to me, not an exercise to see if I can take a picture every day, although I try. I'm not beating myself up if I don't do that.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Wet Kipper:
I neither have the time nor the self discipline to take a photo a day and upload them.

I do not either. Not doing too bad though.

ETA: I do have the time. It is the self discipline I am working on.

[ 23. June 2011, 04:32: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

That makes two of us lil buddha.

Having just moved to living on my own for the first time ever, it's just one more thing I'm adjusting to. Most of the time I think this is a help as I'm learning new habits to get myself established, but sometimes it all seems a bit too much to handle.

Especially this week when I've been sorting out direct debits, a cancelled debit card through nothing I've done, a courier's extreme rudeness, wrong model heater delivered and the fallout from that and babysitting #1 son when his wife wasn't home. I spent a whole afternoon on phone chasing things up yesterday.

Son has just had second major surgery in three months and while he's coping fairly well, neither she nor I is happy leaving him by himself while he's still on two separate strong morphine medications.

[ 23. June 2011, 06:30: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Yes, it's the self-discipline that is the problem - but it is making me get out and do it a bit more than perhaps I might otherwise.

Yes, I know there are plenty of subjects inside the house but I am coming to the conclusion that I am more of an outdoor photographer than an indoor one.

...and it is more snaps than photographs - but I am quite happy with that.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Thanks for all the interesting information about filters. A polarizing lens sounds as if it could be quite useful.

The one-a-day thing so far has come pretty much as a welcome break in the day – it gets me out more and also you end up actively seeking out things that might be beautiful or interesting. Taking a picture a day is no big deal as I’ve had a camera with me every day for a few years now anyway. Winter is likely to be a drag though – those overcast days with little or no sun that all look alike.

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

I carry the camera with me all the time anyway. The one a day is making me go out for a wander between one job and the next thing, rather than walk from one job to the next to home to prepare for the next day, and that's got to keep me saner in the long term. And every so often I find such joys as the street cleaner having his coffee break.

--------------------

nomadicgrl
Shipmate
# 7623

I'm not finding it hard to be good about taking the photo a day, though I'm not perfect at it yet, but the uploading - converting from RAW - editing if needed - and then posting, that I regularly fall behind on.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  10  11  12 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016