homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » AS: Job Search Support Thread (Page 41)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  38  39  40  41  42  43  44  45  46 

Source: (consider it) Thread: AS: Job Search Support Thread
Malin

Shipmate
# 11769

- Posted      Profile for Malin   Email Malin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ah I see - tough one there, can't apply for the good jobs without the OOW qualification, can't get the qualification unless someone basically gives you a job and pays for your training. Sailing is such a passion for people I can imagine a pool of them willing to work for peanuts to crew square riggers.

There is the Royal Navy of course but they have moved on a tad from sailing ships and do have a slightly unfortunate habit of being called into war zones which might not be your cup of tea....

--------------------
'Is it a true bird or is it something that exists within a-'
'It's a thing that is,' said Granny sharply. 'Don't go spilling allegory all down your shirt.' Terry Pratchett

Posts: 1901 | From: Norwich | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
- and you don't get merchant tickets if you work in the Royal Navy. Bizarre, eh?

I think the worst bit is the horrible feeling of not knowing what I'm going to be doing. I've never had that before - I was offered a job before I finished music college, and I had some teaching jobs while I was still there which carried on afterwards, and since then I've never had a time of uncertain no-job-ness.

Also, every trip we have new volunteers on the boat, who all know I finish at the end of November and, being nice people, they all ask what I'm doing after I finish - so every week I get reminded x number of times that I still haven't found anything to do.

Sent off another C.V. tonight - for deckhand work again. We'll see how that goes [Help]

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Malin

Shipmate
# 11769

- Posted      Profile for Malin   Email Malin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Limbo and uncertainty is tough. I feel in limbo too - I am trying to settle the kids into the new area, house, playgroups, trying to make new friends and give them some secure routines (things are starting up this next week or two after the school holidays) - but I've this interview Tuesday for a job with 16 hours per week of an unknown pattern. I can't phone childminders or nurseries until I know what days/half days/evenings/weekends they would need me to work.

Worse case scenario is they want me but I can't be as flexible as the job needs to cover childcare. The more I study for this interview the more I want the job, and want to be back working outside the home again.

Ah well. Que sera. I thought the last part time job I interviewed for was perfect, but it wasn't meant to be.

--------------------
'It's a thing that is,' said Granny sharply. 'Don't go spilling allegory all down your shirt.' Terry Pratchett

Malin

Shipmate
# 11769

All done. Should hear tomorrow if they want me, if not then it's the wait for the 'Thank you but no thank you' letter by the end of the week. I shall be staring at my phone tomorrow willing it to ring.

I think it went ok. The two interviewers wrote a lot of notes and had good poker faces so I've no idea how I match up to what they want. You can always think of great things to add once you have finished can't you? Ah well. What will be will be.

--------------------

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hope you've had some good news Malin.

As well as the application submitted a couple of weeks ago (I'm holding onto the fact that academia seems to take forever to shortlist!), I have spotted a couple of postdocs going in another department in my old faculty (college, school, whatever it's called this week). Some days I think it's a long shot, others I think it's got my name on it, either way I shall sort out the application over the weekend (closing date is the end of the month) and see what happens. Now that we seem to be moving forward with the house moving (still snail's pace, but right direction and it will speed up hopefully in the next week) I am faced with a not-ideal commute if I stay in my current job. However with the new motorway extension now open it has apparently made journeys loads easier for other colleagues living out that way, so that's not as daunting as before. Which I guess is good, though it means that using the commute as an excuse to leave is more feeble now! Ho hum. I am fed up of the whole merry-go-round, having (more or less) decided what I want to do, it is very difficult to be patient until I get there.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Malin

Shipmate
# 11769

Didn't get the job. High standard of candidates etc. I think the interview went well so not too full of regret, but it is so disappointing. I'd been researching that area of work again for the interview and getting myself all passionate about it. I could see a plan for further career type options in the future too and how all my experience and training would benefit the role.

Waiting and hoping something possible comes up SOON.

Jack - sounds an exhausting process but hopeful that so many possibles are floating around for you. Wisdom for the process!

--------------------

Persephone Hazard

Ship's Wench
# 4648

- Posted      Profile for Persephone Hazard   Author's homepage   Email Persephone Hazard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's neverending, isn't it? I've been jobhunting till my brain turned to mush for a couple of months now to no avail; I've applied for hundreds of jobs and had precisely one interview.

Things feel a little like they might be moving now, though - I'm in talks with two different agencies that might actually lead to some temp work at long last, and there's another job I'm very likely to get an interview for at the end of the month.

If I get that one, it would mean a 400 mile move and the upheaval of my entire life. Which I'm thinking about for other reasons, not this job - it's just admin - but I'd need work up there before I could, of course.

[ 09. September 2011, 23:27: Message edited by: Persephone Hazard ]

--------------------
A picture is worth a thousand words, but it's a lot easier to make up a thousand words than one decent picture. - ken.

Posts: 1645 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh God... I'm at the waiting to hear, and fairly sure it's bad news phase. Hell, it's in the bloody department I now shovel shite in so they have no excuse for not letting me know!

Assuming I'm right and I don't have it, I now have nothing at all on the table for the first time in about six months - nothing pending, no applications in, no interviews coming up... I can't feel my mood going all over the place and the irrational anger building already, I didn't sleep last night... this will not be fun.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
The Kat in the Hat
Shipmate
# 2557

- Posted      Profile for The Kat in the Hat   Email The Kat in the Hat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I do supply teaching from choice. There isn't much (if any) around at the moment. Last year was the same, then it did pick up, but I could really do with at least one day a week soon!!

--------------------
Less is more ...

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, it was bad news, but for I think the first time ever the PI actually phoned me to break the news himself, and I was able to drop over and have a chat with him by way of feedback (this is opposed to the admin person elsewhere who seemed put out when I pointed out that "They were very pleased to meet you" didn't count as constructive feedback. They'd have been very pleased to see the tea lady, I expect...).

I need to find a Sandemaniac-shaped niche, it seems... Ho hum, I seem to have got the misery out of the way Monday and tuesday, so I shall go and do something less depressing instead. Like make real photos in a darkroom...

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Kat in the Hat:
I do supply teaching from choice. There isn't much (if any) around at the moment. Last year was the same, then it did pick up, but I could really do with at least one day a week soon!!

Me too

I went on supply this year so that I can concentrate on my studies.

September is always quiet for supply teaching - the regular teachers manage to drag themselves in for a week or two!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have sent off another postdoc application today. I suspect it is a longshot - I didn't get shortlisted for one that pretty much had my name on it (I thought), and this one certainly doesn't have my name on it as obviously as the last one, but I guess if I'm not in the pool I have no chance, so we'll see. I was feeling very down about not getting shortlisted for the other one, but life goes on. What's for me won't go by me, as they say up here. I wish it would hurry up though! If nothing comes of this I found another research job, which again is a long shot but not impossible. We'll see. Sigh.

Once we have moved house I am very seriously considering leaving my current main job. I have enough OU tutoring to be able to afford to do that for a few months, and it would give me time to write and try and get myself published (lack of publications is one of the main reasons I suspect behind either not being shortlisted or being pipped at the interview stage). I just need to get through the next couple of months of job I'm unhappy in, OU tutoring which will be hard while I'm also working, and moving house. So no stress here then [Smile]

--------------------
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sounds like we need to do another coffee & Cake session, Jack!
Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

Good idea. Especially the Cake with capital C [Big Grin]

--------------------
wiblog blipfoto blog

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I do supply teaching from choice.

Me too, when the theatres are dark and the convention centre is not open. I have been doing it as a second career for eleven terms and I almost always enjoy it. It's always fun to see kids that remember me from the previous terms. I am one of a v. small number of male supply teachers in the grammar schools.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Kat in the Hat
Shipmate
# 2557

- Posted      Profile for The Kat in the Hat   Email The Kat in the Hat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
quote:

Me too

I went on supply this year so that I can concentrate on my studies.

September is always quiet for supply teaching - the regular teachers manage to drag themselves in for a week or two!

A day & a half in September - better than last year! but please let it pick up soon!!

--------------------
Less is more ...

Persephone Hazard

Ship's Wench
# 4648

- Posted      Profile for Persephone Hazard   Author's homepage   Email Persephone Hazard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sigh. Didn't get the job I was after.

I shouldn't be surprised, really, and I wish I'd prepared myself better for not getting it - I stupidly let myself be bought in by people going "no, think positively! I'm sure you will!".

Sigh.

--------------------
A picture is worth a thousand words, but it's a lot easier to make up a thousand words than one decent picture. - ken.

Posts: 1645 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There is still very little supply teaching work out there - I have averaged a day a week since the beginning of term. Mr Boog is being made redundant in March. So I've applied for a part time job (permanent) and have an interview on Friday. They are going to watch me teach a lesson on Thursday.

I haven't told anyone in case I don't get it!

(Except you, of course, my dear Shipmates [Big Grin] )

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

Good luck Boogie - everything crossed here for you.

--------------------
wiblog blipfoto blog

Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There's nothing quite like the church to kill a job application... I've had periods "between jobs"; the kirk has always found a use for my spare time and I've enjoyed the work. Sitting on a GA Special Committee and being a member of a board were briefly full time (unpaid) occupations while there were no other bids for my mind and body. However, in Canada, if you so much as mention that, the application is automatically dropped. I reckoned that I should have told prospective employers that I'd been in jail for two years, as they're not allowed to discriminate against rehabilitated criminals. At one interview, I was asked what I knew about conflict resolution. The real answer was "Not much", but I told the HR creature that I'd attended a course on it. When he asked for details and I told him the it had been sponsored by the presbytery, the interview was over.

I should probably have posted this in the Hell forum.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

Aaaaand, another "not shortlisted" email. I suppose the one good thing about evil online applications is that it doesn't cost them anything to email a rejection, which is at least better than not knowing one way or the other.

Back to the drawing board. One part-time and one full-time postdoc still to apply for (closing dates end Oct/beginning Nov). Ho hum.

--------------------
wiblog blipfoto blog

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by Jack the Lass:
Aaaaand, another "not shortlisted" email. I suppose the one good thing about evil online applications is that it doesn't cost them anything to email a rejection, which is at least better than not knowing one way or the other.

[Frown] [Votive]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

Thanks Boogie. Realistically it was a long shot, but I *did* meet all the essential criteria so I wasn't without hope. But I did also know that they would get hundreds and hundreds of applicants.

Never mind. Onwards and upwards! At least there are a couple more applications in the pipeline, which always makes me feel better.

Good luck to everyone else on this merrygoround. [Votive]

--------------------
wiblog blipfoto blog

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

I didn't get it - so onwards and upwards here too!

I don't find myself disappointed at all - which makes me think that deep down I wasn't keen enough anyway - hmmm ...

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

I happened to run into someone today who I've not seen for a while, and was (probably excessively) pleased to hear that the unfortunate who got one job I was interviewed for is hating it, it's not what was advertised at all. A lucky escape, methinks. Meanwhile, although my wallet is considerably less fit than it was, I am mentally and physically fitter than I've been in years - to the point where I've just taken my belt in a hole. I wasn't overweight in the first place but for someone about to hit their fifth decade I'm more than a little pleased with that, especially as I usually gain a bit when the cricket season ends.

AG

--------------------

The Kat in the Hat
Shipmate
# 2557

Supply is starting to pick up - I'm getting asked back by name!! [Yipee]

--------------------
Less is more ...

luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This evening I go back to work for the last time on the Sail Training boat I've worked on for nearly two years. My job is a two-year role, and my last day is the 18th November.
So far, I've not found anything else. I've heard back from two ships I'd sent my CV to - Bounty and Endeavour , the first asking if I had working privelages for the USA, and the second asking if I was interested in a job starting on November 3rd (ten days away at that point). I replied to both saying was in the UK and saying I was happy to try to sort visa-type stuff out and asking how long a period a job would be for, but neither have got back to me. I didn't really expect that either of those emails would result in a job, but I had hoped that they might reply to me.
I did take heart from both of those that someone had responded, but as much as it was encouraging, encouraging's not going to earn me any money.
Gah [Frown]

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I work as a student employment counsellor. I assist students with resumes, cover letters, job search and interview preparation. I'm glad I happened upon this thread.
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

You may live to regret saying that, Caissa! Some of us seem to be beyond help...

I wonder how Og is getting on - haven't heard from him in a while. Any news?

AG

Wot no sig?

Malin

Shipmate
# 11769

Right. I've spotted another charity job that meets my small children criteria ...

ie, part time and pays enough to cover the childcare and commute costs, so wouldn't be losing money while working, just breaking even.

Looks interesting and I think I'd be good at it, but it isn't a straight leap from my previous experience so it depends how well I can write up my work history to fit it and who else applies with better fitting history.

Now to throw off this awful cold and find a moment to write the application form and 'supporting statement'. Giving examples of how I meet the person specification and job description with detailed examples from my work history ... apparantly they are presuming nothing. Here's hoping they have an open mind .....

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Best of luck, Malin. [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hmmm......things seem to be moving apace on the starting my own business front. Weird as I had no thought of doing that when this all started. Have to wait until June to start it but lots of time to do research and work up connections.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good on you, Og - hope it all works out for you. [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Yes, go for it, Og! Good luck!

I've got an interview coming up, for a job where I think I'm probably the outside candidate, but the Senior Scientist offering it used Cc instead of Bcc when he sent out some extra details to the candidates, so I know there are only three of us... It also involves some scary maths, which will go against me, but if I can find the right help I'm sure I can beat that.

Apparently we are likely to be asked questions about how the work detailed in the grant proposal fits in with our scientific ambitions. While entirely true, I can't help thinking that "It's lab work, which is what I want to do again, rather than collecting waste" will NOT be the right answer!

AG

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Caissa,

I realise your expertise is in students, and you are on the oher side of the pond if I read your location right (New Brunswick?), but I was wondering whether you know of any tools that can link people to lines of work by skills rather than degrees? The careers service here, being a uni, rely on Prospects Planner which realy and truly is probably best suited to people considering what degree to take... so when you've been out of uni nearly twenty years it just generates a list of stuff that I'm now overqualified for (and I know of someone at least a decade older who was asked to fill it in, which is getting plain silly!).

AG

--------------------

Malin

Shipmate
# 11769

Spent all afternoon wrestling an online pdf application form that won't let me write on it ..... I have downloaded software, updated adobe acrobat, checked it's security settings, jiggled the preferences, saved to everywhere, downloaded, googled, tried saving to word etc etc etc.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh. I had a few hours childfree to work on it and I didn't even get as far as my name. My only consolation is it might put off other people from applying!

Have now emailed it to someone who has other software which might do the trick.

Deep breath in and wait...

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Good luck Malin!

[Votive]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Malin

Shipmate
# 11769

Right. After downloading random top of the range software found via google I was able to complete the awkward pdf application form. I'm sending it in tomorrow and crossing my fingers for an interview.

Having spent all week immersing myself in the world of youth work again I am really keen to do the job, but then I was really keen to do the last two I applied for too but I didn't get them.

Que sera.

[ 21. November 2011, 19:13: Message edited by: Malin ]

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Well, I still haven't heard anything from Friday's interview, so I shall assume that it's a no. However, literally as I was telling someone that once again I had nothing on the table, I opened my email and there was the offer of another one on Monday (yes, I do mean literally - I told him, looked away to click on my inbox, and there it was). So who knows?

AG

--------------------

Pure Sunshine
Shipmate
# 11904

- Posted      Profile for Pure Sunshine     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[brick wall]
After looking up and down the five pages of All Saints for this thread, I now come upon it here on page one! Like Jack the Lass, I am looking for a postdoctoral academic job; I'm also looking for a job in the meantime - probably some kind of temporary office work. No luck so far, I suspect there are more people looking than when I was last temping. I should be filling in an application for one thing or the other right now: I'm having a low-motivation day ...

Posts: 472 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
Caissa,

I realise your expertise is in students, and you are on the oher side of the pond if I read your location right (New Brunswick?), but I was wondering whether you know of any tools that can link people to lines of work by skills rather than degrees? ....
AG

Hmmm....

I guess I can also weigh in here as its not really counselling.

This is very contextual to Canada at this point but...here goes.

People will tell you everybody can do every job. I personally don't believe that, but I do believe everybody has a skill set level that can succeed at many jobs.

Thinking in Canada right now is most jobs require certain levels of basic essential skills. However, people tend to pick a job based on the job description first, rather then the skill set they have. So, the government, working with industry has looked at this from the perspective of what skills are needed to do x, rather then what jobs can use x skills.

This Canadian government website describes the basic skills people use in the workplace. There is a link there to skills profiles, which describe the current Canadian expectations of what a good employee in a certain field requires.

There is also a link to a decent self test.

Unfortunately, we older career changers tend to know who we are and want to find the job that fits us, as against knowing what we want to do and then get the skills that fit that. Our particular situation actually fits very well into the results found from the traditional skill tests, where they test us and say "Well, you'd be good at x." Unfortunately, those are very expensive, when what we really need are the comparing of skills to what jobs we can do.

All I can ultimately suggest is if you know who you are, find a job you might be interested in and test out on the skills profiles whether you fit.

I know its not what you are looking for, but its something.

[ 24. November 2011, 02:12: Message edited by: Og: Thread Killer ]

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Thanks Og, I will take the time to read your post, digest carefully, and look at the links because I think there are some unacknowledged truths in there that need to be handled with appropriate care!

I didn't get last Friday's job - there were two (of two...) people ahead of me with more experience in what was really wanted. So it seems that once again I was the odd candidate out. Ah well - now to move on to Mondays, where I should be a much better fit.

Today's earworm seems apt - I keep getting to "I could ha' b'n someone!" "Well, so could anyone". Hmm. Analyse that.

AG

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Ho hum. Four days post interview, and not a squeak in return (I had one interview at this department where they took ten weeks to reply, despite prodding, and I eventually got a one line reply from someone who couldn't spell "Over-sight" - which isn't something that reflects well on them even when spelt correctly).

Suddenly I'm as frustrated as I've been for months. It's a bloody good job we don't have a cat, or I'd have kicked the poor thing. The current job is getting boring, I'm ceasing to care, and sliding back into old ways. Buggerbuggerbugger!

AG

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

Sandemaniac [Frown] bugger indeed.

I have just sent off yet another application, this time for a lecturer position (there are both FT and PT posts advertised, I applied for the FT but said in my cover letter I was happy to be considered for either). It's at my old uni, in a dept which was slated for closure and reprieved for a year, as far as I can tell they are being repositioned in order for a further reprieve, but I figure even if they do close next year if I can at least get some decent experience it would be good. Meantime I have formally requested a reduction in my hours at my clinical job, I am expecting this will be declined (I meet my boss to discuss next week) but they may be able to slot me in somewhere else. I really want a substantial reduction in hours so I can concentrate on getting myself published. I am lucky that my OU tutoring means I can afford to do this, and I really want to leave my job, but it will be a wrench as my team are so good and if I don't get a decent academic job *and* give up the clinical job then that broken service will mean I go back to the bottom of the salary rung again should I go back. If I can keep a day a week then I can stay on my same grade (bottom+1, so not exactly tons more, but it's the principle!).

Sod it, I just want the full time lecturer job, but without the publications I'm not sure I'll even be shortlisted. It's one of those rock/hard place things.

--------------------
wiblog blipfoto blog

Malin

Shipmate
# 11769

Job application deadline was last Thursday. Still nothing in the post so I guess that's no interview then. I wish they just emailed you a NO.

Back to the drawing board again.

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Words much worse than bugger come to mind... I am still waiting to hear from Monday's Intervew, despite emailing the head of group yesterday (and who isn't answering phone calls...). I've also just phoned someone at an agency to be told that the person in charge of PR where they sent my CV reckoned that I was "too experienced" for the position.

Jesus wept! I'm autoclaving fucking waste for a job at the moment! I hope you get a moron who screws you whole system up and bankrupts the company! And I don't even feel better for that vent either...

AG

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

I've got an interview on Tuesday - lovely brand new school, two days a week, Year5 class teacher, just what I need.

:fingerscrossedsmiley:

For a two day a week job it's very rigorous. Morning lesson observations then - for those who get through - afternoon interview.

Once again I'm telling no-one (except you lovely people of course) as it's just easier than answering questions. Time enough to tell folk when I actually get a job!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

Good luck Boogie! [Votive]

--------------------
wiblog blipfoto blog

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

I got it!

[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

Phew - What a day, and what a relief!

Thank you so much, kind Shipmates, for all your support. It's been a hard time lately.

[Votive] [Votive] for all your job search efforts - keep on keeping on, resilience pays off!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Pure Sunshine
Shipmate
# 11904

- Posted      Profile for Pure Sunshine     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wonderful! Well done!

[Axe murder]

My own job search continues, but I'm feeling far more positive about it now!

Posts: 472 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  38  39  40  41  42  43  44  45  46 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016