homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Doctor Who: Fall 2013 (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  17  18  19 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Doctor Who: Fall 2013
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My companion list would feature:

1) River Song. Scene-stealing, sophisticated, capable, confident, wonderful River. OK she's Amy Pond's daughter, but she can't help that.

2) Jack Harkness. Scene-stealing, sophisticated, capable, confident, lively and fun.

3) Tegan. Not everyone liked her but I thought she did the "trying to be tough but actually quite vulnerable" thing fairly well.

4) Wilf. A vote for the oldies - he was lovely, and capable in the role.

5) Turlough. What a pity we didn't see more of him. One of the more intriguing characters and a good actor as well.

[ 17. November 2013, 14:20: Message edited by: Ariel ]

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:

In modern times, Alex Kingston as River Song absolutely lights up the screen. One does not need to be a straight man to appreciate her!

No one doesn't. Though Billie Piper as Rose Tyler, Freema Agyeman as Martha Jones and Karen Gillan as Amy Pond are in the running for me as well.
A companion is part of a double act, so you can only judge a companion as to how they react to the Doctor they are with.
Though perhaps this is a good guideline, it certainly is not required. And, no, this is not meant in a libidinous way.*
One can separate the two. Anthony Hopkins and Bob Hoskins did Othello. My brain still refuses to remember them together as Hopkins was horrid and Hoskins sublime.
Yes, the Doctor/companion relationship is more directly intertwined, but one can evaluate them somewhat separately.

* Well, not completely.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:

5) Turlough. What a pity we didn't see more of him. One of the more intriguing characters and a good actor as well.

He would definitely be in my top 5, such an interesting, unpredictable character. Actually, my list is similar to yours but I'd have Martha instead of Jack

[ 17. November 2013, 15:32: Message edited by: Heavenly Anarchist ]

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hm ... Doctors and companions. A lot depends, of course, on whom you remember and how much you know. For instance, the more I see of Troughton, the more I like him. But the more I know about Tom Baker (not his characterisation, but, say, his on-set behaviour towards the end of his time), the less I like him. Having said that, Tom Baker was the actor who made Doctor Who for me. In his first few years - under Hinchcliffe and Holmes - he was amazing. There's a line in one of the Wife In Space reviews where Sue says something like "He's daring us not to take this seriously" which says a lot about what he did with the part. There are many, many moments from, say, Ark in Space through to Seeds of Doom where he defines what fans mean when they say they wish the Doctor had more "gravitas" these days. (Look at his anger in Seeds - I don't think you get anything of that quality again till Smith's chilling performance in the "Colonel Run-Away" scene of A Good Man Goes to War.)

There's also the question of how the actor managed to work with the production team. Colin Baker had a lousy production team and, in my opinion, a pretty uninspiring companion, and he wasn't quite good enough to make something good of the part in spite of that. McCoy worked far better once Andrew Cartmel settled in as script editor than he did during his first few chaotic stories. Eccleston, I think, never seemed quite to feel at home with Davies's scripts, which is a pity because he's a great actor and Davies is a great writer. Davies's writing seems to fit David Tennant better than it does Eccleston.

And then we have Mr Smith. He's suffered from confusing story arcs and variable writing, and he still shines. There are moments in virtually every one of his stories where, for me, he's utterly magnetic. He's a subtle and generous actor, and easily wins my vote for "Doctor most likely to actually be 1200 years old" (Moffat said in an interview the other day that Smith was like "a young man assembled by old men, from memory").

I can only sum up by quoting that most amiable of companions, the Brigadier: "Splendid fellows - all of you!"

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Companion list? That's tricky.

It has to start with (1) Sarah Jane. Always. People talk about their "first Doctor", but Sarah was my first companion and nobody else quite measured up.

(2) & (3) Barbara-and-Ian. Really, they should be just one. Barbara was different from every other companion. Ian was a perfect counterpoint. The early series didn't go in for so many jokes, but to hear Ian come up with a plan and ask to borrow Barbara's cardigan, only to have her complain "Again?" was brilliantly funny.

(4) Ace. Started out very, very rough, but her later stories are solid ("Ace, let me have some of that Nitro-9 that you aren't carrying!")

(5) Adric--No, just kidding! Actually, (5) would be Rory. Was there ever a more basically heroic companion than him?

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Rory I didn't like as a companion, despite several times when Arthur Darvill acting everyone off screen, no mean feat with that cast. Darvill was great, Rory was irritating.

But what about Wilf? Why has no one mentioned Wilf?

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
But what about Wilf? Why has no one mentioned Wilf?

I mentioned Wilf. First post, top of this page. He was my 4th choice for companion.
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
My companion list would feature:

1) River Song. Scene-stealing, sophisticated, capable, confident, wonderful River. OK she's Amy Pond's daughter, but she can't help that.

2) Jack Harkness. Scene-stealing, sophisticated, capable, confident, lively and fun.

Oh dear. We're not going to get on. [Frown]

I don't like to try to rank characters like this, because they all have their good points, depending on what you're looking for, and I think it takes a while to see how they stand the test of time, making all of NuWho fairly tricky to assess. But these two are both ridiculously over the top and written as too-perfect caricatures instead of rounded characters. I'd cheerfully see them both run over by an intergalactic spacebus, but they'd still somehow escape in some implausible way with a snappy one-liner.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
On a different note, BBC radio and Iplayer are broadcasting Big Finish again. Currently up, Protect and Survive, which appears to be a Seventh Doctor-lite drama with Ace. It seems to have a good reputation.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Rory I didn't like as a companion, despite several times when Arthur Darvill acting everyone off screen, no mean feat with that cast. Darvill was great, Rory was irritating.

I liked Rory; Amy was the irritating one. Interesting to see that no one has included her in their list of favourites, even though Adric (often considered the most annoying companion ever) has had several votes.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stumbling Pilgrim
Shipmate
# 7637

- Posted      Profile for Stumbling Pilgrim   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is everybody aware of this ?
Posts: 492 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Armin:
I liked Rory; Amy was the irritating one. Interesting to see that no one has included her in their list of favourites, even though Adric (often considered the most annoying companion ever) has had several votes.

Amy is my number 7, after Liz at 6.
You did notice that the Adric vote was a joke?

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Most Annoying Companions

1. Peri
2. Amy
3. Adric
4. Rory
5. difficult choice... Jo, or Romana II?

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Most Annoying Companions

1. Peri

Otherwise known as "that annoying high-pitched background noise that affected the programme's soundtrack in the mid-80s".

(Not really Nicola Bryant's fault: even a good actress can only go so far when all the script requires her to do is whine and complain.)

--------------------

Ronald Binge
Shipmate
# 9002

- Posted      Profile for Ronald Binge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Most annoying companions: God this is so easy.

5. Susan. Starts off smart and mysterious, then ends up always on the brink of screaming.

4. Steven. Peter Purves' delivery couldn't be more wooden than a particularly boxy tea chest.

3. Leela. The one major misfire of the Philip Hinchcliffe era.

2. Both Romanas and K9. I restarted watching once they were gone.

Joint first: The one-two knockout punch of Peri and Mel. Nuff said.

Posts: 477 | From: Brexit's frontline | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Peri would definitely top my list of most annoying.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
An aside - as an addition to your celebrations on Saturday, you might like to eat Dr Who cupcakes from a Dalek cakestand, with all the other ephemera from Lakeland.

Make, Bake, Exterminate Their idea of a slogan, not mine! What are they planning to add to the recipes?

They currently have a competion - find and photograph a Dr Who enemy at a Lakeland shop and submit it to them via Twitter or Facebook. For adults. At Bluewater, the flipping angel was at the doorway, not hiding at all. Couldn't take my eyes off it!

Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Most Annoying Companions

1. Peri
2. Amy
3. Adric
4. Rory
5. difficult choice... Jo, or Romana II?

Peri and Amy definitely. Adric annoyed me at the time but looks better when I rewatch old episodes. Rory I really liked. Apart from them, I think I'd want to add Ace and whoever Bonnie Langford played - but there must be others who have been blotted from my mind by the merciful passage of time.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
(Not really Nicola Bryant's fault: even a good actress can only go so far when all the script requires her to do is whine and complain.)

I often feel the same about Colin Baker (who, last I look, was well in the "lead" for least favorite Doctor over on the poll). He was saddled with poor scripts; ridiculous costume foisted on him by the producer; upper BBC management insisting that there be no violence in an adventure show; a script editor who didn't appear to actually like the show at all; etc. etc.

quote:
Originally posted by Ronald Binge:
Joint first: The one-two knockout punch of Peri and Mel. Nuff said.

Oh, right. And he was saddled with Peri and Mel.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm not going to comment on the companions of seasons 10 onwards of the classic series until I've watched them again. So that leaves me with agreeing that Susan could be thoroughly annoying.

As previously mentioned, I'm not as in love with Jamie as many people either.

I don't think I've ever particularly disliked any of the companions on the new series. I can understand people not especially loving Amy, but if anyone annoyed me a little it was Rose. Not so much because of who she was but because she was of vital importance to the universe a bit too often.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Bring back Ace [Axe murder]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ace was commenting on the history of the programme programme last night. She's grown up well - any possibility of another spin off in the manner of Sarah-Jane would be good.
Colin Baker has not aged well. He clearly feels the same inside, but the mannerisms don't work well now. He wanted to dress rather like Ecclestone, apparently.

Ultimate Guide

I think I might be going to find Clara a bit irritating.

[ 19. November 2013, 08:19: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
Ace was commenting on the history of the programme programme last night. She's grown up well - any possibility of another spin off in the manner of Sarah-Jane would be good.

Apparently there were plans for Ace to appear on the Sarah Jane Adventures before Liz Sladen died.

--------------------

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

I rather enjoyed the "Ultimate Guide" last evening - a cut above average for this kind of show, I thought.

This week I've set myself the very enjoyable task of watching a story of each of the Doctors from my DVD collection. On the list are:

The Aztecs, The Invasion, The Daemons, Genesis of the Daleks, Kinda, Revelation of the Daleks, Ghost Light, The Night of the Doctor*, Father's Day**, The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit*, The Snowmen***.

* Because it's the only McGann I've got access to!

** Odd choices, because I've recently seen both my favourite stories from Eccleston & Tennant - Dalek and Midnight.

*** Odd choice, but I think it's charming, and I like a bit of charm.

--------------------

Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Yonatan:
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
So I just watched the mini-episode...

...That was bloody brilliant, wasn't it?

It certainly was, and perhaps more importantly, ensures that Paul McGann is and always will be a cannonical Dr. It's amazing how resistant some die-hard fans have been to this fact, in face of all the evidence. Usually because they don't like the reference to his being half human on his mother's side.
Sorry to go back a bit but I've been away for a few days and only just seen this little episode - and... oh wow, oh my, oh WOW [Overused] ...I shouted at the screen [Yipee] lovely, lovely Paul McGann and lovely John Hurt [Axe murder]

Nothing more to add. Carry on.

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

Hedgehog:
quote:
I often feel the same about Colin Baker (who, last I look, was well in the "lead" for least favourite Doctor over on the poll). He was saddled with poor scripts; ridiculous costume foisted on him by the producer; upper BBC management insisting that there be no violence in an adventure show; a script editor who didn't appear to actually like the show at all; etc. etc.
At the time I remember feeling that both C Baker and McCoy were battling against the BBC, who wanted to close the show and were therefore trying to run it down. I hope I get the chance to ask them if they felt the same way, when I go to their panel on Sunday.

As for those who find Susan annoying, well, I know what you mean. At first she was brilliant; especially in the pilot episode of An Unearthly Child, where she is very unearthly indeed. Sadly the BBC decided to tone her character down from the original conception of someone who was super intelligent and super fit, but then had no idea of what to do with her, except have her run around and scream a lot. She is possibly the first victim in Who of death-by-script, but remains special to me for how wonderful she was at first, and should have been. Of all the characters from the past, she is the one I most want to see in Saturday's big show. (Given the number of times over the past few days that we've been shown Hartnell leaving her, but promising to return, I am hoping hard. Yet I've heard no rumours of her appearing, so I'm bracing myself for disappointment.)

--------------------

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Most Annoying Companions

1. Peri

Otherwise known as "that annoying high-pitched background noise that affected the programme's soundtrack in the mid-80s".

Whine, complain, and flash her tits and teeth. While putting on a really dodgy American accent. I was a young man at the time, I didn't mind. Her character was much better than Mel. Though not as gorgeous as Nyssa.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

quote:
Originally posted by ken:
Whine, complain, and flash her tits and teeth. While putting on a really dodgy American accent. I was a young man at the time, I didn't mind. Her character was much better than Mel. Though not as gorgeous as Nyssa.

I'm a gay man - Nicola Bryant's breasts went right over my head.

(Now why am I getting a recollection of Peter Davison's regeneration scene ...?)

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Nicola Bryant's breasts went right over my head.

That is some image.

Another clip from the special on the One Show this evening for those who don't mind spoilers.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

Back to Peri and Mel - I can see why the 6th Doctor is many people's least favourite with those companions. Plus the costume.

None of which was Colin Baker's fault.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
For those in the UK without extensive DVD collections BBC4 are showing An Unearthly Child tonight. I dare say it will be on iplayer afterwards.

I'll be recording and using it in our Dr Who-fest over the weekend. The Roguelings have virtually nil experience of Old Who but really enjoyed the first two episodes of Genesis of the Daleks the other day. We will be finishing that off, watching Unearthly Child and some of the stuff that the BBC have been putting out this week. And we have the Five Doctors somewhere around.

Mrs Rogue is working tomorrow night (Friday) but as she doesn't like Dr Who at all it's our chance to get well stuck in. However, even she will be watching the Day of the Doctor on Saturday although she is disappointed that it won't include all eleven/twelve Doctors.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

An Adventure in Time and Space is some of the most moving TV I've seen in a long time. Warris Hussein and Verity Lambert are my new pin-up heroes. I want to meet them and tell them how much they have given me.

--------------------

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
An Adventure in Time and Space

I thought I saw Jean Marsh, or her doppelganger, in the crowd scene at Verity's leaving party - a non-speaking, uncredited character. Anyone else see her?

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

quote:
An Adventure in Time and Space is some of the most moving TV I've seen in a long time. Warris Hussein and Verity Lambert are my new pin-up heroes. I want to meet them and tell them how much they have given me.

That was brilliant. Absolutely ruddy brilliant! Perfect performances, great writing, and a nice little game of Spot the Companion. Actually, it would have been a lovely piece of drama even if it hadn't been about Doctor Who - a story about the magic of television programme making, and of a man, old before his time, struggling with change and loss. Beautiful.

--------------------

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

quote:
Originally posted by Roseofsharon:
quote:
An Adventure in Time and Space

I thought I saw Jean Marsh, or her doppelganger, in the crowd scene at Verity's leaving party - a non-speaking, uncredited character. Anyone else see her?
Yep. And William Russell - who played Ian Chesterton - playing the BBC commissionaire, too! I think I may have emitted a high pitched squeak at that point.

--------------------

Ronald Binge
Shipmate
# 9002

- Posted      Profile for Ronald Binge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Most Annoying Companions

1. Peri

Even though I despaired of Who during the Sixth/Peri full season, Colin and Nicola are really sound and thoroughly enjoy their twitter stuff. Having read the bio of JN-T it has become fairly obvious that the veering of tone during JN-T's tenure: the poles apart approach of Eric Saward and JN-T's on-off quality control had a lot to do with the multiple failures of Colin's time in the role.

[ 21. November 2013, 23:01: Message edited by: Ronald Binge ]

--------------------
Older, bearded (but no wiser)

Posts: 477 | From: Brexit's frontline | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Saw Jean Marsh, but not William Russell!

I'll have to go and have another look.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alicïa
Shipmate
# 7668

- Posted      Profile for Alicïa   Email Alicïa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

That was brilliant. Absolutely ruddy brilliant! Perfect performances, great writing, and a nice little game of Spot the Companion. Actually, it would have been a lovely piece of drama even if it hadn't been about Doctor Who - a story about the magic of television programme making, and of a man, old before his time, struggling with change and loss. Beautiful.
About to watch this on iPlayer today. It's what having a day off, the day before the 50th anniversary is all about. [Smile]

In other news, looks like the big search engine is putting on a little celebratory doodle. googledoodle
see it first via australialand

--------------------
"The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world." Georgia Elma Harkness

Posts: 884 | From: Where the Art is. | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stumbling Pilgrim
Shipmate
# 7637

- Posted      Profile for Stumbling Pilgrim   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh great, there goes the rest of my day!
(Is it really, really sad that I have no children or grandchildren, or indeed anybody else's children, to take but I'm still going to see it in 3D on the big screen tomorrow?)

--------------------
Stumbling in the Master's footsteps as best I can.

Posts: 492 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Stuck on the first O.
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by M.:
Saw Jean Marsh, but not William Russell!

I'll have to go and have another look.

M.

I spotted Jean Marsh but didn't realise it was William Russell until the extra bits after the credits when he was one of those reminiscing.

It was lovely, it made me laugh, and cry, and squeak when the Doctor looked across the control panels of the Tardis and there was Matt Smith! A beautiful touch... [Frown]

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
An Adventure in Space and Time isn't on in Australia until Sunday night - after the 'encore' screening of the new episode at a sensible time (rather than the 6:50 am simulcast for those who can't wait, which may well be me due to the perils of the internet).

I must remember to watch The Name of the Doctor tomorrow. I kept it from the original broadcast because I felt I'd want to remind myself what was in it just before The Day of the Doctor turned up.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
"I don't want to go ..."

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What a wonderful piece of television that was - and I had a little sniffle when Matt Smith turned up at the console, too.
Wasn't it a love affair with the BBC Television Centre, too? All those shots of the building and the corridors before the BBC finally moved out.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I shall now wind you all up by saying I turned down a VIP pass (or three or four) to the Dr Who conference at Excel this afternoon. W*rk had taken a trip to the show and had the passes left over. I was offered one to go along and see what was on.

No fun costumes that I saw on my wanders past.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Seems as good a place as any to plug my latest blog Link

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I really enjoyed An Adventure in Time and Space. Proper good drama with proper acting and a proper bit of emotional involvement.

Cattyish, trying not to spoil it.

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1794 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

quote:
Originally posted by Stumbling Pilgrim:
Oh great, there goes the rest of my day!
(Is it really, really sad that I have no children or grandchildren, or indeed anybody else's children, to take but I'm still going to see it in 3D on the big screen tomorrow?)

Not at all. I'm going to see it tomorrow, with another 54 yr old mate.

--------------------

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

Happy birthday, Doctor!

I watched An Adventure again yesterday, and it was even better than the first time. There are so many references to the world of Doctor Who in there, it would take ages to spot and list them all, and every one I noticed was a delight. One of the best of all was the opening scene - a police box on foggy Barnes Common. That's how the first novelisation, Doctor Who: in an Exciting Adevnture with the Daleks (later just Doctor Who and the Daleks) began.

Oh, and there are at least another two former companions in cameo roles.

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

Almost ready to veg out in front of the TV this evening. But first a meal of pasta with darlic bread. I have my jelly babies ready.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  17  18  19 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016