homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » The Circus   » The timeless Test - Everlasting cricket thread (Page 26)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  23  24  25  26  27  28 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The timeless Test - Everlasting cricket thread
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
India actually enforce the follow-on in the 2nd Test at the SSC in Colombo - with a first innings lead of 400+ I think they should be okay.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At the end of Day 3 Sri Lanka trail by 230 with 8 wickets left - but India, of course, have the chance to bat again if required. I still think/hope it won't be necessary, but...

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

There is something so satisfying about a victory of An innings and... - as long as it is occasional rather than the norm.

--------------------

Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

- Posted      Profile for Jamat   Author's homepage   Email Jamat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
There is something so satisfying about a victory of An innings and... - as long as it is occasional rather than the norm.

Indeed, India superior in all departments but great centuries at the top of SL order. Makes you think the bowling is the biggie.
Posts: 3228 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

- Posted      Profile for Jamat   Author's homepage   Email Jamat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
England crush RSA after a great fighting knock by Hasem Amla. Quite a few parallels wth what India did to SL.

[ 07. August 2017, 18:15: Message edited by: Jamat ]

--------------------
Jamat ..in utmost longditude, where Heaven
with Earth and ocean meets, the setting sun slowly descended, and with right aspect
Against the eastern gate of Paradise. (Milton Paradise Lost Bk iv)

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Yes, it was a good victory.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Yes, it was a good victory.

India v Sri Lanka was, but that was match between two teams that can bat. Neither England nor South Africa can do that very well. You could dream up a combined top six from England and South Africa that would be fortunate to pass 60.

[ 08. August 2017, 15:29: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think that's a bit harsh Sioni. As the @51AllOut twitter account put it the other day, get England four down and you're into the batsmen! [Biased]

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I suppose 134/0 by lunch on the first day is not too bad!

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

329/6 is not quite as good as I would have hoped/expected at Stumps on Day 1 but it is what it is.

Meanwhile India U19 are not doing so well against England U19: 185/3 after 34 overs but I have no idea how good the England team are these days.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

India U19 finished their 50 overs on 327/7, so not too bad after all.

Now what can England do in reply?

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Erm, not a lot seemed to be the answer. India seem to be whitewashing the England U19 team...

...and in the Test series Sri Lanka seem to be heading the same way - SL all out for 135 [in under a day] in reply to 480+ - surely a good case for the follow on, again.

eta: India look to have enforced the follow on - now we need to get a wicket or two before stumps!

[ 13. August 2017, 11:19: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------

Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

- Posted      Profile for Mr Clingford   Email Mr Clingford   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are you enjoying the trouncing, Wodders, or is it a bit boring being so one-sided? (I mean the test, but the U19s series ain't much cop either, indeed!).

--------------------
Ne'er cast a clout till May be out.

If only.

Posts: 1660 | From: A Fleeting moment | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I nthink the Indian team has done well BUT it needs a challenge if it is to improve and Sri Lanka aren't offering any of that. Winning this way is fun but I really prefer something less one sided.

[ 14. August 2017, 14:26: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I nthink the Indian team has done well BUT it needs a challenge if it is to improve and Sri Lanka aren't offering any of that. Winning this way is fun but I really prefer something less one sided.

I'm wondering who can provide that. Probably England in England, where the ball moves around or Australia if they get four quick bowlers fit and some fast pitches.
Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

The last time India visited Oz, Oz won but India have improved since then though Aussie pitches do somewhat negate a spin attack.
An England vs India in England ATM would be interesting. Indian batting may not be so great on seaming wickets. India have already shown that they are unbeatable at home.

--------------------
with Earth and ocean meets, the setting sun slowly descended, and with right aspect

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As I type, Cook is at 183.

Which raises a question: what are the most runs that a single batsman has run up in a test match?

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
agingjb
Shipmate
# 16555

- Posted      Profile for agingjb   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Highest single test innings is Lara's 400. I believe that Gooch's 333 +123 is the highest total in a test match.

--------------------
Refraction Villanelles

Posts: 464 | From: Southern England | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged
Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

England too good for windies. No wonder when most of their best players are back in Caribbean playing 20/20!
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Even as an England supporter, I find that a bit embarrassing.

I too think Gooch may well have the record for most runs in a single test match. I'm pretty sure that he's the only batsman to follow a triple century in the first innings with a ton in the second.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Well you tell me: Have the West Indies improved or were England dreadful? My opinion is that England had this of thing coming - they can't rely on the middle order getting them out of trouble and they were lucky that the West Indies dropped so many chances because they could have been out for less than 150. At least the West Indies bowling looked better, with Shannon Gabriel dangerous and Kemar Roach far better in a supporting role than leading the attack.
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Please let England be dreadful. I'm looking forward to the Ashes this summer, and two-day bloodbaths are my preferred outcome. Also, we are no great shakes at the moment, although team unity should be high after the recent industrial win.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know about the rest of you, but I am quite looking forward to Day 4 of England-West Indies.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:
I don't know about the rest of you, but I am quite looking forward to Day 4 of England-West Indies.

Day 3 was supposed to be decisive but I think Day 4 really will be. And the weather looks set fair which on a Bank Holiday in Yorkshire is unusual.
It all hinges on who is batting at the teatime break (4 hours more play) If the West Indies are in then they ought to win, but if England are still in, they should. I can't believe England will bowl so badly again and 200 won't be an easy target.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Two words for you today:
Moeen. Ali.

(Okay, you can have Root and Joe as well if you really insist!)

What a performance!

--------------------
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

Whatever, it is great to see this game progressing to Day 4. Well done on a fightback with the bat by England.
I cannot help thinking that Root was lucky not to be given out LBW early on day 3 when he was 23 or so but I guess you ride your luck with the technology as well.
Day 3 was England's day.
I guess when a test match goes into day 4 and 5 it is who is less fatigued.
I'd love to see the Windies make a go of it.
England really need to be made to pay for that pathetic 1st innings.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Jamat:
Whatever, it is great to see this game progressing to Day 4. Well done on a fightback with the bat by England.
I cannot help thinking that Root was lucky not to be given out LBW early on day 3 when he was 23 or so but I guess you ride your luck with the technology as well.
Day 3 was England's day.
I guess when a test match goes into day 4 and 5 it is who is less fatigued.
England really need to be made to pay for that pathetic 1st innings.

England have been left off the hook by some pretty ordinary captaincy by Jason Holder (mostly the wrong bowlers at the wrong time) plus woeful catching. I thing the West Indies dropped or missed nine chances, probably the extent of England's lead.
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

quote:

All things considered, I think we can say that they made a go of it.

--------------------

Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

quote:
quote:

All things considered, I think we can say that they made a go of it.
Indeed!
Many things to be said about some of English tactics.
Were they arrogant?
Declaration? Why not bat on, it was only day 3.
Alistair Cook..hero to zero..2 drops
England bowled well but what happened to the catchers?Broad and Anderson will be justifiably angry after that.

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

quote:

[Confused] I believe the declaration was made late on Day 4. According to the BBC:
quote:
Captain Joe Root declared with England on 490-8 in their second innings late on day four, giving West Indies six tricky overs to negotiate before the close.
Declaring made sense to me at the time. If you were confident that you could put the Windies down (and, based on the 19-wickets-in-one-day of the first test match, there was reason to think so), it decreased the chance of a draw. Of course, as it turned out, England would have welcomed a draw. The miscalculation was in thinking that the West Indies were Hope-less.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Congratulations to the West Indies on the win and especially to Stuart Law and the coaching team for turning the players round after the pounding they took at Edgbaston.
Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

quote:
quote:

[Confused] I believe the declaration was made late on Day 4. According to the BBC:
quote:
Captain Joe Root declared with England on 490-8 in their second innings late on day four, giving West Indies six tricky overs to negotiate before the close.
Declaring made sense to me at the time. If you were confident that you could put the Windies down (and, based on the 19-wickets-in-one-day of the first test match, there was reason to think so), it decreased the chance of a draw. Of course, as it turned out, England would have welcomed a draw. The miscalculation was in thinking that the West Indies were Hope-less.

Sorry, my mistake, got days wrong. The expert commentators backed Root in the declaration so obviously it was an OK decision. It was certainly a great run chase.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Test cricket is a wonderful thing! Hot on the heels of the West Indies beating England in a calm run chase featuring a young batsman, who was the first *ever* to score a hundred in both innings of any first class match at Headingley*, Bangladesh beat Australia! I know Australia haven't had to look far for trouble recently and they have an ordinary record in the sub-continent, but this makes me wonder if England and Australia will be playing for the wooden spoon rather than the Ashes.

*There have been over 500 first-class matches at Headingley and an awful lot of very good players have played a lot of cricket there. The pitch and conditions haven't always been as batting-friendly as this week, but Hope and Brathwaite won this match with proper Test match batting.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Of all the things that should never happen on the field of play, the firing of arrows is one I never expected to be outraged by. Glad that no one appears to be hurt, though it'll bugger up the buses in the area so will make for a slow commute home tonight.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, anyone with tickets for the Sunday at Lords might as well ask for a refund now! If the weather at Lords was anything like in Oxfordshire (grey and humid), the ball will have been going round corners.

Meanwhile it looks as though the top of the table clash between Essex & Lancs will be a draw, which will suit Essex no end. I'm desperate for them to win the title, but it will tear me apart because the person I want to chew it over with most isn't here to do so any more. [Frown]

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
Well, anyone with tickets for the Sunday at Lords might as well ask for a refund now! If the weather at Lords was anything like in Oxfordshire (grey and humid), the ball will have been going round corners.

AG

That's what Ben Stokes was doing for a while - at about 85 mph, swinging in, pitch middle, cut away to hit off. How do you play that? TRJ wasn't far behind and Broad looked decidedly mediocre alongside those two and Anderson.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

And we've done it - first county championship since 1992!

[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee] and a little tear for Dad [Tear]

AG

[ 15. September 2017, 21:05: Message edited by: Sandemaniac ]

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Congrats!

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Looks like England's Ben Stokes is trying to overtake Australia's David Warner and New Zealand's Jesse Ryder as the World most unstable cricketer.

Stokes has a track record for this sort of thing, having been sent home from an England Lions tour.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Well, some papers are reporting that he and Alex Hales stepped in to help two men who were being assaulted. I have no idea if that's true, but maybe there are two sides to the story?

A bigger question might be why he (and apparently a whole bunch of the England team) were out in the small hours during the middle of a series.

--------------------
Brian Clough

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Has England fielded a player with a criminal record before? What about organising for him to serve part of his time in Australian jails, so he can play in the tests on day release? We could open up a few of the old convict prisons for him [Smile]

In all seriousness, I hope England does sully itself and pick him. I don't want any excuses.

--------------------
Human

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

Ashes!

Any thoughts, predictions, feelings of dread disaster?

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by simontoad:
Has England fielded a player with a criminal record before?

I'm sure some Aussies may say that Stuart Broad is a bit criminal.

Verdict on the day: fairly even. Nobody's won it on the first day; nobody's lost it.

The Australian bowling attack didn't make the best of the pitch and were generally lacklustre compared to some of the lineups over the last 20 years or so, only producing a handful of good balls in the whole day.

England will be disappointed not to have made a bit more hay. Cook got a good ball which all openers get from time to time with the new cherry.

Australia's target for tomorrow should be to get England all out for less than 320 and then bat out the rest of the day for the loss of no more than 2 wickets.

England should look to push on to around 400 and then see if they can pick up 3 quick wickets at the end of the day.

Anything in between and it'll still be up for grabs.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
C'mon Aussie C'mon. I've just seen 3 wickets fall in quick succession and the Barmy Army has gone quiet.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know about the England selection, but Australia's has been controversial. For wicket-keeper , they picked Tim Paine, who was the next big thing about 5 years ago but then got badly injured, and is now not even first-choice keeper for his state. Sceptics noted that he dropped the first chance he got, off Lyon on day 1. The other weird pick was to give Sean Marsh his eight-th (yes, 8th!) recall to test cricket, as his bad or mediocre performances are at least well known, and only Bancroft (who will open the batting) responded well to the selectors call for batsman to make runs in the Sheffield Shield and pick themselves.

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That would be the Bancroft who is out for five. But hopefully he improves.

I am surprised England capitulated so easily after a good start. 302 is not going to get it done.

Still, if anyone can snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, Aus can. So let's see how our lads manage.

--------------------
So don't ever call me lucky
You don't know what I done, what it was, who I lost, or what it cost me
- A B Original: I C U

----
Love is as strong as death (Song of Solomon 8:6).

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
End of day 2, in which Bancroft (in excellent form domestically) was out cheaply but Marsh (Batting at #6) is still there on a patiently accumulated 44.

Meanwhile Maxwell (one of the 2 batters dropped from the team of the previous test) has today made 200 in an interstate game. If he's done that in the previous Shield game, he would have been in the test team.

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

Day 5. Australia needs 56 runs. So, how many minutes is this day going to run?

As you know, I'm a novice. But about Cook: two innings, nine runs. And he is the first batsman! Aren't you supposed to put a decent batter in the first spot...or am I missing the strategy here?

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

Annnnnnnd, we're done.

--------------------

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

I just love the cricket, except when we lose, when it feels more like a bad addiction.

My feeling is that England lost a session, maybe two, and that was it. It was a critical fail, but only a brief one. From an Australian perspective, I felt like we were under significant pressure for most of the Test. Maybe that's just my personality.

Anyway, I think it is going to be a wonderful series, and I am booking my tickets for day two or three at the G for the Boxing Day Test.

--------------------
Human

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  23  24  25  26  27  28 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016