homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » The Circus   » The timeless Test - Everlasting cricket thread (Page 24)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The timeless Test - Everlasting cricket thread
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
England Won A Match last night and no England supporter here has written in to acknowledge the fact - not even UnclePete who was hoping they'd win as they must feel dispirited having won nothing all tour except a 50 over tour match against India A.

Now we await the T20 series starting on Sunday.

I was chatting to 19 year old Neighbour Boy last night and he was saying he was disappointed as he wanted India to win every game they played - Welcome to the World of the Cricket Supporter of whatever nation! I am sure that amongst Shippies we have a wealth of experience of disappointment!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
England Won A Match last night and no England supporter here has written in to acknowledge the fact - not even UnclePete who was hoping they'd win as they must feel dispirited having won nothing all tour except a 50 over tour match against India A.

Now we await the T20 series starting on Sunday.

I was chatting to 19 year old Neighbour Boy last night and he was saying he was disappointed as he wanted India to win every game they played - Welcome to the World of the Cricket Supporter of whatever nation! I am sure that amongst Shippies we have a wealth of experience of disappointment!

Given the result of the second match it seems to me that with more self-belief England could have won that. And with only slightly better bowling they would have stood a chance in the first match. It's no coincidence that Ben Stokes played a crucial role for England and he could teach Ian Botham a thing or two about self-belief.

It's a bit like the "dramatic turnaround" in England's rugby fortunes. Get it right in the head and it'll be right on the field.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A convincing win by England tonight - India just failed to click when batting.

Today was Kanpur, Sunday is Nagpur and the final match of the series is in Bangalore next Wednesday. If India manage a better performance on Sunday and win it will make the Bangalore match far more exciting.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
A convincing win by England tonight - India just failed to click when batting.

Today was Kanpur, Sunday is Nagpur and the final match of the series is in Bangalore next Wednesday. If India manage a better performance on Sunday and win it will make the Bangalore match far more exciting.

For once our bowlers delivered! India got exactly no partnerships while England got off to a flyer (albeit, one that was soon over) followed by one between Root and Morgan that made the most of batting second.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I am sure that amongst Shippies we have a wealth of experience of disappointment!

Try being 7 in 1987 and starting your England supportership then. Misery for nearly 2 decades:

- Atherton's great, he's just let down by the rest of them
- Hussein's laying the groundwork for success in 5 years' time
- Gough and Caddick are a world class pace attack
- Jack Russell might not be able to do anything but keep wicket, but he's brilliant at keeping wicket
- Graeme Hick's been picked again...and dropped...and picked....and dropped....and picked...
- Alec Stewart's captaining, keeping wicket and opening the batting; we don't think it's a good idea either but there's no one else (in fairness, he was quite good at pulling the trick off)
- The first coming of Ryan Sidebottom
- 1992, "come on, you can beat Zimbabwe". Oh.
- we've discovered English cricket's new hope; he's called.....Mark Ramprakash
- Alan Wells....Joey Benjamin.....

How any of us fans (or the players, frankly) have got to 2017 without extensive counselling is a complete mystery.

--------------------
And is it true? For if it is....

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by betjemaniac:
quote:
I am sure that amongst Shippies we have a wealth of experience of disappointment!

Try being 7 in 1987 and starting your England supportership then. Misery for nearly 2 decades:

<litany of False Dawns>

How any of us fans (or the players, frankly) have got to 2017 without extensive counselling is a complete mystery.

Consider yourself lucky. My teens and early twenties were to a backdrop of Lillie'n'Thomson, and terrifying West Indies pace attack plus Sir Viv to murder our bowlers.

We weren't actually bad, but we were consistently second-best.

[ 26. January 2017, 21:24: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by betjemaniac:

I am one year younger than you, and I find that the experience you share (and also supporting the England rugby team at the same time) have had a noticeable effect on how I feel about sport in general. More recently, I have come to support Chelsea Football Club, and it's a very strange sensation to be supporting a team that actually has a chance of winning things on a regular basis. Last season, when Mourinho imploded and we finished 10th in the league, many other supporters were wailing and gnashing their teeth and I was like "well, it's not that bad..."

So perhaps in lieu of extensive counselling, my self-healing has been to set inexorably low expectations for sporting success. [Help]

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

India won by the skin of their teeth last night so Wednesday's match will for England to win a Series or for India to sweep the three titles - it could be a tense finish.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

England were behind the run rate in today's match but ensured defeat in what must be a record collapse!

Eight wickets for eight runs!

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"A nice partnership from Root and Morgan but it was a catastrophe after that."

Isa Guha gets it about right. Even in the dark days of the 1990s...

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The day has arrived. Alastair Cook has stepped down as England Test captain.

Ready for the coronation of Root?

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
The day has arrived. Alastair Cook has stepped down as England Test captain.

And he's done well, all things considered. The team is ageing and those who won series against Australia, South Africa and India so recently aren't there or at height of their powers now.
quote:

Ready for the coronation of Root?

In the absence of anyone else, I suppose so. I hope Cook stays around while a new generation of top order players are developed. Now that he's not captain he might feel less inhibited as a batsman.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The coronation is complete.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I think it is well-deserved and also that there can have been few others in with a chance - it is almost as if it is his destiny.

In other news India unsurprisingly won the one-off test against Bangladesh by a comfortable margin BUT Bangla in no way disgraced themselves, they are heading towards the formidable.

--------------------

Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think we will see a result in teh test at Pune. First day: Australia all out for 261 (actually 256/9 overnight). Day 2: India all out for 105! (with Kohli making a duck, and O'Keefe , a spinner who rarely gets a game for Australia taking 6 wickets.) !)

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Suddenly the supposedly wonderful Indian team that hammered England is looking a bit sorry for itself.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Suddenly the supposedly wonderful Indian team that hammered England is looking a bit sorry for itself.

India lost their last seven wickets for 11 runs. Clearly they have picked something up from England!

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I live in India, I love India and I heartily support India...

BUT...

...it is always good to see hubris punished.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

So India need 441 for victory with seven and a half sessions left which, on recent form, doesn't seem too unreasonable but...

--------------------

Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

- Posted      Profile for Mr Clingford   Email Mr Clingford   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
... 16/2 and blowing both reviews inside 6 overs ain't clever.

--------------------
Ne'er cast a clout till May be out.

If only.

Posts: 1660 | From: A Fleeting moment | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

- Posted      Profile for Mr Clingford   Email Mr Clingford   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And, I'm spent. That didn't take long, said the actress...

--------------------
Ne'er cast a clout till May be out.

If only.

Posts: 1660 | From: A Fleeting moment | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's what India get for offering a pitch that spun so hard after about 6 overs on day 1 that the Aussie batters could leave balls to spin harmlessly past them. A decisive and surprising win, but well deserved on the way the play went.

But the question still remains: why is Mitch Marsh (an "all rounder" who didn't bowl a single over) still in the side at the expense of one of the Australian batters most in form over the southern summer , namely Khawaja?

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Possibly the nicest Yorkshireman of my lifetime has died. John Hampshire, a very stylish batsman who never got enough opportunities to play for England. Even my mum liked him and she was even more Red Rose than me.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Yes, he was a distinctive man and a great umpite - I think I saw him play for Yorkshire against a Windies XI at the Scarborough Cricket Festival sometime back in the Dark Ages when I was but of a slip of a lad in my 20s.

Invincible India!

What a sick joke that is!

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't wait for England to pitch up in Australia... [Help]

--------------------
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
agingjb
Shipmate
# 16555

- Posted      Profile for agingjb   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I see that http://cricketarchive.com/ now has a paywall. I shall not pay. I wonder if the hidden site is advert free.

--------------------
Refraction Villanelles

Posts: 464 | From: Southern England | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged
Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

In the third test at Ranchi, Australia almost imitated one of England's recent matches, making 450 on the first innings, only to see India bat right past that to declare at 600/9, of which Pujara made a slow but chanceless 200. But then, unlike England, Australia averted a collapse on the last day and held on for a draw.

So with 1 win apiece so far, it should be interesting in the fourth and last test, with bragging rights very much in play. .

--------------------

Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

Sure enough , at the end of day 2 in the fourth and last test of the series between India and Australia still looks evenly poised, and with it the series as a whole.

Australia collapsed from 130/1 at lunch on the first day to be all out for 300, but India have also struggled to make a big score and are now 248/6.

And I must say that although the ground at Dharamsala may not have anything like the seating capacity of Eden Park (Calcutta) it is certainly more picturesque - with a beautiful backdrop comparable to that of Worcester. (See photo.)

--------------------

Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

Unfortunately Australia collapsed on day 3, with Smith unable on this occasion to make more than one century in the match, and none of the other batters contributing much. So India won the match by lunchtime on day 4, and with it the series. But they did feel that Australia had pushed them harder at home than most of their recent opponents (naming no names).

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

A quote from the middle:

In an IPL match last night Pant and Samson shared a blitzkrieg partnership of 143 [for Delhi Daredevils] and, apparently, when Samson was thinking of slowing down a bit after scoring back to back sixes Pant met him mid-pitch and said:

quote:
Brother, don't think too much, just keep hitting!
Delhi Daredevils went on to chase down Gujarat Lions 208, finishing on 214.

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Anyone paying any attention to the Champion's Trophy? Apparently it starts today.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm keeping half an eye on it - at least in part to see how many players England can injure. But it's not The Real Thing.

Mind you, my boss has India vs Pakistan already committed to memory.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Here's hoping India v Pakistan is a blinder today.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

It's looking good so far - India 162/1 after 30 overs.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Now I'm not so sure, they'll have to keep their bowling tight when Pakistan are in.

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

And do something to appease the rain gods!

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Well if you will schedule tournaments in the monsoon season (for the uninitiated, the monsoon in England runs from January 1st to December 31st, with peaks on Bank Holiday Mondays).

AG

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Very sad to see Pakistan collapse so ignominiously but delighted with an Indian victory.

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

England looked pretty good in beating New Zealand yesterday. And the game provided more evidence that one day cricket is much more engaging when there is a bit in the pitch for the bowlers.

And next, bring on the Aussies. It would be wonderful to dump them out of the tournament!

--------------------
Brian Clough

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I live quite near Sophia Gardens. To be honest, the weather conditions must have played their part in yesterday's match: it rained for most of the morning and was very blustery all day.

I guess the England players are more used to that then the Kiwis!

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

South Africa did themselves no favours and have allowed me to be pleased that Pakistan have got themselves some points [but not too many!] and now we have Indian v the Lankans - Heaven alone knows how this will resolve itself; Lanka is not the most predictable team on the planet!

--------------------

Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They were, and what an interesting state that makes of the points table for group B.

Meanwhile in Group A, the Aussies are in second place without winning a game...

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Bangladesh were a bit of a surprise last night - when they were 33/4 I decided it was a foregone conclusion and went to bed and it seems I missed a bit of a show...

...and they had 2.4 overs left!

Today's game should be interesting - if it was being held here, where it is set fair to rain all day, Australia would already be out of it.

[ 10. June 2017, 06:48: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I know England don't need to win today's game but 33/2 after 5.2 overs?!?!

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Australia lost after a great fight by England and then the rains came and then much celebrating in Bangladesh as they enter the semifinals.

I felt it was a very T S Eliot type ending for the Aussies - not with a bang but a whimper!

Can Smith's captaincy survive?

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

C'mon South Africa, you can do better than 191 all out in 44.3 overs! Mind you India have to bat yet but still...

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

...then India win in just 38 overs for the loss of 2 wickets. There have been precious few tight finishes this time.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

England were put in to bat and were 211 all out!

Let's see what Pakistan can do about this.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

What a woeful display by England!

If things run to form today the final looks like being India v. Pakistan - but will they run to form?

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Oh, England. Bottled it again. But well played Pakistan - head and shoulders the better team and they fully deserved it.

I can't imagine that India will be so casual about their game today though...

--------------------
Brian Clough

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016