homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » Oops - your Trump presidency discussion thread (Page 68)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  65  66  67  68  69  70  71  ...  86  87  88 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Oops - your Trump presidency discussion thread
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Obviously his preferred method of delivering the State of the Union address would be to tweet it. Unless Congress could guarantee everyone would behave like his devoted followers and hang adoringly on his every word, he would probably prefer not to make a public address given a choice.

[ 09. January 2018, 08:23: Message edited by: Lyda*Rose ]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Curiously, Trump seemed to forget some of the words of the Star Spangled Banner last night. I was up late, watching Alabama-Geogia (what a game!) and was surprised to see his failure to sing all the words during the opening ceremony.

Weird, really. He couldn't even get that right.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
Obviously his preferred method of delivering the State of the Union address would be to tweet it. Unless Congress could guarantee everyone would behave like his devoted followers and hang adoringly on his every word, he would probably prefer not to make a public address given a choice.

"I've made America great again. Best ever. Good night!"

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
Curiously, Trump seemed to forget some of the words of the Star Spangled Banner last night. I was up late, watching Alabama-Geogia (what a game!) and was surprised to see his failure to sing all the words during the opening ceremony.

It’s not weird at all if he’s in the early stages of dementia.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Professional politicians understand the risk of offence and avoid it. Either by standing mute (hand on heart) or by making the lips move. But I guess that's just another thing Trump doesn't know, or doesn't care about, or just forgot.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Will be interesting to see what T does for the State of the Union address.

The Democrats should boycott it. If any do show up, they should heckle. It would be interesting to see if he has his thugs clear them out as he did while campaigning.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nonono. It's the GOP who's crassly rude to sitting Presidents. (Remember the 'you lie!' guy? I can't remember whether he lost his office for sexual hijinks or mere corruption...)
I am certain the Democrats will sit nicely in their seats, eyes glittering with vulpine joy, hands in their laps, lips pressed together. If your foe is deep in a hole and insists on digging, no action is called for. You sit back and let him do it.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As Napoleon Bonaparte said, 'Never interrupt your enemy while he is making a mistake'.

Wise words, from one of the world's greatest statesmen.

IMHO, anyway.

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
Remember the 'you lie!' guy? I can't remember whether he lost his office for sexual hijinks or mere corruption.

Joe Wilson, and he still sits, although not comfortably.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh good -- I hope he's at the State of the Union, writhing in shame.
The other charming possibility is text commentary, of which I am sure there will be tons. All those cell phones in the laps, noting every lie, every misspoken word, every idiocy. You don't have to shout. You can tweet.

--------------------

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And I think there was something with the Supreme Court communicating disfavor. Possibly the late Chief Justice Anthony Scalia.

That was Alito, mouthing “that’s not true” at Obama’s characterization of the Citizens United case.

I can’t imagine that Alito particularly enjoyed Obama’s speeches in general. There was always a point where Obama would talk about how qualified judicial nominees shouldn’t be filibustered. Alito certainly remembers that Senator Obama joined in the attempted filibuster of his nomination. (Obama, to his credit, has recently expressed regret for that vote. Alito may not be your ideal Justice in terms of his philosophy, but he certainly has the professional qualifications for the job.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gramps49:
To the question of how people in the Midwest, the flyover states, are feeling about Trump.

People in Michigan are not happy. There is a lot of cross-border trade with Canada that may be threatened if he cancels NAFTA. He is not living up to his promises to them. The automobile industry is not coming back to Detroit.

People in Iowa and surrounding states are seeing their grain prices going down because Mexico will not by buying American grain anymore. Mexico will be getting it from Argentina.

Even though I live in a state that went for Clinton, farmers on the east side were hoping he would not cancel the Trans-Pacific Partnership since most of our agricultural products go to Asain markets. If the Eastside were its own state we would be largely red.

I don’t buy that any of this will cause mass defections from Trump 2020. Regardless of what polls and anecdotes tell you now, I think it’s a safe bet that Trump is going to get somewhere between 45 and 48% of the vote in 2020. So it’s going to be down to turnout in Florida, Pennsylvania, and Ohio.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[digression]
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.:
quote:
Originally posted by Ian Climacus:
I mean no offence USAians [snip]

What the fuck are "USAians" then, that you're so solicitous of their feelings?
I wouldn't have thought the answer to that was difficult. In many circles it is considered a useful reference point to avoid the nationalistic assumptions of "Americans," which throws up a few issues around the remaining inhabitants of the Americas.

[/digression]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

I suspect that Dave W. gets that. It's just that this comes up at least once a quarter (maybe we're due? who knows...), and some Shipmates who reside in the USA have observed on those multiple occasions that "USAsians" frequently seems to be employed around here not out of concern for people in Uruguay, but rather as a wind-up.

--------------------

Ohher
Shipmate
# 18607

- Posted      Profile for Ohher   Author's homepage   Email Ohher   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, color me surprised (not): Arpaio is running for the U.S. Senate from Arizona.

Story here.

--------------------
From the Land of the Native American Brave and the Home of the Buy-One-Get-One-Free

Posts: 374 | From: New Hampshire, USA | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged
HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I read today that Senator Feinstein (D) has released the transcript of the 10-hour Fusion GPS interview. The actual document is available. I expect many interesting excerpts to appear.

Trump has tweeted that he can beat Oprah Winfrey if she is nominated against him in 2020. As usual, his statement seems unmotivated; if he thinks it is true, then he ought to be tweeting the exact opposite, hoping she will be nominated.

Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

He has a spiritual advisor! Unfortunately she's a prosperity gospel grifter.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HCH:
I read today that Senator Feinstein (D) has released the transcript of the 10-hour Fusion GPS interview. The actual document is available. I expect many interesting excerpts to appear.

If you can't wait for the excerpts the whole document is here [PDF]. If you're interested check it out before Senator Grassley has it taken down from Feinstein's outward-facing Senate page.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
I suspect that Dave W. gets that. It's just that this comes up at least once a quarter (maybe we're due? who knows...), and some Shipmates who reside in the USA have observed on those multiple occasions that "USAsians" frequently seems to be employed around here not out of concern for people in Uruguay, but rather as a wind-up.

Dave W, and others:

Sorry. It was not my intent. I was just thinking of terms for Americans and that popped in my head; the thought of it expressing some distate for the term "American" for a resident of the States was not in my mind. I'll be more careful in the future.

[ 09. January 2018, 20:23: Message edited by: Ian Climacus ]

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
If you can't wait for the excerpts the whole document is here

I did ctrl+F for Trump and have started reading on the second mention, around page 67.
[Eek!]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

quote:
Originally posted by Ohher:
Well, color me surprised (not): Arpaio is running for the U.S. Senate from Arizona. Story here.

Your link did not work. Did you test it before posting? (I fixed it in my quote of your post.)
The man is 85 years old. I doubt he could make it up the Capitol steps. Many Arizonans are apparently not thrilled at the news.

A comment from someone in the item I linked to (which works, I think) says it all:

quote:
Joe Arpaio is an 85 year old man that was just pardoned by Donald Trump. If the GOP even gives this nutjob the time of day in his apparent Senate run, they haven't learned a thing from Roy Moore.

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This quote from the transcript gets the heart of why I'm impatient to read Fire and Fury:
quote:
when you evaluate human intelligence, human reporting, field reporting, source reporting, you know, it's sort of like when you're a journalist and you're trying to figure out who's telling the truth, right. You don't really decide who's telling the truth. You decide whether the person is credible, right, whether they know what they're talking about, whether there's other reasons to believe what they're saying, whether anything they've said factually matches up with something in the public record

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Ohher
Shipmate
# 18607

- Posted      Profile for Ohher   Author's homepage   Email Ohher   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for your fix; yours works.

I am appalled at the number of "love Sheriff Joe" comments.

--------------------
From the Land of the Native American Brave and the Home of the Buy-One-Get-One-Free

Posts: 374 | From: New Hampshire, USA | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
1) Yes, Herr Drump could not even finish the first verse of the Star Spangled Banner. Most Americans cannot even get beyond the first verse, though. Maybe he had a lot on his (little) mind.

Sometime earlier in the day, I guess, he was speaking at a conservative meeting and he said, in so many words, aren't you glad that I let you vote for me? [Projectile]

On a positive side today, Drump met with congressional leaders on both sides for a televised negotiating session on the Immigration policy. The Democrats really pressed him on several issues, but he kept deflecting and said it was up to the leaders of both parties to come up with a bill and he will sign it. Obviously, the session was televised to show that Drump has all his faculties. [brick wall]

Another negative that happened yesterday was the Homeland Security people have said El Salvadorans who have had temporary status in the US now have to leave once their last 18-month pass is up. El Salvadorans had to report to immigration services every 18 months to up date their status. That ended as of yesterday.

Many Salvadorans have been here for nearly a generation. They have bought homes. They have started business here. They have been gainfully employed and have paid their taxes faithfully (as opposed to Drump) and they have raised families here. Now they have to give it all up. Some kids are in American colleges and they would hate to see their parents being forced to leave. Listening to an NPR talk show today, someone from Canada called in and said they would likely be welcomed up North. I certainly hope that is true.

Whose next? Haitians.

Going to which states will likely vote for Trump Three states have been mentioned above: Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Florida. I think Pennsylvania and Florida will likely flip. Pennsylvania has long been considered a blue state. Trump promised he will reopen their coal mines. It is not happening.

Fact is, more of the mines are closing. It won't take long for the miners to see their best option will be to elect someone who can provide retraining into newer jobs. Did you know there are more people working in wind generation industries than the coal industry at this time--and they are getting pretty good wages.

Florida is usually considered a toss-up state. There are a lot of Puerto Ricans that have fled the island for Florida. And if the Republicans dare to reduce Social Security and Medicare, watch out. Last time someone tried that they got burned pretty badly. Florida will be blue next time.

Ohio has long been Republican because of its pro-business positions. I think it just might be a toss-up next time. Drump's policies have hurt Ohio's agricultural sector. Kasich thinks Drump is a con man. Abd there is a very serious challenge in the Supreme Court about how Ohio has been purging its voter registrations which may allow more minorities to vote.

Other states that will likely flip are Michigan and Wisconson. They have a history of voting Democrat in past elections.

Now to Joe Arpaio. While Joe has easily won the rural county he ruled over, it is much different winning over Pheonix and Tuscan plus other places that are heavily Hispanic. He is going down, but if he divides the Republican party, the Democrats will take that seat.

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I knew I had a better link for the query about How Conservatives Are Thinking, and here it is. Slate has a daily summary "Today in Conservative Media."

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Good grief! Shades of tele-evangelist Oral Roberts. Though I don't think he ever threatened his followers. There was a period, maybe towards the end of his life, when he said "God said if you don't send money, God will take me home". He really seemed to believe it.

This grifter person said she knows it's a big ask, but that God always provides, etc. If that's so, why doesn't God just give *her* the money, rather than taking it from working and (probably) retired people?

[Projectile]

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dave W.
Shipmate
# 8765

- Posted      Profile for Dave W.   Email Dave W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, Ian Climacus - I appreciate it.
Posts: 2059 | From: the hub of the solar system | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

quote:
quote:

Good grief! Shades of tele-evangelist Oral Roberts. Though I don't think he ever threatened his followers. There was a period, maybe towards the end of his life, when he said "God said if you don't send money, God will take me home". He really seemed to believe it.

This grifter person said she knows it's a big ask, but that God always provides, etc. If that's so, why doesn't God just give *her* the money, rather than taking it from working and (probably) retired people?

[Projectile]

This...person...thinks she can sell salvation (Raw Story).
[Roll Eyes]

And I wonder if Melania has seen the pic of her husband and this woman? (At the top of that page.)

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
1) Yes, Herr Drump could not even finish the first verse of the Star Spangled Banner. Most Americans cannot even get beyond the first verse, though. Maybe he had a lot on his (little) mind.

When have you ever even heard the latter verses? I have maybe twice. In my 50-mumble year life.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Now to Joe Arpaio. While Joe has easily won the rural county he ruled over, it is much different winning over Pheonix and Tuscan plus other places that are heavily Hispanic. He is going down, but if he divides the Republican party, the Democrats will take that seat.

Joe was the Sheriff of Maricopa County, which includes Phoenix and all of the cities that surround it. Only the outskirts are rural.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Trump's annual physical is Friday, and some mental health professionals want him to get a psych eval. (That's not scheduled, though.)

Will he show up for his physical?

--------------------

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:

When have you ever even heard the latter verses? I have maybe twice. In my 50-mumble year life.
I know a guy (friend of my late grandmother) who is well-known for taking over the microphone at benefit dinners and leading the crowd in song. He always manages to work in one of the latter verses. But unless you hang out with that guy, never. (Although there is apparently a reference in the third verse to beating back slaves who joined the British in 1812, so there’s likely good reason.)

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just out of interest, I turned to Wikipedia for the lyrics.

Frankly, I'm not surprised to learn that few people can sing the whole thing from memory....

[Help]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

I'll see your Star Spangled Banner and raise you the Marseillaise
quote:
Let impure blood
Water our furrows

(hmm, maybe we need a "crappy national anthems" thread in Dead Horses...)

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
On a positive side today, Drump met with congressional leaders on both sides for a televised negotiating session on the Immigration policy. The Democrats really pressed him on several issues, but he kept deflecting and said it was up to the leaders of both parties to come up with a bill and he will sign it. Obviously, the session was televised to show that Drump has all his faculties.

Not so much "deflecting" as agreeing with everyone, even if it means contradicting what he said when he agreed with the last person.

quote:
Yet over nearly an hour, and with television cameras running, Trump took nearly every conceivable position in the debate: He backed a “clean” bill to extend DACA, protect the so-called “Dreamers,” and bolster border security, absent the more controversial immigration measures conservatives want; then, he said he’d “take the heat” for a more comprehensive immigration overhaul along the lines of what Trump had denounced as a candidate in 2016; later, he demanded that Congress fund the southern border wall as part of the initial DACA deal, reinserting the wrench that has held up the immigration talks for weeks.

Finally, Trump said he’d sign whatever immigration bill Congress could send him. “I’m not saying I want this or I want that. I will sign it,” he told the group.

By the time the president finally kicked reporters out of the meeting, he had said yes to everyone while clarifying virtually nothing. And what was undeniably a victory for government transparency had turned into another frustrating experience for Republicans, who repeatedly implored Trump to tell them exactly what he would accept in a DACA bill.

If you want to watch the video for yourself you can find it here (and probably other places on the internet).

Isn't just agreeing with whatever you're being told a coping mechanism for those dealing with dementia? I can see why his staff are nervous about the prospect of Trump giving a statement to Robert Mueller. I'm more nervous about what happens when he's alone in a room with Vladimir Putin.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

The problem is not getting him to agree to stuff. He'll agree. The problem is getting him to stick to it, because (as you can see) he'll agree with the next person with a different angle. He has all the leadership of a piece of boiled macaroni.

But, to brighten your day, this is
purely fun, from the incomparable Alexandra Petri.

It begins, "I am a lidless eye of flame that burns with violent hatred for all it gazes upon. My house is a volcano, and I command several armies of orcs. For many years, I have feared this would disqualify me from holding public office.

As an immortal being who demands the sacrifice of children and cannot abide the light of day, I had resigned myself to never serving in the Senate. Certainly not as a Republican, the party of Abraham Lincoln and Dwight D. Eisenhower, no matter how strongly I felt about tax reform."

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Surely Vlad would not be so daft as to be alone with The Great Goblin?

He (Vlad) would doubtless have one or two reliable witnesses ensconced behind a screen, or something, with hi-tech recording/video equipment, all complete, and got up regardless.

[Two face]

Re National Anthems, at least the Marseillaise is singable, and (IMHO) has a jolly good tune - which brings to mind that wonderful scene from Casablanca.

IJ

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

BTW, comparing The Orange One to the Dark Lord, Sauron The Great, is an insult to His Darkship, which has been duly noted, and passed on via the palantir which I happen to have by me.

(A palantir is a 'Seeing Stone', a sort of crystal, employed as a method of communication found in Lord Of The Rings, and turned to Evil Uses by Sauron).

I'll get me Elvish cloak...

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Trump's annual physical is Friday,

Will he show up for his physical?

In body, if not in mind.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
I'll see your Star Spangled Banner and raise you the Marseillaise
quote:
Let impure blood
Water our furrows

(hmm, maybe we need a "crappy national anthems" thread in Dead Horses...)
If you ever want to fall down a delightful Wikipedia hole, seek out the literal English translations (usually helpfully annotated by some dedicated Wiki editor) of various African national anthems. Highlight:
quote:
Senegal, we take on your great work:
To shelter the chicks from the falcons..,

Now to get this post back on track, I guess one of the biggest losers in the Sheriff Joe announcement is Kelli Ward, who was running on an America first, anti-immigrant platform. When you are going for the racist wing of your party and a racist with better name recognition jumps in, it doesn’t bode well for your election prospects...

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
BTW, comparing The Orange One to the Dark Lord, Sauron The Great, is an insult to His Darkship, which has been duly noted, and passed on via the palantir which I happen to have by me.

For those who are interested, there is a long-running comparison of Trump to another Tolkien character on Twitter.

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

Presumably inspired by this?

--------------------

TurquoiseTastic

Fish of a different color
# 8978

- Posted      Profile for TurquoiseTastic   Email TurquoiseTastic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Personally I would have picked Lotho Sackville-Baggins.
Posts: 1092 | From: Hants., UK | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
Presumably inspired by this?

Possibly the other way around. The Gollum J. Trump Twitter feed dates back before the election while I think Serkis only started doing Trump tweets as read by Gollum last summer. On the other hand, it's a fairly easy and amusing connection to make so it could be just an obvious idea that occurs to multiple people.

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:
Now to Joe Arpaio. While Joe has easily won the rural county he ruled over, it is much different winning over Phoenix and Tucson plus other places that are heavily Hispanic. He is going down, but if he divides the Republican party, the Democrats will take that seat.

Joe was the Sheriff of Maricopa County, which includes Phoenix and all of the cities that surround it. Only the outskirts are rural.
Candidates running for Trent Franks' seat are beginning to blight our street corners with posters. I noticed one yesterday for a candidate who brags "Endorsed by Joe Arpaio." In the minds of thinking folks like myself and Pigwidgeon, that's the kiss of death, but unfortunately to the yahoos of Phoenix and the surrounding cities it's a blessing from the hand of God Almighty himself.

Tucson is in Pima County, whose sheriff has his own shitload of scandals.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

And congratulations to Trump for passing the major milestone of 2,000 (publicly stated) lies told while in office! Truly unpresidented.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

This is a free click, cartoons in the style of Calvin & Hobbes.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

Two interesting developments today.

First, Senator Ben Cardin released a minority report on Russian cyberattacks on the U.S. election system [PDF]. (For those who don't have time for the whole thing Senator Cardin also posted a section-by-section summary [PDF] of the report.) For the record there is no majority report from the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. For whatever reason this is not something the Republican majority seems all that interested in.

Second, Robert Mueller has added a veteran cyber prosecutor to his team.

Pure coincidence, I'm sure.

--------------------

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:

It’s not weird at all if he’s in the early stages of dementia.
The traditional words to the Australian National Anthem (inclusive version) are:

"Australians all let us rehmm for hmmm mmmm ha and heee..."

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now Drump is suing Fusion-GPS for defamation. Big problem: there will be a discovery phase (meaning Trump would have to testify under oath).

Stay tuned.

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  65  66  67  68  69  70  71  ...  86  87  88 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016