homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Want to lose some weight? (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  9  10  11 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Want to lose some weight?
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
... Time to start the regime of soup & prawns ...

Soup and prawns? Do explain further! [Confused]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
... Time to start the regime of soup & prawns ...

Soup and prawns? Do explain further! [Confused]
Alternating meals. Instead of a proper dinner (steak, curry, roast chicken) you have a prawn dish one night and soup another. Both are fairly low fat, but prawns have a decent amount of protein. At the risk of this turning into a recipe thread, I tend to cook them with some chopped peppers & chillies, with some ginger and then add a big clutch of spinach for the last 3 minutes.

For soup, I tend to go with something from a can. Mulligatawny, oxtail and French onion (not adding a lump of cheese, as some people do with the latter) are my favourites.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Cranmer's baggage*
Shipmate
# 4937

- Posted      Profile for Cranmer's baggage*   Email Cranmer's baggage*   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Reporting in to keep this thread on page 1 (and to share my joy!). The scales were kind to me again this week - another 2kg (a bit over 4 pounds)gone. That means a total of 7.8 kg down since the beginning of December. Given that this included several Christmas & other social events, 3 weeks of house-guests, and a persistent leg injury that has limited my walking, never mind any more vigorous exercise, I feel very hopeful for the future. [Smile]

--------------------
Eschew obfuscation!

Posts: 729 | From: the antipodes | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cranmer's baggage*:
... a total of 7.8 kg down since the beginning of December ...

Good on you, CB - that's over a stone! [Yipee] [Overused]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Cranmer's baggage*
Shipmate
# 4937

- Posted      Profile for Cranmer's baggage*   Email Cranmer's baggage*   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
Good on you, CB - that's over a stone! [Yipee] [Overused]

Thanks Piglet. It is indeed over 1 stone. I'm really pleased about it, but when the total that needs to be dispatched is nearly 10 stone, it's still a bit daunting....

--------------------
Eschew obfuscation!

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well done CB!!

Now that my doctor has seen my knee x-ray I am cleared to re-start my walking programme again and also get back on my bike [Yipee]

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cranmer's baggage*:
Thanks Piglet. It is indeed over 1 stone. I'm really pleased about it, but when the total that needs to be dispatched is nearly 10 stone, it's still a bit daunting....

So 1/10 of the way there - brill!

I lost 0.1 Kg this week, but I have had two meals out so a slow-down was expected. Onwards and downwards!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just had the first weigh in for our work fat club. Lost 2.3% of my starting weight in a week. One chap lost 4.6%. Some people are starting to get very competitive.

--------------------

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Cranmer's baggage*
Shipmate
# 4937

Thanks for the encouragement, Huia and Boogie.
Sipech - I remember when Weight Watchers had a much more competitive feel than my local group has currently. I found it was all very well when I was losing consistently, but very demoralising when I hit a plateau.

[ 11. January 2016, 12:34: Message edited by: Cranmer's baggage* ]

--------------------
Eschew obfuscation!

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well done to all.

And the whole Christmas/New Year thing wasn't as bad for me as I had feared. Yes, overall there was a small gain (1lb), but given I spent much of the time as a guest in other people's houses where meals and eating patterns were rather different to those I've become accustomed to, I can live with that.
Now I'm back home and have stocked up the fridge, I'll soon be back to weight loss ways....

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've decided that buying a small, upright freezer so I can always have prepared healthy meals on hand would be a good idea. Sometimes I lack the motivation to cook and then eat something unwise. I have been known to get a pizza delivered, even though I don't particularly like them, just because it's available (it would be different if I loved them and having one was a once a month treat).

I'm planning a walk or ride tomorrow afternoon to the library. There's a good bike track that takes me away from traffic, and the roads are amongst the quietest in the city once I cross one major road.

Huia

--------------------

Cranmer's baggage*
Shipmate
# 4937

Huia, the freezer sounds like a very good plan. I'm not usually a fan of frozen ready-meals, but I find that having a couple in the freezer, and some tasty heat-and-eat soups in the pantry, really helps me stay on track.

--------------------
Eschew obfuscation!

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

They needn't be ready-meals; if you're cooking a casserole, soup, rice or pasta dish, make a double quantity and freeze the other half. You still have only to re-heat it, but you have the satisfaction of knowing exactly what's in it (and possibly more to the point) what isn't.

D. and I often don't eat the whole quantity of a recipe at one sitting, and the freezer (it's one like this, about half the size of the fridge below it) is nearly always well-stocked with tubs and bowls of left-overs that only need defrosting and re-heating.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Since I cook for one, I regularly cook a full recipe of something and then freeze it in one-serving portions, often enough for four or five more meals. It works well for me, but I know it doesn't for everyone.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cranmer's baggage*
Shipmate
# 4937

I'm well aware of the virtues of cooking larger quantities and freezing them in handy portions. However, after 40+ years of feeding several people every night, I've reached the point where I frankly can't be bothered. I'm happy to steam a few vegies and grill a piece of fish, chicken or steak and toss it all on a plate, but I really am not motivated to cook up batches of stuff.

For me, at the moment, the commercial stuff works well.

[ 13. January 2016, 00:10: Message edited by: Cranmer's baggage* ]

--------------------
Eschew obfuscation!

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

I think I will probably have a mixture of both for variety. I've never had that daily slog of having to feed numbers of people, but I can understand how you can get beyond it - I know my Mum did. One of the reasons she enjoyed coming to visit was not being responsible for the meals. She said any meal someone else cooked was a good one. [Big Grin]

Now that my knee seems to have settled down I've decided to consult the exercise woman from the Green Prescription course I did last year. I want to work out some kind of programme to get back on track, rather than the occasional walk. Without getting carried away, I need some discipline in my life [Help]

Huia

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

Had another weigh-in this morning. Have lost half a stone in a fortnight, but am not even in the top 3 as measured by % of starting weight lost.

Have been on a diet of a boiled egg for breakfast, small salad for lunch and a proper dinner only every other day (soup & fruit being what passes for dinner on the alternate days).

I've been walking 2-4 miles a day with 12 over the weekend, but I think if I'm to win our competition (ends on the 1st of Feb), I'll need to go for some longer hikes in the next two weekends.

--------------------

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Half a stone in a fortnight sounds fine to me. Don't starve yourself to win the competition, or you may find the weight comes right back as soon as you stop dieting. The recommended rate (last time I checked) was 1-2 pounds per week after the first couple of weeks of being on the diet.

[ 18. January 2016, 12:56: Message edited by: Jane R ]

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cranmer's baggage*
Shipmate
# 4937

Sipech, I agree with JaneR that half a stone is a good loss. It sounds like you're already eating only the minimum for sensible weight-loss. Please keep in mind the bigger picture - the thing that matters is a healthier you, not a competition prize.

--------------------
Eschew obfuscation!

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Also bear in mind that with more-than-usual exercise, some of your fat may turn to muscle, which is heavier, and might skew your results.

Good on you though, for doing as well as you are - that sounds pretty excellent! [Overused]

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

Thanks folks.

I know my limits, so won't do anything stupid. Am aware of the risk of adding muscle, which is why I'm trying mostly aerobic exercise (mostly walking) rather than doing weights.

My first ambition is to get my tie to hang vertically down, rather than at an oblique angle as it follows the contours of my protruding belly.

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Alright, if you want to lose weight quickly then not all exercise is equal. Weights long-term are good, as muscle burns more calories than fat but for short term make a minimal difference. Walking does better but doing enough is hard, you'd need to be doing full day hikes several times a week. The two ones that will work quickly are running and strenuous lap swimming. For me*, they are about the same with running perhaps having the edge. For a competition swimmer then swimming would be the best while for most it is easier to get the calorie burn off running.

Jengie

*I am a decent leisure swimmer, swimming about a kilometer in thirty minutes but not competition; competition swimmers are about twice as fast.

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Although muscle is heavier, it is also denser - so putting ona bit of muscle will probably flatten your stomach and make you a bit narrower anyway. (Plus muscle is good for you !)

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Weight loss results can vary quite a bit. In the past I managed to lose a significant amount of weight and my only exercise was walking - mainly on the flat and I seldom exercised for more than 2 hours/day.

Today has been brilliant. A visit to the diabetic dietician, with a weigh-in that confirmed I had lost weight, despite all the time I spent not moving when I was in pain over Christmas, (not to mention my poor eating).

This along with a good result for my blood sugar means I must be doing something right.

Second visit was to the physio about managing my exercise so I don't damage my knee further. I can manage a total of 40 minutes walking, broken into 2 twenty minute walks, but the downside is no bike riding for at least a fortnight [Waterworks]
Still, it's far better than being in pain and I managed to make one of my walks today beside the sea.

Huia

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have always carried weight on my bottom / thighs. At one point in my 20s I was (just) overweight, despite having a 24 inch waist.

I have always worn a smaller size on my top half and a larger size for skirts and trousers.

Something is changing; my weight hasn't gone up, but my stomach is getting much bigger; I seem to be redistributing from being a pear shape to being an apple.

Is this just because I am fat, or is an age / menopause thing?

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Cranmer's baggage*
Shipmate
# 4937

quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:

This is not a medical opinion! I think a lot of women do change shape post-menopause, in the way you describe. However, there is a body of medical opinion that holds that being Apple-shaped increases the risk of diabetes and health disease. You may want to look at tge sort of diet normally prescribed for those conditions, and modify your eating in those directions.

--------------------
Eschew obfuscation!

Hilda of Whitby
Shipmate
# 7341

- Posted      Profile for Hilda of Whitby   Email Hilda of Whitby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
I have always carried weight on my bottom / thighs. At one point in my 20s I was (just) overweight, despite having a 24 inch waist.

I have always worn a smaller size on my top half and a larger size for skirts and trousers.

Something is changing; my weight hasn't gone up, but my stomach is getting much bigger; I seem to be redistributing from being a pear shape to being an apple.

It sounds like "menopooch". Lots of women get stubborn fat on their lower belly (the "pooch") with menopause--even women who didn't have any before.

Article about this--research was done by the Mayo Clinic.

--------------------
"Born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad."

Posts: 412 | From: Nickel City | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A friend of mine complains that her post-menopausal figure is shifting from Julia Roberts to Margaret Dumont. It doesn't mention it in the Mayo article, but both she and I noticed other fat storage taking place, up on top. My bra size has gone up.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Cranmer's baggage*
Shipmate
# 4937

Breathing new life into this thread because I need somewhere to boast that I've now lost 10kg (10.2 to be precise) or 22.4 pounds. Perhaps the most exciting part of this is that I'm beginning to rediscover my waistline. When I started, my waist was almost the same as my bust and hips - now, there is a few inches difference! This is good both in terms of appearance and health. [Yipee]

--------------------
Eschew obfuscation!

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A very good reason to bring the thread back to life. Well done, especially with Christmas and holiday January.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

The work fat club is over. Lost 13.8 pounds in January. Still overweight, but I'm a lot better than I was. Now, I think I need to concentrate more on generally improving my fitness.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Go Cranmer's Baggage [Yipee]

I'm going to check in with the Practice Nurse at Medical centre next week to keep me on track for when I next see the diabetic dietician in 5 months.

Huia

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's great Cranmer's baggage* and Sipech!

My weight loss continues - it's s.l.o.w but I either lose a little or stay the same every week.

I find I'm not hungry! Because I am only allowed healthy food (friut, veg, meat with a small amout of milk/porridge/cheese) I don't wamt to eat all day. I have to make myself eat a helthy lunch or I'd happily have nothing.

This goes to prove that all my 'hunger' was simply sugar/carb craving.

Onwards and downwards!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What brilliant posts! I haven't been on this thread before, but reading these has increased my motivation to lose more weight.

My diabetic check up was good recently, with Hb1Ac and blood pressure readings both very good, but I want to get rid of that exact stomach flab mentioned above! We're in it together, shipmates... [Biased]

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Well done Sipech and CB! [Yipee]

I haven't weighed myself in ages (am wimp) but over the last couple of weeks I sort of feel as if I may have lost a squit of weight (possibly due in part to a spot of RL stress). If it would just motivate me to try a bit harder ...

D's niece is getting married in the summer - it would do me no harm at all to try and look a bit less lumpen than I do at the moment.

I already have an outfit (bought for a wedding a year or two ago, but only worn once, and not in the same company [Big Grin] ). It fits me, but as the dress is a stretchy, floppy sort of material it sort of fits where it touches, so it probably wouldn't matter if there was a bit less of me for it to fit ...

--------------------

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh yes, I am a Happy kingsfold. I've now lost two stone [Yipee]

--------------------
I came to Jesus and I found in him my star, my sun.
And in that light of life I'll walk 'til travelling days are done

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cranmer's baggage*
Shipmate
# 4937

Well done Sipech, Boogie & Kingsfold. Isn't it great when the perseverance starts to pay off?

--------------------
Eschew obfuscation!

Bronwyn
Shipmate
# 52

- Posted      Profile for Bronwyn   Email Bronwyn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm really struggling with health issues and have lost 30kg which I'm not meant to be losing as I'm recovering from major surgery. Dietician is suggesting supplements which I'm taking yet I keep thinking I could now...fit into so many more clothes...still I feel so dreadful I shouldn't think this but simply concerntrate on my health and loose weight after I'm improved.

--------------------
Fragile X syndrome is part of our lives. Someone I love makes me proud who has this syndrome. I love you Miriam.

Posts: 1221 | From: Melbourne (Australia) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Dragging this up from the depths to skite [Roll Eyes]

I have lost a bit more weight, but even better than that I have rediscovered Nordic Walking which I hope will enable me to exercise more fully without damaging my knee further.

I did about an hour this morning and this evening am still feeling the buzz.

Huia [Yipee]

--------------------

Bronwyn
Shipmate
# 52

- Posted      Profile for Bronwyn   Email Bronwyn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Internal healing still happening but I think...I need to start watching my weight. My appetite is back and I don't want to regain pre illness weight but I'm to a point where although losing isn't acceptable but maintaining is a must.

--------------------
Fragile X syndrome is part of our lives. Someone I love makes me proud who has this syndrome. I love you Miriam.

Posts: 1221 | From: Melbourne (Australia) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

I've managed to lose another 0.8 of a Kg --> 6 Kg to target and it is all gathered round my middle as a spare tyre!

Patting myself on the back 'tho for resisting all the lovely cakes at our coffee morning yesterday!

🍰 🍰 🍰 🍰

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well done Boogie, especially the cakes.

I am wondering what will happen on Saturday. I have been eating fairly low carb high protein for just over a week now. Told my son who asked me to do it that I will not be as rigourous as he is. However, in that short time, over a kilo has come off.

Saturday? Middle son is getting married again at noon. Reception is at Old Government House at Parramatta. Fairly swanky . I would call it afternoon tea, it is not a meal. However, the restaurant calls it high tea. I know, I know, but that's not my problem.

Things start off with a savoury course. I imagine tiny sausage rolls, perhaps some sandwiches, mini quiches? Am guessing. Then what everyone is waiting for. Stand after stand of luscious cakes. Champagne and wedding cake, not fruit cake and not mudcake, but something gooey and sweet.

Obviously I will have to compromise. It is my son after all. Equally I don't want to be peeling off pastry or bread to just eat fillings, and It would be rude to sit there refusing things.

Any suggestions? Second kilo is beginning to slide this morning and I don't want to sabotage that. Might have to put something on my plate and toy with that as I once saw an anorexic teen do to give impression she was eating.

[ 06. March 2016, 21:48: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Any chance of infiltating a bottle of sparkling water into the proceedings? Top up your glass with that and it will mean you are soberer and well hydrated and less susceptible to unwise choices. Get a wodge of cake on your plate and eat it - crumb by crumb - while mainly swigging from your bubbly glass and chatting to people.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Good idea about mineral water. Thanks.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Any chance of infiltating a bottle of sparkling water into the proceedings? Top up your glass with that and it will mean you are soberer and well hydrated and less susceptible to unwise choices. Get a wodge of cake on your plate and eat it - crumb by crumb - while mainly swigging from your bubbly glass and chatting to people.

I've heard of people spiking their punch at teetotal weddings, but this is the first I've heard of the opposite. [Big Grin]
It really is a good idea, though.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Have also heard of teetotallers putting angostura bitters into lemonade so it looks like beer. [Frown] . Or making lemon, lime and bitters.

[ 06. March 2016, 23:41: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nephew Person called the other night and, before he left, weighed himself so I followed suit and that evening I was back down to 75 kgs!

A happy WW!

The next few kgs will be tough to shift but I'll still have a go.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
Have also heard of teetotallers putting angostura bitters into lemonade so it looks like beer. [Frown] . Or making lemon, lime and bitters.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but Angostura Bitters is not alcohol free. It is 44.7% ABV, although generally only used much diluted.

Sorry to be pedantic but this information can be important for people who cannot tolerate alcohol even in homeopathic dilutions.

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Posts: 600 | From: Cloud Cuckoo Land | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

- Posted      Profile for justlooking   Author's homepage   Email justlooking   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
.... I would call it afternoon tea, it is not a meal. However, the restaurant calls it high tea. I know, I know, but that's not my problem.

Things start off with a savoury course. I imagine tiny sausage rolls, perhaps some sandwiches, mini quiches? Am guessing. Then what everyone is waiting for. Stand after stand of luscious cakes. Champagne and wedding cake, not fruit cake and not mudcake, but something gooey and sweet.

'High Tea' in my neck of the woods means a knife-and-fork savoury course as a starter (either a salad platter with cold meat/fish or a hot course) plus a selection of cakes, possibly also scones with jam and cream plus fresh fruit or some fruit based dessert. And tea.

Good luck with the diet.

[ 13. March 2016, 14:36: Message edited by: justlooking ]

Posts: 2319 | From: thither and yon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Thanks. The wedding was lovely bar the heat in high 30s and high humidity.

Savoury course was finger food.finger sandwiches with savoury fillings, tiny pies, assorted fillings, cheeses etc. sweet side had fresh wholemeal scones, tiny cakes, chocolate dipped strawberries etc. and champagne. It was too hot to eat much, two finger sandwiches with egg or chicken. Less than a slice of bread involved. One scone which I did not like, it had sugar in it, something I never add to scones. A strawberry, some water and three glasses of lovely champagne, small flutes.i think I sweated them out immediately.

Lots of fun from the matrons of honour and a good time by pretty eell everyone. My niece's polo accident put a dampener on it for my side of the family. Details in antipodean thread.

I drank about a gallon of water when I arrived home in early evening.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  9  10  11 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016