homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Lands of the Southern Cross (Page 23)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  ...  29  30  31 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Lands of the Southern Cross
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sounds about right!

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
after the freakazoids tried to drive us out of the church and excommunicated us. I figured they made a decent symbol for Christian stubbornness.

Which reminds me ... we really should start a survivors' club [Tear]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] for LC, Zappa and all ministers and people who have faced crazy congregations.

I am off to Darwin for 4 days for a work conference next month. I'm going to extend it to the weekend to give me 2 days to explore. And fly on the red eye Sunday night straight back to work! [Help]

Have any here been there? I see a 2 day tour to Kakadu exists, as does a one day to Litchfield, the waterfalls of which look amazing. Any suggestions? Thanks. I have 2 full days (the weekend).

[ 24. August 2017, 08:44: Message edited by: Ian Climacus ]

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Last night in chilly Adelaide. UCA conferences are interesting things....

I missed Middle's band playing in a band competition at The Metro theatre on Tuesday night. They came second and are through to the semi finals. Looks like they should be able to get the semi on 12 October, as the alternative is 15 October, the day before English and Music HSC papers. Phew.

I'm doing support crew for some friends who are doing the Oxfam trail walk starting tomorrow. I'll be doing 4 am , 8 am , 12 pm Saturday check points, cooking up a storm out of the back of a small camper van. Why did I say yes to that????

mr curly

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ian Climacus wrote:
quote:
I am off to Darwin for 4 days for a work conference next month...Any suggestions?
Ian, Dangerous Deacon may be your man, as he is now almost four years into his ministry at the cathedral, and will also be current on any local events at the time you're there.
Posts: 375 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
after the freakazoids tried to drive us out of the church and excommunicated us. I figured they made a decent symbol for Christian stubbornness.

Which reminds me ... we really should start a survivors' club [Tear]
Can D. and I join too?

Although, TBH, the freakazoids rather did us a favour; we love it at our New Place.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh yeah, all things work together for good and all that.

I think a survivors' club is a great idea.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In the meantime I'm part of a sort of rolling shipmeet at the moment ... staying with The Coot, Foaming, Clarence, catching up with Piers Plowman, Rexory ... embarcing Evensong with prayers as she attends to he unwell mother ... and probably more

Off in a few moments to the Western western isle to check out the scenery ...

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A bit of turmoil chez moi at the moment.
After almost two years of searching for a new minister, the appointed Board and Parish Council, who are becoming very weary, have produced a candidate. He is South African, and currently at a parish not far from here and long known as the most conservative in the Presbytery. (No offence meant, MaryLouise, but SA theological training has proved to be like that; an old friend stuck loyally with his local Presbyterian church until the minister from SA preached on the theme that our life on earth is solely to prepare us for the Life to Come, then he fled.)
Well, the man Preached for a Call on Sunday and his sermon was the feeblest I've ever heard; the text was the story of the feeding of the 5000 and the boy with two loaves and five fishes; and all he did was re-tell the story. He may have referred to the small boy's example of generosity, but whether that led to others sharing or whether God multiplied the food (not something that I would expect) was not very clear. The big shock had been when we found ourselves repeating the old version of the Lord's Prayer, which we haven't used for decades; but some of us stubbornly recited the words we're used to.
We are a very united, loving congregation, but one or two seemed to like the man; half a dozen at least were as dismayed as I was. Someone spoke of the risk of the congregation shrinking without a minister; I don't think this has happened, but it will if there's a majority for this man. He came described by people we know as pleasant and with a warmth of manner – and it mustn't have been easy for him to be answering questions from a large circle of strangers. But after half a century here I think I'd have to go where I'd feel theologically comfortable, and that might be to the church where our wonderful Lay Supply's wife is the pastor.
Not all Shipmates would be theologically on my side, but 'thanks for listening'.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That sounds dreadful GG - not just a sermon with which you had a very understandable theological question, but feeble as well. The Oz Presbyterians are a very conservative group indeed, so little chance of finding one here unless you look to the Uniting Church - organised along generally Presbyteran lines.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
GG, I'm so sorry to hear what you're going through. I do know that there are extremely conservative elements in South African denominations as well as some very antiquated ideas and practices. I hope that your congregation finds someone more suitable, if there is still time. And listening to inept or theologically unacceptable sermons week after week wearies the spirit.

Like others here, I've experienced my share of crazymaking church behaviour and although I've hung in there, I find myself much more wary and guarded when it comes to active participation. A pity.

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Posts: 646 | From: Cape Town | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
That sounds dreadful GG - not just a sermon with which you had a very understandable theological question, but feeble as well. The Oz Presbyterians are a very conservative group indeed, so little chance of finding one here unless you look to the Uniting Church - organised along generally Presbyterian lines.

I've happily worshiped with the Uniting Church of Australia (in a congregation who had obviously been Methodist) and the UCC in Canada, a much older union. In each country there exists a continuing Presbyterian church of ultra-conservative customs and beliefs.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
GG, I am really sorry. Pleasant and having a warm manner wouldn't be sufficient for me either. We had several such people filling in while we were without a Minister, and it was only because I love the congregation that I could not just walk away.

I know it can be difficult finding the right person, but what was he thinking of to answer a call to a church with markedly different theology to his own? Being in the same city he must have an idea of how different the church is from the one he comes from, or is he hoping to 'convert' you all to a more traditional approach?

When we had our current Minister preach for a call, the congregational vote was taken straight after the service (one abstention, all the rest in favour). When will you know the result?

I know it would cause you pain if you felt you had to leave, and I hope it doesn't come to that, but I also know how painful it can be sitting through limp sermons.

At the very least I'm glad there is an alternative available, but it's a luke-warm kind of comfort.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Galloping Granny:
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
That sounds dreadful GG - not just a sermon with which you had a very understandable theological question, but feeble as well. The Oz Presbyterians are a very conservative group indeed, so little chance of finding one here unless you look to the Uniting Church - organised along generally Presbyterian lines.

I've happily worshiped with the Uniting Church of Australia (in a congregation who had obviously been Methodist) and the UCC in Canada, a much older union. In each country there exists a continuing Presbyterian church of ultra-conservative customs and beliefs.

GG

You would probably not be happy at the Presbyterian church relatively close to me, GG. Walking distance actually.
The church has changed quite bit from when Peter Cameron was the minister and was charged with heresy. it is very conservative now. There are many references on line to this trial.

[ 28. August 2017, 09:09: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

- Posted      Profile for rexory   Author's homepage   Email rexory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Our friend and erstwhile shipmate, FD, has a "significant" birthday today; and here in the Golden West we get to celebrate with him. Eat your hearts out, Easterners!

--------------------
Our first words on getting to heaven will be "Ohhh!", with an air of "Now I understand!" - CS Lewis, via Philip Yancey, "What Good is God", 2010

Posts: 2974 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by rexory:
Our friend and erstwhile shipmate, FD, has a "significant" birthday today; and here in the Golden West we get to celebrate with him. Eat your hearts out, Easterners!

Yes, a reminder from ancient history popped onto my screen just now.

Happy birthday and have a wonderful day over there.

[ 28. August 2017, 22:35: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I hope FD has a wonderful birthday, and makes a good recovery from the celebrations [Axe murder]

Huia

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

I was unpacking my grocery order when I picked up a box of panko breadcrumbs. Not used often but I like to have them available.

The pack said the crumbs were made from at least 100% Australian ingredients. ???

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Now if they were really patriotic it would be at least 101% [Big Grin]

Lovely day here, despite rain being forecast 6.30pm and I'm in a sleeveless top (and trou) and haven't yet turned on any heating and the front door is still open -- Spring's here!

Ahem - just looked up the forecast for the next 3 days - fog and rain [Frown] Glad I don't have to travel.

Huia

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A happy birthday to Foaming Draft.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Curly:
Today, we voted to call a new minister. It was a good meeting, and the new person looks excellent. Processes etc etc to follow, should start 1 December.

Not sure about his citizenship, hopefully it's Heaven.

mr curly

Word is out on our appointment and people usually say something like "Oh, that's a good match." Our kids are excited because they know his kids through UCA youth camps and shared music interests - his son was able to come to Middle's big gig last week.

Meanwhile I've been asked to go on (yet) another UCA committee to be a "younger, mission focused voice." At 54, I am both flattered and horrified. And said no - it would be a conflict of interest with my current Synod employment

mr curly

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy birthday to Foaming Draught - hope he had several draughts! [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
... Spring's here ...

Goodness - isn't it a bit early? I only say this because there doesn't seem to be much sign of Autumn here - it was 27° this afternoon ... [Eek!]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Piglet, today's weather tells me I was being overly optimistic. [Waterworks] The worst snowfall I've encountered in Christchurch was at the end of August, but we have had enough warm days for daffodils and the grass to star a growth spurt.

Huia

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

I had a bit of a helpful chat (lecture) on the phone yesterday from one who knows us – ordained but has avoided taken official role when she has husband, family, and chaplaincy to keep her busy. She was taking the service at a nearby church on Sunday but slipped back and to hide out in the kitchen during the discussion.
She gave it to me very kindly for ten minutes and left me thinking.
Some thoughts: that our candidate actually wanted to get away from his current evangelical parish and learn about other ways of thinking and doing church.
That although our present preacher is much liked, there is a wide range of actual belief in the parish.
That his response to a bit of a bombshell that I lobbed at him was to say 'We could have a chat over a coffee' rather than a more threatening 'discussion'.
This has left Granny rather looking forward to making friends with the new man – because I gather there won't be much opposition to appointing him 'for a five year term'.
Not that my lifetime's journey is likely to double back to beliefs that I left behind long ago.
And I don't think he'll mind being told that we ceased using the old form of the Lord's Prayer several decades ago, and please could we use the modern form (actually when I'm leading worship I use one of several such as Dorothy McRae-McMahon's).
GG

[ 30. August 2017, 00:00: Message edited by: Galloping Granny ]

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

GG, that sounds like there is space for accommodation, and goes some way to answering my question about 'what was he thinking of?'

Meanwhile on the political front things are interesting -as in that curse about living in interesting times. In international ratings NZ scores highly as a country with little corruption, but at election time all kinds of scandals pop up, and I wonder if we are just better at covering up than most places.

Huia

--------------------

Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Great to see FD, rexory, Clarence, Zappa, AdamPater and jugular for FD's birthday bash last night. Jimmy and Evensong were greatly missed.

--------------------
So don't ever call me lucky
You don't know what I done, what it was, who I lost, or what it cost me
- A B Original: I C U

----
Love is as strong as death (Song of Solomon 8:6).

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Belated birthday wishes to FD. He may be especially blessed to know that this is my very first post from our new pc, which happily sprang into life a few minutes ago after dutifully uploading everything on the old back up drive. I was so pleased to see the SoF glyph pop up on the sidebar!

It is a relief to be back on-line again - just goes to show how much we rely on computer access for everything from recipes to managing accounts. We were in Officeworks today trying to purchase the pc, with poor TP having to beg on-line access to a store computer because the banking app on my phone would not open. Then, because he had lost his good glasses in the garden a few days ago, he couldn't see properly in his old glasses to put the correct pins in. It has been a comedy of errors, but we are finally back in the 21st century. I almost hooted with laughter when the checkout girl asked if we would like the receipt e-mailed to us and TP demanded a hard copy instead. I think he just needed the reassurance of something concrete to hang on to!

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Good that you're now all go BL.

I can sympathise with TP, I went grocery shopping with my reading glasses on today it was so frustrating and because I was later than usual the helpful shelf fillers weren't around to reach for things on the high shelf. (It's discrimination against short people).

Tomorrow I hope to be connected to fibre broadband. It's taken a while as I didn't want to face it until I had been to Wellington. Pure, the internet provider I'm using didoes offer a DIY option for connecting, but they also have experts who will do all that stuff for $75, and I figure my sanity is worth at least that, I think there may also be some issues with the computer itself, [Frown] but I will ask for clarification.

Huia

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

Huia said
quote:
I can sympathise with TP, I went grocery shopping with my reading glasses on today it was so frustrating and because I was later than usual the helpful shelf fillers weren't around to reach for things on the high shelf. (It's discrimination against short people).
In New World there is usually a staff member round when you can't reach the top shelf, but if not a taller customer will always oblige if asked nicely. Not so many staff in Countdown.
Then there's my trick for the Apple Tea: I hook it off the shelf with my cane and it lands right in my waiting trolley.
My party trick.

GG

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

My solution is to go with one of my 6'5" sons. Otherwise I ask a taller customer. I have never had a refusal and all have been happy to help out a shorty. Even 6' son can get most high things.

Not so easy at home however, and I notice my smoker has now been put on top shelf in my store room/pantry here. No way could I get that down,even with standing on sturdy, safe kitchen steps. I have a family of giants. Even both DILS are basically 6'. I am 5'3", not really all that short but too short for high cupboards and shelves.

[ 31. August 2017, 11:11: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
My solution is to go with one of my 6'5" sons. Otherwise I ask a taller customer. I have never had a refusal and all have been happy to help out a shorty. Even 6' son can get most high things.

I have the other problem, especially in shoe shops. Tall people tend to have larger feet so why are the size 12+ (continental 46+) shoes on the bottom shelf? So they don't look so big? Look Mr Shoe Retailer, you don't have so many large shoes anyway, so put them where we can see and reach them. At 6'2 and 60 years old I'm starting to creak a bit.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

quote:
Originally posted by Galloping Granny:
In New World there is usually a staff member round when you can't reach the top shelf, but if not a taller customer will always oblige if asked nicely. Not so many staff in Countdown.
Then there's my trick for the Apple Tea: I hook it off the shelf with my cane and it lands right in my waiting trolley.
My party trick.

GG

This was a New World, I avoid CD as their staff tend to be less helpful. I just timed it badly.

Don't try your stick trick with the eggs though
[Biased]

Huia

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I'm glad to know I'm not the only shorty who isn't shy of asking someone less vertically challenged to reach something from a high shelf ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

I am now connected to Fibre Broadband [Yipee] [Yipee]

The expert who connected it up for me also did some small adjustments that make life so much easier. He was brilliant - but he also works independently so I can call on him with other problems that come up, as the company I used to use have been sold, and my contact person, who was brilliant, is on her O.E (= Overseas Experience)term used in NZ for someone - usually a young person going overseas for the first time).

So if anyone meets a Kiwi called Sara, be especially helpful to her please [Smile] ).

Huia

[ 01. September 2017, 03:55: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------

MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Another shorty here. I have a small step-ladder in the garage and keep an eye out for tall shop assistants or gormless bearded hipsters who are never in a hurry because rushing is uncool.

Beginning of September, officially the first day of spring. Plenty of sunshine but freezing cold. I am going to cut an armful of spiky orange strelitzias and their long paddle leaves in the garden and take them round to brighten up an old age home nearby.

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Posts: 646 | From: Cape Town | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

quote:
Originally posted by MaryLouise:
Another shorty here. I have a small step-ladder in the garage and keep an eye out for tall shop assistants or gormless bearded hipsters who are never in a hurry because rushing is uncool.

Beginning of September, officially the first day of spring. Plenty of sunshine but freezing cold. I am going to cut an armful of spiky orange strelitzias and their long paddle leaves in the garden and take them round to brighten up an old age home nearby.

My wonderful winter flowering kowhai still has a scattering of blossoms, having started in early June.
The 'common' kowhai are just preparing to be totally covered with flowers which will last a week or two and then that's it.
I'd never noticed in previous years, but the ground near the tree is speckled with the bright yellow seeds from last year – the pods must burst as spring comes.

GG

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
My solution is to go with one of my 6'5" sons. Otherwise I ask a taller customer. I have never had a refusal and all have been happy to help out a shorty.

When the university is in session there is usually a student around who will reach things down for me. I make myself useful to students by answering food questions, such as explaining the difference between baking powder and baking soda.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
quote:
My solution is to go with one of my 6'5" sons. Otherwise I ask a taller customer. I have never had a refusal and all have been happy to help out a shorty.

When the university is in session there is usually a student around who will reach things down for me. I make myself useful to students by answering food questions, such as explaining the difference between baking powder and baking soda.

Moo

Not too many around who could do that.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Controlled burns are on this weekend. Perfect conditions for it. Cool and no wind. Such conditions are needed but no wind means that from early morning the smoke has been streaming to the city. Burning off is on in Central coast and Blue Mountains as well as further afield.

I have everything shut but smell of smoke is seeping in from somewhere.

This is often a case of damned if burning off is done or not done. I find the smoke affects my sinuses but put up with it knowing that a big fire would inflict far more smoke and actual damage than a controlled burn. There has been notice of the burns this weekend, so hopefully that will minimise complaints.

If anyone has seen a true bushfire, or fought against one as I have done, then complaining seems petty. The place we built in bush was always in danger because of location and was destroyed by fire some years after we sold it.

[ 01. September 2017, 22:42: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

friggin freezing in Perth this morning [Frown]

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Big snow due to hit all of the Southeast bits of Australia. Air mass coming to Oz from the Antarctic has a temp of -29C, and gale force winds accompanying it.
So the most snow all year will fall just as all the gardens are about to host their Spring bulb shows. It figures. Wind and cloud is building over Canberra, and I expect everyone will be back to shivering by tomorrow.

BL. Still dreaming of palm trees.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Batten the hatches Banner Lady. Snow was forecast for Banks Peninsula too (the bit on the map that sticks out on the East Coast of the Sth Island).

It was so cold when we got to church this morning because a power cut had stuffed up the automatic setting of the heaters, that we had the service in the church lounge.

I am feeling particularly frustrated because my land-line phone has lost its dial tone. I have just transferred internet providers and I think that has something to do with it. Ironically the switch-over was meant to improve the phone service [Waterworks] [Mad] [Waterworks]

Huia - considering pigeon post or smoke signals to keep in touch.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

I'll keep an eye out Huia. No pigeons please, I have just spent several hundred dollars on anti-pigeon works here. However, I will keep an eye out for smoke signals. They may be muddled with smoke from controlled burns, but I will watch. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I think you might have to burn rather a lot of stuff to get the smoke signals to me, Huia. Hope you get your phone fixed ASAP.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

I have just remembered that the council are trying to lower smoke emissions here and billowing smoke invites a visit from some friendly council officers with free kindling and instructions on only burning dry wood in a clean air approved burner. Subsequent visits (I gather, are not as friendly [Biased] ).

Huia

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Good advice, Huia. I think your signals would have become garbled whern mixed in from smoke from RFS burnoffs.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Two lovely young men turned up and played with it for a while. They were intrigued because they hadn't come across whatever it was that wasn't working before, but they fixed it. [Big Grin]

It takes a bit of getting used to the speed of the broadband, but I am really happy. It was also a relief to know that the problem wasn't related to my technopeasant tendencies. [Cool]

It was also a source of relief that I didn't need a new phone. I priced the latest version of the one I have - over $250 (it has a loud speaker and ringer, as well as adjustable volume and tone and a remote cordless handset with a charging base). As the phone id connected to the internet I no longer am dependent on the copper wiring system that breaks down in heavy rainfall or the smallest aftershock. [Yipee]

Huia

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Good news all round for you, Huia.

[ 04. September 2017, 07:09: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Even better is the fact that being connected to fibre broadband means the quality of sound is better and it's louder I might even be able to hear my brother whose voice is fairly quiet due to Parkinson's. It would be good to be able to speak to him, letters and cards aren't the same as hearing a voice.

Huia

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I hear fibres are good for you and healthy!

That's really good news, Huia! [Smile]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  ...  29  30  31 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016