homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Tea and biscuits or GIN and tonic? Britain 2018 (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Tea and biscuits or GIN and tonic? Britain 2018
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's not quite 2018 yet here, but probably time to fold up the old thread and unpack a bright, shiny new one for the New Year.

The kettle's on, the ice and lemon are chilling for the GIN, so off we go ...

In case I'm not around before midnight*, Happy New Year to one and all!

* I probably won't be, as I've got Things To Do before our friends come round, and it'll be well into tomorrow for you folk by the time they leave.

[ 31. December 2017, 15:11: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We had a spot of drama at church this morning: one of the ladies in the choir took not well during the service, and had to be taken off in an ambulance (which she tried to resist, bless her, as she thought it would be expensive ...)

Busy afternoon ahead once D. finishes the second service, what with making haggis, tidying the château ...

Be good over the New Year, and if you can't be good, be careful! [Devil]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, Happy 2018 to all in Ukland, Canadia, Usania, and other countries whose names I forget (or can't spell).

A tad damp and gloomy here, though mild. Tomato and Basil SOUP for Tea, I think!

[Big Grin]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Place marking as a frequent reader but infrequent poster. Happy New Year to all Little Britainers and in particular thinking of Our Indian Correspondent .
Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, Ferijen. I was thinking of him this morning. I have email but will not use it because I do not know how busy the household is. Twin toddlers can cause a commotion.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Indeed they do, but I can truthfully report that the old grump adores every minute of it. Except when they stomp on his feet.

I do so miss him here. He has been my friend for longer than we have been on the ship.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Happy New Year everyone. May 2018 bring good health and happiness to us all.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Happy New Year everyone.

And soon to be 'Happy New Ship'!

I like the new thread title [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Happy New Year everyone, I hope it is a good one for us all. I too miss WW, specially at this time of new 2018 threads.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Happy New Year to all!
Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Raining here again, and the leaks in the Palace roof (I think there must be a crack in the flashing somewhere - difficult to tell exactly where, though) are letting a small but VERY ANNOYING drip of water into the Episcopal bedchamber.

[Mad]

Ah well - back to the WHISKY bottle, I think. Might as well start the year as I mean to go on, as I find that WHISKY cancels out all the adverse side-effects of the meds I have to take.

(I am being facetious).

[Two face]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm just popping in to wish everyone a peraceful and happy 2018. God willing.

I often read this thread on a computer where I'm not actually logged into the Ship, but I am on my own PC today.

Tea, GIN, hot chocolate, whisky, wine - whatever your tipple is, I wish you many mugsfull of it!

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Raining here again, and the leaks in the Palace roof (I think there must be a crack in the flashing somewhere - difficult to tell exactly where, though) are letting a small but VERY ANNOYING drip of water into the Episcopal bedchamber.

Those sorts of leak are very hard to pin down - the place where the water comes out seems to have no relation to where it gets in! My late father-in-law struggled with such a drip for years!

We had a minor flood on Saturday with an overflowing toilet cistern leading to water dripping through the ceiling below, however no damage seems to be caused. Why do these things always happen on holiday weekends?

My wife - coming from North of the Border - is the whisky drinker of the two of us. But she only developed a taste for it fairly recently.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I too have become a fan of whisky in my later years. It is frigidissimo here (12 degrees F) and tonight I think we must have whisky macs.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Popping in to say “Um, hello...” and wave a bit.
Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Brenda says:
quote:
I think we must have whisky macs.
No, no, WHISKY is only at all efficacious when completely undiluted, even by ice cubes!

[Eek!]

IJ

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As I said elsewhere. [Angel]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
... WHISKY is only at all efficacious when completely undiluted, even by ice cubes!

I'd concur regarding the ice-cubes (heresy), but according to a friend who used to be the manager of the Highland Park distillery, the correct way to drink good whisky* is with just a splash of spring water.

We had a very enjoyable evening taking in the New Year with our friends; apart from a splash added to the haggis mixture, it was sans whisky, but avec rather a lot of wine, some with bubbles.

The only fly in the ointment is that D. seems to have caught the cold that I had a few weeks ago, and it's manifesting itself in him having almost completely lost his voice. He can get a word or two out, then sort of fades to a squeak, and I'm finding that I want to clear his throat for him.

[Frown]

* If you're drinking inferior whisky, you can put what you like in it. [Devil]

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

If you're drinking inferior WHISKY, best put Poison in it, and finish the job properly....

Poor D., though - not a good start to the year. Hopefully, he'll recover before he next has to address the choristers in a Loud Voice.

IJ

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

We have choir practice on Thursday: I hope he's got a bit of voice back by then!

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Which, if he doesn't, conjures up the horrifying image of the unfortunate D. completely unable to control his Unruly Regiment of Singers!

(I'm sure they wouldn't be so inconsiderate.....)

Some nice, soothing remedy is called for (apart, perhaps, from GIN). Honey, lemon, and glycerine, maybe, if it's still available? IIRC, very tasty, and comforting.

IJ

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Happy new year from the land of the frog [Big Grin] .

Back to Paris today after a bumpy flight from Toulouse yesterday evening due to storm Carmen, but we didn’t see the worst of it. It was much blowier around Bordeaux and in Brittany.

After much food, the en rouge diet is going to consist of soup, fish and easily digested vegetables for the foreseeable future.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If you're drinking inferior WHISKY, best put Poison in it, and finish the job properly....

Poor D., though - not a good start to the year. Hopefully, he'll recover before he next has to address the choristers in a Loud Voice.

IJ

If an organist can't use his voice could he find a chord that shuts everyone up? Something slightly off, to make them cringe?

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
If an organist can't use his voice could he find a chord that shuts everyone up? Something slightly off, to make them cringe?

As a guitarist I find G on the low strings and G# on the three high strings is perfect for this, he could try G in the left hand and G# in the right.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As for the thread title, that depends on the GIN, and on the tonic, no G*rd*ns or Br*tv*c for me.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
St. David's Hall in Cardiff has recently opened a Gin Lounge. There are over 30 gins on offer, and the bar staff carefully match the tonic waters to suit.

Or so my wife says (who likes Cardiff Eccentric Gin and H+ndr+cks).

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Noting from her post above that la vie en rouge's future diet is to include quantities of fish (and I guess France is a good country in which to indulge in such culinary necessities), I beg to announce that I am this evening cooking some nice Mackerel Fillets (from bonnie Scotland) for my Tea.

Yum. Yum.

Some new Potatoes, and some Bread and Butter, will accompany the said Repast.

This will hopefully negate the depressing Effects of a day of Gloom and Rain...

IJ

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We had finny haddock, roast potatoes and sprouts.

Very nice too [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fish fingers, oven chips and peas for us.
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by St Everild:

That sounds an easy meal to prepare. I had an easy meal too. One son visited the other day and brought me three small pork fillets in a spicy marinade he had put together himself. I seared the last of them in hot pan last night and had some easy vegetables to prepare. A large salad at lunch upped the vege quota for the day.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Celtic Knotweed
Shipmate
# 13008

- Posted      Profile for Celtic Knotweed   Email Celtic Knotweed   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ours was an easy meal as well. Partridge stew put together and fridged last night, then put in the slow-cooker this morning before we headed out for a day at the British Museum. All that needed doing when we got back was turning it to high, making dumplings, and waiting 20 min whilst they cooked [Big Grin]

Perfect for a somewhat damp and breezy night. There was a little green veg on the side, just to try and be vaguely healthy!

--------------------
My little sister is riding 100k round London at night to raise money for cancer research donations here if you feel so inclined.

Posts: 664 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We had fish too - slightly spicy salmon pieces (reduced price offering from a local supermarket), stirred into portions of rice cooked with leeks, peas and spinach. The rest of the rice mix was put aside to make stuffed peppers with the leftovers of a meat loaf tomorrow.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

We did leftovers today as well (our main meal of the day is usually a late lunch): D. had been making cottage pie a couple of weeks ago and, finding that he had more minced beef mixture than he needed, made a sort of cobbler thing with a scone topping. We had half of it before Christmas and froze the rest, along with some left-over cottage pie, so I mixed the two and heated them through. Not haute cuisine, perhaps, but a decent feed all the same.

I'm now contemplating some of the pâté that's left in the fridge with a slice or three of bread for supper, possibly with a glass of WINE.

D's voice is a bit better than it was: he went to the staff meeting this morning and rehearsed the band this evening, although he's still coughing like an engine and dosing himself with Mentho-Lyptus and hot Lem-sip.

If the weatherists are right, we might not be having choir practice on Thursday anyway: they're telling us we're going to get another foot of sn*w, which could cause a fairly major bollocks. [Waterworks]

[ 02. January 2018, 23:03: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
St. David's Hall in Cardiff has recently opened a Gin Lounge. There are over 30 gins on offer, and the bar staff carefully match the tonic waters to suit.

Wow.

And here I was excited at a distillery opening near me.

Happy New Year Britons!

[ 02. January 2018, 23:09: Message edited by: Ian Climacus ]

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Of course they match them carefully, as well as skilfully and after a deep (and meaningful) conversation to find the particular characteristics appealing to that customer. Then they remember the details for the next time the customer pays a visit. In other words. it sounds a bit like 99, 100 change hands to me.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

quote:

Or so my wife says (who likes Cardiff Eccentric Gin and H+ndr+cks).

I see your 30 and raise you 600.
In the hills not far from here.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

I'd better not show her that ...
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On similar lines, while hiking round Scotland with my parents a few years ago, we discovered this establishment, which is the official home of the Scotch Whisky Parliament. Yes, that’s really a thing. They have a “short” whisky list, featuring about 100 different types, or the “big” list, with 600 different choices. I’ll let you guess which one my Dad wanted to look at [Biased] .

I’m not much of a whisky drinker most of the time, but when in Rome… Usually my preferred poison is good Armagnac or Cognac. That said, all of the above are off limits at present, which surprisingly I actually don’t feel all that deprived about. Even if it was a bit cruel to buy a bottle for Christmas from the year of my birth. Go toast my health without me [Roll Eyes] . CHEESE, on the other hand – well, let’s just say I hope the Bubble appreciates the effort I’m making. We have some quite nice Cheddar in the house, which I’m allowed to eat, but we wants Camembert, precious.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

O well, if you're allowed to eat Cheddar, The End Is Not Nigh. Camembert is fine, but not the only CHEESE in the world...

The CHEESE Shop...

IJ

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
On similar lines, while hiking round Scotland with my parents a few years ago, we discovered this establishment, which is the official home of the Scotch Whisky Parliament. Yes, that’s really a thing. They have a “short” whisky list, featuring about 100 different types, or the “big” list, with 600 different choices. I’ll let you guess which one my Dad wanted to look at [Biased] .

Just a slight point but some establishments have over 3,000 whiskys.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

quote:
O well, if you're allowed to eat Cheddar, The End Is Not Nigh. Camembert is fine, but not the only CHEESE in the world...

If only it was just Camembert that was banned… I live in France, aka CHEESE nirvana. 90% of the production is off limits. ‘Tis woe and misery I tell you.

Over the holidays, and facing a particularly tantalising CHEESE platter, I did wonder if I could appoint my family as official tasters, Roman Emperor style. They’d all been eating the stuff for three days and none of them had died of listeria poisoning…

OTOH, I was not in the least bit upset about having to decline oysters. I have never understood the appeal of this supposed delicacy. Apart from not liking the taste over much, I can’t deal with food that isn’t dead [Help] .

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Agreed re oysters. Ewwww......

Commiserations re CHEESE, though.

[Frown]

IJ

--------------------

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Clearly the throat lurgy is doing the rounds as MuminElmet and I were both struck down over the weekend. We saw in the New Year (or saw off the Old Year) with Father Ted repeats and doctored cocoa. The hard partying will have to wait for a few days.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

The Lunar Rogue, aka The Choir Pub, is known for its whisky collection, which is certainly pretty impressive, especially for this side of the Pond. The first time D. and I went there, I challenged him to try a nip of each one (not at one sitting, you understand).

His usual tipple is Steam Whistle, an Ontario beer; so far, he's had one dram of Highland Park* 12-year-old, which he had instead of beer one evening for medicinal purposes ... [Biased]

We're bracing ourselves for that weather-bomb: it looks as if we're going to be splat in the middle of it, and probably get at least another foot of sn*w. [Waterworks]

I blame Trump. [Devil]

I've just finished baking a batch of French sticks, so at least we won't starve, even if we get a power-cut (although we might freeze: our only source of heat is electricity).

* I don't think he could have brought himself to order any other brand. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have made a new discovery - porridge with cinnamon and grated apple. I used to put cinnamon in my porridge when I tried 5:2, to make porridge made with water edible, so when I tasted the porridge I was making with soya milk and found it tasted as if made with water, I tried experimented.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
sounds like a nice addition

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Porridge with cinnamon is very good for the diabetic, or so they tell me (IANAD, but you knew that already)

Mrs. S, who ate too much porridge as a student ever to contemplate it these days [Projectile]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I always cook porridge with cinnamon and add more after, since I dislike too much sugar.

As for adding grated apple Quaker Oats has been doing that for years with their instant mixes - disgusting stuff, but if you make your own cereal...
very nice

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

This is porridge without sugar, made with gluten free oats and soya milk for my daughter, ordinary milk and oats for me. Gluten free oats cook better in a pan rather than the speedy microwave trick I use. I was grating fresh apple over the porridge when made.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016