homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Tea and biscuits or GIN and tonic? Britain 2018 (Page 7)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Tea and biscuits or GIN and tonic? Britain 2018
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Glad to hear your birthday was enjoyable piglet.

Because I went looking, there's a NY Times article about the use of kempt, gruntled and couth. Apparently couth originally meant "known and familiar" and uncouth, "unknown, foreign, strange". Couth then died out but was revived by Max Beerbohm in 1896, as a retronym, as PG Wodehouse did famously with gruntled:
quote:
“I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.”
eta - I started this post to ask if there was anything we could do for Uncle Pete or Welease Woderick practically.

[ 11. February 2018, 08:21: Message edited by: Curiosity killed ... ]

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ck, I do not know about any way of helping Pete. There are others heree who may know.

Pete and I have had a lengthy discussion about helpoing WW. I think the conclusion was the he desperately wanted podcasts to listen to. We covered a wide range of helps and new developments in that area but it was podcasts he was after.

[ 11. February 2018, 09:06: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pete's surgery was tricky, apparently, but they believe they have got all of the tumour. He is now recovering. I have spoken to family and they cannot think of anything that he needs right now but, once he is feeling a bit better, they will ask him. He said he didn't want cards, but it's always nice to annoy him just a little bit so if anyone wants to send one and does not have his address, feel free to send them to me and I will parcel them up and send them with mine.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the update, Smudgie. I like the idea of being slightly naughty and sending cards anyway. Glad to hear that he is through the surgery okay and hope he mends up quickly. (Yesterday, I tried to send you a pm but I fear I clicked the wrong button and sent you an email instead!)

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the positive update, Smudgie.

[Votive] continuing for Uncle Pete.

Meanwhile, couth in more recent times has apparently meant 'sophisticated', or 'refined'.

In Chaucer's Canterbury Tales, however, if I recall my Middle English correctly, it did indeed mean 'known', as in 'couthe in sondry londes' ('known [of] in various countries').

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the definitions, folks - interesting stuff! I do like the idea of being gruntled. [Big Grin]

Glad to hear Uncle Pete's op. went well - wishing him a full and speedy recovery.

The weather didn't get too much worse today, although D. decided that discretion was the better part of valour and we went down our road rather than trying to go up, as you can be sure that if you need to get a good run at it, some eejit will come along the main road at the top in a truck* and you'll have to stop, losing all your hard-earned momentum.

* in our experience, most eejits drive trucks. [Devil]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Transfiguration today, which was a good thing because it meant we could have cheery hymns [Smile]

Now I can spend the evening trying to draw-up a list for a Deanery confirmation later in the year to cover music/worship traditions from our place (NEH) to one place that only uses an overhead projector for the words of songs that are played on a tape [Eek!]

In other news: we're expecting a few extras on Wednesday because it seems half the churches in the deanery aren't having a service for Ash Wednesday.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
shamwari
Shipmate
# 15556

- Posted      Profile for shamwari   Email shamwari   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I assume you had Stay Master stay
Posts: 1914 | From: from the abyss of misunderstanding | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My friends, the news from Canada is not good. Uncle Pete has suffered multiple organ failure. He is unconscious and on a ventilator and his family are meeting with the doctors tomorrow to discuss some difficult decisions.

Please hold him in your prayers, together with P and S as they meet with his doctors. And remember Wodders - I am contacting him to break the news which will hit him very hard.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Smudgie:
My friends, the news from Canada is not good. Uncle Pete has suffered multiple organ failure. He is unconscious and on a ventilator and his family are meeting with the doctors tomorrow to discuss some difficult decisions.

Please hold him in your prayers, together with P and S as they meet with his doctors. And remember Wodders - I am contacting him to break the news which will hit him very hard.

Oh, no! [Waterworks]

But prayers for Pete and his family and Wodders.
[Votive]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] Pete and Wodders, hoping and praying
Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] Pete and Wodders [Votive]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Frown] [Votive]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] for Pete and those who love him.

Sometimes life is just shitty.

--------------------

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Fredegund
Shipmate
# 17952

- Posted      Profile for Fredegund   Email Fredegund   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]
For Uncle Pete, WW, and all who care for them.

--------------------
Pax et bonum

Posts: 117 | From: Shakespeare's County | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
((Uncle Pete))
Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I imagine that many of you will have already seen the other threads here letting us know that Uncle Pete was promoted to Glory earlier today.

Rest eternal grant unto him, O Lord, and let light perpetual shine upon him.

[Votive]

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
RIP, Uncle Pete [Votive]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I'm afraid it's not been a very good week; my dad passed away peacefully earlier today. My brother and sister both managed to see him before the end, and I think he'd have understood that logistics prevented me from being there.

They're hoping the funeral can be arranged for a week on Saturday, which should give us time to get ourselves over without too much of a rush.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry to hear this!

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

So sorry to hear your news Piglet.

I know your Dad had missed your Mum and that the decline was a gentle one. Love and Prayers for you all [Votive]

--------------------

M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, sorry to hear your news, Piglet.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm so sorry to hear about your dad, Piglet.

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Piglet, may God hold you, D, & all those who loved your father, in the palm of his hand.

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
{{Piglet}}, I'm so sorry.

[Votive] for Piglet's Dad's friends and family [Votive]

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
((Piglet))

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] {piglet}
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] piglet and family

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
((Piglet))

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh Piglet, what can I say?

PM me if you need a blart or a shoulder.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
((Piglet))

Be kind to yourself.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes indeed.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Thanks, everyone.

The funeral is a week from Friday (23rd), which should give us plenty of time to get over the pond and up to Orkney. We're now in the process of working out our best timetable - we think flying to Edinburgh, picking up a hire car and driving north for the funeral, then back down, drive down to Essex to see D's mum (we couldn't really be over there and not see her) then back up to Edinburgh for flights home.

It may look like a big faff, but we'll have to travel the length of the country each way no matter how we cut it, and this looks like the least faff ...

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You live in the Americas. Driving the length of a nation is culturally appropriate for you!

--------------------

St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am so very sorry, Piglet.

I hope all the arrangements work as you hope they will, and that travel is as stress-free as it possibly can be.

Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Deepest condolences Piglet. I still miss my dad after 20 years.

We flew into Edinburgh a couple of years ago when visiting my cousins in Dunfermline. It's such a civilised experience compared with the zoo at Heathrow.

Posts: 375 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Brenda’s blanket arrived!

It is blue and stripy and snuggly and now I’m all emotional.

[Axe murder] and also [Waterworks] (that’s the hormones)

You are a very nice lady, Brenda.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What a wonderful thing LVER.
One of the nicest things that ever happened to me was when a teenage girl of my aqauintance turned up to my wedding (I got married rather late) with the shawl I'd knitted for her when she was a baby. She might have been seventeen but she said it was still her comfort blanket.
I'm sure bébé en rouge will love it too.

[ 16. February 2018, 09:19: Message edited by: Sarasa ]

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Oh super, it arrived! You never know, when sending items over the pond. I have had good success with baby blankets; one of mine was carried by the little boy until it was essentially nothing but a handful of ratty threadbare strands. He continued to drag it with him everywhere, until finally when they were staying at a hotel at Disney World the maids thought it was trash and swept it up. I believe his mother told him that Mickey is keeping it.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
lver - pass most of the snuggliness you find in Brenda's blanket on to bebe en rouge, but do keep a bit back for yourself.

Snuggliness is always a Good Thing to have.

[Big Grin]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Snuggliness for the win [Smile]

The only thing that is keeping me warm at the moment in this Godforsaken draft trap of a house is a jumper that I inherited from my Granddad. It's not anything special, not handmade or knitted, but it is lovely and toasty. The strangest things can become heirlooms.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Yes, my Favouritist Pullover In All The World was acquired years, nay, eons ago, from a charity shop.

It had holes in the elbows, and at the front (IIRC), but was the snuggliest garment I think I've ever possessed.

It passed into the Great Ball Of Knitting In The Sky some years ago, having been damaged beyond salvation when I fell into the river adjacent to the Episcopal Palace (don't ask - it was one of those days).

I do still have some snuggly pullovers, though - I'm wearing one now.

It has a nice hole in the right elbow!

[Razz]

IJ

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

That'll be to let the air circulate ... [Big Grin]

In the previous château I was often glad of snuggly sweaters (and blankets - there was always one on the sofa during the winter), as it was a very draughty old shack. The new one, being new (well, about 12 years old) is much better sealed against the Interesting Weather™ we get in these parts, so I rarely feel the need any more.

We've got our flights booked - we're heading over the Pond on Monday. We managed to get a reasonable deal, apart from the $127 (about £72) we're having to pay to put a suitcase into the hold.

$127??? [Mad]

I'm beginning to think they should charge you to take hand-baggage instead; after all, it holds everyone else up while some blithering idiot tries to squeeze a suitcase the size of a small car into the overhead locker. And really, don't they think you might need a full-size case if you're travelling half-way round the world?

In other news, I heard today that my cousin L., with whom I was best mates before we left Orkney, but with whom I'd rather lost touch, died this morning of complications following surgery. She was 53.

This really hasn't been a very good week. [Frown]

--------------------

M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, piglet, I'm so sorry to hear this.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] for Piglet and your upcoming travels. I hope they pass without incident. Is there any chance your cousin’s funeral will take place while you are there?

Could you not just wear all your clothes at once, Michelin man style, and hand luggage for shoes and toiletries? I mean it might get a bit warm but think of the savings [Two face]

Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Really sorry to hear that piglet.

Hope your scramble across the Pond is not too exhausting and you manage to cram everything you need into your one suitcase. There's been news coverage on the charging policies of airlines, where the headline price looks good, but if you want to take any luggage or sit together surcharges apply. (I was going to be naughty and suggest if you were in Essex on Saturday 24 you could make the Absent Friends Meet, but I doubt you're in the mood now.)

Yesterday had its moments. Tesco has stopped stocking the one and only washing powder that neither of us is allergic to. I am currently washing rather too much of my wardrobe in the forlorn hope that I will have some work clothes at the end of this and am fast running out of safe washing powders. Tesco stocks the liquid version from the same manufacturer, but it contains lavender which makes my daughter as ill as the cannabis I'm trying to wash out. And who wants to smell strongly of lavender?

We were cautiously sniffing the hypoallergenic options wondering if any was suitable when my daughter reacted to one of them. Cue leaving fast, via the checkout, with her glued to the inhaler and spacer. Usually she prefers to tough it out as using the Epipen means calling an ambulance and trip to A&E. First bench she collapsed, I misused the Epipen and was sent two ambulances, one a paramedic car. Partly because I was with her, partly because we were so blasé* about it and partly because we'd been sent a paramedic doctor, she didn't have to go to hospital so we were dropped home by the ambulance, but that little episode took an hour and a half, plus my daughter trying to sleep it off yesterday afternoon.

The Job™ I escaped at the end of October is begging me to come and help out as one of the administrators is off sick for a month and the other is new, replacing someone on maternity leave. I am reluctant on so many counts, including the hour and a half commute each way when we are still trying to get the flat safe for my daughter and she cannot leave the flat safely alone much of the time. I am already committed locally two days a week and am negotiating for that to continue when the current cover ends, but The Job™ are so desperate that they are prepared to work around anything, having to work hours to get home. My collywobbles were added to by my successor phoning me up this week delighted I will be available to help her. Fortunately this has not been organised with the agency, who I contacted yesterday to see if they knew anything about it.

* blasé - she looks like this whenever her dose of antihistamine is running out - first thing in the morning particularly.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
CK, I'm really sorry to hear of your ongoing struggles.

My life has been transformed by using Ecover's Zero washing products, with just a bit of their laundry bleach as a whitening agent/stain remover when necessary. I get out of bed still able to breathe, and don't have to dodge any room in which my washing is drying. Until I made the switch, I hadn't realised how allergic I'd become to everyday perfumes.

Apologies to hosts wary of adverts, but I think this is apposite and might be helpful given CK's dilemma. I have to get it from my local health food shop because it's not in supermarkets, but it is definitely worth the effort for me.

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

It's Ecover we use too - and it's what Tesco has just stopped stocking.

--------------------

ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
It's Ecover we use too - and it's what Tesco has just stopped stocking.

The Zero range is quite specific and, for me, completely transformative. Its bottles have 'zero' on them in large capital letters, and they contain absolutely no perfumes of any kind, or any ingredient with a detectable odour.

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Ah, we've been using the washing powder, whether I'd prefer to use liquid given the option, or not. That is also scent free. It looks as if I will le taking a circuitous route to tomorrow's destination, via a big Waitrose; they apparently stock the Zero liquid, as does Tesco, just not my local one.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016