homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Tea and biscuits or GIN and tonic? Britain 2018 (Page 8)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Tea and biscuits or GIN and tonic? Britain 2018
ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The fabric conditioner is also excellent, doing its job faultlessly and without leaving suffocating odour behind.

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here you go CK

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I did check Amazon, and also which shops sell it. The possible issue is that we're also dealing with dermatitis, and Zero doesn't have brilliant reviews from people with sensitive skin (both of us). Sadly.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They do a Zero fabric conditioner for sensitive skin, not sure about the washing liquid [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't use fabric conditioner, full stop. It's bad enough finding a washing powder/liquid that doesn't bring me out in hives (literally), without adding another set of chemicals to make me itch. For anything that touches my skin, there is often one product, and one product only, I am using because it's all I can find. So if it isn't necessary I'm not using it.

That includes cotton clothing - I am allergic to viscose, modal, nylon, wool, 100% polyester and whatever is used in elastics for socks and some knickers. I can cope with a small percentage of polyester in a cotton polyester mix. Another current irritation is that most high street stores are using viscose cotton mixes for their cotton rich clothes, which is another reason I'm having to dressmake so much.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A lot of eczema in our family - aka itchers-and-scratchers-and-snifflers - so we tend as a larger family group to have a routine:
  • Fairy non-Bio liquid (not powder or tabs because they cause itching)
  • No stain remover - use ordinary soda crystals instead, adding a spoonful of ordinary bleach if absolutely necessary
  • Always use the "additional rinse" button - twice if the clothes required bleach
  • Line dry if at all possible
  • Above all, try to avoid wearing any synthetics next to the skin
I'm not saying its foolproof but most of the time it seems to work. On the rare occasions it doesn't then anoint with a mixture of aqueous cream and honey.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nothing to do with the above - but did anyone else feel the earth tremor this afternoon? Quite scary here in Cardiff although it didn't last long.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nothing here, AFAIK, but I'm a few miles south-east of London, which seems to be as far as the effects were felt.

Scary, I'm sure, but not unknown in the UK. I recall trying to get to London by train one day, and finding that services were disrupted by an earthquake at Folkestone which had caused some considerable damage to houses etc.

I blame Tr**p.

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are historical accounts of earthquakes in London.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And in lots of other parts of the UK.

Few do any real damage, thank God.

I still blame Lonald Lump - he's upsetting the Whole World.

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm about to come across the pond and you start having earthquakes ... [Eek!]

We've now got everything booked - flights, car-hire and the ferry to Orkney.

Ferijen - I doubt that L's funeral will be while we're there; she died in hospital in Aberdeen, and will have to be brought home. [Frown]

Wearing all your clothes at once is all very well, but not if you're all hot and hormonal like me. [Killing me]

TBH, one of the reasons I'd always have hold luggage is for toiletries: I really can't be bothered faffing about with a load of exactly 100ml bottles and see-through plastic bags; and for some inexplicable reason, the contact-lens cleaner that I use comes in a 105ml bottle - how brainless is that? I find it easier to have all that out of sight and out of mind in the hold where I don't have to worry about it.

This of course places an inordinate level of trust that the airline will reunite me with my suitcase at the appropriate time ... [Paranoid]

[ 17. February 2018, 19:00: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We're about 20 miles from Cardiff and our neighbour posted on f/b that the house shook. A friend in Merthyr reckoned he'd felt it We were in Hereford and didn't feel anything.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Thoughts and prayers to all affected by the earthquake in Wales.

I understand from one report that TEA was spilt...

IJ

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hear it's done millions of pounds worth of improvements in Newport....

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Seriously, though, we're fortunate in (usually) not having quakes of the much greater magnitude that some countries suffer.

IJ

--------------------

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nothing to do with earthquakes, but I saw my first lambs of the year on the way back from Hereford.

--------------------

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
I hear it's done millions of pounds worth of improvements in Newport....

AG

It started a few days ago when a chimney fell off a house just down the road. That improved things no end.
Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have had a superb evening at the opera - La Forza del Destino in Cardiff. [Cool]
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
CK, would these work for you?

They get your clothes clean without using any detergents at all (the plastic thing is filled with porcelaine beads). I used them for quite a while and they work pretty well. They are also very ecological.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Opera??

In Lent??

Is Outrage!!

IJ

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not an outrage having opera in Lent on a Sunday though ...

At our place we marked the First Sunday in Lent with proper Choral Matins: Jubilate Deo sung to Stanford in C, Almighty and Everlasting God by Gibbons and finishing with The Litany.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
Not an outrage having opera in Lent on a Sunday though ...

I'll be enjoying 'The Barber of Seville' without a touch of guilt two weeks from today. [Smile]

There are, however, some operas (I won't name names) that might be considered penance.
[Snigger]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm going to confess it now: in my humble opinion, all opera except Gilbert & Sullivan would be penance. Sorry about that.

[Devil]

I'm not a huge fan of Matins - it doesn't quite float my boat the way Evensong does - but that sounds like a nice one you had, L'Organist. Actually, anything that includes a bit of Gibbons is all right in my book. [Smile]

They're doing the Litany next week at our place, but we'll still be away, which is a shame - I rather enjoy it in procession.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Opera??

In Lent??

Is Outrage!!

IJ

As it is Lent, will the fat lady be present, let alone able to sing?
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

She could certainly sing, but she wasn't fat.

The bass, on the other hand, was fairly well-proportioned ...

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Anyone want to come over here and try to squeeze clothes for two people for nearly a fortnight (including smart funeral clothes) into one medium-size suitcase?

Oh yes, and they also need to include something warm enough for Toronto and cool enough for the south of England.

[brick wall]

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
Anyone want to come over here and try to squeeze clothes for two people for nearly a fortnight (including smart funeral clothes) into one medium-size suitcase?

Oh yes, and they also need to include something warm enough for Toronto and cool enough for the south of England.

[brick wall]

I would investigate the cost of hiring some decent outfit for the funeral, buying the cheapest acceptable clothes possible in the UK then (ideally) selling them on before you have to return to Canada.

I don't suppose you can leave cold-weather clothes at Toronto? Have you friends there who could look after them while you over here, taking them from you on departure and being there to hand them back on your return? A bottle of something old may help.

[Votive] Hoping it all goes smoothly, could be a challenging trip.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Left luggage in Toronto? Layering so that you can just shed layers for southern England?

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Hope the trip goes sell, Piglet - the logistics do sound a bit complex... [Eek!]

[Votive] for the funeral, too.

The weather is mild and lachrymose in southern Ukland just now, but set to get a bit colder (well, cold to us effete Southrons) later in the week.

IJ

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Hope the trip goes well, I mean...

(Actually, the idea of buying cheap clothing here, and then selling it, is OK as far as it goes, but how would you go about the selling, given your limited time here?

If your budget can stand it, you could always pass it on to the homeless, if a convenient agency is to hand, or simply leave it with a charity shop.)

IJ

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A quick trip to your local charity shop or two when here?

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Do you mean in order to buy clothes, Jengie?

Cos that's a Very Good Idea!

IJ

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know of some people who ship their luggage to their destination because they find it is more economical that paying the airline rates.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
We've got our flights booked - we're heading over the Pond on Monday.

Oops! I guess it's too late for suggestions.
[Frown]

--------------------
~Tortuf

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's always the final resort -- wearing two or three jackets one on top of the other, with four shirts beneath.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Do you mean in order to buy clothes, Jengie?

Cos that's a Very Good Idea!

IJ

Yes.

pack essentials
buy others from charity shops
give back to charity shops excess clothing

It is standard backpackers advice iirc and I am prepared to bet there will be something from the charity shop that becomes an essential.

Jengie

[ 19. February 2018, 14:39: Message edited by: Jengie jon ]

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Excellent advice, though I suspect Piglet and D. are on a tight schedule, and may simply not have enough time.

In other circumstances, yes....

IJ

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Just to brighten your day, if you live in the damp parts of Ukland (i.e. most of it), here is a cheerful rendition of a little musical snippet by Dmitri Shostakovich, courtesy of Yuja Wang and an anonymous trumpet player.

Enjoy!

IJ

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Today it was sunny nearly all day! [Cool] [Cool]
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Piglet's journeying seems to have slowed down this thread. Hoping her travels have gone as well as one could expect [Votive]

Happy Friday everyone. Sunny and cold in this bit of the South...

Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Just to brighten your day, if you live in the damp parts of Ukland (i.e. most of it), here is a cheerful rendition of a little musical snippet by Dmitri Shostakovich, courtesy of Yuja Wang and an anonymous trumpet player.

I heard this live in Heidelberg, played by the Heidelberg symphony orchestra - simply marvellous.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Ferijen:
Piglet's journeying seems to have slowed down this thread. Hoping her travels have gone as well as one could expect [Votive]

Happy Friday everyone. Sunny and cold in this bit of the South...

At 8am it was -2C in South Wales (and *not* up in the hills either). Quite a bit of ice to scrape off the car. Happily it is half-term so a quick journey to work. It will all be different next week when the little darlings will have to be ferried to school - we have two primary schools and three large secondary schools close to my office so that's a lot of SUVs/People Carriers and Chelsea tractors to contend with, especially with a lot of road works going on.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Horrid east wind here - the one that makes your ears seem tight, as though they need a quarter-turn on order to feel right again....

Sn*w is forecast for next week, as in 'KILLER SN*W STORM ALERT!!!!' on the front page of the tabloids. Maybe it's to make Piglet feel welcome [Paranoid]

Though I'm sure we all hope that she and D. are OK, and that her Dad's funeral went as well as could be expected (it was today, IIRC).

IJ

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
LRP and I have had a pleasant but cold trip to Wakefield at the Food, Drink and Rhubarb festival, and met with Arachnid in Elmet for what could be the last mini shipmeet before Ship II sails. Unless you know otherwise.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

The east wind persists, but we have some Sun-Shine today, and, as the Palace possesses a sequestered Nook or Den, I am able to take some advantage of it.

However, on visiting the corner shop this morning, I found that, with the threat of SN*W next week, the population of South-East Ukland has decided (as per usual) to stockpile bread, milk, and toilet rolls.

Not that I particularly need any of those commodities, but why do Uklanders persist in buying stuff that they obviously know will make them incontinent?

The Palace is, I am happy to say, replete with SOUP, logs, coal, and WHISKY, so it can sn*w as much as it likes.

[Big Grin]

IJ

--------------------

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

People obviously like stale bread and milk, otherwise there's going to be a craze for bread and butter pudding.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Bread and milk was what Mum used to give us when we were poorly - that and stewed apple 🍎

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No need for bread and butter pudding at Chez Arachnid as we've just had a very tasty rhubarb frangipane tart from yesterday's Rhubarb Festival meeting with Balaam and LRP. There's some rhubarb waiting to be stewed for tomorrow.

It's definitely crumble weather. I'm writing this from under a duvet supplemented by a hot water bottle.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Yes, indeed - Comfort Food required! I've just had some nice chicken-and-mushroom SOUP.

My Old Mum used to stew a mean apple (Bramleys, mostly, IIRC, as we had a huge old tree in the wilderness that passed for a garden), and we were so fed whether we were poorly or not.

But it was delicious (where's that drooly emoji?).

IJ

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

More Black Breath of Putin (i.e. east wind from Russia) today, but a most beautiful cloudless, and clear blue, sky.

[Big Grin]

However, Siberian temperatures, along with SN*W, are on their way, which will interfere (possibly) with My Arrangements.

Thank you, Uncle Vlad.

Not.

[Disappointed]

In mitigation of which, I have today (despite it being the Sabbath) been to the shop, and bought some nice SAUSAGE ROLLS, and smoked CHEESE, together with PEANUT BUTTER, for the adorning of TOAST.

Isn't comfort food wonderful?

IJ

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016