homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Tea and biscuits or GIN and tonic? Britain 2018 (Page 9)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Tea and biscuits or GIN and tonic? Britain 2018
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For lunch we had some most excellent and large Sardines (from Asda!) on toast. Mmmm ...
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How very Frugal, and, indeed, Lenten.....

Yes, I like the occasional dose of sardines or mackerel on TOAST. When Ah wor a lad, My Old Mum used to sometimes give us pilchards and boiled potatoes (accompanied by bread and butter) for lunch on Saturdays.

In winter, it would be tomato SOUP (Heinz, of course) with boiled potatoes in it.

Mmmmmmmmm......

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just because this amuses me, apparently the next "tenant" in my daughter's flat was a young looking police officer. The drug dealing neighbour leafleted the letterbox as normal. He then set up a deal with his new neighbour. There's now a certain amount of sorrow on the Book of the Face that supplies have dried up. The policeman only lived there for two days.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
Just because this amuses me, apparently the next "tenant" in my daughter's flat was a young looking police officer. The drug dealing neighbour leafleted the letterbox as normal. He then set up a deal with his new neighbour. There's now a certain amount of sorrow on the Book of the Face that supplies have dried up. The policeman only lived there for two days.

Okay, now this is news! [Smile] Too bad she couldn't have employed the strategy of inviting someone like this over regularly.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:

[Killing me]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I did work two days at The Job™ last week around the cover gig locally. I was supposed to be going in today, but the travel disruptions are huge, UK snow!, so getting home in a hurry does not look an option, and I am not working anywhere where I cannot get home quickly atm.

I am also feeling a whole lot less like going in because, although I had agreed the work to cover, on Thursday my successor told me that she had been authorised to use me to sort out the exams with her. So I spent most of the day refinding and retyping up the information I had given her before I left at the end of October (finding the spreadsheets and How To™ notes saved on the Exec Drive where I'd left them, but nothing updated). The narrative was on an email, with attachments, but I don't have access to my old email account to reforward her previously composed emails, because that would have saved half a day. Another one who'd like a Grr emoticon.

Currently it's very pretty here - light icing of snow, occasional flakes drifting past.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, heavy sn*w here in North Kent - it's been quite a few years since we had this much (4 inches or so, and still coming down thick and fast).

I blame Putin. The Russian tanks etc. will be moving in soon, under cover of his Black Breath.

Fortunately, I don't have to leave the Palace today, but [Votive] for all who do have to be out and about...especially the emergency services, carers etc. [Axe murder]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I worked in North Kent for a couple of years (at an MoD establishment between Orpington and Sevenoaks) and we had some serious snow there. Over the winter of 1983-1984 we had snow on the ground for six weeks!

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Ha! I recall the great winter of '62-'63, when sn*w lasted pretty well from Boxing Day until Easter!

[Help]

IJ

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, we went to a matinee performance of "Emil and the Detectives" on Boxing Day and it was snowing when we came out. Fortunately my parents had installed central heating that very summer!

I sledged after school nearly every day (school closed early during the snowtime, and the park was almost next door).

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Yes, we had central heating, too.

My Old Dad would stand in the middle of the living room, smoking a fag. Every time he took a drag, we'd stretch out our hands to the glowing tip of his roll-up......

I'll get me mittens....

IJ

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Ha! I recall the great winter of '62-'63, when sn*w lasted pretty well from Boxing Day until Easter!

I remember going to school in shorts.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
I remember going to school in shorts.

We weren't allowed to wear shorts to school even when it was over 100F (38C). Girls weren't even allowed to wear slacks until the year after I graduated, when they relaxed some of the rules.

But of course this was back when we drove our horse and buggy to school. [Biased]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

I was still in shorts, too, back in the Great Ice Winter....the bloody sn*w was deep enough to come over the top of my wellies, thus soaking and freezing my poor little toes and matchstick legs.

We were too poor to afford Thick Sox.

[Disappointed]

More sn*w is falling as I write, but the forecast for the weekend is not too bad (cloud and rain!).

The resultant thaw will doubtless reveal more leaks in the Palace roof, complete with Annoying Drips.

IJ

--------------------

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just been having a conversation about people who wear shorts no matter the weather, sparked off by the local school caretaker. Apparently there's someone in this category who, in especially cold weather, may consider putting on a hat...

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Proper snow here - suspended trains and tube and a pretty delicate sunrise following a sunset showing orange through falling snow. I expect a snow day for everyone else. Good thing I forgot to contact The Job™ agreeing times to go in this week.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:
Just been having a conversation about people who wear shorts no matter the weather, sparked off by the local school caretaker. Apparently there's someone in this category who, in especially cold weather, may consider putting on a hat...

Won't they need two hats ... one for each knee?

[ 28. February 2018, 06:25: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

You know who we ought to blame for snow in this area? piglet - all her fault for bringing it over with her! [Two face]

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

[Help]

IJ

We were living on a airfield in Lincolnshire at that time. I can't remember much beyond the cold but with one fire and no central heating we hunkered down in one room with blankets round the chairs, only moving to feed and go to bed. I started school in the January and I'm sure there was snow on the ground for weeks, possibly until we moved in March to the south coast.

btw, our postie wears shorts, but he moves pretty fast!

[ 28. February 2018, 11:22: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

They were putting out a display of sledges in the supermarket this morning ... so far we've only had the lightest of dustings and the sun is now out, but there is Much Worse To Come tomotrrow. [Frown]
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Snow day around here - genuinely - it's been snowing all morning. Currently I'm looking out on to sunshine on lots of white, but it's clouding over again, which suggests more fluffy stuff descending. The schools that did try to open are sending children home early and we've cancelled Guides tonight. One school opened at 10am and shut at 11:30am. The tube has had severe delays all day, as had the overground.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Nice Sun-Shine here, though the East Wind is beginning to pick up again.... [Disappointed]

The environs of the Palace are workaday, not to say ramshackle, but the frost and sn*w in the Sun-Shine earlier this morning made it all look quite beautiful-ish.

The other noticeable thing about sn*w, of course, is how it muffles sound. This, I like.

(BTW, spare a thought for poor piglet, over this side of the pond for Daddy Pig's funeral. Let's hope the Siberian-style weather doesn't incommode her, and D., too much on what is probably not a particularly pleasant trip.)

IJ

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
The other noticeable thing about sn*w, of course, is how it muffles sound. This, I like.

IJ

When I lived in New York City (Manhattan) I loved major snowstorms if I didn't have to travel more than a block from home. It's so QUIET with automobile traffic reduced to almost nothing, and -- as you say -- the snow muffling what sound there is. Not even any planes when the airports have to close.

I felt sorry for all for whom the weather was a major inconvenience and a health and safety concern, but oh, it was lovely if you were safe at home.

--------------------
~Tortuf

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016