homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's business   » The Styx   » FAQs - History of the Ship (Page 7)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 

Source: (consider it) Thread: FAQs - History of the Ship
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[idle speculation] I wonder what the annals of Shipstory will say about the whole Cosmogate thing... [/idle speculation]

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have just returned to SoF after a computer meltdown took me offline for a couple of months. I have gradually been checking out threads that I have missed, and have spent two long and painful evenings trawling through 'the Cosmogate thing'.
I found all the bad feelings expressed by some shipmates over the handling of the case most distressing, but the thing that bothered me more were references to something involving Unicycle/Curious Buddhist/sockpuppets which seems to have caused some upset during my absence.

Although I didn't post on the Curious Buddhist thread I had followed it closely, with much admiration for what she had endured, and for her bravery. I know many shipmates had been closely involved in supporting her in those last weeks, and would hate to think that their care had been abused in some way.

I've had a look around the Ship, but am not very well versed in using the 'search' facility, and have not been able to find anything about the problems referred to. If there is more information somewhere that I haven't located, could someone post a link for me, please?

When I first joined SoF I thought it was too fiercely moderated. Since then I have read some of the Ship's history. Having seen how some people like to overstep the boundaries, and seeing how quickly feelings can boil up and posts become intemperate I am glad we have firm hands on the tiller!

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
sakura
Shipmate
# 1449

- Posted      Profile for sakura     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I asked the same question via PM to a couple of Admins when I returned after an absence and saw vague references to the "Unicycle/CB affair". They were very helpful and I suggest you do the same for the full story. Like you I had followed the CB story closely.

But, in a nutshell, Curious Buddhist, Al and Yish et al did not exist. They (and some other identities) were all the creatures of some very twisted person's brain. Apparently there was a long thread about it which has since been placed in the (non visible) archive. Sorry to be the one to tell you! [Frown]

--------------------
Keep me as the apple of Your eye.
Hide me under the shadow of Your wings.

Posts: 478 | From: Melbourne | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks Sakura, and those Shipmates who have PM'd me. I don't need, or want, any further information than that which you have provided.

My thoughts and sympathies are with those who had opened their hearts to CB, you must feel betrayed and abused, and very wary of trusting other shipmates at the moment.

What a twisted, pathetic person, with a life so unrewarding that so much time and effort can be wasted on a complicated and spiteful scam?

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
altarbird
Shipmate
# 11983

- Posted      Profile for altarbird   Email altarbird   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It has taken me a while to figure this thread out, as I didn't notice the dates at first and thought all the references to "two years ago" meant 2004!

Having started at the beginning, I found myself wondering why Shaun (who I think was the second or third poster) got banned, and that was long before Cosmogate and the Bhuddist thing, whcih confused me even more at first, but at least now has been explained. And I loved the Nativity Play! (Only through scene 1 so far, but I'll keep going. It is great.) Was Shaun in fact banned, or is this just a Ship injoke, like Erin being tiny little judge? And was is Fiddleback unregistered? Or is that also a little joke?

--------------------
It's not whether God is on our side or whether we're doing God's will, it's being so narcissistic as to think that God is telling you what to do. - Lily Tomlin

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Shaun was banned long ago. For reasons other than anything posted on this thread.

Fiddleback was de-registered a long time back. Again for reasons other than anything posted on this thread. He was let back on after repenting in sackcloth and ashes.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
altarbird
Shipmate
# 11983

- Posted      Profile for altarbird   Email altarbird   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is there a difference between being banned and un-registered?

--------------------
It's not whether God is on our side or whether we're doing God's will, it's being so narcissistic as to think that God is telling you what to do. - Lily Tomlin

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Banned is usually just a matter of checking boxes on the profile that prevent the user from posting on the Ship or sending/receiving PMs. It's the same as a suspension, but for an indefinite period. So, posts by that person will remain with their avatar, sig etc still in place.

Un-registration totally removes all record of that user from the system. It's a much more substantial action, reserved for those who manage to seriously piss Simon off.

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
altarbird
Shipmate
# 11983

I'm confused. If you can come back from un-registration, but not from banning, wouldn't that make banning more serious?

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

People have returned from being banned too. If someone has been banned by simply having their ability to post deactivated they can be reinstated by simply having their account reactivated. If someone has had themselves un-registered they can only return by re-registering as a new user (with the permission of the Admins, of course).

--------------------

the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
Un-registration totally removes all record of that user from the system. It's a much more substantial action, reserved for those who manage to seriously piss Simon off.

I'm confused by this unregistration thing - surely it would muck up all the threads the person posted on. Or is it more useful in cases of extreme trolling that you want to remove completely, like Dattaswami's self praising homilies not too long ago?

Anyway, I just thought I would throw in my 2c worth and draw your attention to this rather special avatar I noticed on this thread. Surely that is the visual definition of scary! Maybe people with that avatar need a special status in place of "BANNED" - maybe "Gator snack?"

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
altarbird
Shipmate
# 11983

The avatar is part of what made me think his banned thing was part of the joke! Since it was obviously a parody of Erin's avatar.And there do seem to be a lot of in jokes here.

--------------------

mrs whibley
Shipmate
# 4798

- Posted      Profile for mrs whibley     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It seems to be a bit like being in a family - there are Things Which Are Not Talked About, and I wouldn't expect to find the answers on this thread!
However, since there are questions being banded about, I am puzzled that oftentimes in Limbo/Oblivion I come across a banned person called Reepicheep. While I wouldn't dare to ask why she was banned, the most puzzling thing is that even in her 'most recent posts' she refers to herself and others refer to her as Angel. So I imagine some sort of meltdown involving a second evil identity etc. etc.
Wouldn't it be sad if any of us, offered a time machine, chose to use it reading the whole and unexpurgated Ship from beginning to end! Of course, Erin, if offered such a machine might choose to escape the whole darn thing.

Mrs Whibley

Posts: 942 | From: North Lincolnshire | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
Originally posted by altarbird:
The avatar is part of what made me think his banned thing was part of the joke! Since it was obviously a parody of Erin's avatar.And there do seem to be a lot of in jokes here.

Over the years the admins have changed. There was a time when Erin and David did practically all of the member admin tasks, including banning those who deserved it. The avatar was an entertaining, and in many ways fitting, way to mark that Erin had done the booting. We haven't actually used it for a booting in a long time, partly because the member admins are more likely to do the deed than Erin.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
Originally posted by mrs whibley:
I am puzzled that oftentimes in Limbo/Oblivion I come across a banned person called Reepicheep. While I wouldn't dare to ask why she was banned, the most puzzling thing is that even in her 'most recent posts' she refers to herself and others refer to her as Angel. So I imagine some sort of meltdown involving a second evil identity etc. etc.

Nothing quite as convoluted as a meltdown with a second evil identity. Simply that Angel/Reepicheep was banned when the ability to change screen names was still activated, and that she changed name just before she was booted.

--------------------

mrs whibley
Shipmate
# 4798

- Posted      Profile for mrs whibley     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks Alan

You see, that's the whole problem with the truth, it's boring!

Mrs Whibley

--------------------
I long for a faith that is gloriously treacherous - Mike Yaconelli

Posts: 942 | From: North Lincolnshire | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
fabula rasa
Shipmate
# 11436

- Posted      Profile for fabula rasa   Email fabula rasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

Over the years the admins have changed. There was a time when Erin and David did practically all of the member admin tasks, including banning those who deserved it. The avatar was an entertaining, and in many ways fitting, way to mark that Erin had done the booting. We haven't actually used it for a booting in a long time, partly because the member admins are more likely to do the deed than Erin.
But please, please don't ever get rid of the "Erin eating a Troll" avatar--it's too wonderful for words.
Posts: 465 | From: scepter'd isle | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Maybe we need an avatar like this for miscreants of the newer sockpuppetish type.

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by the giant cheeseburger:
Maybe we need an avatar like this for miscreants of the newer sockpuppetish type.

Just the threat might make people shape up.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

- Posted      Profile for monkeylizard   Email monkeylizard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
The avatar was an entertaining, and in many ways fitting, way to mark that Erin had done the booting.

I've always thought that was Shaun's avatar by his choice and a way to make a dig at Erin. Now it's not as funny...or amybe it's funnier. I haven't decided yet.

--------------------
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. ~ Herbert Spencer (1820 - 1903)

Posts: 2201 | From: Music City, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pure Sunshine
Shipmate
# 11904

- Posted      Profile for Pure Sunshine     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

Come on, I'm sure a little imagination could be used here. Impaled on Stoo's hook ... squashed by Scot's hand ... I bet even Chorister's teddy bear could turn into a grizzly if required. [Snigger]

--------------------
Pure Sunshine by name, and sometimes by nature.

Posts: 472 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's a lovely thought, but Stoo and Chorister are Hosts, not Admins. Scot's hand, on the other, er, hand, sounds like an excellent idea! [Big Grin]

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
don't mess wiv me on this ship or that's your bones I'm wearing

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pure Sunshine
Shipmate
# 11904

- Posted      Profile for Pure Sunshine     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Great Gumby:
It's a lovely thought, but Stoo and Chorister are Hosts, not Admins. Scot's hand, on the other, er, hand, sounds like an excellent idea! [Big Grin]

Ahh - I'd not quite got the difference yet.

Chorister - I'm scared now - I'll play nicely in the Circus from now on ... [Ultra confused]

Posts: 472 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scarlett:
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Heh. I was just thinking the other day about starting a thread called "Nativity Play Reunion Call."

OMG! Would you??? [Yipee]
Now that December is officially on us, I composed an OP. Am now in revision stage.

Keep an eye on Heaven! [Big Grin]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Viola
Administrator
# 20

- Posted      Profile for Viola   Email Viola   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
bump.

Seems appropriate right now...

--------------------
"If ye love me, keep my commandments" John 14:15

"Commandment number one: shut the hell up." Erin Etheredge 1971-2010

Posts: 4345 | From: West of England | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
JonahMan
Shipmate
# 12126

- Posted      Profile for JonahMan   Email JonahMan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks for bumping this (except for doing so when I have loads of things I should be doing instead of reading it). Very interesting, and gives a good insight into why some comments are made and some actions taken.

I'm still in the dark over the details of Cosmogate if anyone would like to enlighten me - though this is only morbid curiosity, not anything important!

Jonah

--------------------
Thank God for the aged
And old age itself, and illness and the grave
For when you're old, or ill and particularly in the coffin
It's no trouble to behave

Posts: 914 | From: Planet Zog | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There is a thread in Oblivion about Cosmogate

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
rufiki

Ship's 'shroom
# 11165

- Posted      Profile for rufiki   Email rufiki   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Could someone explain the significance of GIN?
Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

- Posted      Profile for Manipled Mutineer   Author's homepage   Email Manipled Mutineer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by rufiki:
Could someone explain the significance of GIN?

It is a food substitute traditional amongst Anglo- and Traditional Catholics.

--------------------
Collecting Catholic and Anglo-
Catholic books

Posts: 1533 | From: Glamorgan, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jason™

Host emeritus
# 9037

- Posted      Profile for Jason™   Author's homepage   Email Jason™   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, rufiki, it's one of the foulest tasting substances on earth. A long time ago, someone who was Exceptionally Cool decided it would be funny to pretend that he liked GIN. Ever since, other people have also been pretending to like it (and to like it very, very much) so as to be Exceptionally Cool as well.
Posts: 4123 | From: Land of Mary | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Teufelchen
Shipmate
# 10158

- Posted      Profile for Teufelchen   Email Teufelchen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Professor Kirke:
Well, rufiki, it's one of the foulest tasting substances on earth. A long time ago, someone who was Exceptionally Cool decided it would be funny to pretend that he liked GIN. Ever since, other people have also been pretending to like it (and to like it very, very much) so as to be Exceptionally Cool as well.

Gin is a fine drink. But there's a great deal of pretension surrounding the myth that it's good to drink neat - for example, all the arrogance as to how dry one can make a martini.

T.

--------------------
Little devil

Posts: 3894 | From: London area | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
rufiki

Ship's 'shroom
# 11165

- Posted      Profile for rufiki   Email rufiki   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think you're not telling me the whole truth. Why, for example, is it always in CAPITALS? I smell a conspiracy. [Paranoid]
Viola
Administrator
# 20

- Posted      Profile for Viola   Email Viola   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by rufiki:
I think you're not telling me the whole truth. Why, for example, is it always in CAPITALS? I smell a conspiracy. [Paranoid]

Because once upon a time, a long long time ago, threads on gin were taking over the old Mystery Worshipper board. At some point, they were closed, on the basis that they were not relevant to the Mystery Worship reports that the board was there to discuss. It was suggested that if threads on a particular drink had to exist, they should do it in Heaven. However, a group of (mostly now departed) shipmates who saw the MW board as their only home on the ship complained and thus GIN in capitals became a sort of little protest.

And it seems that the folk memory likes to keep it that way as a sweet little memorial to an old dispute.

Or something like that anyway.

K.

--------------------

R.A.M.
Shipmate
# 7390

- Posted      Profile for R.A.M.   Email R.A.M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Important things have initial capitals, proper nouns are in many ways more important than other nouns, so they get initial capitals, really important people get capital initials on their personal pronouns, GIN is extra specially important so it gets two extra capital letters.

Also G, I and N are the initials of the three highest grades of a spiky anglo-catholic masonic sect. I daren't tell you the full importance of same, and fully expect the conspiracy to get to this bit of the thread and delete my post...

--------------------
Formerly Real Ale Methodist
Back after prolonged absence...

Posts: 1584 | From: (Sunshine on) Leith | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
On one of the Mischief Days / Hosts and Admins Days, the word 'gin' was eliminated from the boards altogether, even if it was part of a longer word. See my profile for example. No wonder singing is so much fun! [Biased]

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
cof cof, Viola missed out the integral, H&A day *** censoring. If memory serves correctly, the capitalisation came after the censoring; incited by Fiddleback (but of person I'm not certain). I thought it amusing at the time: a bunch of tat queens dancing around shouting GIN with unbridled glee after being repressed for a coupla days.

Nowdays it seems to be capitalised by anyone who really really really loves it.
[Projectile]
I cannot understand why. Satan uses it for enemas.

Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy B:
If memory serves correctly, the capitalisation came after the censoring; incited by Fiddleback (but of person I'm not certain).

Sorry, but memory serves incorrectly. I think Viola's explanation is the most accurate as far as I can remember. Capitalising the word pre-dated the first H&A day by at least 3 years and was started by Cosmo I think. It was certainly He who started the first thread.

quote:

Nowdays it seems to be capitalised by anyone who really really really loves it.
[Projectile]
I cannot understand why. Satan uses it for enemas.

That's true, but Jesus gave us tonic water to drink with it.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ah, yes! G&T, the social lubricant; clean, tart, refreshing!

[scotch should be reserved for solitary, spiritual introspection]

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Please could someone give me a brief history of what is mysteriously referred to as 'Cosmogate'?

This seems to have been an important event for the Ship, but extensive searching through the boards reveals only whispered references.

Thanks.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Posts: 7574 | From: Natural Sources | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

The main magazine article that covers most of 'Cosmogate' is here, which contains the basic story. Don't forget the follow up piece linked to from the bottom of that article.

There was an extensive discussion in the Styx, which is now here in Oblivion.

--------------------

Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you, Alan- very helpful indeed.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Posts: 7574 | From: Natural Sources | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Real Ale Methodist:
Also G, I and N are the initials of the three highest grades of a spiky anglo-catholic masonic sect. I daren't tell you the full importance of same, and fully expect the conspiracy to get to this bit of the thread and delete my post...

I must strongly protest that I am neither anglo-catholic, masonic* or a tat-queen, yet I do love GIN with all my heart and soul!

*Masonic! Masonic? I must hie to report this heretical organisation to the Holy Inquisition ...

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
piers ploughman
Shipmate
# 13174

- Posted      Profile for piers ploughman   Email piers ploughman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This thread has to be one of the most disturbing reads I've had in a while. I find myself torn between admiration for the Ship's founders and administrators and deep disturbance at the dark hints of a history of recurrent bannings and exclusions - often for reasons that had nothing to do with the recipients' on-site behaviour. One has the impression of a collective mind behind it all that dearly loves control and and sense of its own seniority in a sub-system and despises critical questioning and genuine dissidence. Increasing age makes me wary of such behaviour, especially away from work.

There was, of course, a strange medieval cult called the Ship of Fools that reflected many of the same characteristics and about which Malcolm Lambert once wrote it: 'should remind us how odd and excitable an illiterate peasant population, subject to the uncertainties and pressures of the time, could be.'(!)

--------------------
Eternity is in love with the productions of time.
William Blake.

Posts: 2121 | From: perth wa | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
Originally posted by piers ploughman:
the dark hints of a history of recurrent bannings and exclusions - often for reasons that had nothing to do with the recipients' on-site behaviour.

I don't recall a single instance of a banning, or even a suspension, that wasn't the result of something other than behaviour on this site. Perhaps I'm being blind, but I don't see any "dark hints" of such activity on our part on this thread either.

--------------------

piers ploughman
Shipmate
# 13174

- Posted      Profile for piers ploughman   Email piers ploughman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Shaun was banned long ago. For reasons other than anything posted on this thread.

Fiddleback was de-registered a long time back. Again for reasons other than anything posted on this thread. He was let back on after repenting in sackcloth and ashes.

This is one of the things I had in mind.

--------------------
Eternity is in love with the productions of time.
William Blake.

Posts: 2121 | From: perth wa | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
Dave Marshall

Shipmate
# 7533

- Posted      Profile for Dave Marshall     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
One has the impression of a collective mind behind it all that dearly loves control and and sense of its own seniority in a sub-system...

Probably true, because management are clear about what the Ship is and what it isn't.
quote:
... and despises critical questioning and genuine dissidence.
Despises??? Nah. Critical questioning is blatantly obviously allowed. As for genuine dissidence, how does that work on a private website? If we can't persuade management, we're absolutely free to dissidence ourselves off to another site.
Posts: 4763 | From: Derbyshire Dales | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Chelley

Ship's Old Boot
# 11322

- Posted      Profile for Chelley   Email Chelley   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
This thread has to be one of the most disturbing reads I've had in a while.

Really?! Personally I find the thread entitled
Ear Worms in heaven, much more disturbing.
quote:

I find myself torn between admiration for the Ship's founders and administrators and deep disturbance at the dark hints of a history of recurrent bannings and exclusions - often for reasons that had nothing to do with the recipients' on-site behaviour. One has the impression of a collective mind behind it all that dearly loves control and and sense of its own seniority in a sub-system and despises critical questioning and genuine dissidence. Increasing age makes me wary of such behaviour, especially away from work.

I find that putting the kettle on and having a nice cup of tea does the trick when dark hints of history and the collective mind get a bit worrisome.

[cross posted with Dave Marshall's very similar response!]

[ 17. December 2007, 11:34: Message edited by: Chelley ]

--------------------
"I love old things, they make me feel sad."
"What's good about sad?"
"It's happy for deep people!"

Sally Sparrow to Kathy - Doctor Who

Posts: 2870 | From: Wonderland, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Viola
Administrator
# 20

quote:
quote:

This is one of the things I had in mind.
He said 'on this thread' not 'on these boards'. Big difference. No-one has been banned here (as far as I recall) unless they've broken the commandments of these boards on these boards.

K.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've sometimes thought (more so in the past) that the "Hosts and Admins have it in for me" but what the heck, it's a bulletin board, not like my bread-and-butter living and the H&A's don't make a penny out of it either. If they decide to do something to make their lives easier so be it. We're guests, some of us paying guests.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Unfeature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016