homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's business   » The Styx   » New ship and new boards... please support us! (Page 12)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14 

Source: (consider it) Thread: New ship and new boards... please support us!
Phil the Bear
Shipmate
# 10464

- Posted      Profile for Phil the Bear   Email Phil the Bear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Get out the old Walker Brothers album with 'My Ship is Coming In'...

--------------------
Phil the Bear
------------------------------------
It's not the same thing at all

Posts: 174 | From: Southampton | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There's always Come Sail Away by Styx. Or is that too 70s?

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is it possible to be too 70s?

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Not according to my YouTube random playlist based on my previous choices.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:

Has anyone else noted the disturbing similarities between Alan and Homer Simpson? Bald, odd skin colour, does "nuclear stuff" professionally, drinks beer, and now affinity for 70's music...
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Is that a rhetorical question? (If not, the answer is "Absolutely.")

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

For some of us ANY '70s is too '70s. *shudders*

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Posts: 646 | From: Cape Town | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A ship playlist, how exciting!

Maybe The Irish Rover would be a good place to start.

Or World Party's

Ship of Fools

Or indeed Erasure's song of the same name

Ship of Fools

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well I suppose Sailing for all those 70s haters is a must...

[ETA Duchess used to have the World Party one in her sig]

[ 03. February 2018, 07:05: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Pants

Emergency underwear
# 999

- Posted      Profile for Pants   Email Pants   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
quote:

Has anyone else noted the disturbing similarities between Alan and Homer Simpson? Bald, odd skin colour, does "nuclear stuff" professionally, drinks beer, and now affinity for 70's music...
[Killing me]

--------------------
Many big thank yous to those who sponsored us.

I use £6m of military hardware to find hidden Tupperware in the woods.

Posts: 15217 | From: A grown up house | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If we are listing appropriate songs, then surely Gordon Lightfoot's "Christian Island" should be in the running.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Did no-one pick the Titanic reference??

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I did Oscar and my laughter startled the cat.

She is now outside sulking in the dark.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I did Oscar - it started playing this as an earworm - part of the soundtrack of my teenage years. I even saw him live the last time he was in the UK - at the Rainbow in Finsbury Park.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We could have a launch party in the cafe - maybe there could be a Ship playlist on Spotify that we could all play in the background while we’re there?

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Café? What café? I refer you to this post from 23 November 2017.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:
Originally posted by fletcher christian:
Will there be a Ship Cafe or has that been abandoned?

I'm not aware of any current plans to reinstate the café.
Other social media sites might be suitable, but I'm not going to suggest one, I value my neck.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
Café? What café? I refer you to this post from 23 November 2017.

Ah. I didn’t know.
Back in the day I tried it a few times, but I must have always picked the dead hours and rarely met anybody there.

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Are we nearly at the point where a new private board could be requested?

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sounds just like my kids were and grandchildren are now:

"Are we nearly there yet?"

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And, as every parent or grandparent has said ... "it won't be long now".

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

Perhaps everyone should start telling Simon they need a wee [Devil]

--------------------

The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The phenomenon is not new. In 1839 Johann Hinrich Wichern was running a mission school and invented the advent wreath as a countdown to Christmas because the children kept asking if they were nearly there yet.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Testing of Mystery Worship is in process and going well so far. A glitch or two to be ironed out, but hey, we're human.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's software, guys! Being tailored by a small team on a titchy budget. We'll get there.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Mine always said ‘just round the next corner’. It never was!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
It's software, guys! Being tailored by a small team on a titchy budget. We'll get there.

Pedantically noting that it were a large team on a large budget, it still wouldn't be ready.
In reality, it has not been overlong yet.
It is just that we want our shiny now!

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
quote:

Mine always said ‘just round the next corner’. It never was!
The nature of parenthood. Tell your kids to be truthful and then when asked "are we nearly there?" and ....

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:

Pedantically noting that it were a large team on a large budget, it still wouldn't be ready.

Ah! You must know the three laws of projects.

1. They always take longer than you think.
2. They always cost more than you think.
3. They always do less than you think.

[ 11. February 2018, 17:22: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There are several things in my life right now that are changing not-necessarily-for-the better, so I'm quite content to wait patiently for the new Ship. I'd rather wait and have it all go o.k. than launch it too soon and have the glitches come to the surface afterwards.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And the law of engineers and programmers:

Complete the project quickly but make it look as though you are struggling and then pull it out of the bag just before the deadline.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

By the way am I the only person who keeps coming back to the Styx several times a day just to see if it has happened yet so that I can be among the first to sign up?

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rogue:

Complete the project quickly but make it look as though you are struggling and then pull it out of the bag just before the deadline.

And discover that there were a couple of glitches you hadn't thought of....

We can wait. At least, for the moment.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon

Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

How dare you?! That's supposed to be a secret!

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Didn’t Scotty fess up to this method in one of the Star Trek films?

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

Multiply repair estimates by a factor of four

[ 11. February 2018, 22:02: Message edited by: Alan Cresswell ]

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

A wise habit.

(I have to confess that doing the Hokey-Cokey at this time of day and when I've not even posted a previous comment to lay me open the flood control is A BIT MUCH. It opens the way to adding a complaint to my post just to pass the time.)

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stercus Tauri:
quote:

Who nicked my undergrad essay writing ploy? Until now I thought it was all my own. Is nothing sacred?

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by jacobsen:
quote:

And discover that there were a couple of glitches you hadn't thought of....

We can wait. At least, for the moment.

You have forgotten those who test products and systems. I did hear of a project manager who paid bonuses to testers for finding errors, so they told programmers to put errors into code, then split the bonus.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

At least testers sometimes report bugs. It can be infuriating when they spot bugs and don't report them. We once supplied some equipment for evaluation, which included paying for support (training plus two weeks of my time for debugging since it was an application different from what you designed it for we figured any bugs would be more noticeable). Our problem was they wrote a report a few months after the evaluation, which they classified as restricted, and it took us 18 months to get clearance to read it. A few weeks after delivery they spotted a bug in my code, that from the brief description in the report took me about half an hour to locate and fix.

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
quote:
quote:

Who nicked my undergrad essay writing ploy? Until now I thought it was all my own. Is nothing sacred?
The sad thing for me was that it wasn't a ploy. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It is the the holy trinity of software development:

Cheap; on time; good.

Choose any two to get. We are getting it cheap (because of the incredible work so many are doing for free); we want it good (and, I can say, it is looking fantastic), so it will not be on time.

Every software project wants all three, but you can only have 2. At the most. I have worked on too many that only deliver one.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

Like Christmas and Easter it will be all the better for waiting. 40 days and 40 nights, perhaps???

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
quote:

It's also handy to write and use basically the same essay for two different classes in one term. Sometimes, you can find/create a connection between the topics of two different classes. Then just adapt each slightly. Much easier now, because computers.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
quote:
quote:
quote:

It's also handy to write and use basically the same essay for two different classes in one term. Sometimes, you can find/create a connection between the topics of two different classes. Then just adapt each slightly. Much easier now, because computers.
Much harder now, because computers. Urkund, Turnitin, or any of the other plagiarism software will pick that up in a heartbeat.

--------------------
So don't ever call me lucky
You don't know what I done, what it was, who I lost, or what it cost me
- A B Original: I C U

----
Love is as strong as death (Song of Solomon 8:6).

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Like Christmas and Easter it will be all the better for waiting. 40 days and 40 nights, perhaps???

I think (hope!) that it's too late to ask the groundhog for an opinion.
Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There used be a function that quickly showed your recent posts, making it easy to check how the discussion was going. That seems to have dropped. Is there any possibility of re-instating it?

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

Click on your post count.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

Currently, you can see your most recent posts (or someone elses recent posts) by clicking the post count under any post - there's a longer route via the directory.

The new software will have quick links to any threads you've started. There's also a notification feature which gives you choices of getting told when someone replies to one of your posts (or otherwise mentions you), posts on a thread you've posted on etc (you can choose what notifications to receive). Access to profiles is quite simple, and that includes a link to recent posts, not quite as simple as clicking on post count but pretty easy.

I'm pretty sure we won't be changing any of those features in the final snagging.

--------------------

The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
By the way am I the only person who keeps coming back to the Styx several times a day just to see if it has happened yet so that I can be among the first to sign up?

No [Hot and Hormonal]
Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016