homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Football - Euro 2012 (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Football - Euro 2012
passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Balaam:

On more pressing matters. This is the second time in succession that Huddersfield Town have made it to the League 1 Play-off Final, and the third time in three years in the play offs. I'm hoping it's third time lucky and Championship football next season.

Blade reporting in. We've been in play-offs five times before, and have a ..... poor record. I feel your pain, and hope it continues for you [Snigger]
Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It will be an all Yorkshire playoff anyway...

In similar news, I must admit I'm looking forward to watching the big game in the pub tomorrow. (And I guess I'll hang around in the pub afterwards to see Chelski lose to Bayern)

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Gutted for Blackpool. The second was a horrible goal to concede.

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
"Like Aston Villa, you've won it one time."

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rosa Winkel:

That message was from the Department for Past Glories.

Yesterday was a rotten day. Blackpool (my home town), Ulster('cos they're not Dubliners), Hibs (Hearts FC is not a lot better than Rangers in a number or ways) and Bayern (anyone but Chelski) all lost. The cricket didn't go too well either and I did my back lifting stuff around the folk festival yesterday.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

You're hilarious.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Winkel

# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Biased]

--------------------

Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good for York to go up.

Still not going to stop many Luton supporters from continuing there "we're too big for this league" talk.

Toronto FC 0-9. [Waterworks]

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Liberty

ship's football fanatic
# 713

- Posted      Profile for Liberty   Email Liberty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Big Grin] That is all!

--------------------
"I'ma be what I set out to be, without a doubt, undoubtedly"

Posts: 1879 | From: SW2 to 20009 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

- Posted      Profile for Cod     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A good comment to a Guardian piece congratulating Manchester City: "Congratulations to the Abu Dhabi royal family for being very rich".

Likewise, hearty congratulation to Roman Abramovich.

--------------------
"I fart in your general direction."
M Barnier

Posts: 4229 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Winkel

# 11424

Heh. Some mancs were saying that Manchester City only won because of the money they spent, like their spending since the 1990s has been on a shoestring. In fact the manc team cost only about 10m less than the City team.

I remember us breaking the transfer records for the King, as well as Beardsley, maybe Rushie as well (though the mancs were spending more in general at that time).

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Don't you think that if it wasn't about money then Arsenal would have been a lot more successful than in recent years?

But it has always been that way and most other sports are the same, so there's no point complaining.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Rosa Winkel

# 11424

Arsenal are what FSG want us to be: Regularly getting into the European Cup, while winning cups is not seen as important. Arsenal are where they are now also due to the expensive stadium they have. Saying that, FSG would never give the manager as much power as Wenger has, and even a cup win wouldn't keep him in the job [Mad]

To tell the truth, though, things are not now as they have been before. While we may have splashed out a bit in the 80s, the money spent now by the bigger clubs is in proportion much more than it was.

Our double season of 1986 saw West Ham and Chelsea beneath us (in the days when I actually didn't mind Chelsea [Biased] ). Before that, we had Aston Villa winning the title, Notts Forest as well and Derby. We won the league in the early 60s in the first season after we had been promoted. That never happens now. Hell, Norwich were right up there in 1994/94.

Things have changed. Norwich and Aston Villa did well through good managers and players. Now money is needed. A lot of it. Both Newcastle and Spurs had spent a few pennies. Of course, good managers and players are needed on top of that, but money counts for more than it used to.

To tell the truth, I don't love the game as much as I did. Nowhere near as much. When we were doing badly in the 90s (well, despite two cups) we had at least an ethos at the club that wasn't just about money. Now the balance sheet is more important than cups (Ian Ayre said that the King would have been sacked even if we had won the FA cpu). To add to that, last season saw a lot of bilious shite put our way. Songs implicating that Liverpool fans were to blame for Hillsborough have, through the mancs, become standard, sung by all manner of teams such as Norwich.

I used to like Kerry Dixon and David Speedie (even before he came to ours), Oxford United, West Ham (sorry, Ken), Celtic, Norwich and Newcastle. I bought Blackburn and Leeds fanzines. I used to watch every single live game going, including foreign games. I used to be in love with the game. Now I see my own club selling out, a selling out that I myself wanted so that we could "compete".

Chelsea winning the European Cup is way way down on my list of things that I don't like about football now.

Hell, here in Poland billions of złoty has been invested in stadiums, while some flats here in Wrocław don't have running water and toilets, while at the same time a massive hole by the new stadium here needs filling, the cost being 5-10m złoty, which is about 1-2.5m pounds. In the Ukraine they are burning homeless animals alive in order to "clean up" the areas around stadiums.

In Warsaw there used to be an international market, where one could get produce from Asia and all manner of countries. That was booted out and now there is the national stadium, a stadium where Legia Warsaw play, a team whose fans sing anti-semitic songs and have banners about "white power".

I don't think I'll kick this game off, but I even found that I didn't get that exited about our wins over you lot in the Carling Cup, or against Cardiff in the final. The game is for the many who don't have a real connection to clubs now, those who only watch the big games, those who want instant success.

--------------------

Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

- Posted      Profile for Cod     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Heh. Some mancs were saying that Manchester City only won because of the money they spent, like their spending since the 1990s has been on a shoestring. In fact the manc team cost only about 10m less than the City team.

I remember us breaking the transfer records for the King, as well as Beardsley, maybe Rushie as well (though the mancs were spending more in general at that time).

In fairness, United fans could point out that revenues for its players were generated by normal business means, ie, ticket sales, merchandise and sale of television rights, rather than simple cash injections by wealthy individuals. I suspect that, unfortunately, they are one of the few powerful clubs who can claim this.
Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

On another topic, what do any Liverpool fans here think of the proposed stripping back of the badge?

Liverpool kit launch sparks anger among Hillsborough families.

--------------------
M Barnier

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Bayern, Real, Barca, and most of the big Italian teams count, don't they?

--------------------
Brian Clough

Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

Rosa,

In my view, football as a spectator sport was originally all about business and the situation until the 1980s was actually quite contrived. The original idea was a) build a stadium, b) get some good players and c) generate revenue through gate receipts. Rangers FC, for example, specifically marketed themselves as a Protestant challenger to Celtic for this purpose. Partick Thistle (I am told) attempted to market themselves as a Scottish rather than a sectarian alternative.

IMO the situation of English football until the 1980s was somewhat artificial and created by the restrictions on investors taking drawings from clubs. These restrictions discouraged investment by individuals into clubs. This meant some good things - e.g. the League was not dominated by a handful of clubs, and directors tended to operate more for the good of clubs, but also bad things - dilapidated and dangerous grounds, for example.

I recollect directors from the mid-1980s who actually tried to destroy their own clubs so they could sell the stadiums to property developers.

I am told that Thatcher's government were responsible for removing these restrictions. If so, ISTM football would immediately have been made much more attractive to a person with enough money to lend to a club, thus allowing the club to buy players, renovate its ground, challenge for honours and by doing so build its brand and increase the capital value of the investor's shares. Clubs like Manchester United, by becoming internationally recognised, have been extremely successful in doing this.

It will be interesting to see what happens next. There is probably no profit to be made in buying up a club whose brand is already global (as Hicks and Gillet probably found to their cost). Such profit to be made is probably in clubs that aren't quite at that level - and Manchester City were one of those. Probably also Birmingham City and Villa, although they have been less successful.

Eventually investors will probably move onto other leagues or other sports, but it doesn't seem to be happening just yet. Cardiff's new owners seem to have grand plans afoot.

--------------------
M Barnier

Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

quote:
Originally posted by Imaginary Friend:
Bayern, Real, Barca, and most of the big Italian teams count, don't they?

Not sure. I understand that Barcelona are backed by some pretty big money.

I think also German clubs' grounds are owned by local authorities, which would be something of an advantage for them.

--------------------
M Barnier

Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
German clubs are required to be majority-owned by supporters. Barcelona and Real Madrid are also supporter-owned.

See the fount of knowledge.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

Chelsea could be said to be 100% supporter-owned; that if Roman Abramovich is a supporter.
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Possibly, but Wikipedia defines supporter ownership as ownership "via either a collective organisation or where the assumption of majority ownership by a small group is prohibited by the club's constitution or governing documents". So Abramovich wouldn't count.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

quote:
Originally posted by Cod:
...Thatcher's government...

You didn't just use the 'T' word, did you? [Eek!]

quote:
It will be interesting to see what happens next. There is probably no profit to be made in buying up a club whose brand is already global (as Hicks and Gillet probably found to their cost). Such profit to be made is probably in clubs that aren't quite at that level - and Manchester City were one of those. Probably also Birmingham City and Villa, although they have been less successful.

I don't know this for certain, but it seems to me that the amount of money required to raise a club from the lower half of the Premiership to the top four and keep them there is much higher than any financial return that can be expected. So I don't think that football at that level is actually a shrewd investment*. Therefore there has to be some other reason for 'investing' to get to the top. It could be because you have more money than you know what to do with and you fancy an expensive Subbuteo set (cf Abramovich) or you are try to conduct a PR campaign for your organization of choice (cf the Sheikhs at City). The FFP regulations may curtail this to a degree but from what I've heard, City are already finding loopholes which will enable them to keep spending. I'm sure that if one club does it then many will so it's not going to change anytime soon.

* I would think that if a club is well run and consistently gets good gates and a respectable mid-table position then that could turn a profit.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Rosa Winkel

# 11424

A German friend has reminded me that, in Germany, clubs are not allowed to have a certain proportion or amount of debt.

Would that such a rule exist in England and Wales, then Chelsea (I gather), the mancs and us a few seasons back would have come stuck.

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Well, there's different types of debt. My understanding of Chelsea's situation is that the essentially had a huge mortgage to fund the hotel, conference complex, stadium improvements and whatever else Ken Bates put in place. That's a bit different from getting a big bank loan to buy players and pay the wages.

But I take your overall point - debt in football is a double-edged sword.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Unhinged FC's (aka QPR) captain Joey Barton will have an extended summer holiday as the FA have handed him a 12 match ban.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Roughly speaking, that's a third of the season. I imagine that Rangers would like to ship him on, but I bet they'll struggle to find anyone to buy him.

Just as a passing question - would the ban also stand if he went abroad?

--------------------
Brian Clough

Rosa Winkel

# 11424

My Michael Owen's standards that's three seasons.

Anyway, the accounts of Premier League clubs have been published (apart from the brummies). Only five clubs made a profit last year. The usual suspects (including ourselves) made the biggest losses: Linkety link, linkety link (to the tune of "Blankety blank")

--------------------

Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
Possibly, but Wikipedia defines supporter ownership as ownership "via either a collective organisation or where the assumption of majority ownership by a small group is prohibited by the club's constitution or governing documents". So Abramovich wouldn't count.

I remain to be convinced. Big money could be injected into such a club simply by lending and, for example, taking a mortgage over the stadium. Prohibition of majority ownership could be hard to enforce without clear and very strictly policed associated-persons tests.

One fine wheeze to get around the German debt-ceiling test would be simply to find a financial backer and have them underwrite the cost of paying some of the players' salaries and repay them a proportion of revenue weekly, thus avoiding breaching the debt ceiling. It took me ten seconds to think of that.

--------------------
M Barnier

Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

True, but I think that would then dilute the ego-maniac PR value of being a wealthy football club backer, if you had to do it in a secretive or obviously rule-bending way.

--------------------

Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

Incidentally, I was walking past Anfield the other day with four bags of heavy shopping, and a bloke saw me and said, 'Can you manage?' I said 'Yes', and he said, 'Good, d'you want a job?'

--------------------

Rosa Winkel

# 11424

quote:
On another topic, what do any Liverpool fans here think of the proposed stripping back of the badge?

Liverpool kit launch sparks anger among Hillsborough families.

I actually prefer the new, well, the old badge.

For me the issue with the outcry is not about the new badge per se, rather that the club claimed that it had spoken with families of those who died. In fact it only spoke with the relief group and not with the Hillsborough Justice Campaign group, which the club once branded as "political". That the club didn't ask those families what they thought shows the deeper problem in the club's relationship with those who wish to make truth known.

--------------------

Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

I'd be interested to know what the general feeling was about the Hillsborough victims being commemorated on the club badge in the first place. Leaving aside the absolute justice of the cause, I'd wonder if some thought it exceptional treatment which risked the club losing control of its own badge.

--------------------
M Barnier

Rosa Winkel

# 11424

Is the Liverpool badge really owned by the club?

It's an ongoing debate as to who or what constitutes the club, exactly. One could look at it from a business point of view, whereby the club constitutes FSG and the rest of the management. Or it is the managing team and players? Or it is the fans? Is it Anfield? Our heritage? Is it those countless people who consider themselves to be Reds but have never set foot inside Anfield, or even Liverpool, people who may do strange things like vote Tory?

Regarding Hillsborough, it is the fans who lead the way, not the management. Parry and Moores were notoriously and scandalously unable to deal with the notion of a campaigning group. From this point of view I don't really care if the club (by which I mean the management) "lose control" over the badge. Us fans have lost control over many important things.

For me it's symbolic. Hillsborough is part of our identity and the eternal flame being on the badge was part of that, and showed the management acknowledging that (though perhaps in a money-making way). I know that some campaigners are concerned whether the "96" being on the back of the shirt will later lead to any form of commemoration on the shirt being got rid of in the future.

Let's put it this way: I would find rather having a club that supported the HJC and not have any form of commemoration on the shirt than the other way around.

Of course, the management did stand for something it believed in last season, and I supported that, but it faced widespread vilification for that by many unthinking and bigoted people. From that shameful episode they learned not to stand up to the mob, as it is bad for the "brand".

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

FWIW I believe that the ground (a term I prefer to stadium) defines a football club. It's 'home' and the focus after all. It's also a uniting factor for the team and supporting staff, fans, owners and third parties. People think of Liverpool, they think Anfield.

As for the badge I'm not (as you expect) a fan of change. While Everton's crest has altered rarely the shirt badge has changed more often. I'm not sure the alternative shirts back in the sixties (yellow) even had a badge!

As for the Hillsborough and Suarez issues, Hillsborough unites the blue and red halves of Liverpool like nothing else, not even our shared opinion of the Mancs. On Suarez, yes, Liverpool's fans and the club were right to support him but many feel that some of the methods used were over the top, especially the shirt protest, but given the pressure Suarez and the club were under I'm not surprised they chose to fight back, and I doubt Everton and one of our overseas players would have done much different, even under Moyes, who is nowhere near as closely linked to the club as Dalglish is to Liverpool.

Any idea how we can get a result off you next season?

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Rosa Winkel

# 11424

I gather that Everton fans were cheering when they heard that QPR were ahead at the blue mancs. That Ferguson got a round of applause in the bullens end a few seasons ago leads me to believe that a "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" thing is going on here. Of course, not all Everton fans are like that, but a sizable minority.

The Everton fans respected the minute silence at the semi-final, and I've seen a "Justice for the 96" banner in blue. Saying that, some Everton fans were singing the manc "always the victim" song, which implicates the S*n/Druckenfeld/Thatcher lies.

I have no idea what will happen next season. We'll either be Hodgson-bad or Rafa-good. Whether our run of success over you coincides with our manger being Houllier, Rafa or Dalglish, or whether it's about David "ten more years" Moyes I don't know.

[ 26. May 2012, 15:28: Message edited by: Rosa Winkel ]

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In other news, Huddersfield Town are promoted to the championship after the third successive year in the league 1 playoffs and the second in the final.

I genuinely commiserate the Sheffield United fans, knowing what it feels like to lose the final from last year. But going to 22 penalties...

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

On the subject of penalties I see that Sepp Blatter has appointed Franz Beckenbauer (president and past player and manager of Bayern Munich FC) to investigate the use of penalties when a winner must be found. This comes a week after an English club beat Bayern Munich in the UEFA Cup final.

You couldn't make it up, could you?

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

Of course from a strictly legal perspective, the club is the limited company or group of companies that own things like, the ground, the contracts with the players and staff, but most importantly of all, the intellectual property such as club colours, kit, and badge. The people colloquially known as the "owners" are the shareholders.

One of the sadder things to have happened in the past twenty years is the extent to which various club owners have realised the power that possession of the club symbols (the ground, the colours, the badge) gives them. Such things in the past were less important. QPR have played without a badge for most of their history: in the 1960s they adopted the arms of Hammersmith Borough, then they went back to nothing, and then adopted various forms of the interlocking letters before alighting on their current excrescence of a badge.

There is quite a body of case law involving clubs like Arsenal fighting successfully to prevent their fans from using the club badge and other symbols, ie, the gun - in order to control merchandise and ensure that the club's revenue was maximised.

I think it was Ken Bates who struck a deal with Leeds United's creditors - Leeds' holding company went into liquidation with Bates one of the chief creditors. The deal gave Bates ownership of the recognisable symbols of Leeds United - again, the badge, the kit and so on. I'm not sure what has happened to Elland Road, but so what. It was a very smart piece of work by Bates who, one assumes, knew that the fans would return to follow the eagles, as Robert Graves might put it. At the end of the day, a football club is a business, and the fans are its customers and its goodwill before they are co-owners or participants.

Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
Don't know about 'hope'. More, 'Who would be mad enough to accept a role that requires you to put Liverpool back in the Champions League when all the money's been spent on underperforming flops, which gave Houllier a heart attack, Benítez kidney stones, and Hodgson and Dalglish some fairly rapid P45s, and at a club where all the senior backroom staff have been sacked or resigned?'

[Frown]

Ah! Appropriately mad person has been found.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

This time last year Roy Hodgson was appointed to murmurings that he wasn't a big enough name to manage a club like Liverpool. Now Brendan Rodgers has taken the job.

Now I like the guy and the Swans play good looking football for which he has to take credit. Given the players at his disposal I don't think he had an alternative. If the owners of Liverpool cut him some slack I reckon he will do a decent job as, unlike Kenny, he will be free of any expectation that the red shirt and the club badge will do any kind of magic. Lucas ought to get back soon and I sense that Carroll is settling down, so as soon as Carragher is persuaded to retire there's a chnce that the Red Menace could get somewhere.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

The board said they want Champions League qualification as a minimum.

Rodgers' appointment makes sense actually. An experienced manager who has taken mid-table sides to the CL probably doesn't want to work at Liverpool. An experienced manager who hasn't done so probably isn't going to do so. Hence an inexperienced manager with high potential is probably the way forward.

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Liverpool fans always say that their manager has to have European experience. Managing in Wales has to count, doesn't it?

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I just finished reading a book by Freya North on Nook where one of the protagonists is a Spurs supporter.

I have recorded England's friendly with Belgium: hope the right side won!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Liverpool fans always say that their manager has to have European experience. Managing in Wales has to count, doesn't it?

He was at Chelsea for a few years too, so he'll be used to dealing with European players. Maybe it isn't such a bad idea after all.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Rosa Winkel

# 11424

quote:

He studied coaching in Spain.

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
Is it ok to open a thread to discuss the Euro Cup? I'm going to watch our first game tomorrow with some Danish colleagues, that should be fun.

I'm hoping that Holland will win of course, but I'm not 100% confident. With the Dutch, it's all between the ears. When they are psychologically well, they can beat any team 3-0. But when they start thinking too much, they could lose as well, even against the weaker teams.

At least the group we're in is interesting. All four group members are in FIFA's top 10! I wonder how they got that together.

But I admit that Spain probably has the best chances of winning. What do you think?

On paper, Spain should win, but see my sig line. [Biased] I reckon a lot of the Spanish players are knackered after a long season, more so than players who play in other countries, and I can't help but think that there's an upset in the works this year.

I drew Croatia in a sweepstake, so I'm currently mugging up on Modric's buddies before their game against Ireland on Sunday. Anything to distract me from the debacle of the English preparation!

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Over the years some unfancied sides have won the 'Euros' as it seems to be called. The then Czechoslovakia beat West Germany in 1976, Denmark (only invited at a fortnight's notice) then beat the whole of Germany in 1992 while Greece beat the home favourites Portugal in 2004 (twice). Hosts don't seem to have the same advantage that they have in the World Cup, possibly because the cultures don't vary so much.

Despite that, I'm going to follow the old story about international football: A game played for 90 minutes by 22 men kicking a ball around at the end of which the Germans win. They aren't strangers to Poland and Ukraine either [Biased]

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Jonah the Whale

Ship's pet cetacean
# 1244

- Posted      Profile for Jonah the Whale   Email Jonah the Whale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Over the years some unfancied sides have won the 'Euros' as it seems to be called.
I hope this means England have a chance, there can't be many less fancied teams than England. On the other hand, if we do manage a sneaky win in the group stage I am sure the press will be naming them dead certs for the championship, only to pillory them at the next poor result. There really is no middle ground.
Meanwhile in my departmental pool, made more interesting due to having colleagues from Greece, Germany, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Italy, France and England, I've gone for revenge for the World Cup - Netherlands to beat Spain in the final, with Germany and Italy as losing semi-finalists. A bit of a boring pick, I know, with all the usual suspects.

Posts: 2799 | From: Nether Regions | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

My personal favorite meme of the buildup has been "we don't have any chance so expectations are low so the pressure is off so actually we have quite a good chance."

Hilarious.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
My personal favorite meme of the buildup has been "we don't have any chance so expectations are low so the pressure is off so actually we have quite a good chance."

Hilarious.

The England backroom team want to avoid adverse press when the team doesn't deliver. That's a typical English attitude though, paying more attention to a fear of failure than concntrating on winning half a dozen football matches.

The competition's started well for everyone except Poland.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016