homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Café now testing (Page 9)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  19  20  21 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Café now testing
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I run Linux Mint 4 which is based on Gutsy and it installed Java 1.6 out of the box. I've been able to run the Cafe fine.

However I'm not sure which repository the Java install came from.

Mint is great, IMO, but it might be a bit OTT for a slimmed down machine like the Eee PC.

Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Random Cathoholic
Shipmate
# 13129

- Posted      Profile for Random Cathoholic         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alex Cockell:
My question - those here who are running Ubuntu - is the required version of Java (1.6?) on their production repositories, or installed as part of the base build when installing 8.1 (or 7.10)?

I'm running Gutsy on my Thinkpad, and I've not had any problem with the Cafe. It Just Works(C)(R)(TM).
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Umm - remind me... Gutsy Gibbon is Ubuntu 7.10? 8.1's Hardy something, isn't it?

I had a natter with ASUS today during my lunch hour - and it would appear that Flash 9 and Java 1.6 are being worked on. 1.5 is supplied out of the box. I'll have to email them tomorrow (all the PC-purchase stuff is being done at work as I'm more likely to be placing the final order during my lunch break) so the assistant I talked to has all the questions to forward on. Turns out that with the 900's 1024x600 display, 20Gb SSD etc - at £329 - would make a nice mobile drivce on steroids (Skype et al will be quite helpful as well - just an annoyingly cramped kbd.. and I'd prefer to wait till the 6-cell batteries are out).

I know it's not the best place to ask - but to those running THinkpads - how much memory? Get the 2nd gig?

(found a good option at linuxemporium.co.uk - the r61i)

Posts: 2146 | From: Reading, Berkshire UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gwaelod
Shipmate
# 6140

- Posted      Profile for Gwaelod   Email Gwaelod   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You need Java 1.5 or above.

Oh, and I updated the software this evening to include more smileys. There's a little menu too so you don't have to remember all the shortcuts.

Posts: 230 | From: Cardiff | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
rufiki

Ship's 'shroom
# 11165

- Posted      Profile for rufiki   Email rufiki   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Overused] Gwaelod
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But the shortcuts add another dimension in the use of the smileys!

Thank you Gwaelod [Big Grin]

[ 17. April 2008, 22:32: Message edited by: Curiosity killed ... ]

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Melon

Ship's desserter
# 4038

- Posted      Profile for Melon   Author's homepage   Email Melon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alex Cockell:
Also - I'm thinking of getting an ASUS EEE Linux-based unit when the EEE 900 (1Gb memory, 20Gb SSD, 1024 horizontal display, slightly larger keys) comes out... but anyone used one of those against the cafe?

My 701 worked out of the box with the new café, and also works fine now that I've installed Kubuntu on it (I think I downloaded java from the Sun site). I gather that java is not preinstalled on the 2Gb models.

(The emphasis in Xandros is on the second syllable, and, in any case, it became a lot less useful as soon as Asus removed the interface to 'expert' mode, which means you have to hack the system anyway. The first thing I did was add 2Gb of RAM. EeeXubuntu froze on me. Kubuntu installed fine, and, unlike Xandros, you can then install all your favourite Linux utilities using Synaptic or similar. Do we need a heaven thread on Eees?)

[ETA - Alex, you can never have too much RAM with Linux - I upgraded my Thinkpad to 1.25Gb, and today I wouldn't buy a new one with less than 2Gb]

[ 18. April 2008, 11:25: Message edited by: Melon ]

--------------------
French Whine

Posts: 4177 | From: Cavaillon, France | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Frown] I so miss sound.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Potoroo
Shipmate
# 13466

- Posted      Profile for Potoroo     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Zappa, the Cafe booted me... [Waterworks]

Trying to get back in but nothing happening yet! Sorry! [Frown]

--------------------
Gilbert's Potoroo is Australia's most endangered animal.

Posts: 2778 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
apparently you're still in there!
[Ultra confused]

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Potoroo
Shipmate
# 13466

- Posted      Profile for Potoroo     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No, it booted me in the middle of typing a question... [Frown] Really sorry!

But if I'm still in there it might explain why I can't get back in?! [Confused]

--------------------

Ultracrepidarian
Shipmate
# 9679

- Posted      Profile for Ultracrepidarian   Email Ultracrepidarian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You've just gone, so you should be able to get back. (I think)
Posts: 1897 | From: Cattle crossing | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Potoroo
Shipmate
# 13466

Grrrr! It did it to me again!

Guess I'll have to wait till it shows me as not being there again... [Frown] Then I'll try again.

--------------------

Ultracrepidarian
Shipmate
# 9679

- Posted      Profile for Ultracrepidarian   Email Ultracrepidarian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll let you know when you disappear again.
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

We still love you, tho!

--------------------

Potoroo
Shipmate
# 13466

Thanks, you guys... [Smile] [Smile]

(I was going to use the blush emoticon, but then I noticed it was labelled "hot and hormonal" - so I didn't! Lol)

--------------------

Ultracrepidarian
Shipmate
# 9679

Potoroo is gone, long live Potoroo!!
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

u r out now, pot!

--------------------

Potoroo
Shipmate
# 13466

Sorry guys, it happened a third time...gonna give it up for tonight! It's getting ridiculous.

Thanks for the chat, though! Good night [Smile]

--------------------

rufiki

Ship's 'shroom
# 11165

- Posted      Profile for rufiki   Email rufiki   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Did we break it?
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It broke yesterday too, when I was trying to post and I wondered if it was some key combination, but tonight I was reading when it died.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Eleanor Jane
Shipmate
# 13102

- Posted      Profile for Eleanor Jane     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone bored* and feel like a chat?

EJ

*Amusement not guaranteed, amusement is at the discretion of the provider...

Posts: 556 | From: Now in the UK! | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
PeterJMcC
Apprentice
# 13631

- Posted      Profile for PeterJMcC   Author's homepage   Email PeterJMcC   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eleanor Jane:

EJ

--------------------
PeterJMcC
Far-Outside-London UK

Posts: 8 | From: Ingleton North Yorkshire UK | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

EJ

Please use the Born to Chat thread in All Saints to tell others that you're in the cafe and wanting to chat. This thread is to report technical problems / make suggestions for improvement etc. Thank you.

Tubbs
Styx Host

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Foaming Draught
The Low in Low Church
# 9134

- Posted      Profile for Foaming Draught   Email Foaming Draught   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have no problem with the caff, under saintly Linux or evil MS. I'm glad that the text boxes are a more, er, ergonomic size than the initial two byte cells. But I miss two things:

1. Sound, so that I can wander off to make a cup of tea or a crême de menthe frappé and know that there's movement at the station, and

2. the ability to log in without a Ship ID so that I can sus out whether there's a NW US (or Home Counties or wherever) clique hogging the place.

--------------------
Australians all let us ring Joyce
For she is young and free

Posts: 8661 | From: Et in Australia Ego | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PeterJMcC:
quote:

EJ

PeterJMcC: It would be a good place for you to be too: On the Born to Chat thread in AS. But on your way over there, stop in at the Welcome thread to introduce yourself!

Introduction thread is here.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Foaming Draught:
I miss two things:

<snip>

2. the ability to log in without a Ship ID

The guest login feature on the old Cafe was our biggest source of abuse of the facility. There was no practical way for us to exclude individuals from the Cafe, and we had several instances of people banned from the boards still using the Cafe (and often repeating the same unacceptable behaviour there). Not including a guest login feature removes that potential problem entirely.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Melon

Ship's desserter
# 4038

- Posted      Profile for Melon   Author's homepage   Email Melon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Foaming Draught:
the ability to log in without a Ship ID so that I can sus out whether there's a NW US (or Home Counties or wherever) clique hogging the place.

At some point we are going to implement a system that allows users to see who is logged in without logging in themselves. Popping in and out as guests just to do that was always more than a little irritating for those present.

--------------------
French Whine

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re guest log-in:

I understand the reasons against it that were mentioned above.

But disallowing it also means that if someone falls overboard (gets disconnected) and their ID doesn't automatically log out, the user won't be able to get back into the cafe until the ID clears. Sometimes that takes hours; and IME it happens often, no matter what cafe software is used.

Without guest log-in, there are apt to be very frustrated users, FWIW.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Take it as a sign that you should be dealing with something in real life.
Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Melon

Ship's desserter
# 4038

If the 'frozen' problem persists (and Gwaelod thinks we ought to be able to fix it, although I maintain it's a direct consequence of the architecture of the Internet), we should be able to come up with another way to boot ghosts, eg via the website.

--------------------
French Whine

Anselm
Shipmate
# 4499

- Posted      Profile for Anselm   Email Anselm   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps we need to install an exorcism smilie to get rid of the ghosts?

--------------------
carpe diem domini
...seize the day to play dominoes?

Posts: 2544 | From: The Scriptorium | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well I don't know if it was discussing demons, double spacing, or Colour Factor that did it, but I was just unceremoniously booted and couldn't get back in.

quote:
IO Error (java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect)
java.net.PlainSocketImpl : socketConnect at line -2
java.net.PlainSocketImpl : doConnect at line -1
java.net.PlainSocketImpl : connectToAddress at line -1
java.net.PlainSocketImpl : connect at line -1
java.net.SocksSocketImpl : connect at line -1
java.net.Socket : connect at line -1
java.net.Socket : connect at line -1
java.net.Socket : <init> at line -1
java.net.Socket : <init> at line -1
uk.co.darkgreenmedia.faverolle.SocketComms : run at line 98
java.lang.Thread : run at line -1

I've taken it as a Sign&trade that I should go to bed.

[ETA PM from another user suggests that we all fell out at the same time: about five of us in there]

[ 02. May 2008, 20:41: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
rufiki

Ship's 'shroom
# 11165

We all were Eutychus, but we're back in now.
Foaming Draught
The Low in Low Church
# 9134

- Posted      Profile for Foaming Draught   Email Foaming Draught   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, now there's a nice big conversation screen (but no interlocutor with whom I may try it out) but my foaming draught has disappeared to be replaced with what I guess is a generic avatar resembling an online chess pawn.

FD

Posts: 8661 | From: Et in Australia Ego | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm in the ship cafe - anyone else around ?

DT

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oops, missed cusanus - it would really help if you could set a sound for when people enter the room.

DT

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

MiceElf

Not your average mouse
# 4389

- Posted      Profile for MiceElf   Email MiceElf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Im sorry if this has been covered already, but I have a problem I didnt have before.

When the cafe was testing I could get in, now it gives me this (edited password and user name)

ocket thread started
Buffer position = 0
Received XML = '<contexts>
<user_context xmlns:xcr="http://xcruciate.co.uk" id="a1742" name="reception"/>
</contexts>'
Context changed event fired
<commands/>

Round trip = 0 milliseconds
Buffer position = 0
Received XML = '<abilities>
<user_ability xmlns:xcr="http://xcruciate.co.uk" id="a1743" name="visitor"/>
</abilities>'
No consumer for nodes with name of 'abilities'
Buffer position = 0
Received XML = '<xcr:available_commands>
<xcr:command name="commands"/>
<xcr:command name="describe_commands"/>
<xcr:command name="describe_command"/>
<xcr:command name="registered"/>
<xcr:command name="unregistered"/>
</xcr:available_commands>'
New commands incoming
Command list complete for current context
New commands event fired
<registered pass="xxxxxx" user="xxxxxx"/>

Round trip = 301 milliseconds
Buffer position = 0
Received XML = '<xcr:message category="term" message_id="registered_login_failed">Login attempt failed</xcr:message>'
Disconnected

Why what has gone wrong?

--------------------
What do we want.... Cure for Obesity
When do we want it.... After Dessert.

Posts: 1032 | From: OILOVWOIGHT | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have my new laptop now - but no sign of being able to get into the cafe. I am running preinstalled Ubuntu 8.04LTS. What do I do now?
Posts: 2146 | From: Reading, Berkshire UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pooks
Shipmate
# 11425

- Posted      Profile for Pooks     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have you downloaded java?
Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I'm in. And as an old fashioned steam driven goringe fan, I hate to admit it -but it's not bad. [Biased]

--------------------
"I don't feel like smiling." "You're English dear; fake it!" (Colin Firth "Easy Virtue")
Growing Greenpatches

Posts: 4739 | From: The Kitchen | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My laptop is still complaining that it can't validate the certificate. This has led me off on a merry trail of root certificate investigation. I have now found a list of these in IEX but none of them looks like it's the café one. Can anyone enlighten me as to what certificate it uses?

(Melon and Gwaelod, I have the identical problem with WebAsaph, if that sheds any light).

[ 19. May 2008, 18:48: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Any chance of sound in the cafe - we could use these they're free.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

There is a way of attracting the attention of someone in the café: if you start a private conversation with the person who has not noticed you have arrived, that private conversation window takes priority and pops up in front of anything else they are working on or reading.

Personally, I only use that technique with people I know reasonably well. The other usual suspect and I are perfectly capable of just sending the message: "Boo!", but we've spent a lot of time chatting in there and have met in real life.

--------------------

rufiki

Ship's 'shroom
# 11165

I fell overboard! [Frown]
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

As did the other usual suspect

--------------------

amber.
Ship's Aspiedestra
# 11142

- Posted      Profile for amber.   Email amber.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it's chucked us all out. Says connection refused and gives me a load of code. Drat.
Posts: 5102 | From: Central South of England | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
amber.
Ship's Aspiedestra
# 11142

- Posted      Profile for amber.   Email amber.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's working again
Posts: 5102 | From: Central South of England | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Overboard again

--------------------

rufiki

Ship's 'shroom
# 11165

Twice in one evening [Frown]

quote:
Unexpected disconnection (java.io.EOFException)
java.io.DataInputStream : readByte at line 250
uk.co.darkgreenmedia.faverolle.SocketComms : run at line 120
java.lang.Thread : run at line 619

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  19  20  21 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016