homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Keep Calm and Carry On - the British thread 2014 (Page 35)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  32  33  34  35  36  37  38  ...  52  53  54 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Keep Calm and Carry On - the British thread 2014
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I thought the world would end when Jimmy Young retired. But it carried on. Then I thought the world would end when Terry Wogan stopped his daily TOGS programme. But it carried on. However, I'm SURE the world will definitely end when Ken Bruce hangs up his DJ kit for the last time. [Paranoid]

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There are French sticks ready for virtual tasting - help yourselves. [Smile]

In other news, I'm delighted to report that after going into administration earlier in the year [Waterworks] Ortak, my favourite jeweller, has been bought and re-launched its web-site. Unfortunately for my bank manager, they had a pendant and ear-rings in an enamel matching the colours in my outfit for the wedding ...

I've e-mailed them and they're going to keep them for me to pick up when I get there. [Yipee]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
He, I have a lovely collection of Cornish cheeses to go with that bread.
We got back from Cornwall on Sunday, having survived hurricane Bertha whilst on an exposed cliff top camp site. Lots of swimming, exploring, walking and Cornish pasties. I especially loved the tin mines, both the ruins on the coast and the museums near Botallack.
I'm now busy doing the mammoth laundry before Greenbelt on Friday.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Splutter splutter I have had a tickly cough for days. I suspect the City of Lights is once again under an alarming level of pollution. It’s not as bad as it was a while back (I think it was in June that they made all the public transport free for three days to get people out of their cars) but when you look down the street, the view is definitely a bit fuzzy.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Heavenly Anarchist:
... doing the mammoth laundry before
Greenbelt ...

I've never been to Greenbelt, but my (admittedly limited) understanding of such events is that, given the nature of the terrain, you might as well leave your laundry until you get back. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Smile] we had a very muddy year a few years ago but it isn't usually too bad. It almost always breaks out in a shower during communion though.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Talking of rain, it was absolutely pi$$ing down here this morning - cascading down the hill and blowing back up. I decided that even though I was only going the few feet from home-car-w*rk a coat would be a good idea.

Due to a variant of Piglet's Umbrella Principle™, when I came out of w*rk four hours later it was sunny and 22°.

Expressions of gratitude may be made through the medium of GIN. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
No real rain here for nearly a week now which is great for getting the washing dry.

We had to have the plumber here the other day and he solved a little problem for us as well as mending what needed to be mended - we have had a problem for years will mildew forming on the vacuum tubes of the solar water heater - it needs fairly constant attention - "Aha", he said, "try getting half a bucket of water with a few drops of Harpic in it and clean them using that."

What a clever suggestion! and why didn't I think of that?

We have done it once and hopefully we will see good results in due time.

Herself and I have been at a housewarming most of the day - it was good fun and, guess what? Yup, I ate too much. We took what turned out to be a bizarre route to get there but found out on the way back that we could have done it so much more easily. We'll know next time.

I'm off away for the weekend with friends, probably to a national park so boots will be packed along with walking stick, etc.. Hopefully it will remain dry for us up there. Must take mozzie repellent as well as leeches don't like it - and I don't like leeches!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

- Posted      Profile for Starbug   Email Starbug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We're busy packing, ready for our annual pilgrimage to Liddypool tomorrow.

Lucy the hamster has also had her things packed, for dispatch to the hamster sitter later this evening. Due to her habit of biting everything in sight (including her cage), Mr Bug has suggested that, if the sitter's children decide they want to keep her, we shouldn't dissuade them! The prospect of nearly a week without having to entertain Madam every evening is very inviting.

As well as all the Beatle-ing, we've booked to do the Coronation Street tour, which I'm really looking forward to.

--------------------
“Oh the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?” ― The Day of the Doctor

Posts: 1189 | From: West of the New Forest | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If Lucy Hamster bites the sitter's children I suspect they'll be only too happy for you to reclaim her on your return. We used to have a hamster whom we all loved and when we hamster-sat a friend's recently I thought it would make me want one again. But said temporary resident was a biter and I was very glad to see the back of it. [Roll Eyes]

I sometimes think it would be nice to have a pet again but Mr Nen and I are newly Empty Nesters and it seems silly to tie ourselves in that way when we are now free to go out for days and away at weekends with only ourselves to think of.

In other news, the weather's been bright and fresh and all my washing has dried while I've been at work. [Smile]

Nen - about to cook curry for tea.

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm just back home from WorldCon, which was awesome and wonderful, and I've found my tribe again!
I did see Brenda Clough on an escalator, but by the time I'd thought to shout "Ship of Fools" at her, she'd disappeared up as I went down. I was dressed as Captain Marvel that day - there was another girl dressed as Captain Marvel, too, who came from Poland - we had our photo taken together.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh well, I will not be going to that National Park this weekend - friend got back to me with the cost and, after administration of CPR then smelling salts, I decided to decline his kind offer. No idea if we will do something else instead.

Today's paper is only 8 pages of broadsheet - and only articles and stuff - not an advert in sight! Doubtless tomorrow there will be an explanation but I have to say that I quite like it this way.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sorry to hear that, WW, I hope you have an enjoyable weekend nevertheless.

Lunch with a friend today, preceded by grocery shopping and domestics. Is it any wonder I'm procrastinating on the Ship? [Smile] [Roll Eyes]

Nen - eyeing the messy dining room with trepidation. [Eek!]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Thanks but it is no problem as there is loads to do here - perhaps this is the weekend when I will eventually get organised!!

[Eek!] [Roll Eyes] [Killing me]

Back to this housewarming yesterday - the husband owns a sawmill and is pretty skilled with wood. Most houses here have concrete or tile of marble or granite flooring, depending on personal wealth and utility - and they are all laid over concrete these days. Whilst the floors of the bedrooms and bathrooms and kitchen of this house were all tile the hall and reception rooms, stairs and landing had all been laid with teak and much of the other woodwork is mahogany - both grow locally so not nearly as expensive as it might be in Britain but still not exactly cheap. It is going to look pretty swish when completed.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Hell is defined as Himself and Herself being late back from shopping so that I am left entertaining two hyperactive 10 years olds and a 7/8 year old that arriving early for tuition - lovely kids but...

--------------------

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

Give them food, that always works with mine.

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Eigon:
I'm just back home from WorldCon, which was awesome and wonderful, and I've found my tribe again!
I did see Brenda Clough on an escalator, but by the time I'd thought to shout "Ship of Fools" at her, she'd disappeared up as I went down. I was dressed as Captain Marvel that day - there was another girl dressed as Captain Marvel, too, who came from Poland - we had our photo taken together.

You bet me to it, Eigon. WorldCon was excellent. Tribe is exactly the right word.

I didn't see any Captain Marvels, but I did see a brace of Bryan Talbot badgers, but only in the distance. Was that you? I think I saw Brenda Clough too, but had delayed recognition. My only identification was a Warren Ellis T-shirt. Maybe we should all have been carrying red roses or something. [Smile]

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Heavenly Anarchist:
Give them food, that always works with mine.

He did. I have not consulted with him before I posted. I just know

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Pete, for once you are as wrong as a wrong thing but had I known where the biscuits were it might have been a different matter. Young master P, aged 10, showed me how he is now big enough to stand on the ramp railings - one foot on each rail!

A performance of Theyyam at the temple tonight so quite a lot of nice photies - sadly it started to rain about halfway through and though the dancers were covered the audience weren't and I didn't fancy a wet camera so came away a little early.

--------------------

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, ArachnidinElmet - the badgers were me and my Young Man. We got Hall Costume Awards! I'm so proud! Even better, Bryan Talbot himself took our photo, and we had a little chat with him!
We also dressed as UNIT scientists on the first day, and Green Arrow and Green Lantern on the fourth.
But the costumes were just a bit of fun - the really good stuff was getting into a Kaffeeklatch with Kim Stanley Robinson, and the lecture by the Astronomer Royal, and the German lady doing a talk on historic textiles, and chatting to the chap who had translated the German SF short story into English which one of the German groups was giving out free, and the concert, and the masquerade and the Hugo awards....

--------------------

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Don't know quite where to put this but I feel the need to share... the person belongs in hell (the Ship version, I mean), but at this point I have some rather entertaining schadenfreude (I think) on her account.

Until recently I was working for a lawyer who was very nasty to me and made my life rather unpleasant for quite some time. I wasn't the only person she was pissed off about - she basically had a vendetta against all the HR and half the firm - and after making a lot of trouble for a lot of people, she finally left about two months ago.

Today someone called her old number and it rang through to me. I pick up, "[Law firm] good afternoon", and a lady asks for her. I say she doesn't work here any more. Bit of a silence on the other end. It was her mother.

I don't know why I feel so gleeful about this, but there's something deeply satisfying about it.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Ah, schadenfreude over ice. Delicious. [Big Grin] Can't help feeling a bit sorry for the mother though - I mean, she presumably still loves her ...

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Really cool moment just now as I was cycling to the couriers to collect something - my shadow was directly below me!

From now until April the sun will do round to the south again. It is a bit confusing that when you get on a bus here you have to work out which month it is, as well as the time of day, so you can work out where is best for shade.

--------------------

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Eigon:
Yes, ArachnidinElmet - the badgers were me and my Young Man. We got Hall Costume Awards! I'm so proud! Even better, Bryan Talbot himself took our photo, and we had a little chat with him! ....

Ooh, congratulations. Stiff competition for those awards: I saw a fully suited cyberman striding down the halls at one point!

One thing at the conference made me think of the Ship. I saw a couple with a diabetic alert dog, a jack russell at the orchestral concert. I wonder how they train them? It didn't seen overly bothered by the loud brass or the live theremin.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

As I type this there's a bunch of (I suspect) not entirely sober people standing outside the house singing Stand by Me very loudly.

There's rarely a dull moment in the environs of the Piglet Residence. Oh well, as long as they're enjoying themselves ... [Big Grin]

Since coming home from w*rk I've done bugger-all except made some chicken stock, which will be turned into soup tomorrow.

We're sort of in "strategic eating" mode at the moment, prior to going on holiday - clearing out anything that we don't want to find lurking in the fridge when we get back, so I'm going to make pancetta pasta for tomorrow's lunch. [Eek!]

Strategic laundry will commence later in the week.

--------------------

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

I saw the Jack Russell diabetic alert dog, too - and I was very impressed with the way the Con was organised for people in mobility scooters and with other disabilities generally.

--------------------

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Today I saw Mary Berry (her off that GBBO) at our local food festival. When I say I saw her, I don't mean I heard her presentation, just saw her having a breather outside the tent. Food Festival was good, though quite a lot of it over-priced. Three Indian meals to put in your freezer for £12 - good value? 'Just add meat and veg' - er, maybe not such good value then.

Hoping to try the 'Pie and Ale Trail' later on in the weekend, but I have already had a Beef and Chilli Pirok, and there's a Duck Pie sitting in the fridge for tea tomorrow. I met a friend today who was a bit dismissive of the Trail idea. 'After all, how many pies can you eat in a day?" he asked. Well - I just think it would be fun to find out.

[ 23. August 2014, 19:58: Message edited by: QLib ]

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by QLib:
... how many pies can you eat in a day? ...

Depends on what size they are I suppose. [Big Grin]

The idea of a diabetic alert dog amused D. and me no end: we have a friend who has type 2 diabetes but doesn't let is stop him enjoying (rather a lot of) food. He quite often defers to his wife as to whether he ought to have a cake or a chocolate or whatever, and we can imagine the scenario if he had one of the alert dogs:

Friend: "Should I have a piece of cake, sweetie?"

Diabetic Dog: "WOOF!!!!" [Killing me]

--------------------

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

I was at the Food Fair yesterday, too - I thoroughly enjoyed myself, especially as I hadn't realised it was on, so it was an added bonus to the trip into Hereford.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

We did some thoroughly magic music today: Byrd 4-part mass and Ave verum in the morning, and Tallis in the Dorian Mode and If ye love me at Evensong. Tudor music rocks.

It put me in just the right mood (i.e. a good one) to make some soup for tomorrow's lunch, which should be ready for virtual tasting when you read this.

contented piglet [Smile]

--------------------

Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, here we are - a Bank Holiday, end of August, and guess what - its pouring with rain and strong winds threatened! [Frown]

Still, I've lived through many Bank Holidays in my life, and most of them perform badly. They should choose other dates! [Biased]

Its very cold here - I'll have some of that soup, piglet, to strengthen me before I brave the icy blasts and take the dog out. [Big Grin] (I did make some rather nice seeded wholemeal bread yesterday - that would go very nicely with it - all welcome!)

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's rather temperate here: sunny, a little breezy.

In a moment of two I will snap on the marigolds and resume The War. Then I will make a push to finish the ever-more-horseblankety haori I have been crocheting for the past couple of months.

For lunch I will have - from the little I can make out from the packet - Korean beef and seaweed soup.

At some point I will hang the wash that currently squooshing away.

Then I think it will be chilli con sausages for dinner.

Best get on then before the excitement becomes too much.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Taliesin
Shipmate
# 14017

- Posted      Profile for Taliesin   Email Taliesin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Dark and wet, but not cold.

But I'm happy, because my stepdaughter has been published on the front page of a newspaper for her response to the crisis in Gaza.

I can't link to the pic of her on the front page, but here is a link to the article. I don't know what countries the national is sold in... not here, sadly.

Kerry Beall, artist.

Posts: 2138 | From: South, UK | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
It's rather temperate here: sunny, a little breezy.

Yeah, but also not a Bank Holiday.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Taliesin, Kerry is a brilliant artist! I went to your link, and there was her painting!

You must be very proud, and rightly so! [Overused]

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wow, what a picture, and what a gift to have, to be able to paint that way.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Your stepdaughter is amazingly talented!
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Taliesin
Shipmate
# 14017

- Posted      Profile for Taliesin   Email Taliesin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
thank you kindly, I shall pass your comments on.

If you do facebook, you might like to see the other pics, and follow the campaign. [Yipee]

beyond words

Posts: 2138 | From: South, UK | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

I am *cross* with the representatives of Her Majesty’s Government.

Let it be known that the Consulate of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is carrying out daylight robbery.

Any foreign national who wants to get married in France requires a thing called a Certificate of Custom Law. Basically it’s a short document from your own consular authorities that states that your own country considers that you are free to get married (in particular the age of majority can vary between different states), that it will consider the French marriage to be legally valid if you return to your home country, and also any consequences that marrying a French person might have on your citizenship status (none in the case of a British person).

While researching the exact paperwork required, I found some very useful information on the website of the Canadian embassy. I also discovered that the Canadians charge their citizens 35€ for a Certificate of Custom Law. So why in the name of all that is holy does the Consulate of Great Britain charge a whopping great EIGHTY-FIVE EUROS for the same thing??? It’s one bloody sheet of paper!

Thieves. [Mad]

--------------------

Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

We need the money. [Help]
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Here it costs seventy five quid AND you cannot get it by post but have to travel to the appropriate consulate, in my case Chennai right the way over on the other coast, to collect it in person so you have to add on overnight train fares both ways plus the cost of an hotel room!

I loathe and detest Chennai, it is a vile place, but needs must when the devil, or the Her Majesty's Government, whichever comes first, drives.

This morning I bought a guidebook online from the UK - Lonely Planet are okay but Footprint Guides are da bomb! Said guidebook was installed on this machine within minutes and this afternoon I added a copy to my notebooky laptoppy thing - and all for less than the cost of a hard copy and a lot less weight, too - just a few extra electrons somewhere.

Super!

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

The other coast? But India's huge! [Eek!]

It makes going to Saint Pierre for immigration purposes seem like a walk in the park.

A very nice walk in the park too, with wonderful food ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

14 hours by overnight train - it is quite a journey.

Himself has made an appointment for me for tomorrow at the eye hospital - it is over two years since my eye operation and my new specs so it is time and I'd really like a pair of specs that can accommodate my mid-range from 50cms [18-20 inches] to about 1.5 metres - after that my usual distance specs are fine. As it is I read and work on the computer without specs but this often requires getting a bit too close to things.

--------------------

St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sounds like time for new specs, WW!
Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I think I may have finally parted company with my marbles - my niece (may the fleas of a thousand camels infest her armpits) nominated me for the Ice-bucket Challenge to raise money for Macmillan cancer care, in memory of her dad, my late brother-in-law.

In order to be able to face the family (who have all taken the challenge) next week I too abandoned sanity and, with the help of one of the girls in the choir and the student who's working in the Cathedral office for the summer, allowed myself to be drenched in icy water.

It could have been a lot worse: it was a beautiful, sunny day and the temperature was about 24°, so it was almost more like a refreshing shower ... [Big Grin]

Anyone else on here done it?

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:

Have you tried Radio 4Extra, on DAB or t'interweb? Old/repeats of series, comedies and plays.

I am listening to a police procedural on 4 extra even as we speak....

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Cloudy here, but fine [Smile]

We have a Guide Dog pup called Jude coming at 10:39 for a puppy play date - let the mayhem begin!

My camera is charged.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
I think I may have finally parted company with my marbles - my niece (may the fleas of a thousand camels infest her armpits) nominated me for the Ice-bucket Challenge to raise money for Macmillan cancer care, in memory of her dad, my late brother-in-law.

In order to be able to face the family (who have all taken the challenge) next week I too abandoned sanity and, with the help of one of the girls in the choir and the student who's working in the Cathedral office for the summer, allowed myself to be drenched in icy water.

It could have been a lot worse: it was a beautiful, sunny day and the temperature was about 24°, so it was almost more like a refreshing shower ... [Big Grin]

Anyone else on here done it?

How kind of you to ask.

The answer is NO!

Should anyone nominate me they will, perhaps surprisingly, get the same answer.

Back from hospital with a screaming headache having had all sorts of lights shone in my eyes and having learnt the eye charts off by heart. Saw the surgeon and told her what a good job she had done and she eventually happily prescribed me the specs I wanted but, being a complex prescription, they will take about 2 weeks to materialise. Choosing the frames was fun as, apparently, over here round specs are for ladies and men have square specs - who knew? Anyway found a nice butch ladies frame at a reasonable price - possibly not quite as nice as the pure titanium frame they showed me but at a considerably lower price!

Now I'm off for a lie down.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:

Well done piglet!

Very brave.

I'm thoroughly enjoying watching all these drenchings - and I'm amazed how well peer pressure is spreading it to people who I'd never have expected to join in. I watched all my neighbours do it yesterday great fun!

Ever the one to be different, I have told everyone that I will NOT do it, however many times I'm nominated. I have donated and that's that.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My god-daughter nominated me. I got sweet revenge by dressing in a way I knew she would find embarrasing - bright pink tights, red swimsuit and a purple min-skirt, with my hair in orange hairbands. And then I included a photo of the text donation on my ten year old mobile phone - a phone she also finds embarrassing. [Two face]
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  32  33  34  35  36  37  38  ...  52  53  54 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016