homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Various Islands in the North Atlantic (Page 19)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  ...  58  59  60 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Various Islands in the North Atlantic
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's been grey here today too but the sun is just breaking out so I might pop into the garden to do some weeding. Yesterday we finished removing the back hedge so now we have a clear space for a new fence to separate us from the open fields/soon to be housing estate. We need to remove some brambles from the side of the garden still. Our garden is 100 foot long and this end is quite neglected so we are planning a complete clearance of it and then perhaps some landscaping to create an outdoor seating area for entertaining.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just back from my lovely weekend with my Quaker friends, several pounds heavier due to the amount of cake. Much walking, catching up and laughter.
I asked them about a colelctive noun for the Society of Friends and they liekd the idea of a Consideration.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There was less stir fry sauce left from last night than I realised. I remedied this by adding copious amounts of red wine.

Nen - ever resourceful.

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's been chilly but sunny here in Boogie Wonderland.

Gypsy came to Church and slept through the whole service. The band consisted of piano, sax, cornet, clarinet and two flutes. The music was loud and lively - so I reckon she did really well.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
moonfruit
Shipmate
# 15818

- Posted      Profile for moonfruit   Email moonfruit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Nen, that sounds like a fabulous idea!

I'm just finishing off the last of the prep for school this week, before a quick tea and an early night. I seem to be becoming a fan of early nights - at least it means waking up at stupid o'clock with nightmares is less of an issue!

--------------------
All I know is that you came and made beauty from my mess.

Posts: 180 | From: Just outside the M25 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We finally got round to spending a gift voucher we got at Christmas for a local Greek eaterie at lunch-time today, and very nice it was too. D. had a pita stuffed with lamb, tomatoes and tzatziki with lemon roast potatoes and I had a chicken souvlaki platter with pita and Greek salad and we shared them between us.

With the utterly yummy soft garlic bread-sticks they give you to start and including a big glass of wine for me, the bill only came to $46 (about £25), so even without the gift-card it would have been very good value.

well and cheaply-fed piglet [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That sounds lovely, piglet. I haven't had greek food for ages, we used to eat it regularly when we lived in London. There's a good Turkish restaurant here called Efes, perhaps we should revisit there. (that reminds me, there's some North African restaurants in the Mill Road area of town that we haven't visited for ages, similar style of food)
Monday is my peaceful day, I have a 90 minute Iyengar yoga class followed by coffee with the ladies and a leisurely afternoon of sewing.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And thinking of Greek places in your neck of the woods, I was very sad to hear, belatedly,that the dear old Eraina had closed and been replaced by some bloody trendy barbecue joint.
A tragedy- many happy memories of that place.

[ 20. April 2015, 14:32: Message edited by: Albertus ]

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
And thinking of Greek places in your neck of the woods, I was very sad to hear, belatedly,that the dear old Eraina had closed and been replaced by some bloody trendy barbecue joint.
A tragedy- many happy memories of that place.

Just looked it up, seemed like a lovely place. It appears the owner's mother was unwell so she returned to Greece to care for her. But yes, good old places are generally replaced with 'modern' faddy eateries.
I don't know enough about Cambridge restaurants, my other half went to Oxford and we moved here just before having the children so I never got the chance to explore (dh knows far more through work lunching). Now our boys are growing up I like to make the most of having the freedom of relaxed good eating. Any recommendations?

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm a bit worried about a lad in our village, over the weekend he has taken to wearing what is possibly a demonic symbol about his neck and there he was with a secondary neck chain from which hangs either a stainless steel or a chromium plated silhouette of, wait for it!, a penguin!

The question on which I seek guidance is how soon I should call in a priest [or a Methodist Minister?] to perform an exorcism?

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Be careful with penguins - they have teeth all the way down - not to be exorcised lightly!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'll send the priest in first.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think he shows great taste - penguins are cute. [Smile]

I'm at w*rk trying to avoid tackling the contents of a filing cabinet that's bigger than I am ( [Eek!] ) - I've been told I'm moving offices either today or tomorrow, but as they haven't told me exactly where I'm going I'm not sure what they expect me to do about it.

[Confused]

[ 21. April 2015, 14:23: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Relocating to Ulan Bator can be such a drag, can't it? When's the flight?

[Two face]

Village wedding function today - the actual marriage bit takes a few minutes then the photos take hours! The one blessing of weddings here is no speeches!! It really is loads better without them. There were bits of harmless silliness from the groom's friends but he just grinned his way through the whole thing. For once we had a non-anxious groom but then he and the bride have known one another almost all their lives and have been unofficially engaged for years.

The groom's mother is very involved politically and was a local councillor [or equivalent] until just a few years ago so loads of political guests and the groom works for a large company so lots of colleague guests so I managed to get a seat for the fifth sitting for lunch [about 200 people per sitting] and there were loads still waiting when I left!

Next I must concentrate on my next visa extension so off to the studio in the village tomorrow for a new photo then apply online.

It's all go!

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Five sittings at 200 people a pop? [Eek!] Who's doing the catering - the United Nations?

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

The catering is done in very large pans and everybody gets the same basic vegetarian meal. It's a great arrangement as everyone that turns up gets fed. The serving is done my friends and neighbours taking it in turns - a great way of people on one side getting to meet people on the other side - today that didn't matter as the couple families live within a kilometre or so. Even the kids get to serve the water or the salt or something.

--------------------

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

An Indian veggie feast, how scrumptious! [Smile]
Salmon and cheese risotto here today, we seem to have run out of vegetables and I've been too busy to shop so store cupboard food.

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

moonfruit
Shipmate
# 15818

- Posted      Profile for moonfruit   Email moonfruit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've been trying to think of something to say that's not a rant about work, and I'm failing miserably, so I'll leave it at this:

I am very grateful for the beautiful sunshine these past few days. It puts a spring in my step.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

They've found an office for me that's just along the corridor from where the files will be, and only one floor away from my boss, so it looks pretty good to me.

Should be moving tomorrow ... [Help]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Off to the allotment, for once not bothering to change into gardening shoes before entering the area, in haste to get there, do the watering and depart. Lo and behold, the path was almost completely blocked by a huge mound of cowpats, about 4' high. While I was standing marvelling at this, a man with a barrow emerged from behind it to say he'd had 15 tons of cow manure delivered that morning and he'd spent all day sorting it out between a few allotment holders who were splitting the cost.

He then got back to shovelling it into his barrow and trundling off, leaving me to sidle round gingerly in my work shoes. What the original 15 tons of cowpats must have looked like I can't imagine. He was still at it when I left.

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
At least a more useful load of shit than one usually encounters.

I'm trying to give the garden a couple of hours a day - sufficient to make progress but not so much as to increase the quotidian aches and pains past tolerable. Mostly it's been weeding and tidying - the heavy labour of getting in the spuds currently chitting in the hall remains.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
At least a more useful load of shit than one usually encounters.

Indeed. Yesterday I took the Elf Lass to the baby change room in our local Waitrose only to find a giant (adult - at least I hope it was adult, I'd be worried if a baby had done it) turd on the floor. I know it's a room where you expect to deal with a bit of shit, but I could have done without seeing that.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh Gods, I remember when I was doing hospital portering between jobs, and a dear little white haired rosy cheeked old lady waved a washing-up bowl at me containing the biggest turd I swear I've ever seen outside not just academia but also the rhino house at the zoo... crimping that one off must surely have defied the laws of physics,

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

That is all so much more information than I could possibly need or want ... [Eek!]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Several hours of solid rain last night has shown me that I really need to get up and clean the guttering at the front of the house - it's a job I don't really enjoy but I'm the only one tall enough to do it - and then I'm standing on an eight foot stepladder! Not sure if I'll have time today as I am a bit busy but I'll have to find the time somewhere this week - I hope it doesn't come down to missing a nap!

--------------------

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
Oh Gods, I remember when I was doing hospital portering between jobs, and a dear little white haired rosy cheeked old lady waved a washing-up bowl at me containing the biggest turd I swear I've ever seen outside not just academia but also the rhino house at the zoo... crimping that one off must surely have defied the laws of physics,

AG

I've heard one such old lady thank a care assistant for delivering her baby...

Off to the dentist in a few minutes then I'll take a leisurely walk back from Cambridge in the sunshine. I haven't got any work to do today so I'll do a spot of weeding then some study. I'm trying to put together an essay about assessing the impact of telephone support in empowering new students from non-academic backgrounds in distance learning. I'm enjoying this part of the module as I'm free to choose my topic and this at least is something I feel passionately about.

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Last time I was in a hospital waiting to speak to a consultant, a nurse rushed up to another visitor with a bowl of vomit, thrust it under his nose and explained in detail and at length what his wife (one of the patients) had just thrown up and why. He didn't seem terribly keen on examining it with her.

(Sorry Piglet.)

Debating whether or not to go to the theatre tonight. I haven't been for about 20 years, there's a production of something interesting locally, good seats available, reasonable price. The only thing is I've been out two evenings this week already, will be out at least one more, and feeling tired already. Not sure if I want to be getting home after 10 pm when I need to be up at the crack of dawn for the morning commute. Decisions, decisions.

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
New art class today - concentrating on drawing. So far I have learnt that you should hold the pencil like this (against the side of the first finger with the thumb) and not like that (against the middle finger with the thumb and first), and that you draw with the side of the lead, not the tip.
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Several hours of solid rain last night has shown me that I really need to get up and clean the guttering at the front of the house - it's a job I don't really enjoy but I'm the only one tall enough to do it - and then I'm standing on an eight foot stepladder!

Last year I had new gutters installed that are almost clog-proof. If they do get clogged, I am supposed to call the company and they will come clean them for free. So far, there have been no signs of clogging, even in the gutters which are under a large maple tree.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
... solid rain ...

Around these parts that's usually called snow. [Big Grin]

Mind how you go on that ladder ... [Eek!]

I'm now apparently moving in the morning to the office originally allocated (my boss changed her mind again* [Roll Eyes] ), so I'd better try and have a semblance of an early night so that I'm almost fit for the task. I've been nursing a bit of a headache off an on all day today and am very much hoping that it'll bugger off before tomorrow.

* She's lovely to work for, but decisiveness isn't one of her strong points.

--------------------

Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Last year I had new gutters installed that are almost clog-proof. If they do get clogged, I am supposed to call the company and they will come clean them for free. So far, there have been no signs of clogging, even in the gutters which are under a large maple tree
Where do the leaves go then, Moo?? And how?? [Confused]
Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
She's lovely to work for, but decisiveness isn't one of her strong points.

Are you quite sure about that? Is that your final conclusion? [Devil]
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nicodemia:
Where do the leaves go then, Moo?? And how?? [Confused]

They stay on top of the gutter, and are eventually blown away like the leaves on the roof. There is a cover which allows the water to enter the gutter, but doesn't let anything else in. Here is the website of the company that makes it.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
moonfruit
Shipmate
# 15818

Made it to Thursday [Smile] Which means tomorrow is Friday, which means I treat myself to a coffee and pastry from Pret on my way to work. It's the little things...

I also have the dog this weekend - since me and my ex split up, we have something that can best be described as 'joint custody' of 'our' dog. So I have the dog every third weekend, Thursday to Tuesday. It's weird, but it kind of works. And it's nice to have a canine companion round the house for a few days.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

The main components of my office (except me [Big Grin] ) were moved this morning (hence my absence from the teapot), and with any luck I should finish loading up the last of the files on Friday and transporting them to where they're going to be.

I feel as if I'm only just going into the woods, let alone being out of them ... [Eek!]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

A visit to the Eye Hospital this morning - more trouble with the optical shop staff than the doctors, etc. - if I say I think those frames are too fancy and I wouldn't wear them I mean those frames are too fancy and I wouldn't wear them! Don't keep trying to sell them to me, I don't like them!

Anyway have ordered nice new frames, that I do like and will wear, to go with the new lenses - less dioptre power but more prisms. We'll see how it goes.

Then on to the visa extension folks to check on their requirements for this weekend's submission.

Now I am going to lie down and finish my book then I may indulge in a little nap!

--------------------

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

I spent the morning doing housework and baking - 4 baguettes (2 white and 2 rustic) and some chocolate brownies. We're off to a Sherlock convention tomorrow and I like to pack food so we don't pay extortionate amounts there.

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Went to a lunchtime art class yesterday and learnt about perspective, proportions and the vanishing point, while sketching some little building blocks and their shadows. Next month we get to try sketching crushed paper. That'll be a challenge.

After work as it was a warm, beautiful afternoon, I went off to Christ Church Meadows where an inquisitive squirrel tried to climb up my leg! We settled for going for a walk together along the river bank, the squirrel bounding along beside me, stopping to pose for photos in classic squirrel poses in a quite shameless sort of way.

Went to a plant sale at lunchtime today but almost all the good stuff had gone by the time I got there. Probably just as well as it stopped me spending - I may be an impulse buyer but it would be a sad thing to impulsively splurge out on cauliflower plants.

moonfruit
Shipmate
# 15818

There was a rather dodgy smell in church last Sunday, which a few people complained to me about. Having spoken to the vicar this evening, it turns out that the culprit was a dead squirrel on top of the screen. He finally located it on Wednesday, and removed it (maggots and all). Rather him than me...

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Poor squirrel. [Frown]

I'm almost in my new office; I spent most of today putting files away in order to create a bit of floor-space. I've still to get the computer hooked up (I'm not sure if I need to get someone from the geekery to do it for me), but a few more trips with a trolley and I'll be almost there.

It is very draining though - I was like a wet rag when D. picked me up this afternoon ... [Snore]

--------------------

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I love Ariel's squirrel story! [Smile] Not quite so keen on moonfruit's... [Frown]

I was on a guided retreat day with a friend yesterday and for something supposed to be restorative we both came away exhausted. It was neither one thing nor the other really - a bit too much guidance to give enough time to oneself but not enough guidance to frame or shape the times alone. Although there were only four of us on the course the other two were real chatterboxes - we ended up edging our way about trying to avoid them. [Hot and Hormonal] It was at a retreat place that I love going to, but it's quite a long journey there and back just for one day so I've learnt my lesson and wouldn't try to do that again.

We've had some much-needed rain overnight so I'm glad I mowed the lawns on Thursday - I can almost hear the grass sucking it up. [Big Grin]

I've got a long list of things to achieve today including preparing for leading home group on Monday evening. We're a new group and still getting to know each other so I'm a bit [Eek!] . I'm planning to do something meditative which I think will be out of the norm for some of them and I don't want to push things too far. Having my Gregorian chants as introductory music will be pushing things too far... [Roll Eyes]

I also need to go shopping and do some housework.

Nen - may need a nap at some point. [Snore]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

moonfruit
Shipmate
# 15818

Well done for getting the lawns mowed, Nen - I was going to do mine today, having been putting it off all week, only to find that it's rained overnight. Bah.

Time to get moving, and walk the dog, who is currently devouring a bowl of food as if she hasn't been fed for a month.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

The fine spell broke late yesterday as forecast: but in an heroic effort I got enough ground dug - my dears! the couch grass! - to plant some earlies. Plus we got the lawn feed down and hoping that will tip the predominant grass colour from yellow to green.
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Fun morning in Stratford on Avon at Shakespeare's Birthday Celebrations. I was in two minds about going, but glad I did. It always seems to be a cheerful, friendly occasion with lots of music in the air. The parade was fun as always, people humming along to the catchy tunes from the brass bands, everybody in the procession carrying flowers to deck Shakespeare's grave, lots of people in Tudor costume.

Afterwards I went up the RSC Tower, which was offering free entry. Last time I got vertigo and had to come back down again, but today the lift doors opened on to a very pretty view of the river, bridge and greenery out to the gentle rolling hills of the countryside. You get a 360° view which is worth seeing.

Back on the ground there were free cupcakes, and the riverside entertainment was getting under way. Sadly the sky looked so ominous that I left at that point, but it had been just an all-round nice morning.

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Fun morning in Stratford on Avon at Shakespeare's Birthday Celebrations...

I am soooo jealous! But I'm glad you had such a wonderful time. Someone named "Ariel" deserves to have a good day on Shakespeare's Birthday.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

That does sound like fun - I hope the music was appropriate. [Big Grin]

Not quite convinced about the cup-cakes though - wouldn't bannock bread and frumenty (whatever that is) have been more apt?

It looks as if spring may be beginning to happen here - it's been very foggy, which is usually a harbinger of spring. Mind you, according to the weather forecast, it's just being a harbinger of rain, of which we're being promised about three inches next week ... [Eek!]

--------------------

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

I have eaten frumenty several times when being a Tudor, it is a wheat based sweet pudding, like rice pudding, served alongside your pottage. And if you've been eating pottage for lunch for several days it is a very welcome diversion indeed.
We also eat cheesy farts and sweet farts with our pottage [Smile]

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I really need an explanation for that ... [Big Grin]

Talking of pottage, I took a fit of goddessishness this evening and there's a pot of bacon, lentil and tomato soup doing its thing on the stove. Should be available for tasting soon.

--------------------

moonfruit
Shipmate
# 15818

Ooh, Piglet, save me a bowl! That sounds delicious.

Grey and gloomy here this morning, still managed to coax the dog out for a walk though. Church next, then finishing off school work this afternoon.

--------------------

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
I really need an explanation for that ... [Big Grin]

Farts are just fritter type things, presumably where we get the word tarts from. Amusing when you tell visiting children what you are eating though, as we eat in public when re-enacting.
Most of us don't eat meat when we are Tudors as we are too poor but my husband's group in the woods decided to club together and buy some pigeons from the supermarket to spice up their diet. We do consume ale though to compensate (I worked in the dairy last year and we had an exchange programme going on between us, the bake house and the brew house.

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  ...  58  59  60 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016