homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Various Islands in the North Atlantic (Page 40)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  37  38  39  40  41  42  43  ...  58  59  60 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Various Islands in the North Atlantic
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Brilliant weather here today - shame that I had a wedding right in the middle of the day.

First up - the bride was late (20 minutes) but at least she was decently dressed and appeared to be without tattoos. The bridesmaids were all of sensible age and followed the bride and her father into church decorously.

And the congregation actually sang! Somewhat tentative at first but they joined in the hymns - first time we've had that at a wedding for a while.

A nice couple who've been coming to church regularly for the past 9 months, fingers crossed they continue to attend now they've tied the knot.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Why do expenses always arrive together?

We always knew this was going to be an expensive little time but then yesterday the battery on the jeep packed up - it had every right as it is over 5 years old!

Then last night and this morning it is obvious that my phone battery is on its last legs.

Neither is a crippling expense but on top of the other stuff scheduled in and that can't be delayed it is just a pain.

Right, that is my little whinge of the day over with so now I suppose I need to get out the vacuum cleaner and make a stab at domestic respectability - very out of character!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Don't do that - the motor will clearly burn out in sympathy!
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Nice relaxing afternoon yesterday at a country village's summer show. All the usual things - classic cars, dog show, equestrian events, and marquee with prize-winning homemade cakes, wines, produce etc. They also had snake handling, which seemed to appeal more to small girls than small boys, African drumming, a gin cocktail stall (there's a local distillery nearby), and an escapologist.

It was a good-humoured occasion on a hot sunny afternoon and plenty of bales of straw to sit on and watch events if you wanted. The summer food theme continues today, if not the hot sunny weather, with a food festival which I shall have a look at later. It's usually pretty good.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wise advice, BT, which I took in anticipation of you making it, I had a lie down instead - but tomorrow we have to hire a powerful jetwash thingy as Himself has just had a rather nasty slip on the wheelchair ramp so it clearly requires a thorough seeing to.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Done masses of gardening these last three days - and my back is still complaining! I have masses of Alchemilla which seeds itself vigorously all over the place if I don't cut it down before it gets to that stage! Thought I'd done it all and then found a big clump laughing at me! To say nothing of the weeds which had been shooting up behind other things!

I fully intend relaxing today! Not likely to go anywhere, as Mr.N is hobbling around with a very painful hip/leg. Finally had an X-ray, now just awaiting results. If he has to have a hip replacement, he is going to be a dreadful patient!! I'm hoping physiotherapy will be the answer. [Help]

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I took our little crocodile (puppy!) to an afternoon tea garden party fundraiser thingie yesterday. She couldn't be put down as they get foxes in the garden and she hasn't had all her inoculations yet. She weighs nine kilos now. It was quite interesting juggling wriggly puppy, plates and tea cup. But the sandwiches, scones and cakes were scrumptious!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
moonfruit
Shipmate
# 15818

- Posted      Profile for moonfruit   Email moonfruit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ariel, anywhere with a gin cocktail stall gets my vote!

I've been enjoying the sunshine for the past couple of days - mostly sitting in the garden, working (honest!) on my current essay. It's pretty much done, I now just need to read it through and be sure it makes sense, then send it off in the morning.

--------------------
All I know is that you came and made beauty from my mess.

Posts: 180 | From: Just outside the M25 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm finally back on board - I fell at home on Monday and ended up being taken to hospital by ambulances on Tuesday as I couldn't weight bear. I've been strapped up from thigh to ankle with "industrial grade" tubigrip and am having to sleep downstairs and use a commode. I've got an iPad but couldn't remember my user name. I've just found how to recover it, so I'm away again
I've be em getting cabin fever but Darllenwr managed to get me into the car yesterday and we went out - bliss!

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

- Posted      Profile for Chocoholic     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ouch, wishing you a speedy recovery.

Adult colouring books seem all the rage, would one of those help the boredom?

Posts: 773 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ooh! St.G that sounds nasty! Do hope you recover soon and can get upstairs to the bathroom - vitally important in my reckoning! [Votive]
Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:
I'm finally back on board - I fell at home on Monday and ended up being taken to hospital by ambulances on Tuesday as I couldn't weight bear.

Really sorry to hear this St G. I wish you a speedy and pain-free recovery!

Went to a food festival this morning, "just for a few minutes" and "probably not going to buy anything"... you can probably guess how that turned out!

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:
I'm finally back on board - I fell at home on Monday and ended up being taken to hospital by ambulances on Tuesday as I couldn't weight bear.

Really sorry to hear this St G. I wish you a speedy and pain-free recovery!

Went to a food festival this morning, "just for a few minutes" and "probably not going to buy anything"... you can probably guess how that turned out!

--------------------

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

Oops! Still getting used to using this machine.
Meant to say that I know what that's like. Just don't go to the new Gloucester Gate services, aka Gloucester Tebay.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Why do expenses always arrive together?

They're like buses - they come in threes.

We got the summer half of the rates bill the other week, we're replacing the lavatory in the top-floor bathroom and at some point quite soon we need to renew our Permanent Residence, and I've yet to pluck up the nerve and look on the web-site to see how much that's going to cost.

If it isn't one thing, it's another, eh? [Frown]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

St G, that sounds awful, wishing you a speedy recovery.

Piglet, next month I apply for my permanent residence thingy and I know exactly how much it is going to cost [Eek!]

But worth every penny considering it should last me the rest of my life - but, sadly, they won't let me pay it in instalments.

Have just mucked up my monthly transfer from my British bank to my Indian bank by blythely inputting the wrong account number - now I have to phone at 12.30 when the foreign desk opens and see if I can repair the damage.

The moral of this story is: however well you think you know the details still have the information page open on the computer before attempting anything - it helps to wait until fully awake as well!

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Bank phoned, very helpful people very helpful, they phoned me back an hour later to say they had found the error and dealt with it and that I should still get the money on time.

Gold stars to my bank!

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The trouble with "permanent" residence here is it only lasts five years; what part of "permanent" don't they understand? [Ultra confused]

We'd intended to go straight on to applying for citizenship, as when our PR came through, the "citizenship test" was waived if one partner was 60 or over (D. turns 60 in December). However, the Canadian government (and the immigration department in particular) being what it is, they've changed the ******* goal-posts again, and the waiver no longer applies ...

[Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Piglet - I am sure that the requirements are "Are you able to sing 'O Canada' in official languages? Do you intend to vote for HarperCons in the next election? Can you vocalise Stephen Harper's name without gagging?

If the answer to all questions is YES, then you're in.

Lie in your teeth if you have to.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
The trouble with "permanent" residence here is it only lasts five years; what part of "permanent" don't they understand? [Ultra confused]

It's probably the same kind of "permanent" as "permanent wave" (there's a term you don't often hear these days). Those never lasted very long either.

(I can remember the dismal afternoon when, full of teenage expectation and looking forward to finally having attractively wavy tresses, I happily permed my hair, waited the requisite length of time, undid the rollers - and found I was somehow stuck with completely straight flat hair for the next couple of months. Once you've had a perm there's nothing you can do except wait for it to wear off, and that includes using any colour on it either.)

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Changing of the rules got me last year/beginning of this when the other scheme for permanent residence [admittedly a rather weird anomaly] was abolished just after I had jumped through all the hoops but just before they issued the document - but they did give me my money back there and then which, for a Government Department [in any country], was pretty amazing.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Pete:
Piglet - I am sure that the requirements are "Are you able to sing 'O Canada' in official languages?

One of them anyway.
quote:
Do you intend to vote for HarperCons in the next election?
Still won't have a vote, so what I think matters not a jot.
quote:
Can you vocalise Stephen Harper's name without gagging?
I can't really say I've ever tried.

I get withdrawal symptoms after more than a few days without Timmy's™ though. Will that help? [Big Grin]

D's been having a look on the interweb and reckons the cost of PR card renewal isn't nearly as scary as I'd imagined - $$ rather than $$$.
quote:
... attractively wavy tresses ...

Being in possession of unattractively wavy tresses*, I don't actually understand that concept. [Confused]

* which can only be kept in check with regular application of straightening-irons

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Just an addendum to the PR application thing - the last question on the form is about trips outside of Canada; they want you to list all your absences from Canada over the last five years including holidays and trips to the USA, but they only give you four lines to do it.

[Confused]

What they want is to establish that you've not spent more than 1,095 days - three years - out of the country, which is fair enough, but if they want you to include your holidays, they really ought to give you enough space to do it. We've been over the Pond at least once a year, but only for a couple of weeks at a time, and I'm sure we're not any better-travelled than your average couple.

As D. pointed out, what if you lived near the border, and took trips over into the States? Or, here in Newfoundland, if we lived near where the ferry goes to Saint Pierre, we'd probably hop over there as often as we could afford it, even just a day-trip for a really good lunch, and that would mean going to France ... [Cool]

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I spent the weekend away with my daughter for her birthday (her choice) visiting the Youth Hostels on the Yorkshire coast.

Friday night was at Whitby, where the hostel is part of the Abbey buildings, all 199 steps up from the town and station. I walked those steps up, down and up again, carrying a fairly hefty backpack, admittedly with a few pauses for photographs on the way up the first time. We found some really good gluten free fish and chips down on the harbour front.

After exploring some of Whitby on Saturday we walked down the coast to Boggle Hole, just south of Robin Hood's Bay. Some was on the coast path, but we got bored of hauling us and the backpacks up and down stepped paths where the streams cut the cliffs. Those steps have been designed for gazelles; many of the jumps over knee high on me, which is easier if you're not carrying anything. Aiming for a more level route we swapped to the old railway line (National Cycle Network 1) at Hawkser which was mostly high and had brilliant views. Sadly we failed to avoid the 74 "steps" down to Boggle Hole for Saturday night.

Sunday we cheated and walked back up the beach to Robin Hood's Bay before taking the bus to Scarborough. My daughter then bussed out to Scalby Mill, the location of Scarborough YHA hostel, and I walked down to the harbour (additionally carting food for the next 24 hours), round to North Sands and along to Scalby Mill, We dumped the packs and went for a wander down the beach, a paddle and an ice cream (well, lollipop for my daughter), taking the pretty footpath back which included another set of steps designed for mountain goats.

Yesterday we walked back along North Sands, avoiding the steps down to the front, round the harbour and explored Scarborough. I also got over an hour's stopover at York, so wandered into the city for a bit. Wearing a backpack and walking the City Walls isn't a good combination. There was a slight asymmetry of journey times: my daughter's trip was just over an hour to get home, it took me over six hours.

We both reckon we've experienced Scarborough to our satisfaction but would love to go back to Whitby and/or Robin Hood's Bay.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

My memories of Scarborough are the Cricket Festival and some wonderful fish and chip places!

At the Cricket Festival one year in the late 1970s I saw the great Malcolm Marshall - amazing cricketer now sadly deceased.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My memory of Scarborough is of the URC General Assembly in July 2012. It rained and rained and rained ... it took us two days before we could even see the sea! And the seagulls were a real pain.

Having said that, we had an enjoyable holiday there with our small son, around 1988.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There was an amazing old boy at the hostel, he said he was 90, who was staying there after attending the cricket. The hostel is the right side of town for the cricket ground and had a wicket bat and ball as a sign high up to show where it was.

I did check for gluten free fish and chips in Scarborough before we went and couldn't find any. Gluten free was a fairly major issue finding food yesterday.

Chips are not gluten free unless they are fried separately from the batter or crumbed foods and so long as no-one thinks it's a good idea to flour the chips before deep frying them to give them an extra crispy coating. Gluten free chip shops run separate fryers for the chips and the ordinary battered fish. They fry gluten free batter in the chip fryer and are incredibly careful about cross-contamination. Additionally, most chip shop vinegars contain gluten (barley malt).

If restaurants aren't aware of the issues they can get it very badly wrong, so things that should be OK, like stuffed baked potatoes, can sneak in gluten in the stuffings.

Avoiding gluten is important if eating the stuff is going to make you ill for several days afterwards, as the gluten containing foods work through the system and then the inflammation of the gut subsides. Plus the damage it does to the gut in passing.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
... attractively wavy tresses ...

quote:
(from Piglet)
Being in possession of unattractively wavy tresses*, I don't actually understand that concept. [Confused]

* which can only be kept in check with regular application of straightening-irons

Ah. When I was growing up and all the way into teenage years, having straight flat hair was considered a disaster in an era when waves, curls and bounciness were the in-thing, and when hair was swept back off the forehead (hairbands, anyone?)

As a child I regularly had my hair curled by my mother (oh the fun of sleeping with curling clips in!), as a teenager I struggled with perms, rollers, clips, volumizing shampoos, plaiting my hair while wet, the lot, until crimping tongs came on the scene, by which time I was 20 something and after some fun with those, caved in and opted for easy maintenance with short hair instead.

(It's about time crimped hair made a comeback, surely?)

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Hair is one of those things you either fight forever or come to terms with. I've got naturally wavy/curly hair and tend to keep it short too (although I've been known to grow it out in winter when warm ears seems a good move). Absolutely fine when everyone else had bubble perms and curls, not so great when we hit that period of flat ironed hair. Dead straight hair means a lot of effort, which comes undone at the first hint of moisture or wind, so even more work keeping covered and dry. Life is too short. I'll live with being called "Miss with the mad hair".

--------------------

moonfruit
Shipmate
# 15818

- Posted      Profile for moonfruit   Email moonfruit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My hair is straight-ish, but if I want it to look smart and straight it needs a good going-over with the straightening irons. I experimented with plaiting it after washing it last week, to see if it would go all nice and wavy. In actual fact, I looked like Hermione Granger, and not in a good way! I'm kind of intrigued that as an adult my hair is now longer than it ever was as a child - most people tend to go the other way, I've found!

I had a nice day out with my dad today - we went to the Photographer's Gallery in London to see an exhibition of Shirley Baker's photos of Manchester and Salford in the 60s and 70s, during the slum clearances. A fascinating look at a period I know next to nothing about. Then we meandered over to the Lowlander near Covent Garden for some fine Belgian beer and lunch. The only problem with good beer is stopping!

--------------------
All I know is that you came and made beauty from my mess.

Posts: 180 | From: Just outside the M25 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My hair is dead straight, very long and totally boring. So if I'm going out I have a posh 'up do' to ring the changes.

I like it long as I can have it up high when it's hot to keep cool and down or loose when it's cold to keep warm. It rarely looks good 'tho [Roll Eyes] and fringe/no fringe is a constant question.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I had a fringe for years, basically because every time I tried to grow it out it got really annoying and I lost patience and trimmed it back. However, there came a day when I stuck with it and finally got rid of it. No plans to go back to it.

Beautiful evening here - the countryside was full of rich golden light tinting the sheep in the fields, and the evening sun caught the dust from a harvesting machine so that it looked as if the machine was trailing fiery smoke across the fields on the hillside. There was also a deer stepping gracefully over the stubble of the newly harvested field, eating fallen ears of grain, but inevitably it had disappeared by the time I got the camera out. Such is life.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I first discovered what a pain in the ar$e wavy hair is when page-boy haircuts came into fashion. I had one, but of course it never worked, as my hair would insist on curling out rather than in. I remember asking my mum (who had properly curly hair) why other people's page-boy cuts worked and mine didn't, and she said, "oh, it's because they've got straight hair", and I've been coveting straight hair ever since.

It does seem to me that most of the hairstyles that have been in fashion over my lifetime - page-boy cuts, bobs, Princess Diana cuts, even just plain long hair - have all been designed to work on straight hair. Even "afro" perms looked better if the original hair was straight, as they didn't come out so frizzy (I know - I tried one about 30-something years ago and it was not a success*).

* An acquaintance came up to me in the pub, patted my perm and said "hello woolly-head, did your mother knit that?" ... [Killing me]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Incredibly powerful noisy rain in the night - so noisy it kept me awake! This means I am cream-crackered this morning then I switched on this machine and I was out of bandwidth so I had to wait until the shop at the bottom of the road opened so I could go and buy some more.

As soon as I have finished this little lot I may well go back to bed even if I really should head into town for some photo printing. I'll see how active my conscience is when the time comes.

I keep my hair short these days, in the late '70s it was down to my shoulders [to go with the leather jacket, bike and helmet]. Now I go for a No 1 trim every month or two - so much easier!

--------------------

Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

Given up on trying to persuade my hair to go anyway but the way it wants! So now I have it cut short - sometimes just short, sometimes short-short, wash,comb and leave it.

But then I'm not too bothered about being fashionable! And at least my white hair is natural and not permed and rollered into the "old lady bouncy/pink scalp" style! [Biased]

Mind you, when I was younger, I spent ages pin curling my hair all round, then going to sleep with it still wet in the hopes the 'style' would be there in the morning. Quite often it was still damp and just dropped out!

But the funniest thing I did when I worked in London was to go as a model to one of the Piccadilly Hair dressers every two weeks, and come back with some startling styles! Blow drying hadn't been invented, and it was rollers and a hot hairdryer brought down over your head and a magazine provided while you waited for it to dry. I was always late back after my lunch 'hour' but one of the men I worked for covered my absence, bless him!

I find hair a lot easier these days! [Smile]

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My hair is dead straight and more suitable for a toddler than someone in their sixties. I tried various perms and curls in the 1970s and then went for a punk crop for a few years. Now it's shoulder length and just long enough for putting into a 'librarian bun' if need be. Worse thing anyone has ever said about my hair was my mohter (keen socialist) who told me my latest hairstyle made me look like Teresa May.
Weather here is damp, though not cold. Son and I had intended to go on a walk, but have chickened out in favour of sewing (him) and creative writing/knitting (me).

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Himself and Herself have spent the day at the IVF clinic and I've just had a message that Herself has been referred to the Diabetologist! Her mum is diabetic and most of Himself's family are diabetic. We may soon be a sugar-free family - apart from me! I'll be the only one eating ice cream!

[Big Grin]

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
PIGGY! You would have to sneak it in the house.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

None in stock at the moment and the hypermarket at the Mall sells sugar-free so Herself can have a little.

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nicodemia:
Given up on trying to persuade my hair to go anyway but the way it wants! So now I have it cut short - sometimes just short, sometimes short-short, wash,comb and leave it.

That sounds like my hair. When I was younger I used to have to fight off hairdressers who wanted to give me a perm so they could style my hair in the latest fashion.

My hair is not raw material; it is more than halfway towards being a finished product. My current hairdresser styles my hair according to its natural tendencies.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
How about starting a meet thread to gauge interest. Particularly if you are considering a food festival in September. That is almost upon us!

I've been off-line for a few days and have just seen this. Sorry, Lothlorien. That's a good idea, and I'll go and do it now.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Pete:
PIGGY!

You called? [Big Grin]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

The referral to the Diabetologist was simply because Herself's mother is diabetic - tests with fasting and after food tests on Friday so then we'll know. I have offered to keep all the biscuits and sweet things in my bedroom just to help her resist temptation but she didn't seem to trust me on that one.

I wonder why.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I cut my hair in April before going to England. I'm kind of growing it back now, I don't know for how long that will be. People who were at the Shipmeet can attest that I've got the "I've accepted my hair as it is" look down to a t [Smile]

(Best wishes for the diabetes situation)

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Every 4 or 5 weeks I am a model for a hair dressing apprentice. Each time I go she asks how I'd like it cut and each time I ask her what she needs practice with, so I don't need to make decisions in a sphere that means nothing to me. I'm always happy with the result - the apprentice is supervised by someone who does very well at international competitions, so I feel safe. All for under a tenner - very good value, I feel.
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

When I was a child, my mother used to take me to Raymond's in Cardiff (in David Morgans, quite posh) every month to terhave my hair cut quite short to encourage it to thicken. I always wanted long, black, straight hair instead of my mousy brown.
Ironically, now my hair has got straighter, I'd love a sort of pre.raphelite kink- I had a perm many years ago but it didn't really give the desired effect

marzipan
Shipmate
# 9442

- Posted      Profile for marzipan   Author's homepage   Email marzipan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I spent a while trying to get my hair to be straight when I was a student, these days I have just accepted that it will do what it likes (ie frizz into untameable waves) and it actually looks better when I let it do what it likes.
Occasionally I get my hair cut and I let them blow dry it straight and it stays straight for at least an hour if they do it properly (unless it's raining of course).
Best comment I've had about my hair - a uni friend on seeing a picture of me aged about 16 with my hair down when it was quite long - where did you get that scary wig?

--------------------
formerly cheesymarzipan.
Now containing 50% less cheese

Posts: 917 | From: nowhere in particular | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Lots of curly hair for me too and envious glances at friends with long thick, straight hair.

I know few people wh are satisfied with their hair, whether curly or straight.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

That's very true, Loth - whatever we have isn't what we want.

What we had this evening was a v. nice feed at Pi, a slightly left-field pizzeria.

We were very predictable: as we usually do when we go there, we shared a garlic-and-onion dip with bread, and then a pizza with shaved steak, red peppers, mushrooms and avocados, which I love, and which by all the rules of logic D. should hate but doesn't. Then a shared fudge-cake with ice-cream - altogether a Good Eat. [Smile]

Was saddened when I came home to hear via Facebook of the sudden death of John Scott, former organist of St. Paul's, lately at St. Thomas's, Fifth Avenue, New York. He was only a few years older than me, which is way too young. RIP. [Votive]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

quote:
...I'd love a sort of pre.raphelite kink...

Ooooh yes!

Oh, you mean in your hair.

[Razz]

I told someone last night in a letter that recently the rain has been restricting itself to night time - what a stupid thing to say! Now it's coming down in stair rods at 07.30! Thankfully I had been to the post office, posted said letter and done my morning walk around the lanes before it started. I was going to Larger Local Town this morning but may postpone it 24 hours.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  37  38  39  40  41  42  43  ...  58  59  60 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016