homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: Knockout Quiz 2008 (Page 20)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: Knockout Quiz 2008
CuppaT
Shipmate
# 10523

- Posted      Profile for CuppaT   Email CuppaT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
1. ALESSANDRO VOLTA
2. NOM DU JEU
3. BARBARICUS
4. MOATIZE
5. CEST LA GUERRE
6. ZIPPING
7. SEPTIMUS
8. HONOLULU
9. MAD RUSH
10. ICE CHARIOT

--------------------
Stand at the brink of the abyss of despair, and when you see that you cannot bear it any longer, draw back a little and have a cup of tea.
~Elder Sophrony

Posts: 919 | From: the edge of the Ozarks | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hmmm, my erudite post was eaten by the ether.
Anyway, I reckon Septimus is a good chance. If he is truly named after a Lord of Stronghold, then the chances of him killing the rest of the field during the race is pretty high.

And yes, this is a gratuitous Neil Gaiman reference.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

chicklegirl
Shipmate
# 11741

- Posted      Profile for chicklegirl   Author's homepage   Email chicklegirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Patdys:

And yes, this is a gratuitous Neil Gaiman reference.

I just finished reading "Stardust" last week, and I'd venture to say that any Neil Gaiman reference would be gratuitous.

--------------------
If you want to be happy, be.
~ Henry David Thoreau

Posts: 916 | From: Sixth Circle of Hell | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
ephemera
Shipmate
# 13355

- Posted      Profile for ephemera     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by chicklegirl:
quote:
Originally posted by The Great Gumby:
quote:
Originally posted by ephemera:
  • Red Ruler
  • Pompeii Ruler

I think this should be Red Lord, who's got mixed up with Pompeii Ruler (who also isn't in the field, unless I've missed something).
Don't feel bad, Ephemera. I made the same mistake! [Hot and Hormonal]
Thanks chicklegirl and TGG for keeping me honest. Somebody on a betting website misled me, but has since updated their webpage, so I can't prove it. I thought it was odd that two horses were named "ruler" but assumed it was something inherently Australian. With that said:

I'd like to switch my Red Ruler for Red Lord.
Please.

--------------------
A cool small evening shrunk to a dog bark and the clank of a bucket -
And you listening. T. Hughes

ephemera
Shipmate
# 13355

- Posted      Profile for ephemera     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Adding insult to injury, I missed the edit window. [Ultra confused]

I'd like to switch my idiot choices as follows:

• Red Lord for Red Ruler
  • Viewed for Pompeii Ruler

thus making my choices:

• Nom du Jeu
  • Profound Beauty
  • Red Lord
  • Viewed
  • Bauer
  • Littorio
  • Septimus
  • Zipping
  • Mad Rush
  • Honolulu

thanks again. [Overused]

--------------------
A cool small evening shrunk to a dog bark and the clank of a bucket -
And you listening. T. Hughes

Nutmeg
Ship's spice girl
# 5297

- Posted      Profile for Nutmeg   Email Nutmeg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And it was a photo finish.

1 st place Viewed
2nd Place Bauer
3rd C'est La Guerre.

Now for quizzies adjudication.

--------------------
" Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read" - Groucho Marx

Posts: 2285 | From: under the verandah at the rum distillery | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
the pilgrim
Ship's Brownist
# 13263

- Posted      Profile for the pilgrim   Author's homepage   Email the pilgrim   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
But?..... but?........... What happened to Book of Kells?.............. What do you MEAN he wasn't even in the race?!!!

--------------------
Life is good in the palm of God's hand.

Posts: 841 | From: the palm of the mitten | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So much for the bookies pick [Frown]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

- Posted      Profile for Quizmaster   Author's homepage   Email Quizmaster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
ELIMINATED FOR FAILING TO PICK ANY OF THE FIRST FOUR

Jedijudy

QUALIFIERS

Chicklegirl
Doublethink
Flags_Fiend
Icklejen
Mertseger
Nutmeg
PataLeBon
Surfing Madness
The Pilgrim

And the countdown goes on ..... 10 ..... 9 .....

--------------------
The more questions I ask the more I ask fewer questions.
OR=========================================
The wise person does not know all the answers, but always asks the right questions.

Posts: 3326 | From: Exeter, Devon | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

- Posted      Profile for Quizmaster   Author's homepage   Email Quizmaster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
ROUND SEVENTEEN : MAPS

You must search the internet for a map that has the maximum number of different features but not more than one of each.

You must then post

1. Name of the map
2. Link to the map
3. List all the features
(I will knock out any feature that I can find a second example of in the map that is linked)

Good Luck - I think this is a challenge.

--------------------
The wise person does not know all the answers, but always asks the right questions.

Mertseger

Faerie Bard
# 4534

- Posted      Profile for Mertseger   Author's homepage   Email Mertseger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I choose this map of Heaven

It's unique features include:
  1. A replica of the Washington Monument.
  2. A segregated section for Catholics.
  3. A roller coaster.
  4. A factory for giving the saved new bodies.
  5. A dinosaur petting zoo.
  6. A castle for...ahem...having marital relations.
  7. A place to view the damned.
  8. A candy shop.
  9. A boot camp for angels.
  10. A running track (in the boot camp).
  11. A snack bar.
  12. A large gate to keep out the unsaved.
  13. A drive-in movie theater for viewing memories.
  14. Go carts!

Now, all the rest of you need to find maps with fifteen or more unique features (assuming QM approves all these), and I can humbly bid adieu to this year's quiz happily in the top ten.

--------------------
Go and be who you are:
The Body of Christ,
The Goddess of Body,
The Manifest Song of Faerie.

Posts: 1765 | From: Oakland, CA, USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The earth.

This map contains 6 billion individual people. No repeats. I haven't listed them individually but can do so on request*

*Actually, no. But I could list enough to win this round. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

chicklegirl
Shipmate
# 11741

- Posted      Profile for chicklegirl   Author's homepage   Email chicklegirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
One of the most breathtaking attractions in my lovely home state of Washington is the Olympic Peninsula, home of the Olympic National Park. My family used to go camping there during the summer (when it was only slightly less rainy in the rainforest!)

On such a large map, it was hard to avoid a multiplicity of towns, trails, campgrounds, creeks, waterfalls, lakes, harbors, hot springs, beaches, bays, points, capes, islands, prairies, mountains, glaciers, ridges, roads, rivers, ranger stations, Indian reservations, visitor centers, memorials, and so forth. This map does, however, illustrate a few unique features (besides the national park itself):

One state park (Lake Cushman State Park)

One dock for international ferry service between Port Angeles, WA and Victoria B.C.

One rainforest (the Hoh Rainforest), which happens to be part of...

One national forest (the Olympic National Forest), which happens to be home to...

The world's largest western hemlock tree

The world's largest sub-alpine fir tree

The world's largest yellow cedar tree

The world's largest Douglas fir tree

And oh yes, one tiny town called Forks, recently shoved into the spotlight when it became the setting for the teen vampire novel Twilight (soon to be released as a motion picture)

--------------------
~ Henry David Thoreau

rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My map is the Ethical Trading Initiative site map.

It contains:

A bunch of crap I don't have to post because I am an also ran.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
PataLeBon
Shipmate
# 5452

- Posted      Profile for PataLeBon   Email PataLeBon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I pick the electoral map.

Electorial Map

It has 50 states, state abbreviations, electoral votes by state, and blue and red markings.

--------------------
That's between you and your god. Oh, wait a minute. You are your god. That's a problem. - Jack O'Neill (Stargate SG1)

Posts: 1907 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
i pick English counties map It has english counties marked on it.(Bedfordshire, Berkshire,Buckinghamshire,Cambridgeshire,Cheshire,Cornwall,Derbyshire,Devon,Dorset,Durham,Essex,Gloucestershire,Hampshire,Her efordshire,
Hertfordshire,Kent,Lancashire,Leicestershire,Lincolnshire,London,Middlesex,Norfolk,Northamptonshire,Northumberland,Nottingham shire,Oxfordshire,Shropshire,Somerset,Staffordshire,Suffolk,Surrey,Sussex (east and west),Warwickshire,Wiltshire,Worcestershire,Yorkshire(north, south, east?, west) and the Isle of Wight.)

As we were just told to post not debate if we agreed, coz i'm not sure London is really a county. Also east yorkshire is labeled, not sure is usually called that.

Rutland and huntingdonshire and a bit i can't work out just below east yorkshire are all on the map but not labeled.

Also labeled is Scotland and Wales. Not labeled is the sea, and the Isle of man.

Now to add up all those features.

43 labeled things and 5 unlabeled.

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
flags_fiend
Shipmate
# 12211

- Posted      Profile for flags_fiend   Email flags_fiend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I pick a world map, it contains 193 countries which are all different, listed here + the Vatican City.

flags x

[ 05. November 2008, 07:23: Message edited by: flags_fiend ]

--------------------
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."

Posts: 238 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I choose this bestiary of a map. Different features/ dimensions include:
  • Countries
  • Horse
  • Merpeople
  • Giant fish
  • Ship
  • Continents

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Quizmaster:
You must search the internet for a map that has the maximum number of different features but not more than one of each.
(I will knock out any feature that I can find a second example of in the map that is linked)

By my reading, several of the entries so far will be eliminated on these grounds. Multiple states, counties or countries seem to me to be more than one example of the same feature. If you stretched a point, you could probably argue that a feature implies something fundamentally geographical in nature, like a mountain or river, rather than administrative boundaries, but that would probably be quite hard when you've just claimed them as features.

My also-ran entry is the band Map, which consists of 3 different features, as listed here:

1. Lead singer/guitarist
2. Keyboards
3. Drums

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Nutmeg
Ship's spice girl
# 5297

- Posted      Profile for Nutmeg   Email Nutmeg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My entry for Round 17 is this Mind Map for time management .

My Map lists many features listed on 16 branches to assist you with Time Management, including

• effectiveness
  • delegation
  • communication
  • monitoring progress
  • mindtools
  • work/life balance and
  • choices/decisions

It's also very colourful and pretty. I like the pictures of the cats and the coffee.

--------------------
" Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read" - Groucho Marx

Posts: 2285 | From: under the verandah at the rum distillery | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
the pilgrim
Ship's Brownist
# 13263

- Posted      Profile for the pilgrim   Author's homepage   Email the pilgrim   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Since we've had 'heaven' and 'earth' I will submit this map of HELL. If I count right it shows at least 40 plus different levels (divided and subdivided) for at least 50 plus different types of sinners.

--------------------

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Quizmaster:
ELIMINATED FOR FAILING TO PICK ANY OF THE FIRST FOUR

Jedijudy

As always, I am truly amazed to have lasted this long in the Quiz! [Big Grin]
Mercy buckets, QM! [Overused]

I would like to offer this map, because it made me laugh!

As an Also-Ran (and proud of it) I am allowed to post such things! [Razz]

*jj goes off to bake brownies and make a gallon of Bahama Mamas for the Sky Box*

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I pick the site map for the Ship of Fools web site.

Well, it's not quite the ship of fools, but close enough? [Big Grin]

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nutmeg
Ship's spice girl
# 5297

quote:
Originally posted by Nutmeg:
My entry for Round 17 is this Mind Map for time management .

My Map lists many features listed on 16 branches to assist you with Time Management, including

• effectiveness
  • delegation
  • communication
  • monitoring progress
  • mindtools
  • work/life balance and
  • choices/decisions

It's also very colourful and pretty. I like the pictures of the cats and the coffee.

Wow I had shocker didn't I?

Try this link to the mind map I had in mind

--------------------

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

A poor effort this time around.

I shall now eliminate all claimed features of which there are two or more ..........

There could be several of you in the rerun of this round.

--------------------

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

Eliminated for failing to post:

Icklejen

QUALIFIERS

Chicklegirl
Doublethink
Flags_Fiend
Mertseger
Nutmeg
PataLeBon
Surfing Madness
The Pilgrim

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Nutmeg, your entry takes me to 'Post Reply' on the ship. Is your time-management all it's cracked up to be? [Biased]

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

ROUND EIGHTEEN : FUNNY SONGS

You must pick a song with funny or jokey lyrics.
Once you have chosen it I need the following information in your post.

1. Name of the Song
2. Name of the Artist
3. Link to the Lyrics

Additionally you can link to the song itself.

Once all entries are in (Also Ran Entries welcome)
you must PM me with your top ten choices.

--------------------

chicklegirl
Shipmate
# 11741

For good, clean flannel-and-petticoats fun, it has to be "The Lumberjack Song", performed by Michael Palin and the rest of the Monty Python Flying Circus troupe (lyrics available here).

--------------------
~ Henry David Thoreau

The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My also-ran pick is a song I used to quote in my sig: Groucho Marx singing "I'm Against It", taken from the film Horse Feathers. Lyrics can be found here.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was considering the Reigning king of funny lyrics (Weird Al) but thought better of it. I decided that I would post a song about a church service that everyone* of us would enjoy being at. I give you Ray Stevens' The Mississippi Squirrel Revival. Here is a video that plays the song. If this does not make every top ten you are all sinners and need a squirrel.

*By everyone I am referring to myself.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Liberty

ship's football fanatic
# 713

- Posted      Profile for Liberty   Email Liberty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
See, this is what happens when you skip lunch. I just forgot to post! Oh well! It was fun while it lasted, but I really should study for my exams, so it's for the best. Thanks Quizzie. [Overused]

--------------------
"I'ma be what I set out to be, without a doubt, undoubtedly"

Posts: 1879 | From: SW2 to 20009 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
the pilgrim
Ship's Brownist
# 13263

Like G.G., I'm posting a song made famous by Groucho Marx, the classic “Lydia the Tattooed Lady,” which became his signature tune. Music by Harold Arlen, lyrics by E.Y. Harburg.

I tried creating URL links and just couldn’t get it to work right, so here are the sites.

Lyrics can be found at http://www.reelclassics.com/Movie/Philstory/philstory-lydia.htm but you'll have to type it in.

If you go to YouTube and enter 'Lydia the Tattooed Lady' you can find a couple of versions done my Groucho as well as the Muppets.

--------------------

Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
For this round i nominate Val Doonican-O'Rafferty's Motor Car. I loved it when i was a kid, and it still makes me smile.

I've tried to link to the lyrics but have no idea why it's not working, so sorry but your have to copy and paste. http://www.justsomelyrics.com/1431575/Val-Doonican-O'Rafferty's-Motor-Car-Lyrics

Also here is a link to a video of it that made me laugh.

--------------------

CuppaT
Shipmate
# 10523

- Posted      Profile for CuppaT   Email CuppaT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, Rugasaw has posted our family's absolute favorite song over the years. Never seen it performed, though, so thanks!

I will go with what I have been trying to get our choir to do for the annual talent night: All God's Critter's Got a Place in the Choir, by Bill Staines. Here is a You Tube performance that is great, but not what I have in mind. You have to imagine our fun-filled choir in hayseed outfits and straw hats tapping our legs in time, slapping our knees occasionally, and swooooping some of the notes sometimes. Throw in an occasional animal sound and some dynamics, the exactly right people coming in on snippet solos in perfect timing. It's a fun song with the right vision, and the perfect choir director, of course.

CuppaT

--------------------
Stand at the brink of the abyss of despair, and when you see that you cannot bear it any longer, draw back a little and have a cup of tea.
~Elder Sophrony

Posts: 919 | From: the edge of the Ozarks | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mertseger

Faerie Bard
# 4534

- Posted      Profile for Mertseger   Author's homepage   Email Mertseger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This round is the toughest challenge so far for me because I love novelty songs. If you search for "The Best Medicine" at Pandora.com, you will be able to hear an endless stream of novelty songs from all eras. I just turned it on, I list the tracks as I write this up:

(Tom Lehrer: "We'll All Go Together When We Go"
The Ink Spots: "Your Foots Too Big"
Bowling For Soup: "Almost")

Thus, my task is to narrow things down. I'd like something a bit more recent since we've had several older, though exemplary, entries so far.

(The Presidents Of The United States: "Lump)

Wierd Al Yankovic is an obvious choice (I once got mistaken for him after having just stood in line behind him at a club. Wierd, er, strange night.) I'd like, however, to promiote someone more obscure.

(Carla Ulbrich: "What If Your Girlfriend Was Gone?". I was considering this song last night and it's right up there on my list.)

Stephen Lynch is probably too transgressive for this crowd though he's a surprisingly good musician. The Asylum Street Singers are also too crude for here as well; though, they're well worth checking out.

(The Tokens: "Bathroom Wall"
Spirit: "Fish Fry Road")

The Rutles, Roy "Chubby" Brown, El Vez (Mexican Elvis impersonator), Vile Richard, Austin Lounge Lizards, The Bonzo Dog Band, The Red Elvises (astoundingly good musicians), Mojo Nixon, Moxy Fruvous, Spinal Tap, Spike Jones, Richard Cheese (lounge-lizard covers of punk, rap and pop songs with lots of profanity), Tenacious D...

So many to choose from!

(Team America Soundtrack: "Freedom Isn't Free". Parker and Stone of South Park fame are well worth considering for this round.
Momus: "The Penis Song"
Tenacious D: "Friendship")

My second choice would be Cheryl Wheelers delightful song done to the Mexican Hat Dance: Potato. (Warning: clicking on that link may cause you to be singing the word "Potato" over and over again for the rest of the day.) But while the lyrics are okay and the song is hilarious, the song will not present well purely based on its lyrics.

(Of Montreal: "Tim, I Wish You Were Born A Girl"
Wilco: "Heavy Metal Drummer"
Da Vinci's Notebook: "Three Little Words". If you ever thought Meatloaf needed skewering, this is the song for you.
Vile Richard: "Glass Eye"
Tagyerit: "Pointless Psychic Revelation")

And so, at long last, I will present my choice. After much deliberation, I choose There's Viagra In The Water written by Camille West of Four Bitchin' Babes. It's surprisingly clean for the topic.

(Jacob Brochard: "Brains Brains"
The Four Counts: "Peeping Through Your Curtains"
David Shingley: "Don'ts"
Team America Soundtrack: "Montage"
Neil Innes: "Bruce's Philosophy Song"
Uncle Bonsai: "Johnny, It's Downhill From Here"
Jimmy Buffet: "Why Don't We Get Drunk And Screw" - a good place to stop)

[ 06. November 2008, 15:18: Message edited by: Mertseger ]

--------------------
Go and be who you are:
The Body of Christ,
The Goddess of Body,
The Manifest Song of Faerie.

Posts: 1765 | From: Oakland, CA, USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Angel Wrestler
Ship's Hipster
# 13673

- Posted      Profile for Angel Wrestler     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I never fail to get a laugh out of Florence Foster Jenkins , a wealthy socialite whose concerts were sold out!

--------------------
The fact that no one understands you does not make you an artist.
(unknown)

Posts: 2767 | From: half-way up the ladder | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Oh it's got to be the Flanders & Swann classic, P** P* B**** B** D******.

(Though I did also love, There's A Hole In My Budget, A Happy Song, Madeira M'Dear and First and Second Law.)

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

I can't find a sound recording of Pee, Po, Belly, Bum, Drawers ! But I thought you might enjoy this, which includes A Happy Song.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Actually, on mature reflection I'd like to change my choice to Flanders & Swann's Madeira M'Dear. The Broadway performance of those rather fine lyrics can be found here !

--------------------

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

Interesting choice Doublethink.

I too have gone back to my youth with Flanders & Swann - They just don't write songs like that anymore.

Like Mertseger I was caught trying to choose one song from many, and here it is:

1. The Gasman Cometh
2. Flanders & Swann
3. The Lyrics

Check out a nice video of the song HERE

And the number two song because it has limited appeal is

The English are Best.

Hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

--------------------

Nutmeg
Ship's spice girl
# 5297

Well I have had to think about this one...

While looking around the net I did find the old 'Unle Sam' ad Uncle Sam Deodorant ad, from the 70's. Always a favourite of mine.

However my entry is a song by a danish band shubidua " There is a dog sh!t in my garden" I have always admired them for rhyming garden with Elizabeth Arden. There is a
link here, to youtube, which has the lyrics scrolling across the bottom of the video. It has a pretty good reggae beat, but I believe it was also a big disco hit back in the 80's.

Enjoy

--------------------

flags_fiend
Shipmate
# 12211

- Posted      Profile for flags_fiend   Email flags_fiend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As a chemist I had to pick this really...

1. Elements
2. Tom Lehrer
3. lyrics

And if you click here you can listen to it.

flags x

--------------------
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."

Posts: 238 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
PataLeBon
Shipmate
# 5452

- Posted      Profile for PataLeBon   Email PataLeBon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This is my favorite song for stress relief. Really.

And blame the stores around here for making me remember it at this time..

Christmas at Ground Zero

[Big Grin]

--------------------
That's between you and your god. Oh, wait a minute. You are your god. That's a problem. - Jack O'Neill (Stargate SG1)

Posts: 1907 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Shell Factory Billboard Blues by Gary Link always was a favorite of my family way back when.

There doesn't seem to be a link to the lyrics, but that's OK, since I'm an Also-Ran!!! [Yipee] [Razz]

[ETA...Click on Gary's face to hear the song!]

[ 06. November 2008, 23:18: Message edited by: jedijudy ]

--------------------

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

Can I have your votes now please by PM.

They will be published once all the votes are in.

--------------------

Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

I made a list of the enteries to help myself and thought i wuld share it with everyone.

Chicklegirl – the lumberjack song
The Great Gumby – I’m against it
Rugasaw – the mississippi squirrel revival
The pilgrim – lydia the tattooed lady
Surfing Madness - O'Rafferty's Motor Car
CuppaT – all God’s critter’s
Mertseger – there’s viagra in the water
Angel Wrestler – Florence Foster Jenkins
Doublethink – Madeira M’Dear
Quizmaster – the gasman cometh
Nutmeg – “there is dog sh!T in my garden”
Flags_fiend – Elements
PataLeBon – Christmas at ground zero
Jedijudy – Shell Factory Billboard Blues.

I'm hopping i've not missed anyone out.

--------------------

Angel Wrestler
Ship's Hipster
# 13673

- Posted      Profile for Angel Wrestler     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you! How nice of you, Surfing Madness. [Smile]

[ 07. November 2008, 20:51: Message edited by: Angel Wrestler ]

--------------------
The fact that no one understands you does not make you an artist.
(unknown)

Posts: 2767 | From: half-way up the ladder | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

The voting resulted in the following table:

72 Rugasaw
66 Quizmaster
65 Chicklegirl
53 Mertseger
50 Surfing Madness
42 Flags_Fiend
31 CuppaT
29 Jedijudy
29 The Pilgrim
28 Doublethink
25 PataLeBon
23 The Great Gumby
20 Angel Wrestler
14 Nutmeg

Eliminated on the vote:

Nutmeg

QUALIFIERS:

Chicklegirl
Doublethink
Flags_Fiend
Mertseger
PataLeBon
Surfing Madness
The Pilgrim

Take a short break - I will start the next round on Monday night (UK time).

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

<jj dances and sings>

Nutmeg gets to come to the Skybox!! [Big Grin]

We have lots of food, and the weather is perfect and don't forget your sunglasses!

Here, have a glass of wine. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016