homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Eccles: Incense and thuribles (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  14  15  16 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Eccles: Incense and thuribles
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by The103rd (The Ship's Boatboy):
Now I really don't see the point in that - Incense is measured in "Clunkage" and a big thing like that cannot possibly clunk, it just swings which is useless!

Does anybody else measure in Clunkage? - I'm sure there is probably a metric equivilant now!

Silly boy!

You aren't one of these thurifers who insist on making as much noise with the thing as possible, causing undue and most irreverent noise and scratching the bowl with the chains, are you?

You must be your sacristan's worst nightmare!

There is a dignity, in a slow, reverent, SILENT, censing, that is lost when it is hurriedly done by bouncing the bowl off the chains. This is one of the hazards of nasty double and treble swings.

Grrrrrr!

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh, and incense is not measured in 'clunkage'.

Joan-the-Dwarf (as then was) provides a perfect explanation on this thread, when she writes, in response to the question "What is a thurifer?":

quote:
a) Person in charge of the thurible, which is a tin can on chains in which incense is burnt on charcoals.
b) fire-raiser-in-chief to the Celebrant.
c) person tasked with making the choir cough loudly. There is a system of rewards based on coughs per unit of incense imposed.
d) server who has the most fun.

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Clunkage? Dear, me.

There is something of a division among the experienced thurifers chez nous. The older and best thurifers do it just fine. Others think it a noisy distraction, especially during the elevations.

A new thurifer recently dumped the pot by tangling the foot of the thurifer in the chains as he was incensing the choir. Two-thirds of the pot landed on the runner and made a nasty burn mark. His first (and last) spill.

I believe the best retort against clinking the body of the thurible against the chains was made by the organist in our sister parish: As the chains have not been tuned, please don't play them.

Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ultraspike

Incensemeister
# 268

- Posted      Profile for Ultraspike   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Dumb Acolyte:
A new thurifer recently dumped the pot by tangling the foot of the thurifer in the chains as he was incensing the choir.

I can't quite picture this, DA. What was the thurifer's foot doing up in the chains? Or was this some kind of liturgical dance you do at the censings? [Ultra confused]

[ 31. July 2004, 01:21: Message edited by: Ultraspike ]

--------------------
A cowgirl's work is never done.

Posts: 2732 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

- Posted      Profile for Max.     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Clunkage? Dear, me.

There is something of a division among the experienced thurifers chez nous. The older and best thurifers do it just fine. Others think it a noisy distraction, especially during the elevations.

A new thurifer recently dumped the pot by tangling the foot of the thurifer in the chains as he was incensing the choir. Two-thirds of the pot landed on the runner and made a nasty burn mark. His first (and last) spill.

I believe the best retort against clinking the body of the thurible against the chains was made by the organist in our sister parish: As the chains have not been tuned, please don't play them.

Firstly - I can't quite picture HOW the thurifer could get his foot stuck in the thurible, but then again prehaps I don't want to know, I'll just get ideas [Biased]

Secondaly - I was told to ALWAYS bounce the thurible off the chains, especially at elevations - the clunkage can even replace the bells at some churches (not my own, but I have been a visiting thurifer to nearby parishes which don't have thier own thurifers and also don't have bells!)

Thirdly - Please note that Clunkage is a word which is © ME!
I just like the word Clunkage, it sounds so dirty [Biased]

--------------------
For the sake of His sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world.

Posts: 9716 | From: North Yorkshire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, yes, yes, Smarty Pants--the pair of you. Substitute thurible for thurifer.
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Aha! Sometimes the subconscious brain works so well the conscious brain never realizes what happened.

I do remember having a sense of "huh?" when I first read that bit about the foot and the chain, but then I realized it wasn't the person's foot, but rather the object's foot. But I made this mental correction without noticing what necessitated it, and thus was puzzled by the snide posts.

This is especially odd, since at the two churches where I am involved enough to know, the thuribles don't have feet.

Which is a great lead-in to a couple of sub-topics: Does your thurible have feet? Considering they get hot, why would any thurible not have feet?

[typos, typos [Roll Eyes] ]

[ 02. August 2004, 00:56: Message edited by: jlg ]

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

Yowie zowie. This thread really is snuffling off into the High Weeds.

Feet. Hmmmm. Yes, each thurible our crowd uses does have a foot. The bowl of the everyday thurible is spun brass, as is the base, or foot. The base is spun somewhat like the bowl, but smaller. They are attached flat part to flat part. So, were the foot to contact the floor, the shape of the contact surface would be annular. Is that clear? The silver thurible, bowl and base, are hexagonal in cross section, but topologically the same as the brass one. So, thuribles can have feet, as do mollusks, but they needn't look like the one at the end of your leg, if you are so fortunate as to have one there.

In my story I thought a foot might more easily be imagined to tangle with the chains than a base (modulo my typo).

Now, to the use of this foot. Well-trained thurifers will know that a thurible pendent by chain is inherently stable when hanging. Ill-trained thurifers who attempt rest their thurible on this foot are begging for it to overturn.

Our thuribles can get hotter than the hinges of hell, which is why we keep the blessed oven mitt close to hand in the sacristy.

Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

- Posted      Profile for Max.     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ours has a foot - it also has a little church building on the top, so when it's really smoky it looks like the church is on fire! Ohhh - it's so funny [Big Grin]

--------------------

Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

- Posted      Profile for Chocoholic     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I recently went to a service at an abbey where the thurible was place on the floor in front of the altar during the service. I was surprised as it was on carpet. Our is always held by the top as they are hot and presuably the weight of the chains could cause it to fall.

Does anyone else put their thurible down?

[spelling and UBB]

[ 02. August 2004, 12:52: Message edited by: Chocoholic ]

Posts: 773 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

Hmmmm,

The purpose of swinging the thurible is to keep the charcoal alight.

Therefore, I would only stop swinging it if the incense had all burnt away and there were a large volume of acrid charcoal smoke emanating from the thurible rather than the fragrant incense. For the more experienced thurifer, this should be a rare occurrence, but it does happen.

I cannot see any reason for actually putting it down, though. One of my previous churches developed carpet rings as a result of this practice.

Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

We hang our thurible on a stand - I really do try not to hit the floor incase it melts.

Actually, I have a little problem with my thurible, when it gets really hot it jams shut and I can't open it unless I stick a knife in it. People have been cleaning it because they said it was gunk but it still jams shut!
Any suggestions......?

--------------------

Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

- Posted      Profile for Chocoholic     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I went to 2 services where they used incense and it was put down during both. It puffed away for a little while, presumably until the incense ran out.

[ 02. August 2004, 13:27: Message edited by: Chocoholic ]

The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

quote:
We hang our thurible on a stand - I really do try not to hit the floor incase it melts.

Actually, I have a little problem with my thurible, when it gets really hot it jams shut and I can't open it unless I stick a knife in it. People have been cleaning it because they said it was gunk but it still jams shut!
Any suggestions......?

Hmmm,

I was going to suggest that it may be the resin build-up (gunk), but as you say, it has already been cleaned.

Without meaning to cause offence, has it been cleaned properly? I mean, if you look at the inside of the lid, especially where it meets the base, is there any brown/black build-up? If so, this may be the cause of the problem. Ethanol, or any other organic solvent will do the trick. Just invest in some goggles, latex gloves and use an old toothbrush. Have patience, and with a bit of elbow grease, it should clean up. You will need to give it a good wash and then a polish afterwards, but it will be well worth it.

Alternatively, someone once suggested giving it a good long boil - for hours. Apparently it makes the house smell lovely and makes it look good as new.

If it is not a resin build-up, then it may have just lost shape with age and use - heat makes metal pliable, and if it has been accidentally bashed against a pew/wall/congregant &c while hot, it may have altered the shape slightly. See if you can find any kinks in the shape. The light use of a small hammer should get it sorted. Just ensure that you hammer the inside.I hope this helps.

--------------------

Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

quote:
Originally posted by Back-to-Front:
quote:

Any suggestions......?

Hmmm,

I was going to suggest that it may be the resin build-up (gunk), but as you say, it has already been cleaned.

Without meaning to cause offence, has it been cleaned properly? I mean, if you look at the inside of the lid, especially where it meets the base, is there any brown/black build-up? If so, this may be the cause of the problem. Ethanol, or any other organic solvent will do the trick. Just invest in some goggles, latex gloves and use an old toothbrush. Have patience, and with a bit of elbow grease, it should clean up. You will need to give it a good wash and then a polish afterwards, but it will be well worth it.

Alternatively, someone once suggested giving it a good long boil - for hours. Apparently it makes the house smell lovely and makes it look good as new.

If it is not a resin build-up, then it may have just lost shape with age and use - heat makes metal pliable, and if it has been accidentally bashed against a pew/wall/congregant &c while hot, it may have altered the shape slightly. See if you can find any kinks in the shape. The light use of a small hammer should get it sorted. Just ensure that you hammer the inside.I hope this helps.

I don't do the cleaning, the sacrastry ladies do all of that. It looks pretty clean and I don't think there any dents (There certainly weren't any BEFORE I used it yesterday [Biased] )
I'll take a look at it tommorow, i'm not sure about boiling it, it's very valuable and if i ruin it, i'll be in a lot of trouble.....

--------------------

The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

quote:
Back-to-Front alleges:
The purpose of swinging the thurible is to keep the charcoal alight.

Not in my experience. The coals burn right to ash without needing much help. If the thruifer is late lighting the coals, open-cover swinging gets them burning evenly. It also gets them red hot again after the thurible has been hanging on the dumb acolyte.

My crowd shovels the incense on, so the purpose of swinging is to produce more billowing smoke. Not enough smoke? Not yet time to recharge? Grasp the thurible by the chains where the ring meets the cover and smartly shake it once or twice to expose unburned incense grains to the coals.

The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

No, sorry.

Charcoal can suffocate before being fully burnt out, especially if the thurifer has been a little enthusiastic in the number of pieces used.

The swinging of the thurible is to facilitate the passing of oxygen over the charcoal and prevents this from happening.

However, I do agree that often not all of the incense grains will have landed on the charcoal and it is useful to try to get those back onto the charcoal.

If there are not any, and you have nothing in the thurible except 6 brickets of charcoal billowing pungent charcoal smoke, the best thing to do is to just stop swinging. It is too high a ratio of charcoal smoke to incense that causes people's eyes & lungs to react, and not the incense itself.

People who do have genuine reactions to the contents of the thurible (and not the fakers - re: thread from a few months ago), are usually very understanding when it is explained to them that they are choking on the charcoal smoke and not the incense, and that the solution to the problem is to use more, not less incense. This balances the ratio.

--------------------

Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
It is too high a ratio of charcoal smoke to incense that causes people's eyes & lungs to react, and not the incense itself.
People who do have genuine reactions to the contents of the thurible (and not the fakers - re: thread from a few months ago), are usually very understanding when it is explained to them that they are choking on the charcoal smoke and not the incense, and that the solution to the problem is to use more, not less incense. This balances the ratio.

That makes no sense. The charcoal smoke is still there. It's just being supplemented (and masked) by the incense smoke.

Sieg

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

Perhaps it seems so, Siegfried, but Back-to-Front is correct. Maybe an air quality engineer will be along shortly to speak of particulate count and such, but I hope not.
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

quote:
Perhaps it seems so, Siegfried, but Back-to-Front is correct. Maybe an air quality engineer will be along shortly to speak of particulate count and such, but I hope not.

[Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by Siegfried:
The charcoal smoke is still there. It's just being supplemented (and masked) by the incense smoke.

You are correct, in that there will still be charcoal smoke, but I should imagine that as more incense is placed on top of the charcoal, that less oxygen gets to the charcoal and it produces less smoke, while at the same time the amount of incense smoke increases.
Sacristan
Shipmate
# 3548

- Posted      Profile for Sacristan   Email Sacristan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The solution to this smoke problem caused by coals, we were told many years ago, was to use an electric thurible. They were being marketed though the mail.

The electric thurible worked on a rechargeable battery which could be plugged in to an outlet. There was an on/off switch for the heating element itself.

Did anyone ever buy or see one of these things?
They looked like they were designed for inter-galactic worship.

--------------------
More abomination, more abomination

Posts: 1008 | From: West of Gotham | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

I think someone posted a link many many moons ago, but I cannot remember whether or not it was here. In any case, they are still available.

I cannot imagine what happens when the gunk needs to be cleaned out. Surely the element gets a bit manky and needs a good scrub, or are replacements available?

--------------------

Sacristan
Shipmate
# 3548

- Posted      Profile for Sacristan   Email Sacristan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
B-t-F,

Thanks for the above link. Most interesting. It is different form the one which we had seen in the sales flyer mailed to the parish office. This one is not as ugly as the other one.

O.K., now...someone with lots of spare cash...buy it and let us know what it is like.

Sacristan

--------------------

Ultraspike

Incensemeister
# 268

- Posted      Profile for Ultraspike   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Anyone who'd pay that kind of money for that piece of crap should just hire somebody to make a cool one. Could be very easily done, I'd think. Hmmm.... [Biased]
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

Ultraspike, Do you know shops that fabricate nice thuribles? TDA
Ultraspike

Incensemeister
# 268

I know a silversmith here who can make anything you can imagine! It wouldn't be cheap tho.

But on second thought, I think electric thuribles would be like electric barbecue grills. You lose something without that charcoal, that organic negrido element. [Big Grin]

--------------------

The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

Does she work in brass, too?

Both our brass and the silver thuribles are still well serviceable at 90 years, but we need to think about the coming years when they'll be more suitable for lighter duty.

Ultraspike

Incensemeister
# 268

Yes, he does brass work also. Very good at restoring things. I'll give you his address at our next incense meet.

--------------------

Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

This is a cleaning question again. I've got some acetone and a brush, about how much will I need and is it better to warm the thurible first? Our thurible is brass, is there anything I shouldn't do with it?
Ultraspike

Incensemeister
# 268

Just pour a few ounces of acetone into the bowl of the thurible and wipe resin off with a paper towel. You could use a brush if you have alot of crevices or metal work, but paper works well for wiping off resin. No need to heat the thurible. And remember to keep away from flames when you use acetone.

--------------------

Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

Thanks, most of the gunge is in the lid which does have quite a lot of decoration.
Sacristan
Shipmate
# 3548

You might want to let it sit in the acetone for a bit. However, remember to be careful of flames/fire.

--------------------

Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

Whatever you do, don't try cleaning it with petrol/light fluid [Razz]

--------------------

Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

Although acetone may even be more flammable than those!

My main problem is loads of resin build up inside the lid which has lots of decorative bits in. I don't know what its made of and don't want to damage it. It isn't silver and its not brass but its a silver colour, someone suggested a tin like material. I've got some off but ran out of acetone. I did manage to get the stuff round the inside of the lid which was making it stick when it got hot. I've read a lot about resin build up making it smell bad but this hasn't happened to ours.

[ 14. September 2004, 18:15: Message edited by: Chocoholic ]

Ubi Caritas
Apprentice
# 8985

- Posted      Profile for Ubi Caritas     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I know that there has been alot on here about the best brand of incense, but please allow me to ask the following:

-I am a sacristan in a RC church. We used to use Laudate Incense, made by the Trappists at St. Joseph Abbey in Spencer, MA. It is a very nice scent...woodsy, with a pronounced cinnamon and orange scent that works well at Christmas. However, it produces smoke that our choir finds hard to deal with. We switched to Glastonbury, made by Anglican monks in England (the name of the abbey escapes me at the moment). I learned about Glastonbury incense from the sacristan of the Church of the Advent in Boston--an AC church famous for it's use of both smells and bells. They mix it with pure frankincense. I mixed it with frankincense that I bought from an Orthodox monastery but the resin of the frankincense really does a number on the thurible. We now have a thurible that is sticky and the chains do not operate smoothly. :-(

So, we have been using just the Glastonbury incense, and despite a good amount of smoke (but not enough, in my opinion), the choir is pleased with the brand.

I recently went to St. John the Evangelist Church in Boston (also an AC church) and they had billows of smoke...and, of course, I inquired as to what brand they were using. The sacristan there told me that they use Basilica from Prinknash Abbey. He also told me that he mixes it with pure frankincense and myrh. I asked about the charcoal and he said that they use Three Kings Charcoal.

Now--I am looking for the best incense for producing lots of clouds of wonderful smelling smoke. I also am wondering what brand of charcoal you all advise using. I cannot use real charcoal (Kingsford) because we just don't have the right space, equipment, etc to do that.

How many briquettes should I use in a very average sized thurible? How long before the liturgy should it be lit? Do I need to add any additional charcoal during the liturgy?

We only use it in the entrance procession, at the offertory, and in the recessional. Our liturgy goes for one solid hour, sometimes a little longer.

Many thanks!

TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just a bump, to give Ubi Caritas another chance - though he's probably given up and left us by now!

Some time ago the non-availability of Rosa Mystica was mentioned.

It seems to have re-appeared! I have just come back from a pilgrimage at Walsingham and the Shrine Shop (and apparently one or two other places in the village) had incense under that name. I gathered from conversation that it was still hard to get - their supply was rationed - and a box (1/2 kilo?? - perhaps more) was priced at £21.50.

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Carilloneur
Shipmate
# 8279

- Posted      Profile for Carilloneur   Email Carilloneur   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Indeed, Rosa Mystica is available in the UK! I took delivery of a small jar this morning (in readiness for Easter Sunday) which cost £12.75 plus £6.50 postage and packing. [Eek!] (I hope it's worth it!).

Supplied after a delay of about a month, by Luzar Vestments of Bicester, Oxfordshire.

Posts: 67 | From: The Peak | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

You know, it's a lot more cost-effective, and I should imagine, just as effective, to just buy the frankincense and bung in your own rose essential oil from The Body Shop?

--------------------

Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Isn't all the scent-mixing what causes coughing? Is the scent really that important, other than that there be one? I think pure frankincense smells churchy, is less irritating, and smokes up better than floral mixtures.

Besides, I eventually will have to learn to be a thurifer, and I don't want the job to be like that of a chef. I'd like to keep it simple. [Votive]

Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

I was recently offered some candle samples from a UK based company and they sent me a sample box which included 5 small samples of their own blends of incense. I don't know if they send these out a lot but if anyone wants the name of the company PM me.

Choccie

The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

Hayes and Finch does that, I think. Upon request, one can be sent small samples of Basilica, Priory and Cathedral, among others. The Basilica is tolerable, but I find that these blends are nasty and sickly-sweet and that Scott is right - frankincense is best.

It was Ultraspike who gave me a detailed description of her blends and I find that this method works well. There's nothing wrong with taking a mortar and pestle to some frankincense and adding essential oils. Myrrh is not easy to get hold of in these parts but I understand mising that with farkincense for Lent is wonderful. I add rose oil for feasts of Our Lady, Sweet Orange for Easter and Christmass.

Pestling the frankincense ensures that there are grains of different sizes. One problem with large grains is that they take a while to get going, but uniform smal grains, although they burn immediately, they don't last as long as they need to. A range of grain sizes is best.

What causes the choking (apart from serial fakers, who steal credibility from the people who genuinely do suffer - and there are a few fakers), is the misguided notion that less incense = a smaller chance of choking.

This is the problem, because using less incense means that those present are inhaling a greater proportion of charcoal smoke. An increased amount of incense allows less oxygen to get to the charcoal, thus decreasing the amount of charcoal smoke produced, and also increasing the proportion of incense smoke.

--------------------

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
*bump*

Posts from another thread:

quote:
Originally posted by Bells&Smells, 03 June, 2005 19:11:
Please Help!

For our Rev'd Mother's anniversary of ordination this September, we're going to be having incense (and lots of it, since I'm swinging!).

Though good Catholic practise is prefered to the usual Anglican mess that is the liturgy today by some of us (the Rector, Rev'd Mother Curate, myself, and the churchwardens included!), the Parish isn't quite ready for general use of incense and Sanctus bells etc. so this will be a somewhat unusual occasion.

We've recently located the Parish thurible (which was, for some reason, very well hidden - I blame the Protty gang!) so that's all good, but we don't have any incense/coals yet. I was hoping for a bit of advice from those in the know.....

We shouldn't have to worry about too much smoke etc. since we'll be publishing the details of the service in the Parish magazine in advance - so those who really object to the Catholic practises will not turn up.

Any help will be gratefully recieved!

quote:
Reply by Back-to-Front, 03 June, 2005 19:26:
Don't get cheap charcoal - it isn't worth the saving over the decent stuff, and will cause more coughs and respiratory reactions.

The answer to coughs is to use more incense, not less - it is usually the charcoal smoke that elicits the reactions and not the incense.

Make sure that the thurible is clean. Some ethanol and a toothbrush can help rid it of any incense gunk.

The thurifer walks behind the taperers in well-ordered Anglican churches.

Do not use the nasty, sickly-sweet, pre-prepared blends, and certainly nothing with a cedarwood base. Frankincense is best, pestled into grains of various sizes. This ensures that there is no delay in smoke-production, while at the same time, ensuring that it doesn't burn away all at once.

If you do use frankincense, you can add a few drops of an essential oil (The Body Shop is very useful here [Biased] ). Rose and Sweet Orange work rather well (though not together).

I'll post more if I think of anything else. I'm sure that there are others who will have much more useful advice.

quote:
Posted by Corpus cani, 03 June, 2005 20:00:

quote:

Agree with every word bar the above B2F old chap. Both Ritual Notes and O'Connell make it clear that the thurifer leads the procession, i.e. walking in front of the taperers.
quote:
Posted by 103 (One-O-Three), 03 June, 2005 20:13:
Yes - Thurifer leads in front of acolytes in lovely white or oatmeal cassock albs

quote:
Response from Back-to-Front, 03 June, 2005 20:23:
quote:
Originally posted by Corpus cani:

quote:

Agree with every word bar the above B2F old chap. Both Ritual Notes and O'Connell make it clear that the thurifer leads the procession, i.e. walking in front of the taperers.
...which further lends weight to my argument.
quote:
Originally posted by MaryO, 03 June, 2005 20:30:
The Scriptural warrant for the thurifer/taperers is that the people of Israel were led by a pillar of cloud by day, and a pillar of fire by night.

[ 03. June 2005, 20:43: Message edited by: jlg ]

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

Thank you, jlg. [Biased]

--------------------

Corpus cani

Ship's Anachronism
# 1663

- Posted      Profile for Corpus cani     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by 103 (One-O-Three
...lovely white or oatmeal cassock albs

I think you'll find the Oxymorons thread in the Circus, 103.

Corpus [Disappointed]

--------------------
Bishop Lord Corpus Cani the Tremulous of Buzzing St Helens.

Posts: 4435 | From: Trumpton | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

Take the cassock-albs silliness someplace else people, and keep this a useful reference thread. [Mad]
Living in Gin

Liturgical Pyromaniac
# 2572

- Posted      Profile for Living in Gin   Email Living in Gin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bells&Smells:
Any help will be gratefully recieved!

Whatever you do, don't use bubbles.

--------------------
It's all fun and games until somebody gets burned at the stake.

Posts: 1893 | From: Cincinnati, USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

Have you used a thurible before? If not practise swinging it and censing things as it will make it easier.

The following advice is really basic stuff so if you know this already I apologise. [Smile]

If you need to get hold of charcoal and incense, the usual liturgical suppliers do both of these things, I think some of them do smaller boxes of incense too which you might want if you're not going to use it very often. The swift light charcoals are quite good.

You'll need a way of lighting them - you can hold them over a candle for a minute or two but if you have a gas ring or camping stove available they are hot in about 15 seconds. You'll be able to tell cos if you swing the thurible or wave the charcoal around the ring around the edge goes red.

A kitchen implement to hold the charcoals in the flame is also needed.

Before adding incense, open the lid a bit and swing the thruible to get the coals hot.

If you are having the incense for different parts of the service you may want to add a new coal for each. Do you have a thurible stand? If not find somewhere you can hang it when its hot and not being used.

After the service empty the coals outside the church on concrete and pour cold water over them.

Hope this is helpful, PM me if you think I can be of any further help!

Choccie

Frater_Frag
Shipmate
# 2184

- Posted      Profile for Frater_Frag   Email Frater_Frag   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
At my church we use mostly Three King´s incense. It tends to go easier on the lungs of most of our congo. Besides, it leaves a very pleasant smell afterwards... [Smile]

When it comes down to cleaning the metallic handbag, I use paint-stripper, the version that you can buy on ordinary spray-cans. Just spray and wait, then rinse with hot water, if nescessary, repeat the procedure. Just be make sure that you have good ventilation when you use the paint-stripper!

--------------------
Theological Dissident,
Fencing Instr :)

"Mammals have hair, whales are mammals. Therefore whales have hair... Shave the whales!"

Posts: 500 | From: Linköping/Sweden | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace*

Shipmate
# 4754

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace*   Email Amazing Grace*       Edit/delete post 
To assist in cleaning, we often line the thurible with tinfoil.

Question for the assembled: who usually cleans the thurible at your place? The thurifers or the Altar Guild/sacristans?

Charlotte

--------------------
.sig on vacation

Posts: 2594 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

quote:
Originally posted by Amazing Grace:
To assist in cleaning, we often line the thurible with tinfoil.

Question for the assembled: who usually cleans the thurible at your place? The thurifers or the Altar Guild/sacristans?

Charlotte

Neither - we send it off to some specialist cleaners!!! [Cool]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  14  15  16 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016