homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Eccles: Books any self-respecting Anglo-Catholic [priest] should have (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Eccles: Books any self-respecting Anglo-Catholic [priest] should have
magnum mysterium
Shipmate
# 3418

- Posted      Profile for magnum mysterium   Email magnum mysterium   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nunc Dimittis:
But I notice that GAC Whatton's Priest's Companion isn't on the list...

It's still a work in progress, so don't fear.
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You can have the added delights of crawling around my libraries of heresy whilst meandering wound LibraryThing ... no anglo catholic tags though. More sort of libcaff heretic [Snigger]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
magnum mysterium
Shipmate
# 3418

- Posted      Profile for magnum mysterium   Email magnum mysterium   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
You can have the added delights of crawling around my libraries of heresy whilst meandering wound LibraryThing ... no anglo catholic tags though. More sort of libcaff heretic [Snigger]

I note that at least one item from your library matches our bibliography, Father. Percy Dearmer, if I recall correctly. Come out dear, you know you want to... [Biased]
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Paranoid] Never ... I'll hide behide my post-modern chazzie 'til the day I die [Snigger]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cosmo
Shipmate
# 117

- Posted      Profile for Cosmo         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Magnum Mysterium:
OK everyone, I have started a new book collection in Library Thing, with the user handle 'ecclesiantics' - see here. I have put in most of the suggestions that have been listed on these threads, but I haven't yet done many prayer books or missals.

You will be glad to know that of the 123 books on that list I have 121.

Some curious choices (not sure how Chips Channon's Diary is an Anglo-Catholic classic with the exception of it being one of the campest books in Christendom) but otherwise all good sound stuff.

Cosmo

Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It wouldn't hurt to add Conrad Noel's 'Autobiography' which I found on my shelves the other day. It's very enjoyable, especially the bits where he talks sadly about what a snob he was as a boy, and the foreward where the editor explains how many tactless remarks had to be excised from the ms.

Walsh's 'The Secret History of the Oxford Movement' was given to me as an ordination present; I'm not sure if it's a 'must have' but I'm glad I've got it.

[ 14. August 2006, 12:51: Message edited by: Amos ]

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo:

Good Lord. I've got only 17, which amazes me. I need to get busy buying books, I suppose!

Scott, Anglo-Catholic but no priest
"scottknitter" on librarything.com

magnum mysterium
Shipmate
# 3418

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo:

Some curious choices (not sure how Chips Channon's Diary is an Anglo-Catholic classic with the exception of it being one of the campest books in Christendom) but otherwise all good sound stuff.

Cosmo

Bloody show-off! Wait till I add more.

I think you've answered your own question too, Father.

Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Until today, I had the Cyril Pocknee rewrite of The Parson's Handbook, but as of today I also have Percy Dearmer's own Tenth Edition, and I can already see what I've been missing...

It may be mentioned here that men are apt to think their surplices longer than they really are, because, when one leans forward to look at the length of the garment, it drops several inches in front. (p. 142)

Now the worship of Mammon has so far intrenched on the honour due to God that the sweater has his own way with us, and it is considered seemly for a minister to appear in church in the garment called a 'sausage-skin', a so-called surplice that is not only short, but is entirely deprived of gathers, so that a few extra half-pence may be saved from the cost of worship. (p. 143)

[Axe murder]

Monty
Shipmate
# 9227

- Posted      Profile for Monty   Email Monty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I note on the LibraryThing users with the same books I come out tops with 24 and you, Scottknitter, come second with your 17.

--------------------
I too am High, even extreme, but somewhat lapsed, which is a sound position, as you belong to the best section of the best branch of the Christian Church, but seldom attend its services. Rose Macaulay

Posts: 170 | From: Australia | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ed Bakker
Shipmate
# 2706

- Posted      Profile for Ed Bakker   Email Ed Bakker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

And where can you get them from? I only have a photocopy of Ritual Notes which is looking tatty and sad...

Hi Nunc.D,
For my postulant studies I had to get the ritual notes by Lamburn, eleventh edition, which I managed to get through Amazon in the USA ( via the Internet ) It took me a while to get it.
Pax

Ed......

--------------------
Restless... until we rest in Thee Saint Augustine

Posts: 57 | From: Oxford New Zealand | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Comper's Child
Shipmate
# 10580

- Posted      Profile for Comper's Child     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations to Scott - Cyril Pocknee's edition is a pale reflection indeed of Percy's magnum opus.
Posts: 2509 | From: Penn's Greene Countrie Towne | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Anthropax
Shipmate
# 11234

- Posted      Profile for Anthropax   Email Anthropax   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My LibraryThing informs me that I only have three titles mentioned - something to be changed! (I have the same name on it as here)

I was very pleased to see Nigel Yates' 'Anglican Ritualism in Victorian Britain', as I have a few lectures with him next year, and even sit near him in Chapel. Both he and his wife are some of the highest people I know. They also bow in unison at the appropriate time.

--------------------
Be joyful and keep the faith! St David

Posts: 142 | From: Yorkshire | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
magnum mysterium
Shipmate
# 3418

I've added about 30 more titles to the Ecclesiantics list on Library Thing (see link above).

More suggestions are welcome for the list - especially if you see any "people who own this also own this" kinds of recommendations on Library Thing itself.

Library Thing also has a rating system. I was thinking of putting ratings on each of the books depending on how "necessary" people think they are to self-respecting A-Cism. This will be fraught with all sorts of contentions, I know. Any ideas?

magnum mysterium
Shipmate
# 3418

Just popping by to brag about my latest acquisition - a copy of the 11th edition of Lamburn's Ritual Notes, near mint condition, with dust jacket and small insert supplement for the variations to the Western rite resulting from Vatican II. Oh, and it includes illustrative photographs from St Alban's, Holborn. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

It cost me a pretty penny, but if I'm ever poor I'm sure I'll make a mint on it.

Divine Office
Shipmate
# 10558

- Posted      Profile for Divine Office         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've recently obtained the following items:-

1) The 9th edition of Ritual Notes published in 1946. It therefore predates the reforms to the Western Rite made by Pius XII in the 1950s. It makes an interesting comparison with the reprint of the 11th edition of 1964 which I also have, which started to creep very slightly in the Novus Ordo direction.

2) Merrily On High by Colin Stephenson, which is a brilliant read and full of reminiscences of spiky religion.

3) The 1936 edition of Catholic Prayers for Church of England People,originally compiled by Fr Stanton of St Alban's, Holborn.

I am still seeking the following:-

1) Walsingham Way by Colin Stephenson

2) The Priest's Companion by Fr GAC Whatton.

3) The 1950 edition of A Manual of Catholic Devotion for members of the Church of England ,published by the Church Literature Association. I already have that of 1969.

DIVINE OFFICE

Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

- Posted      Profile for Nunc Dimittis   Email Nunc Dimittis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Also still lusting after Whatton's Priest's Companion.
Posts: 9515 | From: Delta Quadrant | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anthropax
Shipmate
# 11234

- Posted      Profile for Anthropax   Email Anthropax   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gage Books has a copy of 'Merrily on High', and four copies of 'Walsingham Way' - I'd love them, but they're a bit out of my price range at £40-£50 each.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is going to be a very ignorant newbie question, but why is the Revised English Bible the only Bible on the list? Why not the King James, or the Revised Authorised, or the New Jerusalem Bible for example?

I am interested because I didn't return to one church bible study group after the leaders reacted with criticism to an alternative translation of the bible compared to their preferred version, not interested discussion as to why the versions varied. I think I could have been trying to compare a New Jerusalem Bible (mine) as the only pocket version I own, to the New International Version, as used by the group leader.

Apologies if there is a topic on this somewhere, but I couldn't find it when I checked in Dead Horses.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Monty
Shipmate
# 9227

- Posted      Profile for Monty   Email Monty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some other books needed for the perfect AC, on the poetical side
The Canterbury pewside book by Fred Pope pseud. [i.e. Peter Howard Butler.]
Pi in the high by Eric Lionel Mascall
What's the use? (Humorous poems) by Stanley John Forrest
Time for a rhyme by Stanley John Forrest
Chapter and verse. [Verse] by Stanley John Forrest
Another gap is
Frank, Bishop of Zanzibar. Life of Frank Weston, D.D., 1871-1924 by Smith, Herbert Maynard

--------------------
I too am High, even extreme, but somewhat lapsed, which is a sound position, as you belong to the best section of the best branch of the Christian Church, but seldom attend its services. Rose Macaulay

Posts: 170 | From: Australia | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Divine Office
Shipmate
# 10558

- Posted      Profile for Divine Office         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anthropax wrote:-

quote:
Gage Books has a copy of 'Merrily on High', and four copies of 'Walsingham Way' - I'd love them, but they're a bit out of my price range at £40-£50 each.
I got my copy of Merrily On High for under £20 on eBay. I was lucky as I had already been outbid but was offered a second chance to buy the item when the original buyer pulled out. My copy is the American edition, which has the same text but a different dust jacket from the edition published in the UK.

There is currently a copy of Fr Whatton's Priest's Companion on eBay, but it only comes as an extra with another item which I don't want. Moreover, the copy is in pretty bad condition and would probably need to be rebound.

DIVINE OFFICE

Divine Office
Shipmate
# 10558

I forgot to mention that Fr Elliot's Ceremonies of the Modern Roman Rite has recently been published in a revised edition taking into consideration the directives in the new GIRM. An essential book for the modern Anglo-Papalist!

DIVINE OFFICE

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I possess most of the books on this list and I reckon I should itemise them in my will so that they go to deserving homes and fetch a good price for my estate.
Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
This is going to be a very ignorant newbie question, but why is the Revised English Bible the only Bible on the list? Why not the King James, or the Revised Authorised, or the New Jerusalem Bible for example?

By "on the list" do you mean the LibraryThing list? Probably because it was the one that Magnum Mysterium had bibliographic info readily to hand or his personal preference. Just my guess.

This thread isn't about coming up with an "authoritative" list of books, it's more a fun exercise in what sort of books you'd expect to see on the bookshelf when visiting a very smells-and-bells sort of Anglican priest. For some of the participants, this means looking at their own bookshelf and noting what's on it and what else they would like to see there.

quote:
Apologies if there is a topic on this somewhere, but I couldn't find it when I checked in Dead Horses.
I don't know if the Ship has ever had a thread comparing Bible translations. It's definitely not a Dead Horse topic. If you'd like to simply discuss/compare, feel free to start a thread; Kerygmania would probably be the appropriate place for it.

If you'd like to discuss which translation is best suited to particular types of worship services, you could start a new thread here.

If you simply think an Anglo-Catholic priest should have a different translation on his shelf, add it to the list here.

And it's always OK to ask questions on the Ship!

jlg/Ecclesiantics host

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

- Posted      Profile for Manipled Mutineer   Author's homepage   Email Manipled Mutineer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Just popping by to brag about my latest acquisition - a copy of the 11th edition of Lamburn's Ritual Notes, near mint condition, with dust jacket and small insert supplement for the variations to the Western rite resulting from Vatican II. Oh, and it includes illustrative photographs from St Alban's, Holborn. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

It cost me a pretty penny, but if I'm ever poor I'm sure I'll make a mint on it.

Well, if we are boasting, can I mention that this week saw the acquisition of Fr. Belton's "Manual for Confessors", "An Introduction to English Liturgical Colours", Ninian Comper's "Of the Christian Altar", and a copy of the Liturgy, Psalter and Hymnal of the Catholic Apostolic Church?

The first has already been cited but I suspect that the middle two (I haven't received them in the post yet) would be very fitting reading for a priest of the "English Use"/Dearmerite school. The interest of the last would be purely comparative, I expect!

--------------------
Collecting Catholic and Anglo-
Catholic books

Posts: 1533 | From: Glamorgan, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

- Posted      Profile for Nunc Dimittis   Email Nunc Dimittis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
this week saw the acquisition of Fr. Belton's "Manual for Confessors",
*envious*

I haven't been able to find anything like it ANYWHERE.

aumbry
Shipmate
# 436

- Posted      Profile for aumbry         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can someone explain to me why Gentlemans Clubs of London and French Provincial Cooking are considered Anglo-Catholic? Any connection must surely be tangential. And why Brideshead Revisited? My recollection of the latter is that it contains one very insulting line about Anglo Catholics and that is it. Steinbeck's East of Eden contains more Anglo-Catholic material than that (admittedly not much)and is a far better novel. Surely Miss Pymm and Mr Compton Mackenzie would be more qualified to be considered Anglo-Catholic than E. Waugh and they are not on the list.

And finally if you want a camp Anglican diarist James Lees-Milne is of far greater quality and qualification than the dire Chips Channon.

Aumbry

Posts: 3869 | From: Quedlinburg | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
magnum mysterium
Shipmate
# 3418

Barbara Pym is most certainly on the list.

As for gentlemen's clubs and gastronomiques, over to you, Cosmo...

Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

- Posted      Profile for Manipled Mutineer   Author's homepage   Email Manipled Mutineer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If we are allowed to stray in the direction of manuals for the laity (handy for Father to have on his shelf to lend out to his parishioners) I would also like to put in a recommendation for Charles Walker's "The Congregation in Church", if only for the exhortations on the cover (which I think I may use as my signature, now I come to think of it.)

On the same tack, and as an alternative to Fulton Sheen, I also rather like "A Simple Explanation of Low Mass" by J. B. O'Connell. Some nice illustrations, albeit black and white.

--------------------
Catholic books

aumbry
Shipmate
# 436

- Posted      Profile for aumbry         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As the anglo-catholic in question seems to be a well-heeled gastronome and clubman I would suggest he has the Baskerville King James Bible which though not very portable would be helpful if his sight is failing.

Aumbry

Posts: 3869 | From: Quedlinburg | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
magnum mysterium
Shipmate
# 3418

Is it worth including the books on this list in our list?
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Comper's Child:
Directorium Anglicanum, of course, though they're scarce as hen's teeth.

Praise God for Project Canterbury!

Incidentally, I have a question. I can borrow a copy of Dearmer's Parson's Handbook through my uni library, but I have a choice of 1957 or 1965. I seem to recall someone saying that the 1965 was less authentic than previous editions. Any advice?

Posts: 6806 | From: Tio'tia:ke | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Comper's Child
Shipmate
# 10580

- Posted      Profile for Comper's Child     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
57 or earlier. The later one was heavily edited to eliminate some of the quaintest features of Percy's era!
Posts: 2509 | From: Penn's Greene Countrie Towne | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

quote:
Originally posted by Comper's Child:
57 or earlier. The later one was heavily edited to eliminate some of the quaintest features of Percy's era!

I would try both, but the full-fat (1957 version) first! I believe that the 1957 edition will be a reprint of the 12th (193?) edition, the last that Dearmer himself edited. The 1965 edition will probably be the thirteenth edition, edited (as has been mentioned before) by Cyril Pocknee, himself quite an interesting writer, but undoubtedly guilty of taking some of the edge off Dearmer's pronouncements. (I have a reel of film put out by the Warham Guild in the 50s/60s illustrating Pocknee's The Christian Altar, I assume to accompany a talk.)

Anthony.

--------------------
Catholic books

Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

quote:
Is it worth including the books on this list in our list?

Yes.

Especially Macquarrie's Guide to the Sacraments.

magnum mysterium
Shipmate
# 3418

Have updated the list in Library Thing with about 40 new titles (our login name is Ecclesiantics). Have a look in the "psst..." tab at the top of the screen and see if there are any recommendations from the user data to enhance our collection.
Extol
Shipmate
# 11865

- Posted      Profile for Extol   Email Extol   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think I saw Fr. Carleton's THE KING'S HIGHWAY: A SIMPLE STATEMENT OF CATHOLIC BELIEF AND DUTY cited thus far in this thread; I apologize if I missed it. It is a fine outline of Anglo-Catholic beliefs, and was recently reprinted by Tufton Books/Canterbury Press. It is one of two books I recommend to persons interested in exploring Anglo-Catholicism (the other being Fr. Staley's CATHOLIC RELIGION, which is now available as a print-on-demand title from Wipf and Stock).
Posts: 1287 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Anthropax
Shipmate
# 11234

quote:
quote:
*envious*

There's a copy on Ebay atm - linky

--------------------

The Gentle Duffie
Shipmate
# 10901

- Posted      Profile for The Gentle Duffie   Email The Gentle Duffie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Belton doesn't strike me as particularly scarce or rare at all....
Posts: 266 | From: Foreign Parts | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

quote:
Originally posted by Anthropax:
quote:
quote:
*envious*

I bought a copy recently. For far too much.

And then discovered a copy of the second edition going for NOTHING on the throw out table in the library at college. (They have another copy of the 3rd edition.)

Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Anthropax:
quote:
quote:
*envious*

I bought a copy recently. For far too much.

And then discovered a copy of the second edition going for NOTHING on the throw out table in the library at college. (They have another copy of the 3rd edition.)

Ouch! My sympathies. But was there anything else interesting on the table?

Anthony.

--------------------
Catholic books

Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

A copy of the third section of Scripture in Song?

[Big Grin]

Unfortunately not, MM.

Divine Office
Shipmate
# 10558

Hooray!! Just managed to buy a copy of Fr GAC Whatton's Priest's Companion!!!

I won't say how much I paid for it, but I'll be living on bread and water for a while!!!

I can't wait for it to arrive!

DIVINE OFFICE

Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

*green with envy*
Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

quote:
Originally posted by Divine Office:

I won't say how much I paid for it, but I'll be living on bread and water for a while!!!

I can't wait for it to arrive!

DIVINE OFFICE

Congratualtions, Divine Office. You are obviously very committed to your collection and I wish you all the best with your new addition. Can you post a commentary at some point? I am sure we would be interested to know a little more about it.

Anthony.

--------------------
Catholic books

Divine Office
Shipmate
# 10558

Manipled Mutineer wrote:-

quote:
Congratualtions, Divine Office. You are obviously very committed to your collection and I wish you all the best with your new addition. Can you post a commentary at some point? I am sure we would be interested to know a little more about it.

I would be delighted to do so, Manipled Mutineer. The book should arrive within the next few days.

I had already seen a copy owned by a priest friend of mine. There were also several page scans on the eBay listing of the book, where I obtained it. Basically, it is a devotional manual for Anglo-Catholic priests compiled largely from tradtional RC sources but also from Eastern liturgies. It contains much advice on the priest's life of prayer, the celebration of Mass and the recitation of the Divine Office, with many prayers and devotions. I remember from my friend's copy that Fr Whatton was a definite Anglo-Papalist in that he recommended recitation of the Roman Breviary in preference to the BCP offices.

The copy I have obtained was the 1960 edition, which I suppose was the last. There were two previous editions before that, the first I believe in 1946. It was published by John Knott and Sons. I think I remember my friend telling me that the SSC had a good deal of influence on the book.

Fr Whatton was mentioned in Michael Yelton's book on Anglo-Papalism. Apparently he was received into the RC Church at one point and joined a monastic community. However the novice master felt that he was still an Anglican at heart in spite of his Papalist views, and he therefore rejoined the C of E and became a secular priest. He also contributed to the later editions of Ritual Notes,and produced several other books and pamphlets including The Priest's Book of Occasional Offices and Blessings. Is anyone familiar with the latter?

Incidently,is anyone also familiar with a Roman Catholic book entitled The Manual of Catholic Prayer for All Days and Seasons and Every Circumstance of Christian Life? It was published in 1961 by Burns and Oates, and is a very attractive prayer manual printed in Belgium. It contains excerps from the pre-Vatican II Roman Missal and Ritual with much devotional material, including prayers from the Eastern rites as in Fr Whatton's book. I have also just acquired a copy in excellent condition.

DIVINE OFFICE

Divine Outlaw
Gin-soaked boy
# 2252

- Posted      Profile for Divine Outlaw   Author's homepage   Email Divine Outlaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lukacs:
It is a fine outline of Anglo-Catholic beliefs, and was recently reprinted by Tufton Books/Canterbury Press.

To be honest, it's a fine statement of somewhat conservative pre-Vatican II Roman Catholic beliefs, with acknowledgment of an Anglican context. Worth obtaining, nonetheless, out of historical interest and for the nice Travers artwork.

[ 28. September 2006, 12:23: Message edited by: Divine Outlaw Dwarf ]

--------------------
insert amusing sig. here

Extol
Shipmate
# 11865

- Posted      Profile for Extol   Email Extol   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Divine Outlaw Dwarf:
To be honest, it's a fine statement of somewhat conservative pre-Vatican II Roman Catholic beliefs, with acknowledgment of an Anglican context

Isn't that Anglo-Catholicism in a nutshell? [Biased]
Posts: 1287 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
dolphy

Lady of Perpetual Responsiblity
# 862

- Posted      Profile for dolphy   Email dolphy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Divine Office:

quote:
Answered by Nunc:
*green with envy*

Nunc, I'm not promising but, I have located a possible second hand copy for you. I'll keep you informed [Biased]

[ 28. September 2006, 15:27: Message edited by: dolphy ]

--------------------
Looking forward to my rock moving closer again.

Posts: 15134 | From: my camper van | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Divine Office
Shipmate
# 10558

Got my Priest's Companion this morning! It is a truly wonderful devotional resource which ought to be reprinted! Are you listening, Canterbury Press?!!!

I will post my full impressions of the book later, but I do hope that you manage to get a copy of your own, Nunc. You won't regret it!!!!

DIVINE OFFICE

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016