homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Same place, new questions (Page 20)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  ...  33  34  35 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Same place, new questions
Tea gnome
Shipmate
# 9424

- Posted      Profile for Tea gnome     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Could anyone tell me in the (RC) Sacrament of the Sick/ Last Rites, would it make a significant difference to the future prospects of someone's soul if they aren't able to take a final Eucharist?
A priest recently asked 'should he bring communion or just oil?' (words to that effect).
Equally would it have been very bad to say 'Bring both, and see when you get here'? I'm guessing there isn't a travel sized Eucharist you can whip out at a moment's notice without consequence.
It's not a situation I forsee arising again in a hurry, but I'm curious, and would like to be prepared in future.
TG

--------------------
Floating Fund!

Hennah

Ship's Mother Hen
# 9541

- Posted      Profile for Hennah   Email Hennah   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How do you tune a pipe organ?

There was a card from an organ-tuner floating around in church last weekend... and wondering about how it's done didn't at all distract me from the service...

How does it go out of tune in the first place? It's not like it has strings that can stretch etc... or do the pipes contract/expand slightly? I imagined filing bits off the ends of the pipes to make them shorter... but then how to make one longer? Do they just get a bristle brush shoved up each pipe to clean out accumulated grot? Or is there a sort of plunger-y thing in each one, swannee-whistle-style, to make a God Clanger?

I could just Google, but I'm sure someone on here will know...

Thanks!

Hen

--------------------
Never stand behind satan in a Post Office queue: the devil takes many forms.

Posts: 925 | From: The Henhouse, Beside The Seaside, Kent | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Doris:
There is the possiblity that PaulW and I will be able to go to Paris for a weekend in March to catch up with friends who are travelling on elsewhere after the weekend.

Does anyone have any advice on the easiest way and how much it might cost to get from CDG Airport to Monmartre. Also, does anyone know of any cheap accommodation?

Ta.

Auntie Doris x

I used the information from this travel website when I went to Paris a year ago and found the instructions easy enough to follow. The train you will take into Paris is the RER ( a regional/suburban train) which has connections at several of the main Métro stations. It's all very easy, but buying your ticket is definitely easier if you have a credit card with a smart chip. Most US credit cards do not, so I had to wait in line at a ticket booth and that took forever!

And I echo what Gill H said about not staying in Montmartre in the evenings. That's important! The Bastille area, which she recommended, is indeed safe enough at night and is popular with young people -- you'll find lots going on. Bon voyage!

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

- Posted      Profile for monkeylizard   Email monkeylizard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hennah:

There was a card from an organ-tuner floating around in church last weekend...

I've always understood the reason for it to be related to cleaning the organ pipes. As years, decades, and centuries of dust and soot build up, I would think it would alter the pitch of the pipe. And over those same years, well meaning church persons may have tried to clean the organ pipes and not realized that the softest touch can sometimes alter the sound of the pipe. And some pipes are soft enough to get bent/dented easily.

So tuning the organ would normally involve removing some of the pipes for cleaning, then reinstalling them and tuning them. Collect some more of the pipes and repeat.

Note: All of this "knowledge" comes from watching Mike Rowe help remove/clean/reinstall some pipes on his "Dirty Jobs" show on the Discovery channel.

As for the how, wiki suggests it varies based on the type of pipes used.

--------------------
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. ~ Herbert Spencer (1820 - 1903)

Posts: 2201 | From: Music City, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The pipes do also expand and contract ... but maybe we'll wait until one of the ship organ experts comes along ...

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our organ has been cleaned recently, and all the pipes were removed and cleaned. When it was put back together again they were all tweaked to put them back in tune - I guess where and how they were fitted into the base boards. It involved someone up in the organ loft fiddling with pipes while someone else played the notes. There have been a couple more visits to retune since. But some of the things being done are things like changing one of the bass pipes from being on a conveyancer or how it's on a conveyancer as it's not responding fast enough.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Dennis the Menace
Shipmate
# 11833

- Posted      Profile for Dennis the Menace   Email Dennis the Menace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

There was a card from an organ-tuner floating around in church last weekend... and wondering about how it's done didn't at all distract me from the service...

How does it go out of tune in the first place? It's not like it has strings that can stretch etc... or do the pipes contract/expand slightly? I imagined filing bits off the ends of the pipes to make them shorter... but then how to make one longer? Do they just get a bristle brush shoved up each pipe to clean out accumulated grot? Or is there a sort of plunger-y thing in each one, swannee-whistle-style, to make a God Clanger?

I could just Google, but I'm sure someone on here will know...

Thanks!

Hen

Briefly what happens is much what Zappa said, expansion & contraction.

Tuning needs to be done a regular basis based on climate and the ambient conditions in the building.

The instrument will go out of tune due to extreme diferences in humdity and temperature, basically expansion and contraction. On hot days the tuning will be flat and sharp on cold days.

Some ranks are more suseptable than others, metal ones more so than the wooden ones. Some metal ones have a 'tuning cone' much like a big plunger which is pushed/pulled as needed, others have a piece cut out and rolled up/down.

At one church I was involved in many years ago in Sinney, the tuner was of large stature and I was amazed at how is was able to fit into the confined spaces to carry out tuning. Altough methinks he did not always do a thorough job because of it!!

--------------------
"Till we cast our crowns before Him; Lost in wonder, love, and praise."

Posts: 853 | From: Newcastle NSW Australia | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having a pipe organ dismantled and cleaned has nothing at all to do with having it tuned. Pipes are never removed from their seats (or 'hole') to be tuned. The only reason a pipe would be taken out would be to correct some physical problem- like something had fallen into it, or it had been damaged. Organs are cleaned very very seldom, for reasons of dirt or deteriorated parts interfering with the electricals or magnets or other wooden or leather parts.

Another Wiki article - on organ pipes shows some of the various kinds of pipes. There are many tuning mechanisms. All involve altering the volume of air inside the pipe which is put into vibration. People think that air blows through the pipe - in the bottom and out the top. This is not true. The column of air is put in motion in a similar way as blowing across the top of a soda bottle to make a sound.

It's hard to convince church officials how bad it is for the heat (or cooling) to fluctuate from day to day. Theoretically, the organ should come into tune (if it had been tuned well) when the temperature returns to the same. But it takes a long time for the temp to settle into the often remote or closed off organ chambers. Cranking the heat up at 7 AM will not do it.

The organist should make known that absolutely no touching any part of the organ is allowed, no dusting, no vacuuming, no holly hung on the pipes, no furniture polish or glitter sprayed on the pipes. As was mentioned, the pipes are fragile and easily deformed, as many contain a lot of lead. One American organ company about 20 years ago had a problem with the biggest pipes of its 16' metal ranks collapsing under their own weight.

Good tuners are rare. Don't let anyone into your organ chambers unless they come highly recommended with references.

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pearl B4 Swine:
Don't let anyone into your organ chambers unless they come highly recommended with references.

Good advice in so many ways ... [Razz]

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I'd've been more distracted by working out how the card was floating on air all that time!

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Obviously a leak from one of the organ pipes keeping it up...

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
amber.
Ship's Aspiedestra
# 11142

- Posted      Profile for amber.   Email amber.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
quote:
Originally posted by Pearl B4 Swine:
Don't let anyone into your organ chambers unless they come highly recommended with references.

Good advice in so many ways ... [Razz]
This is very true [Big Grin]
Posts: 5102 | From: Central South of England | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't believe someone asked a question that INVITES me to indulge my inner organ geek!

A lot of it has been covered already, but I will clarify a few things. Although shapes, form and timbre vary from stop to stop there are two main types of pipe--flue pipes and reeds. The flue pipes-metal or wood-are basically whistles. They work as Pearl has said-the wind sheet coming from the mouth of the pipe sets the column of air in the pipe vibrating. When the air is warmer, the frequency of vibration is higher so the pitch is sharper. Gay Organ Grinder was correct to note the differences that temperature can cause, but had the flat/sharp effect reversed.

As a result, only the very largest pipes can actually be tuned with one's hands--we use tuning knives for most pipes because the heat from one's hands will change the temperature of the pipe and cause the pitch to change. These "knives" are really just bars of metal of various lengths and shape which allow one to manipulate whatever tuning mechanism a particular pipe may have. In the US, most will have stoppers or caps for stopped ranks and a sliding collar or scroll for open pipes. Stopped wooden pipes have a leathered stopper--usually tallowed--which can slide up or down. There are older organs which are "cone tuned". The pipes are cut dead length and the tuner has a tuning cone which can be used the spread or curve in the top of the pipe a bit to make it sharper or flatter. Cone tuned pipes do not move as much, but are not as practical for many American churches because our seasonal fluctuations cause too much change to the pitch.

Reed pipes generate their tone from a vibrating reed which is much less susceptible to temperature variations--though VERY susceptible to dirt and bug bodies. Although we are often called in just to "tune the reeds" the reeds usually hold their basic pitch much better than the flues--it is just easier (and therefore cheaper for the client) to move the few reed stops to match the flues. Most American reeds tune best on the wire which determines the vibrating length of the reed. Some reeds also have a scroll, but regular scroll tuning will destroy reeds pretty quickly unless they need just the barest amount of pitch change.

Except for the wooden pipes, changes in heat and humidity don't have a lot of effect on the pipes themselves (aside from making the tuning sound horrible). There are a lot of wood and leather components in organs, however, and they are more fussy. Extreme low humidity will cause an organ to have more mechanical issues--often making it unusable until adjustments have been made. A serious cold snap right after Christmas in Atlanta had us running all over north Georgia to address problems in instruments by a wide variety of builders. Once the weather returned to normal, so did our schedule.

While we don't ask churches to maintain the precise same temperature seven days a week, we do ask that they keep the temperature no colder than 65 (Fahrenheit) in the winter and no higher than 80 (Fahrenheit) in the summer. And Pearl is right--an instrument will take a while to adjust to the temperature. That's why you can't put the heat on half an hour before services and expect the organ to sound good for the first hymn. It is also why tuners get irate when the come to a church and the heat or AC hasn't been turned on. We remind churches when we make the appointment, then call the day before to remind them again. We still have churches (usually the same ones) which won't be ready for us when we arrive.

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tea gnome:
Could anyone tell me in the (RC) Sacrament of the Sick/ Last Rites, would it make a significant difference to the future prospects of someone's soul if they aren't able to take a final Eucharist?
A priest recently asked 'should he bring communion or just oil?' (words to that effect).
Equally would it have been very bad to say 'Bring both, and see when you get here'? I'm guessing there isn't a travel sized Eucharist you can whip out at a moment's notice without consequence.
It's not a situation I forsee arising again in a hurry, but I'm curious, and would like to be prepared in future.
TG

Tea Gnome, you might try posting this on the "Random Liturgical Questions" thread in Ecclesiantics. I think the regulars there might be able to help you.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Astro
Shipmate
# 84

- Posted      Profile for Astro   Email Astro   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the jokes thread there are jokes that seem to imply that Baptists do not drink alcohol, where does this come from?

It is not that I am objecting to the joke topics but rather they make as much sense as jokes about Baptist Ministers being celebate.

I have been involved in many Baptist churches and have never come across any objection to alcoholic drinks - wine and beer being regualrly brought to church social events - and even a church wine tasting as a fund raiser.

I know that Methodists had a tradition of not drinking alcohol at one time but there has never been any such tradition amoung Baptists. Even Rev Thomas Cook who started his travel company to give people a cheap alternative to drinking did not advocate a total ban.

--------------------
if you look around the world today – whether you're an atheist or a believer – and think that the greatest problem facing us is other people's theologies, you are yourself part of the problem. - Andrew Brown (The Guardian)

Posts: 2723 | From: Chiltern Hills | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Baptists in the US don't drink--or at least they haven't since the temperance movements of the 19th century. While some individuals are beginning to relax a bit, those who do still don't talk about it at church.

Wine tastings at the church would NOT go over well.

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Astro

I think if you went back a generation or so you would find the UK Baptists also tended to be tee-total. I say that because what is normally the culture in Congregationalism is often the culture in Baptist circles as well. I know for instance that Dore Union* Chapel was originally a tee-total institution.It was I think particularly an evangelical thing. In my fathers child hood it would have been the norm and you might still find reminders, e.g. no alcohol at church socials and no alcohol on the tombola stall (actually that is if they have a tombola stall, gambling being another prohibition). However it has been fading through out my fathers adulthood and some churches are now changing the regulations on the taking of wine.

A good sign of if a church has been tee-total is whether the communion wine is non-alcoholic or grape juice. If it is alcoholic then the chances are there is no history of tee-totalism.

Jengie

*Union means Congregational and Baptist i.e. belonging to both denominations at once.

[ 06. February 2010, 16:21: Message edited by: Jengie Jon ]

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hennah

Ship's Mother Hen
# 9541

- Posted      Profile for Hennah   Email Hennah   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Organ Builder:
I can't believe someone asked a question that INVITES me to indulge my inner organ geek!

Happy to oblige, OB , and thank you for the not-geeky-at-all-in-fact-very-enlightening info!

Hen

--------------------

Posts: 925 | From: The Henhouse, Beside The Seaside, Kent | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We got a second hand ikea corner sofa with white covers thinking that we would buy replacement covers at some point. However we aren't too keen on the colours (or price!) available.

I would like to dye the white covers. They are removable but they don't all fit in the washing machine at once, and I'm not even sure the basic bottom cover fits at all.

Are there places that will dye covers for you cheaply? I assume the laundrette near me won't be too pleased with me using their machines for a dye..!!

Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can I use the bath or would that end up with patchy dye and a dyed bath?!
Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Emma Louise: DO NOT, DO NOT use your tub for dying fabric! If you don't own one, go and purchase a galvanized tub - I mean this sort of thing. [Bonus: can be used for chilling bottled drinks for very casual summer parties [Big Grin] ] For God's sake don't ruin your bathtub dying fabric.

IMHO the smartest thing to do would be to go and get it dyed - let someone else with the proper equipment and dyes do it. At least check the costs of this first.

Posts: 2786 | From: the electrical field | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Astro:
In the jokes thread there are jokes that seem to imply that Baptists do not drink alcohol, where does this come from?

The Baptist church I attended in South London 30-35 years ago still had many teetotal members. The culture was changing rapidly. I recall a neighbouring Baptist minister commenting that the taboo on smoking was taking/had taken over from the taboo on alcohol.

[ 07. February 2010, 19:47: Message edited by: BroJames ]

Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Over lunch, we strted talking about word games, and the word "bunny" was mentioned. How did "rabbit" become "bunny"? Can't even see that it's derived from French, 'cos surely that's "lapin".

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Hennah

Ship's Mother Hen
# 9541

It comes from the Scottish bun, a hare or rabbit's tail.

--------------------

Tea gnome
Shipmate
# 9424

- Posted      Profile for Tea gnome     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It comes from the Scottish bun, a hare or rabbit's tail.

This is one of the things that the Ship is so good at - I never knew I wanted to know this, but now I do, I can't understand how not! Thank you Hennah and St Gwladys. [Big Grin]

Also thankyou Mamacita, I'm off to do that now.
TG

--------------------
Floating Fund!

cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Emma Louise:
We got a second hand ikea corner sofa with white covers thinking that we would buy replacement covers at some point. However we aren't too keen on the colours (or price!) available.

<snip>

Have you asked whether one of the many sewing shops on your nearest high street could copy your covers in a nicer colour? Then if they can and it won't cost the Earth you just need to find an adequate amount of fabric on sale in a fabric shop or department store.

Cattyish, spray dyed her kitchen blinds but they're a bit spotty.

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1794 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

Its a big corner sofa and would be a lot of sewing - certainly the ones online that offer that would be out of our budget. We have a friend with a big washing machine but to get the amount of dye needed to cover the amount of sofa covers its looking at being about £100. Grrr. Might be worth saving up in the future but not just yet!
Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What was the name of the company/ organisation that was doing Mystery Worshipper visits of churches, having got permission to use the name from SoF? Ta!
Posts: 3120 | From: Yorkshire | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A question for you doctor-type people. (Don't worry, I'm not asking for medical advice, just a question that occasionally goes through my mind in a "just wonder" kind of a way).

If my body's infection-fighting system is centralised, why is it that one part of the body can be prone to infection while other parts seem immune? In my case it's my right ear. I am for ever getting infections in my right ear but never in my left. (The eardrum in both cases is intact, but the right one did have to have a perforation repaired many moons ago... after a series of infections). If my mother got an infection anywhere, it was her throat, and she always described that as her weak spot. So, if the antibodies are in the blood and the blood is circulating round the body, how can one part be more vulnerable than another?

(There is almost certainly a really obvious answer to this but at the moment my logic is foiled by it)

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not a medical person, but I am familiar with the problem.

My guess about what is going on is that, although the germs from the last infection are gone, the tissues have not completely healed. This makes it easier for a new infection to take hold.

Just a guess.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hennah

Ship's Mother Hen
# 9541

Too add to the Mooing above -

"Weak spots" can also occur due to small structural differences in the body's anatomy. For example, in the ear, a slightly tighter curve in one ear than the other will mean that dirt etc can get trapped there more easily.

It could also be that the treatment for a previous problem cleared up the symptoms so the patient felt all better, but left a small pocket of nasty holed up in an outpost. This can happen in bacterial infections where a person feels better so thinks they don't need to take the last few days of antibiotics. If treatment is stopped early, the reserve troops can multiply and have an even bigger bacterial party than before. Patient thinks treatment hasn't worked, complains to medic. (Sorry, pet peeve!)

Or it could be that once a problem has occured, the scar tissue that forms is less like the original healthy tissue, and has less capability to produce the cytokines and interleukins that form part of the inflammatory response.

Or something. [Big Grin]

Hen

--------------------

Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
"Weak spots" can also occur due to small structural differences in the body's anatomy. For example, in the ear, a slightly tighter curve in one ear than the other will mean that dirt etc can get trapped there more easily.

That makes sense where, as with me, a weakness appears to be inherited from a parent - the inheritance is actually the small ear canal or whatever, and not specifically the weakness itself.

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Melangell
Shipmate
# 4023

- Posted      Profile for Melangell   Email Melangell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Any thoughts on how best to get rid of the smell of paint in newly made and painted cupboards? I've tried both Neutradol ™ and bowls of bicarbonate of soda in the ones which were made in December, neither of which has been totally effective. (My carpenter warns me not to leave the cupboard doors open, as this makes them more likely to warp.) He is making more cupboards now and as these are for tableware, I'd particularly like to get rid of the paint smell...

--------------------
Gwnewch y pethau bychein (Dewi Sant)
Do the little things (Saint David)

Posts: 367 | From: A bit of Wales in Surrey | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have heard vanilla works. You might give it a try.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Isn't halved onions a time-honoured solution?

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Earwig:
What was the name of the company/ organisation that was doing Mystery Worshipper visits of churches, having got permission to use the name from SoF? Ta!

Not at all sure, but could it be these folks?

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zoey

Broken idealist
# 11152

- Posted      Profile for Zoey   Email Zoey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Question regarding British TV licences:

Last time I was the sole tenant of a property (couple of years ago in early 2008), I told the TV licence guys that I didn't have a TV or any equipment for watching BBC programmes live as they are broadcast. At that time, I think you needed some really fancy computer equipment in order to watch TV live via a computer. I was watching TV programmes after they were broadcast, via the BBC iPlayer, at that time.

The past few months I have again become the sole tenant of a property. Again no TV, but watch a fair few programmes via iPlayer and Channel 4 On Demand. A couple of months ago the BBC started experimenting with live-streaming via the iPlayer. I caught half of one programme live, accidentally, through this and then watched another programme live (i.e. at the same time it was broadcast on telly) through this. I then realised that the BBC could use this to snare me into needing a TV licence, because the deal is that you don't need one so long as you don't use any equipment (TV or other equipment - computer, DVD, other fancy electronics) to watch TV *live as it is being broadcast*. I then stopped using the experimental live-streaming and reverted back to just using iPlayer to watch programmes after they've been broadcast on telly.

Today, I phoned the licencing people and told them that I don't have a telly. They may send enforcement officers to check this.

1) If I say, "I'm very sorry sirs and madams. On two occasions I watched the iPlayer live streaming, but I don't want to pay for a licence, so I'm not watching any live TV on iPlayer anymore, I promise, cross my heart and hope to die." - will they fine me £1,000. and take me to court for it?

2) If I say, "No sirs and madams, never watched a second of live telly on my computer, never ever, cross my heart and hope to die." - will they be able to check this (potentially finding that it's not true and then still takiing me to court and fining me £1,000)?

If push comes to shove, I'd rather pay for a TV licence than get in any trouble whatsoever with the law (I've got enough (health) history to explain during job applications already, without any minor, accidental brushes with law to explain also). However, if they are going to use the still-in-its-development-phase-very-experimental live iPlayer streaming to sting me, this seems somewhat sneaky and unfair. (I've always told TV licensing people - in good faith - that I don't have a telly or any equipment for watching live telly. I stopped watching the live iPlayer as soon as I realised, because I can live without live telly in order to save £100-odd quid a year.)

Any knowledge about this greatly appreciated. Ta.

--------------------
Pay no mind, I'm doing fine, I'm breathing on my own.

Posts: 3095 | From: the penultimate stop? | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Graven Image:
I have heard vanilla works. You might give it a try.

Its adding vanilla to the paint that works. That is from googling. It is a masker of the smell rather than an absorber. An alternative is peppermint essential oil.

Bowls of water and charcoal are both recommended as absorbers of paint smell in rooms. As is a bowl of water with chopped onions in.

The only one for destroying fumes is a lit candle, but I would not want to put that in a shut cupboard.

Not tried any!

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hare today
Shipmate
# 12974

- Posted      Profile for Hare today     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zoey:
Question regarding British TV licences:

Today, I phoned the licencing people and told them that I don't have a telly. They may send enforcement officers to check this.

1) If I say, "I'm very sorry sirs and madams. On two occasions I watched the iPlayer live streaming, but I don't want to pay for a licence, so I'm not watching any live TV on iPlayer anymore, I promise, cross my heart and hope to die." - will they fine me £1,000. and take me to court for it?

2) If I say, "No sirs and madams, never watched a second of live telly on my computer, never ever, cross my heart and hope to die." - will they be able to check this (potentially finding that it's not true and then still takiing me to court and fining me £1,000)?

If push comes to shove, I'd rather pay for a TV licence than get in any trouble whatsoever with the law (I've got enough (health) history to explain during job applications already, without any minor, accidental brushes with law to explain also). However, if they are going to use the still-in-its-development-phase-very-experimental live iPlayer streaming to sting me, this seems somewhat sneaky and unfair. (I've always told TV licensing people - in good faith - that I don't have a telly or any equipment for watching live telly. I stopped watching the live iPlayer as soon as I realised, because I can live without live telly in order to save £100-odd quid a year.)

Any knowledge about this greatly appreciated. Ta.

The licence people can't check whether you have watched live streaming tv on your computer so as long a you stear clear of the BBC News online type programmes and only watch recorded iPlayer or equivalent in the future you are in the clear. I take it that you have read This

--------------------
Ht

Come let us sing of a wonderful love (1933 MHB No 314)

Posts: 401 | From: Middle England | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zoey:

Question regarding British TV licences: Today, I phoned the licencing people and told them that I don't have a telly. They may send enforcement officers to check this.

2) If I say, "No sirs and madams, never watched a second of live telly on my computer, never ever, cross my heart and hope to die." - will they be able to check this (potentially finding that it's not true and then still taking me to court and fining me £1,000)? If push comes to shove, I'd rather pay for a TV licence than get in any trouble whatsoever with the law (

I've got enough (health) history to explain during job applications already, without any minor, accidental brushes with law to explain also). However, if they are going to use the still-in-its-development-phase-very-experimental live iPlayer streaming to sting me, this seems somewhat sneaky and unfair.

This is a question I've been asking myself. I don't have a TV, I do have computer and broadband, I could in theory be watching live TV via iPlayer. I deliberately chose a value broadband package, with a limited GB per month limit both on economy grounds, and on the grounds I don't use iPlayer, or watch many videos clips on line either. But, this is difficult to prove.

I have carefully read the TV Licensing information, and as far as I understand I am OK, but if it's going to be easy to see live TV accidentally, then it becomes a problem.

I am dreading the thought that this is going to turn into a licence on internet use, as well as TV use. I really do not want to be deprived of internet, just because I don't want to watch live TV and have better uses for my £142.00 per annum.

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
quote:
Originally posted by Earwig:

Not at all sure, but could it be these folks?
Thanks, but it wasn't... they were UK based I think...
Posts: 3120 | From: Yorkshire | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Earwig:

Drop a pm to Simon. I think he probably knows but isn't reading this thread.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Scots lass
Shipmate
# 2699

- Posted      Profile for Scots lass   Email Scots lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have just coloured my hair, and the damn stuff has run all over the back of my neck (I must not have dried it properly). Feel free to mock, has anyone got any suggestions for good ways to remove bright red from my skin - on top of the obvious scrubbing?!
Posts: 863 | From: the diaspora | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it henna or a regular commercial dye?
Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Scots lass
Shipmate
# 2699

- Posted      Profile for Scots lass   Email Scots lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Regular stuff. Mercifully, it appears to have come off the back of my neck, but my ears are not meant to be that shade of pink...
Posts: 863 | From: the diaspora | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is that irritating thing, advice after the fact. I keep a jar of vaseline, for rubbing round the hairline and the ears, before dyeing.

Other than that, wear a lot of green...

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tea gnome
Shipmate
# 9424

Flatmate frequently dyes her ears a peculiar shade of grey, so you're in good company at least.
I found for her a special kind of wet-wipe for exactly this situation (Called Undye your face or something). I vaguely recall I got it out of Morrisons, but I should think that a big Boots or Superdrug might do a similar thing.
The only thing is, she never mentioned if it worked or not....

--------------------
Floating Fund!

Tea gnome
Shipmate
# 9424

Did you get it off? Nail varnish remover or vodka might also be worth a go...

Fonts. Some people seem to have strong opinions on font use, some of which I understand, but much I don't. I need to make short information labels (for shelf contents) for work.
I'm thinking probably about size 16, they need to be easily read, there will be no pictures except an arrow. Lots of things at work get done in Comic sans MS, which I'm not totally convinced by. Any opinions?

--------------------
Floating Fund!

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tea gnome:
Fonts. Some people seem to have strong opinions on font use, some of which I understand, but much I don't. I need to make short information labels (for shelf contents) for work.
I'm thinking probably about size 16, they need to be easily read, there will be no pictures except an arrow. Lots of things at work get done in Comic sans MS, which I'm not totally convinced by. Any opinions?

Arial or Verdana are probably your best bet. They're clear, largish sans-serif typefaces which should be fine for shelf labels. If you want to go for something like Comic Sans but a little more elegant, there's Trebuchet or Maiandra. Avoid serif fonts, they'll look wrong for shelf labels.
Tea gnome
Shipmate
# 9424

Thank you [Smile]

--------------------
Floating Fund!

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  ...  33  34  35 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016