homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Ancient Geek - the computer thread (Page 23)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  ...  33  34  35 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Ancient Geek - the computer thread
Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

- Posted      Profile for Max.     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Foaming Draught:
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
Has anyone come used any good shared online diary applications?

I use Google Calendar together with Sunbird. Sunbird is the local client, useable offline.

But for the sort of problem which you're trying to solve, teams in different places knowing what's booked and what's happening, why not just use Twitter, create a team, everyone "follow" it on their mobiles/PCs, and use the @ facility to tweet to a specific person?

FD

Ditto - I also use Google Calendar, but with iCal and also with my iPhone Calendar (CalDAV)

Max.

--------------------
For the sake of His sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world.

Posts: 9716 | From: North Yorkshire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm thinking of getting a netbook, however there are so many on the market right now, has anyone experience of them and can recommend a good one?

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Foaming Draught
The Low in Low Church
# 9134

- Posted      Profile for Foaming Draught   Email Foaming Draught   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
I'm thinking of getting a netbook

I'm coming to the conclusion that a desktop together with a smart phone (in my case, iPhone, because Palm Pre isn't launched yet in Aus) is a better mix. There is nothing which a (larger, clumsier, more expensive after you allow for the incremental cost of having to have a mobile phone anyway) netbook can do which an iPhone, Android or Palm Pre doesn't do just as well.

--------------------
Australians all let us ring Joyce
For she is young and free

Posts: 8661 | From: Et in Australia Ego | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Foaming Draught
The Low in Low Church
# 9134

- Posted      Profile for Foaming Draught   Email Foaming Draught   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or wait (which I couldn't do for this add-on post because of the lying two mins, more like five secs, but whatever it is it's too short and whoever enforces it is a plonker) for Apple's tablet which will be formally announced soon and released before Christmas.

--------------------
Australians all let us ring Joyce
For she is young and free

Posts: 8661 | From: Et in Australia Ego | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Curiosity Killed ...

If you all have Google accounts then an spreadsheet in that would give you the facilities you want. People can be invited either as editors or viewers.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
There is nothing which a (larger, clumsier, more expensive after you allow for the incremental cost of having to have a mobile phone anyway) netbook can do which an iPhone, Android or Palm Pre doesn't do just as well.

Yes there is! They have proper keyboards. That's important.

(Also they are cheaper than the poshest phones, and their batteries last longer.)

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

- Posted      Profile for monkeylizard   Email monkeylizard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm thinking of getting a netbook, however there are so many on the market right now, has anyone experience of them and can recommend a good one?

I have a 9" Asus EEE PC with the flash memory (model 901). My Windows XP model has 12GB of storage and the Linux model has 20GB. That's more than enough for me. I do all work on that machine in the cloud. It comes with Star Office, but I just use Google docs instead. Fairly good battery life on this one too.

I did upgrade the RAM from 1GB to 2GB ($25US for an extra 1GB module)

XP takes a bit to get going, but it's fine after that. I'm considering switching over to a Linux distro though to try something different.

IMO, look for one with an Intel Atom processor.

--------------------
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. ~ Herbert Spencer (1820 - 1903)

Posts: 2201 | From: Music City, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

- Posted      Profile for Otter   Author's homepage   Email Otter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LutheranChik:
Now we're on a glossary page featuring all 26 letters of the alphabet at the top of the page, and h2-level alphabet headings within the glossary. I've tried to create internal linkages between these letters with the <a href="#id>content</a> coding, but nothing happens when I call it up on my browser and click on the letters at the top of the page. I have studied the other, successful internal link between the top of the page and the "Return to Top" links throughout the body of the page and cannot see any difference between what I did there and what I'm trying to do here. Can someone explain this to me like I'm five years old? I'm ready to become a Luddite.

First, clear your cache/browser history and reload the page(s). Sometimes that's all that's needed.

The A-Z on the top of the page are internal links down to the spots in the glossary, right? I only ask because if I'm reading right, the links you've done before are from lower on a page back to the top, and if I'm understanding right you want this current part to be two-way - which means links in both spots back to the others.

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data", YMMV, limited-time offer, IANAL, no purchase required, and the state of CA has found this substance to cause cancer in laboratory aminals

Posts: 1429 | From: Chicago, IL 'burbs | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Otter: The alphabet links go one way, from the top list of letters to the headings below.

I have a sense that I'm making this much harder than it has to be. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

- Posted      Profile for Otter   Author's homepage   Email Otter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok, no problem. Do you have the headers within the glossary wrapped in the proper div tags?

I don't have any of my html refs handy, but here's another page with internal links that works (just checked). The naming is a bit ugly, they were auto-magically generated with software. But the formatting is there.

Investigations Into the Group Behavior Dynamics of the Species Homo Techie-Nerdus

Feel free to copy and poke at the page source, I'm the copyright holder. [Smile]

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data", YMMV, limited-time offer, IANAL, no purchase required, and the state of CA has found this substance to cause cancer in laboratory aminals

Posts: 1429 | From: Chicago, IL 'burbs | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks!

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
quote:
There is nothing which a (larger, clumsier, more expensive after you allow for the incremental cost of having to have a mobile phone anyway) netbook can do which an iPhone, Android or Palm Pre doesn't do just as well.

Yes there is! They have proper keyboards. That's important.

(Also they are cheaper than the poshest phones, and their batteries last longer.)

Yes, that's why I want one, also one with a screen that is large enough to read comfortably.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
If you all have Google accounts then an spreadsheet in that would give you the facilities you want. People can be invited either as editors or viewers.

Jengie

The other wrinkle I forgot is that we are talking a lot of people who'd rather not be playing computers of those who need the information, too.

My current idea is along those lines - a spreadsheet for the information, that I can then filter and copy off what I need for distribution. Being idle, I'd rather work out a way of putting all the information in one place (rather than the current 5 or 6) and then using the spreadsheet to list out the sections required. And I can e-mail out what is needed or produce hard copies.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I presume that means that they would rather not be using computers? not that they'd rather not be using other people's computers as for Google you do it from your own computer.

I have done it to set a date with two other people with very full diaries. They just both happened to be on Googlemail so it worked.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hostly Biretta Donned

quote:
Or wait (which I couldn't do for this add-on post because of the lying two mins, more like five secs, but whatever it is it's too short and whoever enforces it is a plonker) for Apple's tablet which will be formally announced soon and released before Christmas.

Comments on the mechanisms and running of Our Illustrious Ship belong in The Styx ... please take them there.

Zappa
Heaven Host
(Doffs Hostly biretta)

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

- Posted      Profile for monkeylizard   Email monkeylizard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Yes, that's why I want one, also one with a screen that is large enough to read comfortably.

You'll need to go to a store and look at some. I can read the original 7" models just fine, while others struggle to read the newest 10" models.

I'm quite happy with my 9" EEE PC 901, but it's not my main computer.

--------------------
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. ~ Herbert Spencer (1820 - 1903)

The Revolutionist
Shipmate
# 4578

- Posted      Profile for The Revolutionist   Email The Revolutionist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by monkeylizard:
quote:

You'll need to go to a store and look at some. I can read the original 7" models just fine, while others struggle to read the newest 10" models.

I'm quite happy with my 9" EEE PC 901, but it's not my main computer.

I find that my 8.9" Acer Aspire One screen is fine for pretty much everything apart from desktop publishing and image editing, which is cumbersome on the small screen.

It's not just the size of the screen you need to consider: a bit of tweaking of the font face and size can really make the difference in getting the balance between ease of reading and fitting as much as possible on screen.

There are lots of things you can do to maximise the use of the smaller screen, such as autohiding the taskbar, and using small icons for taskbars, and making use of fullscreen modes in programmes like Firefox.

Virtual desktops, a standard feature in Linux, are really handy on a small screen, and you can get free software to add the same functionality in Windows.

Posts: 1296 | From: London | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
XP service pack 3.

I'm aware that I didn't install it when it was first offered because the word on the street was that it buggered your computer up. I've just turned down another invitation to download it: does this mean there's a new sp3 release which works, or is it the same old, same old?

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think it's been re-released. I think your PC will continue to nag you until you finally give in, regardless of whether you rejected it before. I'm currently having the same problem with IE8 -- I've rejected it at least half a dozen times, and have selected Hide This Update, but I still get nagged now and then.

XP SP3 is an important upgrade. You should let it install. Personally I have seen no problems associated with it, except that my antivirus software caused the upgrade to become unresponsive when I first installed it. Be sure your antivirus software is temporarily disabled before applying SP3.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

And be sure to immediately check for updates after installing SP3. You will likely find some critical hotfixes that you'll need with SP3, but don't with SP2.
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

Can anyone recommend any decent free software for recording video clips and TV off the net, e.g. from Youtube or BBC iPlayer?

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Try here. I've used it with good results.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Revolutionist
Shipmate
# 4578

- Posted      Profile for The Revolutionist   Email The Revolutionist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Can anyone recommend any decent free software for recording video clips and TV off the net, e.g. from Youtube or BBC iPlayer?

There are various Firefox extensions that will let you download embedded video from YouTube and similar sites. I use DownloadHelper. It doesn't work for iPlayer though, but Get_iplayer lets you download video from BBC iPlayer in formats that can be played in other video players, and is intended for systems that don't support Adobe Flash/AIR - it was originally created to give a way of using iPlayer on Linux, and still works better for me under Linux since Linux Flash is sluggish.

[ 11. August 2009, 12:15: Message edited by: The Revolutionist ]

monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

sweet! I'm making my 1st ever post from my Wii's Opera browser! g33ktast1c
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes. But does it have virus and spyware and privacy protection? That's what I'd like to know. I've never ever tried any password-accessible sites on Wii for that very reason either.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

That, and it takes forever to point at letters with the Wiimote. So the first will probably be the last.

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks. Also, I think you have little control over Nintendo possibly snooping via the web connection. Additionally, so far I've been unable to install standard add-ons such as Java and Flash or read pdfs, nor can you download or save anything. It serves as best as an emergency browser. The feature of zooming in and out though is rather neat, as is surfing on a possibly huge TV screen.

Regarding 'typing' with the Wiimote, there's a workaround: I've in fact connected an old USB keyboard to the Wii, which definitely helps.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Any Wikipedia freaks out there? I'm having problems editing a page. Please PM if you are any good at this!

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Kat in the Hat
Shipmate
# 2557

- Posted      Profile for The Kat in the Hat   Email The Kat in the Hat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just saw this & thought of you!
I'm sure I've read somewhere something similar, to do with internet or data transfer.

--------------------
Less is more ...

The Revolutionist
Shipmate
# 4578

quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
Thanks. Also, I think you have little control over Nintendo possibly snooping via the web connection. Additionally, so far I've been unable to install standard add-ons such as Java and Flash or read pdfs, nor can you download or save anything. It serves as best as an emergency browser. The feature of zooming in and out though is rather neat, as is surfing on a possibly huge TV screen.

Regarding 'typing' with the Wiimote, there's a workaround: I've in fact connected an old USB keyboard to the Wii, which definitely helps.

My solution for surfing the net on my HD ready tv is to connect my netbook to the tv, with wireless keyboard and mouse. The Firefox extension NoSquint is great for easy zooming of websites to a readable level. The netbook sits neatly under the tv with the lid closed, and it's great for stuff like watching BBC iPlayer, including iPlayer HD.
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Kat in the Hat:
I just saw this & thought of you!
I'm sure I've read somewhere something similar, to do with internet or data transfer.

Not sure if that was related to my post above or not. I read the same article and updated this page accordingly. A strange piece of synchronicity.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This afternoon, I typed a post, but I had to log on before posting. Normally speaking, I never log off, so wondered if it was because I hadn't posted for a while?

This is most definitely not an SoF problem! am having some difficulty with one of the Dolphin Supernova 9 software functions. It does not happen on Ship of Fools! So I am wondering if you can tell me, please, what this web site is so that Dolphin Tech Support can, perhaps, work out why the problem occurs on various other message boards ... but not on SoF!.

(Briefly: The AVF (auto virtual focus) makes a 'box' round a line which the voice reads. I can cursor up or down but this is working slowly. If I use the middle mouse button and scroll down a page, the text moves up, but the 'box' stays where it was, then after a second or two 'jumps' to the line it was on. I could not access the internet without Supernova, but I am used to it working efficiently!)

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

I don't know if this will help or not, but I know that Internet Explorer will keep me logged in here forever until I clear my browsing history and choose to clear the stored passwords, or maybe it's the form data. Either way, I won't be logged out until I clear them.

--------------------

SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I don't know if this will help or not, but I know that Internet Explorer will keep me logged in here forever until I clear my browsing history and choose to clear the stored passwords, or maybe it's the form data. Either way, I won't be logged out until I clear them.

Thank you. Yes, I delete temp int files but am always very careful not to delete passwords! I have stayed logged in to all other sites I go to, so it was probably just one of those things.

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

I have a question about transferring recorded TV programmes from a DVD recorder on to my PC. I have a DVD recorder with dual hard drive and DVD player/recorder. But is it possible to connect the DVD recorder to my PC to transfer recorded programmes for safe storage, or would I have to burn them on to a disk, transfer to the PC and copy on to the PC hard drive or to an external drive?

--------------------

monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

So your DVD recorder is working like a DVR (aka TiVo) in that the recordings are on the hard drive, and it also has a DVD writer in it?

[ 05. October 2009, 17:21: Message edited by: monkeylizard ]

--------------------

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

quote:
So your DVD recorder is working like a DVR (aka TiVo) in that the recordings are on the hard drive, and it also has a DVD writer in it?

Yes, that's right but the hard drive is filling up. What I usually do is copy the stuff I want to keep on to a DVD-R but I have so many of them, if it's possible I was going to get a big external drive and use that to store them straight off the "Tivo" (it's not) than putting them on a DVD.

--------------------

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

I should have added: this is the link to the manufacturer of the player.

http://www.lge.com/uk/tv-audio-video/video/LG-digital-tv-recorder-RHT397H.jsp

--------------------

monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

That unit doesn't have an eSATA (External Serial ATA) port on the back, so you won't be able to plug an external hard drive directly into it.

But it will write to a DVD-RW. You could dump shows onto a DVD-RW and then copy from the disk to your computer harddrive. then keep using the same DVD-RW disk over and over.

Another option would be to get a TV Input card (aka "video capture card") for your PC, assuming it's a regular PC and not a laptop. Then you would connect the LG box directly to the PC instead of the TV. The TV Input card would probably have software used for recording the incoming signal.

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Sparrow: according to the link, the machine (if it's the one you got) appears to have a USB port:
quote:
An advanced USB [2.0] interface transfers raw data between computer and optical drive at rapid speeds.
In addition, it doesn't seem to allow the burning of DVD+/-RW discs, i.e. rewritable ones, which would mean you'd need to use DVD+/-R, writable only once, and you have plenty of those already. (You can always try.)

If there's a USB port, however, you can connect the machine to your computer, or, in the worst case, at least transfer data to a USB stick of sufficient capacity, such as 16GB - which is still considerably more than you can put on any one DVD.

I couldn't say if it'd accept direct connection to an external HDD, so you'd have to try that out - sometimes there's a maximum disc size they recognise. An external harddisk drive is always handy, especially as one should regularly backup important computer files, and it's certainly worth a try.

Other than that, I'd agree with monkeylizard.

--------------------

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

Thanks for this information - it looks like I'm just going to have to experiment a bit. But I'm pretty sure the unit does have an USB connection so that's a start.

--------------------

monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

Wes and I seem to be providing conflicting information....

He's right about the USB. I missed it because I was looking at the back panel and it's apparently located on the front or side. Oops.

But I still think I'm right about the DVD-RW:

Recordable Disc
DVD-RAM
DVD+RW/+R
DVD+R
DVD-RW/-R

Nevertheless, Wes' idea with a USB stick or cable would be better than rewritable DVDs.

[ 06. October 2009, 13:15: Message edited by: monkeylizard ]

--------------------

BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm running a couple of Macintosh laptops and a BT HomeHub v.2. I'd like users always to be asked for a password either for access to the wireless network when joining it, or when using the browser (Safari) to access the internet. Can anyone help?
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

quote:
Wes and I seem to be providing conflicting information....

He's right about the USB. I missed it because I was looking at the back panel and it's apparently located on the front or side. Oops.

But I still think I'm right about the DVD-RW:

Recordable Disc
DVD-RAM
DVD+RW/+R
DVD+R
DVD-RW/-R

Nevertheless, Wes' idea with a USB stick or cable would be better than rewritable DVDs.

Well no luck so far ... the unit will detect a USB stick and read the contents, but it won't transfer files on the unit to the USB.

When I connected my PC to the unit with a USB cable, they didn't detect each other.

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Sparrow, I'm currently reading through the manual - which can be found on the LG website --> support --> manual; TinyURL direct link here.

More later.

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Ok - the manual says indeed:

quote:
The contents on a disc or HDD cannot be moved or copied to a USB Flash Drive.
Which only leaves copying onto DVD+RW or DVD-RW, as the other outputs might be difficult to connect to your average computer (see manual p. 42).

You can simply always add titles to a DVD-RW until it's full, whereas you can't to DVD+RW, and got to put everything on there in one go, except you re-format it and then of course lose all information you had on there. But both seem ok for transferring films to your computer.

Hope that helps. [Smile]

--------------------

monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Speechless, eh? [Razz]

--------------------

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

Thanks Wesley, i'll look at this when I get home tonight. I wasn't aware the manual was on line, I've been struggling with the little booklet that came with the unit that isn't much help!

[Smile]

--------------------

Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

- Posted      Profile for Loquacious beachcomber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can anyone advise me whether this will be a faster computer, compared to my 6 year old Compaq Presario, with a 15" CRT screen?

IBM Think center S51
Intel P4 running at 3.2Ghz, 1GB RAM memory, 80GB hard drive, DVD Read (cannot create DVD's but can read CD's and DVD's), Floppy, Ethernet 10/100 for direct connection to cable Internet, windows XP Pro

My current computer has one drive with 4 GB and one with 40; the one with 4 is 80% full and the drive with 40 GB is 55% full.

The moniter I am looking at getting is:
Philips 190VW9FB 19" Widescreen LCD Monitor - 5ms, 1400x900, 16:10, 800:1

Does this seem like a good upgrade that will be a great deal faster?

--------------------
TODAY'S SPECIAL - AND SO ARE YOU (Sign on beachfront fish & chips shop)

Posts: 5954 | From: Southeast of Wawa, between the beach and the hiking trail.. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  ...  33  34  35 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016