homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Ancient Geek - the computer thread (Page 11)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  33  34  35 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Ancient Geek - the computer thread
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
I occasionally receive e-mails with "docx" or "xlsx" suffixes, which I cannot open in Office 2003.

There is a free option available for Office 2003 to convert .docx files to .doc files, after which they can be freely edited (although obviously they will not retain any specific docx features, notably XML). [...]
[ETA I think the Office add-on is called a "document converter" or some such]

Pigwidgeon, it's called "FileFormatConverters.Exe" and is available for download from Microsoft here.

I got this from a prompt the first time I tried to open a Word 2007 document using Word 2003.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lumpy da Moose
Shipmate
# 9038

- Posted      Profile for Lumpy da Moose   Email Lumpy da Moose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hazey*Jane:
I'm also interested in the XP vs Vista question. I need to buy a laptop in the next 12 months, and although I'm in no desperate hurry otherwise, I'm partly inclined to get a move on so as to get one with XP before they stop offering it. Still, I'm not quite sure from Dell's site how to get them to sell me a laptop with XP unless I pretend to be a small business.

Anyhoo, some more questions:
1. If you want to wipe a hard drive, before you pass a computer on to someone else, how do you do it? I am vaguely aware that deleting stuff isn't enough - stuff can still be recoverable. I also seem to remember reading something about there being some kind of wiping process that you should do seven times in order to make sure everything's off there, but that may have been an article in Pagan PC User.
[Confused]
2. Can anyone recommend one of those websites that enables you to email/transfer great big files from user to user via the web?

Thanks

Hazey

To answer your question about Dell and XP, as I was shopping for my friend, I think both Dell and HP offered ONE model (generally not very customizable) that you could still get with XP on it. It is usually a mid-line model (in Dell's case an Inspirion with a 15.4" screen) that has few frills on it. I believe you're in the British Isles, yes? They may not be offering one for international shipment, I don't know.

If you had to, you could probably finagle a way to get a small business laptop ordered with XP. Get your local church to collaborate with you, or a friend in business, or through your job. There's ways around that; I've done it for others (tho' not internationally).

As for sending those large files, try this .

As for wiping a hard drive: unless you plan to give the thing away to less than savory people, a simple format will do the job. Sometimes if you get a new HD, there's a floppy or CD that has a brace of utilities on it. You can actually give a thorough wiping by running the utility that writes 0's to the entire drive (I had to do that once). A wipe and reinstall of the O/S would be more than adequate. Or just wipe it and let the O/S be someone else's problem (give them the disks if you still have them). Wiping it seven times is only necessary if you have NASA secrets or OSA info on there, and if that's the case, they would probably do it FOR you!

--------------------
member, Our Ladye of the Bandwidthe and All Angels

Posts: 1035 | From: Gulf Coast, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Hazey*Jane

Ship's Biscuit Crumbs
# 8754

- Posted      Profile for Hazey*Jane   Email Hazey*Jane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the advice. I am UK based, but I'#m after something a bit more oomphy than an Inspiron - something more like the Latitude/XPS models.

As I don't work for MI6, I'll follow your advice and not go for the 7-times dance of the blank hard drives. But how do I actually go about formatting it once - sorry to be dim.

Posts: 4266 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This web page should give you enough info to format it.

Please note you will have to install an OS afterwards and you may need to format in a specific form to do that.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lumpy da Moose
Shipmate
# 9038

- Posted      Profile for Lumpy da Moose   Email Lumpy da Moose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hazey*Jane:
Thanks for the advice. I am UK based, but I'#m after something a bit more oomphy than an Inspiron - something more like the Latitude/XPS models.

As I don't work for MI6, I'll follow your advice and not go for the 7-times dance of the blank hard drives. But how do I actually go about formatting it once - sorry to be dim.

As for getting a laptop with XP-- I don't think you can in the better versions. I got an XPS about 10 days ago and it came with the hated Vista. But, I have no problems when it comes to installing an operating system as I do IT work for the company I work for. Since Dell was kind enough to give me all the Vista install media and drivers, I wiped what I had here with impunity and did a complete XP reinstall.

I DID have trouble finding the drivers for this XPS in XP versions, but I managed to do it. I doubt that you're interested in doing all that, you just want it to work, with XP. The Latitude, which I think is a business-oriented laptop may be available with XP, but again, that's through the small business division. Poke around on their website, or give them a call.

As for formatting, the advice given in that previous post is a good start.

--------------------
member, Our Ladye of the Bandwidthe and All Angels

Posts: 1035 | From: Gulf Coast, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My 4-5 year old laptop is fundamentally very sound but (as I've mentioned before) the keyboard is wearing out, and there seems to be a dodgy connection with the display.

Is there any chance that I would be able to get hold of a new casing - including display and keyboard - and transfer the gubbins from the inside? If so, where would I look for such a thing?

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Drifting Star:
My 4-5 year old laptop is fundamentally very sound but (as I've mentioned before) the keyboard is wearing out, and there seems to be a dodgy connection with the display.

Is there any chance that I would be able to get hold of a new casing - including display and keyboard - and transfer the gubbins from the inside? If so, where would I look for such a thing?

1. yes (providing you are very handy)
2. ebay

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My venerable Epson Stylus Photo 750 inkjet printer is finally on its way out after about 9 years of use, and I need to replace it. I would like to get a networkable replacement, but otherwise I'm looking pretty much for a like for like item. I am completely boggled at the range of choice available in the under £200 (say under $450) price range. I think I am heading towards a HP DeskJet 6940. Can anyone help me with what issues I ought to be thinking about in terms of cost of replacement inks, useability etc. etc. (I am running Mac OS X 10.4.11)
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BroJames:
My venerable Epson Stylus Photo 750 inkjet printer is finally on its way out after about 9 years of use, and I need to replace it. I would like to get a networkable replacement, but otherwise I'm looking pretty much for a like for like item. I am completely boggled at the range of choice available in the under £200 (say under $450) price range. I think I am heading towards a HP DeskJet 6940. Can anyone help me with what issues I ought to be thinking about in terms of cost of replacement inks, useability etc. etc. (I am running Mac OS X 10.4.11)

I have an HP PSC 1610 - which they don't make now even though I only bought it 2 years ago. It scans, prints and photocopies very well, and was under £100. I recently bought an HP C5280 (also prints, scans and photocopies) for my mum-in-law, and we were both very happy with it.

The C6280 is networkable, and is £100. We find that the scanning and photocopying bit of our printer is fantastically useful.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've got an HP1317 and my daughter (away at university) has a F380, both of which we have found really useful and are both scanner, printer, photocopiers. The cartridge replacement is not cheap, but you can often find deals (3 for the price of 2) or equivalents that work well.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for all the help earlier - I've just ordered a new XP machine which has 4x the memory, twice the speed and 3x the hard drive of this one. For just over half the price.

It actually comes with Vista, but the techs are installing XP for me. The cost is the same...

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Nats
Shipmate
# 2211

- Posted      Profile for Nats   Author's homepage   Email Nats   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Although I'm an IT geek (just passed an exam to prove it this morning as well! [Big Grin] ) I can't help my Mum on this one. She has XP and broadband, and wants to be able to send a fax from her PC.... Anyone know any good utilities for this? I can virtualise a server but can't send a fax... [Hot and Hormonal] ....

--------------------
life is purple

Posts: 376 | From: Swindon, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nats:
Although I'm an IT geek (just passed an exam to prove it this morning as well! [Big Grin] ) I can't help my Mum on this one. She has XP and broadband, and wants to be able to send a fax from her PC.... Anyone know any good utilities for this? I can virtualise a server but can't send a fax... [Hot and Hormonal] ....

I've never tried sending a fax so I don't know what works and what doesn't - but in Word there is an option (File|Send to ...) to send to Recipient using a Fax Modem or an Internet Fax Service. Presumably if you want to send a printed doc, you'd scan it first and insert it into the document.

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Badger Lady
Shipmate
# 13453

- Posted      Profile for Badger Lady   Email Badger Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK. I have a Samsung ML-2250 Laser Printer. I also have a ibook G4, with Mac OS X 10.4. I would like to two to get along famously and to be able to send documents to print from computer to printer.

However, this is proving problematic. At first I was unable to get the computer to recgonise the printer's existence at all. I have looked on the Samsung website and there is no driver for my make of printer compatible with Mac OS X. I tried downloading another driver found through google, this meant I was able to add the printer, but I could not print out documents (they came out as nonsense typescript)

Is there any way around this or do I have to accept that my computer and my printer have irreconcilable difference and the only solution is to replace the printer with a younger, sexier model?

BL [Help]

Posts: 340 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

There are two issues here, a hardware and a software one.

Let's start with the software.

In Windows XP, go to Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Communications -> Fax -> Send fax (OR: Fax console, to set up a fax layout)

However, here cometh the hardware issue: You will not normally send a fax via your broadband connection, but will use a regular, conventional phoneline. In most computers, there's a built-in conventional modem where you can plug in your regular landline - however, please don't forget to use a splitter, i.e. a special plug for your phone or fax line, once you have broadband. (Chances are high that your landline phone is already plugged into one - one line will go from the phone socket to your phone, and the other to your broadband modem or router.)

An alternative, which is what I'm using, is an external e.g. 56k fax (and possibly voice) modem which you connect to your computer's serial port. I'm still using a brilliant fax/voice modem which now serves as my answerphone and records all incoming voice and fax messages. - Frankly, I'm not quite sure if you can receive faxes with an internal modem too when the computer is turned off, that's why I chose the external method.

I use 'PhoneTools' software, which came with my external USRobotics modem some years back and works nicely, but there'll be other decent programs available if you don't want to use XP's fax console.

Hope this helps. [Smile]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Paul W.

Shipmate
# 1450

- Posted      Profile for Paul W.   Author's homepage   Email Paul W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

As an alternative to setting up a modem connection, there's a bunch of websites that let you send faxes via the internet. I did a Google search for online fax uk which brought up a load of possible solutions. The ones I looked at seemed to be subscription based services, so probably better for if she wanted to send them often, but if you look around you might find something more suitable to home users sending the odd one.

Paul W

--------------------
"It's just a ride" - Bill Hicks

Blog
Flickr

Posts: 2835 | From: Leeds, UK | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[ETA to Badger Lady]

The other alternative, if this is likely to be anything more than very occasional, is of course a fax machine.

I used to use Wesley's 56k external modem solution but, short of two phone lines, ran into endless problems of misidentifying incoming calls and so on. In addition, the fax serves as a quick occasional copier and is much better for sending hardcopy documents rather than having to scan them. I got a basic-model Samsung for about 50€, I think.

[ 10. June 2008, 21:06: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

Aagh. I mean to Nats. Apologies.

--------------------

Nats
Shipmate
# 2211

- Posted      Profile for Nats   Author's homepage   Email Nats   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks folks..... I don't think modem will be the way to go - Mum is in Japan and on wireless and where the computer is there isn't a phone line etc etc etc - and I can't be there to set it up for her! I really don't think that's going to happen - though I agree that would be the easiest (and is what I would do if it was me! Neither is a physical fax - she's an arty type and won't get a printer because "there isn't anywhere to hide it and it's ugly"....! (She has said that she will need to eventually - I wish she'd hurry Just a printer would mean she could print the fax and take it to the local corner shop where there is a fax...!!) I was hoping someone would have tried one of the web based places and recommend one.... it won't be often so a monthly subscription won't do it but a "10 faxes for this amount of money" sort of deal would be fine. I don't know if she'd have to use a Japanese one but I hope not - most services like that in Japan are useless! So I guess the question is

"Has anyone used an on line faxing service that they can recommend??"

--------------------
life is purple

Posts: 376 | From: Swindon, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I seem to be overrun with virus protectors and they want me to get more.

I've been offline for months and I've had to allow a lot of updating since my computer is up again. Fine. As I understood it, my pc is currently protected by AVG and the virus protection that comes with ATT. Every morning I have updates coming in from AGV. Then it scans and generally says things are fine.

Suddenly a few minutes ago, I got a big pop-up claiming to be from something like XP Virus Protector or some such. Oh no! Oh no! [Eek!] It says I have NO virus protection! I have 69 viruses (most of which seem to actually be cookies)! I have have to download their stuff NOW!

I feel like I've been telewphoned by a cold-caller. I have no idea whether this crap is from anyone official or scaremongers who want to force something down my throat. (It's popped up yet again: "Warning! 69 infections found!!!" At the top "XP Antivirus 2008- Threats detected")

How the hell do I know if this isn't someone looking for an excuse to burrow into my computer? If I am subscribed to AVG or McAffee or Norton, aren't I protected?

My instinct is to put on the brakes. [Paranoid] What does anyone else think?

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Badger Lady:
OK. I have a Samsung ML-2250 Laser Printer....

Badger Lady, I'm sure this is do-able, but except for true afficionados printer installation is something of a black art!

I think what you need to do is download the Samsung ML-2550 Mac OS ppd file from this page.

When you have downloaded it it unpacks as a folder containing two archive files. You should double click the file OSX.sit. It unpacks into a folder called OSX containing different language versions of a file called ML-2550. The English language version is ML-2550(eng) these files are installers and when you double click the file it launches an installer. This will install the necessary file in the correct place on your system.

After that you should be able to use the Printer Setup Utility to add your printer to your system in the usual way.

HTH do come back to me if you hit a snag.

(Once you are up and running you can trash most of the stuff in the download. The only thing it might be worth hanging on to is the ML-2550(eng) installer.)

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
I seem to be overrun with virus protectors and they want me to get more. [...]

It's popped up yet again: "Warning! 69 infections found!!!" At the top "XP Antivirus 2008- Threats detected")

How the hell do I know if this isn't someone looking for an excuse to burrow into my computer? If I am subscribed to AVG or McAffee or Norton, aren't I protected? [...]

Your instinct is correct. It's a scam. If you google 'XP Antivirus 2008', you'll find a lot of warnings, such as here.

How to uninstall hints to follow shortly.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Lyda*Rose:

You might be able to get rid of it by using the very reliable, well-known free Spybot S&D anti-spyware and anti-adware, link here. Choose any one of the mirror sites to download. They're safe. Installation instructions to be found within the software, i.e. it should guide you step by step for both installation and scanning process.

However, as you already have AVG Antivirus, which is generally considered quite good, you could also get free AVG AntiSpyware from here and run it. I find it a rather helpful addition. (It says 'paid version', but I believe you can still use it, albeit not with all the features.)

A third option is to momentarily upgrade your AVG AntiVirus to a free 15-day trial version of AVG Internet Security, which includes an anti-spyware scannner and removal option, see link here.

Whatever you decide, it is good practice to scan at least once weekly for viruses and spyware/adware.

Good luck with it!

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, Wesley. You're right. A quick google showed me that I've been attacked. I'll give your links a shot. Also when I looked around, someone mentioned a program called Spyzooka which they claimed was very complete in ridding a computer of this crap. Have you heard of it and if it's any good?

Thanks, again!

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Badger Lady
Shipmate
# 13453

- Posted      Profile for Badger Lady   Email Badger Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
OK. I have a Samsung ML-2250 Laser Printer....

Badger Lady, I'm sure this is do-able, but except for true afficionados printer installation is something of a black art!
Being a very sweet and innocent sort of girl (who has always found the necessary software easily online for new printers), the darker realms of printer installation is a place I've never been to before. Not sure I like it.

quote:
I think what you need to do is download the Samsung ML-2550 Mac OS ppd file from this page.

When you have downloaded it it unpacks as a folder containing two archive files. You should double click the file OSX.sit. It unpacks into a folder called OSX containing different language versions of a file called ML-2550. The English language version is ML-2550(eng) these files are installers and when you double click the file it launches an installer. This will install the necessary file in the correct place on your system.

After that you should be able to use the Printer Setup Utility to add your printer to your system in the usual way.

Thanks so much for taking the time to do this. I found the files and downloaded them without a hitch.

quote:
HTH do come back to me if you hit a snag.
Well you did ask.... the printer, whilst recognised and added in the set up utility, will still only printer 6 blank pages and one page of nonsense when I send a document to print. [Waterworks]

The driver you recommended is for the printer ML 2550, and my printer is 2250. I don't know if this is the cause of the problem.

BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

Sorry, my bad. I didn't read your printer number carefully enough. I think it may still be do-able, but I need more time to follow it through as I ma currently wrestling with my own printer issues. In the meantime you may as well delete the printer I just asked you to install. [Frown] [Hot and Hormonal]
Badger Lady
Shipmate
# 13453

quote:
Sorry, my bad. I didn't read your printer number carefully enough. I think it may still be do-able, but I need more time to follow it through as I ma currently wrestling with my own printer issues. In the meantime you may as well delete the printer I just asked you to install. [Frown] [Hot and Hormonal]

No problem. I'm more than grateful for your help with this [Overused] Best of luck with your own printer issues. I'm not sure wrestling it, even assuming you win such a gladiatorial encounter, will ensure it's co-operation though. [Biased]
markprice81
Shipmate
# 13793

- Posted      Profile for markprice81     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hoping for a bit of help here. My fiancee has just got a new laptop with Vista on it and whenever we shut the lid and reopen (or put it to sleep), we just get a black screen. I have tried googling and installed this hotfix which seems to be the only solution to the problem I could find. The laptop can be found here (we had an extra GB of ram added, so it now has 2GB). I am a ubuntu / apple user and so do not have much experience with windows in general.

Any help appreciated,

Mark

Posts: 126 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

quote:
Originally posted by markprice81:
Hoping for a bit of help here. My fiancee has just got a new laptop with Vista on it and whenever we shut the lid and reopen (or put it to sleep), we just get a black screen. I have tried googling and installed this hotfix which seems to be the only solution to the problem I could find. The laptop can be found here (we had an extra GB of ram added, so it now has 2GB). I am a ubuntu / apple user and so do not have much experience with windows in general.

Any help appreciated,

Mark

At the risk of teaching you to suck eggs... are you used to a laptop turning itself back on when you open the lid?

I've changed the power saving settings on my lapdog (running xp) so that it goes to sleep quite quickly. When you open it up, you have to press the power button to wake it back up. I'm guessing that if you're not used to doing this - this is my first laptop, so I don't think it's unusual - you might think it's broken. Change the power saving settings and see if that makes a difference!

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

quote:
quote:

No problem. I'm more than grateful for your help with this [Overused] Best of luck with your own printer issues. I'm not sure wrestling it, even assuming you win such a gladiatorial encounter, will ensure it's co-operation though. [Biased]
OK I've had a look at this and there are some pretty easy ways which might get it to work if you've got time for a bit of trial and error. According to this thread on the OpenPrining User Forum the driver for the ML-2150 works well. That can be downloaded from this page on Samsung's site. I'm fairly sure the one you want is ML-2150 Mac PPD_OS X (ver.1.0), but it might just be the driver specified for OS X 10.3. Once you've downloaded it then you need to go through the same process as you did with the ML-2550 driver.

If that doesn't work or doesn't work well then, as you will see from the OpenPrinting thread, some people have found the generic PCL4 driver works well - for text at least. When you click the Add Printer in the Printer Setup Utility these can be accessed from the Print Using drop-down menu (which shows in grey the words "Please select a driver or printer model"). Choose the category 'Generic' and then select the driver you want. The ML-2250 is actually a PCL6 printer so if the PCL4 driver works then possibly one of the higher level ones (PCL5 or 6) might also work. Good luck [Smile]

[ 13. June 2008, 09:50: Message edited by: BroJames ]

markprice81
Shipmate
# 13793

- Posted      Profile for markprice81     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
At the risk of teaching you to suck eggs... are you used to a laptop turning itself back on when you open the lid?

I've changed the power saving settings on my lapdog (running xp) so that it goes to sleep quite quickly. When you open it up, you have to press the power button to wake it back up. I'm guessing that if you're not used to doing this - this is my first laptop, so I don't think it's unusual - you might think it's broken. Change the power saving settings and see if that makes a difference!

In answer to your first question, only on my powerbook which works fine.
[Big Grin]

Having looked at the options, it turns out hibernation is the problem. It can sleep fine, and I have just changed the settings so that lid closure now sends it to sleep. This means it can be woken up by a press of the power button, but it is more of a workaround than a fix.

Mark

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Back when I were a young sprog of 23, computer "green" screens would, if left open to the same image (loosely so called), get "burn-in" where the screen forever contained a faint image of what was constantly being beamed. To prevent this, the "screensaver" was (eventually) invented: something that either blanked the entire screen, or everything but a small image that constantly moved around, thereby preventing burn-in.

We still have screensavers, but are modern flat screens (like a laptop screen or those newfangled desktop thingees) even susceptible to burn-in?

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor, emphasis mine:
I've changed the power saving settings on my lapdog (running xp) so that it goes to sleep quite quickly. When you open it up, you have to press the power button to wake it back up.

I know you write sci-fi but I find this concept worrying.

--------------------

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
We still have screensavers, but are modern flat screens (like a laptop screen or those newfangled desktop thingees) even susceptible to burn-in?

My understanding is that LCD displays can potentially suffer from pixel burn-out, but it's at a much slower incidence than the old cathode ray tube burn-in. I suspect that screensavers are largely vestigial elements now.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor, emphasis mine:
I've changed the power saving settings on my lapdog (running xp) so that it goes to sleep quite quickly. When you open it up, you have to press the power button to wake it back up.

I know you write sci-fi but I find this concept worrying.
Rofl. I can't remember how it started being called a lapdog, but it's even called that on my local network.

(yes, I have a local network [Cool] )

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

markprice81
Shipmate
# 13793

quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor

Doesn't everyone? I was mightily impressed when I managed to connect my PS3 straight up and started streaming films within a matter of minutes.

Mark

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

quote:
Originally posted by markprice81:
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor

Doesn't everyone? I was mightily impressed when I managed to connect my PS3 straight up and started streaming films within a matter of minutes.
PS3s are built to connect. Unlike Windows... I used Network magic and succeeded in minutes where hours of fiddling with the ironically-named Network Wizard had failed.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

I've just downloaded the brandnew Firefox 3.0 browser, from here (link), for the UK English version and Windows. For other versions, languages and systems, see linked page, centre right.

Impressive, although not all add-ons seem to work with it yet - might have to give some a miss, at least temporarily, until they've been updated too. Fiddling around now with my new toy. [Big Grin]

What others are thinking of Firefox 3.0? [Cool]

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

My son is complaining that half his video links don't work any more.

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Interesting, Euty. Would this be flash videos?

Folks, I am seriously impressed. Webpages load incredibly faster than before! (I'm on broadband, but feel I'd like to try with a conventional 56k modem too though, for emergencies, but suppose it might be similar.) Seriously, dude!

I can report that the following add-ons are ok now:
  • Adblock Plus
  • CustomizeGoogle
  • Flashblock
  • IE tab
  • McAfee SiteAdvisor

Not compatible is ATM: RealPlayer Browser Record Plugin, which is rather a setback, as it makes recording e.g. flash videos off webpages with RealPlayer difficult.

One cool feature is in the status bar (that's the one at the bottom of the browser) where it shows how many files you're currently downloading and the remaining time for them. Left-clicking on this brings up the 'Downloads' window, right-clicking closes it. Wow.

Also, you can now interrupt a download and later continue where you left off. This works for at least the same session. Helpful.

My add-ons shown in the list above have proved very handy:
  • Customize Google has a privacy option which allows you to block any statistics on page usage secretly sent to Google - a great number of websites actually have this feature, and that'll stop 'em right in their tracks. Serves 'em right.
  • Flashblock does what it says: you get to decide if you want to see, or not, a flash media file on a site (this is often used for ads).
  • IE Tab is fab: it adds an option to your right-click menu so you can see the page you're looking within Firefox, but using Internet Explorer as a Firefox tab! And at any time you can switch back. It even allows you to open a page in 'an external application', i.e. it opens the page in IE.

More later.

--------------------

Drifting Star

# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think you had me on the words 'incredibly faster' - somehow that's not what I expect from a new software version. Too often they've been made cleverer and more resource heavy rather than more efficient.

Since the ie tab add-on is available - I need that one - I reckon I'll be updating in the next day or so.

--------------------

amber.
Ship's Aspiedestra
# 11142

- Posted      Profile for amber.   Email amber.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone know how easy it is for a church to set up a blog as their website when they have no real experience of websites at all, and hardly any computer experience?
Posts: 5102 | From: Central South of England | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

# 12799

Wow - Firefox 3! [Eek!] It seems as though my processor has just got faster. Or my broadband speed, I suppose.

Very, very quick and easy upgrade, too - all my personal options put back just where they found them with no fuss.

I'm sure this must be my imagination (or dodgy eyesight), but the display seems to be crisper, too. [Paranoid]

Firefox are trying to get a record for the most downloads in 24 hours - they deserve it for this, so if you're going to update, try to do it by 6pm today (BST).

--------------------

Drifting Star

# 12799

Heeeelp! Fast it might be, but it's stopping me from logging into a phpBB forum. It accepts my username and password, puts me onto the list of those logged on, but doesn't actually let me in. If I go through the IE tab there's no problem. It doesn't seem to be a cookie issue as I have them allowed for all sites at the moment.

Any thoughts?

--------------------

basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by amber.:
Anyone know how easy it is for a church to set up a blog as their website when they have no real experience of websites at all, and hardly any computer experience?

Good advice here from a shipmate. I know several churches that are using a similar setup and they're happy.
Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it possible to send a message from my computer to someone's mobile phone that they can read as a text message?

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

Cardboard Fish can help. I've used it and it doesn't seem to result in lots of spam or advertising.

[ 27. June 2008, 15:26: Message edited by: BroJames ]

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
Is it possible to send a message from my computer to someone's mobile phone that they can read as a text message?

I have done that -- I had to go to the website for their carrier. Maybe there's an easier way these days. I found this site but I'm suspicious how they can offer it for free. I dread to think of endless adverts being sent to my cell phone, at 10¢ a pop. Probably safer to go through the carrier.

--------------------

Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Help! My browser (Firefox) has quit loading link icons like those at the top of board pages, most avatar images and the same for random images on other sites.

I've fallen and I can't get up!

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Have you restarted your browser? Try this several times. Also, clean all private data upon exciting Firefox.

Perhaps restart the machine.

Alternatively, if you have time, click on the bookmarks that seem to have lost their icon, thus opening the linked webpage. After a few moments, the icon should normally update to the one shown in the browser address bar.

In my experience, the problem you encounter may happen occasionally, although I must say that I feel Firefox v.3.0 is much more stable in this respect as well.

Good luck. Hope it sorts itself out!

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  33  34  35 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016