homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: What did you think of REV? (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: What did you think of REV?
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Saviour Tortoise:
quote:
Originally posted by Earwig:
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
- the liturgy and vestments and general conduct of the church services are real. That's how real Anglicans really behave in church. I found myself almost automatically making the responses. I never got that from The Vicar of Dibley or the scenes set in church in other soap operas or dramas. (Even the great Cracker got church life wrong - as does The Archers, though its not so bad)

Yup, me too - I accidently joined in with Morning Prayer in one episode, earning very odd looks from my boyfriend. [Hot and Hormonal]
This was the first thing that really made me pay attention to the show.

The liturgy is smack on accurate. The issues are real issues. The people are real (carictatures, sure, but I recognise them.) Adam is a real vicar. This is a real church. It's so real I assumed the writers must have been CofE regulars. I was very suprised and impressed when I discovered they'd done this through proper research.

Indeed they did - I know one of the advisers.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Weeder:
Yes, Chorister, but is it entertaining? I think not. I will be suprised if it gets a second series.

What is entertaining is the quirky little twist at the end of every plot. It was only after the image had disappeared that I realised the pole dancing club had relocated - as the owner said it would - away from the primary school, but was now smack bang opposite the church. Nothing was said - it was just a fleeting image accross the road as Adam left the church building. You keep watching because you're never quite sure what is going to happen next.

(And I'm speaking as someone who hardly ever watches TV, apart from University Challenge and Wimbledon. So it's got to be good to keep me interested.)

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
kankucho
Shipmate
# 14318

- Posted      Profile for kankucho   Author's homepage   Email kankucho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Saviour Tortoise:
The liturgy is smack on accurate. The issues are real issues. The people are real (carictatures, sure, but I recognise them.) Adam is a real vicar. This is a real church. It's so real I assumed the writers must have been CofE regulars. I was very suprised and impressed when I discovered they'd done this through proper research.

Apparently, the realism of some of the secular details caused a bit of a stir among bystanders witnessing the opening scene of Ep 3...

Insert finger here for full story and pictures

[Big Grin]

--------------------
"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself" – Dr. Carl Sagan
Kankucho Bird Blues

Posts: 1262 | From: Kuon-ganjo, E17 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
RadicalWhig
Shipmate
# 13190

- Posted      Profile for RadicalWhig   Author's homepage   Email RadicalWhig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kankucho:
Insert finger here for full story and pictures

Ugh! [Projectile]
It was The Sun. I feel dirty and contaminated now.

--------------------
Radical Whiggery for Beginners: "Trampling on the Common Prayer Book, talking against the Scriptures, commending Commonwealths, justifying the murder of King Charles I, railing against priests in general." (Sir Arthur Charlett on John Toland, 1695)

Posts: 3193 | From: Scotland | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And no-one moaned about the "poor departed" being carried out of chuch on the huh? Dear me - picture two made me wince.

Mind you, that might be through having an undertaker for a father. He nearly had a fit when the Queen Mother was carried in with one short pallbearer struggling to keep his corner up!

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Niminypiminy
Shipmate
# 15489

- Posted      Profile for Niminypiminy   Email Niminypiminy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just watched all three episodes on i-play (yep, a lot of work displacement activity going on here today). I enjoyed it a lot, and thought it was pretty well written and acted.

I started to think about Adam's backstory though. Has he spent his entire adult life in Suffolk? How does someone do that and then end up in Shoreditch? But then I thought, well, actually in a 30 minute sitcom you can't have too much of characters' history, they've just got to seem plausible in that situation.

But then I started to think about the fact that Adam and Alex don't have children, and I was suddenly struck by the similarities with the Tom and Barbara in the Good Life -- couples who aren't in the first flush of marriage who are still quite couple-y and where all the humour in the marriage centres around their romantic/sexual life.

It's true that it they had children it would turn into a family sitcom, and Rev is obviously not that. It's just that when you combine it with the lack of backstory for Adam and Alex the whole situation begins to seem a bit peculiar -- as does that of The Good Life when you pull it apart a bit.

Probably that's a reason not to analyse too much ... hope anyway it gets recommissioned so that it gets a chance to bed down and develop.

Posts: 776 | From: Edge of the Fens | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How about: Adam and Alex met at university (in London of course); he being a country lad who naturally gravitated back to his roots for his first curacy (and maybe a team vicarship in a rural team ministry). Alex meanwhile, a city girl intent on making her way in the legal profession, got fed up of working for Stephen Fry and landed a plum job in the City. The strains of commuting prompted Adam to write to his friend (!) Archdeacon Robert, and so the story continues...

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Except that doesn't quite work, since Alex is a criminal defence lawyer, about as low a paid position as you can get in the legal profession (essentially, you are paid by the government). She could as easily have done this in, say, Ipswich.

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I must have missed that. But you get a better class of criminal in the East End.

--------------------

Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

- Posted      Profile for Jemima the 9th     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This reviewer in the Guardian doesn't think much of it:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/2010/jul/18/another-view-on-rev
I thought it was interesting that he said you don't get any sense of Adam's spiritual convictions; I thought they came over very well. Ho hum. Looking forward to tonight's episode. [Smile]

Posts: 801 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jemima the 9th:
I thought it was interesting that he said you don't get any sense of Adam's spiritual convictions; I thought they came over very well. Ho hum. Looking forward to tonight's episode. [Smile]

I can understand why the writer of that piece doesn't find it realistic. I don't know him personally, but I do know the church where he's Vicar as it's on my old stamping ground. Let's just say they don't exactly inhabit the same planet as the rest of us!

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

A bad review. he said: He even invites a Muslim prayer group to hold their meeting in the church. I'm in favour of interfaith dialogue, but that's just a step too far.

Actually, I know two evangelical ministers and one anglo-catholic priest who do just that.

Then: One African lady in the congregation, Adoha, is known as a "cassock-chaser" because she has a thing for priests. You do get people a bit like her in the church. People from Africa and the Caribbean are particularly deferential to their priests – but not to those extremes.

I know at least three women, in different churches that I belong to, who are much more extreme.

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

- Posted      Profile for Jemima the 9th     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
quote:

I can understand why the writer of that piece doesn't find it realistic. I don't know him personally, but I do know the church where he's Vicar as it's on my old stamping ground. Let's just say they don't exactly inhabit the same planet as the rest of us!
Ah, that's interesting. Thank you!
Posts: 801 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:

A bad review. he said: He even invites a Muslim prayer group to hold their meeting in the church. I'm in favour of interfaith dialogue, but that's just a step too far.

Actually, I know two evangelical ministers and one anglo-catholic priest who do just that.

And I know a local CofE church who also have Muslims meeting in and using their church - Sufi Muslims. Some churches don't allow other religions to meet in their church, some do...

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

Well that was brilliant!

--------------------

Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, though parts of it had me absolutely cringing. It was very, very good.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That was the first episode I'd watched, and I'm very impressed!

Yes, it's gentle rather than laugh-out-loud funny, but so very very real! If I wandered into a random church in London, or many other cities, and found it exactly like that, then I wouldn't be at all surprised. Prestigious cappuccino machine and all!

Oh, and in answer to the article quoted above: I didn't get the impression any of tonight's characters were mere caricatures. If anything, I thought quite a few of them were rather toned down from the real-life equivalents one runs into from time to time. Or indeed the real-life equivalents that one actually is

... the 'Single Men's Supper' - 'We're not ALL gay!' [Killing me]

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jante
Shipmate
# 9163

- Posted      Profile for Jante   Email Jante   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have enjoyed this since the first episode but particularly enjoyed tonights. I feel the characters are devolping and are less charicatures now. Loved Mrs Rev's response to the addict coming for money again.
Jante

[ 19. July 2010, 22:01: Message edited by: Jante ]

--------------------
My blog http://vicarfactorycalling.blogspot.com/

Posts: 535 | From: deepest derbyshire | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
+Chad

Staffordshire Lad
# 5645

- Posted      Profile for +Chad   Author's homepage   Email +Chad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The best yet!

"I find congregations prefer cornflakes to muesli - theologically speaking."

"There are 10,000 vicars and only 350 top jobs.....so, the chances of promotion in the Church of England are about the same as in the Chinese army."

The Archdeacon gets better.

A Cuddesdon man?!

And Adam's response to the posing models on the vestment website:

"Oooh, look at her!"

Now, as for Roland. I can't begin to imagine who is the inspiration for that character! [Biased]

--------------------
Chad (The + is silent)

Where there is tea there is hope.

Posts: 2698 | From: The Backbone of England | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by +Chad:

A Cuddesdon man?!

Of course he is. No doubt about that! What about Adam though? I don't think he's a Staggers Bag. Westcott maybe?

--------------------

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Probably. I think he must have had a residential training. The daily office is ingrained!

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
+Chad

Staffordshire Lad
# 5645

- Posted      Profile for +Chad   Author's homepage   Email +Chad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

A Cuddesdon man?!

Of course he is. No doubt about that!
Pre-merger.

quote:
What about Adam though? I don't think he's a Staggers Bag. Westcott maybe?
I thought Westcott. Probably AffCath too. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Chad (The + is silent)

Posts: 2698 | From: The Backbone of England | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead

I am
# 21

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Like many others I found it amusing rather than lough-out-loud funny, but very enjoyable and it's good to see a depiction of the church that has moved on from Derek Nimmo. And it has some nice touches, such as the 'More tea vicar?' mug at Adam's bedside and the nun salt and pepper shakers in the kitchen.

--------------------
At times like this I find myself thinking, what would the Amish do?

Posts: 9123 | From: Near where I was before. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tyler Durden
Shipmate
# 2996

- Posted      Profile for Tyler Durden     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought last night's was by far and away the best so far. I also thought the piece in teh Guardian was appaling: it sounded like it had been written by a 12 year old and said nothing (or perhpas, like Adam, I'm just jealous that I haven't been asked to write a piece for the guardian...?)

PS I'd love to know who Roland Wise is supposed to be. Can anyone PM me?

--------------------
Have you ever noticed that anyone driving slower than you is a moron, while anyone driving faster is a maniac? Jerry Seinfeld

Posts: 509 | From: Kent | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amos:
Probably. I think he must have had a residential training. The daily office is ingrained!

I'd say Westcott for sure. This would also explain why a man from 'Snakebelly Suffolk' was wearing a 'jessie-bell'....

I loved all the little character touches too - for example, the fact that even when he was comforting Roland he was still only able to say 'You're .... quite funny'.

Admittedly, I did see the final gag coming a mile off, but hey!

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
+Chad

Staffordshire Lad
# 5645

Yes, you just knew Roland was going to nick his line!

--------------------
Chad (The + is silent)

Moth

Shipmate
# 2589

- Posted      Profile for Moth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love this series more and more as it goes on. Odd moments make me laugh, but at times it makes me cringe as I recognise the odd little habits we religious types have!

I thought the review in the Gauardian about par for the course for the Guardian. It has a real blind spot when it comes to religion.

--------------------
"There are governments that burn books, and then there are those that sell the libraries and shut the universities to anyone who can't pay for a key." Laurie Penny.

Posts: 3446 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

quote:
Originally posted by Moth:

I thought the review in the Gauardian about par for the course for the Guardian. It has a real blind spot when it comes to religion.

Sometimes, yes. In this case, I think its more of a blind spot when it comes to the subtleties of the Anglican church, which is more forgiveable. I presume they just thought 'let's get another East End vicar to comment', despite the fact that he has clearly -to us - got a different perspective from another part of the candle as it were.

--------------------

Loveheart

Blue-scarved menace
# 12249

- Posted      Profile for Loveheart   Email Loveheart   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tyler Durden:
I thought last night's was by far and away the best so far.

Same here! [Yipee]

I'm glad they got round to explaining why Adam didn't have a chasuble, although I'd have thought he'd have ordered a full set, rather than just the green. Perhaps as we're in ordinary time, the church is saving up for the rest of them???

--------------------
You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty. Mahatma Gandhi

Posts: 3638 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

We only got to see the green, but he must have ordered a full set as we saw the Rastafariian bloke wearing a red stole over the green chazzie.

--------------------

Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The best yet!

"I find congregations prefer cornflakes to muesli - theologically speaking."

"There are 10,000 vicars and only 350 top jobs.....so, the chances of promotion in the Church of England are about the same as in the Chinese army."

A Cuddesdon man?!

And Adam's response to the posing models on the vestment website:

"Oooh, look at her!"

Now, as for Roland. I can't begin to imagine who is the inspiration for that character! [Biased]

If it helps, a friend I was watching with picked up on Roland's 'courtly' goodnight to Alex; sooo reminded us of our old chaplain. [Axe murder] And he was definitely a Cuddeston man.

No, I'm not telling you who he was.

--------------------
"I don't feel like smiling." "You're English dear; fake it!" (Colin Firth "Easy Virtue")
Growing Greenpatches

Posts: 4739 | From: The Kitchen | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For the first time it was really really good. I mean I almost cried at one point. The scenes between Adam and Roland (or whatever his name was) seemed very real. People really do behave like that.

Then when he suggested they go and say the Office - well it was the nearest I have ever seen on TV to a credible depiction (or even a justification) of liturgical approach to Christianity. I don't think anyone will ever persuade this Protestant to be an Anglo-Catholic but that was about as near as it gets...

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
+Chad

Staffordshire Lad
# 5645

Roland isn't Cuddesdon. The style's all superficial.

He was at college with Adam - Westcott.

What of Darren Betts, our fresh expression of two episodes ago, do we think Wycliffe Hall or S John's, Nottingham?

--------------------
Chad (The + is silent)

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
What of Darren Betts, our fresh expression of two episodes ago, do we think Wycliffe Hall or S John's, Nottingham?

Trinity, Bristol. And he's older than he tries to look - he was there in the early 1980s.

--------------------
Ken

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

Could feasibly be Oak Hill then.

--------------------

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

What of Darren Betts, our fresh expression of two episodes ago...
...S John's, Nottingham?

Not in John Goldingay's time?

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boopy
Shipmate
# 4738

- Posted      Profile for Boopy     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wonderful episode. As well as the Archdeacon's cornflakes/muesli line, and the usual opportunity to see him discard his coffee undrunk, I very much enjoyed the unstated unfolding of how Adam's sudden interest in getting on radio/TV meant that in this episode he constantly overlooked his usual 'small acts of kindness' that he so loved the idea of in the poem he quoted. (So, failing to go to the Singles Supper, closing the door on the man wanting to use the loo, not making time to talk to Colin at the door etc). The difference between what he said and what he did in this episode - and using that to show that he was going in the wrong direction for a time - was beautifully done, and all the more so for remaining unspoken.

Good to see Morning Prayer treated as a normal and unspectacular part of the daily routine too.

[ 20. July 2010, 15:20: Message edited by: Boopy ]

Posts: 1170 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
We only got to see the green, but he must have ordered a full set as we saw the Rastafariian bloke wearing a red stole over the green chazzie.

Could have been a reversible set to save money - red one side, green the other.
Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Trinity, Bristol. And he's older than he tries to look - he was there in the early 1980s.
Please don't say any of these three are spawning montrosities like Darren IRL. [Eek!] I'm still recovering from that episode. Shudders.
Posts: 4739 | From: The Kitchen | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
+Chad

Staffordshire Lad
# 5645

Well, he didn't train at Mirfield or Staggers. [Smile]

Actually, he could have come by the Church Army route.

Church Army evangelist and then trained for ordination on a local course! [Devil]

[ 20. July 2010, 17:12: Message edited by: +Chad ]

--------------------
Chad (The + is silent)

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

Assuming you mean Darren, surely not the Church Army. He's too posh for that (though his name lets him down a bit; maybe he got to public school on a scholarship. Or maybe he's antipodean and has toned down his accent.)

--------------------

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

Darren was never Oak Hill! Far too flaky. An Oak Hill man would have had an altar call!

And has the Archdeacon eaten or drunk *anything* yet?

Does he need normal human food?

--------------------
Ken

RadicalWhig
Shipmate
# 13190

- Posted      Profile for RadicalWhig   Author's homepage   Email RadicalWhig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And has the Archdeacon eaten or drunk *anything* yet?

Does he need normal human food?

He must be a very peculiar man!

--------------------
Radical Whiggery for Beginners: "Trampling on the Common Prayer Book, talking against the Scriptures, commending Commonwealths, justifying the murder of King Charles I, railing against priests in general." (Sir Arthur Charlett on John Toland, 1695)

Posts: 3193 | From: Scotland | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead

I am
# 21

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Darren refers to himself as a 'vicar'. Would an Oak Hill person have gone with 'minister'?

--------------------

Posts: 9123 | From: Near where I was before. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Archdeacon looking at the pub food and putting it aside was priceless, in the context of his other food dismissals. I am sure he eats, but only proper food.

the obviousness of Roland pinching his line was what I means about obviousness. But that didn't detract from the episode as a whole - it was just what you knew was liable to happen, but may not have.

I went away from it thinking it was not so good. But I continued thinking about it, and the plotlines became clearer, and I realised that it worked brilliantly. That is what I love about it. Adam struggling practically with pride and expectation. His realisation that Roland was as unhappy in his role as Adam was in his, and the reversal that his own pride in vestments etc. And getting his vestments eventually "because he looks good in them".

So excellent again. And I love the prayer that we hear, because it is so realistic to how I pray - not formal, not structured, but chatting and sharing.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead

I am
# 21

According to the Radio Times, next week's episode sees Adam Pope-ing up and swinging the smoking handbag. Sound like fun.

--------------------

+Chad

Staffordshire Lad
# 5645

quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
Assuming you mean Darren, surely not the Church Army. He's too posh for that (though his name lets him down a bit; maybe he got to public school on a scholarship. Or maybe he's antipodean and has toned down his accent.)

The accent could well be a recent acquisition. Keeping up with the Bromptons! [Snigger]

--------------------
Chad (The + is silent)

Son of a preacherman
Shipmate
# 4181

- Posted      Profile for Son of a preacherman   Email Son of a preacherman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm loving it... the line that makes me chuckle every time is.. 'Hello Mrs Vicarage'

It would have made my mother fume!!

Posts: 168 | From: Sussex by the Sea | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a latecomer to this. I watched the first episode on iplayer last night, and part of me wishes I hadn't. It's funny, clever, extremely well observed and nicely acted ... but it excels in reminding me of everything I loathe about the Church of England. Everything I connect with the worst times in my life are there - the downtrodden, unsupported parish clergy (accurately, Adam always looks tired); the boxlike vicarages in the bleak urban wilderness; the ghastly Archdeacon; every congregation with its wearying cassock-chaser and vile parents trying to get their sprogs into the school. Even the scenes of the church interior seemed to communicate a feeling of cold and damp through my computer screen.

I'm afraid I also caught the first ten minutes of the second episode. Tell me, does Darren end up being shredded in an industrial waste recycling machine? Or is that just the way I'd write the script?

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
this week the spent £900 for new vestments and a fancy capuccino machine,it made me wonder where the parish was getting it's money from?
Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016