homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Doctor Who: Fall 2013 (Page 14)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Doctor Who: Fall 2013
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:
In a society where freaks were put on show or put into asylums the probability of lizard lady conversing openly with Victorians in the street, without provoking a panic or torch-wielding crowd, seems thoroughly unbelievable.

I've been in love with Madam Vastra for years, I'd probably follow her around London like a lost puppy. [Hot and Hormonal] Maybe she just has that effect on people? [Big Grin]

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Revolutionist
Shipmate
# 4578

- Posted      Profile for The Revolutionist   Email The Revolutionist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
Thanks for posting that link to your blog. I liked it.
I found Missy dancing around the garden very peculiar.
Episodes 11 & 12, starring Michelle Gomez, are titled Dark Water/Death In Heaven, so we are probably going to have to wait to find out - but I very much doubt if the garden is Heaven. In the Radio Times, a thumbnail shows Capaldi and Missy with him gripping her arm in what looks remarkably like a hold I was taught for dealing with difficult children, their heads leaning towards each other, him looking at the camera, half smiling, her with a very fixed expression, and her bracelet in her right hand. There are people passing along behind them. The text says:
quote:
"You betrayed me. You betrayed my trust, our friendship, and everything I've ever stood for. You let me down."
without attributing this to a speaker. It then goes on to say:
quote:
In the mysterious world of the Nethersphere plans have been drawn. Old friends and old enemies manoeuvre around the Doctor, and an impossible choice is looming before him. Death is not an end, promises the sinister organisation known only as 3W - but as the Doctor and Clara discover, you might wish it was.
The episode is written by Moffat. Apart from making me thing of sellotape, this sounds irritatingly like Torchwood.

Glad you enjoyed the review! Those hints from the Radio Times are intriguing. I had alluded to some of them in my review originally but someone complained about spoilers, so I took them out. I don't count officially released info as spoilers, but people's mileage varies.

quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:
Oh, meant to say, couldn't get the lizard lady and her weird-looking butler thing. In a society where freaks were put on show or put into asylums the probability of lizard lady conversing openly with Victorians in the street, without provoking a panic or torch-wielding crowd, seems thoroughly unbelievable.

Of course, that version of Victorian London might belong to a parallel universe where such things are normal? [Big Grin]

I agree - it felt disconnected from "our" reality. I'd have preferred it if the episode had at least tried to ground itself in a sense of actual historical setting. Compare it to, say, The Next Doctor, which still had a "Dickensian" London rather than an authentically historical one, but used the setting to inform the story and characters to a much greater degree.
Posts: 1296 | From: London | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Alan Moore (comics writer) has a story in which Jonathan Harker has dumped Mina Harker because she's been contaminated by her encounter with the dangerous foreign count and no true-born English Victorian gentleman would really maintain relations with a woman who had been soiled in that way. To which the obvious response is that while Alan Moore may be a genius, Bram Stoker and his original readers were Victorians and the least thoughtful of them had a far more realistic grasp of how a Victorian Englishman like Jonathan Harker could be expected to react than Moore ever can.

That is a roundabout way of saying the Victorians would probably be better able to tolerate weirdness like Vastra and Strax than we give them credit for. (Anna Karenina and French novels are probably better guides to how society really worked than English Victorian novels, as the English Victorian equivalent of Amazon was horribly prudish.)

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It did occur to me that among the observers along the Thames would have been representatives of the Natural History Museum, Arthur Conan Doyle and H.G. Wells. Depending on dates, of course.
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
One friend has objected that characterisation took twists previously unseen. Which made me think of all the stuff about Clara being a control freak - great fun, but have we seen any evidence to support the claim.

Overall I thought this was a decent start to what could be a cracking series. On the other hand, I don't think it will be with Moffatt in control.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Armin:
One friend has objected that characterisation took twists previously unseen. Which made me think of all the stuff about Clara being a control freak - great fun, but have we seen any evidence to support the claim.

She's the girl who had to save the Doctor and jumped into his timeline to do so, and she used her mind to defeat the Daleks, I think that would make her quite a control freak.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:

That is a roundabout way of saying the Victorians would probably be better able to tolerate weirdness like Vastra and Strax than we give them credit for. (Anna Karenina and French novels are probably better guides to how society really worked than English Victorian novels, as the English Victorian equivalent of Amazon was horribly prudish.)

Well, not to get into it too much, but I think Trollope and even Dickens would've been better guides to Victorian English society than mainland European writers. And much of non-fiction writing of the time reflecting contemporary mores are certainly more in line with them. I'm quite sure, that the scenes from the film The Elephant Man depicting Merrick being 'visited' by a tremulous and disgusted thrill-seeking society would've been much closer to the truth, or alternately being displayed in a booth down the East End. However, it is true - and as reflected with these and other contemporary English/Irish writers - that with regard to morality and private behaviour, there was much covert acceptance of that which would not have been acceptable superficially.

In an era when physiognomony and skull-bumps were regarded as a science, however, I think the best answer is still that Dr Who was exploring some parallel version of Victorian London in the wider probabilities of the multi-verse!

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have invented a new acronym especially for this thread :

YCPATPATT.

Sigh.

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just finished The Seeds of Doom. Yep, speaking from the perspective of 1976... that's one of the best yet!

[ 28. August 2014, 12:15: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
ADDENDUM: Which is pretty remarkable, as I'm just now reading how it was a late replacement.

http://www.shannonsullivan.com/drwho/serials/4l.html

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Heavenly Anarchist:
quote:

She's the girl who had to save the Doctor and jumped into his timeline to do so, and she used her mind to defeat the Daleks, I think that would make her quite a control freak.
Just out of interest, how often have we seen Clara save the Doctor? Much as I like both character and actress, we've been TOLD she is the Impossible Girl who saved the Doctor time and time again. The only time I can think of that we've SEEN this is when she was soufflé girl.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Just out of interest, how often have we seen Clara save the Doctor?[/QB]

We kind of saw her saving the doctor in the 'impossible girl' clips around the day of the Dr. But although it was cool to see, there was an element of them being more tell than show.
The Machine Elf

Irregular polytope
# 1622

- Posted      Profile for The Machine Elf   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
JTL and I laughed at the end when the Doctor suggested they get a coffee - the old police box in Buchanan Street is now a coffee kiosk.

The Elf Lass didn't notice the opening sequence. She's started giggling and jumping up and down when season 4's time tunnel comes on; we've just started on Matt Smith now.

TME

--------------------
Elves of any kind are strange folk.

Posts: 1298 | From: the edge of the deep green sea | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
tessaB
Shipmate
# 8533

- Posted      Profile for tessaB   Email tessaB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ok Pyx_e, I'll bite. What does YCPATPATT stand for?

--------------------
tessaB
eating chocolate to the glory of God
Holiday cottage near Rye

Posts: 1068 | From: U.K. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Let me guess, You Can't Point A Toy Pistol At The Tardis."

Am I right?

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Not long to go before we find out if it is possible to get something new from a Dalek story. The last time they did that was "Dalek" with Christopher Ecclston was the Doctor.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by tessaB:
Ok Pyx_e, I'll bite. What does YCPATPATT stand for?

You can't please all the people all the timeie.

--------------------

M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hmm. Macarius is out this evening and I said I wouldn't watch until he gets home. Now regretting it a bit !

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

Could he be more awesome? And next week ROBIN HOOD! Hahahahahahahaaaaaaaaa

--------------------

tessaB
Shipmate
# 8533

- Posted      Profile for tessaB   Email tessaB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Echo of Christopher Eccleston's Dalek story - 'You would make a good dalek!'

--------------------
tessaB
Holiday cottage near Rye

Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
On the whole enjoyed it, a few bits where not sure, but not many sustained duff notes in the story proper. Also a bit derivative but different enough, almost all the big stories have been done in some form.
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Underwhelming. It was reminiscent of the Eccleston one with the Dalek, which was gripping stuff, but this wasn't. Capaldi was good and had it not been for him, I don't think I'd have stayed with the episode to the end.

I'm betting that "Danny" turns out to be a duplicate of Journey's lost brother Kai at some point.

Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

quote:
Originally posted by Jay-Emm:
quote:
Just out of interest, how often have we seen Clara save the Doctor?

We kind of saw her saving the doctor in the 'impossible girl' clips around the day of the Dr. But although it was cool to see, there was an element of them being more tell than show. [/QB]
Sorry - while those clips were fun we never once saw her saving the Doctor.

--------------------

Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

And in order to keep up to date, I ought to say I enjoyed tonight's episode. Agreed, it wasn't a patch on the Eccleston Dalek story, but I was glad to see the idea of a good Dalek being explored, at last. The idea of an entire race who are irredeemably evil strikes me as racist - you get it in Tolkein too.

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Just out of interest, how often have we seen Clara save the Doctor? Much as I like both character and actress, we've been TOLD she is the Impossible Girl who saved the Doctor time and time again. The only time I can think of that we've SEEN this is when she was soufflé girl.

Yes, she saves him in Asylum. We can quibble whether she saved him in "The Snowmen"--it was tears for her dying that kept the GI from killing the Doctor.

She, of course, saves him in "The Name of the Doctor" by merging with the time line--he was in pretty bad shape until she did that.

She saves him with her leaf in "The Rings of Akhaten"--he didn't have enough history to feed the Old God, which was satiated with the potentialities of the leaf.

She saves him in "Hide" by getting the TARDIS to fly into the pocket universe for him to jump on board.

Really, for the short time that she has been here, that is not too shabby a list.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jay-Emm:
[qb] Sorry - while those clips (of Clara with old Doctors) were fun we never once saw her saving the Doctor.

ok, my lousy memory. I know it was implied she was making a difference and assumed she was shown as doing something.
Twangist
Shipmate
# 16208

- Posted      Profile for Twangist   Author's homepage   Email Twangist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
And in order to keep up to date, I ought to say I enjoyed tonight's episode. Agreed, it wasn't a patch on the Eccleston Dalek story, but I was glad to see the idea of a good Dalek being explored, at last. The idea of an entire race who are irredeemably evil strikes me as racist - you get it in Tolkein too.

recently read a comic book , sorry graphic novel, set in the Matt Smith era with just that idea. So tonight seemed like that crossed with Fantastic Voyage - and of course I loved it! (as did the Twanglets)

--------------------
JJ
SDG
blog

Posts: 604 | From: Devon | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think the Fantastic Voyage reference was excellent. And fun to explore with a Dalek.

I am interested what the Paradise references will turn into - they are clearly an arc.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wayfaring Stranger
Apprentice
# 15081

- Posted      Profile for Wayfaring Stranger   Email Wayfaring Stranger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Capaldi continues to be great, but tonight's was a bad episode. "Let's do a tribute to Fantastic Voyage!" someone thought. The result was utterly nonsensical, with a choppy and incoherent script, plus a clunking insert from the “Missy” series arc, which further derailed the story.

And though the end credits say BBC Wales, this seems to have been a Guardian Films production. Never mind the incredibly blatant product placement, we also had ethnically correct casting (i.e. lots of black actors but not a single Asian, even though Asians are twice as numerous in the UK), a disdain for soldiers (So who else is going to hold the Daleks off – social workers?) and lots of wishy-washy liberal platitudes.

And yes, I read the Guardian myself. But I’m not a Guardian Reader.

Posts: 11 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
tessaB
Shipmate
# 8533

Important distinction there! [Big Grin]

--------------------
tessaB
Holiday cottage near Rye

M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I thought it was joyously good old fashioned Doctor Who. And it wasn't just a reference to Fantastic Voyage but the Doctor's been shrunk before of course, with Sarah Jane, to go inside himself, I think, and rescue himself from a giant prawn.

Or something.

And I liked the fairly traditional special effects, too (all that plastic piping).

M.

M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

OK, I've checked now and it was actually Leela with the fourth Doctor in the Invisible Enemy, not a bad dream I had after too much cheese (I began to wonder as I was writing it earlier on).

M.

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'd be happier if Danny did not turn out to be a duplicate. Dealing with the possibilities of actual soldiers arriving in classrooms is an interesting strain to follow and rooted in reality. Not everything has to relate to something else in the story, does it?

It does seem a bit of a repeat of Mickey Smith, though, when other ethnicities are available. (A letter in yesterday's Guardian suggested that all the faces were white unless they were green, which shows that the writer wasn't a watcher!)

Think of the potential of an Indian IT call centre tech support person. I remember Patrick Stewart telling how an Asian had asked him about the absence of his sort of person on Enterprise with the comment "Don't they need IT support?"

I'm finding the ubiquity of Missy odd. How does she do it? Why doesn't she "rescue" everyone? And why have we never seen her before?

I have a feeling I'm not going to like the way that arc sorts itself out.

orfeo

# 13878

I'm afraid I found most of that somewhat dull.

Best bit was the reappearance of Missy. I like that. Enough people die in Doctor Who that she could be in every episode.

quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
Not long to go before we find out if it is possible to get something new from a Dalek story. The last time they did that was "Dalek" with Christopher Ecclston was the Doctor.

It struck me at the end that they tried to take one of the iconic moments of that episode - "you would make a good Dalek" - and redo it. It fell flat this time.

[ 31. August 2014, 11:52: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
The idea of an entire race who are irredeemably evil strikes me as racist - you get it in Tolkein too.

They're a species, not a race. There's nothing 'racist' about making RELEVANT distinctions. The entire reason why racism is racist is because it's based on something as trivial as skin colour, when all human beings have the same basic genetic make-up.

--------------------

ElaineC
Shipmate
# 12244

- Posted      Profile for ElaineC   Email ElaineC   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Does anyone else look at Peter Capaldi and see a resemblance to Peter Cushing playing the Doctor in the 1965 film?

--------------------
Music is the only language in which you cannot say a mean or sarcastic thing. John Erskine

Posts: 464 | From: Orpington, Kent, UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
"Missy" is that woman who used to have the eyepatch, isn't she?
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
"Missy" is that woman who used to have the eyepatch, isn't she?

Nope. Missy is played by Michelle Gomez. You're thinking of Madam Kovarian played by Frances Barber.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

She might have regenerated...
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There is a similarity though.

And ElaineC - yes.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just back from holiday for a week. Fortunately our cottage had a telly and we were back from a walk in time for the fist episode. However, I was a bit disappointed by it. I agree with others above that Clara of all companions should have been OK with a Doctor regenerating. However, it also seemed to be trying to bring in the idea that the Doctor himself had problems coping with his regeneration and that is an interesting concept.

Yesterday's episode I really liked (we got home in time). Like others I immediately thought of The Invisible Enemy and Fantastic Voyage as soon as I heard the premise but it still had plenty of originality. It was much more about the Doctor doing stuff as opposed to everyone coping with the change. Even though I had read the "Carer" comment on this thread I still laughed when they said it. I was puzzled that the Doctor found the problem that was making the Dalek "good" and then he fixed it. Why not leave it "broken" and use it?

Peter Capaldi is every bit as brilliant as I expected he would be. Usually a new Doctor is met with lots of uncertainty which they have to overcome but my impression is that this time viewers generally looked forward to him. I suppose that he was clearly going to be very different from his immediate predecessors.

I have seen it suggested that Missy is the Master. That would be fun.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Twangist
Shipmate
# 16208

- Posted      Profile for Twangist   Author's homepage   Email Twangist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

That does seem a fun idea.

--------------------
JJ
SDG
blog

Posts: 604 | From: Devon | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
I'm afraid I found most of that somewhat dull.

I'm afraid I agree. I fell asleep partway through. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wouldn't it be more sensible for "Missy" to be the Rani regenerated? In the TV series, she was still alive after her last encounter with the Doctor, and there had been plans to use her again when the original run got cancelled.

[ 31. August 2014, 19:35: Message edited by: Siegfried ]

--------------------
Siegfried
Life is just a bowl of cherries!

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineC:
Does anyone else look at Peter Capaldi and see a resemblance to Peter Cushing playing the Doctor in the 1965 film?

He totally looks like Cushing!

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Twangist:
quote:

The way I have heard it suggested is: Master = Mistress = Missy.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
quote:
Originally posted by Twangist:
quote:

The way I have heard it suggested is: Master = Mistress = Missy.
Perhaps I am too suspicious, but that smells too much like a red herring to me. Like she was named "Missy" precisely to trick us into thinking that. Perhaps to get us thinking about the Master and ignore (as was suggested above) the Rani.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

The people Missy picks up are those who could be seen to have been misled by the Doctor, not just anyone who has been killed.

I hope that the crew got to eat the cakes.

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think 'you are a good dalek' is both a callback to Dalek, but also a redemption of it. Because in context what the dalek is saying is that the Doctor is what a dalek would be were a dalek morally good.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:
The idea of an entire race who are irredeemably evil strikes me as racist - you get it in Tolkein too.

They're a species, not a race. There's nothing 'racist' about making RELEVANT distinctions. The entire reason why racism is racist is because it's based on something as trivial as skin colour, when all human beings have the same basic genetic make-up.
I'm not sure that this distinction holds up. Certainly in Tolkien you get good and bad hobbits, humans, dwarves, wizards and possibly even elves, but then you get to the orcs and they are all utterly evil. It reminds me of the propaganda put out in WWI (and many other wars, I'm sure) - the Hun are evil child murdering, nun raping barbarians - when the reality was very different. To have an entire species who are all merciless conquering killers, be they orcs or Daleks, seems to me to play into the same blinkered way of thinking.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016