homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » US election aftermath (Page 26)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  ...  40  41  42 

Source: (consider it) Thread: US election aftermath
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest:
quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
Yes. As bad as it is to be in US right now, California may be able to stave off the worst of the effects. But it really, really will suck to live in a red state in the next few years. Even the Trump voters don't deserve what they're likely to get.

Sure they do. But Trump will tell them that what they're getting is really great. My sympathy is for those who voted against him and are in red states. Blue states aren't going to be all that great either as Congress turns off the funding faucets.
It will be hard here in true-blue Calif., but remember that federal taxes are a net loss for us-- we pay out more than we get back. And we have a lot of left-wing billionaires here. So we can expect federal taxes to go down for us and state taxes to go up as more and more things like Covered California get shifted to the state level. I'm not suggesting there'll be no impact-- there will be no escaping the Trumpacalypse for any of us. But I think a large, prosperous blue state will have an easier time navigating it then the already struggling red states where federal funding is a net gain.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Any removal of Tiny Fingers must come from the GOP. They hold both houses of Congress. They themselves must become disgusted to the point of revolt, or, more likely, terrified until they are driven to act.
To get Turtle Man (love it!!) to this pass is going to be hard. They do not want another failed presidency (like Nixon). They will not want to admit it. You can avert your eyes from disaster for years, and they will. They'll be compelled to, by ego and the lust for power.
I cannot imagine the scope of the calamity that will get their heads up out of the sand, but it's going to be bad.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
BTW, the Washington Post has removed its paywall through Saturday. So you can pop over and read all the inaugural and March coverage for free.

--------------------

Alt Wally

Cardinal Ximinez
# 3245

- Posted      Profile for Alt Wally     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It will be hard here in true-blue Calif., but remember that federal taxes are a net loss for us-- we pay out more than we get back.

Only slightly in the numbers I looked at. It appears California is just below being one for one in dollars paid in Federal taxes versus what is returned. It appears there are only 14 states that pay more in than they receive, and California is last out of those. Delaware is first in terms of paying in more than they get in Federal Dollars. Illinois is number two. I think there is more to this in terms of assessing fiscal health however. Illinois like California has a substantial amount of unfunded pension liabilities, and paying off these obligations will substantially affect service delivery.

It is interesting that apparently only about a quarter of states pay in more than they receive back in Federal dollars. I don’t know what that has looked like historically, but it does not seem to me that is sustainable. Assuming the states that get more than they pay in cannot raise more revenue, the higher producing states will either have to pay in more or there will have to be cuts in spending. Assuming again we don’t want the deficit to spiral out of control.

[ 19. January 2017, 17:21: Message edited by: Alt Wally ]

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alt Wally:
It appears there are only 14 states that pay more in than they receive, and California is last out of those.

Assuming you're looking at the same data The Atlantic is looking at here, it should be noted that those fourteen states contain about 39% of the U.S. population. I'd also suspect that California, New York, and Illinois (all on the list) also have above average per capita state GDPs.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

A quite eloquent cri de coeur.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
A quite eloquent cri de coeur.

Very well written -- may I get an Amen?

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's the 20th where I live, and my thoughts and prayers are with everybody in the US, especially those who will brave the cold and the police to record their rejection of Trump and what he stands for.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Due to bandwidth issues (it is expected that the number of cell phones will render many of them unuseable) I won't be able to post from the March on Saturday. However, d.v., I will post pictures on Facebook and also blog about it on Sunday. The getting-ready blog post is going up here tomorrow.

--------------------

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:
Millions of people did vote for him, but a couple of million more than that voted for Hillary Clinton. The people who decided to give him the power to control nuclear missiles were the members of the electoral college. Presumably they thought he'd be easier to control once in office. Or that being male made him more qualified than Hillary to be President. Or they were all being controlled by giant alien lizards.

Or they thought the rules meant something.

Seriously, I'm sick of hearing about the popular national vote. The popular national vote doesn't mean a damn thing in MOST of the countries that Shipmates generally come from.

I can't think of any field besides politics where "we would have won if the rules of the game were different" is considered a meaningful argument.

As Trump himself pointed out in one of his more lucid moments, if the rules of the game had been different, both he and Clinton would have had completely different campaign strategies. They would have spent their time and money in different places compared to what actually happened. Densely populated places in California would've been a centre of attention.

It's a system designed to reflect the federal nature of the United States. If people want to try to have it changed for future elections so that large population centres can ignore small populations even more than they already do, good luck to them, but everyone who mattered knew the rules of the election going in, and how many more millions of people voted for Clinton is an irrelevant byproduct.

[ 19. January 2017, 20:34: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
According to some experts on NPR today, there's never been a President so ill prepared for the transition. True to form, Donald didn't want to be bothered with meetings, plans and decisions to help things go smoothly. We might even see some flub ups tomorrow on a par with Mariah Carey's New Year's Eve performance at Times Square. I may watch the inauguration after all.
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's hoping this presidency is no worse than a train crash.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would agree, Orfeo. But I similarly am tired of hearing people (not here but significant in the blogosphere) say "stop talking about the popular vote. Trump would have won the popular vote if it weren't for California and NY". Meaning that California and NY don't count.

Yes, we don't get to rewrite the election rules after the fact (though we might going forward, for better or worse). The rules of the election are electoral college is what determines the presidency.

But by the same logic, you cannot redefine what "popular vote" means. Popular vote means the majority of Americans. The majority of Americans live in a few very large cities in a few states. And their voices should matter. That they don't matter right now in the EC is something that may or may not be rectified in the future going forward. But when you're talking about things like "mandates" or the "will of the people" that means the will of ALL the people, including those in large, densely populated urban areas.

[ 19. January 2017, 22:19: Message edited by: cliffdweller ]

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
According to some experts on NPR today, there's never been a President so ill prepared for the transition. True to form, Donald didn't want to be bothered with meetings, plans and decisions to help things go smoothly. We might even see some flub ups tomorrow on a par with Mariah Carey's New Year's Eve performance at Times Square. I may watch the inauguration after all.

I'm sure the flubs will be shown over and over again, so I feel no need to watch this horror story unfold on live television.

I'm pretty much going into ostrich mode tomorrow. If I bury my head in the sand it won't really be happening.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alt Wally

Cardinal Ximinez
# 3245

- Posted      Profile for Alt Wally     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
Assuming you're looking at the same data The Atlantic is looking at here, it should be noted that those fourteen states contain about 39% of the U.S. population. I'd also suspect that California, New York, and Illinois (all on the list) also have above average per capita state GDPs.

They probably do. I was not looking at that page, but a related one with some of the same data. In that link the map of poverty levels is interesting, in particular within California.

I don't know exactly what these varying levels of contribution and return of Federal tax dollars will mean at a state level in terms of providing shielding or exposure to the policies of President Trump. That is primarily because I don't know what exactly the policies of President Trump will be. I don't know who does. So the talk of the sky falling seems premature to me, at least at this point. I assume it is more visceral dislike of Mr. Trump than anything else.

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
]I'm sure the flubs will be shown over and over again, so I feel no need to watch this horror story unfold on live television.

I'm pretty much going into ostrich mode tomorrow. If I bury my head in the sand it won't really be happening.

I'm with you. Just like odds are, someone, somewhere will have explosive diarrhea tomorrow, but I don't have to watch it on live TV. I won't watch this. I have made plans for tomorrow to stay far far away from social media and TV. Books, time with family, hiking.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a couple of errands to run, then I plan to find somewhere quiet and spend the night listening to scary story YouTube channels. Seems appropriate.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
]I'm sure the flubs will be shown over and over again, so I feel no need to watch this horror story unfold on live television.

I'm with you. Just like odds are, someone, somewhere will have explosive diarrhea tomorrow, but I don't have to watch it on live TV. I won't watch this. I have made plans for tomorrow to stay far far away from social media and TV. Books, time with family, hiking.
I plan to watch at least some of it, probably on PBS. Mostly the actual ceremony. I might listen on NPR; but I do want to see people's faces and reactions.

I may also do a variation on a drinking game: when T says something I disagree with or abhor, I

--click on a click-to-donate site (e.g., GreaterGood.com, or Care2.com);

--sign an online petition (e.g., ThePetitionSite.com, CredoAction.com, or Change.org);

--play a game that generates donations (e.g., FreeRice.com, or FreeKibble.com);

--search through a site that donates (e.g., GoodSearch.com).

Those are all free, BTW. I may do this while watching, or keep a tally and do it later. I hope it will give me some sense of balance.

YMMV.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kelly--

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
I have a couple of errands to run, then I plan to find somewhere quiet and spend the night listening to scary story YouTube channels. Seems appropriate.

"Welcome To Nightvale"? [Biased]

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hit the local newspaper entertainment section (online edition) to look for something to do but the pickings were extremely slim (and most involved driving 40 miles north to Seattle). Wish it were baseball season. They should have this during baseball season.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
I plan to watch at least some of it, probably on PBS. Mostly the actual ceremony. I might listen on NPR; but I do want to see people's faces and reactions.

I may also do a variation on a drinking game: when T says something I disagree with or abhor, I

--click on a click-to-donate site (e.g., GreaterGood.com, or Care2.com);

--sign an online petition (e.g., ThePetitionSite.com, CredoAction.com, or Change.org);

--play a game that generates donations (e.g., FreeRice.com, or FreeKibble.com);

--search through a site that donates (e.g., GoodSearch.com).

Those are all free, BTW. I may do this while watching, or keep a tally and do it later. I hope it will give me some sense of balance.

YMMV.

OK, that sounds healthy. Just don't turn it into a drinking game because that much alcohol could cause one permanent harm. Then again, perhaps you'd pass out and wake up 4 years later...

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On a different note, is it time to retire this thread and start a new one tomorrow? Since the election is no longer the issue, but how we will live under president cheeto?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

cliffdweller--

I don't drink, so no worries. [Smile] It's just that people often come up with drinking games for things like this. I wanted something *I* could do, that might also do some good. FWIW.

--------------------

Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[I don't know exactly what these varying levels of contribution and return of Federal tax dollars will mean at a state level in terms of providing shielding or exposure to the policies of President Trump. That is primarily because I don't know what exactly the policies of President Trump will be. I don't know who does. So the talk of the sky falling seems premature to me, at least at this point. I assume it is more visceral dislike of Mr. Trump than anything else.

That and his cabinet and his staff and his conflicts of interest and his relationship with Putin and his ability with money...
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Palimpsest. I couldn't find the words for that one.

[ 20. January 2017, 04:57: Message edited by: simontoad ]

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm done. I'm turning the TV off for at least 48 hours. Call me shallow if you will, but I've booked a haircut and manicure for tomorrow; I need to go into self-protective mode. On Saturday I will join 60,000 of my best friends to march in Chicago. But tomorrow is a day of quiet, prayer, and self-care.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:

They probably do. I was not looking at that page, but a related one with some of the same data. In that link the map of poverty levels is interesting, in particular within California.

I don't know exactly what these varying levels of contribution and return of Federal tax dollars will mean at a state level in terms of providing shielding or exposure to the policies of President Trump. That is primarily because I don't know what exactly the policies of President Trump will be. I don't know who does. So the talk of the sky falling seems premature to me, at least at this point. I assume it is more visceral dislike of Mr. Trump than anything else.

Actually, we can make a very educated guess as to some of his policy, from what has been said and from his appointments. He is going to throw attempts to limit anthropogenic climate change out of his pram. I spent part of last night reading about this in the Guardian and New Scientist. This is about as close to the sky falling in as anything I can imagine, and is not simply governing the US of A. It is imposing death on many of the people of this world who have had no choice in giving him the power to do this. As the majority who voted against him have had no choice.

There are already people in Bangladesh who are losing the lives they led on farms now below the tide line, and struggling to eat from fisheries which are moving further from land, and to which they cannot go during the more and more frequent cyclone warnings. As one example.

He is going to make this sort of thing worse. He doesn't care about it. That's a good reason for having a negative view of the man. Along with all the rest.

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
I've booked a haircut and manicure for tomorrow.

Well, as long as the hairdresser doesn't dye it orange and overcomb it. [Biased]

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just heard a vox pop extract from an American in Washington. "How wonderful it is to go to see what God is working in this country."

That would be the deity that first turns people mad in order to destroy them, presumably.

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Mothman cometh.
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was really pleased with our local newspaper today - no mention of Trumph - just a huge, full front page tribute to Obama saying 'Farewell Mr President'.

Indeed, farewell. The USA no longer has a president - it has a joke.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I woke up this morning at 6am Absolute Radio opened the breakfast programme with "It's the End of the World as we Know it"

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What Boogie said, but, alas, it's a sick joke...

Oh, America, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE???

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Getting ready to march tomorrow. Here's a preliminary report. I'm specifically soliciting advice on what to bring!

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good on yer, Brenda!

May the King of Kings protect and watch over you, and all who are marching, or protesting in any other way, wherever they may be.

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

It's raining in DC now but tomorrow it's supposed to be dry! Also, an even more major blessing, it's not going to be bitterly cold. There have been Inaugural weekends (Reagan's, for one) where it was so frigid it was dangerous to be outdoors. I will have to bundle up for being outdoors for nine hours or so, but I won't have to worry about hypothermia or frostbite.

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh dear God. It's actually happening. [Frown] [Projectile]

Lord have mercy! [Help] [Tear] [Votive]

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
I'm done. I'm turning the TV off for at least 48 hours. Call me shallow if you will, but I've booked a haircut and manicure for tomorrow; I need to go into self-protective mode. On Saturday I will join 60,000 of my best friends to march in Chicago. But tomorrow is a day of quiet, prayer, and self-care.

TV blackout here too. I'll rely on phone updates from Washington tomorrow. For a cleaned up version of today's coverage of the Oaf of Office, this is much nicer.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
what on God's green earth was that inauguration speech? I'm going to live in the cellar with plenty of tinned food.

--------------------
And is it true? For if it is....

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by betjemaniac:
what on God's green earth was that inauguration speech? I'm going to live in the cellar with plenty of tinned food.

I can guess - "Trump is great, America is great, I am great great great, I will grate on your nerves for at least four years. I am so great, so very great. I lurve you all, you are going to feel so so great because Trump lurves you, you'll feel so good now, so so good"

Now betjemaniac, do like me - switch off your TV, get out your best bottle of wine, put on some good music and forget the sad joke of a man.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
quote:
Originally posted by betjemaniac:

I can guess - "Trump is great, America is great, I am great great great, I will grate on your nerves for at least four years. I am so great, so very great. I lurve you all, you are going to feel so so great because Trump lurves you, you'll feel so good now, so so good"

Now betjemaniac, do like me - switch off your TV, get out your best bottle of wine, put on some good music and forget the sad joke of a man.

Close - I think he's just promised a new prosperity based on protectionism and US withdrawal from world affairs....

Chinese style "we're not going to impose our way of life on you" coupled with a harangue on all the former presidents that were sitting next to him for failing to honour any of the promises they made at their inaugurations....

forget the wine, I'm going for spirits.

--------------------

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Al Eluia

Inquisitor
# 864

- Posted      Profile for Al Eluia   Email Al Eluia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
It's raining in DC now but tomorrow it's supposed to be dry! Also, an even more major blessing, it's not going to be bitterly cold. There have been Inaugural weekends (Reagan's, for one) where it was so frigid it was dangerous to be outdoors. I will have to bundle up for being outdoors for nine hours or so, but I won't have to worry about hypothermia or frostbite.

Franklin Graham mentioned that in the Bible rain is often a sign of God's blessing. True, but sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, and sometimes rain is just rain.

--------------------
Consider helping out the Anglican Seminary in El Salvador with a book or two! https://www.amazon.es/registry/wishlist/YDAZNSAWWWBT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_ws_7IRSzbD16R9RQ
https://www.episcopalcafe.com/a-seminary-is-born-in-el-salvador/

Posts: 1157 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Chinese style "we're not going to impose our way of life on you"
And this is bad...WHY?

My only problem with such a promise would be that Trump might not actually keep it.

[ 20. January 2017, 16:48: Message edited by: Stetson ]

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:
quote:
Chinese style "we're not going to impose our way of life on you"
And this is bad...WHY?

My only problem with such a promise would be that Trump might not actually keep it.

Nothing if it just means no invasions, quite a lot if it means he's serious about withdrawal from NATO, etc.

Right, now I really am going to forget about it.

--------------------

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The rain falls on the just and unjust.

I watched to bear witness to the last moments of My President. When he waved as he was getting in the helicopter to leave, I waved back and cried.

Today, I'm dressed in black. There's a huge lump in my throat. God help us.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:

Guess again Boogie. It sounded to me like a mix of undiluted nationalism and patriotic fervour to which even the crowd looked a little nervous.
If he can work even half of promised the miracles then all well and good. Trouble with the real world and politics is that miracles nearly always come at a price. History will be his judge.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a little comfort to us all, the announcement before the News Quiz, a topical radio comedy panel show, on the BBC just now:
quote:
'They're here to make Radio 4 great again!' [Smile]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
Actually, we can make a very educated guess as to some of his policy, from what has been said and from his appointments. He is going to throw attempts to limit anthropogenic climate change out of his pram. I spent part of last night reading about this in the Guardian and New Scientist. This is about as close to the sky falling in as anything I can imagine, and is not simply governing the US of A. It is imposing death on many of the people of this world who have had no choice in giving him the power to do this. As the majority who voted against him have had no choice.

There are already people in Bangladesh who are losing the lives they led on farms now below the tide line, and struggling to eat from fisheries which are moving further from land, and to which they cannot go during the more and more frequent cyclone warnings. As one example.

He is going to make this sort of thing worse. He doesn't care about it. That's a good reason for having a negative view of the man. Along with all the rest.

Yes, it is ironic and shocking how little regard the "pro-life" party has re human life. Same thing with the repeal (and no replace) of ACA: I have taken to carefully avoiding saying it is about "health care" or "health insurance". It's not. It's about human lives. Repealing ACA w/o any viable replacement is, quite literally, about people dying. End stop-- there is simply no other way around it. The photos of GOP Congresspeople cheering the repeal were absolutely horrifying. They were literally high-fiving one another over orchestrating the death of some of their fellow citizens.

Whatever you want to call that it most certainly is not "pro-life".

--------------------

nickel
Shipmate
# 8363

- Posted      Profile for nickel   Email nickel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
The rain falls on the just and unjust.

//

You're so much nobler than I. My first thought was that Putin arranged another particular, ahem, "shower".
Posts: 547 | From: Virginia USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

But chiefly on the just because the unjust hath the just's umbrella.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  ...  40  41  42 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016