homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » Oops - your Trump presidency discussion thread (Page 79)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  76  77  78  79  80  81  82  ...  86  87  88 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Oops - your Trump presidency discussion thread
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
Trouble is, you just have to fool enough.

But the fickleness of social media and the relentless search for novelty suggests to me that the troubles in the Trump marriage will go viral pretty soon. That topic is tinder dry. Wouldn't take much to 'light the blue touchpaper'.

And?

What difference would that make?

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hard to predict, Boogie. It would depend how much it played into 'me too'.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think anyone (esp. social media) should pressure Melania about the marriage. She seems unhappy much of the time. If she *did* want to leave, some draconian pre-nup might come into play. And T would probably raise legal hell. I don't know if Melania even has her own money. And T probably would see that she didn't get any access to Barron, their son--and she loves that kid.

As to #metoo: given Melania's past life as a model, which can be dangerous that way, she probably qualifies. And then there's what T did to his first wife...

[Votive]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
I don't think anyone (esp. social media) should pressure Melania about the marriage.

Agree entirely. But the social media have, shall we say to be kind, rather less concern about such decencies than we might hope.

Less kindly, if the story is repeatable enough, you just get global dog-pile. Anyway I didn't want to start even a mini-one here; just musing about the social media in response to Eutychus.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

And in other news ....

...an idiot tweet.

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
The president's thinking and decisions can apparently be swayed by whatever he's just seen on Fox and Friends.

Latest evidence:
quote:
President Trump's tweet came after ex-UKIP leader Nigel Farage appeared on Fox And Friends, one of the president's favourite shows, talking about the weekend march.
(x-post)

[ 05. February 2018, 13:38: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We will never hear word one from Melania. Any more than we have heard a single word from Ivana, Marla, Stormy, etc. They're all being paid handsomely to keep their mouths shut, and if they blab the flow of dollars will stop. If you had a choice between $130K and letting your mouth run, you'd be silent too. What does it profit a girl, to appear on Morning Edition, if she loses her offshore savings account?

The children (Eric, Ivanka, etc.) will also never talk. Not only would the flow of money stop, and the severance from all the prestigious fun of White House offices and Trump brand names; they have legal liability in the way that the wives don't. Jared particularly has a wholesome fear of prison -- his father did 18 months in an Alabama prison for white-collar crimes.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And in other news ....

...an idiot tweet.

But once again, this will play well with his base, who will never hear the objections.

And I still shudder even more at the ease with which one can apparently influence Trump's thinking simply by getting people to say things on Fox and Friends (see here).

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suspect that on any given topic, we might hear from the Trump children, as they are not smart enough to keep their mouths closed.
Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
We will never hear word one from Melania.

More likely to be right than wrong, Brenda.

BUT

There is a famous saying by the Duke of Wellington which touches on people under pressure. And Melania is very obviously under pressure.

quote:
It is inadvisable to drive anyone beyond a certain point

Neither you nor I know what the point may be for her. Sometimes money ceases to be a sufficient solace.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
We had Franklin Graham on the BBC Sunday programme this morning, musing how God had influenced the voting to get Trump in. Among other things. Sunday programme

I heard a liberal bishop say something similar on Saturday - but he meant that it would make ordinary people sit up and think - and value democracy enough to rebel.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
FAITH AND RESISTANCE IN THE AGE OF TRUMP - Miguel A. De La Torre, offers some theologians' reactions to the Trump phenomenon.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
We will never hear word one from Melania.

More likely to be right than wrong, Brenda.

BUT

There is a famous saying by the Duke of Wellington which touches on people under pressure. And Melania is very obviously under pressure.

quote:
It is inadvisable to drive anyone beyond a certain point

Neither you nor I know what the point may be for her. Sometimes money ceases to be a sufficient solace.

There is the further lever of little Barron. I am certain that the prenup allows Crooked Don all the rights to the child, and Melania will never see him again. Nor could she ever afford to sue him for any adjustment in her rights. No, her lip is permanently zipped, until perhaps such time as Lyin' Don shuffles off this mortal coil. Then, perhaps, the money will no longer suffice. The alluring returns on a tell-all memoir might then shine brighter.

--------------------

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
There is the further lever of little Barron. I am certain that the prenup allows Crooked Don all the rights to the child, and Melania will never see him again.

Everything I know about family law comes from a two-hour bar prep class I sat in, but I would have to think that such a clause in a prenup would be 100% unenforceable.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
We had Franklin Graham on the BBC Sunday programme this morning, musing how God had influenced the voting to get Trump in. Among other things. Sunday programme

I heard a liberal bishop say something similar on Saturday - but he meant that it would make ordinary people sit up and think - and value democracy enough to rebel.
Yeah, every time some latter-day Calvinist opines that "God is in control" and therefore put Trump in office I wonder which (of a number of possibilities) thing it was we did that God so pissed off at us to send this neo-Nebuchadnezzar upon us?

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

This link should work, and be a free click: an update of the Beatitudes under the current regime.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

Not sure it's worse than Roman occupation of Judea in the 1st century. Pax Romana was a way of screwing the occupied for taxes and imposing pretty brutal oppression of folks who rebelled and complained.

Hard though it is to remember, Michelle Obama was right. "When they aim low, we aim high". Truth is that Trump is even lower than we feared.

My late dad taught me a phrase for this kind of lowness.

"He's so low, he could crawl under a snake's belly with a top hat on".

It might not be original to him, but it sure is memorable.

--------------------

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Brenda quipped:

quote:
What does it profit a girl, to appear on Morning Edition, if she loses her offshore savings account?
Beautiful.

People are thinking about jumping off the Sydney Harbor Bridge this morning as our markets tank for the second day, following the Dow. Wasn't that the same Dow this President pointed to as further evidence of his economic prowess?

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Then this should amuse:
the president tells you what to do when the stock market drops.

Although Snopes reports that it was a fake tweet and the creator is horrified. Have a look at his comments: "Siri, can I be arrested for a fake tweet"

[ 05. February 2018, 22:51: Message edited by: Brenda Clough ]

--------------------

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry, I quoted myself instead of editing and blew the window.

The musings above about the impact of the Fox network and social media are a little too doom and gloom for mine. I don't think the fundamentals of politics has changed. I think we are put off by the visceral wrong of having a person like Donald Trump in office. Its offensive. It hurts. I feel angry and upset about it allot. He was still a Republican elected after a two-term democratic President, and one barely elected at that.

I think the real and only significant reason for Trump being in the White House is the fact that he was the endorsed Republican candidate for the job. THAT was where the huge mistake was made. Most Americans would not have voted for him without endorsement from the Republican party.

I read in The Guardian that a ridgie-didge Nazi is looking like getting the endorsement of the Republican party in an unwinnable house seat in Illinois because no-one else is standing. Can't they decide to endorse nobody? How does this guy represent the values of the GOP (no sarcasm please)?

Forget what I was saying... too horrified to go on.

--------------------
Human

W Hyatt
Shipmate
# 14250

- Posted      Profile for W Hyatt   Email W Hyatt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
To my mind the damage the memo has done is first and foremost the precedent it sets about declassifying intelligence community information, and the damage that does to the relationship of trust required to share intelligence within government.

That, and the trust required to share intelligence with friendly governments.

--------------------
A new church and a new earth, with Spiritual Insights for Everyday Life.

Posts: 1565 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

A major piece from The Atlantic, in which a pair of resolutely nonpartisan analysts throw in the towel and advise everybody, without exception, to boycott the GOP.

--------------------

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

Yep to Brenda's article. Only the ballot box can save us (you, America, but us because that's how I feel and have always felt) now. Well, except when I'm playing around and stirring the pot.

[ 06. February 2018, 08:46: Message edited by: simontoad ]

--------------------
Human

Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

Not to minimise the potential seriousness of the emerging 'bear market', but it was pretty funny yesterday comparing Trump's self-congratulatory remarks about the economy with the rapidly tumbling Dow.

I suppose he may claim that selling shares, like not applauding his SOTU address, is treason. Like most of us, I hope the current selling is just a course correction. The world needs another 2008 like it needs a hole in the head. But confidence is brittle at present, and with good reason.

One thing is for sure. Having taken undue credit for the boom, he's now set himself up to take responsibility for any bust.

[ 06. February 2018, 09:38: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------

Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
A major piece from The Atlantic, in which a pair of resolutely nonpartisan analysts throw in the towel and advise everybody, without exception, to boycott the GOP.

Blimey, that would be my view, and I'm a Social Democrat, of sorts. These guys are non-partisan in the sense of "I want someone else to be right wing for me"!

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Not to minimise the potential seriousness of the emerging 'bear market', but it was pretty funny yesterday comparing Trump's self-congratulatory remarks about the economy with the rapidly tumbling Dow.

I suppose he may claim that selling shares, like not applauding his SOTU address, is treason. Like most of us, I hope the current selling is just a course correction. The world needs another 2008 like it needs a hole in the head. But confidence is brittle at present, and with good reason.

One thing is for sure. Having taken undue credit for the boom, he's now set himself up to take responsibility for any bust.

This is driven by a probable interest rate rise due to wage inflation. Nothing like 2008.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

Indeed that is the hope. But confidence is a funny thing. And a lot of market analysts are sitting on the edge of their seats today, hoping this doesn't become a full blown bear market. There are long term consequences flowing from quantitative easing and tax cut stimulation.

One of the lessons of history is that the means of economic adjustment applied by governments and banks become less effective as they become more predictable. Investors adjust behaviour in advance.

So I hope you are right, Martin60. My instinct is 'wait and see'

--------------------

Rocinante
Shipmate
# 18541

- Posted      Profile for Rocinante   Email Rocinante   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As far as I can tell, this seems to be driven by a sentiment something along the lines of: "The buoyant world economy means companies will have to pay their workers more, so there'll be less cash for dividends, so I'm off to invest in property or just spend my profits".

Also many (most?) share trades are decided by algorithms maintained by institutional investors, and I'm guessing very few people know how they actually work.

Trump is as irrelevant to all this as any other individual.

Posts: 384 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2016  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rocinante:
As far as I can tell, this seems to be driven by a sentiment something along the lines of: "The buoyant world economy means companies will have to pay their workers more, so there'll be less cash for dividends, so I'm off to invest in property or just spend my profits".

Also many (most?) share trades are decided by algorithms maintained by institutional investors, and I'm guessing very few people know how they actually work.

Trump is as irrelevant to all this as any other individual.

The fewer people know then the greater the likelihood of "herd mentality", cf NINJA lending which led to the 2007 credit crunch, amongst other economic SNAFUs.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

There is a problem associated with the algorithms in common use. They consume a lot of data and spit out answers. They do this a lot quicker than human analysts do. So control over investment decisions is routinely ceded to what they spit out.

FWIW, the danger of herd behaviour because of the algorithms is that, even if separately written, they will tend to contain similar forecasting methods and come to the same conclusions. That's as best I understand it. They are necessary for rapid reaction, of course. But may turn out to be destabilising in practice.

Before this level of automation, there were always bulls and bears, taking differing views of the future. Now it's different.

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a tiny problem with this sort of event. If there are a lot of people selling, surely there are also a lot of people buying? Or am I missing something? Who would it be, presumably buying low to sell high at some time in the future?
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Indeed that is the hope. But confidence is a funny thing. And a lot of market analysts are sitting on the edge of their seats today, hoping this doesn't become a full blown bear market. There are long term consequences flowing from quantitative easing and tax cut stimulation.

One of the lessons of history is that the means of economic adjustment applied by governments and banks become less effective as they become more predictable. Investors adjust behaviour in advance.

Despite Wall Street's self-importance, one of the key things to remember is that the stock market is not the economy. And stock plunges don't necessarily always presage recessions. Case in point: the Crash of 1987 (a.k.a. "Black Monday") wasn't caused by any underlying economic factors but rather market psychology. Everyone was selling because everyone else was selling.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

quote:

Oh, you sweet summer child. Take responsibility? Are we talking about Lyin' Don here? When has he ever accepted responsibility for anything? It is the root of his character, that Nothing Is His Fault. Ever! Someone else is certainly to blame, like for instance
his predecessor, say the pinheads on Fox News. Of course after the debacle of the Wars of the Roses Obama's role cannot be denied; he's also on the hook for Pearl Harbor. And I'm sure that Hillary will come in on it any moment; it's probably in her emails.

More thoughtfully, a consideration of how to label this phenomenon. A name is a handle -- you can work with a thing, once it has a name. All these clicks should be free.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, Brenda - but Be Warned! That second link produces a full-screen image of the Hideous Orange Face..... [Projectile]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

Croesos

We agree. I'm waiting to see whether this is just market psychology, or there are real reasons to believe that the US economy has been destabilised. I think the jury is out at present.

Brenda

Now I'm 75 you can call me a sweet summer child any time you like. My wife loved it. It may become a family nickname.

But to be serious, Trump is only Teflon with his 35% core uncritical support. The other 65% will take further note.

So 'Little Adam Schiff' is a great big liar. Democrats who don't applaud him are unAmerican, traitorous. Nunes is a great American hero. Trump is totally vindicated by the Nunes memo despite key GOP voices saying 'no such thing'. Mueller is out to trap him into perjury. On and on it goes. And most of the GOP connive to support this nonsense. Its a mad, mad, mad, mad world.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Thanks, Brenda - but Be Warned! That second link produces a full-screen image of the Hideous Orange Face..... [Projectile]

IJ

There's a very popular app you can get, that automagically swaps out his face for that of a kitten.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:

IJ

There's a very popular app you can get, that automagically swaps out his face for that of a kitten.
Could I get a puppy instead?

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
Despite Wall Street's self-importance, one of the key things to remember is that the stock market is not the economy.

Quite true. That is why I ignored Trump when he was pointing to the stock market gains as proof that he was good for the economy. And why I will not dog-pile on Trump for the stock market decline. Although, to the extent the decline is because of fears of inflation, I pointed out many months ago that Trump's idea of increasing tariffs and "bringing back jobs from overseas" (where they went because it was cheaper) could only have the end result of triggering inflation. No surprise there.

On a side issue, despite Trump's railing against the US trade deficit, the trade deficit surged during his first year in office. And before anybody suggests that this is a hangover from Obama, I note that:
quote:
The deficit grew especially strongly in the final month of the year, adding 5.3 percent to reach $53.1 billion in December, the highest since October 2008.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Melania's reported marital problems always remind me of the old adage, "If you marry for money you'll be earning it for the rest of your life." She was the luckiest girl at the Kit Kat club that night and if it means she has to spend four long years, miles away from Tiffany's, in a house with very few gold furnishings then so be it.

She would get Barron. Marla got Trump's daughter. Trump doesn't want to bother scheduling nannys and dentist appointments.

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

The Christians responsible for Trump. This should be a free click.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Profoundly distressing.

[Disappointed]

The writer's use of the lower-case g when referring to 'god' is somehow quite powerful, though I'm not sure why.

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
Melania's reported marital problems always remind me of the old adage, "If you marry for money you'll be earning it for the rest of your life." She was the luckiest girl at the Kit Kat club that night and if it means she has to spend four long years, miles away from Tiffany's, in a house with very few gold furnishings then so be it.

She would get Barron. Marla got Trump's daughter. Trump doesn't want to bother scheduling nannys and dentist appointments.

Yeah, I put speculation about their marriage in the 'Trump is mad enough to trigger the maddie clause in the Constitution' category. It's either wishful thinking or click bait.

--------------------
Human

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So Trump is apparently being advised by his lawyers not to agree to an interview with Robert Mueller*:

quote:
Lawyers for President Trump have advised him against sitting down for a wide-ranging interview with the special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III, according to four people briefed on the matter, raising the specter of a monthslong court battle over whether the president must answer questions under oath.

His lawyers are concerned that the president, who has a history of making false statements and contradicting himself, could be charged with lying to investigators.

Of course, not agreeing to a voluntary interview with the Special Counsel isn't the same as avoiding the Special Counsel altogether.

quote:
Refusing to sit for an interview opens the possibility that Mr. Mueller will subpoena the president to testify before a grand jury, setting up a court fight that would drastically escalate the investigation and could be decided by the Supreme Court.
So the choice is to submit to a voluntary interview, which can be done with the assistance of counsel, or take a chance on being subpœnaed where you have to testify without benefit of counsel. Of course it may be that Trump's lawyers don't like either option and are just picking the one that puts off facing Mueller the longest, hoping that something happens in the interim to get everyone off the hook.

This seems to have occurred to at least one member of Trump's legal team.

quote:
One of the few voices arguing for cooperating with Mr. Mueller is Ty Cobb, the White House lawyer whom Mr. Trump also brought on to deal with Mr. Mueller’s investigation.
Cobb seems to have made the assessment that it's better for Trump to talk to Mueller with his own lawyers present than without.

New York magazine puts it a little more bluntly than the Times saying Trump's Lawyers Seem to Think He’s Incapable of Not Lying. (Unlike the Times that's a free click.)

--------------------
*The New York Times has a paywall which allows non-subscribers to read 5 articles per calendar month. Only click through if you're a NYT subscriber or are willing to use one of your five monthly Times passes to read about Trump dragging his feet with the Special Counsel.

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

I read somewhere that there could be an agreement to answer questions in writing [Disappointed]

Apart from that being a hallmark of a con I helped expose, is that a likelihood?

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
I read somewhere that there could be an agreement to answer questions in writing [Disappointed]

Apart from that being a hallmark of a con I helped expose, is that a likelihood?

That is entirely at the discretion of the Special Counsel, so I guess it depends on Mueller. From my perspective he seems unlikely to be satisfied with having all answers in writing, though he may be willing to accept the format for answering preliminary questions. For those with an extra four hours or so to kill you can amuse yourself by watching the video of Bill Clinton's testimony to Ken Starr's grand jury. That's for those who are too young (or have memories too short) to recall that the U.S. has been here before. Given all the precedents available I'm not seeing any way for Trump to entirely avoid in person conversation/testimony.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

This is a Post exclusive: Crooked Doin has ordered the Pentagon to prepare a parade. A big parade, the bigliest. Every time you think he's gotten as low as he can go, he beats your expectations.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

quote:

Given all the precedents available I'm not seeing any way for Trump to entirely avoid in person conversation/testimony.

Given his character and previous history as a witness, his advisers are, understandably, desperate to avoid that!

He lies and misrepresents routinely. There was a famous judge's quote about the disgraced UK politician John Stonehouse. 'For Mr Stonehouse, truth was a moving target'.

You can say that in spades for President Trump.

--------------------

Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

- Posted      Profile for Pangolin Guerre   Email Pangolin Guerre   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
This is a Post exclusive: Crooked Doin has ordered the Pentagon to prepare a parade. A big parade, the bigliest. Every time you think he's gotten as low as he can go, he beats your expectations.

I'm not surprised, but neither am I much disturbed. A military parade (if it must be, I'd prefer 11 November - too distant for Trump to take credit - indeed, the significance may have to be explained to him) merely makes manifest what everyone already knows: that Trump gets a woody from things military (oh, to be 16 again at military school...), and that the US is the preeminent military power, and uses that power, or threat of it, to dominate the world. Those who get upset about - and, not without some good reasons - the idea of a military parade are merely being forced to acknowledge their citizenship in the Imperium. Were I an American, I'd balk, but I would acknowledge some ugly truths.
Posts: 758 | From: 30 arpents de neige | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Ohher
Shipmate
# 18607

- Posted      Profile for Ohher   Author's homepage   Email Ohher   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pangolin Guerre:
Were I an American, I'd balk, but I would acknowledge some ugly truths.

As an American, I can think of better uses for the extravagant number of arpents de neige such a pointless display is going to cost. Is this a signal that Don-Don wonders if his days are numbered? Parade now, jail later?

[ 07. February 2018, 00:23: Message edited by: Ohher ]

--------------------
From the Land of the Native American Brave and the Home of the Buy-One-Get-One-Free

Posts: 374 | From: New Hampshire, USA | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged
romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

- Posted      Profile for romanlion     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Given all the precedents available I'm not seeing any way for Trump to entirely avoid in person conversation/testimony.

Given his character and previous history as a witness, his advisers are, understandably, desperate to avoid that!

He lies and misrepresents routinely. There was a famous judge's quote about the disgraced UK politician John Stonehouse. 'For Mr Stonehouse, truth was a moving target'.

You can say that in spades for President Trump.

Little wonder that as a rookie he plays this game so effectively. Must be infuriating for those that have been practicing for decades...

--------------------
"You can't get rich in politics unless you're a crook" - Harry S. Truman

Posts: 1486 | From: White Rose City | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  76  77  78  79  80  81  82  ...  86  87  88 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016