homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » Oops - your Trump presidency discussion thread (Page 80)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  77  78  79  80  81  82  83  ...  86  87  88 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Oops - your Trump presidency discussion thread
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
This is a Post exclusive: Crooked Doin has ordered the Pentagon to prepare a parade. A big parade, the bigliest. Every time you think he's gotten as low as he can go, he beats your expectations.

For those with no access to the Washington Post, here's the CNN story about it.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jesus Christ. I am getting truly afraid. Anyone who is naive enough to think that the military, Ora Congress, or the Supreme Court, is going to keep Der Trumpenführer in check is a fool.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

- Posted      Profile for Pangolin Guerre   Email Pangolin Guerre   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ohher:
quote:
Originally posted by Pangolin Guerre:
Were I an American, I'd balk, but I would acknowledge some ugly truths.

As an American, I can think of better uses for the extravagant number of arpents de neige such a pointless display is going to cost. Is this a signal that Don-Don wonders if his days are numbered? Parade now, jail later?
I don't think that Trump thinks that his days are numbered. I'm not certain that they are numbered.

From the Ugly Truth Department: This is like moving the embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem. The move puts on full display the fact that the US has long ceased to be an 'honest broker' in the mideast. Similarly a military parade would publicly acknowledge the role of the military in politics at home and abroad: economically and psychologically. No more fig leaves.

Posts: 758 | From: 30 arpents de neige | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
worst case scenario: only 7 years to go.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes! Let's have a military parade! The French did one on Bastille Day and we have to top that one. No problem that it will cost millions of dollars. No problem that Washington streets can't support 70-ton tanks. Sounds like someone has a problem with the size of his penis.

BTW, I think the Brits are also known for presenting great military parades. Let's see the OO top yours as well.

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
if it must be, I'd prefer 11 November

This would be the most offensive date to choose - the day when so many millions of people are stopping to remember the tragedy of war. The fucking Yanks didn't win WW1. In fact NO ONE won. It was a monstrous cock-up from start to finish, whose impacts we are still living through. The eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month is a time for silence and mourning. Not a time for militaristic willy waving.

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gramps49:
Yes! Let's have a military parade! The French did one on Bastille Day and we have to top that one. No problem that it will cost millions of dollars. No problem that Washington streets can't support 70-ton tanks.

Let’s hope all is miscalculated and the tanks fall into holes in the road causing complete chaos and gridlock. Let him be shown up for what he is, a Trumped up dictator in waiting.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Trump gets a woody from things military

Woody feet, apparently.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Rocinante
Shipmate
# 18541

- Posted      Profile for Rocinante   Email Rocinante   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gramps49:

BTW, I think the Brits are also known for presenting great military parades. Let's see the OO top yours as well.

We have the annual ceremony of Trooping the Colour, which marks the sovereign's (official) birthday by inviting him/her to inspect the troops that traditionally guard the royal household.

It involves about 1200 blokes in retro uniforms marching around Horseguards Parade. We don't go in for the tanks 'n' missiles thing - very vulgar.

Posts: 384 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2016  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by simontoad:
worst case scenario: only 7 years to go.

Assuming he doesn't have the numbers to amend the constitution, or simply declare a state of emergency.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eirenist
Shipmate
# 13343

- Posted      Profile for Eirenist         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Presumably the object is to demonstrate that he has Made America Great Again.

--------------------
'I think I think, therefore I think I am'

Posts: 486 | From: Darkest Metroland | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by romanlion:
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:

Given all the precedents available I'm not seeing any way for Trump to entirely avoid in person conversation/testimony.

Given his character and previous history as a witness, his advisers are, understandably, desperate to avoid that!

He lies and misrepresents routinely. There was a famous judge's quote about the disgraced UK politician John Stonehouse. 'For Mr Stonehouse, truth was a moving target'.

You can say that in spades for President Trump.

Little wonder that as a rookie he plays this game so effectively. Must be infuriating for those that have been practicing for decades...
It's pretty easy for him to be effective with his loyal 35% base support.

But for the others? He's too obviously a purveyor of snake oil. And he lies, blatantly, frequently, relentlessly. As we have daily proof.

Plus he has zero interest in defending the Constitution of the United States, as he promised when taking office, if principles like separation of powers get in the way of what he wants to do.

So I don't think you can describe his lying skills as on any kind of previous Presidential news management scale. He's in a class of one. And should serve as a dreadful warning against any repetition.

[ 07. February 2018, 09:14: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
I read somewhere that there could be an agreement to answer questions in writing [Disappointed]

Apart from that being a hallmark of a con I helped expose, is that a likelihood?

The fabled Reading Outpouring?

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
06:11:12:20:03:08

[ 07. February 2018, 09:27: Message edited by: Martin60 ]

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Martin60

Mild rebuke coming up.

Some of us can work out your codes. But they are a form of disrespect to the many Shipmates asking what the hell are you up to now.

Translate, please

Barnabas62
Purgatory Host

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:

I think that's 6 years 11 months 12 days 20 hours 3 minutes and 8 seconds

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
posted by Gramps49
quote:
Actually no, we don't really have any military parades as such. The closest you'll find with all three branches of the military (sea, land and air) represented is in the procession at the end of a coronation.

What we do have is Trooping the Colour but it only involves land troops from a very small section of the army, plus a small fly past once the royal family have returned to the palace.

The choreography of Trooping the Colour has been refined over many, many years and is all based around the ceremonial heart of London. Frankly, the possibility of DT, the Pentagon, or any combination of those being able to pull off something similar - but MUCH BIGGER OF COURSE - within 6 months is nil.

[ 07. February 2018, 10:25: Message edited by: L'organist ]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, we can look forward to the sight of The Great Lord Of The West standing on his podium wearing his square fur hat (dyed orange, to match the pile of cat fur he usually wears), taking the salute as THE BIGLIEST ARMY IN THE WORLD marches past.

Wouldn't it be fun if they all did a Moonie as they went by?

Or went round the corner, wheeled back, arrested the GLOTW, and carted him off to jug?

[Two face]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps the military personnel will just all pull a sickie that day.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ohher
Shipmate
# 18607

- Posted      Profile for Ohher   Author's homepage   Email Ohher   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rogue:

I initially misread that as "sickle."

--------------------
From the Land of the Native American Brave and the Home of the Buy-One-Get-One-Free

Posts: 374 | From: New Hampshire, USA | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
quote:

I think that's 6 years 11 months 12 days 20 hours 3 minutes and 8 seconds
Sure. But why not just say only xxxxxxxxxx maximum until all this agony is over? Any more chat in the Styx please.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by The Rogue:

I initially misread that as "sickle."
And a hammer. To keep the old school Russkies happy.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

- Posted      Profile for Pangolin Guerre   Email Pangolin Guerre   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oscar the Grouch:
quote:
if it must be, I'd prefer 11 November

This would be the most offensive date to choose - the day when so many millions of people are stopping to remember the tragedy of war. The fucking Yanks didn't win WW1. In fact NO ONE won. It was a monstrous cock-up from start to finish, whose impacts we are still living through. The eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month is a time for silence and mourning. Not a time for militaristic willy waving.
That's part of my point. The other proposed dates don't have death quite so front and centre (at least, not in my estimation - I invite American shipmates to correct me). It's not a "victory day", so rather undercuts any attempt at triumphalism. As a global comparison of observances on that day, the Americans would invite ridicule and opprobium if they were to try to turn it into a jingo-fest.
Posts: 758 | From: 30 arpents de neige | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They always do something in the US on Veterans Day, and as I recall it is often a parade in Washington DC -- my son marched in it once, with his Reserve company. It is always unmilitaristic, with Scout troupes and people dressed as George Washington or Uncle Sam, and very minor local officials sitting in convertibles waving at people who don't recognize them. Lots of flags, no armaments.
A more truly American parade is the local 4th of July or Memorial Day parades. These often involve the Shriners (aka the Masons) in their various costume iterations, clowns, horses, hillbillies, and so forth. There are floats, constructed by scout groups or even the senior citizen home. The library always has a Library Cart Drill Team and I have marched wrangling a giant balloon (in the shape of an eagle; by being inattentive to our cables we could make the eagle's wings flap). Because this is the mid-Atlantic there's always people dressed in Colonial costume, a group of people in Civil War uniforms, and at least four or five high school marching bands. These parades are truly fun; everyone brings the kids and a good time is had by all -- the true America.
But since there is no weaponry the phallic needs of the pussygrabber will not be met, and so he has to have something different.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a stark difference between Veterans' Day and Armistice Day (11th November) or Remembrance Sunday.

Veterans' Day is to "honor", i.e. celebrate living people who have served in the military; the US war dead are remembered on Memorial Day.

Given DJT's clouded involvement with things military I'd have thought his wishing to have an event highlighting that to be evidence of either hubris or insanity, possibly both. For him to choose to have a vainglorious military display on 11th November would be an especial affront to the UK and France (among others) who lost so many in WWI when US casualties from combat were fewer than India, Canada or Bulgaria.

[ 07. February 2018, 13:42: Message edited by: L'organist ]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

I hear that the battle tanks will chew up the tarmac. Wonder about heavy duty missile carriers?

Also whether the Donald will use some kind of straight arm salute.

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
El Presidente’s relationship to France and Manu Macron intrigues me. Trump’s interest in a big military parade is clearly motivated by being invited to the 14th of July here. (BTW – driving tanks over the roads does indeed knacker them. The state of the roads in Paris is generally shocking – I endeavour to read a book as I ride the bus most days, and can tell you exactly where the roads are where this is strictly impossible because of the juddering. The Champs Elysées is one and the armoured vehicles do nothing to improve matters.)

A couple of things: Manu turned up on the Champs Elysées in the back of an open-top military vehicle, waving and flashing his pearly-whites at the crowds, which had to impress El Presidente. I think it’s safe to assume that Manu was wearing a bullet-proof vest underneath his snappy tailoring, but nonetheless the chance of Trump being allowed to do the same is exactly zero. Post-JFK, US Presidents Do. Not. Do drive-bys in open vehicles. Ever.

Beyond that, Trump seems to get on with Macron, and even to rather admire him. This fascinates me because Macron has made it clear from the famous handshake wars on that he is not going to be pushed around by the big orange aberration. Supremely arrogant as he is, Manu seems to me genuinely to enjoy standing up to bullies (Exhibit the first: Vladimir Putin. Exhibit the second: Recep Erdogan) and somehow this wins Trump’s respect.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
posted by Gramps49
quote:
Actually no, we don't really have any military parades as such. The closest you'll find with all three branches of the military (sea, land and air) represented is in the procession at the end of a coronation.

What we do have is Trooping the Colour but it only involves land troops from a very small section of the army, plus a small fly past once the royal family have returned to the palace.

The choreography of Trooping the Colour has been refined over many, many years and is all based around the ceremonial heart of London. Frankly, the possibility of DT, the Pentagon, or any combination of those being able to pull off something similar - but MUCH BIGGER OF COURSE - within 6 months is nil.

As a GLA* I get a bit twitchy about military stuff like Trooping of the Colour, Remembrance et. al. but I am generally reassured by my interaction with military and ex-military people. The people I worry about are people who wouldn't dream of joining the armed services but identify strongly wit the military. Like Don.. ah, my bad, forget I said anything.

*Good Little Augustinian, thank you for asking.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Given his character and previous history as a witness, his advisers are, understandably, desperate to avoid that!

He lies and misrepresents routinely. There was a famous judge's quote about the disgraced UK politician John Stonehouse. 'For Mr Stonehouse, truth was a moving target'.

Little wonder that as a rookie he plays this game so effectively. Must be infuriating for those that have been practicing for decades...
It seems inaccurate to portray Donald Trump as a "rookie" liar. He's been lying publicly for decades, from falsely telling black apartment seekers he has nothing available to telling his construction contractors that the check is in the mail to claiming that every instructor at Trump "University" was hand-picked by him to all three sets of his wedding vows. And Trump isn't even especially good at it, despite his years of near constant practice. His lies are still fairly transparent and laughably self-serving.

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
quote:
Trump gets a woody from things military

Woody feet, apparently.
Trump's military posturing and accusations of treason against anyone who doesn't clap hard enough for him ("Tinker Bell Syndrome"?) seems to have gotten up the nose of Tammy Duckworth:

quote:
We don't live in a dictatorship or a monarchy. I swore an oath — in the military and in the Senate — to preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States, not to mindlessly cater to the whims of Cadet Bone Spurs and clap when he demands I clap
For those who are unfamiliar with her, Senator Duckworth (D-IL) is a retired Lieutenant Colonel who lost both legs in combat in Iraq.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I wondered about General Genitalgrabber the Great doing a straight-arm salute.

I also wondered if he could manage a straight-willy salute, to match the ICBMs....

I'll get me coat...

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Yes, I wondered about General Genitalgrabber the Great doing a straight-arm salute.

Some of his more ardent supporters already have that covered.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
El Presidente’s relationship to France and Manu Macron intrigues me. Trump’s interest in a big military parade is clearly motivated by being invited to the 14th of July here.

This is the root of the trouble. Crooked Don is very, very VERY easily influenced for evil. I could really wish that Macron had invited him to a book circle, or Euro Disney, or a tour of the Paris Catacombs. A mistaken hospitable impulse and we're all on the hook for this.

More seriously from the Atlantic, an analysis of the Trump/FBI issues.

[ 07. February 2018, 14:43: Message edited by: Brenda Clough ]

--------------------

romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

- Posted      Profile for romanlion     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

It seems inaccurate to portray Donald Trump as a "rookie" liar.
I thought it was obvious enough that no POTUS is a rookie liar. The "game" I refer to is the national political game.

--------------------
"You can't get rich in politics unless you're a crook" - Harry S. Truman

Posts: 1486 | From: White Rose City | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

M. Macron is clearly playing the Lord of Modern Mordor for the fool he is (the LOMM, I mean), but perhaps Manu is going just a game too far.

One can only hope that a VERY BIGLY sinkhole appears immediately under his BIGLIEST PODIUM IN THE WORLD just as the Orange Lord takes the salute.

Of course, if such an enticing event does occur, it will be because America Is Great Again, And Has Biglier Sinkholes Than Shithole Countries...

Covfefe, anyone?

IJ

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
I thought it was obvious enough that no POTUS is a rookie liar. The "game" I refer to is the national political game.

Given that you were responding to (and quoting) B62's post about Trump's indifferent relationship with the truth, it doesn't seem that obvious you were talking about "the national political game". On that level Trump certainly isn't "play[ing] this game so effectively". Despite Republicans having control of all branches of the federal government their only significant accomplishment to date is a highly unpopular tax bill which Trump had almost nothing to do with.

Donald "Shutdown" Trump having trouble keeping the lights on is not what anyone else considers "effective", and it's kind of appalling that you consider the actual human suffering this would involve to be a "game".

--------------------

HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
While Trump is a habitual liar and a pathological liar, he really is not very good at it. If you tell a really good lie, no one ever detects it. Robert Heinlein commented once that telling a wholly successful lie is as difficult as composing a wholly successful opera.

I have heard (I don't recall where) that one of the most talented liars in history was Niccolo Macchiavelli, who stayed in practice by lying to his friends and family--and they couldn't tell. Trump is no Macchiavelli. (Also, of course, Macchiavelli was a great admirer of the republic, not the principality, as a system of government, another difference from Trump.)

The very slickest way to lie, of course, is to tell the exact truth, all of it and nothing more, but to do so unconvincingly. (Some preachers do this, perhaps unwittingly.)

Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
One can only hope that a VERY BIGLY sinkhole appears immediately under his BIGLIEST PODIUM IN THE WORLD just as the Orange Lord takes the salute.

Of course, if such an enticing event does occur, it will be because America Is Great Again, And Has Biglier Sinkholes Than Shithole Countries...

Covfefe, anyone?

IJ

If it happens (please!), it will certainly be Obama's fault, or maybe Hillary's.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

oh the money tangent, it looks like a course correction, rather than some underlying loss of confidence. And that's good news for now.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

The local government says Tanks but No Tanks.

“I don’t think anyone believes this would be about trying to honor men and women who serve our country. This would only be about feeding one man’s ego,” said Council member Charles Allen (D-Ward 6). Non-Americans should know that the District of Columbia, and all the affiliated suburbs for a day's drive all around, are resolutely blue and voted for Clinton.

In theory the federal government would pay to repave the roads after the tanks chew up the pavement, but you'd be a fool to trust Crooked Don's promises of future compensation. (What is he going to do, use the money that Mexico is going to give us for the wall?) And the traffic tie-ups while they relay the asphalt are horrible to contemplate.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
In theory the federal government would pay to repave the roads after the tanks chew up the pavement, but you'd be a fool to trust Crooked Don's promises of future compensation.

Given the Republicans' persistent inability to appropriate a regular budget, this is a very reasonable position.

--------------------

LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A friend of mine confesses to a naughty fantasy involving Herr Trumpenführer riding down Pennsylvania Ave. Slim Pickens style, atop a missile launcher...whoopsie!

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On reflection, I think that there should be a bloody big military parade in Washington. With the following provisos:
  • Date to be somewhere in November (AFTER 11th) or January
  • The parade should be at least 5 hours in length, to allow for all branches of the military to be fully included
  • Regulations should be established the Commander -in-Chief should be present, standing, at all times.
  • Regulations should also state that the C-i-C should - out of respect for the brave men and women of the armed forces - remain bareheaded for the entire duration of the parade. In addition, any type of awning, covering or umbrellas should be absolutely forbidden.
Then let the Orange Ego stand there in a winter's storm for 5+ hours and let's see how long he lasts....

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

I think the Cat On His Head would succumb first...but he could probably save it. After all, he's good at grabbing pussies.

[Two face]

IJ

--------------------

Ohher
Shipmate
# 18607

- Posted      Profile for Ohher   Author's homepage   Email Ohher   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
44.2's Veep, aides, and above, his Cabinet likewise. Also Speaker of the House and Senate President -- we cannot leave them out.

Maybe the Koch brothers, too? It's their coup, after all.

--------------------
From the Land of the Native American Brave and the Home of the Buy-One-Get-One-Free

Posts: 374 | From: New Hampshire, USA | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
El Presidente’s relationship to France and Manu Macron intrigues me. Trump’s interest in a big military parade is clearly motivated by being invited to the 14th of July here.

Well, that is what they are saying now, but it was reported as far back as Trump's January 2017 inauguration that he wanted a big military parade. So attributing it to him seeing a military parade in France in July is what politicians like to call "spin" and the rest of humanity calls "a lie."

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:
quote:

Well, that is what they are saying now, but it was reported as far back as Trump's January 2017 inauguration that he wanted a big military parade. So attributing it to him seeing a military parade in France in July is what politicians like to call "spin" and the rest of humanity calls "a lie."
Actually it's called "quoting the available sources":

quote:
“The marching orders were: I want a parade like the one in France,” said a military official who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the planning discussions are supposed to remain confidential. “This is being worked at the highest levels of the military.”
Yes, Trump is a petty authoritarian who has always longed for a North Korean / Soviet style military parade and did indeed want such a spectacle for his inauguration, but apparently the French display prodded his gnat-like memory to re-prioritize this desire. Seeing the event in France (which we infer from our anonymous "military official") is what stirred the feelings of inadequacy in the short-fingered vulgarian and why this has apparently re-emerged as a priority now. Somewhat similar to his recent 'hey wait, didn't I say I'd do something about opioids?' moves.

[ 07. February 2018, 21:05: Message edited by: Crœsos ]

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

quote:

Sorry, EST years, months, days, hours, minutes, seconds of Trump presidency remaining as at 08:56:52 GMT this morning.

[ 07. February 2018, 21:12: Message edited by: Martin60 ]

--------------------
Love wins

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LutheranChik:
A friend of mine confesses to a naughty fantasy involving Herr Trumpenführer riding down Pennsylvania Ave. Slim Pickens style, atop a missile launcher...whoopsie!

"Wal, shoo! We'll have that parade if it harelips every newborn in Foggy Bottom!" (Apologies to the late great Slim Pickens and Stanley Kubrick.)

[ 07. February 2018, 21:40: Message edited by: Amanda B. Reckondwythe ]

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

- Posted      Profile for romanlion     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
44.2's Veep, aides, and above, his Cabinet likewise. Also Speaker of the House and Senate President -- we cannot leave them out.

Better mention them twice then.

--------------------
"You can't get rich in politics unless you're a crook" - Harry S. Truman

Posts: 1486 | From: White Rose City | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Actually it's called "quoting the available sources"

All that means is that he has been lying about his "inspiration" since July. Give Trump some credit: even he is not so stupid as to say "I want a parade like my handler Vlad Putin has!"

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  77  78  79  80  81  82  83  ...  86  87  88 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016