homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » Difficult relatives (Page 20)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  ...  45  46  47 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Difficult relatives
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
WTAF?

Kelly, you have my respect for the crazee

Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK Kelly, toilet paper revenge.

1. Unroll the entire roll right to the end.

2. Write random quote/saying on the last piece.

3. Re-roll.

No, not my idea, inherited from an uncle-by-marriage.

Realise it would be time consuming but if you did every roll in the house... [Killing me]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A bit more simple - separate the two plies of the toilet paper and just unwind the top one over the roll once; tear off the surplus length. The perforations will not now line up.

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The surge of creativity. Maybe we got Heaven thread potential here.

(Ann- did that. She just did it back. I felt stupid for play g her game. Oh, well, it's. Tough being the sane one.)

[ 29. May 2014, 22:37: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
You should engage in revenge origami.

This might be worth it, and I could just invoke my artiste persona to justify it.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
a slight tangent
my favorite origami
/tangent

Perhaps you should take her origami, glue it to one of your matte boards and draw a charcoal sketch around it and hang it on the wall. I don't know what the caption should be though "memories of mother" might be good.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

- Posted      Profile for jbohn   Author's homepage   Email jbohn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Ok cool, I have confirmation on the crazy.

This isn't just age, either, this cockamamie bathroom stuff has bern going on since I was a kid.

Sounds (if you'll pardon the expression) crazier than a shithouse rat...

--------------------
We are punished by our sins, not for them.
--Elbert Hubbard

Posts: 989 | From: East of Eden, west of St. Paul | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

1. She learned a lot of this stuff from Dad.

2. She is definitely Salieri to Dad's Mozart.

--------------------

Erik
Shipmate
# 11406

- Posted      Profile for Erik   Email Erik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Am I the only one who is increasingly developing a mental picture of some kind of zoo where Kelly's mum wanders around a cage with all of us peering through the bars while Kelly (dressed as a zoo-keeper) instructs us on an especially strange species.

(cue David Attenbough-style voice)
And here we see Motherus fruitbattius. Note the various examples of 'toilet-paper origami' which have been deposited around the enclosure. This is believed to be some kind of territorial marker produced in an attempt to achieve the status of dominant female.

--------------------
One day I will think of something worth saying here.

Posts: 96 | From: Leeds, UK | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I want to quotes file that, Erik, but I think it needs the content of the thread.
Actually Laughed Out Loud.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
1. She learned a lot of this stuff from Dad.

2. She is definitely Salieri to Dad's Mozart.

Hmm. Does that mean that your dad is a Mozart of crazy malice compared to your mom's Mozart-wannabe Salieri? Or that your dad is a well meaning Mozart doofus compared to your mom's poisonous Salieri? Enquiring minds...

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Well IRL Salieri wasn't poisonous, but the comparison I was going for was the the first one.

If I went into my dad stories, things would stop being funny really fast.

[ 02. June 2014, 17:51: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just really pissed off by families.

I heard third hand that my sister's partner committed suicide last week - and have no way to do anything about it. She pretty much blanked all my attempts to get back in contact over the last few years. I didn't even know she was back in a relationship.

Families suck. Dysfunctional families suck big time.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Dysfunctional families suck big time.

^ This ^
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Taliesin
Shipmate
# 14017

- Posted      Profile for Taliesin   Email Taliesin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kelly, you have to move out. Today. I realise my house is inconveniently located on the wrong continent, but what the hell? You need to be somewhere else, because this is mad. Pick a friend, come and stay. The uk is nice, I promise.
Posts: 2138 | From: South, UK | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I reckon we could sort out a great rota.

And I promise not to introduce you to my mother-in-law.

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Seriously?? SERIOUSLY???

I just need to update my passport. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You could come this way...

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I could add a spare bed to the rota - not now, but soon.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Come and sample the delights of the Cotswolds. [Smile]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You know where else you can stay, Fluffybunbuns?

Hell.

I'll shovel some extra brimstone into the furnace just for you. Make you feel right at home. Even throw in a screeching harpy, no charge. You won't even notice you've moved.

[ 23. June 2014, 15:23: Message edited by: Ariston ]

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Taliesin
Shipmate
# 14017

- Posted      Profile for Taliesin   Email Taliesin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
my fucking DR can fuck right off.
And she probably will, because I sent a text to say so.
and now I'll feel guilty.
And when she dies, as she undoubtedly will from sheer spite, we can all stand at her grave feeling guilty and resentful.
what a waste of a god given life.

Posts: 2138 | From: South, UK | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There will be many a glass raised to the memory of my DR when she kicks her boots.

…I've mentioned she's radically teetotal?

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have an elaborate prank you could pull on a relative who is a bit...cold. Hee hee hee...it's elaborate but funny, I think. This prank has to be done in bitter cold weather.

1.Take their mattress of their bed.
2.Drag it outside and thoroughly cover it with cold water from the hose. Make sure to get the water into every nook and cranny of the mattress. 3. Leave the mattress outside to freeze overnight.
4. The next day, wrestle the now frozen mattress back into their bedroom and heave it onto the box spring. Make the victim's bed as usual.
5. Wait until they try to sleep in it. "Are you cold? I feel so cold! Something is wrong! My sheets are freezing!"

I never tried this as it seems too much work and also, I don't hate anyone that much. [Snigger]

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Elaborate and frankly improbable.

A block of ice 6 x 3 x 1.5 ft weighs how much? And since few bedrooms are maintained at subzero temperatures, the impending bed-goer doesn't notice the bedding is sopping wet and puddles are forming on the floor?

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Taliesin:

And when she dies, as she undoubtedly will from sheer spite, we can all stand at her grave feeling guilty and resentful.

Which means you will really need to bring a bottle of champagne and play Twister on the gravesite to sooth your feelings.

--------------------

The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:

A block of ice 6 x 3 x 1.5 ft weighs how much? And since few bedrooms are maintained at subzero temperatures, the impending bed-goer doesn't notice the bedding is sopping wet and puddles are forming on the floor?

Well, it SOUNDED fun.

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

quote:
Originally posted by The5thMary:
quote:

Well, it SOUNDED fun.
No, it sounded dumb. If it creates loads of work for you to create a minor inconvenience for somebody else that you'll have to clean up anyway, then it's just work for no gain.

--------------------

chive

Ship's nude
# 208

- Posted      Profile for chive   Email chive   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My mother, who may have been mentioned before on this thread, last week bought a make of tablet on the recommendation of my sister who has one. She phoned me up and told me about this and I mentioned I'd never even seen one of that make.

Since then she has phoned me six times asking me how to do things on said tablet. Each time I've informed her I have absolutely no idea as I don't own any tablet, let alone the one she has as she knows, and therefore don't know how to download what ever passive aggressive evoprayer app she desperately wants.

Eventually after she'd phoned me twice at work on the same day I asked her why she didn't phone my sister who actually had a tablet exactly the same and could probably help and was told, 'because she's got a proper job and I wouldn't want to interrupt her.'

--------------------
'Edward was the kind of man who thought there was no such thing as a lesbian, just a woman who hadn't done one-to-one Bible study with him.' Catherine Fox, Love to the Lost

Posts: 3542 | From: the cupboard under the stairs | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You need caller ID

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Problem with screening out the crazy relative is that the day you refuse to talk to them is the day they want to tell you something important to you, like your grandmother has died, not the trivialities that are important to them.

--------------------

JonahMan
Shipmate
# 12126

- Posted      Profile for JonahMan   Email JonahMan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
chive: find out how to wipe the hard disk, or something equally fatal, and talk her through that process. Doubt you will be seen as the expert after that. Or possibly worth talking to at all.

Consider it verbal judo, using the DR's annoying habit against them.

--------------------
Thank God for the aged
And old age itself, and illness and the grave
For when you're old, or ill and particularly in the coffin
It's no trouble to behave

Posts: 914 | From: Planet Zog | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
Problem with screening out the crazy relative is that the day you refuse to talk to them is the day they want to tell you something important to you, like your grandmother has died, not the trivialities that are important to them.

That's why God created answering machines.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My mother-in-law used to leave little messages on the answerphone that were just whimpers. Occasionally there would be a whispered 'Oh, whatever am I going to do?' Fear makes you return calls like those, but there was never anything wrong beyond the tragedy of having to speak into an answering machine.

She got over that (I can't remember how), and now she just barks out 'It's Mum.' Never any suggestion as to whether there is anything wrong or she is just making a social call, but we assume that if she doesn't ask us to call her back we don't need to do so with any haste.

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

- Posted      Profile for Starbug   Email Starbug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mother-in-law phoned Mr Bug recently, on arriving back home from a holiday with her sister and his husband. She was upset about coming home to an empty house, as her partner died two years ago. Fair enough, but how is her son supposed to deal with his mother crying down the phone 'How am I going to live without him?', then hanging up on him and refusing to answer when he tries to call her back? She said she had gone to the toilet, but somehow I don't believe it.

[ 24. June 2014, 12:11: Message edited by: Starbug ]

--------------------
“Oh the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?” ― The Day of the Doctor

Posts: 1189 | From: West of the New Forest | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[brick wall] [brick wall] [brick wall]

So, I have to remember that I know A about B, but I'm to pretend to C that I don't know A about B. Because if C knew I knew A about B, he might deduce that I also know D about C. Which I do. But I'm supposed to pretend that I don't.

Do other families have a complicated set of rules about who knows what about whom?

The worst one involves a man now in his 80s, whom I have never met, not least because he emigrated to Australia before I was born.

I was told, as a child, that I must never ask who his father was. The fact that I was unlikely to ask such a question about someone who a) was quite a distant relative anyway and b) I had never met and was never likely to meet was irrelevent. This was the question that must never be asked.

The point of the secrecy was to stop the man himself ever knowing who his father was.

When I was 18, I was told who his father was. Apparently, the whole family (and if distant relatives like me were included we must have been talking about well over a hundred people) had to be told once they were adults, so that they could help keep the secret. I know one of my second cousins was also told when he was 18, so it wasn't just me.

This is weird, isn't it? It's not normal family stuff, is it?

anoesis
Shipmate
# 14189

- Posted      Profile for anoesis   Email anoesis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:

The point of the secrecy was to stop the man himself ever knowing who his father was.

When I was 18, I was told who his father was. Apparently, the whole family (and if distant relatives like me were included we must have been talking about well over a hundred people) had to be told once they were adults, so that they could help keep the secret. I know one of my second cousins was also told when he was 18, so it wasn't just me.

This is weird, isn't it? It's not normal family stuff, is it?

This is weird, yes - this particular instance. Massively weird, in fact. If you want something to be kept a secret you would usually NOT tell everyone surrounding a person...

However, I think the business of there being cliques within families which share information that is not necessarily then broadcast is not inherently weird. I suppose it might not be 100% healthy, however. I'm probably just trying to rationalise my own position here, whereby my sister and I tend to report to each other on conversations had with our mother. The main point of this is not gossip, but because at some juncture it became apparent to us that we were not being told the same stories about or given the same explanations for things. So we cross-reference. But it does sometimes lead to that whole thing where you remind yourself that, theoretically, you are hearing this for the first and only time, and you'd better adjust your face accordingly...

--------------------
The history of humanity give one little hope that strength left to its own devices won't be abused. Indeed, it gives one little ground to think that strength would continue to exist if it were not abused. -- Dafyd --

Posts: 993 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Personally, I hope somebody dropped a line to the bloke in Australia saying 'Your da was that big guy in the black cape with the breathy voice you never got on with'.

But Knowledge is Power after all, so I suppose it could be seen as some kind of status enhancer. Also, it sounds as if it comes from an era (which I remember) in which a great many more things were scandalous - but one in which you were likely to spend your life in close proximity to the same people. Hence a need to construct elaborate pretences to protect both your own reputation and to channel the potentially disruptive knowledge of what was really happening.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by anoesis:
However, I think the business of there being cliques within families which share information that is not necessarily then broadcast is not inherently weird. I suppose it might not be 100% healthy, however. I'm probably just trying to rationalise my own position here, whereby my sister and I tend to report to each other on conversations had with our mother. The main point of this is not gossip, but because at some juncture it became apparent to us that we were not being told the same stories about or given the same explanations for things. So we cross-reference.

This! My sister and I realised at some point that Dad was being seriously manipulative (the kinder version was confused and forgetful). So we used to have to spend hours on the phone to each other relaying in detail the contents of our visits and conversations with him. The first thing we would do on arriving home would be to ring each other and download it all before we forgot the detail.

We also discovered that the versions of events that Dad was conveying to other relatives and friends was often seriously inaccurate and had to have some difficult conversations with some people in order to encourage them to communicate directly with us if they felt the need.

Dad was very into telling people 'Don't tell the girls'. He never told us anything. He didn't like the right hand to know what the left hand was doing. This led to some serious problems which had a very bad impact on his quality of life, although he could never see that this was a consequence of his behaviour.

Quite frankly it was a relief when he died and we didn't have to do all the constant having every conversation and interaction several times anymore.

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Posts: 600 | From: Cloud Cuckoo Land | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:

So, I have to remember that I know A about B, but I'm to pretend to C that I don't know A about B. Because if C knew I knew A about B, he might deduce that I also know D about C. Which I do. But I'm supposed to pretend that I don't.

Oh yeah. The minute I'm told not to tell C about A, A weighs on my mind every second I'm talking to C, so that it becomes like a form of Tourette's just dying to burst forth, so that I can't really think of anything else to say.

But, recently, time passed and I was chatting to B about something very different when I made a glancing reference to A as though it was something we all knew and now I'm in waiting for the other shoe to drop.

In other news, Kelley Alves's mother has become a sort of home companion to me. I can't take a shower without thinking about her. I try to find explanations for her. I turn the shower head around various ways, thinking maybe it drips when it's down and doesn't when it's up. I won't go in to the toilet paper issue.

[ 08. July 2014, 12:14: Message edited by: Twilight ]

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

quote:
Also, it sounds as if it comes from an era (which I remember) in which a great many more things were scandalous - but one in which you were likely to spend your life in close proximity to the same people. Hence a need to construct elaborate pretences to protect both your own reputation and to channel the potentially disruptive knowledge of what was really happening.
That's exactly the situation. His parents both lived in the same small village, had been dating openly, but his mother didn't want to marry his father. When he was born the entire village knew who his father was. His father then married another girl from the same small village and had children. At some point someone (his mother? his father? his father's wife?) decided that he ought not to know that the children of the marriage were his half-siblings (they all lived in the village and all went to the same village school) and this elaborate secrecy thing grew up, whereby everybody knew, but conspired to make sure that neither he, nor his half-siblings, knew.
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Presumably, to avoid accidental incest, whilst also avoiding the public stigma of being a bastard.

We had a similar related situation in our family a generation back. It got resolved when a particular set of people had died off.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

Possibly - but by the time I was told who his father was, all the children were in their 50s or late 40s. Quite apart from the fact that he was in Australia.

But the whole "tell everyone so they can keep it a secret" was still ongoing.

mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My father has spent 6 months not speaking to me. This is currently pressing, as yesterday was his birthday, and not having been able to ring then, I feel a duty to ring now. Cards were sent, made by my daughters, which avoided the 'happy birthday from the guy you were pretending had stopped existing' conundrum, to some degree.

Perhaps the kids can ring him. I'll report back on my here, public, bet that the second sentence whichever kid will utter, will be "because we wanted to wish you a happy birthday".

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Oh, Good Lord. Commiseration alert.

Somewhere out in the net-iverse I have an essay I wrote about the 2 year period in which my stepfather pretty much stopped acknowledging my presence. In and of itself this didn't bother me-- the less I had to talk to him the better-- but it became a problem because 1. We were living in the same house and 2. I was required to loudly greet him when coming into the house-- every day. Meaning, every time my greeting wasn't loud enough, my mother would march up to my room and demand I greet him louder.

"I don't care if he never speaks to you again, he is The Father and you show respect no matter what he does."

--------------------

Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There has to be several good novels in this thread.
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
God is kind to authors, and feeds them like the ravens in the desert with good things.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Caissa:
There has to be several good novels in this thread.

So on it.

Brenda [Snigger] Muahahaha!

[ 10. July 2014, 18:53: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
posted by Thyme
quote:
Dad was very into telling people 'Don't tell the girls'. He never told us anything. He didn't like the right hand to know what the left hand was doing. This led to some serious problems which had a very bad impact on his quality of life, although he could never see that this was a consequence of his behaviour.
This sounds spookily like both of my parents!

But at least your father acknowledged both hands - our not only didn't like the left hand to know what the right hand was doind, he didn't want either hand to know of the existence of the other.

About a month before he died he made a point of dragging my youngest sibling (with small children) hundreds of miles so that "you can help me plan my funeral": so off they toddled, had the discussion, made the notes, took small children home, typed it all up, sent off copy (as requested), etc, etc. Papa told them to make sure it was in a safe place.

Forward four and a half weeks and he dies - at which point another sibling (a) announces that they're organising the funeral, and (b) that the clergy involved had meeting with parent 4 months ago when content was agreed. Content of this was totally different from that given to youngest child who duly felt they'd been done-over for one last time.

The upshot of 50+ years of parental game-playing (by both parents) is that none of us are in touch with all of the others, nor are we likely to be.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
God is kind to authors, and feeds them like the ravens in the desert with good things.

Quote file. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  ...  45  46  47 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016