homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » Difficult relatives (Page 8)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  45  46  47 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Difficult relatives
Left at the Altar

Ship's Siren
# 5077

- Posted      Profile for Left at the Altar         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Francophile:
quote:
Well, I suppose it depends in your perception of horrible.

Some filk might think that a non-horrible reaction to being presented with a cake by anyone, not least your elderly and much-loved mother, would be to accept it graciously, express your thanks and live to her, embrace her, make her feel loved and wanted and appreciated, promise her that you will take great care with the box/tin/receptacle on the journey home, take such care even if inconvenient and phone your mother on your return and tell her that you and the cake are both home safely.

I suppose, unlike you lot, I just had the good fortune to grow up with loving parents who I cherish(ed).

Just sitting waiting for my mother at the Saturday nurse-led macular clinic at hospital, having driven my mother 50 miles to her monthly scan to prevent blindness. Her third hospital visit since the beginning of the year which I have taken her too so far. I have the urology clinic with her on 12 February. Just as well I've got the energy. Some of you seem to find carrying a cake tin or chucking a hot water bottle out your bed just too much to cope with.

I love and respect her and want to do as much as she needs and as much as I am capable of. Its called love.

You've never mentioned (at least, not that I recall) that they love you.
Do they?

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You wonder.

And when - as in course of nature they must - his parents go, who has he then to 'love'? Judging by the attitude he's displayed on this thread, I'd be surprised if there are any.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Of course they do, their too scared not to.

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I expect he'll be along to point out you've used 'their' instead of 'they're'. He's good at that sort of thing.
Francophile
Shipmate
# 17838

- Posted      Profile for Francophile   Email Francophile   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
I expect he'll be along to point out you've used 'their' instead of 'they're'. He's good at that sort of thing.

I kind of guessed it was a deliberate trap by Pixie so didn't bother.
Posts: 243 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged
Francophile
Shipmate
# 17838

- Posted      Profile for Francophile   Email Francophile   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
You wonder.

And when - as in course of nature they must - his parents go, who has he then to 'love'? Judging by the attitude he's displayed on this thread, I'd be surprised if there are any.

Well, if you'd read the thread properly you'd know that my dearly loved father died on 20 February 2013 aged 87 years. We scattered his ashes at Lamlash, Isle if Arran on 4 August 2913. He loved that place, having spent 50 years of sailing holidays on the Firth of Clyde and west coast waters. A wonderful man.
Thank you for your concern.

Left at the Altar

Ship's Siren
# 5077

- Posted      Profile for Left at the Altar         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, yes, he was wonderful. We've got that. But did he love you?
Francophile
Shipmate
# 17838

quote:
Originally posted by Left at the Altar:
Yes, yes, he was wonderful. We've got that. But did he love you?

He was a loving father to all his children and a devoted husband of 62 years to my mother. Sadly, he suffered from Parkinson's related dementia for about 5 years prior to his death which (if you have been unfortunate enough to witness this decline in a loved one) greatly reduced his ability to express love by words or actions.

I am assuming that your enquiry is genuine and have responded accordingly.

Left at the Altar

Ship's Siren
# 5077

Well, you see, it's just that the way you react to people who have difficulty giving and expressing absolute unconditional no-matter-how-much-you-drive-me-nuts love to their own, flawed parents, isn't all that suggestive of someone who grew up feeling the love themselves and understands that shit happens in families.

Your approach seems more Honour Thy Parents No Matter What.

Which might be strictly biblical, but it's hardly realistic.

We don't all have to be martyrs. And if you choose to go down that path (and I'm not saying you are, mind, but you kind of sound like it) then getting all self-righteous and expecting everyone else to do the same is going to slow down your path to sainthood. If that's what you are aiming for.

It's great you take your mum for her appointments. I'm sure it's draining and rewarding at the same time. Maybe she's grateful, maybe she's not. You do a good thing.

We ain't all good though. I'm not. And my parents love me. I know that. I'm thankful for their love. But they drive me batshit.

--------------------
Still pretty Amazing, but no longer Mavis.

Francophile
Shipmate
# 17838

quote:
Well, you see, it's just that the way you react to people who have difficulty giving and expressing absolute unconditional no-matter-how-much-you-drive-me-nuts love to their own, flawed parents, isn't all that suggestive of someone who grew up feeling the love themselves and understands that shit happens in families.

Your approach seems more Honour Thy Parents No
Which might be strictly biblical, but it's hardly realistic.

We don't all have to be martyrs. And if you choose to go down that path (and I'm not saying you are, mind, but you kind of sound like it) then getting all self-righteous and expecting everyone else to do the same is going to slow down your path to sainthood. If that's what you are aiming for.

It's great you take your mum for her appointments. I'm sure it's draining and rewarding at the same time. Maybe she's grateful, maybe she's not. You do a good thing.

We ain't all good though. I'm not. And my parents love me. I know that. I'm thankful for their love. But they drive me batshit.

oh, I better say I'm a fucker to keep you happy then. Fuck moaning, and get on with wiping shit from backsides of your old mum or dad. Someones got to do it. Either pay a stranger to do it or put them into "care" or do it yourself. Bottom line, that's what may happen. Get used and stop worrying about being misunderstood because mummy should know that you dont like hot water bottles but presses one into your hand. Be grateful that she thinks she's doing you a favour. Assume (unless you have strong evidence to the contrary) that's she's not malicious but off her rocker. Empty the water out, or quietly put on the floor to get cold until morning. Deal with it. Save moaning until you're left to wipe the encrusted vomit from her breast creases because there's no one else to do it and someones got to do it. If you can't, put her in the care of someone else, no shame in that, but please don't feel sorry for yourself that she once made you an iced cake and expected you to carry it home and post that shit on a public forum.
Left at the Altar

Ship's Siren
# 5077

Bloody hell, where's my violin?

I hope your mum has lost her marbles, because if she had the slightest inkling of what a bitter, twisted, self-righteous, screechy person you are because you do stuff for her, she'd be mortified.

And I hope her olfactory senses have packed it in too, because I can smell your resentment from here.

I'm going to take a punt and suggest that you don't think your siblings are pulling your weight with your parents.

They must dread any family occasion that you turn up to.

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You're getting it all wrong LATA. She's upset about the cake. It's definitely the cake.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Left at the Altar

Ship's Siren
# 5077

The cake has something to do with it, for sure.
It's all a bit Oedipal.
Where's Freud when we need him?

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He probably got left out in the rain.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Well, if you'd read the thread properly you'd know that my dearly loved father died on 20 February 2013 aged 87 years. We scattered his ashes at Lamlash, Isle if Arran on 4 August 2913. He loved that place, having spent 50 years of sailing holidays on the Firth of Clyde and west coast waters. A wonderful man.
Thank you for your concern.

You know, it is awfully coincidental that the biggest shits on the ship have just the perfect back-story to justify their shitty behaviour.
However, let us for the moment accept your story at face value.
You are still a shit.
anoesis started an OP to vent frustration, not condemn. It is a normal, human thing. Your reply was at minimum an over-reaction. Your subsequent interaction has been shit.
My characterisation of you as a pubescent twit has been called nasty. Actually, it was quite generous. If you are a child, your behaviour is understandable, though still rude. If you are an adult, you are a shit.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Get on with wiping shit from backsides of your old mum or dad. Someones got to do it.
Yup, I understand that, because I've been there, done that, for my late grandmother.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Be grateful that she thinks she's doing you a favour.

No. Fucking no. That is the stupidest sentiment on the bloody planet.

I encountered that exact same stupid sentiment in a completely different context a few weeks ago. See, apparently when someone does completely pointless work that actually makes something less functional than it would have been without the work, I'm supposed to be grateful.

Why, I ask you?

Does your boss behave like that? Does he/she congratulate and thank you when you do stuff that isn't any good? NO!!! He/she bloody well tells you that it isn't any good!

I mean, if it's a decent boss they'll find a constructive, helpful way to point this out to you, but they won't just leave you in a happy positive little haze of thinking you've done something marvellous when you bloody well haven't.

Far too many people in this world live in this stupid universe where it's seen as bad manners to point out to people when they're not any good at something or not helping. The reason it's stupid is that if you never get criticism you never learn.

I might be grateful that someone thinks they're doing me a favour the first time. If I've told them 10 times that it's not actually a favour, I'm not going to be grateful any more. Why should I be? Why should I be grateful for someone demonstrating that they don't actually a give a shit about my wants and needs? In some contexts I might just about manage to tolerate such behaviour, but be grateful for it? Don't be ridiculous.

Just how far do you want to stretch this logic of it being okay so long as someone THINKS they're doing good, even though they actually aren't? Go and read Mercutio's death scene in Romeo and Juliet to see a proper reaction to 'I meant well, please don't blame me for the outcome being a complete fucking disaster'.

[ 02. February 2014, 07:28: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Left at the Altar

Ship's Siren
# 5077

Well, I haven't. But, you know, I don't think I'm a lesser person for not doing it.

Maybe we non-arse-wipers are lesser beings (NEQ - I'm not lumping you with Frankie here (s/he vividly recalls every arse-wipe with bitter, bitter detail that can only come from the realisation that his/her parents don't love him/her anymore than his/her siblings who don't wipe arses). Maybe we'll be in non-arse-wiper hell for all eternity, wiping Francophile's bony donut.

X-post. orfeo, stop butting in!!!

[ 02. February 2014, 07:27: Message edited by: Left at the Altar ]

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
X-post. orfeo, stop butting in!!!

The private chat room is thataway.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Left at the Altar

Ship's Siren
# 5077

Being in a room in private with Francophile is not an inviting thought.

[ 02. February 2014, 07:34: Message edited by: Left at the Altar ]

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

I'm sure it would fall under justifiable homicide.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Maybe we'll be in non-arse-wiper hell for all eternity, wiping Francophile's bony donut.

I think you may need to start believing in eternal redemption at this point, LATA. It's an ill wind ...

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Left at the Altar

Ship's Siren
# 5077

I like to live on the edge.

If it's wipe-arse-hell I'm tempting, I'll take the risk.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You have a talent for bringing out the [Big Grin] . That's pretty redemptive in itself! Thanks.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

We're not doing this right, are we? We're failing to be guilted-out by his level of filial devotion. We are not feeling sorry for him (possibly because he is so sorry for himself). We feel uncondemned by our inferiority to him, no matter how often he points it out.

But at least he can scream at us that we're all fuccking (sic) bitches. Something you feel he would like - oh so much like - to do nearer home.

Left at the Altar

Ship's Siren
# 5077

I just called my parents. My mother is out. I spoke to Dad. He is deaf. We talked about his distant cousins.

Him: We are going to see .. I can't remember his name .. he has no chin
Me: Bill
Him: He lives with his sister
Me (louder): Bill
Him: He has trees all over place. She has dogs
Me (shouting): BILL!
Him: She's Lesley. What's his name?
Me: Bill?
Him: I'll think of it in a minute.
Me: Is it Bill?
Him: What?
Him: Could be. Yes, I think it is.

Gotta love him. [Razz]

[ 02. February 2014, 09:11: Message edited by: Left at the Altar ]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
See, the trick is to figure out how to turn that shit into a drinking game.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Left at the Altar

Ship's Siren
# 5077

Every time you have to repeat something you just said, you get to drink a bottle of vodka.

--------------------

Left at the Altar

Ship's Siren
# 5077

Everything they repeat something they've said 50 times, you get to drink 3 bottles of gin.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:

Even if there's gastro?

EDIT: I've finally done it. I've hit a new low as a Hellhost. Toilet humour.

[ 02. February 2014, 09:32: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do you think that if someone called The Perfection that is Frankiepiles to Hell on his Very Own Thread that he'd notice if we all ignored him and posted elsewhere?

[ 02. February 2014, 09:50: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Left at the Altar

Ship's Siren
# 5077

Hell Yes.

He needs to be noticed.

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
We're not doing this right, are we? We're failing to be guilted-out by his level of filial devotion. We are not feeling sorry for him (possibly because he is so sorry for himself). We feel uncondemned by our inferiority to him, no matter how often he points it out.

But at least he can scream at us that we're all fuccking (sic) bitches. Something you feel he would like - oh so much like - to do nearer home.

Oh my Lordy, do we have projection issues my dear friends?

I'm not picking up huge amounts of resentment from the french lover ( or does she love Spanish dictators? ).

Looking after aging parents is hard. Resentment does not necessarily come into it. The resentment might come in if someone was put in childcare (say).

Personally I find it curious we're happy to have our own arses wiped, vomit cleaned up and be whealed around in a wheelchair in the first few years of our life but we have trouble with the idea of doing the same to those who have done so unto us.

When it gets to the stage of me doing it to my mum, it'll merely be a return of favour.

How can you resent that?

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

orfeo

# 13878

I don't remember ANYONE resenting that, actually. People were resenting emotional manipulations, not bodily functions.

It was Francophile who decided to bring up wiping shit from backsides.

And I hate to break it to you, Evensong, but being a parent and doing all that stuff for kiddies doesn't give you the right, when they're older, to play with their minds or ignore their emotional needs. Which is what we were talking about.

[ 02. February 2014, 10:49: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Just so.

I'm getting vivid recall of a young couple back in my churchgoing days: she had severe physical disabilities and was in a wheelchair, his main occupation was as her carer. In no gathering could you share any problem, or ask for prayer without him describing, more or less fully, his wife's problems and what he had to do to help her.

I'd say he was my benchmark for belligerent passive-aggressive (can you have that?) manipulation and self-pitying aggrandisement - until now.

Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Oh I do feel sorry for him / her. It must be dreadfully uncomfortable having such a tight halo.

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:

Even if there's gastro?

EDIT: I've finally done it. I've hit a new low as a Hellhost. Toilet humour.

Ya, you have hit the bottom.

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
I don't remember ANYONE resenting that, actually. People were resenting emotional manipulations, not bodily functions.

It was Francophile who decided to bring up wiping shit from backsides.

And I hate to break it to you, Evensong, but being a parent and doing all that stuff for kiddies doesn't give you the right, when they're older, to play with their minds or ignore their emotional needs. Which is what we were talking about.

Huh? We are?

I think you're conflating NEQ's mum with the french lover's mum ( or was it the Spanish Dictator's mum? - I had to repeat that. No one laughed the first time - you must have missed it.)

Personally I was commenting on LATA and Firenze's take of Francophile's reaction to NEQ's mum while describing what she does with her own.

Got that?

Right.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:
I had to repeat that. No one laughed the first time - you must have missed it.

You're on the bloody internet woman, not in front of a live studio audience.

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

[Big Grin]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another nice thread ruined. Some of us were getting a bit of harmless relief, venting about the things our loved ones do that drive us crazy, but Francophile had to come along and lecture us all about not being grateful for our hot water bottles of passive aggression and iced cakes of inconvenience, and Spike had to drop in to tell us that if we (or I) were "looking for sympathy we wouldn't get it here," sounding just like the "I'll give you something to cry about," parent, and Comet, smelling her favorite blood source, had to jump in to tell me to get the fuck over my delicate little snowflake self as it's not all about me and Left at the Altar had to rush in to agree with her about me before telling Francophile, three or four times, that, clearly his mother doesn't love him. Because she knows.

Just once, I wish we could keep the anger all going in the same direction without allowing ourselves to be sidetracked this way.

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:

I think you're conflating NEQ's mum with the french lover's mum ( or was it the Spanish Dictator's mum? - I had to repeat that. No one laughed the first time - you must have missed it.)

Possibly because we'd already had that one 3 pages ago.

Do try to pay attention.

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:

Why are you venting over people's right to vent in Hell? orfeo is right. You just don't get this place. Of course you can be pissed off with the pissed off. Which in turn gives everyone else the right to be pissed off with you. Which they are. And, frankly, who can blame them? Empathy level epsilon minus moron. Not even semi-moron. O brave new world, that has such assholes in it.

Apologies. This needs modification. After "Which they are", please insert the following bracketed sentences.

[Except Evensong of course. She is pissed off with the rest of us who are pissed off with you for being pissed off with the rest of us. But don't get too encouraged by that exception. She's like that with every underdog, whether or not that underdog is an asshole. It's her "thing" in Hell.]

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No, no, Barnabas62! Let him appreciate being admired, It might help stimulate puberty. He may not mature any, but he mightn't type so much with one hand occupied.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Left at the Altar

Ship's Siren
# 5077

quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
... and Comet, smelling her favorite blood source, had to jump in to tell me to get the fuck over my delicate little snowflake self as it's not all about me and Left at the Altar had to rush in to agree with her about me ...

No I didn't you batshit crazy cow.

I responded to RuthW, who thought that what you wrote came before anything Spike wrote. It was a one-liner having a friendly dig at Ruth. And then RuthW corrected herself and I wrote another - again having a dig (friendly, again) at Ruth.

Get over yourself.

--------------------

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
... and Comet, smelling her favorite blood source, had to jump in to tell me to get the fuck over my delicate little snowflake self as it's not all about me and Left at the Altar had to rush in to agree with her about me ...

No I didn't you batshit crazy cow.

I responded to RuthW, who thought that what you wrote came before anything Spike wrote. It was a one-liner having a friendly dig at Ruth. And then RuthW corrected herself and I wrote another - again having a dig (friendly, again) at Ruth.

Get over yourself.

No. Go back and read starting with my post written 20 minutes before Spike's post. I was not wrong to think his post immediately following mine was directed at me. RuthW was not wrong to point that out to Comet. You were wrong to think Ruth was wrong and both of your posts mentioned me in some convoluted way. In short you jumped in where you had no idea what was going on. I don't really care. If I had cared, I would have said something at the time, not two days later as minor evidence of your desire to yap along with the other members of any and all spats.

To be perfectly clear, what I am complaining about is the way you're beating Francophile over the head with your amateur psychologist theory that her mother doesn't love her. Give it a rest.

Evensong isn't the only one that starts feeling sorry for the underdog after a while.

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"RuthW was not wrong." I keep telling people that, but do they listen?
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Left at the Altar

Ship's Siren
# 5077

You are nuttier than a picnic bar, twilight.
I have no gripe with you. But if you feel that you need to weigh down those saggy old shoulders of yours with another chip, then by all means use me.

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I just called my parents. My mother is out. I spoke to Dad. He is deaf. We talked about his distant cousins.

Him: We are going to see .. I can't remember his name .. he has no chin
Me: Bill
Him: He lives with his sister
Me (louder): Bill
Him: He has trees all over place. She has dogs
Me (shouting): BILL!
Him: She's Lesley. What's his name?
Him: I'll think of it in a minute.
Me: Is it Bill?
Him: What?
Him: Could be. Yes, I think it is.

Gotta love him. [Razz]

Ah. Been there. Yes. Long, long years of those "conversations" with my mom before she passed away.

The hardest thing was when she made the mistake of asking me to drive her to the audiologist-- and I came in. I came in to hear her fibbing about wearing her hearing aid "all the time" when I know she wore it for a few minutes a day, tops. Came in to hear the audiologist explain (not that mom could hear her) that the problem was not with the hearing aid or the quality of sound getting thru. It was that after years and years of not wearing the aids the neural synapses that would allow her brain to understand and interpret those sounds had atrophied. And there's no going back.

My own kids have permission to slap me hard if they catch me pulling that one.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
My own kids have permission to slap me hard if they catch me pulling that one.

After one particularly memorable conversation with my grandmother, my parents told me to look at a map of Canada and pick an ice floe for 'em. I don't think they were fooled by my claiming the Chambly Canal totally counts.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  45  46  47 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016