homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » Fucking Guns (Page 33)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  ...  58  59  60 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Fucking Guns
Hiro's Leap

Shipmate
# 12470

- Posted      Profile for Hiro's Leap   Email Hiro's Leap   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
Just for the record, I made no argument about blood splatter.

Fair enough Alan - not sure what else to call it though.

And also just for the record, I wasn't calling you a moron in the slightest. I simply felt your preconceptions about Zimmerman made you uncritical of an argument you wouldn't touch normally.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
It really is odd that the Zimmerman/Martin case has sparked international outrage, while thousands of cases of gun violence barely make the news.

It happens all the time, the media focus on one story at the expense of others.
Scott Alexander has a theory on this. He argues that clear-cut examples of a cause (say, police brutality) flare up quickly in the news but are soon forgotten about because everyone agrees they were awful. When you have a more controversial example though, a load of opponents spring up to say "whoa, hang on!" and the story gets a much longer life.

Eric Garner was choked by police in New York. In many ways this was a much better poster child for police brutality than Michael Brown's death in Ferguson. But everyone agreed Garner's killing was awful and not everyone thought the same about Ferguson, so Garner was soon forgotten while Ferguson turned into a gigantic and highly memorable shitstorm.

The depressing upshot is that causes become known for their worse, most divisive examples.

Trayvon Martin's case was famous before it became controversial, perhaps due a perfect combination of cute photo, Skittles, racial fears, negligent police and apparently senseless killing. But the controversy doubtless helped keep it popular as time went on, and by the end it had very much become another front of the Culture War.

Posts: 3418 | From: UK, OK | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Hiro's Leap

Shipmate
# 12470

- Posted      Profile for Hiro's Leap   Email Hiro's Leap   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some evidence:

The Young Turks 08/03/16. When they first learn about Martin they're very angry (about the shooting).

The Young Turks, 15/07/13. 16 months later, after the trial they wanted, now they're furious (at the other side).

Similar conversations will be happening on conservative sites. Behold, Culture War.

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mdijon:

Some black people are in the police force, some are prosecutors, judges, sheriffs.

Some of them do not trust the justice system because they know it from the inside. Some are in those positions because government has been a more realistic route to financial stability than the private sector.
quote:

To say black people as a block don't trust authority is going to far.

I disagree, but it is nuanced.
quote:

I think most people would agree that levels of trust are generally lower among black people and there are certain communities in particular areas where levels of trust are rock-bottom.

IME, black Americans have a lower trust in their justice system and with reason. I saw a report that began with the assertion of black Americans have more trust in the federal government than white people. Set my head a twirl. Then I read the whole thing and I think it does a better job of explaining the dynamics than I can.
The link.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
... Americans can't part with their beloved guns. They think the constitution is more holy than the word of God. Their daddies took them hunting when they were four and it's a great memory, they love their collection, they like rubbing the oil into the shaft, they think target practice is the most exciting thing ever, they belong to gun clubs when no other clubs would have them, they think it's a sport when they're too out of shape for real sports, they only feel safe with their guns, they only feel like men with their guns. And the result is innocent people and real children die every day.

Now that I totally agree with. But what the hell do we do about it? How do we convince these people that some people should not have penis toys? That maybe they themselves don't need a penis toy because the risks far outweigh the benefits?

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
You have all the time in the world to compose your thoughts and point out better options. He didn't.

He had plenty of time to avoid a conflict in the first place. To paraphrase Mr. Miyagi. The best way to avoid a confrontation which may lead to killing another human for no damn good reason, no be there.
quote:
quote:
Trayvon Martin we can relate to, a kid walking home from the store with a pocket full of candy is someone we recognise. Most of us have been that kid walking from the store with a pocketful of candy.

And what did most of us do if we saw a man on the way home?

I am seriously sick of a narrative that equates Trayvon Martin with... some kind of sweet 8-year-old. It's completely fucking disingenuous.

It doesn't matter. He could have been Jack the Fucking Ripper possessing the Rock's body, he was doing nothing wrong. And had as much right as Zimmerman to be on those streets. Zimmerman created a situation of threat.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hiro's Leap:
Behold, Culture War.

That video is fucking brilliant.

It does a rather good job of helping me understand why Alan's sneering dislike of killing can be translated into being seen as a potentially society-crushing drive to override justice systems.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah. Brilliant. We have met the thought germs and they are us.
Dave W.
Shipmate
# 8765

- Posted      Profile for Dave W.   Email Dave W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:
You have all the time in the world to compose your thoughts and point out better options. He didn't.

He had plenty of time to avoid a conflict in the first place. To paraphrase Mr. Miyagi. The best way to avoid a confrontation which may lead to killing another human for no damn good reason, no be there.
quote:
quote:
Trayvon Martin we can relate to, a kid walking home from the store with a pocket full of candy is someone we recognise. Most of us have been that kid walking from the store with a pocketful of candy.

And what did most of us do if we saw a man on the way home?

I am seriously sick of a narrative that equates Trayvon Martin with... some kind of sweet 8-year-old. It's completely fucking disingenuous.

It doesn't matter. He could have been Jack the Fucking Ripper possessing the Rock's body, he was doing nothing wrong. And had as much right as Zimmerman to be on those streets. Zimmerman created a situation of threat.

I agree. After all, Zimmerman wasn't surprised in his own home, nor did he inadvertently stumble across a crime in progress.

It's worth remembering the different reasons the two had for being out that night. Martin was returning home from a trip to the store; Zimmerman was patrolling the streets with his gun, on the lookout for troublemakers.

One of the two had had a lot of time to think about what might happen during a confrontation, and what his various options might be. He had, after all, been specifically advised many months before by the Sanford police department's coordinator for neighborhood watch groups:
quote:
She then gave a PowerPoint presentation and distributed a handbook. As she always does, she emphasized what a neighborhood watch is — and what it is not.

In every presentation, “I go through what the rules and responsibilities are,” she said Thursday. The volunteers’ role, she said, is “being the eyes and ears” for the police, “not the vigilante.” Members of a neighborhood watch “are not supposed to confront anyone,” she said. “We get paid to get into harm’s way. You don’t do that. You just call them from the safety of your home or your vehicle.”

Using a gun in the neighborhood watch role would be out of the question, she said in an interview.

(NYTimes article)
Posts: 2059 | From: the hub of the solar system | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re American gun mythology:

The wonderful "To The Best Of Our Knowledge" radio show has an episode called "The Gun" this week. I'm listening to it right now.

Here's the blurb, from their site.

quote:
Guns are a part of our national mythology. Just consider the Western, Annie Oakley, Daniel Boone -- it's hard to deny the role guns had in shaping America.

But what if all those stories were exaggerated at best? What if the gun myth was created in the 19th century by gun manufacturers? In other words, what if guns aren’t what we stand for, but instead, are just another thing we were sold.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Re American gun mythology:

The wonderful "To The Best Of Our Knowledge" radio show has an episode called "The Gun" this week. I'm listening to it right now.

Here's the blurb, from their site.

quote:
Guns are a part of our national mythology. Just consider the Western, Annie Oakley, Daniel Boone -- it's hard to deny the role guns had in shaping America.

But what if all those stories were exaggerated at best? What if the gun myth was created in the 19th century by gun manufacturers? In other words, what if guns aren’t what we stand for, but instead, are just another thing we were sold.

It is very well established that they were exaggerated. Dime novels, newspapers and theatrical performance presented a sensationalised, highly fictional account of American expansion. I would be interested to hear what role the manufacturers played.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[clings to his digital collection of Have Gun, Will Travel]

I can't hear you. La la la la la.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
To paraphrase Mr. Miyagi. The best way to avoid a confrontation which may lead to killing another human for no damn good reason, no be there.

Or Joshua, the computer, in "War Games":
quote:
Strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And again... Approximately 20 dead inside Florida nightclub after mass shooting. Many more are injured.

Prayers for all involved.
[Votive]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is at least one story on the local news every morning of someone getting shot the night before. This morning there were three -- in addition to the Florida incident. I am sure there are equal numbers of similar stories in every jurisdiction.

The news media would be doing the country a great service if, instead of repeating boring stories about Trump, Trump, Trump, they would broadcast a non-stop roundup of the latest gun violence incidents throughout the country. It just might wake some legislators up finally.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's now 50. God DAMN America.

[ 12. June 2016, 15:04: Message edited by: Martin60 ]

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]
Posts: 2208 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
50 and the media are saying the perpetrator is of Afghan descent, and the incident is being treated as terrorism.
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Je suis Pulse.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Je suis Pulse.

[Overused]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
“We’re dealing with something we never imagined and is unimaginable,” Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer (D) said during a news briefing Sunday.
Unimaginable? Really? After all the bodies, all the mourning, all the other times where This Exact Gorram Thing Happened before, we still can't imagine it happening again?

No, I guess not. At this point, we probably expect it.

Oh, and just to be clear:

quote:
An officer working at the club exchanged fire with the gunman, authorities said. It was then, according to police, that the incident developed into “a hostage situation.”
A good guy with a gun didn't stop the bad guy with a gun.

(ETA: Quotes are from the main WaPo story, which has a tendency to be updated, rearranged, and changed as things develop.)

[ 12. June 2016, 16:13: Message edited by: Ariston ]

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Obama will make a statement in about 20 minutes (17.30 English time).

The perpetrator had an "Arabic" name but seems to have been a US citizen ... are we talking radicalisation as much as gun crime? We'll have to see.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
50 and the media are saying the perpetrator is of Afghan descent, and the incident is being treated as terrorism.

If it gets labelled "terrorism" then it's not related to domestic policy, and so gun control is not part of the problem.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fox news has already broadcasted, blaming Obama for the entire tragedy. And one of those adorable legislators in Texas has announced that it's all the victims' own fault, for being in a gay nightclub on a Saturday night.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If it gets labelled "terrorism" then it's not related to domestic policy, and so gun control is not part of the problem.

Precisely.
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:
It's now 50. God DAMN America.

Damning extreme gun culture, hatred to the point of violence*, whatever drives people to identify with shooters and violent groups, lack of mental health care, and the turbulence of gun regulations (regulate, dismantle, over and over) might be better.

*NPR mentioned that the shooter's father said he was strongly anti-gay.

[Votive]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, terrorism, my ass. A private citizen decided he didn't like what two other private citizens were doing, so he got a readily available weapon and started eliminating people he didn't like.

And while I understand the young man's father's need to affirm that " religion has nothing to do with it," given how quicky people wanted to decide Middle Eastern = Radical jihadist, the fact that that scum sucking Texas lawmaker used a Bible verse to celebrate the massacre means religion is involved. Saying anything further would be a Dead Horse,I suppose.

[ 12. June 2016, 16:58: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kelly wrote:

quote:
the fact that that scum sucking Texas lawmaker used a Bible verse to celebrate the massacre means religion is involved
Could you provide a link? Not that I doubt you at all, I'm just curious to read about this, and google hasn't been very helpful.

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's the link, just in case you didn't believe a politician could be so stupid.

--------------------

Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
<bump>

Orlando. I'm glad I haven't had breakfast, because I would have vomited all over my laptop. Words fail.

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hate-mongers must be so confused. A guy kills 50 people at a gay club in the name of radical Islam ... who do they cheer for?
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

His people are saying that the tweet was prescheduled ( how does that work? An app?) and he will delete it. Ok, fine.

Guess he had a reputation that made it easy to believe this was a shot. I believe it was a coincidence. but at the same time I wonder why he did't take the tweet down immediately, instead of just saying he'd get to it.

[ 12. June 2016, 17:10: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Soror Magna:
<bump>

Orlando. I'm glad I haven't had breakfast, because I would have vomited all over my laptop. Words fail.

Same reaction. Right in the stomach. [Disappointed]

--------------------

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
His people are saying that the tweet was prescheduled ( how does that work? An app?) and he will delete it. Ok, fine.

Guess he had a reputation that made it easy to believe this was a shot. I believe it was a coincidence. but at the same time I wonder why he did't take the tweet down immediately, instead of just saying he'd get to it.

It's kinda hard to imagine why he would send out that particular bible quote, if not as a response to a particular event. That one is almost always quoted to either warn that someone is going to be punished by God, or to celebrate the fact that someone has supposedly been punished by God. It's not really a generic, one-size-fits-all sorta line, like "God is love".

Oh, and thanks for the link Brenda.

[ 12. June 2016, 17:16: Message edited by: Stetson ]

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Yeah, there goes n my benefit of the doubt. You're right, that is not exactly a typical inspirational quote.

And AFAIK it still hasn't been taken down. That doesn't really signal concern about a faux pas.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

And the one he followed up with emphasizes that God is the salvation of the *righteous*, and God will comfort them.

If he meant the first one as a commentary on being gay, then he probably didn't suddenly decided they were righteous.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

And here are the Fox News hosts, blaming Obama. It's become self-parody.

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't want to go to the Fox site and look, but I'm curious... what are their grounds for saying it's Obama's fault?

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Yeah, terrorism, my ass. A private citizen decided he didn't like what two other private citizens were doing, so he got a readily available weapon and started eliminating people he didn't like.

As with these situations there are all sorts of statements flying around.
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

And it looks like a potential attack on today's Los Angeles Pride parade has been quashed. Police reportedly said that they don't know if there's a connection with Orlando.

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolemr:
I don't want to go to the Fox site and look, but I'm curious... what are their grounds for saying it's Obama's fault?

1. Thanks to BC for sparing us the link to Faux.
2. Basically, Obama has taught us to not automatically suspect Muslims/immigrants/etc. Because of PC Run Amok, we're less vigilant...and so this happens. QED, Thanks Obummer!

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hiro's Leap

Shipmate
# 12470

Interview with his ex-wife.

quote:
“He was not a stable person,” said the ex-wife, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because she feared for her safety in the wake of the mass shooting. “He beat me. He would just come home and start beating me up because the laundry wasn’t finished or something like that.”
[...]
“He seemed like a normal human being,” she said, adding that he wasn’t very religious and worked out at the gym often. She said in the few months they were married he gave no signs of having fallen under the sway of radical Islam.

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

And Pat Robertson is always reliable. How the man call call himself a follower of Christ is a mystery to me. Any time someone wants to throw mud at the church, he's the one they throw.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I started a thread in All Saints to commemorate the dead at Pulse and pray for their souls and for the living -- the other wounded, and all the families and loved ones.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
And Pat Robertson is always reliable. How the man call call himself a follower of Christ is a mystery to me. Any time someone wants to throw mud at the church, he's the one they throw.

You do know this is a satire site, right?

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Hiro's Leap:
Interview with his ex-wife.

quote:
“He was not a stable person,” said the ex-wife, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because she feared for her safety in the wake of the mass shooting. “He beat me. He would just come home and start beating me up because the laundry wasn’t finished or something like that.”
[...]
“He seemed like a normal human being,” she said, adding that he wasn’t very religious and worked out at the gym often. She said in the few months they were married he gave no signs of having fallen under the sway of radical Islam.

How can his ex-wife be anonymous? How many ex-wives does he have?

--------------------

Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
Hate-mongers must be so confused. A guy kills 50 people at a gay club in the name of radical Islam ... who do they cheer for?

The guns.

They will and already are focusing on the guns.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:

She might have changed her last name (either remarrying or going back to her maiden name) and moved to a new location where she (understandably) wouldn't want to be known as his ex-wife. She may even have changed name/location after the divorce to get away from her abuser.

--------------------
~Tortuf

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:

She might have changed her last name (either remarrying or going back to her maiden name) and moved to a new location where she (understandably) wouldn't want to be known as his ex-wife. She may even have changed name/location after the divorce to get away from her abuser.
Fair enough.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  ...  58  59  60 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016