homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Aging Parents (Page 22)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  ...  41  42  43 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Aging Parents
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Karl [Tear] [Votive]
Posts: 2208 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes indeed Karl [Votive]

The Dowager was better again yesterday, despite the extraction of her front tooth, and (to my surprise and pleasure) full of 'I don't know what I'd do without you, thank you for all you do for me' [Overused] so I forgave her a few more 'wasn't it nice to see the boys?' comments.

(She's always been a terrible flirt [Two face] )

Mrs. S, always glad to be appreciated

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We die as we have lived! I hope her recovery is now uneventful and swift.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, she's due to be released into the wild on Monday (with two care visits a day). I just hope they keep up the happy pills, because without them she is dreadfully negative about everything - whereas with them, she becomes much easier to deal with [Two face]

I get bored not only with her grumbling, but also with my own voice being falsely cheerful [Help]

Anyway, final hospital visit on Saturday. Return to take her home on Monday. Back again the next Saturday for Great-Aunt M's 95th birthday party [Ultra confused] and then on the 25th to take her to Orthopaedics to have the cast removed [Eek!]

Let's hope she likes the care workers!

Mrs. S, praying [Votive]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hope everything goes well tomorrow Mrs S for The Dowager. Good to have a plan in place.
My mum seems on the up at present, finally having got rid of the effects of the nasty virus she had at Easter. Getting cross at daft politicians has helped no end!
I do wish she'd consider more help, but I guess it's a waiting game till she decides that's what she wants or circumstances force it on her.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Today's the day, Mrs. S. I hope all goes as planned. You will certainly have earned several glasses of something comforting.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

You were right about that, jacobsen!

The Dowager was moved home without problems, all the nurses and cleaners saying how sorry they were to lose her [Eek!]

However, once home, an innate negativity seems to have returned - she won't wait for the carers to do anything (determined to be independent) but does it herself, inadequately. Mr S and I were trying to persuade her to have a new dishwasher, or at least to use the 40-year-old one she has, because she doesn't do it properly herself even with two hands - but she just turned mulish, as if it might be her last £250 in the world! This in spite of the fact that she's had 5 weeks board and lodging for nothing, and now has two weeks' worth of carers also for nothing [Mad]

And food - nothing is any good, she can't taste it so it has to look colourful, but as I said to her all the colourful stuff has garlic in it (which repeats on her) - my favourite was the fish pie which she said was 'loathsome' [Killing me] Oh, and her new dental plate came out while she was eating a sausage [Killing me]

I wouldn't care if I hadn't spent my Saturday morning in Waitrose, carefully perusing labels [Mad]

And she was wittering about getting her ironing done - do you know what she wants to get ironed? Her teatowels! [Confused]

What worries me is that she will get rid of the carers at the end of the two weeks, and then expect me to pick up the slack from 2 hours away - independence is a fine aspiration but at 92 with her current state of fragility, it just ain't gonna happen!

Sorry all for the rant - as Mr.s said to me the other day, 'just promise me you won't die before your mother!'

Mrs. S, fed up with being the reliable one [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Time to investigate nice care homes where she can continue to be the life and soul of the parry with hot and cold carers laid on?

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I sometimes think things would be easier if we all swapped aging Ps for a while. I was at my mother in law's the other week for a family get together and I could see her daughter was finding some of things she was doing and saying trying, while I was much more tolerant. I'm sure others would cope with my mother much better than I do.
My M-i-L only manages to live at home as one of her sons lives and works in the village and calls in twice a day, does the gardening, food shopping etc. She had a nasty fall a couple of days ago, and though she is back home, I really think it is getting to the stage where she needs to think about something more suitable than a large cottage, in large grounds down an unmade up road. However as my husband said, what she needs a care home for reclusive academics, and I'm not sure there are many of those about.
Hope you manage to get you mum to continue to accept the help from the carers Mrs S.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

Yes, but (sorry - it must be catching!) almost her last words on leaving the hospital were that she didn't care for institutional living!

Sarasa, that's a really good idea to swap Aging P's around - at least they'd have the virtue of novelty [Killing me] I think the Dowager feels gratitude and resentment in equal amounts - gratitude that I am doing all this sh*t and resentment that she has to get me to do it!

Ah well *counts blessings!*

--------------------

lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just keep some perspective - some of us are reading these posts with great longing. I'd iron a hundred tea towels very happily for the chance of a chat with my mom.

I also think an aging parent exchange would be great. Think of the stories that would instantly become fresh and entertaining!

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Other people's parents are so much easier.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

lily pad, I know what you mean, but some days I would iron every tea towel in the country NOT to have the same conversation that we seem to have been having every day for years!

As Sarasa says, other people's are so much easier to deal with...

Mrs. S, busy setting up the Aging Parent Exchange

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

Just a swift update to say she had her cast taken off yesterday. The physio was staggered to discover that she had exactly as much movement in each wrist and told her just to go home and use it 'functionally' - i.e. to to do stuff as usual [Smile]

However as time goes on it becomes more and more apparent that the bump on the head has permanently impaired her short term memory, and also her capacity for making decisions. I was trying to get her to choose some ready-meals to be delivered, without notable success, and she said 'so someone has to ring up every week and CHOOSE these?' to which I replied 'No, Mum, not somebody - YOU!'

I think we have now reached the stage when she doesn't want to stay in her home, but equally doesn't think she's ready for a care home: I have my doubts and in any case wonder how she will ever move if she practically had to be forced at knifepoint to let me take away and dispose of some bedding that I had at university, 43 years ago [Help]

However, the good news is that she hasn't actually reneged on her promise to stop driving; I had all my arguments marshalled, but my heartfelt prayers must have had some effect (just as well as the poor car now has neither tax, insurance or MOT [Devil] ) I didn't actually watch Hundred-Year Old Drivers as my nerves wouldn't have taken it, but I understand one old chap's car had only one dent-free panel, and that was the roof. They could have been describing the Dowager's [Killing me]

Mrs. S, off to choose a care home for herself

--------------------

Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:
Just a swift update to say she had her cast taken off yesterday. The physio was staggered to discover that she had exactly as much movement in each wrist and told her just to go home and use it 'functionally' - i.e. to to do stuff as usual [Smile]

However as time goes on it becomes more and more apparent that the bump on the head has permanently impaired her short term memory, and also her capacity for making decisions. I was trying to get her to choose some ready-meals to be delivered, without notable success, and she said 'so someone has to ring up every week and CHOOSE these?' to which I replied 'No, Mum, not somebody - YOU!'

I think we have now reached the stage when she doesn't want to stay in her home, but equally doesn't think she's ready for a care home: I have my doubts and in any case wonder how she will ever move if she practically had to be forced at knifepoint to let me take away and dispose of some bedding that I had at university, 43 years ago [Help]

However, the good news is that she hasn't actually reneged on her promise to stop driving; I had all my arguments marshalled, but my heartfelt prayers must have had some effect (just as well as the poor car now has neither tax, insurance or MOT [Devil] ) I didn't actually watch Hundred-Year Old Drivers as my nerves wouldn't have taken it, but I understand one old chap's car had only one dent-free panel, and that was the roof. They could have been describing the Dowager's [Killing me]

Mrs. S, off to choose a care home for herself

I can beat that. My beloved (honestly) mother in law added a dented roof as well as every other panel when she dropped the garage door on it.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not a parent but a beloved friend of many years standing, now diagnosed with dementia and the onset of Alzheimers too.

A grouup of six of us, all longtime friends, are trying to manage care for him to help him stay in his home. This is relly just a temorary measure. Adopted as a toddler and never married he has no family we can trace. If basically untraceable, who would now be interested in care for him? Not even his dad's brother can be found.

Doctor cancelled his licence a few weeks ago and we took his car from him. We are traitors in his eyes to our friendship. Actually, his actual driving is fine if he were on an open road with no traffic.

Directions rattle him, he can no longer follow GPS directions. Getting in the right lane to exit or similar thoroughly rattles him. Unexpected movements of traffic also cause him to become unsettled.

Passenger's mirror was pushed well in so all he could see was himself. DIL fixed it for him. I asked what had happened and was told, "a tree fell on the car." when I questioned this, the story changed immediately to, "perhaps I ran into a tree." This seems more likely.

Keys were constantly lost etc. A flat tire was changed by motorists association driver who did not notice it too had a slow leak. He ruined wheel by driving on it for a week or so.

I guess we have to live with being called traitors.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mrs. S. - would some sort of sheltered housing be any good for the Dowager? You know the sort of thing - where you have a flat or bed-sit, but food is available, and there are carers who know if you haven't got up of a morning?

Just a thought - it might be a good half-way-house between being in her own house and being in full-on care.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
Mrs. S. - would some sort of sheltered housing be any good for the Dowager? You know the sort of thing - where you have a flat or bed-sit, but food is available, and there are carers who know if you haven't got up of a morning?

Just a thought - it might be a good half-way-house between being in her own house and being in full-on care.

My best friend's mom moved into a very well run facility (her decision) and enjoys it. Her little studio apartment has a kitchenette, but she mostly eats in the dining room. She has made friends, takes part in activities, and watches her own TV. The home has a van that people can schedule to take them shopping or church. There is also a wing with more detailed care if and when she might need it. If you could find a place like that in your area I think she might be happy.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mrs S

Does the Dowager live somewhere useful for a member of the wider family to be based? Perhaps near a university or work?

We had this with an elderly aunt (no problems with dementia, memory or physical frailty, just a wart of an only child) and it has been sorted by moving in a great niece: the aunt gets the companionship but feels she is being useful, the g-niece gets fantastic accommodation at minimal cost.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mrs S

Will she accept help at home? My sister and I set up for a carer to come twice a day, meals delivered, other shopping delivered and frozen and a phone tab for emergencies when my father was recovering from his heart operation. The only thing that stuck was the carer who now come in once a week to bath Mum. It took a fall in the bath and Dad struggling to get Mum out for him to recognise that was necessary. There are agencies that will do social care as well as physical care and might even agree to come and help the dowager order meals on a weekly basis (and check she is getting one, once a day).

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

Thank you all for your concern, and suggestions. None of the family would willingly live with her, I'm afraid, lovely though the thought might be.

The half-way house thing might suit best if we can find one, as this week it's the garden that's the problem (there's always one, if you know what I mean). The issue I foresee (and I hate to be so negative, but I know you'll understand) is that for 50 years she's lived in a large house in a quiet residential street, surrounded by a lovely big garden. If she moves into a small flat, by definition everything will change, and it will all be My Fault.

On the other hand she will at least be able to find company (although she's quite negative about that, too - she's very dismissive of all the old biddies who live in homes [Eek!] ) I just wonder what trying to move anywhere will do to her, but I suppose people do it all the time, just not at 92.

In the matter of damage to cars, she did once drive into the garage with the rear door to her hatchback UP - that made a nice mess [Ultra confused] We have long joked (rather tastelessly I know) that if her car were a child it would be on the At Risk register [Roll Eyes]

Ah well, a 'nice young man' delivered the food, so that's a plus point for them [Snigger]

Mrs. S, for once without a snappy by-line

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mrs S [Votive]

When my Dad went into care I spoke to the nurse in charge of the unit, admitting that I couldn't give him the kind of care they did. She said, bluntly, "I can do this for our Residents, but there is no way I could have done it for my own Mother."

I think that the difficulty is that with our own parents there is so much history. With my Dad I was always his little girl, which was why my sister-in-law could manage some things with him far better that I could. It took me a while to stop resenting and feeling guilty about this.

Huia [Tear]

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well I spoke too soon and tempted fate. The latest crisis turned out to be a bit more serious. After 10 days in hospital she's been fast tracked into a care home. Fast track is for people with a prognosis of less than 3 months in this world.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh Karl, I'm so sorry to hear that.

[Votive] for your mum, your dad and you.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] Karl and your parents.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
May I briefly rant. My younger brother, in his 50s, hasn't visited for 2 years. Flies in from Hong Kong and we think respite time. Here for 2 weeks. There's a bank holiday on Monday and we have taken the Friday to go away.

I receive a call last evening from 88 year old father. He lives in a seniors semi-assisted living building. They get supper and there are some social activities. He's actually in pretty good condition, with some memory and balance issues but not at all bad or worrying. Back to the call from him: brother is leaving in the mid-morning. He's taken out a temporary 2 week gym membership and is absent from about 9 a.m. until after my father's bedtime (varies from 8:30 to 9:30 pm).

So here I sit at work, with the plan to go, and digesting the phone call. Father not pleading in so many words, but pleading in between the lines. I spoke to my brother on the phone later, and he reassures that he will be attentive, but I know it is hopeful nonsense on my part to believe a word of it.

I guess we will go, with diminished enjoyment, and I will need to call and talk to father, but obviously cannot visit as we usually do every second day, sometimes daily. I don't really want to talk to my brother again. [Help]

[ 28. July 2016, 22:10: Message edited by: no prophet's flag is set so... ]

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Prayers, Karl, for you and your family.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

Prayers for all in these difficult situations [Votive]

We cancelled a week's holiday because we felt it would just be too far away if the Dowager had another funny turn. I'm not sure she's even registered what we did, what it cost us, or what we missed out on. When she says 'I don't know what I'd do without you' I have reached the stage of thinking 'it's all about you, isn't it?' Not 'You've been so kind and thoughtful' but 'what would I do?'

Sorry - this is the only place I can say these things. Does every old person's world close down around them so all they think of is themselves?

Mrs. S, mourning [Frown]

--------------------

M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I think so, Mrs S, in my experience (which only relates to a small sample, of course).

I imagine it has to do with a feeling of increased vulnerability because of failing powers.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

I think that their mental map shrinks - just as people in residential homes often lose interest in the outside world. Not always, of course.

I remember visiting an elderly widowed teacher, a wonderful woman, and hearing her reckon up how many hours I had spent with her. ("Well, I've had three hours...") And complaining that a certain friend spent "only" two hours with her every Monday morning! No apparent awareness of what that meant in terms of consistent commitment.

This was someone who had been astonishingly outgoing and active all her life, until truly gruesome arthritis took over in her seventies. She had no children, but was surrounded by friends and ex-students who helped her enormously. However, nothing filled the hole left by the loss of health, mobility and her life partner. We all need to pray for grace when it happens to us!

--------------------

M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember phone calls with my mother, where she would chat for ages about how so-and-so had been to see her, and such-and such a person had rung, and then in the next breath complain me that mine was the first voice she'd heard that day.

And if I called her on it, she would just vaguely murmur, 'I suppose so' and carry on.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

The Grandmother of the ex Mr L broke her knee in her 80s, think. She was in hospital for a long time. She had a small notebook full of notes like."nurse brought hot water to wash at 5:00am. Returned at 6:30 and water was cold." No thought of doing it herself.

No matter how many visitors she had in a day, she would make a note in block capitals underlined , if no one from the immediate family visited her at every visiting time. . It would then be shown, with loud lamentation, to the next visitor.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

The Grandmother of the ex Mr L broke her knee in her 80s, think. She was in hospital for a long time. She had a small notebook full of notes like."nurse brought hot water to wash at 5:00am. Returned at 6:30 and water was cold." No thought of doing it herself.

No matter how many visitors she had in a day, she would make a note in block capitals underlined , if no one from the immediate family visited her at every visiting time. . It would then be shown, with loud lamentation, to the next visitor.

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

[Votive] for Karl and his parents.
Mrs S, I'm not sure if all old people become more self-centred the more they age, my mother-in-law still seems interested in various family goings on for instance, even if she doesn't get all the details right. My mum however is definitely in the 'it's all about me camp', so I sympathise. I hope you can get a workable solution that keeps her happy and safe and allows you to do the things you want, starting with a holiday soon.

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sarasa:
I'm not sure if all old people become more self-centred the more they age.

I think it's because they know they are powerless to take care of their own needs -- they even have to rely on someone else even to wipe their bums after they toilet -- and so there just isn't any room in their conscience for other people's needs.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suspect that a lot of what we take for kindness, fair-mindedness, tolerance, etc. in younger people is really "Eh, I feel good and I can't be bothered, never mind"--more of a bodily shock absorber than a spiritual or emotional maturity. Then, when that falls away due to pain, illness or age, suddenly every minor bump in the road feels magnified. It was always there, but the temporary state of good health and wellbeing meant we used to sail over it, and now we have the choice of learning real maturity or else defaulting to letting every bump become a big.freakin.DEAL because it feels like that now.

Yes, I'm starting to feel my age. Why do you ask?

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Diomedes
Shipmate
# 13482

- Posted      Profile for Diomedes   Email Diomedes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lamb Chopped [Overused]

--------------------
Distrust simple answers to complicated questions

Posts: 129 | From: Essex England | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe when we get older then we get very literal? And maybe if we have stroke type illnesses we get Very literal?

At one point in my life i would also have written in my notebook that the water was cold. Because it had only been brought to me. I hadn't been told to wash with it.

Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
Well I spoke too soon and tempted fate. The latest crisis turned out to be a bit more serious. After 10 days in hospital she's been fast tracked into a care home. Fast track is for people with a prognosis of less than 3 months in this world.

Mum's no longer eating or drinking. She can't really speak and is mostly asleep. Dad's taking it very badly.

We're the only family within a hundred miles. And our annual holiday is booked to start on Saturday. It's only a camping holiday on the Yorkshire coast, so no, it's not insured as when we booked it we couldn't foresee any circumstances in which we'd have to cancel it.

Don't even know what to do, let alone how to do it.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] Karl -- and Karl's Mum and Dad

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] from here, too.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

And from over here. [Votive]

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

[Votive] Fr Karl and his mum and dad. I hope a way opens and becomes clear as to what to do about the holiday. As my mother in law always says look after you as well as your family.

--------------------

Diomedes
Shipmate
# 13482

- Posted      Profile for Diomedes   Email Diomedes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Karl [Votive]

--------------------
Distrust simple answers to complicated questions

Posts: 129 | From: Essex England | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
praying....
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

Karl and all your family [Votive] [Votive]
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So sorry to hear this Karl.

[Tear]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

[Votive] Karl and family

Mrs. S, empathetic

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by Sarasa:
[Votive] Fr Karl and his mum and dad. I hope a way opens and becomes clear as to what to do about the holiday. As my mother in law always says look after you as well as your family.

Fortunately we can visit on Sunday; have a wedding on the Saturday in Leeds so can dogleg to North Yorks via Doncaster (where they live) and can come back that way the following Sunday. It's not so far (100 miles) that I can't nip back mid holiday, and Mother in Law has offered to pop in during the week. Everything happens at once doesn't it? It's our 20th Wedding Anniversary on the 17th...

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  ...  41  42  43 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016