homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » chasing the Black Dog - a depression support thread (Page 14)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  19  20  21 

Source: (consider it) Thread: chasing the Black Dog - a depression support thread
MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Prayers for you EM. [Votive]

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Posts: 646 | From: Cape Town | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Erroneous Monk, thinking if you [Votive] .

That's an awful place to be.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just waving and saying "can I put a toe in this thread too?" and knowing that y'all will say yes but being a bit shy anyway. Scared that I'm on some sort of attention seeking trip is all I guess. But yeah ... the black dog is never far from me (hey, and Doone, thanks for your kind response on the job thread) so maybe I can just stumble along with a few of you?

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] EM: may you know peace and have strength til Thursday [Votive]

[Votive] Zappa: welcome. [Votive]

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You're all so kind. Always a flicker of light in what seemed like the darkest place.

Hugs for all, including Zappa.

[Votive]

--------------------
And I shot a man in Tesco, just to watch him die.

Posts: 2950 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
((EM and all other Black Dog owners))

EM - let us know how you get on, please?

Black Dogs - DOWN, SIRS!! DOWN, I TELL YOU!!

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
EM and Z [Votive] [Votive]
Posts: 2208 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] for all

Broke down at work when my manager asked how I was. Bet he regrets asking! [Big Grin]

He is a good man though, and spent time talking to me. I am lucky in many ways. But anxiety, fear and self-loathing are bastards to overcome at times.

Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
((IC)) and ((everyone)).

I've been there. And now I often fear kindness because it might lead to my mask dropping.

[Votive]

--------------------

Posts: 2950 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Last November my GP referred me to a psychiatrist. A couple of months later I got a letter warning that it would be a long wait for an appointment. This week I got another letter. "Hurrah!" I thought "My appointment!" No. It was a letter asking me to fill in a questionaire to see if I still needed an appointment, or whether I had spontaneously recovered. Filling in the questionaire started to trigger flashbacks...

I gritted my teeth and filled out the form, because it would be ridiculous to fail to get a psychiatric appointment due to mental distress. And the north east man made me cocoa while I filled it in, and made me sit down and watch mindless TV while drinking said cocoa as soon as I'd finished.

I'm absolutely fine. But it was a close thing.

[brick wall]

[Waterworks]

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh NEQ, that really is a pain. Hope the health boffins get their collective fingers out once they get your filled-in form.

Do they have no conception of the meaning of "urgent"?

[brick wall] is about right. [Votive]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Tear] NEQ

[Votive]

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm happy to wait for an appointment, most of the time I'm absolutely fine. I don't regard myself as in need of an urgent appointment. But, getting something like this letter, where one minute I think I'm opening an appointment letter and the next I'm reading a request to THINK ABOUT YOUR WORST NIGHTMARE! THINK ABOUT IT NOW!!!! is precisely the situation I am least equipped to cope with.

Sigh.

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

[Votive] NEQ [Votive]
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
I'm happy to wait for an appointment, most of the time I'm absolutely fine. I don't regard myself as in need of an urgent appointment. But, getting something like this letter, where one minute I think I'm opening an appointment letter and the next I'm reading a request to THINK ABOUT YOUR WORST NIGHTMARE! THINK ABOUT IT NOW!!!! is precisely the situation I am least equipped to cope with.

Sigh.

The form no doubt designed by some nutter of a psychiatrist*, or possibly just a trainee admin person, sat upstairs in an ivory bungalow somewhere.

* I have known and worked with quite a few psychiatrists over the years and most of them are excellent caring folks who do a lot of good - but then get them off duty on the subject of other psychiatrists they have known...

[Votive] NEQ [Votive]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

((NEQ))

It sometimes seems like the process you have to go through to get any help is worse than not getting the help...

[Votive]

--------------------

Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm here too, Zappa.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All here [Votive]
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:
Originally posted by Amos:
I'm here too, Zappa.

Cheers ...it comes and goes

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's often the case. Many people find that their Black Dog simply will NOT stay under the bed with the other monsters...

[Disappointed]

((all Black Dog owners))

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I so agree with that. I can be going along quite happily when suddenly, like the bad dream a few days ago, something will come along and bite me on the bum.

I started another depressive episode a few months ago when I lost almost all sight and the Dr was very resistant to the idea of giving me tablets for it as I was already on [still am] a whole raft of stuff for my sight. Thankfully as my sight began to return the depression lifted, albeit rather slowly.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

[Votive] for all
Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

Saw my GP yesterday - felt supported and in control. I've accessed some free counselling via my professional body, so not going to change/increase prescription for now while we see if talking has any effect.

Sending love to you all.

[Votive]

--------------------

MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good news Erroneous Monk, you've been on my mind this week.

WW, I have had many ops for detached retinas, trauma-induced cataracts and lost the sight of my right eye through a rare glaucoma some years ago. My eyesight is stable right now, but when I've been stuck at home with bandaged or blurry eyes, it has been very hard. Sending best wishes to you --

For all here [Votive]

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

Good news EM. [Votive]

[Votive] for all [Votive]

I feel like I'm a broken record here. [brick wall]

Broke down at work to my manager again. He gave good advice, but I don't want to hear it. I just want to escape...leave...run... Anything to get out of where I am and the uncertainity over where my job is heading -- which I'm not coping well with. Doctor's appointment tomorrow, thankfully.

Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

((IC))

Is the job uncertainty due to external circumstances, or is about how you're feeling about your job? (If you don't mind me asking)

[Votive]

--------------------

Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

IC [Votive]
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

IC [Votive]

May your GP appointment be a positive step forward.

IJ

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Following Wodder's note above, I can truthfully say that my bum has been well and truly bitten by a black dog. Except for food supplies and necessary shopping I haven't been out of the house for most of this month, not even to my exercise program which, heretofore, I attended faithfully, before, during and after depressive episodes.

I sleep and eat a lot. My groceries bills are through the roof.

[Tear]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

To Uncle Pete's Black Dog:

Down, Sir! Back under the bed NOW!
[Mad]

For Uncle Pete:
[Votive]

IJ

--------------------

Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

[Votive]
Beenster
Shipmate
# 242

- Posted      Profile for Beenster   Email Beenster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I eventually capitulated and went to the doctor about 2.5 weeks ago, and broke down. The doctor was great, drugs were prescribed and I've started to feel better.

There's so much in my life that i need to change. Anxiety, circumstances, work, home. The anxiety above all has led to loneliness and the loneliness makes me depressed and so on. It goes round.

I've started counselling which I can ill-afford but i like the guy, even if he did yawn and check his phone throughout the appointment.

In some ways I feel weak and scared, in other ways I feel glad that i might be doing something about it.

ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Beenster:
I eventually capitulated and went to the doctor about 2.5 weeks ago, and broke down. The doctor was great, drugs were prescribed and I've started to feel better.

There's so much in my life that i need to change. Anxiety, circumstances, work, home. The anxiety above all has led to loneliness and the loneliness makes me depressed and so on. It goes round.

I've started counselling which I can ill-afford but i like the guy, even if he did yawn and check his phone throughout the appointment.

In some ways I feel weak and scared, in other ways I feel glad that i might be doing something about it.

Yay for the first paragraph, and solidarity on the second - I recognise so much of it, especially the circularity element.

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] for all whose Black Dogs are misbehaving, especially IC, Uncle Pete and Beenster.

I can't help thinking that the counsellor who yawns and checks his mobile all the time should contemplate a career change, but if your sessions with him are helpful, then what would I know?

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

((Uncle Pete)) ((Beenster))

Hang in there everyone. Today was a grim one. But as I go to bed, some of you may be getting up and we'll have another day together, God willing.

[Votive]

--------------------

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

Thanks all.

[Votive] for all here, and those who cannot post but want to.

And hurrah for good days.

quote:
Originally posted by Erroneous Monk:
Is the job uncertainty due to external circumstances, or is about how you're feeling about your job? (If you don't mind me asking)

How I'm feeling about the job; thanks for asking. Uncertainity is a high anxiety trigger for me, and with various questions as to what may role may morph into and with no firm idea which division I'll be in and with my dearly-appreciated manager leaving I am not coping well. Small in the grand scheme of things, but just another thing the Black Dog brings to lay at my feet.
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:
Originally posted by Erroneous Monk:
((Uncle Pete)) ((Beenster))

Hang in there everyone. Today was a grim one. But as I go to bed, some of you may be getting up and we'll have another day together, God willing.

[Votive]

Amen and [Votive]

--------------------

MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

[Votive]

--------------------

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

quote:
Originally posted by Ian Climacus:
Small in the grand scheme of things, but just another thing the Black Dog brings to lay at my feet.

I don't think it's a small thing. A lot of work uncertainties are affecting me too, and work has always been an important part of my identity, so I feel really hard hit by it.

*hug*

--------------------

Beenster
Shipmate
# 242

- Posted      Profile for Beenster   Email Beenster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So much gratitude for the kindnesses. And words. And solidarity, candles and gubbins.

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:

I can't help thinking that the counsellor who yawns and checks his mobile all the time should contemplate a career change, but if your sessions with him are helpful, then what would I know?

I overthought this at the time - i am such an expert that I wondered if I was meant to react, that it was part of a bigger picture to see my triggers / push buttons or if there was nothing at stake.

Boringly, a friend asked me out tonight. I can't do the spontaneity. i haven't been out for so long so it *feels* really big. At least I was able to be honest about not going out. Rather than pretend ... that feels like progress.

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

Wise words EM: thank you.

[Votive] for all here

quote:
Originally posted by Beenster:
Boringly, a friend asked me out tonight. I can't do the spontaneity. i haven't been out for so long so it *feels* really big. At least I was able to be honest about not going out. Rather than pretend ... that feels like progress.

Not boring, life. With all its struggles.

And I know what you mean. I did panic in the days leading up to social encounters, but at one point someone calling our of the blue and requesting, or demanding, I head on out seemed like a task bigger than scaling Everest. And caused the flight response or a complete feeling of lethargy and impossibility. You are not alone.

Progress indeed. [Votive]

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

I hope all are doing fine as winter, or summer, nears.

I have a wonderful doctor. And a great boss. A very helpful GP visit, with psychologist booked for Friday [thanks to a cancellation], and an understanding manager who was happy to comply with my doctor's request for a late start to work for a while. I am very lucky. And hopeful that a few changes of routine may help lighten the darkness.

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Late starts can be marvellous things. I have had one for a while. It does not mean I rise any later, it just means I am awake when I get into work.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd echo a distinct improvement in my own mental health brought about by negotiating a later start time.

It meant that my entire work situation had to change...but in the long term.....
( oh and massive hugs for anyone wading through treacle, i recall those days and still shudder......)

[ 31. May 2017, 18:15: Message edited by: Ethne Alba ]

Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As the first anniversary of my OH's death approaches, I'm finding it harder and harder going.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

[Votive] that the Black Dog stays under the bed, and that you get through this period safely.

IJ

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

((Amos))

Anniversaries are hard.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

[Votive] Amos and all with black dogs of their own [Votive]

--------------------

Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

Amos [Votive]
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

{{{Amos}}} [Votive]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  19  20  21 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016