homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Decluttering support thread (Page 8)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  50  51  52 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Decluttering support thread
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ever since clearing out my filing cabinet I have been shredding. I do some every day - one shredder full a day. I'm fed up of it now.

Yesterday I saw a great little new business - a small van with 'mobile shredding' on the side. They come and do your shredding for you.

I don't have enough for that - but what a good idea.

I don't enjoy shredding but would happily do it for cash!! Great idea for setting up a little business for any jobless Shippies out there.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mr T and I have had a summit meeting to agree the rules of engagement for decluttering and packing for the move.

It proceeded calmly. We seem to have made progress in handling these things after 36 years of marriage. [Big Grin]

We have a road map and a process.

I want a clean start with this move, getting new things for the new house. Taking only those things which we love or want.

Mr T is more inclined to keep things 'just in case'. He is very tidy and organised but once a thing takes up residence somewhere it is very difficult to dislodge it.

We are going to start by getting all the small items we don't want to keep either out to the charity shop or to the tip.

Then packing up all the small items we don't need until after the move, pictures, ornaments and so on.

A friend wants first refusal on any religious books I am decluttering. So that is a big help.

No news from the agents or solicitors so I am hoping the buyers aren't changing their minds.

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Posts: 600 | From: Cloud Cuckoo Land | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Shrew   Author's homepage   Email Mrs Shrew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We are hoping to exchange contracts on our very first house soon... I'm a bit terrified by the task of packing and moving, but hoping to use the opportunity to have a good clear out.

I did have great success this week in sorting out the brownies cupboard, to declutter it for the new term. There is so much stuff in there that I can't imagine we need (I took the group over at the start of the year) but at least I now have a clear idea of what is in there.
I used a set of drawers to put paper and card in, and fixed up the broken shelves with mdf so at least it will be easier to use. Now to have a 'one of everything' type night to use up some of the crafts there is about ten years worth of the last three or four of any given craft (from when you make or buy extra or when one girl doesn't turn up) so although there isn't a full set of anything, there are enough things to keep them all occupied for several meetings if I just let them pick one thing each to do.
That should make my planning easier this term at least [Razz]

--------------------
"The goal of life is not to make other people in your own image, it is to understand that they, too, are in God's image" (Orfeo)
Was "mummyfrances".

Posts: 703 | From: York, England | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In less than 4 weeks, The Intrepid Miss S and Future Son-in-Law will be married, [Axe murder] and the reception and the afterparty will have been and gone *phew*

Because the afterparty the next day is at Chateau S, I have been madly painting everything; to wit, two boundaries' worth of fence panels: ten garden chairs and two garden tables: the front door, the hall and banisters, the utility room (yes, I know, but it was awful): the dining room and the sitting room.

To attempt to clear the sitting room a bit, I suggested Mr. S buy a Brennan or similar, so he bought a Cocktail Audio onto which he has spent 5 weeks loading almost 1000 CDs. Then we double-wrapped said CDs in clingfilm, in batches to fit back into the shelving, and lugged all the shelving and all the wrapped CDs into the loft.

Thus, having spent last summer emptying the loft, we have now almost refilled it *sigh*

BUT THE LIVING ROOM LOOKS LOVELY! [Overused] and we can search the music collection from a tablet, instead of trying to see down into the darkest corner behind the sofa.

Extreme decluttering, anyone?

The Exhausted Mrs S, lightly coated with paint, but [Yipee]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Blimey, Mrs. S. [Overused] [Overused] [Overused]

My reason for not de-cluttering chez Piglet is that we've been having work done to the house which is taking forever (builder problems - don't even go there [Mad] ) and I feel no inclination to do any tidying until the place stops looking like a building-site.

That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it ... [Biased]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
WOW Mrs S - what an achievement! Congratulations.

[Overused] [Overused] [Overused]

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well done Mrs S!

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Marvellous work Mrs S - well done [Big Grin]
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes indeed, well done.

Piglet, you'd have been horrified by me yesterday - I got the va**um out and cleared away the cobwebs that have been threatening to take over the stairwell, it was looking distinctly Miss Havisham like! Afterwards I did the study and my bedroom as well.

I felt VERY virtuous.

[Angel]

[Have you noticed how vacuum and valium both look the same when the two middle letters are *'d out?]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mrs Shrew:

Now to have a 'one of everything' type night to use up some of the crafts there is about ten years worth of the last three or four of any given craft (from when you make or buy extra or when one girl doesn't turn up) so although there isn't a full set of anything, there are enough things to keep them all occupied for several meetings if I just let them pick one thing each to do.
That should make my planning easier this term at least [Razz]

Why not set them a "cardboard box" challenge. They get given a random cardboard box and told to make something of it. If these are small ones, then one each or work in pairs; if big boxes then one per six. They are free to make any of the other craft material.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you for those kind words! It horrified me to see quite how grubby everywhere was - I had no intention of doing more than the one 'feature' wall in the dining room, but as soon as I laid a paintbrush on it you could see that everywhere else was just filthy, really. I couldn't think why - 'candles' said my friend Anita and of course she was right.

Ah well, if that's the price I pay for candlelit dinners, so be it.

In fairness I should also point out that I left work on 5th July - a combination of retirement and redundancy - redundament? or hardly any of this would have got done.

(Every time we try and do something about the house or garden, I think that the garage seriously needs decluttering because that's where Stuff ends up, but I daren't suggest anything like that to Mr. S just at the moment!)

Mrs. S, resigned in more ways than one! [Yipee]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:
... if that's the price I pay for candlelit dinners ...

The Intrepid Mrs. Bucket?? [Devil]

WW, I'm horrified and impressed in equal measure ... [Eek!] [Overused]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well done indeed, Mrs S. [Overused] I hope the wedding is a truly wonderful day.

Pegging away slowly at the sorting of paperwork here at Casa Nen. It's slow and frustrating and emotionally draining but there's no option but to keep at it. [Roll Eyes]

Nen - no end in sight at present. [Frown]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

Piglet, at least if the dinner is candlelit, no-one can see the cobwebs (pace WW!) [Two face]

Mrs. S, method in her madness

--------------------

Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

I went around the house yesterday collecting up obvious things to declutter that aren't going to move with us.

Pleased that the pile was quite small. Although it was only things out on view, I haven't started delving into cupboards yet.

I also started dealing with the piles of paperwork that have accumulated while I have been distracted recently.

Pleased to see that most of it is filing/rubbish and not too many things I have to do something about, or should have done something about two months ago [Hot and Hormonal] .

I have lost an important doc needed to do a tax return. Hoping St Anthony will come to the rescue.

--------------------

Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

I have done the filing. It seems I haven't done any since April. [Hot and Hormonal]

My 'to do' list is very small and manageable. It is strange because before I started sorting out the papers I felt I had loads to do and no idea where to start.

Now all the surface 'life clutter' resulting from a recent major family drama has cleared it seems that maybe my decluttering of my own life and possessions has made more progress that I thought.

Perhaps it is like losing weight, each half pound seems invisible and interminable and then suddenly your clothes are a bit too big. This has happened too recently. I went to M&S for trousers and lo and behold had to buy a smaller size.

It would be nice to think that ever so gradually I could declutter myself out of this world and into the next without anyone noticing. Thus sparing myself and my nearest and dearest a lot of anguish and hassle. I have witnessed and had to clear up the effects of 'not going gentle into that good night' and they are not pretty.

I would like to go gently into the great eternal light, blessing and giving thanks and praise, not raging against the dying of this light where we see only darkly

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
{{{{{{{Thyme}}}}}}}

You're doing great! [Smile]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The thing I find about filing is that it rarely takes very long to actually do it - but it can take weeks or months [years?] for me to feel sufficiently motivated to tackle it! A few years ago I gave myself a solemn promise that I would file stuff when it arrived. I think the New Me lasted maybe a month.

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

Socks and thermal vests sorted and decluttered. I probably still have too many socks but have done as much as feel capable of right now. At least I can find the right matching pair for the right shoes and outfit now.

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

Anyone would think that Mr. S and I were hosting the Intrepid Miss S's wedding in our garage, as decluttering has arrived there.

Cue much 'do you know what this is?' from me, followed by 'if we don't know what it is, we don't need it' from Mr. S.

Half-empty tins of paint, old shelves, a broken set of steps, endless small packets from which 2 screws and a washer had been extracted - fun fun fun at the dump today, then we came home and did some more [Roll Eyes] Well, another trip to the dump - sorry, household recycling facility - will give Mr. S something to do while I am at Miss S's Hen Do! (my very first! [Eek!] )

Mrs. S, scraping grot from under her fingernails

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Clearing our No. 1 shed last summer (didn't get it finished but got rid of a lot) I got to be on such good terms with the chaps at the dump that they came to our carol service...!

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
Clearing our No. 1 shed last summer (didn't get it finished but got rid of a lot) I got to be on such good terms with the chaps at the dump that they came to our carol service...!

[Killing me]

--------------------

Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

L'organist -Decluttering as evangelism - how cool is that!

You could probably get a grant to form a Fresh Expression - 'Dump Church?' or maybe 'Tidy Church' [Two face]

You have more than one shed?

Mrs S - clearing the garage, [Overused]

[ 27. September 2013, 08:08: Message edited by: Thyme ]

--------------------

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Currently decluttering kitchen cupboard of pottery I've had since I was a teenager, much of it chipped or cracked. Replacing it gradually with nice Denby [Smile] also throwing a lot of baby cutlery and dishes. Now I can reorganise some cupboards.
I've got a big bag of good toddler clothes beside me and I really need to list some of it on the parenting site I frequent and charity shop/ give away the rest.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thyme:

She wouldn't be the first.
[Biased]

(I actually have two myself!)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:

She wouldn't be the first.
[Biased]

(I actually have two myself!)

Mr. S's friend John has SEVEN! [Overused]

But in compensation, we have none - a deliberate decision - which is why our garage is such a tip *sigh*

Never mind, it's better than what it were.

Mrs. S, trying to maintain clean fingernails

--------------------

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

I have one shed, two outhouses and an outside loo to store my clutter in! And this is a modest ex-council house.
I'd love another shed [Smile]

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

Love the Monty Python clip!

I have just remembered that in our last house I installed two quite large sheds in the garden [Hot and Hormonal] It was a very long time ago so that is my excuse for forgetting.

Mr T was very fed up when we had to leave them behind.

We have one shed in this house. My main regret is that I didn't get a bigger one.

I decluttered the herbs and spices yesterday. That was embarrassing.

[ 27. September 2013, 17:14: Message edited by: Thyme ]

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our local animal sanctuary wants feeding bowls. Hurrah! think I. A chance to get rid of the food bowls which belonged to our cats, the last of which died in 2009. So I unearth them. They're rather dusty. I put them through the dishwasher. At this point, my daughter claims that they are "sentimental" and we can't get rid of them. She thinks we could start using them again, perhaps as nut dishes, or to serve olives. I point out that one has "Pussy" printed on it, and the other three have a paw-print design. Daughter fails to see why this precludes them being used to serve nibbles to guests.

[brick wall] [brick wall] [brick wall]

It shouldn't be this hard to declutter a cat-food bowl four years after the last cat's demise.
( [Votive] Cleo [Votive] Agnes)

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
Our local animal sanctuary wants feeding bowls. Hurrah! think I. A chance to get rid of the food bowls which belonged to our cats, the last of which died in 2009. So I unearth them. They're rather dusty. I put them through the dishwasher. At this point, my daughter claims that they are "sentimental" and we can't get rid of them. She thinks we could start using them again, perhaps as nut dishes, or to serve olives. I point out that one has "Pussy" printed on it, and the other three have a paw-print design. Daughter fails to see why this precludes them being used to serve nibbles to guests.

It shouldn't be this hard to declutter a cat-food bowl four years after the last cat's demise.

[Killing me]

Mrs. S, tickled [Yipee]

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:

[Killing me]

Mrs. S, tickled [Yipee]

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The paw print design bowls have gone (our vet, just round the corner, has a collection point for the sanctuary, very handy) but we still have the "pussy" bowl. [Disappointed]

I've lost a piece of paper. I've had a good rummage and can't find it. However in the course of looking for it, I've half-filled our paper-recycling box, have caught up on several Radio 4 programmes and have re-sighted the study carpet.

So that's always something.

The big declutter starts (D.V.) next week.

Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

[Killing me] so funny about the cat bowls North East Quine.

I have been decluttering bits and pieces here and there.

Mr T commented that the bins were very full and heavy this week and asked what I had decluttered.

I couldn't remember!!!! Just shows how important it all was.

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

6. pm - The big declutter started!
6.30pm - First argument with husband over the first item I intended to declutter.

It's a bottle of 40% proof Russian vodka. Husband was given it about 8 years ago, and told to store it in the freezer. It took up valuable room in our freezer, where it was out-of-sight-out-of-mind to husband. Eventually I needed the freezer space, and put it with the rest of the alcohol. Husband spotted it and put it back in the freezer, intending to drink it. Except that, once in the freezer, it was out-of-sight etc. Till I turfed it out, he remembered it and put it back in...

It's been doing the hokey-cokey in and out of the freezer for eight years, without ever being opened. I think I could usefully use it as drain cleaner. But no! Husband assures me he will drink it....one day. There's currently no room in the freezer, so he can't drink it yet.

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK. Back in the freezer. At conclusion of meal you bring him frosted glass and say: Iss wodka dorogi moi. Drink!

If he doesn't, drain it yourself. Possibly spend evening singing song of the Volga Boatmen. Continue until bottle is empty.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Bloody hell, Firenze - I'm getting a hangover just reading that post!

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
Bloody hell, Firenze - I'm getting a hangover just reading that post!

[Roll Eyes]

We set up a tradition when I lived with son and DIL. Mid-afternoon in summer on a Sunday and all on the enormous covered balcony on living level of house. Son would make freshly squeezed fruit juice and vodka.

Then roast dinner and Dr Who.

Of course none of this is really decluttering, but it will empty that bottle.

[ 26. October 2013, 04:27: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

I am not drinking anything 40% proof. Especially not when the label is in Russian and I can't read it.

We have some dodgy-looking Nepalese brandy, too, but it's at the back of a cupboard and not annoying me.

I have great plans to declutter and clean the kitchen today!

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Could you use it as Russian window cleaning fluid? Never having used Russian Vodka to do that myself, but i get the feeling it might be rather good.
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It doesn't have tobe a big glass - just a shot, but cold enough that it sticks to your fingers. Nothing nicer as a digestif. Nor does it give you a hangover.

Which is more than can be said for last night's wine tasting. Mind you, just as soon as the hammering stops, we're going out to buy a case of the Chilean rosé sparkler.

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

We had lots of friends round for a meal last night (20!) and one staying over.

Lots of decluttering done. NOW I know why my friend's house is so tidy - she regularly has visitors to stay!

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Taliesin
Shipmate
# 14017

- Posted      Profile for Taliesin   Email Taliesin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Isn't all vodka 40% ?? And how can you pour it from the freezer... or does vodka not go solid..?

Just put lots of mixer in it,NEQ. It's far less lethal than wine or stuff like sherry.

I have to get rid of clothes this week. Very hard. And help my mother, too. House so full she can't use one room. Depressed about it. We're going to put everything in boxes and stack it up.

Posts: 2138 | From: South, UK | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by Taliesin:
Isn't all vodka 40% ?? And how can you pour it from the freezer... or does vodka not go solid..?

The freezing point of pure ethanol is -114C. Unless you make your vodka in an oil drum out the back, it's unlikely to be quite that strong, but it will have a freezing point substantially below the range of an average domestic freezer.

Wine will though, which is why, when you pop in a bottle of Veuve Clicquot, it's important to repeat loudly and at frequent intervals 'Wine in freezer!' unless you want to be picking shards of glass out of the fish fingers for weeks to come.

Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

Boogie - having visitors used to be the only thing that kept my house anywhere near presentable.

I remember when daughter announced a sudden visit at short notice to stay for the weekend with sil and grandchildren.

I had to get up at 5.30am and clean till time to go to work and then all evening after work for a week! It was after that I decided Something Had To Be Done. Enter Flylady via Ship of Fools.

This weekend's effort is to declutter the books pending the Big Move. Cleared out a large crateful. I hardly dare whisper it as contracts aren't quite exchanged, but the house is sold.

Tomorrow's task is to buy boxes and a huge roll of bubble wrap.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
... repeat loudly and at frequent intervals 'Wine in freezer!' unless you want to be picking shards of glass out of the fish fingers for weeks to come.

Been there, done that. Ours wasn't bubbly though, so it didn't actually explode. IIRC we put the broken bottle into a tall plastic jug until it defrosted, then poured the resulting mixture through a coffee-filter and a sieve. The wine was fine, but the jug had to go as lots of little shards had sort of embedded themselves in the plastic ... [Eek!]

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

We have been decluttering ourselves of a bottle of plum wine, which was rather lovely. Finished it last night, so it's the vodka next!

Went onto Fly lady this morning, and intend to follow her suggestion of decluttering the living room this week.

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

I might follow your example and revisit Flylady, I found it very helpful last year.
Perhaps I should follow your other example too, and raid the drinks cabinet... [Big Grin]

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Cara
Shipmate
# 16966

- Posted      Profile for Cara     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I need to read this thread regularly. But my mind is too cluttered to remember it is here.

Clutter is my bête noire and always has been. Have found regularly visitors is a real help.

Now preparing for a move so must Confront It. Blech.

Have cleared out two modest carrier bags full of books. Piles of magazines (am trying to pass books and mags on to people who will enjoy them, as they aren't rubbish, but not much luck).

Today may address a) clothes--need to give some away.
b) hoard of newspaper articles about nice places I may travel some day.....

Or may c) spend too long on the Ship, d) finish a bit of writing that is more fun than anything else, or e) go out for a walk in the amazing warm sunshine.

(Hmm. Could kill two birds....sort clothes and take nice walk with give-away ones to box where they can be deposited.)

--------------------
Pondering.

Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

Packing and organising to move. Feeling overwhelmed. Everything seems chaotic.

Also, I thought my house was reasonably clean but in the packing process I am getting filthy!!!

Lots of decluttering going on though, including Mr T's stuff, which otherwise would just have stayed where it was forever.

Can I face moving every few years just to force a major declutter? No.

However, this first move will probably be a temporary one while we look for somewhere permanent. So maybe there will be more decluttering scope the next time round.

Trying to organise the boxes so we can leave a lot of stuff unpacked till the final move.

The removal firm advises not having the boxes so heavy we can't lift them ourselves. Not for their benefit but for ours. So the really heavy items like books have to be mixed with lighter items, or have millions of half filled boxes....

This makes it harder to devise a logical method of filling the boxes to assist in the unpacking.

Cara - 'amnesty' is your friend. The objective is to get the stuff out of the house. Give yourself amnesty from finding good homes for it all or recycling it or whatever. Just get it in the bin or down to the tip.

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Trying to organise the boxes so we can leave a lot of stuff unpacked till the final move.

The removal firm advises not having the boxes so heavy we can't lift them ourselves. Not for their benefit but for ours. So the really heavy items like books have to be mixed with lighter items...

I have two tips from my last move.

1)Buy some contact paper with a very conspicuous print. Cut large squares and paste them on every surface of the boxes that you need access to before you make the final move. You need to label the boxes also, of course, but it helps to know at a glance which boxes you can ignore temporarily.

2)Buy your own boxes for books. Try to locate a box factory near you. (I was surprised to learn that there are small box factories all over, at least in the US.) I bought boxes that were designed to hold four gallon jugs filled with liquid. I could lift them when they were filled with books. The drawback is that I had to buy them in quantities of twenty-five. However, I had enough books to fill them.

Good luck with your packing!

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  50  51  52 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016